Deal coming into focus in Madison?

posted at 12:45 pm on March 5, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Governor Scott Walker continued to play hardball yesterday with the fleeing Democrats in the Wisconsin Senate, announcing that as many as 1500 state workers would get layoff notices in 15 days unless his budget repair bill passed.  In the Senate, Republicans continued negotiations in what appears to be an attempt to allow them to save face without budging on the core reforms in the bill:

According to GOP sources familiar with talks on the bill, the discussions with Democratic senators holed up in Illinois include removing or changing a provision from Walker’s budget-repair bill that would limit unions’ bargaining over wages to the rate of inflation. The talks have also touched on the possibility of removing or changing a provision that would require workers to vote every year on whether their union would remain active or be decertified, the sources said.

The last provision especially is anathema to Democrats and unions, who say it could kill many labor groups. The sources asked not to be identified because they had no clearance to speak and because the talks were still delicate.

The Republican governor acknowledged Thursday that his administration was in talks with Democrats but declined to provide details. He also signaled for the first time in the budget crisis that he might be willing to make at least a marginal change to his budget-repair proposal.

Those two provisions may be the most provocative, but are not the most critical to reform.  Employees can call for a decertification vote in most instances if 30% of the shop expresses a desire for such an election, usually by card collection.  I’ve worked in a business with a union shop that held two decertification votes in two years; the second was successful.  Putting an upper limit on wage negotiation to the rate of inflation would make it easier for the state and local governments to plan budgets, but as a cost control measure, it’s secondary to eliminating collective bargaining on pensions and benefits.

At least according to the Journal-Sentinel, the terms do not appear to include the biggest reforms in Walker’s bill.  Creating an open shop with no state collection of dues will choke the union, and at least the latter can probably be done through executive order as Mitch Daniels did in Indiana six years ago.  Putting it into law carries more force and makes it impossible for a later Democratic governor to undo through unilateral action, but at least for now the jig is up on union dues collections.  Eliminating collective bargaining on pensions and benefits will shut down the WEA Trust, another major source of income for unions through price-gouging on health insurance.  Almost any deal that retains those reforms will be well worth the trade-offs.

Negotiating with politicians who refuse to engage in the legislative process could very well encourage more fleebagging down the road, so in one real sense, the GOP could end up legitimizing the tactic.  I’d guess that the Republicans are only going to bother with this for a few more days before breaking out the reforms in a separate bill and passing them under normal quorums if the Democrats don’t take the face-saving offer soon, whether Walker wants to do so or not, or at least well before the 15-day layoff deadline.

Update: I wrote Illinois when I meant Indiana, where Mitch Daniels is governor.  I’ve corrected it above.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

what a uselessly stupid planet sized hypothetical question

Dave Rywall on March 5, 2011 at 2:02 PM

What?

Why is it hypothetical? You either agree with it or not.

darwin on March 5, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Why would this be a problem? After all, unions are so great and all…

ladyingray on March 5, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Yeah I know. Unions are great! They protect the little guy!

Take away compulsory membership and they fall apart. Gee … I wonder why?

darwin on March 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Hey someone should ask Hannity, O’Reilly and Limbaugh what they think of the situation.

They would have some keen insight since they’re union members.

Dave Rywall on March 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Don’t need to ask.

Here’s Hannity.
Here’s O’Reilly.
Here’s Limbaugh.

unclesmrgol on March 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM

What?

Why is it hypothetical? You either agree with it or not.

darwin on March 5, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I think DRywall is getting “hypothetical” and “totally destroys my argument” mixed up again.

Ampersand on March 5, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Hardball? Walker is not playing hardball, he is still holding up the game while one kid pouts on the sidelines about not getting to play first base. Hardball is ignoring the kid and getting everything and I mean EVERYTHING done you can possibly get done without a full quorum, including sending out the layoff notices…yesterday….and splitting the bill to pass the collective bargaining portions seperate from the budget. Let the chips fall where they may, at this point your damned if you do damned if you dont so you might as well follow through with what you said you were elected to do.

Koa on March 5, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Sounds like they are negotiating at the edges a tiny bit, while preserving the most crucial elements of the bill — no more government confiscation of pay via union due – the unions will have to do that on their own; and no more collective bargaining for pensions. If Walker and the GOP can get these creeps back, still get those two provisions above through as law, and look all “bipartisan” while they’re doing it, I say it’s a good strategy.

I would, though, force the fleebaggers to apologize to the people of the State of Wisconsin as part of any deal. Their behavior has been horrific. They must be called to account for it.

Rational Thought on March 5, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I’m pretty sure they do. BOR stated that FOX doesn’t force you to be in a union to work there.

Ampersand on March 5, 2011 at 2:27 PM

FOX has nothing to do with it. It’s the state. NY compels union membership. (Or an amount equal to union dues to be sent to the union)

ButterflyDragon on March 5, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Koa on March 5, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Actually, he is playing hardball by not splitting the bill.

He has stated that the collective bargaining aspect of the bill is financial in nature. Because they will turn around and just load up benefits, increasing costs, while not touching wages.

If he breaks it out in a separate bill, the Democrats and the Unions will have an A-HA! moment. They will point to it and say, “see, this was a union busting bill and it had nothing to do with the budget”.

ButterflyDragon on March 5, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Ampersand on March 5, 2011 at 2:29 PM

FOX doesn’t, but the state of New York does for broadcasters and other media types.

I can’t believe this is a surprise to everyone.

ladyingray on March 5, 2011 at 2:41 PM

ButterflyDragon on March 5, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Now I’m just confused. BOR stated that you don’t have to be in a union to work at FOX but you would if you went down the street to work at CBS or ABC. He stated that he doesn’t have to join a union but he decided to on his own. That doesn’t make sense if what your saying is true. I believe you. I just don’t get BOR’s point. If FOX has no say then how can they give employees a choice.

I worked in the city and know it’s a union town. I personally LOVE the fact that the union said we had to have a guy in the freight elevator pushing the floor buttons for us. I couldn’t have pushed that floor 22 button on my own. I really liked how the fat guy used a stick to press the buttons because raising his hand every time was just too taxing.

Ampersand on March 5, 2011 at 2:49 PM

ButterflyDragon on March 5, 2011 at 2:40 PM

While completely understanding, why he hasnt, my point is still that he should be past the point of caring about “A HA!” Moments. He has made his argument, which I agree with. Everyone is clear on the reasons at this point, so split those components out and pass them seperatly. Then let the fleebaggers explain what they are standing out for then.

Koa on March 5, 2011 at 2:51 PM

I can’t believe this is a surprise to everyone.

ladyingray on March 5, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I myself grew up in a right to work state. When I moved out of state, I moved to a right to work state and was totally ignorant of closed shops.

It wasn’t until I went to NYC for a trade show one year that I realized something was really, really different. I had a booth on the Pier and was unloading my truck and was ready to carry some stuff to my space when this guy with a union button on comes up to me and tells me I can’t do that.

I was taken back and sort of shocked by being told I could not perform my own work. It was surreal to see half the people standing around like me and the other half running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

I was in my mid 20′s and that was my first direct (and personal) experience with a union. Sure, I had read all about unions in school. But to actually see how inefficient and bloated the structure became due to union activities, it opened my eyes.

I would imagine about half of our country has no idea what unions and union activity is like because they’ve never been directly exposed to it.

ButterflyDragon on March 5, 2011 at 2:55 PM

The Weekly Standard has interviewed 3 R Senators who face recall and they say that they are not compromising. It’s in the headlines.

…and DRywall, Public Employee Unions is what the ruckus is over. get a clue. My Dad had his own contruction company and he joined the carpenters union just to keep their silly butts away from his work sites. Mom has a medicare supplement plan through the carpenter’s union and it’s good but it ain’t cheap!

Vince on March 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Hot Air is linked, with a new progressive anti-Walker attack ad out of Wisconsin: ‘Americans Support Making Public Employees Pay More for Benefits and Retirement Programs’.

Donald Douglas on March 5, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Breaking News! 2 of the Wisconsin fleebaggers appeared in Chicago today with everyone’s favorite microphone mongering/TV camera chasing media hog, Jesse Jackson, demanding that Gov. Walker renegotiate with the unions!

pilamaye on March 5, 2011 at 3:02 PM

ButterflyDragon on March 5, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I once had to move my office. I dutifully packed a box with my stuff, put it across the arms of my office chair, and was in the process of rolling the entire thing down the corridor to my new office when my boss came up and said that I couldn’t do that — the movers would have to do that, because their union contract said only they were allowed to move offices. I said I wasn’t moving an office — I was only moving this box and this chair, and the office itself was firmly in place and the movers were welcome to move it anytime they wished. My boss laughed and let me proceed.

unclesmrgol on March 5, 2011 at 3:03 PM

pilamaye on March 5, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Oh … that’ll go over well in Wisconsin. I wonder how publicity hungry and useless mouth piece for any cause that gives airtime Jackson talked the fleebaggers into that one. Stupid move.

darwin on March 5, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Yup. He dosn’t strike me as being particularly obtuse, but as a typical liberal deliberately marrying the two entities (private v. public sector unions) to elevate the argument. This is how messaging has gotten away from the Republicans on the issue with the help of the Leftwing media–creating paranoia and fear in the populace.

The fiance has been a member in the IUOE union for 7 years. In that time he’s seen an income rise from the low 50′s to just over 6 figures annually. There’s work, and each time he moves on to a different enterprise, the established negotiations have been fair. And i’ve noticed, the more profitable the company–the better the deal all around.

RepubChica on March 5, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Facebook people, go here and tell Governor Walker to stand strong and to reign in his GOP Senators!!!

Stop whining and be proactive!!!

ladyingray on March 5, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Why don’t we encourage the same “discussion window” before shoving new legislation down on the state level like we are on the federal level? Or is it because the power in WI have R’s next to their name, we don’t care?

Rainsford on March 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM

1500 out of 300,000 govt employees. He needs to lay off at least 15,000. And not just as a bargaining ploy. 300,000 govt employees for Wisconsin is madness. That’s 1 govt employee per 18 Wisconsin residents.

angryed on March 5, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Rainsford on March 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Why don’t you care about fairness for the taxpayer? All you care about is union control over state and local budgets so a small minority of people can bribe democrats to give them more and more pay and costly benefits that the people who are paying for it don’t have.

darwin on March 5, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Rainsford on March 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM

YOu need a life or at least some other interests. Sheesh. One note only.

CWforFreedom on March 5, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I have to tip my hat to the Dems. They know how to play politics,

When polls were 60/40 against Obamacare, they passed it. They don’t care. They win elections, the use that power to implement their agenda.

Republicans on the other hand see one bad poll and they cave on everything. Happens each and every time regardless of what the issue is or who the players are.

Yeah the MSM is with the Dems and that helps their cause. But still the MSM has been with the Dems for the past 50 years. It shouldn’t be a shock to Republicans that they will be the bad guy on the 6 o’clock news. They should be prepared to deal with. Yet every time there is a showdown like this, the Republicans are deer caught in the headlights.

I don’t get it. I just don’t get it.

angryed on March 5, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Lay them off now.

gdonovan on March 5, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Rainsford on March 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Kind of hard to have “discussions” when the sore losers are holed up in Illinois.

Knucklehead on March 5, 2011 at 4:06 PM

but can he cover Tom Petty songs?

ted c on March 5, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Only if he puts a clothespin on his nose.

JohnGalt23 on March 5, 2011 at 4:15 PM

chemman on March 5, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Didn’t I hear you on Rush last week?

RalphyBoy on March 5, 2011 at 4:32 PM

uselessly stupid

Dave Rywall on March 5, 2011 at 2:02 PM

That’s Dave all over.

Del Dolemonte on March 5, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Rainsford on March 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM

They had debate for days and allowed amendments to be offered but when it came time for the senators to vote, they tucked their tails and ran.

On the Federal level, since the dems controlled everything, the Republicans didn’t even get the courtesy of being allowed any input at all.

See the difference in parties?

Vince on March 5, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Wisconsin Republicans should have been taking advantage of the Democrats absence to pass every bit of “non-fiscal” legislation on the agenda. The prohibition on union dues collection should have been passed weeks ago, for example.

The Republicans have been threatening to so X,Y & Z (without doing it) for so long it’s become apparent they’ve lost their nerve. They seem to think getting some Democrat to vote for a “compromise” will somehow protect them in the future.

BD57 on March 5, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I have to tip my hat to the Dems. They know how to play politics,

I don’t get it. I just don’t get it.

angryed on March 5, 2011 at 3:48 PM

My sentiments exactly.

SagebrushPuppet on March 5, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Should have split out the money parts of the Bill long ago–before the mess and the public acrimony. The Dems may just make a habit of this. That needs to be prevented too while they have the votes to do it. Still, Walker knows his state better than I do and maybe the way he’s calling it is for the best. Wait and see. I no longer care much about what happens in WI. I am quite through with folks who vote for fiscal sense and then renege when the chips are down. I have lost respect for them. Lack conviction it would appear. Hard to govern a State like that.

jeanie on March 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Not only did that race baiter Jesse Jackson drag his sorry a.. to Wisconsin, now Mikey Moore dragged his ample a.. there today to whip up the Union thugs. This thing better get done soon or we are going to lose any chance of passing this.

sandee on March 5, 2011 at 6:06 PM

ButterflyDragon on March 5, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Agree with all you say, and have experienced the same thing in Chicago with a professional trade show. I think this will open eyes for many that did not see any of it.

wi farmgirl on March 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

They would have some keen insight since they’re union members.

Dave Rywall on March 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Don’t need to ask.

Here’s Hannity.
Here’s O’Reilly.
Here’s Limbaugh.

unclesmrgol on March 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Hmmmm, why are so few drive-by media types forthcoming about their union membership. Seems like something they should disclose when “covering” controversial union issues.

forest on March 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

darwin on March 5, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Yeah makes me totally change my mind.

wi farmgirl on March 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM

My understanding is that the union contracts require advanced notice of X days before layoff notices are handed out. So Walker did this part of the layoff process on Friday. Once that time frame runs out, then the actual pink slips get issued to the employees affected.

Regarding Rush, Sean and Bill O who were stated to be in unions and what did they think –

FoxNews is an open agency shop, based on what they have said on air. So you don’t have to be in the broadcaster union to be on foxnews or work for foxnews. When this was discussed a few days ago, Monica Crawley was on Bill O. She stated that she surrendered her various union memberships because she was not required to be one to do what she does. Bill O kept his union membership out of loyalty to his union. Apparently 30 years ago, whoever he worked for when he was onair somewhere, tried to screw the employees out of their pension contributions. Apparently the union saved the day and Bill O has been grateful ever since. Sean may not have to belong to a union to do his fox show, but remember he is on 500+ radio stations. There may be a broadcaster union rule there, same for Rush.

Rush stated on his show Friday that for any company in trouble, you can usually find a union at that company, same for a union that went to Mexico or China. This was in response to who I think was a seminar caller touting how wonderful her union was. However, he did delineate between the private sector and public sector unions.

Dave Rywall or whatever that poster calls himself, fails to fully understand that public sector unions are NOT the same thing as private sector unions. Private sector unions negotiate with the owners of the company, or the designated management team of the owners, in the case of companies who have stockholders.

Public employee unions negotiate with elected officials who depend on donations to fund their campaigns to stay in power. Nowhere in this equation does anyone consider the taxpayer and the taxpayer’s best interests. Up until this Wisconsin debacle captured national attention, most people just were not aware how unholy this public sector alliance is with the public sector unions.

In my case, I was at Opryland for a convention a few years ago. I arrived a couple of days early and the people at the hotel were all government union people doing some meeting. That is the first time where I fully grasped that the unions had made such an inroad into the government offices. I felt uncomfortable with this realization thinking, what the heck do these people have to worry about regarding their job conditions, etc. The second time that I realized what a lock the unions had with the democrats was how their Get Out The Vote efforts were so effective in dragging Harry Reid’s sorry ass over the finish line on election day, defying what the polls showed for that election. The union GOTV was worth 6 points in that election. In the Nevada case, both the public and private sector unions worked together to get that horrible man re-elected.

Then we have the WI debacle. I had not realized that the public sector unions now outpace the private sector unions in membership. I had not really realized that the unions donated HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars toward elections. I knew they contributed to the dems, but I fully did not understand the magnitude of that political funding. This unholy alliance is nothing but a transfer of wealth from the taxpayers to the public sector employees with the gleeful help from their democrat elected officials that depends on the public sector unions for political donations as well as the get out the vote efforts.

No where in this equation does anyone do their fiduciary responsibility of considering the best financial interests of the taxpayers themselves. The Dems COUNT on the taxpayers just being too busy raising families, making a living (or trying to), and living their lives to be aware of how they are being screwed by their elected officials.

Besides balancing budgets, getting the federal debt under control and reduced, we need to work on making every state a right to work state and for the public employees, eliminate payroll deduction for union dues as well as force union certification elections on an annual or bi-annual basis. Force the unions to EARN their existence.

Governor Walker has the right solution. Hopefully he will stick to this stand and we won’t get wobbly R’s in the Senate.

karenhasfreedom on March 5, 2011 at 6:30 PM

ButterflyDragon on March 5, 2011 at 2:55 PM

wi farmgirl on March 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Me three, and in Dallas no less. The halls that the big trade shows and whatnot often end up in a union lock because money from some level of government was involved in the construction. If you give them a hard time they can go blind and claim to not see your shipment.

slickwillie2001 on March 5, 2011 at 6:33 PM

That’s one aspect of unions I don’t like. Heard also that if you have your own employees paint your store, office, whatever and the painters union finds out…you’re in trouble.

That’s just racketeering.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 5, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I don’t get it. I just don’t get it.

angryed on March 5, 2011 at 3:48 PM

money

equanimous on March 5, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Oh, brother, Michael Moore, rallies the slackers: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/117463643.html

onlineanalyst on March 5, 2011 at 8:18 PM

This is unclear. You should have said

In the Senate, Republicans continued negotiations in what appears to be an attempt to allow the Democrats to save face without budging on the core reforms in the bill:

sabbahillel on March 5, 2011 at 8:28 PM

No deals… If the fleebaggers stay away, break up the bill and pass it as best you can…

Khun Joe on March 5, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Am I the only one confused by the sign in the picture?

It looks, on first glance, like the usual high caliber, nuanced debate that we expect from the left, with “Walker = Hitler, can you tell the difference?”

But then it says, next to it “I can’t”, and underneath it, “If you can’t, you must be in a coma.”

Did a mischievous tea partier either photoshop that last part in, or even better, actually change the sign while the guy/gal carrying it was taking a break? If it was the latter, that would be awesomely hilarious.

RINO in Name Only on March 5, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I don’t get it. I just don’t get it.

angryed on March 5, 2011 at 3:48 PM

money

equanimous on March 5, 2011 at 8:16 PM

I don’t think it’s “money.” It goes deeper. It’s something congenital in the modern Republican, a missing piece, an atrophied muscle. It’s a result of poor education, some bequeathment of inferiority, and the shock of trauma. I think the government shutdown of 1994 deeply traumatized the GOP, and set up a terrorizing mythology about the power of the media and the Left. Since then we have seen no proactive, determined and sustained advances or pushback against the Left by republicans. They seem emboldened only when they know they will lose anyway — the noble failure for show. The best they seem to be able to is hope democrats self-implode. Anyway, it’s the cause of our plight. Until we get a leader who can take on the media and take us through the shitestorm to the other side without flinching, nothing will change.

rrpjr on March 5, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Gosh, I wish I really gave enough of d*amn to fence with Rywall, but to be truthful,reading what he comes up with is like listening to Pee Wee Herman; “I know you are, but what am I?”

Give it a rest, Rywall. You’re a bad case of hemorrhoids.

creekspecter on March 5, 2011 at 10:57 PM

creekspecter on March 5, 2011 at 10:57 PM

All you need to know about that maroon is that he claimed to be a member of Canada’s parliament and was in the US navy under Carter and “secret” circumstances.

arnold ziffel on March 5, 2011 at 11:52 PM

why another 15 day deadline???

cmsinaz on March 6, 2011 at 9:31 AM

just saw your post karen re: the 15 days…wished he had done it sooner…
thanks

cmsinaz on March 6, 2011 at 9:35 AM

The Democrats are the ones who stand to lose faith if they come back. Only a Dem would see this as Republicans losing face giving the Dems a crumb to come back.

Herb on March 6, 2011 at 9:50 AM

“Of course union leaders are sensitive to the working class. That’s how they avoid belonging to it.”

- Garry Trudeau

When even the creator of “Doonesbury” knows that unions are full of crap…

ExUrbanKevin on March 6, 2011 at 11:38 AM