Huckabee: Natalie Portman a “distorted image” of single motherhood; Update: “I did not slam or attack Natalie Portman”

posted at 12:58 pm on March 4, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

It was almost 20 years ago when Dan Quayle made a fictional single-mother pregnancy into a political football, criticizing the television show “Murphy Brown” for Candice Bergman’s portrayal as an argument that fathers were “dispensable.”  Now Mike Huckabee, at least a potential candidate for the presidency in 2012, has decided to criticize Natalie Portman’s very-much-nonfictional pregnancy as portraying a “distorted view of single motherhood”:

The day after 29-year-old Natalie Portman won the best actress Oscar, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee appeared on “The Michael Medved Show” and slammed her for giving a “distorted image” of single motherhood, reports Us Weekly.

Portman is expecting her first child with fiance Benjamin Millepied, with whom she worked on the set of “Black Swan.”

Medved prompted the discussion about Portman by saying she appeared “visibly pregnant” and sent a “problematic message.”

“[O]ne of the things that’s troubling is that people see a Natalie Portman who boasts, ‘We’re not married but we’re having these children and they’re doing just fine,” Huckabee told Michael Medved. “I think it gives a distorted image. It’s unfortunate that we glorify and glamorize the idea of out-of-wedlock children.”

Huckabee said Portman’s pregnancy was “troubling,” adding that most single parents don’t have the same resources to support children as the “Black Swan” star.

Michael Medved routinely comments on cultural issues (and excellently, I might add), so this is right in his wheelhouse.  Obviously, so does Mike Huckabee, with his own show on Fox.  Huckabee’s background as a Southern Baptist minister certainly informs his public dialogue.  And on the facts, both are correct; single motherhood has become a major factor in poverty, crime, and other social ills, along with other causes more related to public policy than personal choices.  Families with two committed parents allow children to develop healthier than they otherwise do, on average, as reams of social studies have shown.

As a conservative cultural commentator, Huckabee hit the right notes.  If Huckabee wants to run for President, however, generating a debate over Natalie Portman’s pregnancy specifically doesn’t seem like a good choice, especially with the echoes of the Murphy Brown debate as context.  Regardless of how single motherhood relates to others, Portman certainly has the resources to ensure that her child won’t fall into poverty.  Also, given the description of Millepied, it sounds as if they will be rectifying the main complaint in a short while anyway.  Perhaps Portman will end up setting a good example by marrying the father of her child, something that happens far too infrequently in Hollywood and everywhere else.

Besides, when was the last time Hollywood provided a good example of family life, especially in real life?  Charlie Sheen may be an extreme example, but the entertainment industry is hardly known for its commitment to stable families.  Portman’s example, considered in contrast to many of her colleagues, looks pretty good, and she seems committed to giving her child a two-parent environment.  At least she didn’t terminate the pregnancy. That may sound like damnation through faint praise, but given the “role models” Hollywood produces, Portman is at the very least an odd target for a presidential contender.

Update: A couple of more points from e-mailers. First, Portman said during her acceptance speech that motherhood would be her “most important role” and thanked her fiance for it. For that, she took a lot of heat from feminists, as The Week noted earlier. Second, a number of people are claiming that Huckabee’s criticism could have been directed at Bristol Palin, but she hardly sought out the role of spokesperson for single motherhood, and tried twice to marry the father of the child, who turned out to be a cad.

Update II: Huckabee responds in a statement to CNN:

Mike Huckabee is explaining comments he made earlier this week criticizing Oscar winner Natalie Portman for being pregnant and unmarried.

“In a recent media interview about my new book, A Simple Government, I discussed the first chapter, ‘The Most Important Form of Government Is a Father, Mother, and Children,’” Huckabee said in a statement obtained by CNN. “I was asked about Oscar-winner Natalie Portman’s out-of-wedlock pregnancy. Natalie is an extraordinary actor, very deserving of her recent Oscar trophy and I am glad she will marry her baby’s father. However, contrary to what the Hollywood media reported, I did not “slam” or “attack” Natalie Portman, nor did I criticize the hardworking single mothers in our country.” …

Huckabee, a Baptist minister who ran for the 2008 GOP presidential nomination, said when wealthy actresses have children without being married, they set a bed example for the rest of America.

“There aren’t really a lot of single moms out there that are making millions of dollars each year by being in a movie,” Huckabee said. “I think it gives a distorted image that not everybody hires nannies and caretakers and nurses. Most single moms are very poor, uneducated, can’t get a job, and if it weren’t for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death and would not get healthcare.”

What do you think?  If Huckabee wants to run for President, is this a fight he should pick?  Take the poll:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Or perhaps you are incapable of understanding a response to your post. Read your post and read my response to it and nothing else. And after the smoke clears maybe it will come to you.

NotCoach on March 4, 2011 at 4:23 PM

If you can’t read a comment in context of the continuing discussion throughout a thread, then admit it. Otherwise, read the rest of the posts, come on back, and try again. Your selective blindness holds little interest to me.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Uh, I think I get it. You have a tendency to belittle the intellect of those who disagree with you.

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I don’t deny this.

NotCoach on March 4, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Tranquility Base here, the narcissist has landed.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I’ll check yours out if it will make you feel better.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Yikes

AsianGirlInTights on March 4, 2011 at 4:27 PM

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 4:20 PM

99% of the sane population in this world would look at the post I responded to and understand. Cheer up though, you still might be sane. I figure at least 1% may make the mistake you made.

NotCoach on March 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM

It wouldn’t be unusual since his older brother was miscarried.

mizflame98 on March 4, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Correction. It was Track’s younger brother who passed.

mizflame98 on March 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM

You guys should really amble on over to the new AP post on the massacre of rebels in Libya today. AP actually asks what it will take to compel this administration to do something about it!!!

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I’ll check yours out if it will make you feel better.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Ouch. That was…kind of a legit question and I wasn’t upset.

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Tranquility Base here, the narcissist has landed.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:26 PM

That isn’t narcissism.

NotCoach on March 4, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I wouldn’t disagree that celebrity single parents present something of a distorted image, but then so do celebrity parents with spouses.

And Portman isn’t even single. So this is all completely unnecessary and pointless.

Esthier on March 4, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Ouch. That was…kind of a legit question and I wasn’t upset.

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 4:31 PM

That was kind of a legit offer, and neither was I. ;)

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 4:20 PM

NotCoach on March 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Sorry, that wasn’t meant for you cynccook. That was meant for:

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:25 PM

NotCoach on March 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM

That isn’t narcissism.

NotCoach on March 4, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Hm. You respond to an excerpt of a conversation centered around Sarah Palin, and we’re supposed to read your mind and figure out that you’ve excised her from the discussion? In other words, you tried to take the discussion off on a tangent, and get pissed that we don’t follow you. Maybe you should explain what part of that isn’t narcissism.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Is every occurrence in every celebrity’s life fodder for comment?

If nothing else, how about the glass-half-full response? “Hey, Michael, she’s planning to bring a new life into the world. Shut your piehole and let’s talk about Obama’s Kenyan roots.”

BuckeyeSam on March 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Esthier on March 4, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Huck would have been better served using the show Teen Mom/MTV as an example. Talk about unintended consequences…stupid girls are lining up for their 15 minutes of fame (trying to get pregnant to get on the show) even though the program clearly depicts single motherhood pretty accurately.

(By the way, where/how have you been? Haven’t seen you in awhile.)

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM

that’s easy….elect Palin in 2012…

unseen on March 4, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I’ll check yours out if it will make you feel better.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM

LOL!

Dr MadisonConservative, Gynocologist MD

portlandon on March 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Dirty womb invader. :)

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Dr MadisonConservative, Gynocologist MD

portlandon on March 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Knock it off. You make me sound like Ron Paul. :P

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:43 PM

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:36 PM

You don’t know what pissed is either. And I don’t mean being drunk just to clarify. Did you mean being drunk?

I have said all I can say on the matter. You fail at reading comprehension and I like to belittle dim bulbs when they annoy me. Be annoyed is not being pissed BTW.

NotCoach on March 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Do you think Obama is an isolationist? Is isolatinism always a bad strategy?
Oops wrong thread.

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Dirty womb invader. :)

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Knock it off. You make me sound like Ron Paul. :P

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Stop. I have a headache from laughing. Oh, my sides.

portlandon on March 4, 2011 at 4:45 PM

As long as Natalie supports the baby and not us taxpayers I’m OK with it…it rarely works that way, though. Now as to the moral implications, I think that’s a lost cause in this country anyway.

Unless a woman’s married to a knuckledragger who beats on her, cheats on her and so on it’s usually the woman’s choice to be a single mom (seems almost a badge of honor these days). In my view, women in this day and age tend to be very “loose” and are every bit as bad as the “cool dudes” who seem intent on impregnating as many females as possible.

Also, from what I’ve seen, many women cheat on their spouses and those marriages often end in divorce and those women then become single mothers…but probably getting child support from the husband, WIC, and other assistance.

Seems to be a heck of a lot of single mothers’ children be raised by the kids’ grandparents nowadays.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Can we please have a Huckabee break for a while. I don’t watch his show (which in endlessly repeated on FNC) and now I seem to see some HA post on him. Mike seems approximately the least Presidential to me of all (Palin, TPaw, Daniels, Newt, Romney…oh, hell, I’ll even throw in Barbour…all are more Presidential). A Minister, yes I’ll buy that, a President…sorry.

r keller on March 4, 2011 at 4:45 PM

You fail at reading comprehension…

NotCoach on March 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Says the mental midget who ignores some posts and reads others, then clucks in annoyance when context is pointed out to them.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I do not find Palin presently my ideal candidate, as her fans can attest from former threads wherein I’ve pointed out a disturbing previous lapse of judgment. But live and learn.

For the record, I’d rather support the Libertarian-Republican ’12 POTUS candidate than another neoconservative that refuses to distinguish between national defense BEGINNING WITH OUR INTERIOR AND BORDERS and habitual reflexive responses that go beyond singular attacks but require expansive military invasion campaigns that are designed to remain abroad, yet forfeiting military installations that we build after invading and “nation building” Islamist democracies (Sharian theocracies as the majority rules), expending our troops impeded by PC Rules of Engagement designed to ultimately insure military failure while “winning the hearts and minds of the enemy”. These arguments have been propounded in the Air Force Magazine by military personnel. Aside from our national bankruptcy, the crux of the matter with requiring more invasion military forces is that Gates has already made the cuts to implement his agenda that curtails our Military’s ability to fight more than two simultaneous war fronts. Bluntly, America is no longer armed to proceed with more nation building wars in Islam. And that is what the neoconservatives would produce, rather than energy independence in America, more war machine, the very thing that Eisenhower warned us NOT to do at all costs, to avoid falling into that pit of no return. Yet the bipartisan neoconservative war drums are beating now. As if it has the authority, INTERPOL announced today that they’ve issued arrest warrants for Qadhafi and sons. And exactly what would be the point of toppling Qadhafi; what was the point of toppling Mubarak? These revolutions are not funding themselves. For all the propaganda of being “spontaneous” they were coordinated. And what has become of “Sandmonkey” who posted the revolutionary demands that no one from the Mubarak government be tolerated in government any longer? Finally, consider how Americans would accept the UN or China dictating how the USA will settle the union arguments vs. Legislatures, for instance. Bush argued it better to take the fight to “them” than allow “them” to attack us here. Yet Ft. Hood in Bush’s backyard hosted terrorism at home. And Americans are too distracted with wars abroad to concentrate with common sense to secure our borders and to repeal PC mandates and PC Policy from this administration, Congress, the Military, and Judicial Activists from AG Holder down who rule for inequality before the law through “Social Justice”.

The Libertarian constitutional conservative would represent priorities best dealt with in the most achievable order, beginning with our economy and secure Dollar.

As Mark Steyn and Hugh Hewitt agreed last night, NONE of the Republican Leadership has attended any Tea Party rally or supported Tea Party agenda to realistically CUT SPENDING NOW.

maverick muse on March 4, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Dirty womb invader. :)

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Well, I am a neoconservative.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Do you think Obama is an isolationist? Is isolatinism always a bad strategy?
Oops wrong thread.

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Now I show confusion at your tangent, and if you’re NotCoach, you express contempt and annoyance that I’m not telepathic.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:49 PM

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:49 PM

This is from a new HotAir headline musing about Qaddafi’s potential cache of chemical weapons. It reminded me of a prescient article from last summer that I read. This Huckleberry Hound thread is played out.

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 4:51 PM

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Ignorant and/or thick is not synonomous with telepathic.

NotCoach on March 4, 2011 at 4:52 PM

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I understood. But thanks for clearing things up for MC.

NotCoach on March 4, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I understood. But thanks for clearing things up for MC.

NotCoach on March 4, 2011 at 4:53 PM

You two have got a real Sam and Diane thing going on here, haven’t you?

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Ignorant and/or thick is not synonomous with telepathic.

NotCoach on March 4, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Well, we know you’re not the latter.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM

You two have got a real Sam and Diane thing going on here, haven’t you?

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Please don’t compare me to Ted Danson.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM

You two have got a real Sam and Diane thing going on here, haven’t you?

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I take issue with that.

;)

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Sarah and todd get married: 8-29-88
Track is born: 4-20-1989

Maths.

Abby Adams on March 4, 2011 at 1:16 PM

That still doesn’t prove he was conceived out of wedlock. I don’t know if he was or not, but those dates don’t prove anything.

TexasAg03 on March 4, 2011 at 1:58 PM

So pregnancies normally last less than 8 months?
MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Just drop it, MC. Unlike you, that young man serves his country. There’s no good reason to ridicule his life. Especially coming from your own public position promoting abortion.
maverick muse on March 4, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Cute. Except that I neither attacked Track Palin, nor do you know the extent of my service to my country.
MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Stolen Valor, coy boy. You have military service under your belt? Given your litany of accomplishments that to date have not broadcast military service to our nation, don’t feign being a veteran if you’re not. What’s that? You like playing G-Man at HotAir. And your unattractive point to ridicule the Palin’s first baby’s birth date is your own.
maverick muse on March 4, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I didn’t bring it up, you worthless cretin. Someone else did. Even so, you continue to harbor this confounding fear that Sarah Palin isn’t the Virgin Mary. Astonishing. Oh, and and you may as well give up asking about the extent of my service given your contemptible and vile smear in your 4:02 post, scum.
MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Selective memory won’t suffice, you worthless cretin.

Your own hang-ups over the Madonna and married conservative women are your own problems. Not mine.

maverick muse on March 4, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Please don’t compare me to Ted Danson.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Yeah! Sam Malone was a handsome ex-baseball player! Maddy is…well, he’s Maddy.

/extremesnark

gryphon202 on March 4, 2011 at 5:03 PM

maverick muse on March 4, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I’m sorry, mm, didn’t mean to leave you out — we can make it a bizarre love triangle instead.

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I take issue with that.

;)

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I guess NotCoach was right. I must be obtuse, because I don’t understand this comment?

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Give it up Huck. Now is not the time for a Bible Thumper. We need budget cutters or nothing else will really matter.

Hummer53 on March 4, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Huck lied to O’Reilly about his book the other night. He did NOT mention Indonesia on page 183.

takeamericabackin10 on March 4, 2011 at 5:07 PM

maverick muse on March 4, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Your bizarre obsession with me is your own problem.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Click my name. :) Dumb joke on my part, though.

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Click my name. :) Dumb joke on my part, though.

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM

LOL I thought maybe you were angling to become MadCon’s sweetie.

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 5:11 PM

How to lose the 2012 election to Obama in 3 easy steps:

1. Talk about abortion.
2. Talk about gays.
3. Demonize popular young actresses.

Well played Huck.

angryed on March 4, 2011 at 5:13 PM

maverick muse on March 4, 2011 at 4:02 PM
I never ridiculed the Palin’s first baby’s birth date, you imbecile. Seriously, it’s just awe-inspiring how many of you seem to be hanging by a thread with the woman you defend like cult members. Why is it such a terrifying prospect to you that Track might have been conceived before marriage? That’s neither an insult to Track or to his mother, except in your own minds.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Because its none of your f**king business, that’s why!
And Natalie Portman’s pregnancy is none of anyone’s business
either.

Amjean on March 4, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Candice Bergman has had a tough persona and Quayle got shot right out of the sky, criticizing Natalie Portman is bad juju and its hardly Presidential.

Don’t quit your day job Huck and hope apologizing enough will let you keep it.

Speakup on March 4, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Well played Huck.

angryed on March 4, 2011 at 5:13 PM

He’s not trying to win the 2012 election for himself or the GOP. This is brand management on his part. Huck makes his money as a media figure, a career that was launched by the free publicity from his 2008 campaign. If the free publicity in 2012 helps the value of his brand with his niche, he’ll run again.

dedalus on March 4, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Bee, I completely agree. It’s sad really.

I got a new job, and though there’s plenty of downtime there, I have no privacy and have been surrounded by libs and don’t want to argue. It’s easier just staying in the political closet.

Esthier on March 4, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Classic Huckabee. ‘No, I did not say what you just heard me say.’ Then he offers up some distracting non sequiturs and blathers on about what a great guy he is for supporting whatever. LOL Why? Why would any conservative or Repub ever support this lying POS?

JimP on March 4, 2011 at 5:22 PM

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 5:11 PM

And risk getting MC cooties? NEVER.

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 5:22 PM

What the he’ll is up with Huck this week? The Obama / Kenya thing, now this.

Vyce on March 4, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Esthier on March 4, 2011 at 5:21 PM

That sounds…difficult. Do you like it, high liberal concentration aside? (You can email me if you don’t want to talk about it here.)

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 5:31 PM

And risk getting MC cooties? NEVER.

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 5:22 PM

LOL Awwww…poor MadCon can’t catch a break today!

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I would rather Huckabee and Ed keep their moral judgements to themselves.

Now if there was no poverty, crime, and other social ills in two parent families then maybe you could preach that example as the truth. It could be a number reasons for these problems besides a single mother and I would say a lack of education of the single mom would be a far more important factor than whether daddy sticks around or not.

I guess I would rather see Huck and Ed worry about their own families without judging and commenting about other citizens problems and challenges.

Wasn’t it reported that Huck’s son was developing his inner serial killer by torturing animals?

chief on March 4, 2011 at 5:45 PM

LOL Awwww…poor MadCon can’t catch a break today!

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 5:41 PM

He’ll be fine.

He’s a close friend. I know what he can handle. ;)

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Bee, it’s a good job, and I finally jave health insurance for the first time graduating college. In fact, I’m allergy testing now and need this.distraction. soooo want to scratch.

Things are definitely looking up and the coworkers are.friends. I’m hoping I can subtly influence them without them realizing it.

How’ve you been?

Esthier on March 4, 2011 at 5:51 PM

He’s a close friend. I know what he can handle. ;)

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 5:49 PM

And I know what you can’t. ;)

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 6:04 PM

LOL Awwww…poor MadCon can’t catch a break today!

cynccook on March 4, 2011 at 5:41 PM

No, but I did catch something from Bee…

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Esthier on March 4, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Insurance is good! Sorry to hear about the allergy testing. I have to get that done soon, as well. Dreading it.

I hope you have much success in your political proselytizing!

And I’ve been fine. Bought a house, remodeling, killing myself over paint fumes. Usual stuff. ;)

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 6:13 PM

And I know what you can’t. ;)

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Yeah, like saying you caught something from me?
*cries*

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Yeah, like saying you caught something from me?
*cries*

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Hey, I wear these sores with pride!

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Bought a house? That’s exciting. They can be a lot of work, but it’s worth it. we got ours in may last year and still don’t know quite what to do with it, but we keep adding to it. What remodeling? Mostly painting or do you have more skills?

The allergy testing is annoying, but at least now I know it’s not just my cat and I get pills. Poor kid in the.other room isn’t handling it well.

Esthier on March 4, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Sores? What exact are you into, mad?

Esthier on March 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Esthier on March 4, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I shouldn’t say remodeling, yet. More renovation. We are going to break down a wall and add a laundry nook downstairs, though. But, yeah, at this point it’s painting and beginning a board and batten project now that the basement den is done. ugh.

Kid? Hubs or…?

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 6:34 PM

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 6:26 PM

As I said, mean.

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Sores? What exact are you into, mad?

Esthier on March 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Can’t say without risking legal action.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 6:39 PM

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 6:39 PM

You’ve been drinking that pink lemonade again, haven’t you hon? ;)

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 6:51 PM

You’ve been drinking that pink lemonade again, haven’t you hon? ;)

Bee on March 4, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Hard Pink Lemonade, thank you very much.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Huckabee is a commentator with opinions. He isn’t wrong in the least about his presentation on this issue. He certainly didn’t criticize Portman directly. His “distorted image” comment is not incendiary or bashing in the least. It’s a statement of observation that her situation is completely unrepresentative of the norm. There are hazards which attend that presentation. Many members of society look up to celebrities are heroes and role-models, and (often foolishly) follow their example. Although the media and the celebs themselves do nothing to prevent that, it is certainly a decision made by the individual, and caveat emptor.

Again, Huck spoke the truth. Will it be politically hazardous that he did so? Should that be a litmus test for his every spoken word?

Freelancer on March 4, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Kid? You mean my last comment? I was still at the doctor’s, and a kid in the other room was screaming. Can’t say I blame him, but it’s not too bad. It really is worth it just to know.

Esthier on March 4, 2011 at 8:34 PM

There are children living with both parents, one parent and without parents in each income bracket. The majority of children in the lower income brackets live with one parent while the majority of children in the higher income brackets live with both parents. There is a strong correlation between poverty and single parent families.

Natalie Portman will be an exception to this. In a sense, she brings to mind the movie Pretty Woman in which Julia Roberts ran away to Hollywood, became a prostitute, beat the odds and met a handsome, loving billionaire. Most girls in her situation end up drugged, diseased and / or abused but then, I doubt if movies made about them would be big hits.

Laurence on March 5, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Which is exactly what makes her unrepresentative of single motherhood in general. The children of women who take Portman as a role model may fall into poverty.

Good for Huckabee for pointing out that Portman presents a “distorted image” of single motherhood.

I plumped for “Yes, definitely” – since Huckabee probably isn’t going to be President anyway (and wouldn’t make a good one), he should just say what he likes.

aengus on March 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM

As the Huckster kind of rubs me wrong anyway, I think he really needs to jump in on this one with both feet, and ride it all the way home.

Koa on March 5, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Mike Huckabee hits a Double and the Leftist Media Cries Foul

Compares Mike Huckabee’s answer to Michael Medved to the teen pregnancy question posed by Gerry Garibaldi’s Dallas Morning News piece on unwed teen pregnancy

texasconserv on March 7, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Who cares if he did attack her? I really think most actors are too irrelevant to waste our time with….They live in an alternate universe….They can do whatever they please with no repercussions….

theaddora on March 7, 2011 at 7:48 PM