Good news: Obama now brewing his own beer at the White House

posted at 5:39 pm on March 4, 2011 by Allahpundit

Look at it this way: Unlike golf, at least this hobby keeps him in the building. Besides, given his track record, there are bound to be a few more hastily arranged damage-control “beer summits” before he leaves office. He might as well have his own supply.

I’m mighty curious to try it. I imagine it being a bit like him: Well packaged and frothy, but lacking substance and leaving a bitter, bitter aftertaste.

The blog Obama Foodorama reported this week that the president’s Super Bowl party featured a selection called “White House Honey Ale,” brewed right at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Foodorama notes that Obama is the first president since George Washington to homebrew beer, and the very first to offer the brew at the White House. (Washington was a perennial self-brewer, the blog said, but he’s the only president who didn’t live in the White House.)

Lest you doubt that this is for real (not Birthers but Beer-thers?), the Foodorama blog has photos of the label and a surprisingly in-depth post on the making of it — sans recipe, alas. This isn’t the only DIY adventure the White House chefs are having these days, either. Are you ready for … Obama cheese?

Supposedly, a low-end home brewery rig will run you $60 and a high-end one just $200-400. I’m tempted to do a little experimenting myself and come up with the first official RINO beer — “Candy-Ass Ale” — but the beer I’ve been drinking lately is already plenty candy-ass. I wish I was joking. I’m not.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Deschutes Bridgeport Brewery’s

Hop Czar

Bend Portland, Oregon, baby!

Christien on March 4, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Christien on March 4, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Well that’s it…surely he can’t be a Marxist as they only drink white wine.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2011 at 8:18 PM

So is this a propaganda program to try and recast little Bammie as a ‘regular guy’, a man-of-the-people, anything but an intellectual elitist?

slickwillie2001 on March 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM

It’s not beer. It’s beer-flavored Kool-Aid.

Tzetzes on March 4, 2011 at 8:22 PM

My only question – does it taste like “Billy Beer”? Named for President Jimmy Carter’s brother Billy. This is indeed an unfortunate chain of brewing events.

Dr Evil on March 4, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Three pages of comments and I can’t believe nobody made the parallel.

More than once Obama has been compared to Jimmy Carter on multiple fronts. Well we have now reached a new parallel. Obama is now his own Billy Beer, er Obama beer. So the circle is complete. Only difference is Obama eliminated a middle man. He’s –2, 2, 2 idiots in one!

Expect to see Bammy Beer on the shelves in places like Detroit, Atlanta, New Orleans very, very soon.

Dr. Dog on March 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Do they have the permits and FDA approvals?

lonestar1 on March 4, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Looks Like A Big Fried Egg Beer, courtesy of The Firesign Theatre

BTW, in the early 90s Firesign did a short Reunion Tour of the Fae East, and recorded it for posterity. At the Washington D.C. show, President Bill Clinton was in the audience.

He had to leave early to sneak back to 1600.

Del Dolemonte on March 4, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Is he still smoking? Do we have a drunkard in the White House?

Sultry Beauty on March 4, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Does anyone else think that Obama would market his signature brew, Hops ‘n’ Change, to a thirsty horde of urban malt liquor lovers apres le deluge?

disa on March 5, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Is he still smoking? Do we have a drunkard in the White House?

Sultry Beauty on March 4, 2011 at 11:37 PM

I will bet you $20K that he’s still sneaking cigs. Does his character impress you as one of steely discipline? Because that’s what it takes to quit.

disa on March 5, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Maybe I’m too country but that sure seems a prissy little pilsner glass to actually drink from.

Caststeel on March 5, 2011 at 2:07 AM

With just a hint of arugula

Lest you doubt that this is for real (not Birthers but Beer-thers?)

AP on a roll today.

Chip on March 5, 2011 at 7:25 AM

So many ways to go with this. Barry Beer, Liberal Lager, Alinsky Ale, Progressive Pilsner, Communist Kegger, Socialism Sauce…or simply, Billy Beer II.

Kevin71 on March 5, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Folks who brew their own beer most often brew a beer that closely parrots their own personality. (I read that in Beer magazine a long time ago.}

So…the new “White House Honey Ale” should most closely resemble something akin to Michelob Ultra Light.

So, it should have a name everyone recognizes; has no substance, no flavor. Bitter aftertaste. Essentially just a bunch of effervescence easily rendered stale. And vastly overpriced.

coldwarrior on March 5, 2011 at 8:28 AM

The blog said the president and first lady Michelle Obama bought the equipment with their own funds..

It also goes on to say:

The chefs, who are led by Executive Chef Cristeta Comerford..
[snip]
there are about a dozen chefs, all told–and a number are exploring the wonders of boiling and bottling.

“It’s a collaborative effort,” Stephens said.

Don’t know what a White House Executive Chef earns.. Or, what the other chefs earn,

but, 12 man-hours/hour, adds up pretty fast.

At the end of the day, that’s some pretty expensive “Home Brew” being charged to the taxpayer.

franksalterego on March 5, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Billy Beer? It was a big media joke when he made it. President Bush because of being on the wagon could have never gotten past the media doing it. So, no biggie except to name it.

Barrack’s Best
Barrack’s Brew
1600 Pennsylvania Pale
Moochies Malt
Marx Malt
Liberal Lager or smaller bottles = (Progressive Ponies)
Barry’s Beer

hawkdriver on March 5, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Homebrew is awesome. Not even Obama can ruin that for me.

bitsy on March 5, 2011 at 8:53 AM

slickwillie2001 on March 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM

You know that’s what it’s all about.

Saying Obama is brewing his own beer is like saying the pharaoh is building his own pyramid. (Or even that Michelle hoes and weeds her own garden.) It’s the servants who do all the work. Just a cute little publicity trick.

petefrt on March 5, 2011 at 9:02 AM

He has the time to brew beer? No wonder he was late to the Egyptian party. What man drinks beer from a glass. They said it was an IPA, India Pale Ale, it does have a bitter taste but is good with a slice of lime. The best out here is Scapegoat from Big Sky Brewery. I’ll put their beer up against anything the Bamster comes up with.

Kissmygrits on March 5, 2011 at 9:07 AM

wow he brewed some beer

who gives a flying f*ck

Dave Rywall on March 5, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Oh, he’s doing it with the help of a dozen chefs? That sounds more like my Barry, the kid who always had hands lifting his ass for him along the road of life.

disa on March 5, 2011 at 9:57 AM

I brew a kick-ass Honey IPA, if I do say so myself.
I didn’t know he was a home brewer. I’m kinda glad to hear it.

Geronimo on March 5, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Mooch Ale

justltl on March 5, 2011 at 10:20 AM

AP that cherry was kinda candyass, but the pumpkin wasn’t bad in small doses.
SA winterlager was a hit around here this season, though.
I likes me some t-bones and ribeyes with that one.

OkieDoc on March 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM

AP, that stuff is awful. Might I recommend the following:

Found it on a business trip, and have been a fan ever since.

Bigurn on March 5, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Yes, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is absolutely horrible stuff. I guess, if you like cherry cough medicine it isn’t so bad. If you want a good cherry beer you should try Founders Cherry Porter or Cherise made with tart cherries. Bell’s Cherry Stout is awesome too.

Jay on March 5, 2011 at 12:04 PM

I guess brewing beer proves he’s not a practicing Muslim, just a Jack Muslim.

kd6rxl on March 5, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Ahh, Nikita’s best.

Speakup on March 5, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Is beer a health food?

tullius on March 5, 2011 at 2:04 PM

At first I thought of all the digs I could make out of this. Then for the first time I can actually identify with him doing something human like me. Of course you need a home brewing license and proof of age (birth certificate).

jpcpt03 on March 5, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Non-alcoholic beer?

ploome on March 5, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Does anyone else envision that the average day for Obama is an hour of meetings in the morning and then the rest of the day spent meandering through the White House, playing video games, shooting some basketball, watching television, etc.

Like a bored teenager stuck in the house unable to leave.

ButterflyDragon on March 5, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Is beer a health food?

tullius on March 5, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Why yes, yes it is!

catmman on March 5, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I guess that laser beam has been focused on the beer instaed of the jobs

J_Crater on March 5, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Actually – and someone has already said this – it’s mead. And I’d like him more if he had his kids help make it like we did ;-) Very RenFest of him I must say.

BrideOfRove on March 5, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Let me make my suggestion…Pure ale, strong flavor, leaves you wanting more…Why not go ROGUE, Allah?

ProudPalinFan on March 5, 2011 at 6:57 PM

This is the beer we drink when we go back home to PR

ProudPalinFan on March 5, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Strictly puff piece/photo op material. He had about as much to do with this as Michelle did with the planting and tending of the vegetable garden.

Look at the pic – he doesn’t even look as if he likes the taste. You can always tell it’s just a photo op if he’s displaying the old Obama empty eyes.

That said, I love beer, and homebrewed beer, as much as the next gal. Was just at a friend’s house last night sampling their latest batch as well as some homemade cream soda.

Missy on March 5, 2011 at 10:12 PM

So we can really call him a piss artist now?

andycanuck on March 6, 2011 at 12:28 AM

“The blog said the president and first lady Michelle Obama bought the equipment with their own funds (an aide did not specify when) in advance of serving it at the February gathering…”

Will we ever discover which brewmeister flies in once a month to check for doneness.

davod on March 6, 2011 at 5:24 AM

Kissmygrits

Well, when you get it from a keg…

And what man puts fruit slices in his beer

firepilot on March 6, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I’ll stick with Leinenkugel’s, the pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867!

Khun Joe on March 6, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Maybe a drunk Obama will be able to do less damage than a sober one. That’s something, right?

R. Waher on March 6, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I’m sure someone has said this already, but: Imagine if this were George W. Bush, with all the other conditions the same.

(That’s counterintuitive, of course, since the conditions would not all be the same if Bush were still in office.)

But the point is, Bushbrew would be the biggest evidence of Satanic evil ever unearthed by human intelligence. If it were George W. Bush.

J.E. Dyer on March 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Two very serious points.

1) Making beer for yourself and your family appears perfectly legal in D.C., but isn’t there a tax you need to pay when serving this beer at an event, even if you do not charge admission?

2) Same thing goes for USDA/D.C. inspection of the brewing, bottling, and storage process. I know if you sell cookies at “an event” anymore, you need to produce them in a kitchen that has been approved, or you can get seriously fined.

Georgfelis on March 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Mmmm…mmmm…mmmm…Marketing!

dkmonroe on March 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Well, we had Billy Beer when Carter was President – now we can have Bammy Beer.I’ll stick with Pabst Blue Ribbon !!

LODGE4 on March 7, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Barry Beer. Promising rich taste, bitter unsatisfying after taste. Drinking Barry beer will make you believe that you are smarter than anyone else, better looking than all the rest and that government is the solution to everything. Highly endorsed by the the NYT. Caution! Drinking too much Barry beer will make you dumber than the average democrat voter.

jistincase on March 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM