Quotes of the day

posted at 10:54 pm on March 2, 2011 by Allahpundit

“I’m not surprised the NY Times chose to sensationalize this story. In fact, the New York Times, the AP, and other news organizations ran with the ‘sensationalized story’ despite being specifically told by Steve Malzberg himself that they were incorrect in their assessment of the sound bite. You just can’t help but laugh when my simple slip of the tongue, becomes a huge story – and a certain Presidential candidate claiming to visit all 57 states, gets widely ignored.”

***
“Is the idea that Obama’s intellectual history should be tied to his personal narrative and to a father whom he barely knew really all that crazy or racist? I recall some guy writing a book along those lines once. Obama has also spoken himself about the impact growing up in the developing world has had on his views.

“More broadly, the line that Serwer’s dismissing here is the fringe of an argument that’s worth taking seriously: Obama’s roots in politics, to the degree he thought about foreign policy at all, are on the left, in the campus anti-nuclear movement and in an academic Chicago milieu in which Palestinian activists recalled him as sympathetic. He moved right on all sorts of things as he approached the national stage, but as he puts a very personal stamp on American foreign policy at a turbulent moment, it’s legitimate to look at his personal education.”

***
“Huckabee’s claim that he misspoke when he said–twice–on the Steve Malzberg radio show that President Obama grew up in Kenya raises more questions. That’s because of the context in which Huckabee made his claim…

“Try substituting Indonesia into [his original] comments and it makes little sense.

“Indonesia used to be a Dutch colony, known as the Dutch East Indies. The British controlled Malaysia, which is kind of close to Indonesia, but the Mau Mau uprising took place in Kenya in the 1950s. Churchill, the British prime minister when the uprising erupted in 1952, put it down and Obama’s grandfather, Hussein Onyango Obama, was detained during the conflict…

“So Huckabee’s whole statement kind of falls apart, especially when Kenya is replaced by Indonesia. What was he really thinking?”

***
“Somewhere in the midst of all this, I’m considered guilty of hate speech, incompetent to be president. It’s really one of those things where it must be that there are people in the media who are afraid that I might end up getting some traction running for president and beating Barack Obama. I can’t figure out any other reason that they would be so exorcized over a verbal gaffe that I have immediately not only acknowledged but corrected and am in print being very clear as to exactly what I meant.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 4:03 AM

Odd isn’t it. You nailed it. Blind denial is a form of psychosis.

Geochelone on March 3, 2011 at 4:10 AM

I rarely drink coffee. I has discovered some terrific shaklee cinch herbal teas, I like the promegranate flavor.

karenhasfreedom on March 3, 2011 at 4:11 AM

karenhasfreedom on March 3, 2011 at 4:09 AM

Steak & eggs and toast.

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:11 AM

karenhasfreedom on March 3, 2011 at 4:09 AM

You only live once. Whip somethin’ up. Karen-Has-Freedom, right? Break all the rules. Its a brand new day. Live it.

Geochelone on March 3, 2011 at 4:12 AM

karenhasfreedom on March 3, 2011 at 4:11 AM

Double espresso and a calm (Chamomile) tea puts me in a nice even zone. I’ll refrain from SoCal speak. You dudes and dudettes would not get it anyway.

Geochelone on March 3, 2011 at 4:14 AM

Wow. Mickey Rooney suffered elder-abuse from his stepson.
How many ex-wives does the guy have?

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:15 AM

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:11 AM

You lived out here. Ever have huevos rancheros? To die for.

Geochelone on March 3, 2011 at 4:17 AM

Steak & eggs and toast.

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:11 AM

That’ll do fine. I’ll bring the DR. Pepper…

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 4:18 AM

Ever have huevos rancheros? To die for.

Geochelone on March 3, 2011 at 4:17 AM

Love them.

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:19 AM

Wow. Mickey Rooney suffered elder-abuse from his stepson.
How many ex-wives does the guy have?

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:15 AM

I see you’ve cracked open your People Magazine…Rooney strikes me as a tough dude, surprised he got messed around…16…

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 4:19 AM

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 4:18 AM

My older brother drinks that for breakfast.

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:21 AM

Odd isn’t it. You nailed it. Blind denial is a form of psychosis.

Geochelone on March 3, 2011 at 4:10 AM

And from “our side”, too. With friends like this, who needs dems?

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 4:21 AM

I see you’ve cracked open your People Magazine

…Rooney strikes me as a tough dude, surprised he got messed around…16…

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 4:19 AM

My local news replay told me.

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:22 AM

My older brother drinks that for breakfast.

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:21 AM

Sounds like a good man…

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 4:22 AM

Sounds like a good man…

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 4:22 AM

A very conservative Christian.
Yep, a good man.

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:24 AM

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:19 AM

Drove down to the tip of baja (Cabo San Lucas) once with my homies. Took three days one way. But man I will tell you they got breakfast down and I mean down. Lunch and Dinner as well with the true authentic style, oy, so good. Course corona helps.

Geochelone on March 3, 2011 at 4:25 AM

My local news replay told me.

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:22 AM

Makes sense — Rooney, Boys Town, Omaha…

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 4:25 AM

Course corona helps.

Geochelone on March 3, 2011 at 4:25 AM

So doe this. My cerveza of choice.

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:28 AM

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:28 AM

Bet you have a white beard…

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 4:30 AM

Damn. Shoulda’ got some coffee. Cobweb head.

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:31 AM

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 4:30 AM

Why yes, yes I do.

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:31 AM

Damn. Shoulda’ got some coffee. Cobweb head.

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:31 AM

Wac’s is on the way…

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 4:33 AM

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:28 AM

Good choice.

How about Tecate out of a can with salt and lime juice on the rim. The aluminum enhances the taste.

How about Negra Modelo, not bad, its dark.

Asahi (Japan) is nice and dry. Had one for lunch.

Geochelone on March 3, 2011 at 4:34 AM

Now they are talking about a teen girl who was huffing some aerosol spray. She sliced off a utility pole and wound up in a ditch.
Huffing while driving.

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:35 AM

Classic Huckabee. He lies with the aplomb of Clinton and Obama.

JimP on March 3, 2011 at 4:36 AM

Geochelone on March 3, 2011 at 4:34 AM

Yep. I like ‘em all.

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2011 at 4:36 AM

And from “our side”, too. With friends like this, who needs dems?

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 4:21 AM

And female no less.

Geochelone on March 3, 2011 at 4:38 AM

Think I’ll hit the sack…’Night Geo, ‘Night OC, ‘Night Karen, ‘Night JimP…Mornin’ csminaz…

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 4:41 AM

Geochelone on March 3, 2011 at 4:38 AM

Don’t get me started…

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 4:42 AM

Nite all. I’m gone.

Geochelone on March 3, 2011 at 4:44 AM

back, had some cheesey toast. Now my cat is between me and my computer while I am posting from my lazyboy. She is purring away. I like breakfast burritos myself. If it wasn’t 15 flipping degrees outside, I would have jumped in my car and driven to sonic. That is the only thing on their menu that I like to order.

Meanwhile, if anyone is still up or will be getting up before 5:50 EST, turn on o’reilly’s show and you will see Huck getting grilled by O for this gaffe. Maybe 5:48 am.

karenhasfreedom on March 3, 2011 at 5:01 AM

To caption this photo: “Aaachoo!”

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 3, 2011 at 5:45 AM

morning joe seems a little thin skinned this am…

can dish it out but can’t take it…

pathetic

cmsinaz on March 3, 2011 at 6:11 AM

Well, how about Michelle’s slip of the tongue? She said Obama was born in Kenya too.

JellyToast on March 3, 2011 at 6:33 AM

I don’t care if it was just a slip of the tongue, or LSD induced delusions. I just want Huckabee to go away.

Slowburn on March 3, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Huckabee was on O’Reilly last night talking about this verbal gaffe.

Huckabee Explains Controversial Kenya Comments

texasconserv on March 3, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Huckabee was on O’Reilly last night talking about this verbal gaffe.

Huckabee Explains Controversial Kenya Comments

texasconserv on March 3, 2011 at 7:50 AM

It wasnt a Gaffe, he was lost.

the_nile on March 3, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Perhaps Huckabee now appreciates, only by initiation, the media’s “Share the wealth” bitterness previously reserved for Palin.

His eyes are opened. Does he remain in ego denial?

maverick muse on March 3, 2011 at 8:05 AM

All this “birther” stuff does is strenghten Obama and make his opponents look foolish. That’s why he’s in no hurry to flash his birth certificate.

Tools like Huckabee aren’t helping the cause.

the_souse on March 3, 2011 at 8:19 AM

the_souse on March 3, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Evidence, please? Maybe you’re referring to the ’09 elections for the governorships of VA and NJ and Ted Kennedy’s seat… oops, that can’t be it, we won those. Maybe you’re referrng to the midterms? Oops, again. We won those, too. Yeah, “birtherism” (which is on the rise, mind you) has NOT hurt our cause one little bit.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 3, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Huck and Slick are from the same home town in Ar. Has Huck ever claimed to be able to see Russia from his porch?

Kissmygrits on March 3, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Kissmygrits on March 3, 2011 at 8:38 AM

You mean like Tina Fey.

Slowburn on March 3, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Kissmygrits on March 3, 2011 at 8:38 AM

No ,but releasing cop killers is what makes Huck tick.

the_nile on March 3, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Bingo. I agree completely that Obama’s biography as the son and grandson of Kenyans is a legitimate topic for exploration vis a vis his worldview, but Huck does seem to be confused here, at the very least.

Buy Danish on March 3, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Yes, Huckabee would be a better President than Obama. So would a one-eyed, snaggle-toothed, tailless, three-legged barn cat named Lucky. Not good enough. We need bold, courageous leadership if we are to begin to pull ourselves out of this swamp. Huck ain’t it.

SKYFOX on March 3, 2011 at 8:56 AM

On Cue Chris Matthews called Huckabee a racist something like what would you expect from a southern governor…so the Democrats are giving up on the southern states. They might as well, almost all the blue dogs from the southern states got wiped out in November 2010. How do the quasi socialist expect to win elections when they are constantly insulting huge demographics of “Voters” ???

Obama can’t win reelection without the Independents, and his stooges on MSNBC are calling them racist. When you paint everyone with a broad brush you hit people unintendedly with that same brush…And speaking of racist, Chris Matthews has stereotyped Southerners, based on geographic history, and skin color..Chris Matthews should look in the mirror, he will see the face of a racist.

Obama doesn’t seem to have a problem with protesters as long as they are unionized. If you are a private citizen going to a Tea Party – well we know how that song goes. The Democrats got a shellacking in November because Obama only wants to be President of a select few of all American Citizens. That’s how he comes off…BAD OPTICS all around.

Dr Evil on March 3, 2011 at 9:21 AM

There needs to be a consistent definition of “birther” because I don’t think Obama was likely born anywhere but Hawaii, but I do think it odd that the birth certificate has taken on a life of it’s own and would like that explained, if everything is on the up and up why is it so secret.

And then there are all the questions of his other records.

It is birtherism to want to see his college records?

It is very convenient that every question about Obama’s past can be dismissed as “birtherism”.

Huckabee doesn’t always state things well. I think his point about Obama having loyaties that are contrary to most Americans in Africa and the whole issue of colonialism is something valid to talk about. Too bad Huck messed up the conversation.

However, it is pretty easy to side track the left and get them to changed the subject based on little inaccuracies.

petunia on March 3, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Huckabee Explains Controversial Kenya Comments

texasconserv on March 3, 2011 at 7:50 AM

I guess for Huck, “to explain” is synonomous with “to lie.”

steebo77 on March 3, 2011 at 10:12 AM

morning joe seems a little thin skinned this am…

can dish it out but can’t take it…

pathetic

cmsinaz on March 3, 2011 at 6:11 AM

why what happened?

unseen on March 3, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Good work. I’d heard about Odinga but didn’t know the details. It’s quite remarkable the many and bizarre tendrils of this man’s corruptions and connections, and the media uninterest in all of them. Try to imagine Bush with a comparable set of experiences and affiliations, say with a cousin who was right-wing dictator in South America, etc…

rrpjr on March 3, 2011 at 12:40 AM

A simple google search, review of dates..and 5 minutes of reading would have allowed you to avoid being a rube.

I’ll give you an example…

The person you thanked said this:

As a U.S. Senator, obama went barnstorming all over Kenya, campaigning with his cousin and Luo tribesman, Raila Odinga.

The truth according to Fact Check is this:

During a visit to Kenya in 2006, Obama and his wife, Michelle, arranged to take an AIDS test to publicly demonstrate the test’s safety. While there, Obama spoke to the assembled crowd. Raila Odinga, one of the two candidates running for president, was on the stage when Obama spoke.

And this..

In fact, MSNBC reported that during that same trip, Obama also met with Mwai Kibaki, who was Odinga’s opponent in that election, as well as with opposition leader Uhuru Kenyatta. And Human Rights Watch reported that both Odinga and Kibaki (or their supporters, anyway) had a hand in the violence that followed the election.

Here is the actual reporting at the time:

In other words, like Bush Derangement Syndrome, crazy talk is crazy talk, weather it comes from the right or left.

NextGen on March 3, 2011 at 11:39 AM

JellyToast on March 3, 2011 at 6:33 AM

That slip up will by Michelle will destroy her Presidential aspirations.

portlandon on March 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM

NextGen on March 3, 2011 at 11:39 AM

There are video’s of Obama and Odinga together on several different occasions so what you are saying is a lie.

sharrukin on March 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM

sharrukin on March 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Now see, this is a strong response! If you are correct I will gladly admit my error… Now that you’ve made this definitive charge, would you mind providing a link to said videos?

This should be easy to resolve…

NextGen on March 3, 2011 at 12:37 PM

This should be easy to resolve…

NextGen on March 3, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Obama meeting Odinga at the airport in the first few seconds of the video and it goes on. Terrible music.

sharrukin on March 3, 2011 at 12:42 PM

sharrukin on March 3, 2011 at 12:42 PM

You can’t be serious, are you?

Numerous dignitaries meet Obama at airport…

Obama stands in front of AIDS/HIV testing Center (RV)….Odinga there and that’s the proof of them campaigning all over the country together?

By the way, did I ever tell you about the photo I saw that proves Dick Cheney and Saddam Hussein were working together?

Think about it..

BTW, the end of the video is a recycle of the beginning…lol

NextGen on March 3, 2011 at 1:31 PM

NextGen on March 3, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Sorry little liberal troll, but goalpost moving is an old tactics and not terribly effective. Using MSNBC as a source also doesn’t exactly help. Maybe you should head back to troll school and hit the books again.

sharrukin on March 3, 2011 at 1:36 PM

NextGen on March 3, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Everyone knows factcheck.org is a leftist website paid for by leftists and they spin everything. Not a credible source to back up YOUR spin.

karenhasfreedom on March 3, 2011 at 1:59 PM

sharrukin on March 3, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Talk about moving the goal post.

Ah name calling, while amusing, the first sign of a lost argument. But this is fun so let’s go on…

Below is the quote in question, you jumped in to defend.

I go on to say its a bogus story. You then post a video as proof which shows well, nothing. It shows a dignitary reception at the airport, the very Aid’s awareness event mentioned in the articles and a speech he made, with no sign of his supposed cousin. If you live in a place in your mind where that video proves he “went barnstorming all over kenya” to campaign with his cousin, well to be candid, I can’t have a reality based conversation with you.

You all and your .. “interesting” conspiracy theories, it really is hard to keep up at times, really.

1. Rove
2. Hannity
3. Rush
4. Levin
5. Corsi
6. Beck

I’m sensing you have graduated to “Level” 5 to 6″ If so let’s just agree we live in different realities…I’ve found I can only have reasonable conversations with the people at level 4 or less.

NextGen on March 3, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I should be clear, I see the “cousin” at the airport and aids event (which had already been stipulated)…not at the larger speech and definitely not all over barnstorming.

NextGen on March 3, 2011 at 3:18 PM