Mitch Daniels: I might not run for president because … the legislative session might drag on

posted at 5:37 pm on March 2, 2011 by Allahpundit

Seriously? Of all the possible answers to Laura Ingraham’s question from the other day, this must surely be the lamest:

Indiana Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels is acknowledging that an impasse in the state Legislature could preclude him from running for president should it drag on long-term…

Daniels has previously said he won’t decide until the legislative session ends. An ongoing standoff caused by boycotting House Democrats has the potential to cause the session to drag on past its scheduled end in late April.

“We’re all about the business of Indiana and trying to move an agenda forward right now,” Daniels said. “That could well get in the way of any national participation. If it does, it does.”

Three possibilities here. One: He’s using this as leverage over Indiana’s fleebagger Democrats, trying to pressure them into coming home so that the state can get on with its business. Except that, er, Daniels is regarded as a formidable potential nominee against Obama, which gives Democrats even more incentive to stay away and hold things up. Two: He’s such a good-government boy scout that he sincerely believes it’d be unfair to Indianans to go off and start stumping when there’s state business to be done at home. If so, that’s nice, but governors who have aspired to the presidency have been doing that for ages. No one will hold it against him. And even if they did, who cares? He’s term-limited. Three: Maybe … the guy really doesn’t want to run for president. He admits that the idea of national scrutiny scares his family to death, and he said a few months ago that if Barbour runs (which seems likely), his first inclination would be to help him. He sounds like a man looking for excuses to pass. Republican primary voters weren’t thrilled with Fred Thompson’s perceived lack of “fire in the belly” and Fred comes off like a dynamo compared to this guy.

Actually, maybe there’s a fourth reason: The will-he-or-won’t-he teasing is aimed at building suspense so that it makes an even bigger media splash when he announces. I guess that’s possible, but if you’re going to build suspense you’d better deliver with excitement and, needless to say, that’s not Daniels’s strong suit. He’d be better served getting in and heading straight to New Hampshire to pound the pavement. In fact, he can have the best of both worlds by doing that ASAP. If he’s the first man in, that in itself would be splash-tastic. Exit quotation via Geraghty: “The long legislative session might be sufficient to deter a man from trying to lead his country, to steer it away from a currently disastrous course, to try to salvage it before it is overtaken by monstrous debt, a threat that Daniels himself said was scarier than the Soviet arsenal?”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Gohawgs on March 2, 2011 at 11:21 PM

I got your back dude, my back already has a hard shell. :)

Geochelone on March 2, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Just random character assassination musings with not a shred of backup support.

Geochelone on March 2, 2011 at 11:06 PM

crap it’s like what Ace was saying last night. these ABP people are a mindnumb robots…

unseen on March 3, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Just random character assassination musings with not a shred of backup support.

Geochelone on March 2, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Wow you learned to play the smear game really well, you should be darn proud.

Is it your goal now to use that quote for eternity?

So I guess I am effectively banned for not liking Palin.

Deviating from the party line is a dangerous thing with canibals like you and Portland around.

petunia on March 3, 2011 at 3:29 AM

petunia on March 3, 2011 at 3:29 AM

Are those NOT your quoted words from a few nights ago? If so, are you suggesting that Geo — by using the words you used to dismiss Palin — is now smearing you with your own words?

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 3:49 AM

Really, how do sitting governors or other public officials find the time to run for President?

SC.Charlie on March 3, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Wow you learned to play the smear game really well, you should be darn proud.

petunia on March 3, 2011 at 3:29 AM

Complaining about being smeared with your own words is a libtard modus operandi.

gryphon202 on March 3, 2011 at 10:42 AM

SC.Charlie on March 3, 2011 at 9:58 AM

That’s a good question, but most of our historically successful presidents, at least since the turn of the 20th century, have been governors.

gryphon202 on March 3, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Aw, Joe, the hand wringer Lieberman managed to keep his if.Senate sear warm while running for VP – go ahead and run anyways – goodness knows that most of the 300 million folks out here will declare their candidacy this time. Obama won’t have enough union goons to intimidate them all.

Don L on March 3, 2011 at 11:26 AM

petunia on March 3, 2011 at 3:29 AM

Gohawgs on March 3, 2011 at 3:49 AM

That was on Valentine’s Day,if I remember correctly, so that was more than 2 weeks ago. You kept my words for more than two weeks… that makes me feel oddly powerful and at the same time like I should get a body guard.

I was in a particularly surly mood… I had just had some bad financial news. And it was very late, I was sloppy. I did say the next day that I was indiscreet.

Apparently, my words were so painful that they were stored to be used as weapons! There is something really irrational about that.

This is bullying behavior. This is stalking behavior. Palin seems to have a pack of bullies here at Hot Air. I believe many have left because they are tired of the bullies.

INote, if you please, this conversation was over hours and hours yet there are little snippets taken out… I wonder if there were any words of context? Probably not.

This “conversation” was a gang attack by may people. There were many vicious attacks against me personally, I beleive my age was an issue, as well as my whole life really, I think someone said I was jealous because I have never accomplished anything… among other mean spirited attacks.

I looked over this list. I don’t see what the fuss is about. Is it really such a nasty thing to say someone is weird? I tell my kids that everyone is weird to every one else. I think I am also weird. And this post is proof.

And I think she is weird.

Apparently that is an astounding thought to you that I think she has behaved in an unconventional way. Weird is hardly a character assasination… pretty mild actually.

She hates people who know anything about anything.

It is my opinion that Palin is anti-intellect and anti-establishment. I am not either of those things. I think people who have been around the block should have their opinions considered.

You have not a shred of love for this country.

I believe this was a response to someone who said if she is not nominated they will vote for Obama. Or at least indicated that.
I stand completely by that.

I don’t see Palin as all that honest either really. I don’t even like her well enough to track all the stuff.
But I remember she was pretty dishonest
I don’t know that I’d buy a car from her.
I can’t imagine how she seems so honest to you.

These were all responses to attacks on other candidates. And I see very little difference between Palin and others on the subject of honesty. She seems about in the middle of the pack.

These are opinions, not character assassinations. In my opinion, I don’t find her any more or less honest than any one else. I have little to base this on, all of them show only the best sides to the public. She is a typical politician.

I think you all must feel sorry for her. Like she’s the ugly duckling running for homecomming queen.

I’m trying to understand the cult. I think it has something to do with a strong bonding that occurred when she was so viciously attacked by the left.

I felt sorry for her, but she is a big girl, she doesn’t need me to defend her. And I feel no need to avenge her by electing her President.

She doesn’t even try to educate herself.

The Reality TV thing offends me.

I am appalled that she has not taken the advise of well wishers who suggested she bone up on foreign policy and get more experience in the areas she lacks. I think it takes a special kind of arrogance to assume that being told of weaknesses is simply an attack, rather than an invitation to better one’s self.

Having her in the Whitehouse would be such a circus.

I believe that my having to defend my late night ramblings more than two weeks after I made them is evidence enough for the type of Presidency she will have.

It is a circus every time her name is mentioned in less than glowing terms.

This is a circus.

petunia on March 3, 2011 at 11:31 AM

gryphon202 on March 3, 2011 at 10:42 AM

And the 3 worst have all been lawyers (Nixon, Clinton, and Obama). I’m not drawing a correlation, just sayin….

runawayyyy on March 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM

gryphon202 on March 3, 2011 at 10:42 AM

runawayyyy on March 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Carter?

petunia on March 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Anybody else think the pic accompanying this thread should have a caption that reads…”5 dollar, footlong”

Gohawgs on March 4, 2011 at 5:17 AM