Newt to launch exploratory presidential committee this week

posted at 12:15 pm on March 1, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Fun 2012 campaign fact — the only two Republicans semi-officially thinking about running are both from Georgia:

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich will launch a presidential ‘exploratory’ campaign this week, becoming the first big-name GOP candidate to make a formal step towards the White House.

The other candidate officially non-officially running is Herman Cain, who announced his exploratory committee launch before CPAC.  Cain has made a big splash thus far, both at CPAC and in Wisconsin, where he made an appearance at the Tea Party counterprotests in Madison to support Scott Walker. None of the other presumed Republican challengers joined Cain in that venue, including Newt, but Gingrich does have some trips scheduled soon that will impact the primaries, as ABC reported earlier:

ABC News has learned that Newt Gingrich will make the leap this week. Confidants close to the former House speaker say he will announce his intention to form a presidential exploratory committee before the end of the week.

Gingrich spokesman Rick Tyler would only say that the former speaker will make an announcement by the end of the week on forming a presidential exploratory committee. But friends of Gingrich say he has already made up his mind. Gingrich’s travel schedule is already looking like that of a presidential candidate. He will be in Iowa on Mar. 7 and ABC News has learned he will in New Hampshire Mar. 17.

Gingrich seems serious about running this time.  He played footsie with the notion throughout 2007 but ultimately decided against jumping into the scrum, holding off the final decision until late in the year.  He took a lot of criticism for his hard-to-get routine at the time.  Instead of toying with supporters this time, Gingrich seems anxious to get out in front early.

Of course, this cycle isn’t 2007, either.  Talk of a primary challenge to Obama seems to have quieted of late, which means that the GOP won’t have to compete for attention.  Instead of rushing to get into debates, most of the presumptive candidates have downplayed their official and non-official campaigns.  For some whose national profiles need burnishing, like Tim Pawlenty and Mitch Daniels, the effort is more public, but for those with more exposure like Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney, the need for speed is nothing like the last presidential campaign.  At this rate, the two announced GOP presidential debates in the spring may only include the two Georgia natives, as everyone else may be waiting for mid-summer to test out the waters a little more quietly.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

stefanite on March 1, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Committee tells Newt, “No way!”

Newt ignores them.

ebrown2 on March 1, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Two words: “Jesus wept”.

victor82 on March 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM

no to newt

Kelligan on March 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Why even mention Daniels at this point, Ed? That candidacy is stillborn after a number of verbal gaffes right out of the gate.

teke184 on March 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Newt to launch exploratory presidential committee this week

I can see the White House from my house couch

mizflame98 on March 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM

UGH!

ORconservative on March 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM

That would be a negative for me

cmsinaz on March 1, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I say more power to him. No way in the deepest reaches of h**l is he getting my primary vote, but the more the merrier, right?

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Newt is too ‘Big Gov’t’ and way too ‘establishment’. He’s sooo nineties! Who knows, maybe Cain will become viable. If so, he just might be my candidate. But Newt can go pitch his government-centric energy plan to Green Peace.

cartooner on March 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM

So what?

He has the right to run. I wouldn’t give him a nickle for his chances, but if he wants to waste his time and money, that’s up to him.

Rebar on March 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Jesus tells Newt, “My child, I advise you to not run this year…”

Newt’s ego responds to Jesus, “Who the **** are you? Didn’t you read my book, Winning The Future? Go get a haircut, pal!”

victor82 on March 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Stay on that couch Newt.

Run Herman Run!

Knucklehead on March 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM

He looks like he’s lost a few pounds, too. Say, isn’t he the speaker of the house that shut the government down in the 90′s?

Kissmygrits on March 1, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Newt, just go away… Get back on that sofa with Nancy where you belong….

sandee on March 1, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Red Dukakis.

Limerick on March 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Go sit back down on that couch with Nancy

cmsinaz on March 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Please go away Newt.

Clark1 on March 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Don’t bother. You killed any chance you had when you made the ad with Nancy. I still respect your views on some things, but you did serious damage to your brand.

Queen0fCups on March 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

who the hell names their kid “Newt”??? I mean, WTF?

ted c on March 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

sandee…..you type faster than I….

twiggman on March 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

At least Sean Hannity will be thrilled….

America, not so much.

Like T-Paw (and, in years past, Pat Buchanan and Alan Keyes), The Newt will wind up being a small-type footnote in 2012.

MrScribbler on March 1, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Sandee :)

Great minds

cmsinaz on March 1, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Explore away. You’re not going anywhere.

rrpjr on March 1, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Meanwhile, Newt needs a wonder-weapon capable of erasing memories en masse.

Well he did write the book on WTF.

ElectricPhase on March 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM

John McCain Part Deux!!!!!

portlandon on March 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Newt serves a useful purpose behind the scenes. That’s where he needs to stay.

Vera on March 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM

who the hell names their kid “Newt”??? I mean, WTF?

ted c on March 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

The same folks who name their kid “Mitt”.

portlandon on March 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM

My friends.

The Mega Independent on March 1, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Scozzzzzzzafaaaaaaaava!

gary4205 on March 1, 2011 at 12:28 PM

First primary campaign commercial against Newt:

Him sitting next to Nancy Pelosi shilling for GlobalWarming™.

Next.

IronDioPriest on March 1, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Unfortunately, Newt’s not the one. As a public intellectual, he has high value. But his basic posture is government-as-usual first — as in, gee, government may be too big right now, let’s moderate that. Wrong basic posture. The right one is, Does government have any business doing this?

He doesn’t have a philosophical problem — about the scope of government or about individual liberties — when it comes to government-centered attempts to “manage” the global environment. That is one of the most informative things about him. The principle at work is a slippery slope: you can’t have just a little bit of cheap, inexpensive, you’ll-hardly-know-it’s-there climate salvation. A penny’s a pound on this one, and Newt has ante’d up the penny.

J.E. Dyer on March 1, 2011 at 12:29 PM

My friends.

The Mega Independent on March 1, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Stop it! I just felt something crawling up my spine!

ElectricPhase on March 1, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Exactamundo IDP

cmsinaz on March 1, 2011 at 12:31 PM

who the hell names their kid “Newt”??? I mean, WTF?

ted c on March 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

The same folks who name their kid “Mitt”.

portlandon on March 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM

His full name is Newton Leroy Gingrich. “Newt” is just a nickname.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:32 PM

A practically universally disliked candidate (for all intents and purposes) whose last stint in public office was a total disaster for the politician personally? Gingrich is just an older, Y-chromosomier version of Palin.

Proud Rino on March 1, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Gingrich is just an older, Y-chromosomier version of Palin.

Proud Rino on March 1, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Yeah, but he can beat Obama!!!!11eleventy!!!!!!one!!!!

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM

not a big Newt fan but I will give him props for not waiting for others….cough….. Palin ….cough…..to make up his mind…the more competitiion the better. Newt will allow other candidates to easily get to his right and thus the final candidate will be more right leaning then if Newt the panderer was not in it…

I hear Dede sends her love…

unseen on March 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM

At least Palin inspires *some* enthusiasm. I don’t know anyone that’s actually excited about the idea of a Newt Gingrich candidacy.

Proud Rino on March 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Yeah, but he can beat Obama!!!!11eleventy!!!!!!one!!!!

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I mean, just about anyone could beat Obama, theoretically. The point is that if Gingrich can beat Obama, then just about anyone else can too, so why *not* nominate Palin or someone?

Proud Rino on March 1, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Proud Rino on March 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM

well one lucky women will be the new Mrs Newt by the end of the campaign.

unseen on March 1, 2011 at 12:35 PM

More power to him. It’s no secret that Palin is my favorite, but to have a race we need horses.

pugwriter on March 1, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Proud Rino on March 1, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Did I really need a sarc tag? You’re the last person in the world I would take political advice from.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:35 PM

When it came to former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, though, she suggested his best years may be behind him.

“There was a place and time for him,” Haley said. “I think that there is a respect for him that he’s been there and done that.”

Heh.

the_nile on March 1, 2011 at 12:35 PM

For those really smart posters who say Newt’s past will prevent him from winning, I have to ask
How did a man accused of running from the British (Jefferson) succeed?
How did a bigamist (Jackson) succeed?
How did a man widely believed to have fathered an illegitimate child (Buchannan) succeed?

LincolntheHun on March 1, 2011 at 12:35 PM

His full name is Newton Leroy Gingrich. “Newt” is just a nickname.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Willard Mitt Romney
Newton Leroy Gingrich

Willard Newton.
Mitt LeRoy.

portlandon on March 1, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Proud Rino on March 1, 2011 at 12:34 PM

bingo. why not nominate the person that is the only Reaganite on the field isntead of the Rockefeller Republicans…hmmmm that is the question isn’t it.

unseen on March 1, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Nope, not voting for Newt. He’s got too much baggage for one thing and there is no way he could beat Obama.

GrannySunni on March 1, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Newt lead the GOP to win the House for the first time in 40(?) years with the Contract with America. Great job, Newt. Then he got cocky. After being humiliated by Bubba over the Gov’t shut down, Newt’s been playing it safe ever since. He’s written books and had oodles of TV appearances to recreate his image. He’s a good debater. But he’s become averse to risk. He endorsed “sure-thing” RINOS over Tea Party candidates. In other words, he’s moved to the middle of the road where that big yellow stripe and roadkill are. Stay with Hannity’s All American Panel and leave the country to real small government, low tax, freedom loving candidates.

cartooner on March 1, 2011 at 12:37 PM

You’re the last person in the world I would take political advice from.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Why on Earth would you ever need political advice?

Proud Rino on March 1, 2011 at 12:37 PM

How did a man accused of running from the British (Jefferson) succeed?
How did a bigamist (Jackson) succeed?

LincolntheHun on March 1, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Three words for you, pal:

Mass

Media

!

The same reason that the battle of New Orleans lasted weeks beyond the end of the war.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:37 PM

LincolntheHun on March 1, 2011 at 12:35 PM

tip if you got to reach back 150 years to defend how Newt can win you are barking up the wrong tree…nixon would be your better example. And stranger things have happened. Personally I am glad Newt is in it since he is considered the “brain”
of the gOp when Palin wipes the floor with him in the debates it will be that more powerful of a victory…

unseen on March 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM

No Newt, don’t be stupid, stop wasting our time. Sit back down. Next candidate please ?

moc23 on March 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM

LincolntheHun on March 1, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Talk about damning with faint praise!

ElectricPhase on March 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Why on Earth would you ever need political advice?

Proud Rino on March 1, 2011 at 12:37 PM

There’s a lot of unsolicited political advice that gets flung around here (by myself and others) concerning who should run, who shouldn’t, who we should or shouldn’t vote for, and why. Not political advice in the sense that I’m running for anything (I’m not), but if I were, you’d still be the last person I’d turn to for political advice.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Do enlighten us, oh veritable fountain of wisdom.

Dark-Star on March 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Willard Mitt Romney
Newton Leroy Gingrich

Willard Newton.
Mitt LeRoy.

portlandon on March 1, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Willard LeRoy Romrich.

steebo77 on March 1, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Do enlighten us, oh veritable fountain of wisdom.

Dark-Star on March 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I’ve made it clear who I’m voting for and why numerous times. The only person I feel a remote need to defend in political matters is myself.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I think those other times he’s flirted with the idea of running were struck down by his wife. This new wife is clearly ambitious for him and is backing him to the hilt.

I won’t vote for him in the primary, but I welcome him into the race.

yogi41 on March 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I’m so glad I stopped listening to Hannity’s show. I don’t know if I could stand the Heinekin/Newt/Exercise loop after this.

rogerb on March 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Anyone else think he’ll run, no matter what the committee says?

Dark-Star on March 1, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Anyone else think he’ll run, no matter what the committee says?

Dark-Star on March 1, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Relatively few politicians decide not to run after floating exploratory committees. The only person I’m aware of that was in that situation in my lifetime (since 1978) was Teddy Kennedy in 1980.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Newt, just go away… Get back on that sofa with Nancy where you belong….

sandee on March 1, 2011 at 12:23 PM

who the hell names their kid “Newt”??? I mean, WTF?

ted c on March 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

When Nancy stirs her cauldron and addsd “eye of Newt…” you know where she got it.

cartooner on March 1, 2011 at 12:43 PM

If Newt would have run in 2008 he would be POTUS now. He chickened out then and now his time is past. there ar eother younger more conservative choices who don’t have the personal and politcal baggage that Newt has. I wouold have rather him then McCain in 2008 but now Newt has shown when the chips are down he hides out…..

But I’m glad he is running, it shows the people what and where we do not want to go again.

unseen on March 1, 2011 at 12:44 PM

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:43 PM

It is my understanding that the committee is formed due to federal election laws and spending rules. So that pre campaign money can be transferred into cmapaign money…

unseen on March 1, 2011 at 12:45 PM

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Jefferson used to pay editors to attack Hamilton, the whole Federalist- Anti-Federalist papers were political, so were the Lincoln Douglas debates. Mass media counts for little these days and shouts to a smaller and smaller group.

LincolntheHun on March 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Newt acting fast to stem the Ron Paul momentum.

But it won’t work Newt.

JohnGalt23 on March 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM

LincolntheHun on March 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Not all the editors he tried to pay took the payment, and the federalist papers had to be delivered to recipients — they couldn’t be plastered on the internet and via sattelite like they are now.

Even as recently as the late 1970′s, sometimes it would take a full 12 hours for the results of a west-coast basketball game to be printed in the east coast newspapers.

Times have indeed changed, but it’s hard to say to what degree that will affect Newt Gingrich’s presidential chances; I just know that from what I know of him going as far back as 1994, I’m not voting for him in the primaries.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I don’t know, hopefully he’ll find out it’s a lost cause before he puts a lot of time and effort into running. He’s like the leftover you’ve had 4 nights in a row…enough, I want something fresh!

scalleywag on March 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Newt acting fast to stem the Ron Paul momentum.

But it won’t work Newt.

JohnGalt23 on March 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM

????????????????????????????????

steebo77 on March 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Newt, now go play with your Callista.

stenwin77 on March 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Get lost Newtie and make another Global Warming commercial with Nancy Pelosi or go endorse Deedee Scozzafava again in the NY primaries.

Hilts on March 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I am curious how he will handle any Global Warming questions, but I will not vote for him.

jeffn21 on March 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Two words: “Jesus wept”.

victor82 on March 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I would put that as “Krishna wept”.

Dandapani on March 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM

unseen on March 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM
ElectricPhase on March 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I think counting out anyone (except Ron Paul) at this point is a mistake; Carter, Clinton and Obama were all dark horse candidates.
Even W had to fight for the nomination for a while.

LincolntheHun on March 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM

If Newt would have run in 2008 he would be POTUS now.

yeah right. //

Hilts on March 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Why is it that the same ole same ole r’s think they need to run for president? How about a new face with some good ideas, not the rino ones getting into the race? I do not want the msm or rino’s telling us who we need to vote for against bho.
L

letget on March 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Newt acting fast to stem the Ron Paul momentum.

But it won’t work Newt.

JohnGalt23 on March 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM

What momentum? The Momentum from him saying we should not support Israel? Oh yeah, that’s a winner. Or is it where he basically admitted that he thinks 9/11 was an inside job?

jeffn21 on March 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Eye of Newt.

Manditory ingredient in a witches brew.

percysunshine on March 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Newt acting fast to stem the Ron Paul momentum.

But it won’t work Newt.

JohnGalt23 on March 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Cialis vs E.D.?

Limerick on March 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Newt is delusional.

Amjean on March 1, 2011 at 12:51 PM

It didn’t work out too well for us the last time we had a president from Georgia.

Kissmygrits on March 1, 2011 at 12:51 PM

And I should care because…?

Ward Cleaver on March 1, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Even W had to fight for the nomination for a while.

LincolntheHun on March 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM

if you reread my post you will see I agree. Like I said stranger thinks have happened. And newt for all his baggage is respected within the DC insiders so if it looked like Newt or Palin for the win I’m sure the elites will get behind Newt very fast….

So far the polls show he is running way back in the pack but I don’t trust polls. It’s facts on the ground that is important. I’m waiting to se ewhat type of reaction he gets when he visits IA and NH if no one shows up or a hand full of people I would put much stock in his chances but if there is a big enough croawd he might have legs and primaries are about having the legs to the finish line its a marathon not a sprint…

unseen on March 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM

He’s just doing this so he can get more money for speaking engagements.

stenwin77 on March 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Note to Newt: Fuhgeddaboutit!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM

gryphon202 on March 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Which meant people talked about them for days to weeks, and scandals and improprieties were not forgotten three days later because 19th century Britney was shaving her head and performing money shots for the papers.

LincolntheHun on March 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I can see the White House from my house couch

mizflame98 on March 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I wonder how far he thinks he can get with this hanging on his back. Just goes to prove he doesn’t understand the issues.

Mirimichi on March 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Newt serves a useful purpose behind the scenes. That’s where he needs to stay.

Vera on March 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I agree. He can screw up in the local stuff. But I think he’s very useful for national issues. He’s one of the few who have no reservations about taking swings at Obama. Trite as it might be, what sentiment more clearly contrasts Obama’s vision for America and a conservative’s vision: Paychecks over foodstamps. At least if he’s in the primary, maybe he’ll direct his attacks at Obama. That couldn’t hurt.

BuckeyeSam on March 1, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Just think of all the bacheloretts he can meet on the campaign trail !

stenwin77 on March 1, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Oh ya babe. This is gonna be good, it’s gonna be great. It’s gonna be fun. As effective as the left was at smearing Gingrich the last time, this will be a behind the back, over the head, triple spin, slam dunk.

Skandia Recluse on March 1, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I like Newt, but I’ll never vote for ANYONE who worships at the altar of AGW. He lost even more mojo with my during the whole Scuzzifava mess.

As a politician, Newt is one hell of a pundit. He should stick to what he’s good at.

CantCureStupid on March 1, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Newt acting fast to stem the Ron Paul momentum.

But it won’t work Newt.

JohnGalt23 on March 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Ron Paul momentum is like slug momentum-except that unlike Ron Paul a slug may have some redeeming qualities.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 1, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Romney will fall in the primaries because of Romneycare

Gingrich will be shoved back under his rock with the other newts because of this:

evilned on March 1, 2011 at 1:00 PM

If Newt would have run in 2008 he would be POTUS now.
yeah right. //

Hilts on March 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM

One Newt would have done better with the debates against Obama.

two Newt would have hammered Obama with the Rev wright think as well as other stuff. Newt is a very dirty player in the realm of politcs. None of this my friends bullcrap.

three Newt would have had more conservative sin his corner and I doubt he would have lost NC and VA.

four Newt would not have been stupid enough to pick a VP that would upstage him and make him look like an old has-been and a liberal

five Newt would have not suspended his campaign to run back to DC and agree with Obama 100% on the way forward…

unseen on March 1, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I like Newt. This will make the debates fun to watch. He actually knows stuff.

faraway on March 1, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Somehow, I don’t think the youth vote will be attracted by Newt. My college age kids are talking about Ryan and Palin and Cain. Not that they see them as the best, but they see them as new and different and conservative. I am just glad they are paying attention.

The female voter will certainly be turned off by Newt as well – just ask my wife.

The same tired old faces just manifest the same tired old face of the Republican party. No new thoughts or plans.

It is the “We have always done it this way” attitude. Which means it is wrong. Time for CONSERVATIVE CHANGE !!!

crom on March 1, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Hardest hit: hemorrhoids and polyps.

P. Monk on March 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM

crom on March 1, 2011 at 1:07 PM

yeap Newt’s biggest problem. he is seen as the insider old guard when the country has rejected that meme and wants an outsider able to repair DC.

unseen on March 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM

GOP to Newt:

“Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full”

…wait….that was for the Maverick.

BobMbx on March 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM