Chris Christie on 2012: “I already know I could win”

posted at 9:26 pm on March 1, 2011 by Allahpundit

It might be true but it’s an odd thing to say. For starters, he sounds arrogant. There are plenty of righties who already dislike him for gun control, endorsing Mike Castle, etc. This won’t do him any favors with them. Beyond that, for a would-be VP candidate, he seems perilously close to suggesting that the eventual nominee should consider him/herself lucky that they didn’t have to face him in the primaries. He doesn’t go quite that far — he says he could win, not that he would — but as a friend pointed out the other day, the problem with putting Christie on the bottom of the ticket is that he’s practically guaranteed to overshadow whoever’s at the top. Only Palin can match him in terms of charisma, and needless to say, there ain’t going to be a Palin/Christie ticket. For everyone else, it’d be a rerun of 2008 where Republicans are excited about the veep and not so excited about the other guy. Could be that he’s not interested in the number two position either (he’s said as much), but New Jersey pols are skeptical. And for a man with allegedly no national ambitions at the moment, he sure has spent a lot of time knocking Obama lately.

In any case, consider this his answer to the question posed yesterday by Laura Ingraham. If top Republicans think America’s on the highway to hell under Obama, why aren’t they running to beat him next year — especially if, by their own admission, they could win?

Believe me, I’ve been interested in politics my whole life. I see the opportunity. But I just don’t believe that’s why you run. Like I said at AEI, I have people calling me and saying to me, “Let me explain to you how you could win.” And I’m like, “You’re barking up the wrong tree. I already know I could win.” That’s not the issue. The issue is not me sitting here and saying, “Geez, it might be too hard. I don’t think I can win.” I see the opportunity both at the primary level and at the general election level. I see the opportunity.

But I’ve got to believe I’m ready to be president, and I don’t. And I think that that’s the basis you have to make that decision. I think when you have people who make the decision just based upon seeing the opportunity you have a much greater likelihood that you’re going to have a president who is not ready. And then we all suffer from that. Even if you’re a conservative, if your conservative president is not ready, you’re not going to be good anyway because you’re going to get rolled all over the place in that town…

Like I said before, I am who I am and people have to trust, they don’t have to but they should trust, my instincts on this. I know me better than anyone else knows me. If I felt like I was ready, I’d go, but I’m not. But I’m also not going to go if I don’t think I’m ready.

When I walked into the Governor’s office last January there have been some difficult days in the job. There has never been a day where I’ve felt like I’m over my head, I don’t know what to do, I’m lost. I don’t know whether I’d feel the same way if I walked into the Oval Office a year and a half from now. So, unless you get yourself to the point where you really believe you have a shot to be successful, then I don’t think you have any business running for it.

The inexperience argument. He can use it as an excuse to bide his time until 2016, as can Rubio, but there aren’t many other top-flight GOP contenders who can. Which isn’t to say that he couldn’t shamelessly reverse himself in six months’ time if he suddenly felt “ready.” Remember this golden oldie from 2004? Watch it and weep, my friends.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Meredith from AOSHQ is still stinging, as is Ace, from Sarah’s bup-kicking on Christie and the other wannabes in Ace’s Preference Poll, recently. She crushed them. It wasn’t even close. This despite the fact that the bloggers are completely overcome by PDS. Ace was so ticked about the result he threatened to ban all Palin supporters! LMAO

Don’t worry about AOSHQ. Despite the bloggers’ best efforts, Palinistas are there in force to put the Boyz ClUb in its place as needed.

james23 on March 2, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Vote for the hot chick who has no chance and America can join Harry in the ash heap.

crashman on March 2, 2011 at 11:33 AM
In all of the Palin-bashing on this site, FR and others in the past 4 months, I have not read ONE post that criticized Sarah Palin on her CONSERVATIVE CREDENTIALS. NOT ONE !

So all you can offer is “she can’t win.” Really? In America? That’s our story. That is our heritage. The underdog CAN and often does win. That’s our DNA. Of course she can win. We CAN make that happen.

Good thing George Washington and his ill-prepared forces didn’t listen to all of you Sarah Palin bashers.

stenwin77 on March 2, 2011 at 12:31 PM

stenwin77 on March 2, 2011 at 12:34 PM

He’s. Not. Running.

I’m surprised that the Palin-bots haven’t jumped all over his comments, though. They are certainly a laundry list of reasons why she shouldn’t run, either.

rockmom on March 2, 2011 at 12:35 PM

stenwin77 on March 2, 2011 at 12:31 PM

i’m assuming you meant on her policies because neither have I. not one disagreement on policy form any of the palin bashers. they attack her voice, her clothes, her family, her sex her electability but never her policies

unseen on March 2, 2011 at 12:36 PM

stenwin77 on March 2, 2011 at 12:31 PM
stenwin77 on March 2, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Comparing her to GW? If so then GW should have quit 2 years in his first term.
Hey, I like her but she annoys half the voters. If you want Obama for 4 more years vote for the loser.

crashman on March 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM

rockmom on March 2, 2011 at 12:35 PM

why would we jump all over them. I think they speak for themselves on how clueless he is.

unseen on March 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM

crashman on March 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Obama annoys “half the voters” and he is considered unbeatable…

unseen on March 2, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I’m not comparing HER to Washington, I’m comparing the SITUATION to Washington.

Washington SHOULDN’t have won , but he did.

Oh, by the way, if CC runs, he’d have to quit 2 years into his term.

stenwin77 on March 2, 2011 at 12:40 PM

By the way, did you know that in Christie’s NJ, if you are a tax payer, you now supply all low-income families with FREE CELL PHONES? What’s next, X-Box 360 and big screen tvs?

How’s that fiscal conservatism working out for you folks in NJ.?

stenwin77 on March 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Who should run for president then rockmom?

Perhaps you should set the field for the GOP primary.

Do you already have a laundry list made up for all of the potential candidates or just for Palin?

Please enlighten us. Share your knowledge with us.

chief on March 2, 2011 at 1:02 PM

He’s just pointing out how unprepared Obama is.

Welcome back Kotter Carter.

Schadenfreude on March 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

crashman on March 2, 2011 at 11:33 AM

stenwin77 on March 2, 2011 at 12:31 PM

If these “critics” of Palin were
in reality conservatives they would find little to disagee
with her about.

If someone is socialist, communist, marxist, liberal,
rino, etc. and doesn’t like Palin because her conservatism
doesn’t jive with their thought processes, then fine.
Admit it and move on.

Just don’t try to fool the rest of us with your lazy
pontificating concerning Palin’s unworthiness to run for President. You make no sense and it is boring.

Amjean on March 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Who should run for president then rockmom?

Perhaps you should set the field for the GOP primary.

Please enlighten us. Share your knowledge with us.

chief on March 2, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Everyone who thinks they should be President should run. It’s up to the voters to decide if they are ready or have the right policies. I don’t have a candidate right now. I am a big fan of Christie as Governor, and I find myself agreeing with pretty much everything he says. But I know he isn’t running for President. He has said in as many ways as he can possibly say that he is not running for President. I believe him. Yet that never stops some in the media from badgering him about it, nor does it stop commenters on blogs like this one from trashing him for being too liberal to be the Republican nominee for President.

I think Chris Christie is entitled to his opinions that he isn’t ready to be President, but I also think that everything he said about himself could also be said about Sarah Palin, and I think he was probably aiming his comments directly at her. That’s just my opinion. no harm meant by it. There really isn’t anyone who is even talked about as a possible GOP candidate, other than perhaps Herman Cain, who is less qualified or less ready to be President than Palin.

Your mileage may vary.

rockmom on March 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I think the line got cut off….

“I already know I would win…. for being a narcissistic and pompous asshole.”

PhilipJames on March 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Christie is not a conservative. He is far too impressed with himself as well. Check:

Buckeye Babe on March 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM

rockmom on March 2, 2011 at 1:33

bingo. Chrisite’s comments where aimed directly at Palin using himself as an example of why she shouldn’t run.

I was wonder when someone would figure it out…

unseen on March 2, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Whatevah Gov. Christie!

YOU’RE JUST A PRODUCT OF PALIN’S TENACITY AS A FIGHTER IN 2009 AND YOU KNOW IT. THAT’S WHY YOU WON. IT WAS PALIN WHO UNITED THE CONSERVATIVES AGAINST THE POLICIES OF OBAMA!

CHRISTIE = ARROGANT AND INGRATO!

PALIN ROCKS 2012!