Laura Ingraham to potential GOP candidates: If you think Obama’s ruining the country, why aren’t you running?

posted at 7:02 pm on February 28, 2011 by Allahpundit

Some, like Rubio and Christie, are national newbies who’ll argue that they need time to build experience. (The fact that Obama wasn’t as modest isn’t much of a counterargument.) Others, like Thune, can plausibly claim that they don’t have a realistic chance of winning the primary. But what’s the excuse for seasoned pols like Huckabee, Daniels, Pence, Jindal, or Paul Ryan? If you believe that (a) Obamanomics is a mortal threat to America’s long-term fiscal stability and (b) competition in the primaries is healthy insofar as it seasons the eventual nominee and gives Republican voters more choices, then why not dive in? What’s especially grating about the hesitancy is that if almost everyone sits out and Romney ends up being the nominee by default, there’ll be plenty of anonymously sourced backbiting during the campaign about how lackluster he is, how no one trusts him, etc. It’s one thing to use false modesty as a pretext for staying out when the field is strong (“I’m sure whoever we nominate will be terrific!”), but when it’s not and you’re passing on running anyway, those cries that Obama! Must! Be! Stopped! become hard to take seriously.

Exit question: Time for everyone to jump into the pool? At the very least, this is a fine argument for a “Draft Huckabee” movement!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

omg….. Laura is trying so hard to not talk about the 80lb pink elephant in the room for the entire 9 mins. Maybe next time she could just say Please STOP THAT WOMAN…..

unseen on February 28, 2011 at 8:18 PM

What happens if the CEOs of Puzza Hut and Dominoes get in the race?

That would be an epic food fight.

The herminator would crush them with his superior knowledge of food additives. :)

Geochelone on February 28, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Thread winner!

gary4205 on February 28, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Here’s the link…

Gohawgs on February 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Thanks.
I’ve heard of them-unfortunately they received a grant from ‘Autism Speaks’. Autism Speaks lives to push big government and ‘cures’…and I’ve no desire for either one.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Exit question: Time for everyone to jump into the pool?

This summer? Sure. Now? No.

Patrick Ishmael on February 28, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Not good, had a mild heart attack last night and was moved into intensive care.

Knucklehead on February 28, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Sorry to hear about your dad. Hopefully since it was mild he’ll be back up and rollin’ in no time.

gary4205 on February 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I hereby offer up to you, my good friends, a suggestion for a new and exclusive maxim. A maxim that will sweep the world in the next two years. I offer:

ALLAHPUNDIT’S CONUNDRUM.

Wherein, any subject will dissolve quickly into a discussion of Sarah Palin within 50 comment posts.

Wanna discuss Wonder Bread? You’re 50 posts away from Sarah Palin.

Babe Ruth is the greatest baseball player of all time? 50 posts, Sarah Palin.

Statistical regression analysis? Sarah Palin.

Try it and see!

turfmann on February 28, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Thanks guys for the prayers, it’s really appreciated.

Knucklehead on February 28, 2011 at 8:06 PM

..:):)

Dire Straits on February 28, 2011 at 8:28 PM

gary4205 on February 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Last week (or so) — Fell resulting in a broken hip, wrist, etc…

Gohawgs on February 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Didn’t know the background, I saw a blurp on the org. this afternoon…

Gohawgs on February 28, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Try it and see!

turfmann on February 28, 2011 at 8:26 PM

So you are saying Palin is the Kevin bacon of blogs?

unseen on February 28, 2011 at 8:31 PM

turfmann on February 28, 2011 at 8:26 PM

The Scott Walker thread is already at 67 and no mention of her. Bummer, dude. I was pulling for you.

John the Libertarian on February 28, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Didn’t know the background, I saw a blurp on the org. this afternoon…

Gohawgs on February 28, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I know you didn’t-and I smile at you for thinking of me.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2011 at 8:34 PM

So you are saying Palin is the Kevin bacon of blogs?

unseen on February 28, 2011 at 8:31 PM

BACON, minus the Kevin…

Gohawgs on February 28, 2011 at 8:39 PM

John the Libertarian on February 28, 2011 at 8:32 PM

There’s an exception to every rule…

Gohawgs on February 28, 2011 at 8:40 PM

A HUMONGOUS mind-worm is attacking my brain. Why should I get to have all the fun.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2011 at 8:40 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Doesn’t mean I’m going to let you drive my car…

Gohawgs on February 28, 2011 at 8:41 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Jolly Mon Sing

John the Libertarian on February 28, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Because we end up splitting the primary vote and we get another unelectable like McCain.

Dandapani on February 28, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Doesn’t mean I’m going to let you drive my car…

Gohawgs on February 28, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Being that I cause a grand of damage to my mother-in-law’s vehicle by accidentally running over some bushes(plants-not people)-I doubt anyone’s going to let me drive their car.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Jolly Mon Sing

John the Libertarian on February 28, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Before I married the current Mr. Twerp, I was a cashier at a Wendy’s that was by what was then known as the Tweeter Center.

On Buffett concert evenings the Parrotheads would come through the drive-thru, and it would be obvious that many of them had started ‘wastin’ away in Margaritaville’ just a wee bit early.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Palin/West/2012

Common Sense Restoration America/12′

canopfor on February 28, 2011 at 7:04 PM

I’m with you there, buddy. ‘Nuff said.

ProudPalinFan on February 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I dream of all the potential candidates sitting on the sidelines waiting for Palin to announce.

She doesn’t. She gets in her bus and starts traveling
the country shaking hands, kissing babies, discussing the
issues – cutting spending and energy independence.

The boys are still sitting on the sidelines waiting; Toyko Rove,
Charles Saurkraut, etc. are still on Fox saying how dumb
Palin is; the gals cannot contain their jealousy – Laura,
Coulter, Nicole Wallace, that little dumb blond on Fox
who worked for Bush with the dumbass stare – all bashing
Palin all the time. Chris Matthews gets up from his chair screaming!!!!! And then there is Mica and Joe whining – Joy Behar
has a meltdown on The View – Barbara Bush is yelling” Why
is she touring the lower 48 – go back to Alaska you bitch
so my son Jeb can be president!”

Then she announces.

Amjean on February 28, 2011 at 9:13 PM

OT — you check out that posting at Ace? Obama directed his minions to charge opposition with racism.

John the Libertarian on February 28, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Is he wishing for another Gettysburg or something? Second time I type this; that dude better be dropped off in the pitch black dark 2:30 AM on Little Round Top or something. Alone. If I heard cannon fire, along with a bunch of tourists there’s no reason he won’t meet some friendly bunch of ghosts who would love to meet The Won.

Betcha a Yahoo! search on “Gettysburg ghosts” video and EVP’s will convince some here. Putz needs to put down the racism card; but what do we know, he’s a divider, not a uniter.

ProudPalinFan on February 28, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Nah. Better, the cemetary. I saw stuff when we went on the morning tour, in between two graves. Obama can pick either the North troops that freed him and the Justice Brothers, or the small segment that’s set for the South; tons of men that gave it all, plus a casualty.

ProudPalinFan on February 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I have a dream whereby the boys sit on the sidelines waiting for Palin to announce.

Instead, she gets in her tour bus and starts traveling
the country, kissing babies, giving hugs, photo ops,
talking about smaller government, less spending, energy
independence, etc.

The boys are still on the sideliines; Toyko Rove and Charles
Saurkraut are talking about how dumb Palin is; Coulter, Laura,
Nicole Wallace and that dumb little blonde that worked for Bush with the blank look on her face all can’t contain their jealousy. Joy Behar has a meltdown on The View.
Barbara Bush screams “Why can’t that B**ch go back where
she came from – it is Jeb’s turn!” BOR has the body language expert on – Chris Wallace has his panel of experts on – the black guy goes bananas – screams excitedly throughout the show – noone else can talk. Chris Matthews
gets beet red in the face shouting at the cameras – Mica and Joe just look dumb.

Rush and Mark Levin are laughing hysterically. “Why folks,
this has never been done before! Presidential candidates always announce first!”

Going rogue – Part II.

Amjean on February 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM

LOL Yeah, draft Huckabee. I know you don’t want that, AP. Heck, if Huck became prez, you’d be among the first people he’d burn at the stake for your heretical opinions about the deity. Plus, Huck would be a male version of Michelle, hectoring everyone about what they should eat while he and his weeble and wobble around munching on ribs and fried chicken with their chubby little legs holding up their globular bodies.

IMO, the field is thin and who cares if those guys bailout. Maybe Herman Cain has a better chance than we think. How about Cain & The ‘Cuda or ‘Cuda & Cain in 2012?

JimP on February 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I am gonna call it quits here gotta go bed; you just brought me many traumatic memories of those bunch of people. The LAST thing I wanna see out of a hotel window room at a Pittsburgh hotel, is a 250 lb. man with coconut bikini top and a hula skirt. And they weren’t drunk they were just getting set up, just like we do at football games; good food, BBQ and lots of alcohol.

Concert was in the evening. Blech I can’t stand ‘em I don’t understand the cult!

ProudPalinFan on February 28, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Last week (or so) — Fell resulting in a broken hip, wrist, etc…

Gohawgs on February 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Damn

gary4205 on February 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Maybe people aren’t jumping in because they all know how lame they are. It might also have to do with the 2016 elections. Maybe they think if they lose in 2012 their 2016 chances are blown. Who wants to go down in history as the guy who lost to Obama? Besides McCain I mean.

I think we have to face that no one really looks that good right now. Maybe the age of “leaders” is over. We’re just deciding who will pick our pockets and the pockets of those not yet even conceived.

I think we will also have to face that by default, a white male cannot win the next election. We are in the token phase of presidents now and it has to be a non-white male to beat Obama. The demons of diversity have made it so. We have to throw them a bone to stand a chance. I sense that we must appease the demons with a woman next. We must throw Sarah into the volcano.

deewhybee on February 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM

This is one of my fav Gettysburg ghost vids. Lots of views.

President Present is meddling amongst swampy waters. He better watch out for him, his family especially her daughters. He has and must stop the race card. Who knows what hatred he will get from the wrong people.

This is a warning that I give not only from my heart, but because I am deeply worried and a bit scared for the course this country and the whole world are taking. All these events at once are not normal.

Now, Palin has been the only one Obama seems to mind-whatever she types, several days later he implements, i.e., the ONE lift ban on oil drill.

Hope it spreads across the nation. Happy to see some of our guys in position, and more to come.

He will take the credit for it, but we all know who has been calling the shots-and it ain’t all those men that have taken the pantywaist attitude and make skin vanilla latté that don’t get anybody’s attention. Heh even Rush gets copied to a T by Newt. Look it up at C4P, on the Dittocam video; then his interview.

ProudPalinFan on February 28, 2011 at 9:43 PM

At the very least, this is a fine argument for a “Draft Huckabee” movement!

I absolutely loathe Huckabee’s shameless class warfare shtick, but I have to admit that I think he’s the most formidable non-candidate candidate. He has the gift for the gab – the real gift, not Obama’s fake teleprompter version, and would appeal to a large cross-section of conservatives and indys.

Buy Danish on February 28, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Buy Danish on February 28, 2011 at 9:47 PM

He couldn’t even beat McCain, and only beat Romney because he stayed in till the bitter end.

He’ll get destroyed this time.

gary4205 on February 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Amjean on February 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM

excellent.

rrpjr on February 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Amjean on February 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Dang. That is one awesomely awesome post right there. Nice work.

Geochelone on February 28, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I understand Laura’s frustration but chill. There are shoes yet to drop. I think the delay has a few moving parts.

1. The media – Any potential candidate knows the full frontal assault begins the instant they form a pack. The left is not afraid of Herman Cain he gets a pass but let aRomney or Huckabee announce. They get the business end of a flame thrower immediately.

2. Timing. I’m pretty sure that the candidates in waiting have advice from their political gurus to wait until gas prices get out of control. Wait until QE3 kills the dollar. Wait until state budgets start to collapse and the muni bonds dry up. They wasnt this to be a referendum on Obama, not abouot themselves. Vote him out then I’ll tell you about all my good ideas.

3. Letting events shape the debate*. This goes hand in hand with timing. Gas prices shot up the Middle East is in turmoil. The pax Americana that has ensured our low gas prices has unraveled on Obam,a’s watch a weak leader is unable to anticipate and keep it all together. It’s 3AM and Obama let it go to voicemail. Devastating narrative. A smart campaign staff already has the script drafted.

* Obama sees this as well hence his new rhetoric on Libya. It is so transparent it is pathetic. But he is simply using the bully pulpit to build an image. He is the Potemkin President.

The media has tipped its hand separate/alienate the presumptive candidate from the base.

Theworldisnotenough on February 28, 2011 at 10:11 PM

“Draft Huckabee”

Please don’t. That would be enough for me to turn selfish, abandon tea party/Republican party, and pursue whatever party offered me, as a retiree, the most tax payer paid benefits. He is one asshole I cannot vote for even if it would destroy the country.

{^_^}

herself on March 1, 2011 at 5:32 AM

So is this RINO meme; Everyone who believes O needs to be stopped should get in the race, except Palin?

IMO,the Translation; It’s Kamikaze time – Everyone has to get in the race and sacrifice themselves for the greater RINO good because we have to stop our real enemy; that conservative woman Palin.

Between the self-serving RINOs and Libtards we’ve got in gov’t, no wonder the world is going to S__t.

Palin 2012!

Done That on March 1, 2011 at 6:15 AM

gary4205 on February 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM

ZZZZZZ. You can’t go by 2008. I’m so tired of you tedious Palinistas with your idiotic “predictions” which are based on nothing.

Buy Danish on March 1, 2011 at 7:24 AM

Palin, Paw, Mitt, Newt, Daniels and Huckabee are all running. that is a lock in my view.

I think Christie also is running, he’s just playing a for a Draft the Big Guy push from the establishment Media, which is coming through for him on cue. And guys like Ace who take their cues from the Wills and Krauthammers.

And that’s 7. Seriously, how many more do you need? 10? 12? Come on in, the water’s fine, but running is expensive and the others don’t have a prayer, including Ryan, who is just too milquetoast to break through right now.

james23 on March 1, 2011 at 9:08 AM

If you listen closely to Huckabee, he is running!

And if you saw Stephen Colbert’s new book title for Huckabee, then you know that “He is running.”

texasconserv on March 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM

I have a bad feeling Jeb Bush is going to run this time. I hope I am wrong.

Oh goody -four years of listening to; “my friends, south of the…er… border.”

Don L on March 1, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I will say this as a “Draft Condi 2008″ leader:

When someone says they’re not running,there is always a chance that they are not running.

A “Draft” movement is legally impossible. You CANNOT add a person’s name on a primary ballot without their signature or permission. Seriously. We discussed this with all 50 state GOP organizations. (Katon Dawson almost let us, but then backtracked when MSM inquired about it. Big Jerk!)

A successful draft movement would conclude with the person announcing they are running.

Condi shattered our hearts , and credit cards, into a thousand pieces. (Anybody want a t-shirt?)

Lothar on March 1, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Laura has a show. Revving up engines builds noise ratings.

As per Huck exploring ’12, since he already campaigned for potus ’08, it isn’t as if America has yet to learn who Huckabee is and is not. Why should any candidate declare their run early if they learned their ’08 lesson experiencing failure from over-extension through premature entries, matching Obama’s necessary early campaign, Obama being a nobody nationally up through ’08.

Note well, that not declaring one’s own campaign is NOT synonymous nor substantiates the whole cloth propaganda premise to present a candidate to supposedly save America without ESTABLISHING THE PLATFORM FIRST.

The Tea Party Movement demands smaller and confined powers of federal government, and lower taxes while promoting State’s Rights and economic strength. Have specifics ready to spout because voters have the right to know what they are voting for before they vote. If we want our Congress to read and debate bills prior to vote and presidential signature into law, we must do likewise.

maverick muse on March 1, 2011 at 11:17 AM

This Ingraham speech yesterday and the Coulter/Christie Combo last week are all designed to put pressure on Palin to announce early?

PappyD61 on March 1, 2011 at 1:03 PM

As long as we get a CONSERVATIVE (not a pretend Bush Conservative)……

…..that can DEFEAT THE WRECKING BALL in November then count me in.

PappyD61 on March 1, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Can we talk about Rush having Trump on today? It is a sign of how desperate times are for anyone who can even lip-sync conservatism.

The current crop, Mitt, Mitch, Newt, Bolton, etc. is a loser stew.

The only national figure I could see supporting now is Rep. Paul Ryan.

Beating Obama is going to require someone who can decode Obama’s b.s. in real time. Ryan is just the candidate.

Angry Dumbo on March 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Allen West for President

vboscaino on March 1, 2011 at 6:12 PM

What about Ingraham and Malkin stop talking and selling books and try running themselves?? Beck, O’Reilly, too. Victor Davis Hanson, Kahane?? I give Sowell (‘Dismantling America’) a pass because of his age…Point is these and others are saying mostly the right stuff but not really doing their duty. Too much talk and not enough action here. Here’s my book and let’s promote your book and blog over and over. Even Rush should think about it….Actions speak louder than words (and I have read my share of their words!!) and sometimes the sword is mightier than the pen although wielding both is ideal. Some conservatives are profitting mightily especially these days. Put your money where your mouth is people!!

Sherman1864 on March 1, 2011 at 6:33 PM