White House Energy Policies Making U.S. Less Competitive, Costing Jobs

posted at 11:15 am on February 26, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

Pete Sepp, Executive VP of the American Taxpayers Union, digs in to Barack Obama’s proposed changes to the corporate tax structure to determine just how terrific it will be if Uncle Sam can manage to dig a little deeper into the pockets of U.S. energy producers. Not only are the projected results predictable, but he finds that the White House seems to be playing favorites here in an effort to specifically target oil producers. He further notes that the oil industry is no stranger to “special treatment,” since they already lay out more cash to the tax man than nearly anyone else.

Far from qualifying as selective or excessive government fiscal policy, many of the tax rules President Obama brands as “oil subsidies” are actually credits available to any U.S. manufacturer–from microprocessor producers like Intel to coffee roasters like Starbucks to conglomerates like GE. Notice, though, that the administration didn’t bother to specifically go after any of those sectors in his State of the Union last month.

Consider this: since 1981, oil and natural gas firms have paid more in taxes than their shareholders have earned in profits. Specifically, between 1981 and 2008, the oil industry paid more than $388 billion to the federal and state governments in corporate income taxes alone, not counting excise, property, and other taxes. It also paid almost twice that amount, $683 billion, to foreign governments. That helps explain why ExxonMobil recorded a larger income tax expense than any other U.S. company last year, some $17.6 billion or 47 percent of pretax earnings.

There seems to be no inclination on the part of the White House to change course from increasing the cost of doing business for those who largely still can’t do any business while the permitorium continues. Is this just affecting the drill rig employees working for the greedy oil barons? As Jim Hoft discovered with the video below, trickle down economics works both ways. Observe the case of Thomas Clements, owner of Oilfield CNC Machining in Broussard, LA.

The present administration need to step up and they need to do this now and start giving out permits, and get us back to work.

I don’t know why we have to ask to go back to work. Everything that they’ve asked for is there. U.S. companies have gone above and beyond the call of duty. And America is the best at — the best at what we do.

The federal government is over here, it’s supposed to be protecting us from foreign companies or foreign entities — that’s my understanding of what the federal government’s role is — and here they are, not doing anything to protect us. We had great news come out yesterday, the Marine Well Containment System, and what’s the president do, the administration? They say nothing. They haven’t said anything, I mean, I would think that’d be extraordinary news for the Gulf of Mexico.

Clements’ business has reported losses in excess of $400,000 since the rigs were effectively shut down. And if things don’t improve by June, his company will likely close, with yet more jobs disappearing from the Gulf region for no reason other than a lack of support from Washington. The work is there to be done and the workers are ready willing and able. But with no permits the economy down there is drying up.

Are you listening, President Obama? Because the voters who need jobs most assuredly are.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

White House Energy Policies Making U.S. Less Competitive, Costing Jobs

Seeing as that’s one of their goals I’d say they’ve been pretty successful.

Perhaps I’ll have that discussion with an enviro-nazi one day as we forage for grubs to eat and cardboard to sleep on.

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM

When is it going to dawn on people that Obama wants energy dependence on foreign agents.

percysunshine on February 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM

percysunshine on February 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM

We’re already dependent on foreign agents. What they want is much more than that.

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM

We the people paid those taxes in the form of higher costs for the products from oil companies. Kill the corporate income taxes at the state and fed level and unleash our industries.

chemman on February 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Who didn’t know this already? Did we think we were going to ride around with a sun catcher on the roof of our cars? We need all of the above, and have for years. We should be drilling everywhere. Do we think these 3rd world hacks would take better care of the planet when they drill? I think the big zero made a compact with the middle east and some south american countries to stop our drilling so that they could get all of our money. Soros anyone?

Bambi on February 26, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Whoever said that Barack Obama gave a damn about the average working class individual? If anything, Obama has done nothing but show absolute contempt towards major corporations or manufacturers, or even company owners like Thomas Clements.

In his eyes, for whatever insane reason, THEY are the real enemy.

pilamaye on February 26, 2011 at 11:22 AM

The economy is cratering here in south Louisiana. My girlfriend is trying to sell her house but there are no buyers. “For Sale” signs have popped up in the last 2-3 months like an early Spring.

People are losing their homes because they cannot go offshore to drill for American oil because a tyrant has banned them from working.

This tyrant lied to a federal judge about the findings of his own moratorium commission (the commission wrote a letter of protest saying that Int. Secy. Ken Salazar had twisted their findings).

The federal judge in New Orleans has found the Obama Admin. in CONTEMPT, and the modern American Tyrant ignores it.

This tyrannical president’s illegal, arbitrary and capricious banning of American offshore drilling, with NO support from the governed, is costing my neighbors their HOMES.

Obama must go.

IMPEACH. NOW.

cane_loader on February 26, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Are you listening, President Obama?

WH help Americans ??
Surely you jest.
Disgusting administration …. Filthy traitor(s).

pambi on February 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM

They want us to return to living in the dark ages collecting dung for our heating and cooking fires. I for one aren’t going there. I’m installing a wood stove to heat my cabin next year. Lots of trees on my 38 acres and can plant more.

chemman on February 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I have friends who just this week blamed Big Oil, due to their greed, of increasing gas prices just because they could. They refuse to see that this administration is a problem, and they refuse to see the unrest in the ME as a problem.

ladyingray on February 26, 2011 at 11:25 AM

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Just think of it as “spreading the wealth” throughout the world.

rbj on February 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Disgusting administration …. Filthy traitor(s).

pambi on February 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Yep.

VegasRick on February 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM

chemman on February 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Hungry people make very compliant people. Those who resist can die.

That’s about it. Energy is everything.

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM

chemman on February 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Look into wood-pellet stoves. My uncle bought one, and it heats their old farmhouse amazingly well.

Dark-Star on February 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Oil prices must go through the roof for “green energy” to look viable. AGW is a boon to big government and even though it is constantly being discredited, it is the progressive’s new Manifest Destiny.

cartooner on February 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Like I said last year after the Gulf oil blowout — if it had been a domestic U.S. company in charge of Deepwater Horizon instead of BP, we would have spent the final eight months of 2010 with Obama and congressional Democrats pushing bills to nationalize the American oil industry. So it’s no surprise here they would be trying to make things as tough as possible for the oil companies (do a google search for “dunes sagebrush lizard” if you want to see what the Feds are trying to do with oil drilling over a large swath of West Texas).

jon1979 on February 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM

$3.80/gallon at the local station this morning. Hope Barry is happy – he’s getting what he wants.

Will the 2nd recession be named after him?

GarandFan on February 26, 2011 at 11:28 AM

cartooner on February 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM

“Green energy” cannot sustain billions of people. They know that.

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:29 AM

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM

We all will die at some point so I know where my line in the sand is.

chemman on February 26, 2011 at 11:30 AM

He couldn’t care less.

AUINSC on February 26, 2011 at 11:31 AM

This goes in the “no shinola, Sherlock” category, but it ain’t obvious enough fer some folks.

Bob's Kid on February 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM

“Green energy” cannot sustain billions of people. They know that.

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Neither can oil energy, but anyone trying to force the endgame artificially should be certifiably insane.

What happens when a resource NEEDED for modern civilization starts running short? Nations will start fighting over it, of course, and it’ll only be a matter of time before someone breaks out the nukes or the plague bombs.

Modern ‘greenies’ have an Apocalypse Complex just as bad as the deranged fundies!

Dark-Star on February 26, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Bob’s Kid on February 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Kinda what I was thinking.

pugwriter on February 26, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Hungry people make very compliant people.-darwin

I have this plan about burning our food….

percysunshine on February 26, 2011 at 11:37 AM

It bears repeating:

mizflame98 on February 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Dark-Star on February 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM

I’ve have looked at both. I just had 2 pellet stoves installed in the thrift store my non-profit runs. I can heat it for less than 2 grand a winter season verses the 5 grand a season I was spending on #2 diesel. In my case I’m looking at overall cost. I currently heat and cook with propane. I spend about $1600 a year for propane. If I heated with pellets I could get by for about $600 for the pellets and a 500 gallon propane tank would last two to three years for heating water and cooking. A wood stove would only cost me the time to cut wood from my 200 + trees.

chemman on February 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I work in the oil patch. Since I have marketable skills, I get to travel all of the world to keep my income level. Who’s being hurt by the moratorium? Small businesses along the gulf coast, which means the middle class. Remember this the next time a lefty says that he’s for the middle class. More like he’s giving us the middle finger.

Wino on February 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM

“Green energy” cannot sustain billions of people. They know that.

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Left alone, the market will sort out energy needs. When government gets involved, the price goes way up, returns way down and your freedom disappears.

cartooner on February 26, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Nov. 2012 just can’t come soon enough.

tim c on February 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM

chemman on February 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Thanks for showing the numbers. Best of luck to you whatever you decide!

Dark-Star on February 26, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Dark-Star on February 26, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Dude … the only nations that will be in short supply are western nations. Get it? This has been in the works for decades. The Middle East uprising didn’t just happen, and enviro-nazis and democrats haven’t been slowly killing our oil industry for the “enviroment”.

We could be totally energy independent. We have oil, natural gas, coal … plus we could also have nuclear.

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I have this plan about burning our food….

percysunshine on February 26, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Sounds like a wonderful idea. What could go wrong with burning food?

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:43 AM

The greater the cost of oil, the more Volts we will buy. Right?

Dhuka on February 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:42 AM

And if you happen to live in a western nation (as I’m assuming you do), you, me, and most everyone we know are gonna be in a world of hurt! Get it?

Dark-Star on February 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM

chemman on February 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Can you imagine if our private sector was unleashed right now? If our state, local and fed. gov’ts did everything within reason to foster business growth & investment? It would be incredible. It could be started right now.

A rising tide lifts all boats, folks.

visions on February 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Good post Jazz… I have become a fan!

Keemo on February 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM

The greater the cost of oil, the more Volts we will buy. Right?

Dhuka on February 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM

At $40,000 a pop, I think I’ll be getting up early to walk the 11 miles to work, and then back.

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:49 AM

chemman on February 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM

He thinks if its good enough for his Kenyan relatives it’s good enough for Americans.

mizflame98 on February 26, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Who was it that posted here about it costing hundreds of dollars a day to run their tractor?

Imagine agribusiness having to deal with that kind of cost and more…then imagine what’ll happen to your food bill.

Dark-Star on February 26, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Dark-Star on February 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Uh, yeah … I think that’s what I’ve been implying.

Maybe we should mind meld. This comment stuff doesn’t seem to work for you.

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM

How on earth could anybody, in a clear, logical, dispassionate manner, claim that this is anything but a deliberate attempt to destroy American energy production? Of course, the intended objective of that is to stir up the malcontents, Egypt-style, so as to generate chaos.

mr.blacksheep on February 26, 2011 at 11:52 AM

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I agree.

In addition to other forms of energy, I believe that nuclear should be big in the future. The technology has come a long, long way. Even most of the waste can be recycled and reused now.

Of all places, France leads the way in many regards in terms of nuclear power.

Unfortunately many “greens” reject nuclear power because redistribution of wealth doesn’t fit in.

I apologize for continually hawking this book on HA, but it’s just so damn good, I can’t help myself.

visions on February 26, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Maybe we should mind meld. This comment stuff doesn’t seem to work for you.

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM

No thanks, I make it a practice not to mind-meld with house plants.

How about we both just drop it this line of conversation?

Dark-Star on February 26, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Dark-Star on February 26, 2011 at 11:50 AM

It’s happening now.

mizflame98 on February 26, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Do mosque makeover jobs in other countries count?

scituate_tgr on February 26, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Maybe we should mind meld. This comment stuff doesn’t seem to work for you.

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM

No thanks, I make it a practice not to mind-meld with house plants.

How about we both just drop it this line of conversation?

Dark-Star on February 26, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Dark-Star, are you a child?

pugwriter on February 26, 2011 at 11:55 AM

It’s happening now.

mizflame98 on February 26, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Yikes.

Dark-Star on February 26, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I will bet the title took a lot of research. What do You think Obama is doing and why he is doing it? The USA runs on cheap food and cheap energy.

tarpon on February 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM

The USA runs on cheap food, cheap energy, and cheap plastic goods.

tarpon on February 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Mild ftfy…but still, take away any two and we’ll come crashing down.

Dark-Star on February 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM

It’s all too obvious now at the 2-year mark…
Americans made a huge mistake electing this man potus. We are all suffering the consequences while trying our best to salvage what we can of our economy and our way of life. We elected Republicans into office in historical fashion last November, even though they did little or nothing to deserve this result. We formed the Tea Party movement and we are trudging forward trying to preserve and protect from our very own government. Elections have serious consequences; this is the lesson learned. I pray for my country and her people.

My wife and I have dipped into our saving by around 50% at the two year mark. We will likely outlast this President with all of our material goods in tack, having used up 30 years of savings. We have stripped everything on our budget that was not an absolute need; we went into preserve and protect mode about 18 months ago. This administration will have had devastating effects on our people, and the recovery will take years. I no longer speak to anyone that sticks up for this President and his policies; not even family members. Stick up for the man and you wear the uniform of the enemy in my book. Just like it has done to my savings account, it will take years to patch up relationships with those who stood with this agenda, if ever!

Keemo on February 26, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Yikes.

Dark-Star on February 26, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I’d recommend stocking up before food becomes a luxury.

mizflame98 on February 26, 2011 at 12:01 PM

The USA runs on cheap food, cheap energy, and cheap plastic goods.

tarpon on February 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Mild ftfy…but still, take away any two and we’ll come crashing down.

Dark-Star on February 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM

The USA runs on competition. These things you list are the benefits of that competition.

pugwriter on February 26, 2011 at 12:03 PM

tarpon on February 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I already gave you the answer:

mizflame98 on February 26, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Do mosque makeover jobs in other countries count?

scituate_tgr on February 26, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I will guarantee you Egyptian union workers were used. This is all this administration has done … funnel out money to unions. In turn they get a portion of that money back. The taxpayers are paying for all of this.

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I have this plan about burning our food….

percysunshine on February 26, 2011 at 11:37 AM

The best part of this plan is we buy 1.5 gallons of foreign oil to burn 1 gallon of domestic alcohol.
It’s crazy.

The Gubment needs to open drilling and plant building everywhere. That includes nuke plants.

Stop all farm subsidies and farmers should only get agriculture property tax discounts if their land is in food production else the land is taxed as investment property.

esnap on February 26, 2011 at 12:04 PM

The basis of this is the idiotic belief that we will all switch to “green” energy sources, if fossil fuels were raised in price to make them “competitive.” Mark my words.

They see the switch to smaller, more efficient cars in response to the oil crisis of the 1970s, and are setting out to create an oil crisis of their own. They can’t control the chaos they are making, and it is spiraling out of control.

Sekhmet on February 26, 2011 at 12:07 PM

It’s crazy.

esnap on February 26, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Refineries and re-open the steel mills should be high on our list if not at the top.

darwin-t on February 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:49 AM

That’s $40k AFTER the taxpayers kick in an additional $7k, IIRC.

MJBrutus on February 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Good post Jazz… I have become a fan!

Keemo on February 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Sweet! That makes THREE!

Jazz Shaw on February 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Hang on LA, all that revenue from unemployment benefits should be kicking in soon.

scituate_tgr on February 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Sweet! That makes THREE!

Jazz Shaw on February 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Then count me as four. Great article indeed.

VegasRick on February 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Sweet! That makes THREE!

Jazz Shaw on February 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM
Then count me as four. Great article indeed.

VegasRick on February 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Okay, I’ll be #5

Les in NC on February 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM

American Wrecking Ball to BIG OIL industry.

You’re yesterday, today belongs to GREEN energy and G.E. and those that play along with our agenda (Walmart in the Retail industry, Google in Technology, etc.).

PappyD61 on February 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM

percysunshine on February 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM

In case you haven’t noticed…..who have been the biggest contributors to ex-presidents Library and Foundations over the last 20 years?

The Saudis.

PappyD61 on February 26, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Alaska’s Gov. Parnell makes the case that US policy on energy producation jeopardizes our national security.

onlineanalyst on February 26, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Okay, I’ll be #5

Les in NC on February 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM

#6 here.

mizflame98 on February 26, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Expect the goons of the Mess Himself to reply to this guy. After all, it’s the new American way.

RalphyBoy on February 26, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Nov. 2012 just can’t come soon enough.

tim c on February 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM

There are simply too many arguments against an Obama second term. But to my thinking, the two most important long-term arguments relate to energy policy and SCOTUS appointments.

BuckeyeSam on February 26, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Sweet! That makes THREE!

Jazz Shaw on February 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM

LOL…

Keemo on February 26, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Job losses? Weakened private sector economy?

The plan’s working.

Bruce MacMahon on February 26, 2011 at 12:56 PM

The plan’s working.

Bruce MacMahon on February 26, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Yes. Soon high fuel prices will cause food prices to skyrocket. All part of the plan.

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 1:08 PM

***

I’m as much a critic of Obama as anyone else, and his energy policy is killing us. But the numbers in this article don’t make sense. We have a top corporate income tax rate of 35% (very high). To be sure, U.S. oil companies have to pay income tax on worldwide income, and they have to pay income tax to the countries were income is derived. But for U.S. income tax purposes, the U.S. oil companies are entitled to a foreign tax credit for taxes paid to foreign taxing authorities.

The figure of 47% of pretax earnings that the underlying article cites seems very high. If that figure includes all the excise taxes that oil companies are required to pay the world over, fine.

My point is that it’s difficult to have a substantive discussion or debate until all the facts are clearly presented. I don’t doubt that the U.S. needs a lower corporate tax rate, and I don’t doubt that Obama has no idea what he’s talking about when he demonizes “corporate income tax loopholes.” But having prepared a U.S. Form 1120 or two and quite a few U.S. Forms 1120S, the numbers are quite making sense.

BuckeyeSam on February 26, 2011 at 1:10 PM

“…$388 billion to the federal and state governments in corporate income taxes alone, not counting excise, property, and other taxes.”

The dirty secret that the politicians dont want you to realize is that companies dont pay any taxes….you do. Every business out there that is actually in a business to profit, has a margin. If taxes go up, then so do the costs for the end product, the margin stays the same. Ignorant thinking and fools are the ones that want to punish industry for being profitable.

Koa on February 26, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Sweet! That makes THREE!

Jazz Shaw on February 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM

OK,I’m in.

katy the mean old lady on February 26, 2011 at 1:37 PM

BuckeyeSam on February 26, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Good article comparing them today: Effective US Corporate Tax Rates

slickwillie2001 on February 26, 2011 at 1:41 PM

There will be blood…it is just a matter of when and when it starts the polititions all the way to the top maybe starting at the top are going to be first in line in my opinion.

Reality Checker on February 26, 2011 at 2:17 PM

How any one could consider re-electing this hare brain we have for a president is beyond me. Moratorium in the Gulf, won’t drill Anwar, tries to stop any exploration even with the middle east going up in flames. I remember back in the early fifties being stationed in Okla. and they had an oil rig on the front lawn of the capitol. Those were the days.

Herb on February 26, 2011 at 2:25 PM

ODumbAss cares NOTHING for working people. His ideology power and wealth are all that matter to him.

dogsoldier on February 26, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Anyone who concentrates on oil & natural gas as just energy is NOT capitalizing on how much ALL industry is depending on these two sources of raw material for manufacturing products.

Refineries in the U.S. squeeze much more out of a barrel of oil than anywhere else in the world, and far more by-products which are used in all sorts of products (not as “energy”). Even many “green” products are completely reliant on them.

In fact, we squeeze almost twice the amount of products out of oil than Europe does and far more than Japan, Singapore & China do.

Kermit on February 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM

White House Policies Making U.S. Less Competitive, Costing Jobs

Fixed.

CWforFreedom on February 26, 2011 at 3:49 PM

chemman on February 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM

The other day I was (futilely) trying to explain to an idiot Leftist that businesses DO NOT PAY TAXES. Businesses simply serve as the collection agency for government entities. When a tax is levied on a business, it just passes that cost along to the end user as a higher price. That way politicians can blame “evil corporations” for higher prices and avoid taking the blame.

Somewhere on the ‘net is a copy of the exchange between Herman Cain and Bill Clinton. Cain is trying to explain why many businesses cannot afford to pay out more in employee benefits because of the detrimental impact on commerce. Clinton, always a true Leftist responded with, well just raise the price of a pizza two dollars. Spoken like an idiot Leftist who has no idea how a business actually functions.

oldleprechaun on February 26, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Combine Middle East Riots/Wars with Home Cooked energy shutdowns and denials……

….and finally add in the loss of the US Dollar as Reserve Currency……

the loss of Reserve status currency doubles our energy cost from 3.45 gas to 7.00 right off the bat…

then add in the other factors…….economy shutdown

On purpose by the Left Wing, cannot be otherwise. Too many Harvard Grads coneiving with 60′s Radicals.

sbark on February 26, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Remember “Big Pharma”? They used to be lumped in with “Big Oil”. No more my friend, no more. Why? ObamaCare. They made a sweetheart deal in those back door meetings they had with the Dems and came away with an “agreement”.

This administration is purely “pay-to-play”. Big Oil is too much of a liability to the Dem’s base and any effort shown to encourage that industry is a big black eye to Obama from his base, so bad luck Charlie.

As for the MSM, well, I am sure there is an “understanding” that this isn’t “news” to be shown on the Networks or to be featured in a PBS show like “Frontline”.

Marching orders from this administration to their minions are taken very seriously.

Opposite Day on February 26, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I want to make a yard sign:

“Obama: Destroying America one industry at a time.”

Theophile on February 26, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I must say I’m thrilled that Jazz was enlightened enough to construct this excellent article on this very important topic. I’m also amazed that the one person, not even mentioned, who has been repeating this same point again and again to mostly deaf ears has been…. Sarah Palin. The same one who has been so defamed by the 0′s crowd. And this issue is one of the big reasons why. She has been a very lone voice trying to wake up America to this very serious problem.

We have the capacity to be energy independent. Sarah knows this and would like to see it happen asap. It is interesting to note that one, one commentator actually quoted her hand picked successor Shawn Parnell parroting her position on our need to boost our energy production.

Although it may not be what Jazz wants to hear, it’s high time people got behind Sarah and her knowledgeable views on this subject and give her not only the credit she’s due here but the support needed to make her the next potus.

Palin/West for 2012. Organize4palin.com for now.

shmendrick on February 26, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I want to make a yard sign:

“Obama: Destroying America one industry at a time.”

Theophile on February 26, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Do it!!!

shmendrick on February 26, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I’m shocked – shocked!

Dopenstrange on February 26, 2011 at 7:46 PM

In his eyes, for whatever insane reason, THEY are the real enemy.

pilamaye on February 26, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Read Saul Alinsky’s Rules For Radicals and you’ll understand. The middle class is the (useful idiot) enemy that the radical pretends outwardly is their cause for existing…basically, they are the tools to eliminate the corporate structures and capitalism.

President Obama has been the most successful PotUS at implementing his agenda that I’ve ever seen or even read about. A week doesn’t go by that he doesn’t further amaze me with the depth of his commitment to his ideology and the extent to which he wishes to dismantle our republic. I’m fairly certain we’ve been set on a path that we’ll never recover from…the perfect storm of the 2008 elections.

Geministorm on February 26, 2011 at 8:07 PM

This was an ecouraging E-news that I have received from my congressman, Tim Murphy (PA). It describes a bill that he is introducing re our energy independence.

(BTW I learned recently that Murphy, a practicing psychologist works with returning ME veterans in DC pro bono, which I think is admirable.)

Murphy Says Mid East Unrest Hurts US Energy Security

Congressman Tim Murphy said that Congress and the Administration must act now to allow America to develop its own energy resources in order to create jobs and invest in our infrastructure needs, before continued Mid East unrest hinders economic growth and threatens domestic security.

“The new protests in Libya, on top of the protests in Bahrain, Yemen, and Egypt all should serve as a major warning to the US and our economy: become energy independent or pay the price with more job losses, a worsening economy, and families crushed by higher gas prices,” said Rep. Murphy.

Saudi Arabia has announced that it would increase its own production of oil to nearly nine million barrels daily to make up for the shortage caused by instability in Libya, but oil prices continue to hover at $100 a barrel, and experts warn of $4 a gallon gasoline..

Since the Arab Oil embargo of the 1970s, policymakers have talked about cutting its dependence on foreign oil, but little has been done. Foreign oil imports have more than doubled to 61% since 1972.

“America spends over one billion dollars per day on foreign oil, money that is not invested in US jobs, infrastructure, or education. And over 1.6 billion barrels are imported from countries that are politically unstable. It is a recipe for disaster and worsening by the day.”

Rep. Murphy, a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, said that instead of importing oil from halfway around the globe, the Administration should unlock domestic reserves in the Gulf of Mexico and the outer continental shelf. There are over thirty Gulf of Mexico drilling projects just waiting to safely begin production of US-owned oil but stand idle because the Interior Department has effectively revoked these rigs’ previously-approved permits.

“On Monday, I will introduce the SECURE Act, the Safe Exploration Coming from Underwater Reserves of Energy Act. This bill will allow all Gulf of Mexico drilling permits, which have already been approved by regulators, to safely move forward. Congress should act immediately to pass the SECURE Act so we begin using our own oil and gas instead of buying it from OPEC,” said Rep. Murphy.

In addition to the SECURE Act, which would lift the Administration’s “permitorium” in the Gulf, Rep. Murphy will also reintroduce a bipartisan energy plan that will expand exploration on the outer continental shelf and unleash over $3 trillion in new federal revenue. The funds from offshore exploration leases and royalties would be used to pay down the debt, build clean power plants, clean up the environment, increase renewables, and rebuild our crumbling highways and bridges — all while creating millions of jobs and trillions in economic output.

“With this bipartisan energy bill, we wouldn’t have to buy hundreds of billions of dollars worth of oil from OPEC, borrow $900 billion from China, run a massive trade deficit, or raise taxes.”

onlineanalyst on February 26, 2011 at 8:12 PM

This shows that Obama can get things done: He wants to destroy the American economy, and he is succeeding.

GaltBlvnAtty on February 26, 2011 at 9:00 PM

onlineanalyst on February 26, 2011 at 8:12 PM

This bill should be a lock to pass in the House. The real question will be what happens in the Senate and if by some miracle it gets thru the Senate, would 0 sign it? I doubt it, but it would put him clearly on the wrong side of what’s best for this country and expose him even further as the marxist in chief that he is. For that reason I doubt it will even get thru the Reid run Senate.

shmendrick on February 26, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Hungry people make very compliant people. Those who resist can die.

That’s about it. Energy is everything.

darwin on February 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
NOT IN AMERICA!
If a bunch of Cajuns take over DC,Da WH an da capitol n Air Farce 1 hauls bumma to France we be drillin’ on the next day.
Folks in this country of 300 million far out number the couple of thousand union thugs n the current crop of elected Aholes. Look at the crowds in the ME.buma ain’t got a chance if Americans just show up,seems like a flash mob might just happen.

Col.John Wm. Reed on February 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Obama made it clear during his campaign:

1: No drilling for oil
2: No new Nuke-powered plants
3: No new coal-powered plants

That leaves us with windmills and solar power which puts us back in the 19th century.

How many fans and solar panels will it take to run your house or automobile?

shorebird on February 27, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Why can’t everyone understand that Obama is doing explicitly what he wants and getting the results he wants. He has dedicated his life to destroying the United States. He was a totally unknown and got elected President. He has mostly Radicals on his staff. He has the President of the AFLCIO in the white house several times a week and some member of his staff talks on the phone with him every day. His Cabinet does not get that much attention.
The Socialist have been infiltrating for years, Unions, Teachers, Professors, Liberal Democrat Senators, Congress Member, and all parts of State Government. Obama was elected to complete the change over.
They miscalculated, the American people were not as asleep as they thought. We came back so now they are trying to cause Social Disorder so as to gain followers. The Unions are loaded with Socialist so they are the ideal start to the disorder.
The Conservatives have not cooperated, the Unions wanted to have violence but we do not bite. Now they will bring in professional agitators who will start fighting and cause a riot. One spark is all they need for all Unions to go on strike and that will cause a lot of pain in the country. The Union will blame it on Scott Walker and half of the people will believe them.

old war horse on February 28, 2011 at 1:08 AM