Bad news: Kathleen Parker leaving “Parker/Spitzer”

posted at 4:16 pm on February 25, 2011 by Allahpundit

I’d love to offer some thoughts on why the pairing failed, but like almost everyone else, I’ve watched the show for 10 minutes total since it debuted. And yet, I feel a loss. If America’s most famous liberal-governor-turned-john can’t find television happiness with a Pulitzer-winning “conservative” squish, what hope is there for the rest of us?

The good news: There’s now a major RINO vacancy in primetime. Dude, this could be my moment.

Parker’s statement:

After bringing viewers a new 8pm show on CNN, I have decided to return to a schedule that will allow me to focus more on my syndicated newspaper column and other writings. While I am extremely proud of the show we created, and the subject matter and level of discourse Parker Spitzer promoted every night, it was a difficult decision to scale back my column a few months ago and, with the show going in a new direction, it is a good time to move on. I want to thank the viewers who have been so kind with their comments and support. I will continue to appear to contribute and analyze occasionally on CNN and look forward to continuing my relationship with CNN and the many talented individuals I have worked with here.

This is being framed as a resignation but CNN sources were grumbling about KP’s “weaknesses” practically since day one. In fact, Spitz was allegedly telling friends before the “resignation” that she’d be gone within the week. He’ll take over the show with a new title (“In the Arena”) and she’ll get CNN “contributor” status, but it’s hard to imagine either of them now without a foil. So let me throw an idea at you: “Parker/Olbermann.” Yes? Hmm? And if you like that, I’m ready to blow your mind with a new partner for Spitz. He’s colorful, he’s chock full of “insights,” and he’s suddenly got free time on his hands. Here you go. They’d do Super Bowl ratings whenever a prostitution scandal broke big in the news. Slublog’s even come up with the perfect name. How does “In the Octagon” grab you?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

CNN spitzer out?

drunyan8315 on February 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Tell me more about this Parker/Spitzer show, I’ve nver heard of it.

tommer74 on February 25, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Double post….sorry, doesn’t hurt to say it twice.

tommer74 on February 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM

David Frum, Mike Huckabee, Mitch Daniels, John McCain, Arnold Schwartenneggar, David Brooks, David Gergen, will you come on down to audition for the position of RINO floor mat for faux conservative position on the CommieNetrootsNetwork?

eaglewingz08 on February 25, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Like you, AP, I watched a total of a few (maybe 20 in my case) minutes of the show . . . near the beginning.

But that brief period convinced me that there was no value associated with her being on television. None. She sat there literally flirting with Eliot, hanging on his every word and batting her eyelashes.

She is less than a squish. She is a zero. No, she is less than zero, because she reinforced a false view of what some think a conservative woman represents. Net loss.

I’d like to see CNN really go “out on a limb” (for them) and hire a Mary Katherine Hamm, or a Laura Ingraham, and really let the sparks fly.

But they won’t.

They will never hire a woman who could actually challenge his rubbish. So, it’s not a loss. It may even be a net gain with Parker NOT on the air.

One thing is for certain . . . it is just business as usual for CNN.

Trochilus on February 25, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I would tune in for Malkin Spitzer!

CCRWM on February 25, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Phhht. Malkin would make Spitzer cry like a little girl.

slickwillie2001 on February 25, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Parker ws not a conservative; not quite far left.

proconstitution on February 25, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Faux Conservatives hardest hit.

Replace her with Ann Coulter, ratings through the roof.

Speakup on February 25, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Christine O’Donnel paired with Spitzer will be a good pair. And will bring the ratings.

milemarker2020 on February 25, 2011 at 9:18 PM

There are only so many ways you can say, “I hate Sarah Palin,” which is all Parker had to contribute.

From now on, I’ll always think of her as the failed TV talk show host.

NebCon on February 25, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

DaMav on February 25, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Doesn’t this make her a QUITTER???

And doesn’t her quitting make her a HYPOCRITE???

Karma is a B*TCH, Kathleen. You shouldn’t call people quitters. It comes back to bite you in the behind.

Dan Pet on February 25, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Replace her with Ann Coulter, ratings through the roof.

Speakup on February 25, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Along with the top of Elliot Spitzer’s head.

Dopenstrange on February 25, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Uhhh, what channel wuz it on?
I missed it somehow. ;-)