Huckabee to Romney: Why can’t you just admit that RomneyCare didn’t work?

posted at 7:52 pm on February 24, 2011 by Allahpundit

A bizarre clip. I think this is the wrong way for Romney to go — and I think Huckabee knows it’s the wrong way for him to go — simply because Romney can’t afford to admit to any further errors in judgment. He’s forever suspect because of his abortion reversal; if he cops to having screwed up on health care too, Republican voters will conclude that he’s too much of a risk for the Oval Office. Better to insist that RomneyCare’s a sounder program than advertised and leave uninformed conservatives to wonder. What’s bizarre about the clip is watching Mitt’s arch-nemesis not only (hypothetically) defend the RomneyCare experiment but do it darned effectively. It’s a case study, in fact, of how superior Huckabee is as a communicator to Romney. Not only does he seem sincere (giggle) in praising Mitt’s boldness for tinkering with universal health care, but I actually felt better about Romney after watching it. Good lord — the Mittheads should edit this for a campaign commercial!

Two clips here, the first on RomneyCare and the second a wide-ranging interview with Laura Ingraham from this morning. It’s long-ish, but at least listen to the middle part where he politely invites Chris Matthews to seek psychiatric help.

Comments

He’s right. He’s also a cretinous A-hole.

BuzzCrutcher on February 24, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Romney thinks he has labor in his pocket. What a putz. Labor relates to Romney – it even sounds ridiculous.

ericdijon on February 24, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Did Pepto-Bismo pink shirts and ties suddenly become cool this year? Every politician. Gross.

Marcus on February 24, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Mitt when you need Huck to defedn you it might be time to “explore” other options as far as careers go…

unseen on February 24, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Huckabee, Romney, Dole, McCain, Ford, Bush 41, etc.

No conservative mojo there.

pugwriter on February 24, 2011 at 8:03 PM

It’s a case study, in fact, of how superior Huckabee is as a communicator to Romney. Not only does he seem sincere (giggle) in praising Mitt’s boldness for tinkering with R-Care, but I actually felt better about Romney after watching it. Good lord — the Mittheads should edit this for a campaign commercial!

I like Romney. But he just comes off as so fake.

terryannonline on February 24, 2011 at 8:04 PM

When? Maybe when Huckabee admits he is wrong on cap and trade, amnesty, crime, taxes, free markets and the nanny state. Try leading Mr. Righteous Preacher.

swamp_yankee on February 24, 2011 at 8:05 PM

I like Romney. But he just comes off as so fake.

terryannonline on February 24, 2011 at 8:04 PM

For me, it’s more than coming off as fake; it is blatantly apparent.

ericdijon on February 24, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Romney/Huckabee 2012?

theperfecteconomist on February 24, 2011 at 8:08 PM

How about Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney save their money and their breath and their bullsh*t. Nobody wants either of you washed up failures circa 2008.

Herman Cain and Lt. Col. Alan West.
That’s the 2012 Ticket.

And Sarah will be their King Maker.

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:09 PM

For me, it’s more than coming off as fake; it is blatantly apparent.

ericdijon on February 24, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Yep. Plenty of politicians are fake but they are at least able to fake their sincerity. Romney can’t.

terryannonline on February 24, 2011 at 8:10 PM

What Laura Ingram is saying about Michelle Obama,
is what Hillary did as well,trying to take over the
HealthCare back when,unaccountable,and unelected!!

canopfor on February 24, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Herman Cain and Lt. Col. Alan West.
That’s the 2012 Ticket.

And Sarah will be their King Maker.

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Key West Reader: If Sarah doesn’t run,thats the choice!

Cain/West/2012

canopfor on February 24, 2011 at 8:12 PM

I like Romney. But he just comes off as so fake.

terryannonline on February 24, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Good call. That’s because he is a fake…. Nothing but cotton candy promises beneath an only-for-men-fake wig.

Neither are acceptable for me. Huckabee can never be elected. Neither can Romney.

Don’t let the MSM drive this slow train comin’. This train will be driven by true leaders with the guts and the chutzpah to prevail through truth, integrity, honor and leadership.

Nothing else will do.

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:13 PM

canopfor on February 24, 2011 at 8:12 PM

She’s the kingmaker. She will drive policy; do not doubt that fact.

The only reason that Cain is a “wildcard” is because the MSM doesn’t think he can win. I’ve had enough of the politics. We need leadership and we need it now.

Cain can bring the CEO and business experience and West can bring his military know how. What is left to think about?

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Actually, I didn’t think I would be at all “likey” on this…but I thought Huck was extraordinarily gracious in the first cut re: Romney (and I’m sooo much less a Mitster fan than I was four years ago).
Total score in the Ingraham interview on DOMA vs. Obamacare stance. Luv-it!
…And the terrorism chit… I’m a lovin’ it.
Cheese, get me a shrink! I’m takin’ a second look at Huck…I can’t believe it! Intervention, please!!!!!

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I think most politicians are fake. Just some are better than others at being fake.

terryannonline on February 24, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Romney has flipped flopped too many times. RomneyCare is an albatross, so, besides being a retread, he’s out.
Huckabee has a great gig on Fox and if he keeps eating, he’s not going to fit into the WH, besides his semi-liberal stances, he is not a good fit for the fighter we need to challenge Barry.

HornetSting on February 24, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Herman Cain and Lt. Col. Alan West.
That’s the 2012 Ticket.

And Sarah will be their King Maker.

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:09 PM

You had me until you spouted this nonsense.

Explain IN DETAIL, why a guy who couldn’t even get elected locally, against a RINO, in one of the reddest of red states, is gonna ever be elected POTUS.

THEN explain, in detail, just exactly how someone who has never run a city, never run a state, and has absolutely ZERO experience in government should be taken seriously.

Herman Cain is a good man, but he has NO foreign policy experience, at a time when the entire world is coming apart.

He has no energy experience at a time when gasoline is about to hit $7 a gallon.

The man talks a good talk on fiscal matters, but so do 90% of the commenters here at Hot air, and just like us, Herman Cain has absolutely no record whatsoever of accomplishing anything in a governing role.

It’s complete irrational to think someone with less experience than Barack Obama can be President at this point in history.

If everything was right with the world, Cain would be an interesting choice. But not now. We need PROVEN leadership.

Cain might make a good Commerce Secretary in the Palin administration, but that’s it.

You guys need to stop wishcasting and day dreaming, and realize just how much trouble this world in in, and just how bad we need someone with PROVEN skills.

gary4205 on February 24, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I especially liked the part of the interview where Laura blamed Bush for the election of the most left wing President in history and the election of the Democratic Majorities. That was interestingly edited out of this clip. Perhaps she regrets it.

Huckabee is a Bloomberg-wannabe. The food-fascist stuff is indicative of a person who is out to control everyone and everything.

Glad you got your own weight problem under control now mind you f’ing business.

As for the mormon thing being a lie, need we remind you of this:

New York Times quoted him asking “Don’t Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?”

I would think Laura would love Michelle Obama’s agenda since she talks about food so often I stopped listening to her long ago. I want to buy her a 16oz NY Sirloin, some fries and a slice of Cheesecake so she can stop starving herself and get over her food obsession.

TheBigOldDog on February 24, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I like Huck, so long as he stays on TV.

But as a politician, no way.

petefrt on February 24, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…..Romney = Republican John Kerry.

terryannonline on February 24, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I like Romney.

terryannonline on February 24, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Romney = Republican John Kerry.

terryannonline on February 24, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Two possible conclusions

1) terryann likes John Kerry

2) terryann likes flip floppers.

MeatHeadinCA on February 24, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:09 PM

I so, so wish you were right, but there is so much vitriol against her, it amazes me. That does not mean I don’t support her, but, for example, last night I responded to a friend on FB who posted an anti-Sarah link, that I was confused as to why they were so frightened of her.
I said I didn’t understand the silly vitriolic response to anything she said, and thought that the fact she spoke her mind and didn’t pull any punches was awesome…the response: something like “She demonstates everything that’s wrong with this country and she’s a monster.”
Sigh!
You reason with that kind of foaming at the mouth anger, how?
I’m crying “Uncle!” these libs are wearing me down (not really)! But I can’t believe their vitriol!

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Palin is sitting on the sidelines watching this going:

“Hey Huck, let’s you and Romney fight!”

This has just been an unalloyed good week for her. She steals the headlines by going to India, the Bailey book gets panned for what it is and is forgotten because she refuses to acknowledge it, and now Huck is picking a fight with Mittens.

I wonder if the two have a pact or something.

Everyone hates Mittens in the Republican Party. Obama would win a popularity contest over Mittens in the GOP.

victor82 on February 24, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Why can’t Huckabee admit he has a problem with Mormons? He thinks Rev. Wright and his hateful brand of religion is just fine, but Mormons are a problem?
And Huckabee, why can’t you admit you gave pardons to rapist/murderers?
Why can’t you also admit your son is an animal abuser? And who paid for your new teeth, body lifts and all the other plastic surgery that doesn’t seem to be working?
(Not a fan of huck)

lonestar1 on February 24, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I like Romney. But he just comes off as so fake.

terryannonline on February 24, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Unfortunately there’s no cure for that. It’s his personality to be amiable until he gets mad and releases his intellect by speaking bluntly. Then he’s great. Not sure how long he’s been like this. I do know he came off as “mean” and made Teddy cry and call on the sacrifices his family has made in blood to the country to fight off a strong challenge by Mitt in the 80s…that was said to have hurt him and since I’ve only seen the other Mitt when he gets angry – or drops the pretenses – like a reporter who claimed the press represented the people and Mitt lectured him about being the only person in the room actually elected and the 2nd time was the radio hist attacking his religious beliefs.

TheBigOldDog on February 24, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…..Romney = Republican John Kerry.
terryannonline on February 24, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Huckabee = Republican Barky Obama

lonestar1 on February 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Chewster? This next election is not going to be a beauty contest. Huck and Mitt have been like a sideshow. Huck has a show on Foxnews and Mitt is still the heir to a fortune and he has great hair… like… um.. John Edwards.

What we MUST do, is work to elect true leaders. Herman Cain is an accomplished businessman, raised in America who worked his way up the ranks to become a CEO of a major corporation.

West is an accomplished military Leader who worked his way up the ranks to his Rep seat by speaking the plain truth.

America needs to be united. These are strong men who love America and all that She offers and All that She can be. Their accomplishments are a testament to Who and What We Are.

Let Sarah be kingmaker this go around. Let the MSM tie themselves in knots. Sorta like the cartoon characters we see on TV, only with foaming mouths.

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Two possible conclusions

1) terryann likes John Kerry

2) terryann likes flip floppers.

MeatHeadinCA on February 24, 2011 at 8:25 PM

You caught me! I like politicians who are inconsistent!

I like Romney because he has other qualities I admire. He’s smart.

terryannonline on February 24, 2011 at 8:31 PM

This is just bad analysis, AllahP. He’s already suspect for backing MassCare. IT’s not like conservatives are trying to decide if they like health care reforms. Cons have already decided the reform is bad. Either Romney admits he was wrong to be in agreement with his party, or he doesn’t and he keeps the issue alive as a gulf between him and his voters. He would be far, far better off to admit a mistake, because everyone’s line against Romney is MassCare. If he can’t recant that he can’t win, period.

alwaysfiredup on February 24, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Sheesh. We sure got our share of Jackwagons on our side of the aisle. Its a real Stoogefest with MitchHuckMittNewt.

They can’t get out of their own way.

Geochelone on February 24, 2011 at 8:35 PM

You caught me! I like politicians who are inconsistent!

I like Romney because he has other qualities I admire. He’s smart.

terryannonline on February 24, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I don’t see the intelligence in inconsistency.

MeatHeadinCA on February 24, 2011 at 8:35 PM

alwaysfiredup on February 24, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I couldn’t have said it better.

MeatHeadinCA on February 24, 2011 at 8:36 PM

TheBigOldDog on February 24, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Yes, Romney does well when he lets his guard down and actually shows emotion (like anger). I think Romney is capable of doing what Rumsfeld did to Jon Stewart last night….totally destroyed Stewart with his intellect.

terryannonline on February 24, 2011 at 8:37 PM

RINO Wars:
The Final Conflict !

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 24, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I also suggest that we come out of this gate early.

This will give the MSM plenty of time to reduce themselves to ashes. During the campaign, we can expose the absolute and egregious remarks by many in the Hollywood bunch, the Michael Moores, the absolute idiots that have worked so hard for so many years to destroy this nation.

I pick these men as leaders because they ARE leaders.

If I want a HackNey milktoast run of the mill bullsh*t team? Then by golly by gosh, I’d be a host on MSNBC, NBC, CBS, CNN, ABC. And I am certain that I would be courted by the WH to bow at the dear leader as he adjourns to his private quarters, NBC.

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:39 PM

lonestar1 on February 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM

I used to think so, too. Now, I’m not so sure…anything would be an improvement over what we have, God help me…I hate to admit it, but I’m so inclined to vote for anybody…even a single-celled protazoa, if I thought they could beat Obama…I’ve NEVAH been in that camp! Always wanted to vote my conscience.
Exit question: if ANYONE does challenge Dewon for the nomination, second Operation Chaos???

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:15 PM

The fact that Cain has never run a city, never run a state, never run ANYTHING in government. NOTHING.

THAT’S what’s left to think about!

Yes, I KNOW Cain was the CEO of Godfathers, and worked as an executive forever.

So what. Romney was also a “successful” executive in business, and turned out to be one of the worst, least effective governors in the country. A total disaster.

Business experience means very little.

In the civilian world, if the wheels come of the wagon, you can hire and fire and do almost anything to get back on track, with little hindrance.

A Governor or President doesn’t have that luxury.

They have to be able to navigate some treacherous waters, and need an incredible skill that few posses, to be effective. They can’t hire and fire members of congress or other heads of state. They gotta work with what they have.

There are very few effective leaders as it is, that are qualified to be president, but at this point in time it would be reckless to even THINK about someone with no record whatsoever, especially when you have someone with TWO DECADES of PROVEN abilities to get things done in a high pressure, fast paced environment.

Herman Cain is a good guy, but to think he’s the right guy, ESPECIALLY now, is insanity.

Not sure what kind of person would think Palin is good enough to do all of the hard work to make someone else, an inferior someone else, the king, but not good enough to be the “king” herself.

Whatever you wanna call it, it’s wrong headed, and detestable.

gary4205 on February 24, 2011 at 8:39 PM

If Americans put the same effort in trying to save their country as they do squabbling amongst themselves the world would be a better place.

Unbelievable.

Crux Australis on February 24, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Second Look at Huckster?

a capella on February 24, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Let Sarah be kingmaker this go around.

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:31 PM

You’ve said that three times already in this thread alone.

No, no, and no.

I hope she runs. She’s the only potential/likely candidate who doesn’t need king making.

I’m sick of also rans, RINO’s, squishes and silent types whenever important issues confront us.

BTW, did I miss HA’s posting of Sarah’s Libya remarks yesterday?

Opinionator on February 24, 2011 at 8:42 PM

terryannonline on February 24, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Terry, we “ain’t electing no beauty queen male rinoprogs. Get that through your head and take it back to your masters and let them know that 2012 is about saving our Nation and we could not give a dang effing carp about what your analysts have to say about it.

Then, get back to us with your WH polling and focus group results.

This is NOT a game.

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:42 PM

terryannonline on February 24, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Rumsfeld did not destroy Stewart with his intellect. He merely succeeded in not getting drawn into Stewart’s game; i.e., Stewart did not destroy him. It was a very impressive performance by Rumsfeld in navigating the interview, but it really didn’t hurt Stewart at all or even make him look bad. It was more like a boxing match decided by points at the end instead of a KO.

alwaysfiredup on February 24, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Palin is sitting on the sidelines watching this going:

“Hey Huck, let’s you and Romney fight!”

I wonder if the two have a pact or something.

victor82 on February 24, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Oh, it’s even better!

People are STILL talking about her appearance in Long Island last Thursday where she wowed the hell out of a mostly democrat audience of business movers and shakers.

Even some of the usual suspects are saying she kicked ass!

Also, that Gallup poll that for SOME reason, HA hasn’t reported on, shows she tied with these two idiots Huck and Mitt, for the win, and has the moderates, indies, and even some liberals going her way over those two.

While the rest of the Stupid Party looks like a bad episode of the Keystone Kops, Sarah is out there showing how it’s done!

gary4205 on February 24, 2011 at 8:47 PM

canopfor on February 24, 2011 at 8:12 PM
==================================
We need leadership and we need it now

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Key West Reader:Yes on all points,and can you imagine the
MSM interviews,with these two,talking no
bs!!:)

canopfor on February 24, 2011 at 8:50 PM

BTW, did I miss HA’s posting of Sarah’s Libya remarks yesterday?

Opinionator on February 24, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Her remarks were the WH’s talking points today.

Or, did you miss that fact, jack?

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:15 PM

IMO: We need to get the current occupant out of the WH at all costs. I firmly, resolutely believe that by defying the rulings of multiple FEDERAL judges he has violated the oath of office in spades. OMG this clown makes Clinton and Nixon look like choirboys!!! Impeach his a** ALREADY!
I (heart) both Cain and West…but IMO, y’all are promoting them for two reasons: 1)you like what they say, 2)They are black conservatives and you think that’s the way to take on Barack.
I disagree. Having said that I love both of them, but I wanna be inittowinit, and neither of these gentlemen have the gafiltafish that it’s gonna take. Let them be among the king makers, like my gal, Sarah…they ain’t gonna be the king (hate the term king here.)

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 8:51 PM

This isnt aimed at mitt its aimed at Sarah

William Amos on February 24, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Or, did you miss that fact, jack?

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Yes I did. That’s why I asked. I don’t have time to read every line at this blog.

Kindly refrain from name calling if you don’t agree with my opinion, eh?

Opinionator on February 24, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Did you get into Michelle Malkin’s site?..:)

Dire Straits on February 24, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Yup! Didn’t a preface it with, “Get me a shrink??”

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 8:51 PM

I read your post quite carefully.

I suggest that others do the same.

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Dire Straits on February 24, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Alas, no. (Sigh, kicks dirt)

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Bummer!..Maybe next time..:)

Dire Straits on February 24, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Elmer Gantrybee is glib, you have to give him that. Of course, most game show hosts are glib.

james23 on February 24, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Alas, no. (Sigh, kicks dirt)

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Chewy the Lab:D*mmitt Chewy,and Dire was sending up
distress flares as a heads up!:)

canopfor on February 24, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Huckabee to Romney: Why can’t you just admit that RomneyCare didn’t work?

Because most Americans don’t know that, that’s why.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 24, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Chewy is tilting head, looking confused. Was that snarky?? Please clarify.

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM

alwaysfiredup on February 24, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Keep in mind that what you saw was likely edited for public consumption.

CurtZHP on February 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Kindly refrain from name calling if you don’t agree with my opinion, eh?

Opinionator on February 24, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Heh… I would ask you, your union members, your socialist democratic faux American Dem Party to refrain from inciting violence throughout the Nation.

I would also ask you to reign in Van Jones, who, under the banner of your party intends to incite rally’s throughout major cities in the United States on Saturday when most normal people take their children to parks.

I would also ask that your party of theft reign in your Union Goons and publically post a Union Mandate that no non-union people can be assaulted on Saturday 2/25/11.

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM

canopfor on February 24, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Well, even though I’m just Chewy’s alter ego…we do say he rides the short bus!
Opps! Snap! I guess that somehow denegrates some underprivileged class! In the words of Larry the Cable Guy: “Lord, I do apologize!”

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Chewy is tilting head, looking confused. Was that snarky?? Please clarify.

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Sorry babes. And Cano

I was AFK for a bit… 3 dogs, 2 teenagers, and a stray acorn knocker. I didn’t mean to be snarky..

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM

What??? What caused you to presume any such thing about me?

You won’t find anyone more conservative than me. I expressed my support for Sarah Palin! And I have on many occasions at HA.

You are completely wrong. Your apology is in order!

Opinionator on February 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM

You are completely wrong. Your apology is in order!

Opinionator on February 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM

You have my apology.

Without divulging too much, hubs came home today after being gone for weeks and for the weeks he was gone we had beautiful and wonderful peace in our home.

I’m sorry to anyone that I offended tonight.

I apologize.

… Night to all, and much love for a beautiful Morning in America.

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Thank you. .

I hope you’ll find new peace immediately if not sooner!

Opinionator on February 24, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Best case scenario: Huck destroys Romney. Huck obliterates self.

wraithby on February 24, 2011 at 9:28 PM

wraithby on February 24, 2011 at 9:28 PM

That, or both decide not to run.

Opinionator on February 24, 2011 at 9:32 PM

If I were Huck, I wouldn’t be using terms like KILLER… as in KILLER Maurice Clemmons…. as in KILLED 4 police officers.

stenwin77 on February 24, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 9:21 PM

No offense! Happy homecoming to hubby. Hope things chill.

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Man…the laura interview was good. But laura can be so friggin obnoxious.
I can’t listen to her show anymore. Just too annoying.

(but she IS really HOT though. LOL!)

>:D

Handel on February 24, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Key West Reader on February 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM

What??? What caused you to presume any such thing about me?

You are completely wrong. Your apology is in order!

Opinionator on February 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Conservatives of the U.S. untie!!!

LMAO

Wait until the next Ron Paul or evolution vs. creationism thread/bloodbath here.

Seriously, we’re not clones of each other. For example, we could argue about how our particular brand of Christianity is better than the others and so on…point is, most (I believe) of us here are united in a belief in Christ as our Savior.

This divisiveness does no good. There are a couple of true Liberals here and they’re entitled to their say (and I would hope they would feel the same way on one of their Lib-heavy sites regarding dissenters). Disagreeing on some points does not mean one is not a Conservative, especially if they feel that’s where their fundamental values lie.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 24, 2011 at 9:53 PM

It is my personal opinion that people have the wrong idea about “Romney Care”. The state legislature of Mass was going to produce government health care come hell or high water and they could override his veto.

I believe he did the best he could do under the circumstances by trying to make it a private industry solution rather than have the state become the insurer. So he proposed a system where the state mandates everyone have insurance (which according to the constitution, states can do but the federal govt. can’t). This at least meant people who had their own insurance at work saw little or no change. The problem comes in for the people who were picked up by the state “fallback” system, the unemployed, for example. These people, having no employer, had to get on the state program to comply, that system is going broke.

I think Romney did the best he could do under the circumstances. Mass was *going* to get government provided healthcare he could have tried to veto a different bill, but it would have been overridden and with a worse result.

There just weren’t any good choices.

crosspatch on February 24, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Alas, no. (Sigh, kicks dirt)

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM

I don’t go over there anymore-for several reasons-so you can borrow my handle if you’d like.
It’s ‘cubbiegal’.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 24, 2011 at 9:53 PM

I agree. I’ve been here for years but don’t comment all that often. When I do, it’s usually late night, PST – when I have time to read and chime in.

KWR doesn’t know me. She apologized – with an explanation – and I accepted it. I hope her day/evening gets better!

No harm no foul, ultimately. The steam that was rushing from my ears has dissipated. . . :)

Opinionator on February 24, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Mitt Responds: I’m wicked PROUD of Romneycare

kevinkristy on February 24, 2011 at 10:13 PM

gary4205 on February 24, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Gary, comparing Cain’s lack of political experience to Obama’s extensive political/community experience is apples v oranges.

Cain has real world experience, Obambi’ world view is shaped by communism. We don’t NEED political experience as POTUS so much as we need someone with common sense. Obambi has NO common sense, just a warped view of how the world would be a better place if only he could squeeze out the perfect unicorn farts.

I rather think that a proven CEO comes armed and ready with ideas to get the economy rolling is preferable to a politician who is adept at political survival. Besides, it’s not as if the corporate and military (re West) isn’t fraught with its own politics. And to top it off, its the people you surround yourself with as advisors that help make the difference. To wit the advisors that McVain and Obambi had/have would be a hoot if it weren’t so serious.

Another point is that successful businessmen and soldiers are adept at getting inside the opponent’s OODA loop. Govt experience is not an accurate measure of success in the WH. Success as POTUS can only be accomplished by conviction (as measured by respect for the Constitution and the vision of a small and unintrusive govt) and moral courage to fight for our inalienable rights.

By convictions, most politicians have them (aside from Crist et al), the problem is what are the convictions? For Obambi, it’s that the constitution is filled with negative rights and he intends to change that. For many donks, it’s that we the people don’t have enough rights and if we’ll only vote for them, they work at giving us new rights. For the establishment RINOs, while they mouth conservative platitudes, it’s all just words, as long as it gets them power & respect a la Grahmanesty & McVain.

Bottomline, yes this world is in trouble, serious trouble, but if Cain really believes what he’s saying, he will be infinitely better than the current bozo sitting in the WH and order of magnitudes better than all but one former occupant in the last 60 years. What we don’t need is a squishy GOP that will only bring us down at a slower rate than teh Whiner in chief.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I will not pull the lever for such a squish should he/she win the nomination. But I will pull for all the others downstream to help the squish man-up or to counter Obozo IF he gets the 2nd term. Right now I only see Palin, Cain & West. Maybe TPaw if he gets traction, but all the other current wannabees can forget about my vote. Sorry.

And frankly, I don’t see how losing a primary to a RINO with backing from the establishment is any measure of his candidacy. If Rubio had lost to Crist, does that mean he is unfit for office? Reagan and Lincoln both lost races and came back to leave a positive mark on history.

AH_C on February 24, 2011 at 10:18 PM

alwaysfiredup on February 24, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Keep in mind that what you saw was likely edited for public consumption.

CurtZHP on February 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM

You mean edited to make Stewar look good. It is his show afterall.

Any links? Did Stewar have to resort to putting on his clown nose?

slickwillie2001 on February 24, 2011 at 10:27 PM

AH_C on February 24, 2011 at 10:18 PM

The problem is that we do not know who these people are. They have no political record and that makes it something of a crap shoot.

“We could grow this economy faster if we had bolder, more direct stimulus policies. The stimulus bill was a spending bill, even though we were told it was going to stimulate the economy.”

What does that mean? Does he think we can spend our way out of trouble if the money is just spent in the right way? It seems that is what he is saying but we need some political track record to make a sane judgment.

I recall all the Republicans going on and on about the guy who was going to take on the unions in a blue state and how he was the future of the GOP. Arnold Schwarzenegger didn’t turn out to be that at all.

sharrukin on February 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Personally, I would prefer that Huckabee shut his fat mouth.

Eichendorff on February 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM

sharrukin on February 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM

All valid points. And I look forward to him running so we can hear more on his POVs. As reported by NRO, Cain didn’t get in depth.

I would posit that there ware ways to stimulate (tax holiday for one) and there are ways to just throw good after bad. I blame Booosh for opening that door, by making it easy for GOPs to go thru that door, the Donks bumrushed trillions of deficit & debt upon us in short time.

As for Ahnold, he’s been a total disappointment. But then again, he really didn’t get grilled on his views vs the other GOP candidates. With Cain, I want to see him debate all these other wannabees and I’m hoping that he will pass the test. But believe you me, if he RINOs out, I’ll drop him in a heartbeat.

Mind you, I’m not foisting some purity test — I can accept a candidate that meets 80% of my expectations, but I won’t stand for much less. By comparison, McVain, Dole, Hucklebee & Christie rate like 55 – 70%. Key being defense, 2nd/10th Amendments, the border and taxes/spending.

AH_C on February 24, 2011 at 10:49 PM

I have no problem with states being the incubators of experimentation, and failing once in awhile. I have a big problem with the federal government picking up and running with that failure, though.

John the Libertarian on February 24, 2011 at 10:52 PM

AH_C on February 24, 2011 at 10:49 PM

I would rather have him serve a term somewhere and then see. It is easy to tell someone what you know they want to hear when you are running for political office. Obama is a case in point.

Allen West for example sounds good as well, but he only backed 76% of the recent cuts and Quayle who sounded a little squishy backed a 100%.

When they are in power we see a little more clearly who they are and how they roll. I prefer to judge them by their actions rather than their words.

sharrukin on February 24, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Every time MIttens talks about Romney-care, it costs him 10,000 votes…

Keep talking, Mittens… KEEP TALKING!!

Khun Joe on February 24, 2011 at 11:29 PM

It is a killer issue for Romney. What choose Romneycare over Obamacare? How can you have someone elected who will support the rancid program you’re voting the other guy out of office over? If you love Obamacare, you’ll vote for the guy who got it put into effect nationwide, not the guy who just got it in place in one state. If you don’t love the overreach you wouldn’t vote for either and would most likely sit out the Presidential election on the republican side. And if the guy can’t even admit this was a gross mistake, how could you trust him on anything else?

eaglewingz08 on February 25, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Ugh. I knew I shouldn’t have read this post before bed. Now I’m nauseous. Huckabee is one of the world’s biggest liars. But he sure is slick…. I mean a good communicator. I really wonder how he thinks he will get into Heaven parading around as pious and a preacher and telling the lies he does. I guess he’s one of those sinning all week, but singing on Sunday types. Thinks he’s righteous because he has a good attendance record. Maybe he doesn’t expect to get into Heaven. Maybe Huck is sent by the Devil and Mitt is actually the saint.

JimP on February 25, 2011 at 12:20 AM

AH_C on February 24, 2011 at 10:18 PM

You are incredibly naive.

It’s one thing to lose a Senate race, and still be “fit” to be a Senator, a good Lord, Reagan was already a successful two term Governor of California! He was MORE than qualified to be President.

Cain has never run a city, never run a state, never run any GOVERNMENT program.

There IS a big difference.

Cain has no foreign policy experience whatsoever, and no experience dealing with legislatures, courts, NOTHING.

If Cain wanted to be a congresscritter, a city mayor, or POSSIBLY a Governor, that argument might be worth listening to, but we’re talking about the most powerful office in the world.

YES, you need to know how things work, and more importantly, a PROVEN RECORD of getting things done.

All Cain has is a radio show and a good line. he has no record whatsoever. NONE.

My point to KWR was he wants Sarah Palin to play “king maker” to a guy that has no record at all. No accomplishments, no demonstrated abilities whatsoever that PROVE he CAN be President.

Anyone fit enough to be President doesn’t NEED a “king maker” to crown them, and anyone powerful enough to crown someone king is powerful enough to be king themselves.

Sarah Palin has been doing this for TWO DECADES has has a PROVEN RECORD of being an effective Chief Executive.

She’s proven she can get things done under any conditions. She’s fully matured as a leader.

Cain couldn’t even get elected locally, against an incredibly beatable candidate, in a state that is very receptive to Cain’s message.

If he wants to be taken seriously, as a politician, he needs to go run for an office he is actually qualified for, and the PROVE he can do the job as required.

That’s what Sarah Palin did.

Frankly, it’s idiotic to think America would trust the White House to a political neophyte, especially after 4 years of Obama.

We need PROVEN leadership, not someone with a good speech. Those cats are a dime a dozen.

gary4205 on February 25, 2011 at 12:31 AM

gary4205

Pfft. This from a guy who can’t wipe his butt without calling out Palin’s name, lol. Talk about wishcasting…someone needs to look in the mirror….you actually think the least electable person on the planet has a chance to win. It must be because of her extensive foreign relations background, lol.

To save money, maybe Obamacare can make Palinbots and Paulbots share padded rooms that both are destined to occupy.

xblade on February 25, 2011 at 12:45 AM

So, basically, you’re saying she can’t even beat a couple of Republican idiots despite having the backing of moderates, indies, AND liberals in a liberal state, lol.

xblade on February 25, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Chewy the Lab on February 24, 2011 at 8:15 PM

The next time I’m up your way, you’ll have to take me to Fast Eddie’s to atone for your flirtation…

Gohawgs on February 25, 2011 at 1:25 AM

xblade on February 25, 2011 at 1:06 AM

No, what he’s saying is that even after 2 years of non-stop vitrol from the left — and some from the right — Palin is still leading the pack of unannounced candidates…But, you knew that…

Gohawgs on February 25, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Slick & Hick are probably the Democrat’s GOP wet dream ticket.

There is just so much material for the Democrats to work with – I can just see their Romneycare and “Willie Horton” ads now.

No thanks.

Done That on February 25, 2011 at 6:28 AM

I am no Romney fan, but Huck should be more concerned about himself then Mitt.
Huck be a good little Christian and stop throwing stones…and remove the plank from your eye.

right2bright on February 25, 2011 at 8:46 AM

There just weren’t any good choices.

crosspatch on February 24, 2011 at 10:06 PM

This is probably good context to consider. But it pales in comparison to Mitt doubling down on stupid.

If he didn’t keep shooting himself in the foot, maybe he would be a contender in the 2012 race. But right now, he’s just a buffoon with a loaded weapon (mouth) that keeps destroying his own chances.

Mitt is one of the few people that will cause me to vote third party, or cast a write-in vote, if he wins the primary.

And I don’t give a crap about his religion…

dominigan on February 25, 2011 at 12:01 PM

what Huckabee says: Schucks, I’m just helpful and likable as can be and really want to just help my friend, Mitt, overcome this issue in the nicest way possible.

what Huckabee means: I’m determined to bring up Romney’s health reform as often as I can until I have proved to the world my superiority and his inferiority. When the polls show it doesn’t matter anymore, I’ll bring up something else, like his perfect hair, perfect wife, perfect family, wealth, his faith, until there is no one left to support him and the world will thank me for saving them and everyone will be eating out of my hand.

Lori on February 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM