Video: Are you ready for “E.T.” — the sequel?

posted at 9:51 pm on February 23, 2011 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, the science fiction event of a lifetime. Alas, if only it were real. This is a fake — a slickly produced fake, to be sure, replete with clever editing and enough gags to make it a bona fide viral video phenomenon, but still a fake. I promise, though, that you’ll enjoy it anyway, either as a straightforward rendering of what an inevitably crappy “E.T.” sequel would look like or as a broader parody of Hollywood’s paint-by-numbers “evil aliens” genre. Why, there’s even an Obama cameo! Although, admittedly, that part doesn’t ring true: He sounds pretty resolute here, whereas in real life he’d issue five or six carefully worded statements designed to avoid taking any clear position on the issue. Hey, it worked in Egypt, didn’t it?

Comments

They missed an opportunity by not changing the guns to be walkie-talkies like Spielberg did digitally with the original.

teke184 on February 23, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Uh no…I didn’t even see the first one.

hawkman on February 23, 2011 at 9:55 PM

“Are you there Elliot? And what about your sister? What is she up to?”

Electrongod on February 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM

There you go. Drop Reeses pieces on the Middle East. It won’t be easy but I am confident that we with thrive.

Electrongod on February 23, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Maybe Mars/M&Ms will finally get it together for a product placement on this one.

bannedbyhuffpo on February 23, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Hollywood’s paint-by-numbers “evil aliens” genre

As opposed to Hollywood’s paint-by-numbers “benign aliens” genre? (ET, Cocoon, Close Encounters…)

The pendulum swings…

ZenDraken on February 23, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I liked it. Does that make me weird?

pugwriter on February 23, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Meh…

Seven Percent Solution on February 23, 2011 at 10:07 PM

I liked it. Does that make me weird?

pugwriter on February 23, 2011 at 10:05 PM

You wouldn’t be here if we didn’t know you were normal.

DarkCurrent on February 23, 2011 at 10:08 PM

NOT YET… We’re still in the feckless foreign policy, stagflationary economic meltdown, 1979 phase. We need to wait about 3-4 years and one, huge presidential landslide in order to be ready for ET…

silverfox on February 23, 2011 at 10:10 PM

I liked it. Does that make me weird?

pugwriter on February 23, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Not at all. I loved it. I can’t believe they got all the key cast members to return(aside from Michael, although I loved the explanation for his absence). Hell, even C. Thomas Howell made a very brief appearance.

I kinda wish this were really coming out. Who knows? There was that Tron 2.0 teaser that came out years ago before Disney ever committed to actually making the sequel. Maybe this will inspire someone to come up with the financing for an honest to goodness feature length sequel.

Doughboy on February 23, 2011 at 10:10 PM

E.T. must be a union boss now. He changed his tune from the last time we saw him. He even gets a little bloody when necessary.
In the past, he endorsed green energy when flying over the moon. Now he spews carbon.

Electrongod on February 23, 2011 at 10:10 PM

They missed a few shots:

Obama offering to meet them with no preconditions, and blaming the invasion on Reagan in this case.

Biden running for his life and then boarding a train.

Hillary sitting at her desk pounding her head on the reset button.

pedestrian on February 23, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Very cool.

bifidis on February 23, 2011 at 10:11 PM

crappy “E.T.” sequel

?

What about the crappy “E.T.” original?

BowHuntingTexas on February 23, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Doughboy on February 23, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Ok, scratch that. Someone said that Drew Barrymore’s footage isn’t original. It’s apparently from 50 First Dates(although I don’t remember her looking THAT old in the movie). I wonder what movies Dee Wallace and Peter Coyote’s footage is from if it wasn’t shot for this.

Doughboy on February 23, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Never saw it.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 23, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Doughboy on February 23, 2011 at 10:13 PM

LOL. I had the same thought when I first saw it. I think it is because I didn’t watch any of Drew’s movies. I wonder why?

Electrongod on February 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I am surprised they didn’t work into the script that the reason they came back was that man-made global warming has made this planet their ideal environment to dwell and thrive.

Mallard T. Drake on February 23, 2011 at 10:22 PM

How ridiculous! This flick has no credibility.

Everybody knows that space-aliens hate Reese’s Pieces. They much rather prefer Milky-Way bars. And if those aren’t around they will settle for Mars bars.

Geochelone on February 23, 2011 at 10:23 PM

OK. This thread is dead.
I tried to fill it up but I am all spent.

Electrongod on February 23, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I never seen the first one but something tells me this version would be much farther up the awesome scale compared with the original.

mizflame98 on February 23, 2011 at 10:26 PM

All of the clips w/famous folks are from other movies, come on that’s obvious lol.

Pretty well done, though a bit long.

brak on February 23, 2011 at 10:27 PM

You wouldn’t be here if we didn’t know you were normal.

DarkCurrent on February 23, 2011 at 10:08 PM

WINNER! You earned an adult beverage.

mizflame98 on February 23, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Electrongod on February 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Actually 50 First Dates is a fairly decent flick. And that’s coming from someone who thinks Adam Sandler’s hardly made anything worthwhile since Happy Gilmore.

brak on February 23, 2011 at 10:27 PM

The clips of Morgan Freeman and Bruce Willis were easy to spot. But Peter Coyote, C. Thomas Howell, and Dee Wallace hardly ever appear in films these days, so it was really hard to tell if the footage was original or taken from another flick.

Doughboy on February 23, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Geochelone on February 23, 2011 at 10:23 PM

But it’s only Reese’s Pieces that Michelle says will loose 20 pounds around your dareair. Can’t you tell by looking at the queen of fitness?

Electrongod on February 23, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Doughboy on February 23, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Then I retract my previous statement. I did watch 50 Dates with the Adam guy in it. I didn’t realize that was her in this movie.

Electrongod on February 23, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Is ‘no’ one of my options?

LastRick on February 23, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Excellently done!

Bob's Kid on February 23, 2011 at 10:42 PM

When O’s face came on, I thought it was just another E.T. at first ;) He was the scariest thing in this vid! Forget the fanged E.T.s., they’ve got nothing on him.

Pretty funny, though I could’ve done with a lot less blood (ewwwww) and Obama (double ewwwwww).

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on February 23, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Wow, that rare thing: a sequel that will be better than the original.

Because the original sucked.

PackerBronco on February 23, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I’m glad to know I’m not alone in thinking E.T. majorly sucked.

Emily M. on February 23, 2011 at 11:01 PM

I’m glad to know I’m not alone in thinking E.T. majorly sucked.

Emily M. on February 23, 2011 at 11:01 PM

I’m with you!..:)

Dire Straits on February 23, 2011 at 11:05 PM

I’d pay to see this just on giggle factor alone. I liked E.T. until I got old enough to hate the pc junk Spiels threw in later.

tickleddragon on February 23, 2011 at 11:09 PM

If it’s a Speilberg movie we need the lack of a father figure or a disfunctional father figure.

Oil Can on February 23, 2011 at 11:26 PM

I’m glad to know I’m not alone in thinking E.T. majorly sucked.

Emily M. on February 23, 2011 at 11:01 PM

How can you hate E.T.?

YYZ on February 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM

The original overrated E.T. doesn’t hold up well and deserves to be spoofed. Even the editing is choppy. It sends a terrible message to kids that they can love a friend back to life. Old Yeller was more thematically sophisticated. Chris Elliott did a good parody of E.T. on his short lived show “Get a Life” — the “Spewy” episode — which exposed the stupidity of the premise of E.T., namely that nobody except Steven Spielberg would really want to be friends with some weird looking alien.

shazbat on February 24, 2011 at 1:05 AM

WOW, A Better Mars Attacks, featuring teh Universal Apologizer.

Kini on February 24, 2011 at 1:29 AM

That was badass.

MrX on February 24, 2011 at 2:37 AM

“The extraterrestrials have announced their desire to peacefully destroy all life on earth. I have invited them to Washington for talks… with no preconditions.”

“The Soldiers acted stupidly.”

[Bow.]

“I have spoken with the head of NASA, and made clear once again that agency’s primary goal is to reach out to the alien world and help them feel good about their scientific advancements.”

“I for one welcome our extraterrestrial overlords.”

logis on February 24, 2011 at 5:00 AM

I was going to start this with: As one of the five people who hated the original ET, and expected I would get slammed, as usual. Where have all you people been my whole life? I had a boyfriend break up with me in the 80s because he said if I didn’t like ET, I was heartless.

di butler on February 24, 2011 at 5:22 AM

Are you ready for “E.T.” — the sequel?

No. Next stupid question, please.

Vic on February 24, 2011 at 7:45 AM

No. And where IS the birth certificate for that pygmy turtle looking dude anyway? He should have been locked up the first time he crashed the border.

Limerick on February 24, 2011 at 7:50 AM

I thought it was a pretty cool trailer.

That “cameo” by C. Thomas Howell was from a clip in a SyFy (or was it SciFi?) Channel movie he did that was yet another remake of War of the Worlds. It was really, really lame.

cebj25 on February 24, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Uh no…I didn’t even see the first one.

hawkman on February 23, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Neither did I and, amazingly, I wasn’t socially crippled by the omission.

SKYFOX on February 24, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Off the chain!

BTW, am I the only one who thinks that Battle L.A. is going to do some major business?

victor82 on February 24, 2011 at 8:31 AM

I get the impression many here don’t realize this is a parody? Made more hilarious because the original is such gooey, over-manipulative drivel that got us to cry over a space monkey.

“Robert Blankenheim” apparently has a lot of free time on his hands, but I haven’t seen such clever fake storylining since Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid.

somewhatconcerned on February 24, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Some of those scenes looked like they may have been taken from some of the Snake B-Movies that show up on the Sci Fi channel so much. With the ET neck strecthing around and through doorways.

I am a little confused why Morgan Freeman would be at a Jonas Brothers Concert, lol.

jeffn21 on February 24, 2011 at 10:07 AM

E.T. wasn’t science fiction–it was feel-good space fantasy for kids.

zoyclem on February 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM

victor82 on February 24, 2011 at 8:31 AM

I’m with ya, but then I love seeing LA destroyed (in the movies, lest anyone thing I’m being ‘uncivil’). Destruction of LA films are always worth the watch, like anything that includes cat abuse (and yes, I’m a cat person).

runawayyyy on February 24, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Kinda feel sorry for all the jaded posters here who a) think E.T is a shitty movie, and b) want to take this an opportunity to make a comment on society and father figures.

What a bunch of boring, miserable sods you guys are.

You-Eh-Vee on February 24, 2011 at 12:20 PM