Chevy to spend $40 million on carbon offsets next three years

posted at 11:36 am on February 23, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

General Motors has yet to return most of the TARP funds sunk into its operations by George Bush and Barack Obama.  They claimed to have paid back the loans given the automaker, but as Chuck Grassley angrily pointed out at the time, they paid back the loans using other TARP funding for the cash.  Taxpayers still have tens of billions of dollars stuck in GM stock, and whether Treasury ever gets to a break-even point is anyone’s guess.

That hasn’t stopped Chevrolet from dumping $40 million in cash into carbon offsets over the next five years, however:

David Antonioli, chief executive officer of the Voluntary Carbon Standard, called MaineHousing’s work a breakthrough because it paves the way for similar agencies to sell their carbon offsets.

The approval came just in time to get the attention of Chevrolet, which was looking to buy carbon offsets as part of a major public relations push. “We were looking for ways to get folks to view Chevrolet differently,” said Bill Devine, cross brand marketing manager at Chevy.

Chevrolet, the largest brand at General Motors, is positioning itself as GM’s most environmentally-friendly brand. It recently introduced its electrical hybrid, the Volt, complementing its line of fuel-efficient Cruze cars.

Chevrolet decided to invest $40 million on carbon offsets in the next three to five years to promote fuel efficiency in buildings, and solar, wind and wood energy projects. Its goal of reducing carbon emissions by 8 million metric tons nationwide is based on the emissions from the 1.9 million vehicles it expects to sell in the United States in 2011.

Shouldn’t we expect Chevrolet and the rest of GM to start buying back stock at prices which will at least guarantee a break-even point for taxpayers before purchasing voluntary carbon credits?  Or is this an attempt by government-controlled GM to transfer its TARP funds to favored programs at the White House?  Readers may wonder what other reason anyone would have in buying carbon credits when no laws require it and no authority regulates it to ensure that carbon emissions actually decrease or increase, but Dale McCormick of MaineHousing explains:

McCormick said the agency’s carbon offsets command high prices because of their associated economic benefits, called “multiplier effects” in the world of carbon offsets. The money saved by low-income families on fuel bills will be spent on other purchases, which will stimulate the economy as well. “When we talked about our carbon offsets at conferences, people were drooling over our multiplier effect,” said McCormick.

I believe the “drooling” part, especially.  Macroeconomically speaking, does it matter whether the money gets spent on utilities rather than food or clothing?  Both go into the private sector.  The only “multiplier” is the transfer of wealth from the private sector to the state in the form of carbon credits, which multiplies the state’s abilities to redistribute income.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

fossten on February 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM

what an idea!/

ted c on February 23, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Chevy to spend $40 million (of your money) on carbon offsets next three years

Vashta.Nerada on February 23, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Money well spent. They might as well buy $40 million of those stars that can be named after people.

carbon_footprint on February 23, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Carbon offsets? I thought the carbon trading exchange went belly up? Who the hell in the private sector is gonna buy these things?

Doughboy on February 23, 2011 at 11:40 AM

“We were looking for ways to get folks to view Chevrolet differently,

Pay me back my tax dollar and quit building crap cars. Not until then will I look at you differently.

Knucklehead on February 23, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I will never, ever, ever, EVER purchase another General Motors or Chrysler product until they are completely in the hands of private industry, all financial ties with the federal government are broken, and the assets that were stolen by the government from secured creditors and GIVEN to the UAW are repaid with interest.

Never, ever, EVER.

I own a Ford and two Toyotas, and I like them just fine.

IronDioPriest on February 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Yet another reason why I won’t be buying any more GM products for a very long while.

edgehead on February 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM

So I guess Gore can stop trying to sell his leftover credits on Ebay now.

Vashta.Nerada on February 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Mission accomplished! Goverment motors will never be the same!..:(

Dire Straits on February 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM

At least 40 million over three years is small in the picture of the Federal budget. We can’t freak out over this. Yet even if one believed the direst picture by climate change hucksters, this still makes no sense by any standard.

thuja on February 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM

COMMUNIST MOTORS
and to think I own 2 of them and I dare say I will not buy another one !!!
How about that ? I am starting a GM REDISTRIBUTION OFFSET

ELMO Q on February 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Redistribution of wealth, plain and simple.

Carbon offsets are a bigger scam than Social
Security.

darwin-t on February 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I suspect the folks they were talking to were drooling because they were democrats, not because they were impressed.

Vashta.Nerada on February 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM

One more reason not to buy from Government Motors. $40 million of taxpayer money squandered (used for political and union connected payoffs) on the global warming fraud.

sandspur on February 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM

TRANSLATION: Income redistribution

GarandFan on February 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Carbon “offsets” only offset the cost of running Al Gore & friends multi-million dollar estates.

tflst5 on February 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Paid directly to Gore?

RalphyBoy on February 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Idiotic nonsense from the Nonsensical Idiot O’Bozo administration.

Who could have seen that coming?

Jaibones on February 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Doughboy on February 23, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Too many people have too much invested to allow that to stay as it presently stands. Hank Paulson among them.

darwin-t on February 23, 2011 at 11:46 AM

IronDioPriest@11:42,
I agree with you! Our home will never buy a gov. motors car or truck again!
L

letget on February 23, 2011 at 11:46 AM

You’ve got to be kidding me!
I’m so disgusted.

ORconservative on February 23, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Idiots. I’m glad I’m not a shareholder.

Missy on February 23, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Never, ever, EVER.

I own a Ford and two Toyotas, and I like them just fine.

IronDioPriest on February 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Ford Fusion, Honda Civic, and a Dodge Grand-Gasoline-Sucking Caravan. Government motors can go eff themselves.

Jaibones on February 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM

New way to payoff political favors,setup carbon offset companies, and collect selling air to the companies, which got paid taxpayer money.

anikol on February 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Um, government is supporting pump and dump frauds like this?! And what can the very definition of pump and dump be better appropriate with, then the promise of riches of you buy my air!

Un bleeping believable.

MNHawk on February 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I wonder who first brought this idea/directive to GM…?

d1carter on February 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

nothing like the government interferring with the free market. If the free market was allowed to work thes eidiots would be out of job and the workers would have a new job by now….

unseen on February 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I do think at a certain point you’ve Wasted enough money.

Chip on February 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Political pay off, just like old fashioned union featherbedding where no show employees get weekly pay checks in exchange for a tranquil labor pool.

Skandia Recluse on February 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Looks like I’ll be buying from Ford this year.

Maybe Toyota, but definitely NOT GM/Chevy.

catmman on February 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM

So, who’s district does the money go to?

Count to 10 on February 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Nice kickbacks to some Democrat donor, no doubt.

I’ll never buy another American automobile. I don’t care to reward bailouts and really have no interest in supporting UAW.

Asher on February 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM

“We were looking for ways to get folks to view Chevrolet differently,”—Mission accomplished GM. I now view Chevrolet as a company from whom I will never buy another car. What frivolous nonsense. Were these people out sick the day they taught business at their business schools?

WarEagle01 on February 23, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Not just no, but I say hell no!!!!!!!!!!

SC.Charlie on February 23, 2011 at 11:55 AM

And to think I have a friend telling all who will listen what purchases they are making with their bonus check.
Disgusting.

ORconservative on February 23, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I love my Nissan. Wouldn’t think of changing brands.

NJ Red on February 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Yay for TARP!!!!

tetriskid on February 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Wasting our money is a “public relations push”? I wonder if there isn’t a hole that Obama has dug that needs filling with this purchase?

Cindy Munford on February 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Seriously. This guy is a total fraud!

What do you look for in a “scientist” working in “climate change?”

Harvard University Kennedy School of Government

We’re literally borrowing money to fund fraudsters. There is just no other way this can be spun.

MNHawk on February 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Don’t think of it as a ‘carbon offset scheme’.

Think of it as a ‘political slush fund’.

Once you do the substitution on these things, their aim becomes extremely clear.

ajacksonian on February 23, 2011 at 12:00 PM

The only reason I can come up with to justify this is that the offsets would allow Chevy to market itself better to the Eco-freaks. It would be a sort of advertising expense.

Now I don’t know the actual marginal profit on the average Chevy. Assuming it is a rather large $4000, these carbon offsets would have to generate and additional 3000+ sales a year over what any other Green campaign would produce to make up the costs. I’m not a marketing guy so I cannot say if it is worth it but I do have my doubts.

OBQuiet on February 23, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Just another reason why I don’t buy GM. A shame too. My first car was a Chevy and I’ve owned several over the years.

There’s nothing they could ever do to get me back now though. I won’t do business with people who would behave so dishonorably with their bondholders or who would treat U.S. taxpayers like their personal bank. They can thank Obama for his “surgical” bankruptcy whereby recovery of honor and trust has become impossible.

Murf76 on February 23, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Show your results.

Wander on February 23, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Precisely how many “Carbon Offsets” does $40 million buy?

Only asking because, as an entrepreneurial type, I’d be willing to print up certificates for the same number of offset credits and sell them to GM for only $5 million.

I don’t see how my certificates could be any less effective than wherever else they are planning to get tnem.

I’d be taking a loss, but I see it as a public service. Don’t worry, I’ll make sure to claim the loss on my taxes.

LooseCannon on February 23, 2011 at 12:03 PM

When you see ‘Green Campaign’ remember that green is the color of money.

Tells you a lot about them when you think that way, too!

If they did it to get a ‘Green Certification’ then that just shows you that they paid money for it… sort of like indulgences, only for this life instead of the next.

ajacksonian on February 23, 2011 at 12:04 PM

“We were looking for ways to get folks to view Chevrolet differently,”

Good job! If Obama loses in 12, you’re toast.

elfman on February 23, 2011 at 12:04 PM

I will never buy
Another GM product.
Nor will I rent them.

If I have to choose
Between GM and walking,
I will take a walk.

Haiku Guy on February 23, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Pay to whom??

I rode my bike to work, and no one offered me a d*mned cent.

But there’s one dealer you can trust: Honest Howie’s Carbon Credits. “You can trust him, he’s not like the others.”

MassVictim on February 23, 2011 at 12:05 PM

MNHawk on February 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Political Entrepreneurs vs. Market Entrepreneurs.

That is, crony capitalism & technocrats (the Left) vs. the private sector.

I’d like to use this opportunity to remind our friends on the Left that it is their ideology that creates and upholds monopolies. Free market forces will always naturally tear down monopolies. “Political entrepreneurs” align themselves with big-government Leftists to preserve monopolies and crush smaller competitors. There’s been many books written about this…

visions on February 23, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Carbon neutral does not mean carbon free. Just another scam.

Sleeper on February 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM

I should have pointed out that these additional sales have to not come as a result of lost sales to other GM lines. If the Eco-card gets someone to buy a Volt rather than a Buick or GMC Truck, they may have a next LOSS of profit.

OBQuiet on February 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM

I own a Chevy purchased 10 years ago. It has been a good vehicle. I will be replacing it in the next year. I will never again buy a GM vehicle.

Over50 on February 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM

With sound financial management like this, GM should be out of bankruptcy and turning a profit in no time! Why it makes me feel so warm and fuzzy to know that GM loves the planet so much. I think I’ll go outside and burn something to make up for their newly acquired carbon credits. While I’m at it, I’ll take the catalytic converter off my Chevy truck…

Striving daily to increase my carbon footprint!

kringeesmom on February 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM

On top of the bailout we are also giving Government Motors another $16B. This is in the form of special tax breaks created just for Government Motors:

Rasmusen Presents The Lawlessness of the GM NOL Ruling

GM Could be Free of Taxes for Years

(I am following the current trend of referring to a tax break as ‘spending’.)

slickwillie2001 on February 23, 2011 at 12:07 PM

And how exactly does this benefit GM shareholders? They might as well have dumped the $40.0 million down the toilet.

BacaDog on February 23, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Redistribution of wealth, plain and simple.

Carbon offsets are a bigger scam than Social
Security.

darwin-t on February 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I agree except for one thing. I don’t think the poor are the ones getting the “redistribution.” I don’t know many poor who are selling carbon offsets.

UnderstandingisPower on February 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM

BacaDog on February 23, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Hey! I’ve got an idea. How about giving that $40 million to the bondholders who got royally screwed in the deal.

UnderstandingisPower on February 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM

They might as well pay another 40 million in indulgences to the Catholic Church for lying to and stealing from the public.

Rambotito on February 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Exactly.

MayBee on February 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM

How do carbon offsets work with growing more corn that is turned into ethanol to burn in my car engine? A half gallon of 100% ethanol, grain alcohol, at the liquor store runs about $40.

SC.Charlie on February 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Corrupt, dirty thugs.

petefrt on February 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Redistribution of wealth, plain and simple.

Carbon offsets are a bigger scam than Social
Security.

darwin-t on February 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM

UnderstandingisPower on February 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM

That is always the case when you have a planned economy – the only ones that come out ahead are the economic planners themselves.

Chip on February 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I love idiots who give press releases.
Enviro reasons: No
Profitable reasons: No

A Government bailed out shell of a company who arent even close to breaking even who need positive press: Yes

I will also argue that “positive press” being carbon credits, is roughly .0004% of the formula for success for a car company. No one cares about bogus carbon credits, except liberal snake oil salesmen, ala Al Gore.

Dont believe me???
Ask an auto industry analyst, whether buy side or sell side.

Odie1941 on February 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I guess that Volt thingy isn’t doing much for their carbon foot print…

RalphyBoy on February 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM

thuja on February 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM

It’s not supposed to be in the Federal budget in the first place. Also, it may be small, but that’s how the government has been growing for these past 80 years – one little tiny baby step at a time. $40-mil here, $60-mil there, $20-mill here – and there are thousands upon thousands of these small, tiny, incremental programs. And they all add up in the same wrong direction. Just because it’s small doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be cut.

Besides, I can’t help but think that plunging this $40-million into research for an incremental mpg improvement may very well reduce carbon emissions, not just offset them. Wrong focus. Wrong program. Wrong mindset. Wrong all around.

ss396 on February 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Bought a Ford Fusion for the first time in 20 years. Had been buying Subarus but was impressed that Ford could pull off success without the Feds. Like it a lot.

jeanie on February 23, 2011 at 12:18 PM

“We were looking for ways to get folks to view Chevrolet differently,”

Works for me, except if I post my views at HA, with accompanying bleep-bleep words, I’ll be banned for life.

For 16 years, used to always lease Chevy Silverado’s. Never again.

GrannyDee on February 23, 2011 at 12:20 PM

… people were drooling over our multiplier effect,” said Madoff.

John Deaux on February 23, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Carbon neutral does not mean carbon free. Just another scam.

Sleeper on February 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Exactly, in fact – it actually INCREASES the total “footprint” by design, under the faux “eco friendly” meme.

Example:

100 is the cap for monthly carbon credits.

Company A produces 140 units a month and is looking to sell at least 40 of them to Company B – who produces 0 a month.

Total net production: 140 a month beteween Company A (100) and B (40). Exactly the same before the sale.

Now Company A realizes Company B is still under the 100 / monthly level – and decides to ramp up production (at a premium to pay for the carbon credit dsales compared to normal production) and goes to 140 again.

They then sell the 40 to Company B – to be at 100 again.

Total carbon “footprint” – between Company A and B post sale: 180 a month.

Company “B’s” in this example are the Enron like middle men, making a market out of nothing but premiums to then create a shell “Carbon Credit Buyer” Companys are popping up all over the world to steal money – through the fraud, who produce nothing, but “buy” Company A’s carbon credits – to a net result of higher carbon output, more expensive production and zero effect on the environment.

Thats the Carbon Credit shell game.

Odie1941 on February 23, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Idiotic!

If one needed a reason to NOT buy a Gubmint Motors car, this is it.

I haven’t bought a GM car since 1981, and wouldn’t anyway, but this is utter BS.

txdoc on February 23, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Our family used to buy GM products. Now, I have a Toyota, as does my son. My wife has a Hyundai; my daughter a Honda.
GM is dead to me.

(whoops… hope that doesn’t get me banned)

either orr on February 23, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I will sell them some credits for $30 million. Call me.

faraway on February 23, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Probably if we could point to one thing that kept this country from going over the edge that would be relatively low gasoline and energy prices.
My guess would be five dollar gas prices this late spring and summer and who knows how long it’ll last.

And we’re squabbling about access to borrowed money over 14 trillion dollars? The rights of public unions to squeeze our necks till we all go off the cliff together?

We’re worried about supporting a political climate scam while we teeter on collapse?

Its not play time anymore.

Clear the fog and get the GD bloodsucking idiots the hell out of the way.

Speakup on February 23, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Of course that 40 million will just be passed onto the consumer.

Free money, as long as it comes from us.

darwin on February 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM

If anyone here is considering buying a GM product, please reconsider and don’t.

darwin on February 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I will sell them some credits for $30 million. Call me.

faraway on February 23, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I’ll sell for twenty million … call me.

darwin on February 23, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Don’t buy anything made by the UAW. The greedy UAW is the root of the problem and until the UAW is gone our domestic manufacturers will not become competitive.

slickwillie2001 on February 23, 2011 at 12:36 PM

[Doughboy on February 23, 2011 at 11:40 AM]

Yeah it did. The Chicago Climate Exchange market closed down months ago when trading was down to 5 cents a ton, IIRC, and no one was was trading.

This is fraud, pure and simple, and more likely organized embezzlement. This move is just as bad as Enron and not in the interest of shareholders at all. Shareholders ought to bring a class action suit against the officers of GM.

Dusty on February 23, 2011 at 12:37 PM

[txdoc on February 23, 2011 at 12:27 PM]

It’s worse than idiotic. It theft. The officers of GM ought to be thrown in jail.

Dusty on February 23, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Redistribution of wealth, plain and simple.

Carbon offsets are a bigger scam than Social
Security.

darwin-t on February 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM

UnderstandingisPower on February 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I’d be happy to sell some carbon offsets. I can print up some nice certificates on recycled paper using plant based ink. Then I would go out and plant some seedlings in the Black Hills National Forest and take a picture of one for you to frame and hang on your office wall.

Heck I even walk to work everyday. I’m so green I don’t get pinched on St. Patrick’s Day no matter what I am wearing.

And all for a mere 10 million.

Lily on February 23, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Haven’t been a GM fan for years, and this isn’t helping.

Right now, I’d have to buy a Ford, or Chrysler product. Likin’ the new Dodge Charger. Drove Caravans and Town & Countries forever.

This is immoral.

gary4205 on February 23, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I’m working on a deal to sell flatuent offsets. Perpertual guilt-ridden liberals will snatch them up … especially the high gas producing vegans.

darwin on February 23, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Chevy is now putting new iPod integration in their cars that they are showing off like crazy. The problem is that the technology is still YEARS behind Ford’s. I’m also still baffled as to how the Volt got COTY over the Leaf, in particular.

I actually just checked Chevy’s website (they have a terribly optimized page dedicated to this, guess they ran out of money there). It’s saying that the 40m is essentially money that was earmarked for advertising anyway, so they just plan on running fewer television ads, for example. Considering how I’ve typed the word “Chevy” more times then I would have without this, I’d actually say it worked. Hmm.

Rainsford on February 23, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I’ll gladly sell you all the carbon credits you need.

Unlimited Supply available exclusively to you!
Discount pricing available for bulk orders!
Free Shipping!
Comes with Certificate of Authenticity!
Call Now!

maineconservative on February 23, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Chevrolet had signed an agreement with the Maine State Housing Authority, also known as MaineHousing, that would result in just under $1 million of weatherization work at low-income homes in Maine. The deal will cover weatherization work at about 170 housing units.

Wait! Maine is spending a million dollars to insulate 170 homes? Golly, that’s one expensive insulation job, coming in at $5882.00 per house. There’s must be some major inflation in this business. Contrast and compare:

Progress toward that goal got a boost in 2009 and 2010, thanks to the federal economic stimulus, when Maine received an infusion of $6 million for home weatherization. MaineHousing used it to insulate 4,427 homes.

That’s $1355.00 per home, $4527.00 less than the 2011 estimate. Methinks someone is profiting handsomely from these carbon offsets.

BTW, Yarmouth, Maine is a very expensive town to live in, not the first place I’d target to help “low income” families.

Buy Danish on February 23, 2011 at 12:48 PM

This must be a Free Market System…… HUH

roflmao

donabernathy on February 23, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a carbon credit today…

RalphyBoy on February 23, 2011 at 12:56 PM

When will the MSM report the effect that higher energy prices have on the poor…? Especially on the poor children?/crickets on

RalphyBoy on February 23, 2011 at 12:59 PM

the folly – can’t say anything else printable.

perries on February 23, 2011 at 1:01 PM

fossten on February 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Doesn’t all the “carbon offset” money go to Al Gore’s crazy-ass church?

Appparently this is how the government is funding OlbermannBearPig’s AirAmerica TV network.

logis on February 23, 2011 at 1:01 PM

LOL

And we wonder why our economy is in the toilet when we have morons like McCormick that thinks a carbon offset increases wealth.

ButterflyDragon on February 23, 2011 at 1:10 PM

If I were a GM bondholder, I would be considering a civil suit against GM.

Vashta.Nerada on February 23, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Like the commercial says;

“Chevy bull$hit runs deep”.

You’ll find me driving my Mustang and my F-150.

bannedbyhuffpo on February 23, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Ford may not have been nationalized, but it’s still run by the UAW.

Look for the Union label and buy something else, IMO.

Asher on February 23, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I would have sold them twice the offsets they got from who ever they got them for only $20 million.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on February 23, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Do I understand carbon credits correctly? GM is going to spend $40 million on whatever these CCs are and yet it will not reduce pollution.

Wouldn’t the money be better spent if they took it and applied it to research on engines and exhaust systems? At least you could potentially get cleaner exhaust or better fuel economy. What do you get with carbon credits?

tommer74 on February 23, 2011 at 1:59 PM

What democrat or group will be on the receiving end? Does the uaw own any farm or forest land? Algore playing middleman? This could not be dumber!

tim c on February 23, 2011 at 2:01 PM