The obligatory “Thune’s not running for president” post

posted at 8:30 pm on February 22, 2011 by Allahpundit

So little enthusiasm is there among the grassroots for his candidacy that only now, a good eight hours after the announcement, are we actually getting around to blogging it. Lots of reasons why he’d pass — he’s enjoying the Senate (especially the prospect of a majority in 2012), he’s got plenty of time to reconsider in 2016 or 2020 and beyond, and he’s a D.C. establishment figure — who voted for TARP — at a moment when the base is looking outside the Beltway for leadership. Why bother?

As an old in-joke among Hot Air veterans goes: You know who this benefits? Mitt Romney.

During this time, Kimberley and I and our two daughters have given a great deal of thought to how we might best serve South Dakota and our nation. That process has involved lots of prayer.

Along the way, we have been reminded of the importance of being in the arena, of being in the fight. And make no mistake that during this period of fiscal crisis and economic uncertainty there is a fight for the future direction of America. There is a battle to be waged over what kind of country we are going to leave our children and grandchildren and that battle is happening now in Washington, not two years from now. So at this time, I feel that I am best positioned to fight for America’s future here in the trenches of the United States Senate.

Is Romney the big winner here, actually? Beside the fact that he’s telegenic, the only rationale for a Thune candidacy that I’ve ever been able to come up with is that he’s almost immaculately generic. No scandals, no paper trail, no baggage of any kind. He’s the human incarnation of the “electability” argument: If you want to make the campaign all about Obama’s record, nominate the most inoffensive, inscrutable, Not-Obama candidate possible. That doesn’t describe Mitt, though, who has RomneyCare and his abortion flip-flop and his record of job “creation” as a business guru to deal with. It’s a more apt description of Pawlenty, whose niche in the primaries will be among voters who don’t want either Palin or Romney. He’s the major beneficiary, I think, especially now that Mitch Daniels’s candidacy is also pretty much over before it began.

Keep him in mind, though, for the bottom of the ticket, for which there must now be a good three dozen names in circulation. Exit question: Dude, seriously — Obama 43, Trump 41?

Comments

Rats, that’s who my RINO brother was rooting for.

parteagirl on February 22, 2011 at 8:34 PM

No scandals, no paper trail, no baggage of any kind.

Just like Herman Cain.

Run Herman Run.

Knucklehead on February 22, 2011 at 8:34 PM

What’s with teh creepy pseudo-religious imagery pics?

Inanemergencydial on February 22, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Kathleen Parker hardest hit.

promachus on February 22, 2011 at 8:35 PM

…especially now that Mitch Daniels’s candidacy is also pretty much over before it began.

I love ya AP, but…Come on!

JetBoy on February 22, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Didn’t they get the memo? “Halo shots” like that are reserved for the One.

The Zoo Keeper on February 22, 2011 at 8:46 PM

I came to the same conclusion in another thread here today. But Pawlenty 2012 inspires the same enthusiasm gap as McCain 2008. I think the seeming inevitability of Pawlenty would create an opening for Jindal. If the establishment and Tea Party activists came knocking on Jindal’s door, are we sure he would turn them down?

Jindal/Rubio 2012: Keep the Dream Alive

Terrie on February 22, 2011 at 8:47 PM

The Herman Cain Train has just began to roll….just wait until it picks up speed, baby. He would destroy Obama.

Will the GOP old guard stand in his way?

alecj on February 22, 2011 at 8:47 PM

But … but … he has such presidential hair!

OhioCoastie on February 22, 2011 at 8:48 PM

If Huck doesn’t run, Pawlenty stands a very good shot at winning IA and to either finish first or second in NH. Dick Armey talked up Pawlenty; look for more people to give the guy a second look.

IR-MN on February 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I love ya AP, but…Come on!

JetBoy on February 22, 2011 at 8:44 PM

AP is right and we don’t want you making any more promises to eat your hat!

Knucklehead on February 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I like Thune in a ho-hum milk toast kinda way. I am really getting excited about Cain. Would love to see Cain debate Obama.

kringeesmom on February 22, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Jesus. You people haven’t seen Palin actually campaign yet.

Some folks round these parts in fo’ a SHOCKA!

victor82 on February 22, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Sounds like the GOP insiders are going to let Palin take a run at this windmill thinking she’ll fail miserably and that will make 2016 their big chance. Of course, that presumes that the will be an election in 2016.

Skandia Recluse on February 22, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Yawn.

SlaveDog on February 22, 2011 at 8:53 PM

AP is right and we don’t want you making any more promises to eat your hat!

Knucklehead on February 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I won’t be doing that again anytime soon.

JetBoy on February 22, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I like Thune in a ho-hum milk toast kinda way.

The milque-toast handsomeness was exactly what put me off. I want a president with heart, balls and hair. In that order, and of any gender. Brains optional, especially after the ‘cerebral’ Obama.

Fortunata on February 22, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Dick Armey and Steve Forbes are just trying to latch onto the Tea Party brand for their own benefit.

Wasn’t impressed with Armey in Congress but love nerdy Steve Forbes (great Treaury or Commerce Secy he would be).

Pawlenty? Oh my………..

We need a CONSERVATIVE fearless nominee that knows what to expect and is willing to BEAT THE CRAP out of the Dems.

TPAW?………not getting that vibe sorry.

PappyD61 on February 22, 2011 at 8:58 PM

I love ya AP, but…Come on!

JetBoy on February 22, 2011 at 8:44 PM

So JB is a “Danielle”?

darwin-t on February 22, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Yep. I’ve been saying that all along. Pawlenty is the “safe” choice. The guy you go with if everyone else’s negatives make them too risky to nominate. Pawlenty served 2 terms, had a decent record, reached across the aisle(he had to with a Democrat legislature), and seems like a very likable dude.

The problem is he’s too bland and uninspiring. The rest of the field would have to implode in order for him to have a shot at the nomination.

Doughboy on February 22, 2011 at 9:07 PM

The Decline heard round the world. (But nobody noticed).

portlandon on February 22, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Who?

rrpjr on February 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM

To beat Obama the Rs need someone with convictions/stones, who can speak without preparation and prompters, and who doesn’t lie. Also, no narcissists.

Schadenfreude on February 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Jesus. You people haven’t seen Palin actually campaign yet.

Some folks round these parts in fo’ a SHOCKA!

victor82 on February 22, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Yup. This is why they’re trying so hard to preempt her. Once she gets going, look out.

rrpjr on February 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I think Palin would be the beneficiary if she were to run. Thune was one of the “conservative alternatives” and the main reason his name was being bandied about was as an anti-Palin of some sort.

ddrintn on February 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM

hmmm no mention of the reason Thune gave himself? a possible Palin candidacy and him not able to defeat her. In fact thune’s words were paraphased “if gov Palin runs I will not.”

the fact that Thune isn’t running could make a serious data point to the fact that the establishment thinks Palin is. Thune couldn’t can any tractions due to Palin being in the news. his entire CPAc speech was a lesson in Palin envy.

but you know we don’t need to mention any of that….

unseen on February 22, 2011 at 9:27 PM

So JB is a “Danielle”?

darwin-t on February 22, 2011 at 9:02 PM

The proper term is “Mental Mitch-et.”

steebo77 on February 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM

So JB is a “Danielle”?

darwin-t on February 22, 2011 at 9:02 PM

The proper term is “Mental Mitch-et.”

steebo77 on February 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM

*sigh*

Jesus. You people haven’t seen Palin actually campaign yet.

Some folks round these parts in fo’ a SHOCKA!

victor82 on February 22, 2011 at 8:52 PM

I thought Palin was Jesus…

*runs*

JetBoy on February 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Awesome…two RINO stiffs out in one day.

james23 on February 22, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Ho hum. I’m going to click on Daffy’s speech again. He makes me laugh.

pugwriter on February 22, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Fortunata on February 22, 2011 at 8:56 PM

We need someone genuinely smart in a conservative way, not a bogus trust-me-I-went-to-Harvard kind of way.

slickwillie2001 on February 22, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Feh

ted c on February 22, 2011 at 9:56 PM

I’ve been more excited to eat cold pizza covered in melted ice cream……

ted c on February 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM

*runs*

JetBoy on February 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM

You need another schtick, nancy-boy. ;)

gryphon202 on February 22, 2011 at 9:59 PM

And 2 hours after you blog, we have less than 35 comments!! LOL

However, Thune served his purpose. He got his name out there for his first run for the Senate, lost by a very tiny margin, then unseated Daschle 2 years later. That was a big win for us.

karenhasfreedom on February 22, 2011 at 10:34 PM

ddrintn on February 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM

The sun was shining today; I think Palin is the beneficiary. It is supposed to be cloudy tomorrow; I think Palin will be the beneficiary. Hell might freeze over the next day; I think Palin would be the beneficiary.

churchill995 on February 22, 2011 at 11:15 PM

What’s with teh creepy pseudo-religious imagery pics? – Inanemergencydial on February 22, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Some photographer had to hustle to get that shot. I wonder if Obama is envious?

SC.Charlie on February 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Whune? That is the questions most voters might just asked if he did run. Where has he been all this time, why hasn’t he been challenging the administration. Sorry, no T-Paw, the nickname alone disqualifies him. I say the Rinos should get Bob Dole to run as their candidate again as all were sure losers.

Africanus on February 23, 2011 at 4:05 PM