Great news: Chicago elects Rahm Emanuel mayor for life

posted at 9:10 pm on February 22, 2011 by Allahpundit

Per the Daley dynasty, Chitown seems to love ruthless, larger-than-life, politically hyperconnected Democrats as mayor. Based on that job description, maybe the only guy in America who could have beaten Rahm is Bill Clinton.

CNN says it’s all over, but the Tribune’s being scrupulously cautious at the moment:

With 81 percent of precincts counted, Emanuel had 54.9 percent to 24.5 percent for Gery Chico.

Emanuel is trying to score more than 50 percent to avoid a runoff election on April 5.

City Clerk Miguel del Valle had 9.4 percent and former U.S. Sen. Carol Moseley Braun was at 8.7 percent…

Despite a tremendous amount of attention on the mayor’s race and a slew of hotly-contested aldermanic races, election officials say turnout could be as low as 40 percent. That’s far less than the 50 percent turnout officials were hoping for on Monday.

Last month, before he was temporarily thrown off the ballot by an appellate court ruling, he was polling at just 44 percent. A few days later, the Illinois Supreme Court handed him a 7-0 victory and all the triumphant free PR that comes with it. Tonight, not only will he avoid the runoff by clearing 50 percent, he might well clear 55. Fantastic.

Exit question: Am I mistaken or did Obama decline to campaign for Rahm in the mayoral race? For most presidents that would be a simple judgment call about not using the power of the office to meddle in local affairs, but of course we know by now that that’s no obstacle to The One.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Chicago, you deserve everything bad that will happen to you. What a bunch of idiots!

Winebabe on February 22, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Feh. Sewer rat. Good going, Chicago.

ddrintn on February 22, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Ever get the feeling the O admin sent him there to cover up something or destroy evidence?

parteagirl on February 22, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Who cares? Chicago is a shithole of Democrat corruption and depravity anyway. They are doomed, no matter who is in charge.

novaculus on February 22, 2011 at 9:13 PM

He’ll fu*k scroom Chicago like he does all other.

Schadenfreude on February 22, 2011 at 9:13 PM

The Democrats control every aspect of what happens in Chicago, and things are so bad that the population is the lowest since 1920.

WisCon on February 22, 2011 at 9:15 PM

I’ll take “Who’ll still be in office in 2013″ for $500, Alex.

rogerb on February 22, 2011 at 9:15 PM

I sympathize with my friends and family there. Chicago is a great city to be from.

RedRedRice on February 22, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Amazing. Just amazing.

RedNewEnglander on February 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Why would Obama stick his neck out when the ball had already cleared the fence? Oh well, “Toute nation a le gouvernement qu’elle merite.” (“Every nation has the government it deserves.”)

cynccook on February 22, 2011 at 9:18 PM

He better enjoy himself while he can.

When the Senate and White House flip in early 2013, he’s going to have a US attorney setting up residence in his colon over the Obama Senate seat and the offer made to Stesak to get out of the race with Specter.

teke184 on February 22, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I think you’re right, but they probably made a gentleman’s deal or something in exchange for some great 2016 Olympics tix.oh wait!!

ted c on February 22, 2011 at 9:18 PM

The scary thing is, The Rahmfather was actually the best available option. Chico is incredibly stupid and a race-baiter, del Valle is corrupt, and Mosely-Braun is incredibly stupid and corrupt (and a racist).

Chicagoans won’t even notice. As long as their alleyways are plowed and they can walk to two different Thai places, they dutifully vote D every time.

playblu on February 22, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Chicago voter…

“I don’t understand why we keep having the same problems year after year?”

Seven Percent Solution on February 22, 2011 at 9:20 PM

playblu on February 22, 2011 at 9:20 PM

gargle, swish, spit and repeat….

ted c on February 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Congrats Chicago, you deserve him! And I mean that.

Apologies to all of the sane Chicagoans out there, my advice: Get out now!

Cookies Mom on February 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Inanemergencydial on February 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I will never step foot in Chicago. Ever.

SouthernGent on February 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Time to discontinue any business and/or entertainment travel to the windy city. That means I’ll have to drop United Airlines in favor of Frontier. No problem. Have a nice day! G’bye!

bannedbyhuffpo on February 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM

this tells you something about Chicago. Nobody who voted for this crook has a moral bone in his body.. Just like the criminals who voted for Obama.

proconstitution on February 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Who cares!

jeanie on February 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Wait, this was only the Democratic primary. He still need to run against a Repub in the general el …. oh

mdenis39 on February 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Are they sure to cal it so early?

How can they possibly have counted all the cemetery ballots by now?

catmman on February 22, 2011 at 9:26 PM

I was supposed to go to a conference in Chicago next year. I’m re-rethinking that trip now.

ted c on February 22, 2011 at 9:26 PM

mdenis39 on February 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM

The Repub’s didn’t even bother putting someone on the ballot.

Knucklehead on February 22, 2011 at 9:27 PM

playblu on February 22, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Agreed, he was the best option. Says a lot about the field. I think Rahm is about to reap a fiscal shiite storm – Daley has seen the books & wanted to get out to keep his legacy untarnished.

My bro is a Chgo fireman – woe unto them. Their union has been very strong for the past 40 – 50 years. I predict they are going to be giving up quite a lot in the next 10 years.

mdenis39 on February 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Rahm will do a great job.
I can just see him in 42 years standing in front of a bullet riddled building talking about how he will be a martyr for Liby…I mean Chicago.

jjshaka on February 22, 2011 at 9:30 PM

No bailouts for Illinois

Asher on February 22, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Chicago = Detroit = Cleveland = Erie = Buffalo = Gary

Democrats have a stranglehold on each one, and it shows.

OhioCoastie on February 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM

What truly scares me is that he was one of the better candidates, at least compared to Braun (who doesn’t even know all the mayors of Chicago from her lifetime). I’m glad to hear he won by bringing together the canine and feline vote, truly a unity coalition.

Chicago got the candidates they deserved.

amazingmets on February 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM

mdenis39 on February 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM

The Chicago Fire Department didn’t unionize until 1982. I was there when it happened and it wasn’t pretty when Fire Department went out on strike.

Knucklehead on February 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Amazing.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I will never step foot in Chicago. Ever.

SouthernGent on February 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM

SouthernGent:I wish,I didn’t,a flight switch,on my way to
Utah,when I was a kid!!:)

canopfor on February 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Feh. Sewer rat. Good going, Chicago.

ddrintn on February 22, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Well now, Chicago has a longstanding appreciation for sewer rats. Going all the way back to the Capone days, at least.

Vyce on February 22, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I really don’t care. Just another corrupt democrat in Chicago.

darwin on February 22, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Rahm is going to destroy/suppress all evidence that implicates Obama in Blago/Rezko, etc.

Man, politics seems to be just getting more and more like the old days of Boss Tweed. Insiders rule and cover each others’ dirt.

Nixon would never have gotten get caught in this environment because Woodward & Bernstein would have been found in the river.

cane_loader on February 22, 2011 at 9:36 PM

From the minute he came back to Chicago, the press annointed him mayor. The voting today was just a formality.

He never should have been on the ballot. He was not a resident for one full year. This is just sickening.

Fallon on February 22, 2011 at 9:37 PM

GarandFan on February 22, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Knucklehead on February 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM

My mistake. they’ve been so strong that I assumed they were union before the strike. Daley Sr caved on their demands and they’ve gotten pretty much what they want since then.

My Dad’s friend crossed the picket line in ’82. Some union guys still hold a grudge 30 yrs later.

mdenis39 on February 22, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Anybody read the twitter feed for @MayorEmmanuel? Funny as hell.

Way more amusing than the real Emmanuel.

SlaveDog on February 22, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Knucklehead on February 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I remember reading how in Detroit the city leaders stripped all the brass fire poles out of the station houses so they could sell them for scrap. I suppose Detroit will serve as a model city for Chicago now.

cynccook on February 22, 2011 at 9:42 PM

This guy is a scandal waiting to happen. So far he’s been cautious because he’s been lower on the totem pole. Now that he has his own fiefdom he will go blow.

Rocks on February 22, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Chicom on the Michigan….Good thing that I am not living there….

hawkman on February 22, 2011 at 9:44 PM

I despise Rahm, he was the Squid candidate and I voted for Gery Chico. The sorry truth, however, is that on the merits he may be the best of the sorry bunch. He’s the only one who even theoretically might take on the unions.

wbcoleman on February 22, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Breaking!!!

Chicago just granted ObamaCare waiver.

darwin on February 22, 2011 at 9:44 PM

mdenis39 on February 22, 2011 at 9:38 PM

My ex was a Chicago cop. He had to stand duty at the empty firehouses. It created a rift between him and his cousin who was a Chicago fireman. The rift stands today.

That strike ruined many lives.

Knucklehead on February 22, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I’ll say it again – Rahm was specifically put up there to cover Obama’s backside.

cane_loader on February 22, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Hey, Rahm’s gonna win. You gotta problem widdat?

slickwillie2001 on February 22, 2011 at 9:46 PM

The Chicago Liberal way,

if they bring a steak knive,

you bring a Fraud Voter ballot!!
(sarc).

canopfor on February 22, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Is this why Obama has been so mysteriously quiet the past few days? Has he been sulking over Rahm’s upcoming win?

MayBee on February 22, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Chicago is too easy to mock.

artist on February 22, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Am I mistaken or did Obama decline to campaign for Rahm in the mayoral race?

Declined? As many losers as that guy has backed in the last couple of years I’d be willing to bet that they are considering calling in an exorcist. Who wants a whiff of the kiss of death around their campaign?

Cindy Munford on February 22, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Am I mistaken or did Obama decline to campaign for Rahm in the mayoral race?

Meeshell came into Chicago to campaign for the ballerina.

Knucklehead on February 22, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Chicago…what a country.

So, now that Tiny Dancer is in charge, I am sure that all the problems of crime and corruption, lousy schools, even worse public hospitals, pot-hole filled roads, blocks and blocks of third world housing, government incompetence, high-end kick backs and unions out of control running the show will end. Thank heaven.

coldwarrior on February 22, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Meh. Chicago’s a cesspit that’s barely one rung above pretty much any major metropolitan city in a 3rd world country. Who cares. They deserve eachother.

FlatFoot on February 22, 2011 at 9:58 PM

playblu on February 22, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Wow, that’s quite a field to draw from. Thugs to idiots to racists, they got it covered!

People get the government they deserve. When Chicago heads for the bankruptcy courts, I’m sure all the employee unions will join forces to help the city out. continue feeding off the corpse.

GarandFan on February 22, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Sorry, couldn’t help that!

2ipa on February 22, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Obama installs his man as mayor of the most politically corrupt city in America, head of the most politically corrupt machine — the same city Obama just happens to be moving his campaign to — of COURSE Obama didnt campaign. He wants to pretend he has no self interest in the matter.

American Elephant on February 22, 2011 at 10:00 PM

blocks of third world housing,
coldwarrior on February 22, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Those are all gone. Daddy Daley built them, Junior Daley tore them down and sold the property to high end developers.

The former residents of those high rises all fled to the south suburbs, which has now become a cesspool and are my neighbors.

Knucklehead on February 22, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Ahhh..I see a movie in the works. Escape from New York, Escape from LA, now we gotta have an Escape from Chicago move…it’ll make a boxed set.

Skandia Recluse on February 22, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Knucklehead on February 22, 2011 at 10:02 PM

My nephew is getting ready to graduate from IIT, south end of town, and much of the area is still not up to Third World standards.

But, it is Chicago…hasn’t been properly governed since the fire.

coldwarrior on February 22, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Skandia Recluse on February 22, 2011 at 10:06 PM

What Chicago needs is a community organizer.

coldwarrior on February 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM

playblu on February 22, 2011 at 9:20 PM

This is the sad, sad truth.

visions on February 22, 2011 at 10:10 PM

But, it is Chicago…hasn’t been properly governed since the fire.

coldwarrior on February 22, 2011 at 10:08 PM

All those Robert Taylor homes around IIT are gone with fancy new townhouses being built. I worked at IIT many years ago when it wasn’t safe to walk from your car to the school.

Knucklehead on February 22, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Strangely, my “sympathy meter” is not moving at this time.

You made it, lie it it.

Hog Wild on February 22, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Would it really matter who won? Chicago is a cesspool of corruption with or without the ballerina.

angryed on February 22, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Why on Earth would Obama campaign for Rahm? Given Obama’s miserable record when punching below his Office’s weight class, why would Rahm even want him to?

Chicago is the one city in America where Democrats have could fix an election to return any result they want – and the one city where they’d never have to. The City of Broad Shoulders takes perverse pride in being run by criminals.

HitNRun on February 22, 2011 at 10:17 PM

mdenis39 on February 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM

You think the ballerina will take on the unions? Come on.

angryed on February 22, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Pretty much shows the sorry state of Chicago if this is the best they can elect.

Also shows why federal entitlements will kill this country; if it weren’t for those in Chicago who believe that federal handouts are their birthright, dishonest evil men like Dead Fish Emmanuel would never be elected dog catcher, much less mayor.

AZfederalist on February 22, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Knucklehead on February 22, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Mine too. I walk to the end of my driveway, and in the street directly in front are ALWAYS empty booze bottles and used rubbers.
Sickening!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 22, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I sympathize with my friends and family there. Chicago is a great city to be from leave.

RedRedRice on February 22, 2011 at 9:15 PM

FIFY

Mini-14 on February 22, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Sickening!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 22, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Twerp, sounds like you are missing some partays!!!

karenhasfreedom on February 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I’m certain Boeing is pleased to have relocated their corporate offices to 100 North Riverside. How’s that for culture?

ericdijon on February 22, 2011 at 10:31 PM

I wonder … what the heck is wrong with Chicagoans?

CCRWM on February 22, 2011 at 10:36 PM

So, -Bammie doesn’t have to worry about the electoral votes from the state of Illinois in 2012.

slickwillie2001 on February 22, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Twerp, sounds like you are missing some partays!!!

karenhasfreedom on February 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Hookers abound in my ‘hood.
We’re moving to what I’m certain will be a better area.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 22, 2011 at 10:38 PM

I wonder … what the heck is wrong with Chicagoans?

CCRWM on February 22, 2011 at 10:36 PM

What’s wrong is that they’re Chicagoans as opposed to something resembling a thinking being.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 22, 2011 at 10:39 PM

What Chicago needs is a community organizer.

coldwarrior on February 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM

I think I know where one is that we’d all be better off without!

2ipa on February 22, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Seriously. It couldn’t be worse if you had John Gotti for your mayor.

Good effort Chicago!!!

BigWyo on February 22, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I’ve heard educated people in Illinois complain about Daley’s corruption then admire him for the flowers planted around the city and the parks. Another was chortling over the Meigs Field issue and how you have to give Daley credit, he gets things done. Yeah, lets not seriously consider the rule of law etc.

Now imagine the less educated who only get what the media says.

aikidoka on February 22, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I feel bad for the folks who live there.

I lived in Chi in the early ’70s; came to town with everything I owned packed all over a ’62 Plymouth, and left town 3 years later with a backpack and a guitar case, feeling like I’d escaped with my life.

I’ve rarely encountered a more cynical population. Even among schoolchildren, the default approach to any and all problems was “I know a guy who knows a guy.” Disconcerting, to say the least. The fact that I was a small town kid who had already had a 7-year sojourn around Texas that included losing my daughter when my wife left me, having already escaped an abusive birth family, didn’t prepare me for what was like an Eastern European Rust Belt city.

It’s worth it, by the way, to do a little research on Chicago’s history. One thing you’ll discover is that there hasn’t been a Republican mayor since the 1920s (really,) when Big Bill Thompson was put into office for the second time by Al Capone himself. Labels like Republican and Democrat mean exactly nothing in Cook county; it’s run by The Combine, at a profit.

When Republican Governor George Ryan was imprisoned in 2007 because of rampant corruption, the head of the effort to get him out of jail was the execrable Democrat Dick Durbin. As far as I can see, Cook county has been a morass of criminality in government since the 1880s, and you can be sure Rahm knows all the right phone numbers.

Poor Chicago.

warbaby on February 22, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Rahm refused to take a congratulatory phone call from Pres. Obama. He said that he had no time to talk to that F**King piker. “I’m the mayor of Chicago damn it, who is this Obama guy?”

simkeith on February 22, 2011 at 11:03 PM

If Al Capone went in to politics instead of just buying his power and influence, his great grandson would now be mayor. but as Rahm when into politics his grandson will be mayor in 50 years.

tjexcite on February 22, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Poor Chicago.

warbaby on February 22, 2011 at 11:02 PM

It looks very much like we’re going to be getting out of Cook County/ Illinois.
I won’t miss it.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 22, 2011 at 11:11 PM

I wonder … what the heck is wrong with Chicagoans?

CCRWM on February 22, 2011 at 10:36 PM

They miss Capone.

SagebrushPuppet on February 22, 2011 at 11:22 PM

mdenis39 on February 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Knucklehead on February 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I was on the Police Department at the time (1980). There had been bad blood between the two for years (Old Man Daley, Richard I, was good friends with Quinn the Fire Commissioner and therefore treated CFD like the first-born and CPD like the red-headed step-child). I always thought they should have PATCO’ed there asses for that stunt. Well, they’re both screwed now.

SaintGeorgeGentile on February 22, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Just a quick point – it wasn’t a Democrat primary, Chicago elections are technically non-partisan. They have general primaries where if no one gets 50% it goes to a runoff between #1 and #2.
Sadly enough, Rahm was the most conservative guy on the ballot. Which is why the city is ultimately screwed, but hey. Silver linings.

galenrox on February 22, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Kenite…

True_King on February 22, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Now imagine the less educated who only get what the media says.

aikidoka on February 22, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I know, I know. The old man is the same way. Chicagoan all his life (except the Navy 48-52)’til we moved to the burbs in 62. Blah, blah, blah….Chicago is so great….blah, blah blah..

….and we have been Republican voters since Nixon, that I know of. Rumor has it, he voted Goldwater …..unconfirmed, of course. I’ll have to ask ma one of these days.

Then they bitch about Chicago politics. I shake my head and walk away.

98ZJUSMC on February 22, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Once again, all the blacks on the south side voted for their master.

Hummer53 on February 22, 2011 at 11:29 PM

I thought I saw one Rahm tv spot where he was talking about the unions needing to make sacrifices too-

the girls were a little surprised when I walked out of the room laughing and talking about a cow ballerina jumping over the moon.

Would love to see Rahm serve the unions a fish but I ain’t holding my breath.

journeyintothewhirlwind on February 22, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Kenite…

True_King on February 22, 2011 at 11:26 PM

I just googled it-and what does that have to do with anything?
I know YOU would never even try to even hint at an anti-Jewish comment.
Of course you would.
Btw:Rahm’s a reformed Jew and a leftist.
My parents were/are also reformed Jews-and conservatives.
So. What.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 22, 2011 at 11:44 PM

They miss Capone.

SagebrushPuppet on February 22, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Capone had a hang-out in my suburb during Prohibition.
This area was MAJOR mob territory until a local mob chieftain got put away in the early 1990′s.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 22, 2011 at 11:46 PM

SaintGeorgeGentile on February 22, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Yes to the firings. Every person in the city of Chicago held their breaths during the coldest part of the year when deadly fires are always rampant.

Knucklehead on February 22, 2011 at 11:56 PM

I see that the dead voters are still alive and well in Chicago.

swash_plate on February 22, 2011 at 11:59 PM

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

mojo on February 23, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Civics 101.

If you own the judges there’s no need to bribe the other politicians.

viking01 on February 23, 2011 at 12:23 AM

There are some people you just can’t help. Just remember – Elections have consequences.

tommer74 on February 23, 2011 at 1:01 AM