Quotes of the day

posted at 10:48 pm on February 21, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Former presidents Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush will serve as honorary chairmen of a new center at the University of Arizona that will focus on civility in political debate, university officials will announce Monday…

“Former Supreme Court justice Sandra Day O’Connor and former Senate majority leader Thomas A. Daschle (D-S.D.) will serve as honorary co-chairmen. Board members will include former secretary of state Madeleine K. Albright; Kenneth M. Duberstein, chief of staff to President Ronald Reagan; Fox News anchor Greta Van Susteren; Trey Grayson, director of Harvard University’s Institute of Politics; and former representative Jim Kolbe (R-Ariz.)…

“Clinton said in a statement that the new institute ‘can elevate the tone of dialogue in our country.’”

***
“Despite their differences in beliefs Huckabee’s new book makes it clear from the very first page that it is not a book about hating Obama. The Republican takes on his fellow GOP members for accusing Obama of being a Marxist or a Muslim – and I asked Huckabee why Speaker Boehner or Rep. Bachmann would not clearly state that Obama is a Christian and citizen of the United States?

“‘You know, I don’t know why it’s hard,’ Huckabee said.

“‘I just don’t think it’s completely necessary for us to delve into such extraneous matters. And I’ll tell you, the idea that he’s not a citizen – you know why that’s nonsense? Because if there was a shred of truth to it, Hillary Clinton and her wonderful investigative opposition research team would have found it and would have used it,’ he told me. ‘And for Republicans to even be bringing it up, I think it’s a waste of energy and time. Let’s focus on the issues with which we have disagreement, not on really the extraneous personal things that are immaterial.’”

***
“Last Tuesday, hundreds of protesters shut down the road in front of Gov. Walker’s family home in Wauwatosa, Wis. Across the state in Madison, a crowd of 20,000—many of them teachers skipping school—gathered at the Capitol. Signs compared Mr. Walker to Egyptian dictator Hosni Mubarak, Joseph Stalin and Benito Mussolini. Still others accused him of ‘terrorism’ and ‘rape.’ One sign had a photo of the governor in crosshairs: ‘Don’t Retreat, Reload.’

“Elected officials joined the protests—and the slurs. In a television interview on the sidelines of the demonstration, state Sen. Lena Taylor compared Mr. Walker to Adolf Hitler…

“In an interview with a Milwaukee television station last week the president acknowledged that he hadn’t followed the legislation in Wisconsin closely, but he characterized it as sounding like ‘an assault on unions.’ He made no mention of teachers violating the law in a de facto strike. He didn’t say a word about the incendiary rhetoric or the tactic of marching on lawmakers’ homes. And he said nothing about the missing state legislators and their antidemocratic walkout.

“In Tucson, the president called on Americans to honor the victims with a ‘more civil and honest public discourse’ that would ‘help us face up to the challenges of our nation in a way that would make them proud.’ Perhaps it’s unfair to expect him to answer for the offensive language and actions of Wisconsin’s protesters, though Joe Kiriaki is an Obama donor and Lena Taylor was an Obama superdelegate to the Democratic National Convention. But given his words just a month ago, is it too much to ask him to emphasize now that he meant what he said?”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Kumbayah Blah blah blah.

Hey, to paraphrase Chris Christi: You are civil with me, then I’ll be civil with you. But when you get rough with me, I’ll return your incivility with some of my own. That’s just the way we do things here in New Jersey.

petefrt on February 22, 2011 at 7:02 AM

Poor DaveS

CWforFreedom on February 22, 2011 at 7:14 AM

I don’t like the question itself. It’s disingenuous. Really, it’s a question to the the person, “Are you a birther?”
Just ask the question forthrightly. They’ll answer it. Even Maher doesn’t believe that Obama is really a Christian, so the answer they give, which is legitimate to me, is: “I take people at their word.”

I do, too. Frankly, I don’t really care. But the real issue is that they aren’t sitting around worrying if Obama is exaggerating for political reasons. It’s not their business with him.

And it’s a stupid question. There will always be birthers. There will always be those who don’t believe Trig is really Sarah’s baby, and there will always be Truthers.

That’s just how it works in conspiracy thinking world.

The bigger real question? Why do we have such a flood of cynics challenging everything along political partisan lines.

These days it doesn’t matter if the truth is as plain as can be, if it comes from the “other” guy, then it’s likely that 50% won’t believe him or her, no matter what.

We’ve become irrational.

AnninCA on February 22, 2011 at 7:21 AM

I think Medved just has another approach to attacking the left..Whether it will work remains to be seen!..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Hey, good thinking, attack the left by attacking the right. Why didn’t John Mccain think of that?

toongoon on February 22, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Bush 41 had better be careful. He runs the risk of destroying what little legacy he has left and joining Jimmy Carter as one of the worst presidents. Folks are beginning to see and understand how the Bush dynasty and their transnational progressive ways have done more to hurt the GOP and Conservative Movement than Richard Nixon could have ever thought about doing. DD

Darvin Dowdy on February 22, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Same old same old.

The conclusion after months of “debate” will be Republicans must be bipartisan and learn to compromise when they’re in power and democrats can call us Nazi’s and well dressed unAmerican shills for Big ______ (fill in the blank) while shoving socialist power grabs down our throat when they’re in power.

Democrats: Party of the evil, corrupt, radical and insane.

Oh … “Republicans just want to kill grandma and the children!” will be deemed “civil” when used by democrats.

darwin on February 22, 2011 at 7:37 AM

The good news is that MM kept registration open long enuf for me to join. Now, I’m just waiting on that ShamWOW that Dire said we all would get for joining…

Gohawgs on February 22, 2011 at 2:45 AM

I. Can’t. Believe. I. Missed. MM’s. Open. Registration.

I checked her site in between my classes yesterday (homeschoolers don’t take President’s Day off! well, some do, but we didn’t.) and I saw “Open Thread.” *shakes head*

I’ll have to wait for the next one in three years or so.
Ah well. Glad for you Gohawgs.

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2011 at 7:43 AM

morning OC…getting any warmer your way?

cmsinaz on February 22, 2011 at 6:28 AM

14 degrees. snow this week.

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2011 at 7:43 AM

Bummer. It was like a HA reunion over there with all of us registering.

OmahaConservative on February 22, 2011 at 7:47 AM

OmahaConservative on February 22, 2011 at 7:47 AM

brrrrrr….

you’ve got a friend in AZ

cmsinaz on February 22, 2011 at 7:50 AM

cmsinaz on February 22, 2011 at 7:50 AM

With a church I could even attend.

OmahaConservative on February 22, 2011 at 7:52 AM

OmahaConservative on February 22, 2011 at 7:52 AM

yes indeedy :)

cmsinaz on February 22, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Bummer. It was like a HA reunion over there with all of us registering.
OmahaConservative on February 22, 2011 at 7:47 AM

*sniffles* Glad you caught it. She rarely opens registration anymore. I’m sure you’ll have with all the trolls who snuck in. hee, hee

/grabs another Kleenex

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Not to complain or anything, but Vladimir Lenin and Che Guevara were also some pretty infamous ‘Progessives’ from Marxism’s storied past.

Example, this is how good Old Vlad felt about Liberty:

It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
Vladimir Lenin

Chip on February 22, 2011 at 7:59 AM

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2011 at 7:58 AM

glad you are a part of the HA family :)

cmsinaz on February 22, 2011 at 8:00 AM

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Been waiting a looooooong time to get in.

OmahaConservative on February 22, 2011 at 8:00 AM

Medved has become irrelevant much like David Brooks and Frum have. I haven’t heard anything from him in years and then he pops off about other conservatives and gets a little attention from someone.

Yawn.

Sporty1946 on February 22, 2011 at 8:04 AM

The entires discussion over civility is interesting to me, since it’s not the language or the iconic images that matter. Obviously, Hitler is a favorite icon for “I don’t like what he’s doing.” It never was “evidence” that the Teapartiers were filled with some kind of dangerous hate or racism. I can’t think of a more civil bunch than we’ve seen in WI. They scream, they yell, but if you watch? They don’t try to stir up drama with the other side.

It’s pure expression.

The civility issue is more about the inability to listen at all to the other side. It used to be good if you recognized the issues and then, decided which issue held more priority and why you made your decision. Not today. Today, if someone says anything polite about the other side, it upsets the applecart.

That’s irrational to me. I personally don’t want to join either side with those rules. I can vote and decide without having to join some ideological cult, whether it’s right or left.

AnninCA on February 22, 2011 at 8:11 AM

And who, exactly, is going to promulgate etiquette from that group?

How to properly address people, show kindness and respect so as to reflect better on your character? I see a bunch of politicians and media folks, but these aren’t the pinnacle of civilization in the way of ‘civility’. Pretty much at the other end of the spectrum, really. Where is the modern day Miss Manners? Or someone totally A-R on protocol so that they can whip that leading bunch into shape so they can live without handlers and still handle themselves?

Civility is a two-way street, and getting a Left/Right divide is not the entirety of the culture nor even the mass of it. This is yet another PC attempt to force ‘civility’ upon those you don’t like and never, ever, apply it to yourself or those you do like.

Get a bunch of military and diplomatic protocol officers and you can start to hit to the heart of civility: you being civilized in how you speak and address others. Do that and the politics will get better, not worse, when ALL adhere to the SAME set of civil standards. That bunch? No thanks. Getting civility into politics doesn’t start with politics nor the media, but with individuals creating a culture… that fine group doesn’t know how to do that.

ajacksonian on February 22, 2011 at 8:21 AM

That CNN clip is as painful to watch as was Hannity’s interview last night with Scott Brown.

ProudPalinFan on February 22, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Janeane Garafalo is probably their Social Secretary.

kingsjester on February 22, 2011 at 8:29 AM

We’ve become irrational.

AnninCA on February 22, 2011 at 7:21 AM

No Ann, the Progressives in Libtardia have, for 100+ years, been working towards the “Perfect Storm” we had in 2008. The American people sat around complacently expecting the ‘Gubmint‘ to the right thing. Well the gubmint, and Academia have been slowly invaded by progressives, self appointed do-gooders and malcontents for decades. The fact that ‘Public Servant’ are allowed to unionize is an abomination. They work for at the pleasure of the tax-payers, especially those that don’t work in the ‘public sector’. When was the last time you saw a ‘public servant’ get fired for screwing up or just not doing the job they are being paid to do. Have you been to a gubmint agency lately and get the impression that they aren’t there to serve you, you exist to justify their continued employment. You are just an annoyance that has to be tolerated. not all gubmint employees are the same, but most are.

The reason we are irrational is because after ‘The Perfect Storm’ election of 2008, the Progressives and their supporters in the MSM felt it was time to take the complacent sheeples and get them into the collective. The problem was a good number of the ‘sheeples’ were, in fact, thinking beings and woke up to an agenda that has gotten more and more animated and vitriolic. These thinking beings decided that the giant step to the left wasn’t something they were ready for, and decided to push back. The push back enraged the left and upped the volume to the level you see and hear today.

Irrational….I don’t think so. The left is certainly irrational, because they have no clue why someone wouldn’t gladly accept being taken care of and provided for if they would just embrace the COLLECTIVE.

I’m not irrational, but I’ll be damned if I am going to go down willingly. I am 63 years old and I am thoroughly ashamed of myself and my generation for allowing the political aristocracy and hustlers to enslave my children, grandchildren and probably great-grandchildren, just so they can enrich themselves.

One-hundred fifty years ago there was a war fought over ending the forcing of one sector of society to labor for another sector of society…it was called SLAVERY! Are the tax-payers at the same precipice again?

belad on February 22, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Sporty1946 on February 22, 2011 at 8:04 AM

A+, especially Brooks and Frum!

belad on February 22, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Problem is kooky lefties view civility a little differently, if you completely agree with them you are civil, if you disagree even slightly you are a racist, hater, gun & bible clinging, H!tler!!!!!!

Alden Pyle on February 22, 2011 at 8:40 AM

You know I’ve been thinking about this whole “civility” thingy and was wondering…..

should “HOT” air change it’s name something less, you know, agressive sounding?

Maybe “WARM AIR” or “FRESH BREEZES”?

Something less threatening?

Just thought I’d mention it before it becomes mandated by the Internet police (‘OFFENSIVE’ internet site names are to be restricted in title and naming licenses, etc.)

PappyD61 on February 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM

And that is why I am against Huckabee. You can dismiss Muslim claims, although Obama definitely has a soft spot in his heart for Islam. You can dismiss the birth certificate claims because Hillary never brought it up. But there is no doubt to anyone who knows socialism, communism, etc. that Obama is a Marxist!

jeffn21 on February 22, 2011 at 9:05 AM

An ogre in Armani is still an ogre. This center for civility is just another way to attack Republicans in general and conservatives specifically from behind some cloak of credibility. The walls are cumbling and this is the mortar they use to reinforce them?

SKYFOX on February 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM

More govt jobs = civility police. Why is Clinton getting involved with this? Has he finished stealing all the money from Haiti?

Kissmygrits on February 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Medved is an idiot. How can anyone look at his policies over the past 2 years and see him keep trying more of the same thing and not believe he is doing it on purpose.

jeffn21 on February 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Is Obooba a Christian?

When, where, and by whom was he baptized?

Simple question.

If he has sequestered his baptismal certificate, well, you know what that means…

Akzed on February 22, 2011 at 9:12 AM

To paraphrase Jesus, Moderates make me want to vomit.
(see Rev. 3:15)

pugwriter on February 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM

It’s nice to know that if you folks aren’t nice, I can report you to Bill Clinton. Mr. Clinton is the paragon of civility (to your face anyways). Perhaps the first case they will take up is Sarah Palin?

kringeesmom on February 22, 2011 at 9:37 AM

As for Medved, he is an old College lefty who used to Pal around with Hillary in his youth. He might have had an awakening in his adult years, however you can take a person out of liberalism but you can’t take the liberalism out of the person.

Medved’s tie dyed soul is oozing out.

portlandon on February 21, 2011 at 11:14 PM

I’m a regular listener to Medved-despite meeting him inperson several times and finding him to be unpleasant-and he’s conservative-very conservative. I prefer him to Rush(more of a radio personality thing than ideology thing) but if he shills for Romney or Huck ONE MORE TIME I’m gonna break my freakin’ walkman! ***

First of all, Medved is NOT a conservative; he just plays at being one. Secondly, if you listen to him, he talks to his callers as if they were second graders, and he is the almighty know everything professor.

Lastly, when I hear the name Medved mentioned I automatically think of a great line in one of the old Bond movies – “Never trust a short man; they are always trying to prove how tall they are”.

Amjean on February 22, 2011 at 9:51 AM

toongoon on February 22, 2011 at 7:28 AM

LOL!..You got me there..:)

Dire Straits on February 22, 2011 at 10:06 AM

And that is why I am against Huckabee. …

jeffn21 on February 22, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Huckabee is a politician. The most common trait of professional politicians is what?….LYING! Politicians are consummate liars and Huckabee is no exception. With that in mind, when did the Huckster begin his career in lying? Was it before he was in the pulpit or did he develop it while he was in the pulpit and that is why he went into professional politics?

I don’t like Huckabee because I don’t trust him to be honest, no matter what he says!

belad on February 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM

jeffn21 on February 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Why would he want to destroy the country?

Is that good for A) his legacy, B) his re-election, C) his ideology’s credibility or D) his party?

The answer to all 4 is no.

He’s doing it because he’s WRONG ON POLICY (policy that he believes is right) – he’s not doing it because he’s eeeevil.

Good Lt on February 22, 2011 at 10:58 AM

glad you are a part of the HA family :)
cmsinaz on February 22, 2011 at 8:00 AM

Aw, thanks. (just saw your comment) Same here. :-)

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Are we paying for this?

ultracon on February 22, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Is Medved bucking to be the next Michael Smerconish?

wraithby on February 22, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Where are the conservatives in this post? Not one I can identify. medved isn’t a conservative. Anyone who listens to his show would know that. A conservative questions him and he gets nasty, ron reagan goes on his show and medved says he’s in love with his book. None of those people on that new civility board are conservatives.

peacenprosperity on February 22, 2011 at 2:00 PM