Palin to Wisconsin: Do not let unions bully you

posted at 10:05 am on February 19, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Sarah Palin offered advice to Wisconsin voters and union members from her Facebook platform late last night, urging people to stand up to union bullying.  Palin also addressed part of her message to her “union brothers and sisters,” reminding them that Palin comes from a family of educators.  She warns them that the entrenched position of the union will cost thousands of teachers their jobs, as the money runs out in Madison:

Here we are still struggling to get out of a deep recession and coping with high unemployment, record deficits, rapidly rising food prices, and a host of other economic problems; and Wisconsin union bosses want union members out in the streets demanding that taxpayers foot the bill for unsustainablebenefits packages. I am a friend to hard working union members and to teachers. I come from a family of teachers; my grandparents, parents, brother, sister, aunt, and other relatives worked, or still work, in education. My own children attend public schools. I greatly admire good teachers and will always speak up in defense of the teaching profession. But Wisconsin teacher unions do themselves no favor by closing down classrooms and abandoning children’s needs in protest against the sort of belt-tightening that people everywhere are going through. Union brothers and sisters: this is the wrong fight at the wrong time. Solidarity doesn’t mean making Wisconsin taxpayers pay for benefits that are not sustainable and affordable at a time when many of these taxpayers struggle to hold on to their own jobs and homes. Real solidarity means everyone being willing to sacrifice and carry our share of the burden. It does no one any favors to dismiss the sacrifices others have already had to make—in wage cuts, unpaid vacations, and even job losses—to weather our economic storm.

Hard working, patriotic, and selfless union brothers and sisters: please don’t be taken in by the union bosses. At the end of the day, they’re not fighting for your pension or health care plan or even for the sustainability of Wisconsin’s education budget. They’re fighting to protect their own powerful privileges and their own political clout. The agenda for too many union bosses is a big government agenda that only serves the union bosses themselves – not union members, not union families, and certainly not the larger community. Everybody else is just there to foot the bill; and if that bill eventually takes the form of thousands of teachers and other public sector workers losing their jobs because the state of Wisconsin can no longer afford to keep them on the payroll, that’s a risk the union bosses are willing to take as long as their positions are secure. Union brothers and sisters: you are better than this and you deserve better. Don’t be led astray.

I agree with Palin that for the rank and file of the union, this is the wrong fight at the wrong time, but for both unions and reformers, it could hardly be a better time to have this fight.  Wisconsin is a pretty good place to have it as well.  Democrats lost control of Madison in any part of government, as voters rejected the business as usual that Democrats represented.   Having this fight in the cradle of progressivism makes a lot more sense, as Wisconsin voters finally came to realize the bankrupt policies and practices that progressivism demands — high government cost, sclerotic bureaucracies, and a devolution of power away from voters to union bosses that want to control both.

In another sense, though, the place is the least relevant part of this fight.  Given the disaster that union contracts and especially pension plans have become in most states, we can expect to see this fight take place everywhere in the nation, including on the federal level.  Unions have a conundrum in this crisis as well; the more they flex their muscles to maintain their status quo and block the serious downsizing that most people want government to conduct, the more it will expose their grip on politicians and make it even more urgent to dismantle their grip on power.

We have finally come in Madison to the basic question: will voters control government and public policy, or will the unions?  Don’t kid yourselves into thinking the unions don’t understand that, either.  They know exactly what’s at stake in the Battle of Mad Town, and that’s why they’re throwing everything they have into winning it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 8 9 10

I have also noticed that my very liberal co-workers & fellow union members have been very silent on this issue.
And I have not even brought it up.

Badger40 on February 20, 2011 at 12:27 PM

When you’ve lost Joel Klein…

gryphon202 on February 20, 2011 at 12:32 PM

link

unseen on February 20, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Thanks for the link. Damn that woman is sharp and damn her legs are fine.

fossten on February 20, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Thanks for the link. Damn that woman is sharp and damn her legs are fine.

fossten on February 20, 2011 at 12:33 PM

That’s why the Palin detractors don’t take you seriously.

/snarkandsarc

gryphon202 on February 20, 2011 at 12:35 PM

MUST WATCH TV> PALIN destroyds in this interview. Talks about SS, medicare, debt ceiling, Obama’s budget, and how the media is failing. and that is all in the first 10 minutes…….

unseen on February 20, 2011 at 12:36 PM

hawkdriver on February 20, 2011 at 12:28 PM

And such a windbag!!!!!

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2011 at 12:39 PM

That’s why the Palin detractors don’t take you seriously.

/snarkandsarc

gryphon202 on February 20, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I calls ‘em as I sees ‘em. She’s got a handle on the issues and she’s good to look at. ;)

fossten on February 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Rainsford on February 20, 2011 at 4:40 AM

Never in the history of Hot Air has one poster in one thread used so many words to say so little.

NoNails on February 20, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I didn’t repost the entire comment because it was filled with arrogance. Having a degree as you claim does not entitle you to make broad sweeping judgements about anyone. I am a former teacher and I am embarrassed by your tone and the fact that you feel entitled to special treatment. By special treatment I refer to tenure and exemption from the trials of the real world via wages and benefits. Your obvious disdain for the very people who pay your salary makes it more than likely that you are what some people perceive…a teacher who only cares about himself.

Deanna on February 20, 2011 at 10:20 AM

I was referring to a few people specifically-please take the time and look up what was being said some pages back in order to understand my comments if you choose to comment on this at all. You came in later on in the discussion and may have missed some of the insults directed towards another member, for example:

Rainsford on February 19, 2011 at 8:25 PM

You’re just a bit*ch. You pretend you are so smart yet you and i know you’re just another poser.

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 12:46 PM

How in the Hell did this thread get to 800 comments?

portlandon on February 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Rain drops kept falling on our heads…

Yoop on February 20, 2011 at 12:51 PM

fossten on February 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM

understatement on both counts.

unseen on February 20, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Just mad that I called you out? How dare you presume I sit at the teat of gubmint. I work hard, and spent a large part of my working life rooting out insurance fraud. Now I take care of a home a garden, a whole bunch of clucking hens and an 8 year old that I teach myself. I could not possibly be ignorant…I attended public shcool.

kringeesmom on February 20, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I wasn’t even thinking of you when I wrote that. But I found it curious that you took it personally.

I’ve had enough of the “I agree with you but…” garbage from the libtards. When private-sector unions negotiate with a corporation, I have the choice to buy or not buy that corporation’s product. When teachers’ unions negotiate, not only do I have to pay for the product, I am obligated by law to either use that product or pay for a different product (at a private school) in addition to paying for the product I don’t use.

Who negotiates on behalf of the taxpayers? NO ONE. That is why I am against public-sector unions. I am against closed-shop simply because it is an affront to the spirit of freedom in which America was founded.

I hope Scott Walker wins this battle, and I hope the union bosses feel the sting!

gryphon202 on February 20, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Yeah, and I’m a taxpayer, too. And I’ve already posted that I’m against closed-shop. I’m against some union leaderships and their tactics, SEIU in particular. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to say that all or even most rank and file members of other unions are like that.

Actually, part of me is for closing down every school out there and having us parents see to our own kids education; there’s private schools, home schooling, and computer virtual schools. It’s not worth the whining from those who for some reason or another hate educators and having thousands of adults in classrooms across the country fighting every day just to keep kids in order long enough so that they can maybe learn something. Heck, let’s close down the colleges, too-nothing but breeding grounds for Communists.

I’ve commented on similar threads here over the years and much of it comes down to bashing public school teachers, whereas private school teachers are exempt (I was one once, will the fire-eaters like me now? :-)

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Sounds good. When do we start?

darwin on February 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago:
I am just curious on your position regarding these pensions & benefits & tenure.
Now I am a HS science teacher with an undergrad geology degree.
I teach in a very smal rural town.
I also teach a dual-credit college course through the nearest 4 yr college for extra $$.
I am also a union member (please see my above post).
Here in ND our union is getting upset bcs there are 2 HBs that are challenging the status quo of a protected retirement.
I think tenure & protected retirement status are elitist, govt-leech positions to take.
Sure, who wouldn’t love these things.
But as you may note from my above post, I am doing well, though I’m not rolling in the dough from being employed as a teacher.
We need, as teachers & professors, to be brutally honest about the finances of our profession.
It is a great gig.
WTH is there ever to be upset about?
And if we are not protected in our retirement (bcs who really is?) or our employment (again, who really is in the private sector?), why is that so bad?
Bcs by acting as if we are deserving of more than others, we are nothing but scum sucking degenerates, IMHO.
I want to see the Feds OUT of public education.
Once that occurs, you will find a more equitable & FAIR climate regarding teaching in general.
Communities that want good teachers & administrators will make sure they stay competitive by financial packages etc.
We both know that not everyone can teach. And many that do teach, often are people who suck at it.
The good ones often get marginalized & overlooked bcs of the union’s activities.
I don’t mind GOOD unions, but there aren’t very many.
My LOCAL education asscn. is a good union.
And even the State union is OK.
But the NEA is nothing but arm twisting thugs.
We have to do better.

Badger40 on February 20, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Yeah, I’m a member because I like the people in my local also. I don’t even read the NEA and AFT mags anymore because I got sick of their Democrat campaigning and their Liberal leanings. I emailed NEA a year or so ago when I found out they had donated money to ACORN…I blew a gasket on that one. I also complained at a local meeting about us having to give our regional AFL-CIO some of our money. I asked what has the AFL-CIO ever done for us? No answer. Then last summer a state rep was going on about the upcoming state elections and they were recommending Democrats and I raised my hand and asked him if our state union was an adjunct of the Democratic Party? He was taken aback, but handled it nicely.

Some would say, “Why support them, then?” Well, I don’t agree with everything the Republican Party does, either, but I’m not going to quit them. On the other hand I reserve the right to vote Democrat or Independent if I choose to.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I don’t think it is the teachers as much as the overall direction of teaching. Schools have taken on too much and parents have abdicated too much putting students in a no win situation. If both would work on doing their real jobs well, the world would be a better place.

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Sounds good. When do we start?

darwin on February 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I’m convinced that our society is collapsing, so maybe sooner than you think.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I’m not a teacher basher. I’m a union basher. Private school teachers sign contracts too, but they are much easier to get rid of if their superiors don’t feel the teachers are doing their job. If that’s a coincidence, it’s one helluva coincidence.

gryphon202 on February 20, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I’m convinced that our society is collapsing, so maybe sooner than you think.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Wonderful. Well, in the meantime perhaps schools should teach the safe use of firearms to prepare our youngsters for the coming apocalypse.

Oh … and urban survival. Today class, we’ll learn some tasty recipes for rat and pigeon.

darwin on February 20, 2011 at 1:28 PM

darwin on February 20, 2011 at 1:28

Safe use of firearms? Actually, that’s a great idea!

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011

You’re a LIAR. So get off your high horse. You tried to tell me you did not benefit from unions yet later you admitted you belong to a union. Your motives and your character are very suspect.

CWforFreedom on February 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I’m convinced that our society is collapsing, so maybe sooner than you think.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Liars don’t help.

CWforFreedom on February 20, 2011 at 2:04 PM

After reviewing this thread, I have to fix this:

Never in the history of Hot Air the internet has one poster in one thread used so many words to say so little.

NoNails on February 20, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Like nothing I’ve seen before.

JannyMae on February 20, 2011 at 2:25 PM

How in the Hell did this thread get to 800 comments?

portlandon on February 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM

UPDATE:

How in the Hell did this thread get to 900 comments?

portlandon on February 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM

portlandon on February 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM

750 of them were written by a Liberal Troll who was seriously trippin’.

kingsjester on February 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM

How in the Hell did this thread get to 900 comments?

portlandon on February 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Not sure exactly how, but I definitely helped.

gryphon202 on February 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM

750 of them were written by a Liberal Troll who was seriously trippin’.

kingsjester on February 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Not sure exactly how, but I definitely helped.

gryphon202 on February 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM

He must have been trippin’ hardcore. Geez.

Well Gryphon, if your comment count contributed by way of Whack-a-Troll, good for you. It seems this “Rainsford” person has good Stamina for Trolling. His masters would be proud.

portlandon on February 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM

portlandon on February 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM

It didn’t take me long to ignore Rainsford — but he still seemed to need to rebutt everything I said. Pathetic.

gryphon202 on February 20, 2011 at 2:39 PM

So after 900+ comments the trolls are still trying to make the point that Palin’s comment didn’t hit a massive homerun…..i see. The unions days are done. they won for the Us worker the 8 hour workday, vacation and holiday pay, overtime pay a clean safe work environment. those ar enow the law of the land and no politician worth their salt will try to do away with them. there is no reason for a union now. Maybe someday in a future generation workers will need to unite to defeat the hoorible work conditions but for now. They don’t capitalism worked. The only think keeping unions alive at this point is government. The market has determined that they are no longer needed. Let us allow the invisibile hand to retire these dinasours of a by gone era.

Palin is spot on the rank and file union members have to overthrow their masters if they want prosperity and freedom….

unseen on February 20, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 1:08 PM

1st I would say that schools should stop accepting federal dollars.
States should stop giving the feds $$ for education.
This business in K-12 of getting $$ for reduced lunch kids etc is BS.
Vouchers. State vouchers.
Schools are so addicted to federal $$ in all forms they cannot contemplate running on their local & state budgets.
It’s insane.
I, for one, am tired of parents with this attitude that their kid is my problem from 8:30am-3:15 pm & that I am to be the kid’s parent.
This is crap. We should not be responsible for feeding & parenting these kids.
And I know there are lots of educators out there who think of themselves as heroes bcs they are saving these low income kids with parents who care nothing about them.
I do feel for these kids, just like any community should.
But if we expect teachers to be educator, nurse, mommy, daddy, psychologist etc to these kids, then educating them becomes the impossible task that it has become.
I want the govt to get out of education. It is not their job to do this. It is the VILLAGE. Where is Hillary? Doesn’t it take a village to raise a child?
Not the global village, but the local village.
The states & local school do not have to take federal $$.
It is a lot cheaper in the long run to stop taking that money.
You cannot imagine how much $$ is wasted where I work.
And I have seen much worse at other schools.

Badger40 on February 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM

there is no reason for a union now

unseen on February 20, 2011 at 2:49 PM

I agree. I should just buy lawsuit insurance.
Do they have such a thing for those who teach?
I wonder.

Badger40 on February 20, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I should just buy lawsuit insurance.
Do they have such a thing for those who teach?
I wonder.

Badger40 on February 20, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Somewhere, for the right price, you can find someone to insure you against anything. The only question is if you decide you want to pay the premiums or not.

gryphon202 on February 20, 2011 at 3:13 PM

darwin on February 20, 2011 at 1:28 PM

That would be better than the current curriculum: Hoplophobia 101

Colbyjack on February 20, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Badger40, I think you can get an umbrella policy with your homeowner’s insurance. However, since you operate a ranch, maybe you should look at an umbrella policy with your ranch. They really are not that expensive, and generally you can get a million dollars of coverage or more. Just find someone willing to write a rider on your policy that would cover your legal fees for your profession and any liability claims. Chances are the insurance company would force a settlement over a trial, but still, it protects your assets.

Unseen, thanks for the link to Sarah’s interview. The shorter links to that event have all frozen on me, very frustrating. The more I see Sarah in action, the more I am convinced she is what our country needs in 2013. She CAN win this nomination and she CAN beat Obama.

I think the unions are seriously overplaying their hand here, particularly if they do rolling protests throughout the country. How can they be so tone deaf to the taxpayers and fiscal realities that we are BROKE at all levels of government, nationwide? Baffling.

karenhasfreedom on February 20, 2011 at 3:46 PM

That would be better than the current curriculum: Hoplophobia 101

Colbyjack on February 20, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Much better.

darwin on February 20, 2011 at 3:58 PM

karenhasfreedom on February 20, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I should.
But if it’s more expensive than my $500/yr dues, I gotta stick with union.
As it stands now, our farm & ranch policy is over $5000/yr for an almost 4000 acre ranch. And we have never had a claim except for a coupla times when cows got out to eat the neighbor farmer’s wheat & once when a neighbor hit a calf that was out with her van.
The insurance fees we pay are crippling.
I wish TORT reform would happen.
Think of all the $$ we would ALL save on EVERYTHING if that wish came true.

Badger40 on February 20, 2011 at 3:59 PM

karen and Unseen:
That is quite an impressive video of Sarah Palin at the LIA. It looks like she is running and that she is qualified to do so.

GaltBlvnAtty on February 20, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011

CWforFreedom on February 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I’m convinced that our society is collapsing, so maybe sooner than you think.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Liars don’t help.

CWforFreedom on February 20, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Man, lady, whatever…I don’t know how many different ways I can tell you that I’m not going to get into a lather about the unions one way or another, or that I don’t feel I need to post my qualifications on every thread I choose to comment on. In fact, you know far more about me than I’ll ever know about you.

And you come back hours later to attack me. Again, pathetic.

Oh, and for you anti-entitlement types looks like a Republican wants to cut VA benefits (“entitlements” or “teat sucking” for those of you who don’t understand the difference between a benefit and a handout). Chew on this one for a while:

House Budget Chairman Paul D. Ryan released a fiscal 2011 budget allocation Thursday that would cap spending at $1.055 trillion and slice $32 billion from current government spending levels this year. The eagerly awaited numbers are sure to touch off a battle between House Republicans and Democrats in both chambers over where, how quickly and how much to cut spending. The allocation provides House GOP appropriators with the final target they need to write a stopgap funding measure to pay for the last seven months of fiscal 2011 after a continuing resolution (PL 111-322) expires March 4.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2011/02/05/gop-congressman-calls-for-massive-cuts-i n-veterans-funding/

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Nowhere in the article does it say anything about cutting VA benefits. As a former military member and someone who has used the VA, there’s room in every government agency for reductions without impacting the quality of care veterans receive.

Btw, Did you know that someone who completes a certain number of days of basic training but doesn’t graduate or enter the military is eligible for VA benefits? That blew my mind when I heard that.

darwin on February 20, 2011 at 4:54 PM

The allocation by Ryan, R-Wis., represents a $58 billion reduction below President Obama’s proposed fiscal 2011 budget request of $478 billion for non-security programs. As defined by GOP leaders, non-security spending includes all discretionary spending not for defense, homeland security, veterans and military construction.

I’m sorry, but the article does say that and it’s certainly how Veteranstoday interprets it.

No, that’s news to me…I had heard about disability benefits due to injuries during basic.

I don’t use the VA. There are those out there who need it far more than I.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 5:07 PM

darwin on February 20, 2011 at 4:54 PM

My mother was in the Navy during Vietnam. That’s when she met my dad, who had just come back from Vietnam.
My mother then got pregnant with me & back then women were forced out for that.
My father served in combat situations & received 2 Purple Hearts.
My mother was stationed in Pensacola, FL the whole like 18 months of her service.
Why should my mother get VA benefits?
My father deserves them.
But my mom?
And why does my mom get a small Vet pension?
Come on.

Badger40 on February 20, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 5:07 PM

No, it just says that as defined by the GOP non-security spending includes all discretionary spending not for defense, homeland security, veterans and military construction.

That’s the only place in the article, besides the dramtic headline, where “veterans” is mentioned.

I scanned the comments while I was there and it’s obvious NO ONE read the article.

darwin on February 20, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Come on.

Badger40 on February 20, 2011 at 5:15 PM

A long time ago I thought VA medical services were used by people who had service and/or combat related injuries. I was surprised to find out that anyone who served (or didn’t apparently) can use VA medical services regardless of the cause of the aliment or condition.

darwin on February 20, 2011 at 5:22 PM

fossten on February 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM

understatement on both counts.

unseen on February 20, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Five major smash-ups (kids) and no frame damage. My son says Sarah Palin has better wheels than his Mustang and he loves his Mustang.

bw222 on February 20, 2011 at 5:28 PM

darwin on February 20, 2011 at 5:19 PM

darwin, it’s right there! It’s 58 billion less than even The One proposed for the budget including “discretionary” spending and that includes veterans programs. It’s just not known how much that would be. In no way did the article imply that veterans programs would be exempt from cuts.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 5:44 PM

“The allocation by Ryan, R-Wis., represents a $58 billion reduction below President Obama’s proposed fiscal 2011 budget request of $478 billion for non-security programs. As defined by GOP leaders, non-security spending includes all discretionary spending not for defense, homeland security, veterans and military construction”.

Defense, homeland security, veterans and military construction are not touched.

darwin on February 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Defense, homeland security, veterans and military construction are not touched.

darwin on February 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Look, visit any military-relate website out there covering this story and it’s always the same…cuts coming for veterans’ programs according to Ryan’s budget proposals.

Think all those sites are run by union thugs and Communists as well? They’re not happy about this.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Look, will you read the damn paragraph you originally quoted?

Defense, homeland security, veterans and military construction are not non-security programs.

You say you teach for a living?

darwin on February 20, 2011 at 6:44 PM

What’s the difference between ENTITLEMENTS received by public sector unions and business owners paying the local gangster “protection money”?

At least the gangster claims he will protect you from other criminals or troublemakers. Quid pro quo.

While in the case of the public sector unions they have the audacity and effrontery to extract more money from the taxpayers using the pretense that they are the ruling class and we need to be reminded from time to time like good little children who is in charge and who we really need protection from: government bureaucrats and politicians. So we pay more taxes to keep the government off our backs. In other words we endeavor to buy them off. And then they want a higher slice of our pay check. Then we try to buy them off again: a never-ending cycle. How’s that working out for you people of Wisconsin and citizens of America?

technopeasant on February 20, 2011 at 7:21 PM

OMG…look, darwin, you’re not reading it correctly…you’re hung up on “not” and that has to do with the definition of exactly what they’re cutting 58 billion from.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM

“Wisconsin” sinkhole today rather than “Wisconsin” bounce for Obama:

Rasmussen DTP approval/disapproval: 44/54

Decline of 4 points in approval in last 72 hours

Gallup DTP approval/disapproval: 48/44

A loss of 5 points in net approval over last 24 hours.

Enjoy Presidents’ Day Mr. President, and may you wallow in your own vomit and despair.

technopeasant on February 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM

darwin on February 20, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I was to understand if you served during any war, no matter what you were doing etc you were eligible for VA benefits.
Not sure.

Badger40 on February 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

If Barack Obama has one major problem that Bill Clinton did not have or did show it is this:

HE’S NOT A VERY GOOD ACTOR UNDER PRESSURE.

What I mean is that Obama is atavistic-he reverts to type because that is all he knows or in which he is the most comfortable with, being in the skin of a community organizer.

Witness the activity organized by Tim Kaine to send out-of-state union thugs to join the local Leftist protesters in Madison.

Saying that Obama is a “one-trick pony” may be a bit of a stretch but let’s say the Messiah doesn’t have as many cards up his sleeve as many prestidigitators do.

And I think the MSM knows that and finds it even more difficult when Obama “enters this zone” to provide Obama the ring of protection he needs to keep his true nature obscured from independents and moderates who don’t follow politics closely and/or could not even begin to imagine that their President is a Marxist thug.

Thus Obama’s poll numbers are dropping.

Don’t get me wrong. Obama is still charming, smooth, charismatic, urbane and likeable to many people. Yes, he is very talented from that perspective.

but unlike Bill Clinton who was more of a finesse politician who could talk his way out of a paper bag, Obama is a “brute force” thug who thrives on direct confrontation with opponents and his use of Alinsky tactics. He is used to having the upper hand. That is how he hopes to win re-election as well by the way.

Unfortunately for Obama 41% of conservatives showed up at the polls in 2010, while only 20% of liberals did. Conservatives have a two to one advantage over Obamabots.

And the key to our success in 2012: Conservatives know we have the upper hand on you Messish and the Left and with Sarah Palin at the helm we mean to leverage our advantage to seeing that you are no more than a “one-term President.” and that we win back the WH with a landslide victory, despite protestations on your part that your defeat will cause race riots to break out all over America.

technopeasant on February 20, 2011 at 8:08 PM

If Barack Obama has one major problem that Bill Clinton did not have it is this:

There was no Sarah Palin to call him out on his lies.
Palin is the only person who constantly speaks out. IMO, she has earned the nomination in 2012.

lonestar1 on February 20, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Not sure.

Badger40 on February 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

One hundred-eighty consecutive days served, NOT IN TRAINING, earns VA benefits.

NoNails on February 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM

One hundred-eighty consecutive days served, NOT IN TRAINING, earns VA benefits.

NoNails on February 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM

That’s even worse than I thought.
No offense to those who have served, but at some point-well I’m just speechless.
That’s not very long at all.

Badger40 on February 20, 2011 at 9:52 PM

I should just buy lawsuit insurance.
Do they have such a thing for those who teach?
I wonder.

Badger40 on February 20, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Professional liability. It’s an established line but depending on the industry it goes under different names and prices. Your union gets a discounted rate through collective purchasing and their line will have extra cover which personal lines will not have. It is different from the general liability cover you would have bundled with your regular domestic policies. Talk to a few brokers and shop around…. as always, pay attention to exclusions. You could also see what your employer has and look into discounts for overlapping cover.

lexhamfox on February 21, 2011 at 12:50 AM

The fact that Sarah continues to attract several hundred comments on most every thread where she is the subject matter speaks volume to the power this woman posses from her current chair. Sarah might be the most fascinating personality in the past 20-30 years. One things for sure, Sarah is causing the men in the GOP to raise the bar on guts and courage. This is a good thing in my view.

Keemo on February 21, 2011 at 7:35 AM