Quotes of the day

posted at 10:23 pm on February 18, 2011 by Allahpundit

“President Barack Obama’s proposed budget this week raised a key question about how he governs: Can he lead without getting out in front?…

“Changing entitlement programs such as Medicare and Social Security will be harder: He faces a Republican-led House of Representatives on this one. And he’ll eventually have to offer more specifics to drive the debate, analysts say. But he’s clearly trying to forge a new model of presidential leadership adapted to a new age.

“‘It’s a potentially effective strategy for Obama,’ said Bruce Buchanan, a scholar of the presidency at the University of Texas. ‘Leadership has always been changeable across presidential history.’”

***
“Has the president ever called him to talk? ‘Never once,’ [Ryan] says, notwithstanding Mr. Obama’s many public statements that he wants ‘aggressive’ conversations with Republicans, especially Mr. Ryan. ‘He keeps saying that,’ says the Wisconsin native, but ‘they don’t talk to us. It just doesn’t really happen. I don’t know what else to say.’…

“Paradoxically, however, he says the president’s budget has helped Republicans. By failing to lead with such a loud thud, Mr. Obama has helped the cause of reformers within the House GOP. Some in the leadership had been wary of taking on entitlement reform—that’s Medicaid, Medicare and perhaps Social Security—but this week tipped them over the edge.

“‘We have a lot of fiscal conservatives here. We have a determined caucus. . . . That is very helpful. We have a fiscal reality that is obvious and we have a president who is failing to lead. We feel duty bound to lead ourselves,’ he says.”

***
“The president has enormous faith in getting smart people around the table and initiating technocratic reform. But you can’t renegotiate the social contract in private. You have to have public buy-in. You have to spend years out in public educating voters about the size of the problem and what will be required. You have to show voters what a solution looks like.

“The New Deal wasn’t passed by a president who led quietly from the back. Neither was the Great Society or the Reagan Revolution. President Obama’s softly, softly approach is a rationalization, not a coherent strategy. It’s the latest version of Obama’s eternal promise: I’ll do it tomorrow.

“So the mantle of leadership has passed to Capitol Hill. While Obama asked for patience yet again, Eric Cantor announced that Republicans will put entitlements on the table. It may be politically risky, but it looks more like leadership to me.”

***
“Ahead of Presidents Day 2011, Americans are most likely to say Ronald Reagan was the nation’s greatest president — slightly ahead of Abraham Lincoln and Bill Clinton.”

***
Via Greg Hengler.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I am so glad I left CA five years ago.

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Wow, that’s when I took my family and ran for the hills of Montana… June of 2006 for me.. Good for you OC.

Keemo on February 19, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Keemo on February 19, 2011 at 8:18 AM

I saw the writing on the wall and left San Diego in Sept 2005.
Don’t blame me CA, I voted for Tom McClintock.

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2011 at 8:24 AM

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2011 at 8:24 AM

We lived in Palos Verdes about 100 miles to the north of you. I loved the area we lived in, the weather and the people are fabulous. Like you, the wife and I could see what was coming with the housing crash, and with businesses leaving the state by the thousands it appeared that the time was ripe to flee while we could sell our home and get at least a small piece of equity. We also wanted to get our sons out of Ca. before they wound up getting stuck there. We have no regrets.

Keemo on February 19, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Keemo on February 19, 2011 at 8:30 AM

I feel for those who are stuck there and cannot afford to flee like we did.

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Geochelone You’ve got that right!

Union bosses are dinosaurs.

Go Cuda! Show that Community Agitator-in-Chief what REAL leadership is! Øbama is polarizing.

Jayrae on February 19, 2011 at 8:43 AM

I am so glad I left CA five years ago.

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Keemo on February 19, 2011 at 8:18 AM

I left in 2007 after 5 years in Long Beach for beautiful Franklin, Tn. and won’t go back!

PatMac on February 19, 2011 at 9:05 AM

PatMac on February 19, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Saw the writing on the wall, eh?

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2011 at 9:11 AM

It’s the latest version of Obama’s eternal promise: I’ll do it tomorrow.

How’d that work out for Scarlett….

ladyingray on February 19, 2011 at 9:13 AM

PatMac on February 19, 2011 at 9:05 AM

You’re at the wrong end of the state, friend! :)

ladyingray on February 19, 2011 at 9:14 AM

PatMac on February 19, 2011 at 9:05 AM

We also looked at that area and loved it! Good for you.

Keemo on February 19, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Obama is number 7 on the list of “great presidents”?

For what?

Gosh, the world is full of idiots.

Schadenfreude on February 19, 2011 at 12:32 AM

He got on that list the same way he got through Hahvahd, Double-A. Without it he’s a nobody, probably working fast-food in Honolulu. Maybe he could be a McDonalds area manager by now.

slickwillie2001 on February 19, 2011 at 9:19 AM

How’d that work out for Scarlett….

ladyingray on February 19, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Frankly…

Yoop on February 19, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Saw the writing on the wall, eh?

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2011 at 9:11 AM

The weather was awesome but that was it. I’ve had seven different corporate relocations over the years and that was my least favorite place to live – even worse than the one year I spent in Cleveland!

PatMac on February 19, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Hey, Keemo, we got here in June 06 from Florida. Now they got a real R for gov. Wish we had one here.

Kissmygrits on February 19, 2011 at 9:28 AM

slickwillie2001 on February 19, 2011 at 9:19 AM

More likely selling goat-meat sliders in Kenya.

Yoop on February 19, 2011 at 9:29 AM

PatMac on February 19, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Yeah, the weather was nice. Kinda’ miss that.

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2011 at 9:36 AM

You’re at the wrong end of the state, friend! :)

ladyingray on February 19, 2011 at 9:14 AM

It’s a beautiful state everywhere! What we like about this end of the state is the short 10-hour drive to Dallas to visit our two sons and brand-new granddaughter.

PatMac on February 19, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Yeah, the weather was nice. Kinda’ miss that.

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2011 at 9:36 AM

I have a You-Tube video of playing golf in shorts and t-shirts on Christmas Day with my two sons. Hard to imagine after this winter of heavy global warming.

PatMac on February 19, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Kissmygrits on February 19, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Yea, I hear you on that one. In do time… Obama and the rest of his gang are going to destroy the Democrat party for a generation minimum.

Keemo on February 19, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Don’t tell me that you can get people to move without yourself having a vision of where to go. A leader will step forward and in this case it must be Republicans. But it is very difficult to lead with out what I call “authority” (granted to you by the people you are to lead). It causes much acrimony and divisiveness, a phase exactly what our country is entering into now. All brought to us by the greatest One evah! That great orator, messiah, Uniter, lover of freedom barack hussein obama. (small case no typo)

Herb on February 19, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Their is a little known concept regarding leadership in politics. You can lead or lord those under ones sphere of influence.

Politicians who listen to the people and pick the brightest ideas with the least amount of imposition (in money or effort on the public) is Leading.

Politicians injecting their solutions, under the guise it was the publics idea, while the costs to implement these ideas are paid for by the public are being Lorded over.

History has proven Leaders implementing solutions via positive interaction with the public has proven to be superior. While the Lords who demand control over the entire process of implementation of policies over the public, using cohesion and dictating compliance, and assuring the cost of implementation by the public is Lording.

This is what the American Revolution was all about and the winning style was Leadership over Lordship. Today, the public must remind political leaders their place in society is to listen to public and implement solutions which are economically sound.

MSGTAS on February 19, 2011 at 10:15 AM

All of the people bashing California are absolutely right about the place. I’m still here, braving it out. I’ll be going to the LA Computer Fair in shorts today. After I pay my $75 heating bill from last month.

SurferDoc on February 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Maybe he could be a McDonalds area manager by now.

slickwillie2001 on February 19, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Nope. Area managers have to make decisions.

SKYFOX on February 19, 2011 at 11:54 AM

There should be a gate on the way out of California, and if you vote democratic you are not allowed out.

slickwillie2001 on February 19, 2011 at 11:55 AM