Boehner rips Obama for meddling in Wisconsin

posted at 4:15 pm on February 18, 2011 by Allahpundit

Lest there was any doubt that this showdown has been fully nationalized, this should finish it off.

“The President of the United States has a unique opportunity and responsibility to lead this nation. President Obama has acknowledged the challenges we face, but – thus far – he has done nothing to offer solutions. Now, worse, his political organization is colluding with special-interest allies across the country to demagogue reform-minded governors who are making the tough choices that the President is avoiding.

“This is not the way to begin an ‘adult conversation’ about solutions to the big challenges facing our country. Rather than inciting protests against those who speak honestly about the challenges we face, the President and his advisers should lead.

“When the American people watched the people of Greece take to the streets to protest cuts to unsustainable government programs, they worried it might foreshadow events in our nation’s distant future – but today, we see the same sort of protests on the streets of Madison, fueled by President Obama’s own political machine.

“Rather than trying to ‘win the future,’ the President’s political allies are trying, desperately, to cling to a failed past by fighting reforms our nation needs to liberate our economy from the shackles of debt and create a better future for our children and grandchildren. The President should make it clear to his friends that the people of Wisconsin, and states across America, can handle their own affairs without Washington special-interest money and meddling.

This isn’t limited to Wisconsin. The One’s O-bots at OFA are also helping to put together protests in Ohio and Indiana, a tactic that would have inspired much outrageously outraged liberal pants-wetting about “astroturf” had the party roles in the protests been reversed. At Reason, Matt Welch beholds the spectacle of a C-in-C going all-in against a state governor trying to balance his budget and wonders, “Is this how a president should act?” And the answer, clearly, is yes: If, like Obama, you value your own reelection so dearly that you’re willing to run screaming from entitlement reform despite the mortal risk our debt poses to the country’s fiscal stability, then intervening in Madison on behalf of the unions who’ll fund your campaign is precisely how you should act. That’s what being the union crony-in-chief means. His party has been bought and sold by PEUs, so if the taxpayer tap runs dry for the latter, it runs dry for the Democrats too. So it’s time to lay down some ‘turf. That’s what Lincoln would do, no?

Speaking of a complete collapse in leadership, via Greg Hengler, below you’ll find video of Democratic Wisconsin Senator turned cretinous fugitive Joe Erpenbach explaining that kids are missing school because of Scott Walker, not because of the public-school teachers who are out in the streets protesting a new benefit scheme that most private employees would kill for. Since Obama’s so tangibly interested in these protests, go ahead and lay that at his feet too. And since, as of this writing, top Democrats have yet to interrupt their self-congratulation about civility by saying anything about the “Scott Walker is a new Hitler” rhetoric being kicked around outside the Capitol — which is really the tip of the iceberg in terms of nastiness — let’s also throw that in the mix. Quite a little political stew we have simmering here. Andrew Breitbart and tea partiers are set to hold a counterdemonstration in support of Walker tomorrow, but that too may be just the tip of the iceberg. Erpenbach says he and the other runaway Dems are willing to stay away for weeks, until Walker — and this is a real, actual quote — fulfills “his responsibility to bring the state together.” While union members outside Walker’s office screech about Nazism, a Democrat who fled the state rather than lose a vote is faulting Walker for dividing Wisconsin. And he’s doing it from an undisclosed location. Perfect.

As I write this, Ben Smith at Politico is touting a new poll showing that fully 64 percent think public employees shouldn’t be allowed to unionize. Meanwhile, Joe Klein — yes, Joe Klein — is scolding the Wisconsin Dems for running away from democracy and heralding a new “rebalancing” of union political power. Exit question: Who do you think is going to win this showdown, Walker or Obama?

Update (Ed): Obama had better hope that the answer to the exit question is himself. There is probably no path to the Presidency for a Democrat who loses Wisconsin — and he was in deep danger of doing that before this crisis erupted. If I were Obama, I’d be very leery of getting too deeply involved in this, especially on the losing side.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

parenthood …). How in the world is that “reform?”
crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I love this. More please.

Chuck Schick on February 18, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Notice how all of these cuts are targeted with surgical precision at the political adversaries of Republicans (unions, planned parenthood…). How in the world is that “reform?”

crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Sweetie, those “adversaries” that you cite are not job creators. They are job destroyers. They drain resources that could be better aimed toward growing the economy and, thus, generating revenue.

onlineanalyst on February 18, 2011 at 5:52 PM

That’s what’s happening now, but I believe the (intended) effect of that is to eventually drive the unions out of business.

Which would be fine, as far as I’m concerned. I hope that’s what happens. Who needs ‘em.

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Gotta start somewhere…

spinach.chin on February 18, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Those of you in Wisconsin, please see this rally planned to stand with Governor Scott Walker tommorrow at 12pm-3pm at the State Capitol.

SheetAnchor on February 18, 2011 at 5:54 PM

LOL the protesting libs at the Madison event are screaming “Fox Lies” while they are doing a live feed. Stupid libs.

carbon_footprint on February 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM

LoL, too funny!

wi farmgirl on February 18, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Wait and see how fast these idiot high school students who are supporting their poor oppressed teachers flip when they find their summer vacation whacked because of this walk out.

teacherman on February 18, 2011 at 5:55 PM

CRR heh

You are effing naive.

CWforFreedom on February 18, 2011 at 5:55 PM

spinach.chin on February 18, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Great name! “Malice in the Palace”?

Del Dolemonte on February 18, 2011 at 5:56 PM

CRR that was hilarious .

CWforFreedom on February 18, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:48 PM

The DNC needs them, badly

TheVer on February 18, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Great name! “Malice in the Palace”?

Del Dolemonte on February 18, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Thanks! I’m also a big Evil Dead fan. Sam Raimi pays homage to the Stooges often.

spinach.chin on February 18, 2011 at 6:05 PM

In retrospect, this was all inevitable and of course it was going to be Madison. These upper midwest states were always a union stronghold, and usually voted dem. If a republican snuck through, then he was usually a get along type. The most dramatic part of the 2008 elections was how swiftly these great lakes states rejected the same old way they do business.

This is pure desperation on the part of unions. A last gasp attempt at saving what has always been theirs. The voters have woken up though, they see where it got them. This is going to backfire spectacularly and I love it.

stldave on February 18, 2011 at 6:09 PM

It’s time Obama decides whether he wants to be President, or a street organizing thug, because his despicable, low-life tactics are forever staining the highest office in America. He’s making people long for the days when only blue dresses got stained by the President.

OxyCon on February 18, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Key West Reader on February 18, 2011 at 4:40 PM
(and everyone can consider this: take what you like from the thoughts below and leave the rest. I don’t care if this offends someone, it’s what I do to quash MOST of the fear and anger I have).
There have been a couple of times in the last 2 years that I’ve thought the same thing. This is what I do: I take care of myself first so that I can take care of my family. Whether that means stocking up on canned goods, or going to the doctor, or grocery shopping doesn’t matter. It’s whatever I and my family need. We enjoy our lives – even when we are scared or nervous. Find the beauty and the humor and let it resonate; share it. And if you believe in a higher-being, higher power, God, etc., pray for and ask to be shown God’s will.

Thankfully we have Hot Air and we know we aren’t alone. Let’s not waste the energy on fear and anger, let’s put it to good use.

Yellowdog12 on February 18, 2011 at 6:13 PM

What his constituents object to is his attempt to limit the collective bargaining rights of American workers.

crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM
That would presumably include the right not to join a union if one did not want to. To not have to join a union to get a job. To be able to vote for or against a union in a secret ballot.

Wethal on February 18, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Hmm, no answer. Silence means assent or maybe she had to run off and study for midterm.

Wethal on February 18, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Yikes…..will be a long night in our house w/our guest from WI. He just told us that his school teacher wife was in Madison protesting along w/their two teenage children. We quickly changed the subject, but underneath I am seething. BTW, she teaches at my grandson’s school, so it just got more personal for me.

Jasech59 on February 18, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Did my eyes deceive me or did I just see curr6 denouncing outside agitators?

Really?

So, I’m guessing that all of the Organizing For America (barackojesus.com) membership, leadership, etc. are Wisconsin-based?

Hell, you learn something new every day.

I am thoroughly enjoying watching these trolls floundering this pitifully. Truly, I am.

Please. Keep. Digging.

hillbillyjim on February 18, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I think Walker wins. I think that a lot of people who might have some sympathy with the unions will be so turned off by this spectacle that they will feel disgust for the union’s behavior in all this.

Terrye on February 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I have about 4-5 family members affected by this, I was sympathetic yesterday somewhat. Today I am 100% praying Walker pulls this off. It’s time and the rest of the country needs this too. Look how many states are waiting to free their tax payers. Go Walker Go.

wi farmgirl on February 18, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Walker is speaking live right now and he is sounding like a polished Chris Christie. The crowd is roaring behind him. Gosh he is really awesome.

wi farmgirl on February 18, 2011 at 6:21 PM

He just said he is going to make major cuts in local governments across the state, more to come. Lots more.

wi farmgirl on February 18, 2011 at 6:23 PM

If Barry OLightworker can’t control the people who’re using the website with his name on it from trying to DERAIL DEMOCRACY, he doesn’t deserve to be the putative head of the Democrat Party, much less our President and CinC.

He tried yesterday to give the impression that he wasn’t quite up to date on the Wisconsin situation; all the while his OFA minions were busing in demonstrators and setting up and manning phone banks. In other words, his operation is trying to create a crisis, trying to turn this internal Wisconsin power struggle into full-on class warfare, complete with all of the usual lies and hyperbole. If he truly had no knowledge of this, what does that say?

It’s a sh!t sandwich for Ojesus, no matter how you slice it.

Enjoy.

hillbillyjim on February 18, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Wethal on February 18, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Nope, crr6.7/8 is entertaining us on another thread here as we speak.

Del Dolemonte on February 18, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Public sentiment is changing. There is a growing sense that public-sector unions are not battling for better, safer workplaces. They’re not battling unscrupulous employers. They’re battling … the common good.

Chicago Tribune Editorial Board

Schadenfreude on February 18, 2011 at 4:54 PM

And they are funding the Dem political machine.

wi farmgirl on February 18, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Jasech59 on February 18, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Look, I’m 100% against them but I don’t blame them one bit for protesting. They’re having stuff taken away from them, stuff that they thought they’d always have, stuff that they never should have had in the first place, but nonetheless, I sympathize for people in that position.

I still hope they lose. But I think you can sympathize with the plight even if you think they’re wrong.

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Jasech59 on February 18, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Personal is when you have family members on the other side. Many families do here. It is going to be bad for quite sometime. Especially when the rest of his cuts hits local governments. Many will be without jobs I have a feeling. Reality bites.

wi farmgirl on February 18, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Nope, as a retired member of the military, I have had plenty taken away from me. My husband was promoted to E-9 last year, yet his pay is less this year due to cuts in housing allowance based on current housing prices. Drastic times call for drastic measures. Why should only some people have to tighten their belts? They should count their blessings they have jobs. Nope, not sympathetic at all.

Jasech59 on February 18, 2011 at 6:36 PM

wi farmgirl on February 18, 2011 at 6:35 PM

I hear you; unfortunately my daughter is standing with what she calls “the common man” and supporting the teachers. I blame her political views on my ex-husband, her father! :)

Jasech59 on February 18, 2011 at 6:39 PM

wi farmgirl on February 18, 2011 at 6:35 PM

That’s a good point. I mean, regardless of whether the cuts are necessary or whether getting rid of the public employees union is a good idea (yes it is), people losing their livelihoods is difficult, period. Doesn’t matter what the circumstances are.

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I posted this on another thread …this is a great documentary to watch on the American school system.

wi farmgirl on February 18, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Kind of like people who got laid off in the last two years due to the economy? Hard times stink for everyone, but I think what irks people in this situation is the union members think they should be immune from hard times.

txmomof6 on February 18, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Obama proved today what his true agenda is…to tear this country in half and create full-scale class warfare!

pilamaye on February 18, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Breathtaking eloquence.

hillbillyjim on February 18, 2011 at 6:58 PM

LOL. How much of that is actually law? He’s good at grandstanding by passing pointless bills that lemmings like you will eat it up.

crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Leaving aside the horrid grammer on display here;

He’s actually done things he said he would do – this may be a foreign concept to our not-gitmo-closing-not-war-ending-not-unifying-not-doing-anything-he-said president, but it’s refreshing. Even if the votes are symbolic, symbols are an important part of governing.

massrighty on February 18, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Leaving aside the horrid grammer on display here;

That’s a cheap shot. You’ve got to make allowances for the fact that the poor thing had to go to Harvard.

hillbillyjim on February 18, 2011 at 7:32 PM

hillbillyjim on February 18, 2011 at 7:32 PM

No quarter.

massrighty on February 18, 2011 at 7:35 PM

No quarter.

massrighty on February 18, 2011 at 7:35 PM

No quarter, hell. I ain’t even got no nickel./

:>)

BTW: That’s one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs.

hillbillyjim on February 18, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Heh.
I’ve always liked this one, along with just about anything from the first four albums.

massrighty on February 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Leaving aside the horrid grammer on display here;

massrighty on February 18, 2011 at 7:26 PM

You didn’t use a semicolon properly and you misspelled the word “grammar.”

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 7:52 PM

But, he always picks the losing side.

Mallard T. Drake on February 18, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 7:52 PM

OK – you caught me on the mis-spelling.
The semicolon is one we could argue endlessly. Strunk and White, (among other sources,) allows for uses like mine.

massrighty on February 18, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Plus, while we’re quibbling; your link was kind of weak, and you should learn how to do highlighted links…

massrighty on February 18, 2011 at 8:07 PM

The semicolon is one we could argue endlessly.

We could argue it endlessly, yes. But arguing about it isn’t going to make you any less wrong.

Strunk and White, (among other sources,) allows for uses like mine.

False.

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 8:14 PM

While we’re quibbling, your link was kind of weak; you should learn how to do highlighted links.

massrighty on February 18, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Fixed.

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 8:16 PM

massrighty on February 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Good one.

I’ll see your Fool and raise you one Kashmir

hillbillyjim on February 18, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Well played.
So, I guess since my comment to crr6 started this, you could say it’s nobodys fault but mine!

BTW, an aside to Proud Rino: this would be an example of an invisible link.

Not really worth arguing grammar with you. Done.

massrighty on February 18, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Not really worth arguing grammar with you. Done.

massrighty on February 18, 2011 at 8:30 PM

I think you’re making a wise move by not embarrassing yourself further. Better luck next time.

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 8:34 PM

You’ve now claimed your teeny-tiny victory. Congratulations.

massrighty on February 18, 2011 at 8:36 PM

massrighty on February 18, 2011 at 8:30 PM

You could say that.

With that, I’ll just bring it on home and say top o’ the night to ya.

Good evening.

hillbillyjim on February 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM

hillbillyjim on February 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Great fun trading with you hillbillyjim. Makes me (almost) want to trade my good scotch for some blond hash. You could say I’m conflicted, or perhaps just confused.

Good night, jim.

massrighty on February 18, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Dazed too.

:>)

hillbillyjim on February 18, 2011 at 8:49 PM

ARAGORN Walker BATTLES Union ORCS!

Who is Obama’s Lord of the Ring-based character?

Mutnodjmet on February 18, 2011 at 9:00 PM

parenthood …). How in the world is that “reform?”
crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM

ever notice how there really isn’t that many rightwing government services that need funding?

That’s because we mostly stand on our own thus the lefts reliance on taxpayer dough,

you don’t

Sonosam on February 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Who is Obama’s Lord of the Ring-based character?

Mutnodjmet on February 18, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Not the smart-ass spammer, I’m guessing.

hillbillyjim on February 18, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Leaving aside the horrid grammer on display here;

massrighty on February 18, 2011 at 7:26 PM

You didn’t use a semicolon properly and you misspelled the word “grammar.”

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 7:52 PM

haha. Good times.

crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 10:16 PM

As Rove just said on Greta’s show, it’s illegal for those teachers to call in sick, and Øbama is encouraging them to break the law. He needs to be called out for it… or censored or something. His behavior is outrageous and probably illegal.

petefrt on February 18, 2011 at 10:29 PM

crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Oh good sweet Nellie! Have you no shame?

How you show your face xxx around here after YOUR PRESIDENT and YOUR PARTY and YOUR ILK have showed their ass so obviously, I’ll never be able to fathom.

You should hang your head in shame, and so should your dog.

No, really.

hillbillyjim on February 18, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Kudos to Boehner. More like this, puhleeze!

petefrt on February 18, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Since you ask, Walker will win and not Obama, though this may not be understood until after 11-6-12.

exdeadhead on February 18, 2011 at 10:47 PM

I love the leftists defending the poor oppressed teachers who make over $100K a year, and are being asked to pay less of their own health insurance and retirement benefits than the lower-paid private sector workers in their state!

Are they just really, really stupid, or are they paid union thugs?

Adjoran on February 18, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Who is Obama’s Lord of the Ring-based character?

Mutnodjmet on February 18, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Need you ask?

Grima Wormtongue, natch.

ebrown2 on February 18, 2011 at 11:23 PM

This is quite Lincolnesque. Abe successfully manuevered the Rebs into firing on his tax collection fort in Charleston harbor. Then he and his MSM editors and “journalists” whipped up the ‘Locals’ with editorials and Abe called for volunteers (UAW, SEIU, ‘The Justice Bros’in Wisc.) to be sent south to invade and collect The Morrill Tariff. This caused four more states to declare their independence from D.C. After that, it was on. Later they claimed it was for the slaves, a la the Dems claiming it’s for the children, but it was all about money and power. This looks like another flash point in the struggle between the Country Class and the Rulers (DC, Dems, unions & RINO GOPers who want Jeb to run- O’Reilly has been beating the drum for Jeb and did again last night).

JimP on February 19, 2011 at 7:14 AM

JimP on February 19, 2011 at 7:14 AM

Kindly take your KKK-inspired conspiracy theories and shove them.

The South went to war over their ‘right’ to force other men to do their labor. They were anti-freedom. This is about as opposite as one can get – people are fighting for their freedom.

Dark-Star on February 19, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Walker is winning and will win. He has instructed his own state admin of education to seek an injunction to the sick-out and order teachers back to the classroom.

So he’s no fool on that front. I still can’t quite understand how he intends to administer multiple pension plans that are negotiated by local districts.

Nobody seems to be asking that obvious question. Benefit plans are easier. But pension? Odd choice.

AnninCA on February 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Are they just really, really stupid, or are they paid union thugs?

Adjoran on February 18, 2011 at 11:13 PM

My theory is that they look up to people in these jobs with premier gold-plated benefits in the same way some on the conservative side admire CEO’s with golden parachutes that exceed the entire costs of running the company for 5 year. *haha

Same thinking. We all have to have a hero, eh?

AnninCA on February 19, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Dark-Star on February 19, 2011 at 12:25 PM

LOL A person ignorant of history bigotedly calling someone else a bigot. Gotta laugh at that one. Lighten up Star, just because someone makes a comment noting some of the ironies that parallel the past doesn’t mean they are trying to bring back the Confederacy. Also, my compliments on the use of Alinsky tactics to attack a fellow conservative. You are a conservative, right? Anway, nice going. You’d fit right in with the NEA/SEIU/UAW.

JimP on February 19, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Clarification: I think I see where Dark Star and I ‘miscommunicated’- in part. I do not contend that the South was not fighting to preserve slavery. They were, among other reasons. The issue of my stating that “later they said the war was about slavery” is referencing the North’s reasons for fighting the war. I did not make this distinction in my first comment. Mea culpa. History is clear that Lincoln, and the North went to war to enforce the Morrill Tariff. Later,as a war measure only to undermine the Confederacy- by his own admission- Lincoln came up with the Emanciaption Proclamation. The Morrill Tariff was needed to fund the mercantilist shovel ready projects of the North. The Tariff would have tripled taxes on the South only. The South was already paying 70+% of all Fed taxes (tariffs in those days) and 80% of the money was being spent in the North. All this is verifiable if anyone wants to check. Save for a very few abolishionists Northerners were not fighting to free the slaves. They were more prejudiced against Black people than Southerners. Again this is all verified by the overwhelming majority of primary sources.

End note: I once believed as Dark Star and others, but as an historian I ended up finding out our publik skool versions of that era were…. inaccurate, to put it politely.

JimP on February 19, 2011 at 4:33 PM

JimP on February 19, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Translation: I read a bunch of ‘history’ books written by revisionist sore losers and nitpickers, believed they had a shred of sense, and now think I have the real story.

Dark-Star on February 21, 2011 at 4:37 AM