Boehner rips Obama for meddling in Wisconsin

posted at 4:15 pm on February 18, 2011 by Allahpundit

Lest there was any doubt that this showdown has been fully nationalized, this should finish it off.

“The President of the United States has a unique opportunity and responsibility to lead this nation. President Obama has acknowledged the challenges we face, but – thus far – he has done nothing to offer solutions. Now, worse, his political organization is colluding with special-interest allies across the country to demagogue reform-minded governors who are making the tough choices that the President is avoiding.

“This is not the way to begin an ‘adult conversation’ about solutions to the big challenges facing our country. Rather than inciting protests against those who speak honestly about the challenges we face, the President and his advisers should lead.

“When the American people watched the people of Greece take to the streets to protest cuts to unsustainable government programs, they worried it might foreshadow events in our nation’s distant future – but today, we see the same sort of protests on the streets of Madison, fueled by President Obama’s own political machine.

“Rather than trying to ‘win the future,’ the President’s political allies are trying, desperately, to cling to a failed past by fighting reforms our nation needs to liberate our economy from the shackles of debt and create a better future for our children and grandchildren. The President should make it clear to his friends that the people of Wisconsin, and states across America, can handle their own affairs without Washington special-interest money and meddling.

This isn’t limited to Wisconsin. The One’s O-bots at OFA are also helping to put together protests in Ohio and Indiana, a tactic that would have inspired much outrageously outraged liberal pants-wetting about “astroturf” had the party roles in the protests been reversed. At Reason, Matt Welch beholds the spectacle of a C-in-C going all-in against a state governor trying to balance his budget and wonders, “Is this how a president should act?” And the answer, clearly, is yes: If, like Obama, you value your own reelection so dearly that you’re willing to run screaming from entitlement reform despite the mortal risk our debt poses to the country’s fiscal stability, then intervening in Madison on behalf of the unions who’ll fund your campaign is precisely how you should act. That’s what being the union crony-in-chief means. His party has been bought and sold by PEUs, so if the taxpayer tap runs dry for the latter, it runs dry for the Democrats too. So it’s time to lay down some ‘turf. That’s what Lincoln would do, no?

Speaking of a complete collapse in leadership, via Greg Hengler, below you’ll find video of Democratic Wisconsin Senator turned cretinous fugitive Joe Erpenbach explaining that kids are missing school because of Scott Walker, not because of the public-school teachers who are out in the streets protesting a new benefit scheme that most private employees would kill for. Since Obama’s so tangibly interested in these protests, go ahead and lay that at his feet too. And since, as of this writing, top Democrats have yet to interrupt their self-congratulation about civility by saying anything about the “Scott Walker is a new Hitler” rhetoric being kicked around outside the Capitol — which is really the tip of the iceberg in terms of nastiness — let’s also throw that in the mix. Quite a little political stew we have simmering here. Andrew Breitbart and tea partiers are set to hold a counterdemonstration in support of Walker tomorrow, but that too may be just the tip of the iceberg. Erpenbach says he and the other runaway Dems are willing to stay away for weeks, until Walker — and this is a real, actual quote — fulfills “his responsibility to bring the state together.” While union members outside Walker’s office screech about Nazism, a Democrat who fled the state rather than lose a vote is faulting Walker for dividing Wisconsin. And he’s doing it from an undisclosed location. Perfect.

As I write this, Ben Smith at Politico is touting a new poll showing that fully 64 percent think public employees shouldn’t be allowed to unionize. Meanwhile, Joe Klein — yes, Joe Klein — is scolding the Wisconsin Dems for running away from democracy and heralding a new “rebalancing” of union political power. Exit question: Who do you think is going to win this showdown, Walker or Obama?

Update (Ed): Obama had better hope that the answer to the exit question is himself. There is probably no path to the Presidency for a Democrat who loses Wisconsin — and he was in deep danger of doing that before this crisis erupted. If I were Obama, I’d be very leery of getting too deeply involved in this, especially on the losing side.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Scott Walker to President Obama:

“I won.”

gryphon202 on February 18, 2011 at 4:33 PM

That’s great.

INC on February 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Exit question: Who do you think is going to win this showdown, Walker or Obama?

The American people and Walker.
The power hungry leftist-statists and their greedy worker union accomplices have been exposed to the American people by Walker’s actions and its never going to be the same.
The leftists have blatantly demonstrated the lie to their “for the children” mantra. The kids go under the school bus along with everyone else when you threaten the taxpayer pot of gold the public unions have used to buy the democrats all these years.

chickasaw42 on February 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM

LOL the protesting libs at the Madison event are screaming “Fox Lies” while they are doing a live feed. Stupid libs.

carbon_footprint on February 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM

But…but….they have civility on their side….

tencole on February 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I think Walker wins. I think that a lot of people who might have some sympathy with the unions will be so turned off by this spectacle that they will feel disgust for the union’s behavior in all this.

Terrye on February 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Ok, outside agitator.

Grow Fins on February 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Too bad the outside agitators from OfA don’t seem to bother you as much. If not for them, Walker might actually be able to get sh!t done.

gryphon202 on February 18, 2011 at 4:46 PM

crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM

You’re funny when you’re mad.

Del Dolemonte on February 18, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Everyone = crr6 and the turd in her pocket.

BigWyo on February 18, 2011 at 4:48 PM

crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM

That would presumably include the right not to join a union if one did not want to. To not have to join a union to get a job. To be able to vote for or against a union in a secret ballot.

Wethal on February 18, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Indeed, the union leaders themselves have expressed a willingness to take cuts.

crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Have you ever belonged to a union?

Del Dolemonte on February 18, 2011 at 4:48 PM

tencole on February 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Oof! Of course we will see that being run on a loop on MSNBC and CNN, right?

carbon_footprint on February 18, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Wisconsin is currently a closed-shop state. Employers, including the state, can force you to join a union as a condition of employment. How that’s anywhere near “free choice” is beyond me.

gryphon202 on February 18, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Before now, I’ve been cautiously optimistic about our new Speaker of the House. But this was a wicked-good takedown.

Can I say it?

Boehner just gave me a Boehner.

beancounter on February 18, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Line in the sand, choose a side.

Bishop on February 18, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Bishop:Either,

Community Organizer Sh*t-Distruber,

or,

President of the United States of America!:)

canopfor on February 18, 2011 at 4:50 PM

It’s over. Chris Christie said so at AEI.

“the old playbook [which] says, “lie, deceive, obfuscate and make it to the next election.”

He’d seen a study that said New Jersey’s pensions may go bankrupt by 2020. A friend told him not to worry, he won’t be governor then. “That’s the way politics has been practiced in our country for too long. . . . So I said to those firefighters, ‘You may hate me now, but 15 years from now, when you have a pension to collect because of what I did, you’ll be looking for my address on the Internet so you can send me a thank-you note.’“

Exit question: Who do you think is going to win this showdown, Walker or Obama?

Hopefully the people who pay for these goons, the politicians and the union bosses, and Obama.

Public workers should never be allowed to strike nor to form unions. They eat the hand of those who feed them, the porksters.

Impertinence has reached the highest level in the U.S.

Schadenfreude on February 18, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I’m glad Boehner stopped standing around scratching them, and realized it was ok to take them out and start using them.

Good for him, more of it, and then take it inside, off the mike and start slashing away at spending/entitlements for real.

DrAllecon on February 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM

To those who love to cry about supposed collective bargaining rights, where are the rights for those who wish to serve the public but want to represent themselves? Why must they pay union dues and abide by union agreements? What about their rights?

MJBrutus on February 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM

AP, this is absolutely a perfect summation!!! Thanks.

The thugs don’t even realize their irony.

Schadenfreude on February 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I love the idea of sending Boehnor $10 every time he does something like this. If a lot of us do it it could add up quick for him. If other pols see it they might develop a backbone too! I’m gonna start this and name them Boehnor Bucks! (I better check on the spelling of his name)

CCRWM on February 18, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Beautiful statement.

Boehner, you magnificent weeping ba$tard!

UltimateBob on February 18, 2011 at 4:32 PM

UltimateBob:Lol…your baaaaaaaaaaaaad,haha!!

canopfor on February 18, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Ok, outside agitator.

Grow Fins on February 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM

LOL If the Weasels leave my state, I’ll leave their’s. And, I’m a cheesehead. Born in Wisconsin, but raised in Rockford. I think I have skin in this game.

Fallon on February 18, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Public sentiment is changing. There is a growing sense that public-sector unions are not battling for better, safer workplaces. They’re not battling unscrupulous employers. They’re battling … the common good.

Chicago Tribune Editorial Board

Schadenfreude on February 18, 2011 at 4:54 PM

…where are the rights for those who wish to serve the public but want to represent themselves? Why must they pay union dues and abide by union agreements? What about their rights?

MJBrutus on February 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Well this cuts to the heart of the matter. It’s not about “freedom” so much as it’s about maintaining the status quo.

gryphon202 on February 18, 2011 at 4:54 PM

While driving to the store today I asked my wife if she had kept of with what was going on in Wisconsin. She answered affirmatively and then stated that if a school had let our kids out and then bussed them somewhere out permission she would have sued their socks off. I must admit my jaw dropped about 6 inches. My lovely spouse is generally very low key.

chemman on February 18, 2011 at 4:55 PM

The president is actively weighing in on the side of the greedy — there is no other word for them — union bosses who refuse to relinquish what years of cozy relations with irresponsible politicians have dropped into their laps. That presidential obtuseness should serve as a wakeup call to the country.

It is a crucial moment for the country and the Democratic Party. Will the latter align itself against the former? Is the co-dependency between organized labor and the Democratic Party to be the demise of both? Stay tuned. But if you want to see grown-up leadership, watch which pols rise in defense of Gov. Walker.

Schadenfreude on February 18, 2011 at 4:55 PM

This kind of article is why I like Allahpundit despite his being a yellow-bellied RINO.

joe_doufu on February 18, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I’ve been reading this site since it’s inception and I still don’t get Allah being a RINO. Occasionally, he seems a little squishy, but an all-out, yellow-bellied RINO. . . I don’t see it.

Troy Rasmussen on February 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM

carbon_footprint on February 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM

LOL! Yeah I saw that dude. One of the big winners in the game of life. When given a mike and asked for him to support his case he just kept repeating the only 2 words he apparently knew.

MJBrutus on February 18, 2011 at 4:39 PM

I just saw that drooling goon. I hope someone unearths his name, I bet he doesn’t live in Wisconsin. Most of these folks look like the typical SEIU short-bus crowd.

slickwillie2001 on February 18, 2011 at 4:57 PM

My lovely spouse is generally very low key.

chemman on February 18, 2011 at 4:55 PM

A lot of parents, men and women alike, are low-key until their kids are involved. It tends to bring out one’s inner grizzly bear.

gryphon202 on February 18, 2011 at 4:57 PM

As I’ve said before, I really hope this is the beginning of a very thorough house cleaning.

Reality is poised to kick the Progressive/Liberal/Socialist/Commie/Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie ideology square in the a$$.

BigWyo on February 18, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Notice how all of these cuts are targeted with surgical precision at the political adversaries of Republicans (unions, planned parenthood…). How in the world is that “reform?”

crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I’m with Governor Walker, for the most part, on eliminating public unions (which is what he’s basically doing).

But it is pretty offensive that the unions that are exempt from the agreement are police, fire, state troopers, and investigators – wouldn’t you know it, those are the exact same unions that supported Scott Walker!

I mean, if you’re going to get mad at Obama for not intentionally trying to lose the 2012 election, you might as well get mad at Walker too.

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Obama’s lack of self control is going to cost him big this time. He has agitated the masses who have been resting since last November, and he has caused others to see him and his piggish entitlement class for what they are. Obama thinks that he will win in any confrontation, because causing confrontations is how he got to where he is. He has miscalculated this time.
As stated above: Walker and the American people will win.

GaltBlvnAtty on February 18, 2011 at 4:59 PM

chemman on February 18, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Children make us all go into “grizzly mama” mode. ROAR!

sicoit on February 18, 2011 at 4:59 PM

There needs to be a Reagan Firing Part Deux!
==============================================
[clipped for brevity]
canopfor on February 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM
Good stuff, but a goddam shame a canuck knows more about American history than most Americans seem to.

gryphon202 on February 18, 2011 at 4:44 PM

gryphon202:

Those were the evil MSM days when they were worried
Reagan was going to blow up the planet,with(SDI),
Ronald *RayGun* Reagan with the USSR!!:)

canopfor on February 18, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 4:58 PM

He knew he would need the police to round up the Democrat Senators. :)

WashJeff on February 18, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Fallon on February 18, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I think that’s fair!

Stay safe.

INC on February 18, 2011 at 5:02 PM

And Michael Medved still maintains that Obama is not EVIL and no different from the 40 odd Presidents that preceded him in office.

technopeasant on February 18, 2011

I just don’t get that Medved guy. He once compared Winonna Ryder with Saddam Hussein – asking on his radio show if she was as EVIL as him. So what is his standard?

JonPrichard on February 18, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I have to say, today has been one of the BEST days I’ve personally had in awhile. With all of the House defunds…..life is gettin betta! Keep it up you’re on a serious, wonderful roll! Just had to say that…. ;-)

sicoit on February 18, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Schadenfreude on February 18, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I worked as a teacher in a California District. One year they were talking about going on strike. The union asked the Science Department Union Rep to approach me to see if I was going to support the strike. I had to pay dues but wasn’t a member of the Union. I stated that I had signed a contract and would honor my contract. He then told me a little story about what had happened to someone in the last strike who crossed the picket line. A subtle threat! I reminded him that I taught chemistry and while I could repair my car if they took bats and knives to it the leaders would need new cars if I had to implement my chemical knowledge. He them tried a different tact about the possibility of thugs being a little hot headed. I reminded him that I had spent 10 years in the military and I reserved the right to use the amount of force necessary to defend myself and family up to and including lethal force. He then tried the peer pressure crap of nobody would be willing to talk or associate with me after the strike. I asked him if he though I really gave a f… about that. They decided I wasn’t a good target and left me alone.

chemman on February 18, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 4:58 PM

They weren’t the only public unions that supported Scott Walker — but most of those locals aren’t making big noises about paying half the national average towards their pensions.

gryphon202 on February 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Boehner has been brilliant, low key, soft spoken, waiting for the right time…the time is right, Obama is AWOL, he is not leading, and Boehner and the Republicans have taken the lead…watch for the shrieking of the MSM, until they start to realize the real poll numbers.
And I say the dems are back in their seat in WI by Tuesday…

right2bright on February 18, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I just don’t get that Medved guy.
JonPrichard on February 18, 2011 at 5:03 PM

He’s just an elitist. He’ll never understand or admit to the nature of the Left. It would put him among the ranks of Rush Limbaugh, he thinks.

rrpjr on February 18, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Ummm,I think it’s a little late to worry about obama getting involved.He is a community agitator and he is agitating in Wisconsin.He is showing his true self.

ohiobabe on February 18, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Who is going to win? Who has always won in the past? The unions/Dems. That’s why we’re in this position today. The Dems are usually better at political strategy. Remember, Wisconsin is a very liberal democratic state. They haven’t voted for a Republican for president since 1984. Obama looks to be doing the smart thing by intervening. My guess is someone in the Republican party, at the national level or at the state level will cave. Look for Scott Brown or Richard Lugar to say “we have to stop this impasse and meet them half way”. Then we’re sunk.

chris999 on February 18, 2011 at 5:09 PM

chemman on February 18, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I like you even more now.

Thank you for your spine and also for serving.

Thanks for fighting, in more ways than one.

They are generally all talk and no balls, the eunuchs of society. They have an Eunuch in Chief now.

Schadenfreude on February 18, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Boehner (R-Hell yeah! Rock me Daddy-O) is at his best when he’s spanking Obama. Now, where are the sub-poenas, Darrell Issa (R-Dark and Delicious)?

Fortunata on February 18, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Exit Answer: Walker.

Why? Because he can. It is just about persistence. How long can these folks abstain? Republicans could just do a standalone bill and be done with it.

antisocial on February 18, 2011 at 5:12 PM

They weren’t the only public unions that supported Scott Walker

gryphon202 on February 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I do know that all of the unions for which there was an exemption were unions that supported Walker. If you’re serious about cuts, then why exempt any of the unions?

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Down with ALL unions! (don’t be a hater, I live in TX) :-)

Brian on February 18, 2011 at 5:13 PM

And oh.. Boehner – Keep Ripping.

antisocial on February 18, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Obama total meltdown in the works.

albill on February 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM

JonPrichard on February 18, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Medved is a curious RINO indeed. I have never heard someone with so much contempt for the homeless. Not a big fan of teh gays either. Which is surprising since he fellates beltway elites at every opportunity.

Kataklysmic on February 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Schadenfreude on February 18, 2011 at 5:09 PM

It really is the difference in having principles and having preferences. Principles are worth dying for.

chemman on February 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM

CCRWM on February 18, 2011 at 4:52 PM
//><
That's a great idea,sorry I didn't think of it myself being that I am an ohiobabe!

ohiobabe on February 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Walker’s bill doesn’t keep teachers et al from negotiating contracts as a union. It only allows them to negotiate for salary, not bennies. That’s why they are yowling. That’s where the major hidden costs float. The unions have exploited that for decades. They allow lower wages(subject to taxpayer scrutiny) in order to gain budget busting bennies which either the average tax payer doesn’t understand or are disguised in the fine print and do not explain the long term devestation they create.

a capella on February 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Walker answered that. He said he couldn’t risk public safety if police or firemen went on strike. Besides, the public would probably not support it. As a politician you can’t be stupid.

chris999 on February 18, 2011 at 5:15 PM

devestation s/b devastation

a capella on February 18, 2011 at 5:16 PM

a capella on February 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Precisely. Naturally, the dishonest meme is that the bill bans collective bargaining. It doesn’t. And Obama was even more grossly dishonest, claiming the bill would hurt “firefighters and police and social workers.” Sickening.

rrpjr on February 18, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Excellent Speaker Boehner!

And Walker will win this.

fesofee on February 18, 2011 at 5:18 PM

chris999 on February 18, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I completely agree. Count on it.

rrpjr on February 18, 2011 at 5:18 PM

chris999 on February 18, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Public employees (including police) can’t collectively bargain in Virginia (I think Texas too?) and they haven’t had those problems there.

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 4:58 PM

ummmm pal, those unions in WI have historically supported the Republicans…keep it in context, don’t just pull something off some liberal website then run with it.
BTW, only 45% of the firefighters union is registered Republican, and they supported Obama in 2008.
When he was mayor he went to bat for the Firefighters, and installed a total communications system that ended up saving many lives and countless dollars. He took the lead, and the firefighters have been indebted to him since.
Like I said…read more then the garbage that is fed to you…but you won’t.

right2bright on February 18, 2011 at 5:19 PM

parenthood …). How in the world is that “reform?”
crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Shall I call you a waaahmbulance?

spinach.chin on February 18, 2011 at 5:20 PM

How one offers this sage, measured cautionary advice with a straight face is beyond me!
OF COURSE HE IS ALL IN! Been all in…going to stay all in. The only question is whether the MBM will report it …or offer well counseled advice. I can hear Fineman now…”I’d be careful…”
Wake the H up!

winston on February 18, 2011 at 5:21 PM

How in the world is that “reform?”
crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM

How in the world is ObamaScrooming “reform”?

Schadenfreude on February 18, 2011 at 5:22 PM

And…? Doesn’t that just reinforce my point further?

And they supported Walker in 10. And he’s supporting them right back. One hand washes the other.

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:22 PM

The iron is officially white hot.

BTW, the New Hampshire House passed a right to work bill.

forest on February 18, 2011 at 5:23 PM

wouldn’t you know it, those are the exact same unions that supported
Scott Walker!
I mean, if you’re going to get mad at Obama for not intentionally
trying to lose the 2012 election, you might as well get mad at Walker
too.
Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Walker said in an interview that, of the 314 unions representing those public workers, only 4 supported him in the election. The rest supported his opponent.

I’m just going by Walker’s own words, so take it for what it’s worth.

spinach.chin on February 18, 2011 at 5:24 PM

crr6
Keep laughing.

GaltBlvnAtty on February 18, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Kataklysmic on February 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Plus, I think he has got to be John McCain’s biggest fan. :(

tencole on February 18, 2011 at 5:25 PM

oooo ooooo

I wonder what Hillary’s thinking right about now.

Lothar on February 18, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Obama had better hope that the answer to the exit question is himself.

Ain’t gonna happen. Too many eyes on this now – including WI taxpayers…

ladyingray on February 18, 2011 at 5:29 PM

The very first question that should be asked of any of these sniveling cowards…”So what are your plans after public office?”

BigWyo on February 18, 2011 at 5:29 PM

The iron is officially white hot.

BTW, the New Hampshire House passed a right to work bill.

forest on February 18, 2011 at 5:23 PM

YAHOODY !
Any links for us to congratulate them ?

pambi on February 18, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Maybe the rest of you have seen this, but ‘the Boss’ has an incredible post about the salaries of these poor, practically destitute, oh so worried about their $$ security, administrators and teachers!

Obama meddling or not, these numbers, for a nine month job, are real eye openers. The numbers go on and on and on.

Whew!

marybel on February 18, 2011 at 5:30 PM

crr6
Keep laughing eating.

BigWyo on February 18, 2011 at 5:30 PM

forest on February 18, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Great. They need to put the dem governor on the spot, and on record. Wisconsin really needs right to work to give them a decent business climate. Right now they have a bad business climate and high taxes. The sad thing about the current bill is that it’s just a baby step – a whole lot more needs to be done in that state.

chris999 on February 18, 2011 at 5:30 PM

…but I do know that all of the unions for which there was an exemption were unions that supported Walker. If you’re serious about cuts, then why exempt any of the unions?

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I’d say the reason fire and police were excluded was to try to limit the demagogue-ability of the bill. You know, “Scott Walker hates children, cops, and he wants your house to burn down!111!”

forest on February 18, 2011 at 5:30 PM

crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM

They still have collective bargaining for their salaries, which I don’t have. They still pay more than half less than I do for my contribution toward benefits, which means, I am paying for their benefits as well as mine.

That is reform. And what does PP have to do with this? Nothing. One is a state issue, the other a federal issue. Even you are smart enough to understand that.

ladyingray on February 18, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Ok, outside agitator.

Grow Fins on February 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Unlike those non-WI citizen SEIU members in WI currently, and soon to be on their way to OH and TN…

We don’t want them here. We’re taking back our state!

ladyingray on February 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM

carbon_footprint on February 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Thank you FOX!!!! These greedy government unions are being exposed for all to see & Fox isn’t whitewashing or sugarcoating their message. Boo frikin’ Hoo.

redridinghood on February 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I just hope he can stay like this for the next 2 years and not cave.

BakerAllie on February 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I don’t think he will. As long as he is on the right side of the issues, he will have a following and support of the people. The people who do cave are the ones who have lost their followers and their support.

Mirimichi on February 18, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I’m really getting worried about this counter protest thing…. If anyone is hurt God forbid, then Obama is to blame. He is fomenting what might just turn out to be a full on riot.

Key West Reader on February 18, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Me too. I think the husband is going, but I don’t think I am going. It could get very, very nasty. Especially what I am reading just on FB.

wi farmgirl on February 18, 2011 at 5:35 PM

crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM

crr6, sure that upsets liberals, but why in the world do you think anyone on this site would take offense at the fact that Walker is targeting his enemies and rewarding his friends? That’s called politics.

chris999 on February 18, 2011 at 5:37 PM

What his constituents object to is his attempt to limit the collective bargaining rights of American workers. Again, it’s a political hit job, and when he’s called on it, he retreats behind the “fiscal responsibility” BS. Everyone sees through it.

crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM

At what point did ‘collective bargaining’ become a protected right under the US Constitution?

ladyingray on February 18, 2011 at 5:37 PM

How come the dem/lib/progressives are up in arms about Walker trying to make things a little more fair? Aren’t the demoncrats the party of “fairness”?

And of course Obama is sending in his team of rabid minions! That union money(and union thugs) is(are) what helped get him elected.

Sterling Holobyte on February 18, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Good luck to all you Wi counter protesters and stay safe. The rest of the country is relying on you. If I didn’t live a 20 hour drive away, I’d join you.

chris999 on February 18, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Everyone sees through it.

crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM

LOL everyone except the 64% who don’t.

A new poll from the Washington-based Clarus Group asked:

Do you think government employees should be represented by labor unions that bargain for higher pay, benefits and pensions … or do you think government employees should not be represented by labor unions?

A full 64% of the respondents said “no.”

WisCon on February 18, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Collecting bargaining for govt. workers is bs. I think Ed or someone already posted the FDR quote about how wrong it is. There aren’t adversaries across the table as in the case of private unions. The adversarial interest in this case – the taxpayer – is absent from the table!!

chris999 on February 18, 2011 at 5:42 PM

That talking point seems to be making the liberal talking point rounds, but Walker says: “There are 314 fire and police unions in the state. Four of them endorsed me. All the rest endorsed my opponent.”

Well talking about in terms of the number of unions is pretty fishy, I’d be more interested in the size of the unions that endorsed Walker over the other guy, Mettgar or whatever his name was, who cares, he’s a loser.

forest on February 18, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Yeah sorry teachers, you’re getting screwed but policemen aren’t because they play better in the sticks. I’m sure you understand.

P.S. I support Walker 110% here. I like what he’s doing, I just wish he extended it to the rest of the public employee unions. Virginia doesn’t have CBAs for public employees, and why would anyone want to live in some rapidly growing, efficiently run hellscape like that?

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:42 PM

That’s great. And now he’s continuing to help out the firefighters by letting them keep their CBA while he cuts the CBAs and effective eliminates the unions that don’t support him politically.Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:22 PM

He isn’t eliminating any unions. They can still negotiate on salaries, just not bennies.

a capella on February 18, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Also – am I the only that, whenever I hear about this controversy, thinks of the great Scott Walker, the singer from the 1960s from the Walker Bros who sang “The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore” and then put out four friggin’ spectacular solo albums afterward? He’s one of my all time favorite singers. What a talent.

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:42 PM

After 9/11 many states adopted “First Responder” rules which gives police & firefighters added protections because they put their lives on the line. If anyone deserves added protection is is police and fire. Not garbage men, or meter maids or park attendants or tree trimmers or janitors or _____ insert mundane job.

Note: These public sector union employees earn more for doing the same work performed by the private sector, but YOU get to pay their salaries and their union bosses and their benefits and their retirement and their perks.

I’m sick of it.

Key West Reader on February 18, 2011 at 5:47 PM

How in the world is that “reform?”

crr6 on February 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Why in the world do public sector workers deserve salaries, benefits, and bargaining rights far better than those available to private sector workers? Why should the private sector be forced to pay for this insanity? How is that “reform?”

steebo77 on February 18, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I will gladly take one of those jobs with the amended benefits, and I bet hundreds of thousands of laid off workers would too. I would love a job with a group healthcare plan and sick days.

wi farmgirl on February 18, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:19 PM

They can’t in Tennessee either, but that hasn’t stopped our new Governor from issuing a new bill….

ladyingray on February 18, 2011 at 5:47 PM

a capella on February 18, 2011 at 5:44 PM

That’s what’s happening now, but I believe the (intended) effect of that is to eventually drive the unions out of business.

Which would be fine, as far as I’m concerned. I hope that’s what happens. Who needs ‘em.

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I’m sick of it.

Key West Reader on February 18, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Well, I don’t, I live in Virginia! BOOM.

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:42 PM

P.S. I was agreeing with you. Extend to ALL public sector unions but exempt first responders..

Key West Reader on February 18, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Proud Rino on February 18, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Good song, great singer. Thanks for the memories.

Knucklehead on February 18, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Wouldn’t it be just delicious if any compromise turns out to be abolishing all public sector and not just teacher’s unions?

Key West Reader on February 18, 2011 at 5:51 PM