The Home of Hunter S. Thompson Brings You Justin Bieber, Political Pundit.

posted at 8:48 pm on February 16, 2011 by Jimmie Bise, Jr

Okay, I admit right up front that this isn’t a heavy story and that, normally, I could care less about the political opinions of pop stars. But, come on, folks. This is Justin Bieber we’re talking about here! We bloggers are a mercenary lot who’ll find reason to write about almost anything if it’ll bring us that sweet, sweet blog traffic.

But, lest you think I’ve completely cracked, I do have a more serious point. First, though, sit back and bask in the trenchant insight into deep policy issues Rolling Stone managed to pry from the 16 year-old singer.

“You guys are evil,” he jokingly tells Vanessa Grigoriadis in an upcoming interview with Rolling Stone. “Canada’s the best country in the world. We go to the doctor and we don’t need to worry about paying him, but here, your whole life, you’re broke because of medical bills. My bodyguard’s baby was premature, and now he has to pay for it. In Canada, if your baby’s premature, he stays in the hospital as long as he needs to, and then you go home.”

Despite Bieber’s belief in government-run health care, the teenage superstar insists he is non-partisan. “I’m not sure about the parties,” he says. “But whatever they have in Korea, that’s bad.”

The good news is that Bieber is pro-life, which puts him in the mix for a speaking slot at next year’s CPAC. The bad news is that Rolling Stone actually thinks anyone, anywhere, truly cares what Justin Bieber thinks about political parties, socialized medicine, or anything else beyond singing the word “baby” several times in a row.

Look, I get that we like to get inside the heads of entertainers we admire, but there really does have to be a limit. Rolling Stone, once upon a time, was a magazine that published real journalism from writers like Hunter S. Thompson, P.J. O’Rourke, and Lester Bangs. It was probably the go-to publication for details of the Patty Hearst abduction and its interview with Charles Manson in 1970 is one of the most chilling looks into a mind stuffed full of madness I’ve ever read. Now, thanks to the decline started by ardent progressive Jann Wenner, we just get a fluff interview with a 16 year-old kid on issues in which he has almost no knowledge or experience and wretched hacks like Matt Taibbi.

If nothing else, the Justin Bieber interview shows us what we lost. I’m actually sorry for it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Awww…hes adorable. And yea, he’s like a lot of 16 year olds when it comes to political stuff, he just doesn’t understand.

WaltzingMtilda on February 17, 2011 at 2:41 AM

My son’s the same age as Bieber-and he’s quite politically aware.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 17, 2011 at 2:51 AM

At least RS got him to change his toilet flush hairdo for the cover.

leftnomore on February 17, 2011 at 4:22 AM

RS operating on a credibility deficit for decades now decides to finish off its existence by taking in Teen Beat and 16. T

curved space on February 17, 2011 at 5:52 AM

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free …”

Let us select a handful of immigrants whom are intelligent enough to know that America has slowly absorbed the ways of socialists nations, so much so, that we are no longer the land of the free. Perhaps we should also change our constitution to include slander so we can shut down free speech as well?

kregg on February 17, 2011 at 6:38 AM

My bodyguard’s baby was premature, and now he has to pay for it.

So he is sitting on a couple hundred million, and if he took .01% (.0001) of what he makes, he could help his fellow man, his employee…That is like most of us giving someone $1.

right2bright on February 17, 2011 at 7:14 AM

Who cares what this flash in the pan says? In a few years he’ll be forgotten. Think ‘Bobby Sherman.’

zoyclem on February 17, 2011 at 7:30 AM

I’m sure he has to pay Canadian taxes on his US earnings. Perhaps his accountant hasn’t told him yet how much the government is taking.

darwin on February 17, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Vacuous.

csdeven on February 17, 2011 at 8:27 AM

real journalism from writers like Hunter S. Thompson

There’s an oxymoron.

Deanna on February 17, 2011 at 8:38 AM

It reminds me of a bit from one of Bobcat Goldthwait’s stand-up specials on HBO in the 80′s. Paraphrase made inaccurate by the lost of brain cells over decades to follow:

“Rolling Stone used to be about ‘rebellion’.” Now it’s stuff like, ‘Abe Vigotta paints!’”

ynot4tony2 on February 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Poor man’s Trainspotting.

angryed on February 16, 2011 at 10:01 PM

The movie, perhaps.

ernesto on February 17, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Whenever I need advice on weighty fiscal, political or foreign policy matters, ….

…I always seek out the youngest foreign rock star available!

………………..NOT!!!

landlines on February 17, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Not to diss the Biebs, who I don’t personally know, I don’t believe he’s ever had an original thought in his head. All of his ‘opinions’ can be fully explained by his upbringing:

Anti-Abortion:He’s raised by a Christian mother in a small town, going to church every week – apparantly she’s still very protective of him even now which is one reason why you’ve yet to see him in the tabloids.

Anti-American “you guys are evil”
Pro-Socialized Health Care
He’s Canadian- they’re conditioned to think that way (I should know, here in Toronto I hear knee-jerk anti-Americanism constantly)

CityFish on February 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Reminds me of my favorite 50′s TV show ……..

“Leave It To Bieber”

bannedbyhuffpo on February 17, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Justin Bieber is a complete blithering idiot who knows diddly and squat about anything outside of his haircut, much less about healthcare!

pilamaye on February 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Yeah, well, Justin, sweety, i notice you are not in Canada making all the big bucks. You need the good ol USA for that. So take your 14-year-old-girl looking self back to the Great White North. We’re not evil we’re just stupid for paying you to do whatever it is you do. I wouldnt call it singing, but that’s just me.

abcurtis on February 17, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Hey wait a minute. Isn’t your bodyguard EMPLOYED by you, Justin? So, why does he not qualify for health care benefits from Justin Bieber Corporation? Oh, I see. When it comes to a premature baby it’s the governments responsibility to flip the bill for all those medical costs. This guy shouldn’t get PAID by one of the richest teeny-bop singer enough to cover the costs.

Let me point out something your handlers haven’t educated you on. Government doesn’t create anything. Government doesn’t create wealth. Government, when it comes to money, is merely a funnel of money from one sector to the other. Bottom line? All those evil hard working middle class folks are paying so YOU can go to the emergency room when someone throws a bottle at your head an are paying for your bodyguards premature baby…instead of a multi-millionaire punk 16-year-old who can afford it a thousand times over.

Educate yourself son!

Sultry Beauty on February 17, 2011 at 2:04 PM

abcurtis on February 17, 2011 at 11:53 AM

…almost choked on my apple pie when I read that.

Geez Loiuse, now our country has two American -hating singing idols , one bitter old anti-capitalist fart (Neil Young), and a wet-behind-the-ears teeny bopper who by next year will be having a “round-of-chairs” meeting accompanied by the Jonas Brothers and Hanson.

GOOD Grief!!!! He is from Stratford, Ontario, LOL I was working there yesterday !

cableguy615 on February 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM