Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on February 15, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

See Update II below.

In introducing his sloppy, bloated cheeseburger of a budget yesterday, Barack Obama’s speech reveals more than one might think. While speaking to the Center for Technology in Baltimore, Obama mentioned the word “cut” a grand total of twice three times:

That’s why, when I was sworn in as President, I pledged to cut the deficit in half by the end of my first term. The budget I’m proposing today meets that pledge -– and puts us on a path to pay for what we spend by the middle of the decade. We do this in part by eliminating waste and cutting whatever spending we can do without.

As I start — as a start, I’ve called for a freeze on annual domestic spending over the next five years. This freeze would cut the deficit by more than $400 billion over the next decade, bringing this kind of spending — domestic discretionary spending — to its lowest share of our economy since Dwight Eisenhower was President.

How many times did Obama mention “invest” or “investments” — in other words, new spending?  Six Four times as often (12).  And how many times did Obama say “win the future”?  Five times, all of them tied to Obama’s desire to “invest,” and four in the final two paragraphs:

What’s true for Brenda’s family is true for the larger American family: Education is an investment that we need to win the future — just like innovation is an investment that we need to win the future; just like infrastructure is an investment that we need to win the future. And to make sure that we can afford these investments, we’re going to have to get serious about cutting back on those things that would be nice to have but we can do without.

That’s what families across the country do every day –- they live within their means and they invest in their family’s futures. And it’s time we did the same thing as a country. That’s how we’re going to get our fiscal house in order. That’s how we’ll grow our economy and attract new jobs to our shores. And that’s how America we will win the future in the 21st century.

We’re going to “get our fiscal house in order” by “investing” six four times as often as cutting?  Dude … that’s a real WTF moment.

Update: The word “cut” appears three times, not two, as HA reader Matt W pointed out.

Update II: It looks like I may have searched on “cuts” rather than “cut”.  There are actually eleven instances of the form of the word “cut”, still one less than forms of the word “invest,” but more than two or three.  Jeff D pointed out my search error in an e-mail.

Comments

Winning The Future Winning The Future Winning The Future Winning The Future Winning The Future… some people just don’t appreciate great oratory.

Drained Brain on February 15, 2011 at 8:10 AM

WTF?

Dingbat63 on February 15, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Color me stupid, but I just don’t get his Win the Future slogan. Win what? Our future contains debt out the wazoo and more multi-culti until there is no more America as we knew it. Why would we want to win that?

Kissmygrits on February 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM

It’s called: robbing Peter to pay Paul. We’re Peter.

kingsjester on February 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Of course. In unseen the future, this strategy of investing will bring us magical money machines that will suddenly appear and take care of everything. And those machines will be called the Chinese…..

apostic on February 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM

The thing is, I remember a time when there was no doubt that the United States would “win the future” so this new slogan just doesn’t make any good sense to me.

myrenovations on February 15, 2011 at 8:16 AM

The budget I’m proposing today meets that pledge

you lie!

cmsinaz on February 15, 2011 at 8:17 AM

We’re going to “get our fiscal house in order” by “investing” six times as often as cutting? Dude … that’s a real WTF moment.

LMAO… Money line

Keemo on February 15, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Barry must have consulted this youtube video while coming up with his budget.

mizflame98 on February 15, 2011 at 8:20 AM

LMAO… Money line

Keemo on February 15, 2011 at 8:19 AM

True dat.

apostic on February 15, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Nice piece and I agree it’s a terrible budget … but to be fair I think you missed a “cutting” in the final two paragraphs where you highlight the stupid, idiotic “winning the future” slogan. (I wonder if he thinks that if he repeats it enough times we’ll like it better? Not working!)

[[ … And to make sure that we can afford these investments, we’re going to have to get serious about cutting back on those things that would be nice to have but we can do without.

lizzieillinois on February 15, 2011 at 8:20 AM

win the future is getting pretty old, real quick…

cutting 400 billion in the next decade, but he’s going to raise it 3 times that much in this next year…

does not compute…

cmsinaz on February 15, 2011 at 8:21 AM

…just like innovation is an investment that we need to win the future

WTF does that even mean? Innovation is not an investment, even by Obama’s bogus definition of the word.

forest on February 15, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Odamna: Tell ‘em what they think they want to hear… Then do whatever the heck you want. Words mean nothing. Power is everything.

Our rights, our history, our future are being replaced before our very eyes.

Sheesh.

Crusader Rabbit on February 15, 2011 at 8:22 AM

WTF?

Dingbat63 on February 15, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Yes , WTF!

the_nile on February 15, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Four hundred billion in cuts over a decade, 1.6 trillion deficit next year. Why does he think we’re stupid?

JimK on February 15, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Why does he think we’re stupid?

JimK on February 15, 2011 at 8:25 AM

He got elected , that’s why.

the_nile on February 15, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Instead of “Winning the Future” how about we deal with the present?

Beaglemom on February 15, 2011 at 8:30 AM

What’s true for Brenda’s family…

Democrats always have some story of some person somewhere that we must help or emulate. Republicans should try that strategy.

It’s called: robbing Peter to pay Paul. We’re Peter.

kingsjester on February 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM

“The government that robs Peter to pay Paul can count on the continued support of Paul.” – famous quote

Kafir on February 15, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Editorials
The Cynical & Unrealistic White House Budget – Wall Street Journal
Obama’s Budget a Good Starting Point – New York Times
The Punter-in-Chief – Washington Post
A Budget That Ducks Tough Choices – USA Today

via realclearpolitics, judging from these titles, the nyt is the only one who believes in dear leader….

cmsinaz on February 15, 2011 at 8:32 AM

OK, maybe Dear Liar Himself doesn’t know what WTF means. But surely He’s had strategy sessions with staffers (who may have then delegated items to lower level staffers) and somebody must have picked up on WTF. Is no one in the WH aware of WTF? Are they all that out of touch, or is it that this is The Whine’s own slogan and no one dare challenge Him? Either answer does not bode well for this country. Much like this budget. It’s unserious.

rbj on February 15, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Limbaugh talked about all the new taxes yesterday. They’re going to kick my family’s butt. Once you think you’ve made it, the government is there to take it.

hawkdriver on February 15, 2011 at 8:38 AM

rbj on February 15, 2011 at 8:33 AM

I think they may have a situation where people just nod along in agreement because they are afraid to say anything. Jarrett or some other higher-up will send them out with the trash if they get contrary about an awesome idea like the “WTF” slogan.

forest on February 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM

OK if we’re in this mess because Bush ran an average deficit of 300 bil(aprox) while fighting two wars why do we have to add an average of 1.1 trillion to get us out of Bush’s mess.Bush let all spending cross his desk so he could fund those 2 wars. When history writes of bo he will go down as the worst joke ever pulled on the USA.

tim c on February 15, 2011 at 8:43 AM

kingsjester on February 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Its a nice arrangement for Paul. Nice new smartphone, nice new 1080 HD TV, nice new surround sound. All with Peter’s “investment” into Paul’s future…nice, really nice.

jbh45 on February 15, 2011 at 8:43 AM

I equate it with the “winning life’s lottery” mindset….

golfmann on February 15, 2011 at 8:47 AM

You know during the 2008 campaign. Obama said that he would go through the budget line by line and use a scapel not an axe on the budget.

He didn’t say anying about using a pocket knife…

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Not sure why everyone seemed to step over this part:

Now please explain to me how the budget he proposes for 2012 (his last year of first and only term) in any way cuts the deficit, let alone in half.

katablog.com on February 15, 2011 at 9:00 AM

He didn’t say anying about using a pocket knife…

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 8:52 AM

He’s using a spork.

csdeven on February 15, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Bush let all spending cross his desk so he could fund those 2 wars.

Bush had Democrats in charge (those that write the spending bills) the last 2 years when the spending went crazy. Some of that was the hair-brain scheme of Paulson to bail out the banks, who are currently making record profits.

katablog.com on February 15, 2011 at 9:03 AM

POTUS’s “WTF” is the Ford Edsel of political slogans…

Khun Joe on February 15, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Actually, in that first paragraph, the word “cut” is used three times, not twice.

You Republicons are always lying about the President!

:D

Nethicus on February 15, 2011 at 9:09 AM

win the future is getting pretty old, real quick…

cmsinaz on February 15, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Damn! And I still have a whole box of Whip Inflation Now buttons from the seventies. They’re somewhere under my “Yes, we can” T-shirts and mini Greek column keychains. I’ll never get rid of this stuff!

SKYFOX on February 15, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Lol skyfox

cmsinaz on February 15, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Ronald Reagan: I’ve spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don’t know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That’s how I saw it and see it still…

The One: Win The Future

We’ve come a long way, baby.

JetBoy on February 15, 2011 at 9:13 AM

We’ve come a long way, baby.

JetBoy on February 15, 2011 at 9:13 AM

We have, but I don’t think “down” was the direction most of us had in mind.

SKYFOX on February 15, 2011 at 9:20 AM

GOOD NEWS!!!!! He’s going to have a press conference!!

Cindy Munford on February 15, 2011 at 9:24 AM

I counted three occurrences of “cut” but whatever…
The proposed budget reductions, from what I have seen on “the noos,” are designed to kill jobs, kill reeducation and retraining efforts, and are designed to be election bombs against Republicans rather than realistic and honest efforts to grow the economy.
This budget effort of the Ø is really weak and craven, designed to harm rather than improve. He has been running for reelection since January 20, 2009.

ExpressoBold on February 15, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Logic and math fail. While the “0″ went to school (?) he sure wasn’t educated. When he took office the deficit was about 450 billion. That means at the end of his first term it should be about 225 billion. His current budget predicts 26 trillion in deficits over the next ten years or an average of 2.6 trillion per year. That is a doubling of his current deficits. Doubling (2X) of halving (1/2x) the budget only have one thing in common they both have a 2 in them. I guess that is what passes for self-esteem math.

chemman on February 15, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Barry must have consulted this youtube video while coming up with his budget.

mizflame98 on February 15, 2011 at 8:20 AM

lulz

Shy Guy on February 15, 2011 at 9:38 AM

It’s called: robbing Peter to pay Paul. We’re Peter.

kingsjester on February 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM

and he’s stroking us

darwin-t on February 15, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Time to whip out those old WIN buttons!!

teacherman on February 15, 2011 at 9:44 AM

forest on February 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Narcissists and dictators do not like to be challenged.

rbj on February 15, 2011 at 9:47 AM

ExpressoBold on February 15, 2011 at 9:24 AM

It’s also what they’ve ben hanging on to the unspent Stimulus dollars on.

darwin-t on February 15, 2011 at 9:48 AM

1. Ratchet spending up into the stratosphere.
2. Freeze it there.
3. ????
4. I won, so shut up he explained.

BigWyo on February 15, 2011 at 9:55 AM

BHO is so proud of Win-The-Future that he just doesn’t give a WTF about what WTF means. After all, he has invested in WTF T-shirts. His entire term is going to be a big WTF moment. He really doesn’t care about WTF we think. So hey, WTF!

Yoop on February 15, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Simple really. Cut the deficit by spending. Where does this money come from? Us. In the form of more, and or higher taxes. Who does this money go to? Well Jeff Immelt, and unions of course.

Why do you think those workers at GM got bonuses? You don’t really think that they earned that…do you? I’d say it’s more a way to buy some votes, and support…using our tax dollars.

Immelt will just open his arms, and let the tax dollars flow into his wallet. Just like all the stockholders. They’ve lost their morals, integrity, and honesty. They know Immelt is a crook, but as long as they’re wallets are padded, even with tax dollars…they’re willing to look the other way.

All this investment crap means is…he’ll enrich his buddies, and we’ll get our social justice, by having to beg for a peanut on the sidewalk.

Win the Future? Sounds like he was inspired by The X Files.

capejasmine on February 15, 2011 at 10:17 AM

So, tell me if I got this straight….

He wants to steal $100, but only will steal $80, so thats a $20 cut in his stealing.

Only in Obamanomics.

AverageJoe on February 15, 2011 at 10:38 AM

This is not an Obamateurism. This is a core value.

Pablo Snooze on February 15, 2011 at 10:39 AM

So, Mr. Win-The-Future Genius, how is spending $800 Billion on Stimulus that doesn’t stimulate and $1 Trillion on health care that doesn’t care for health and using OUR money to buy GM and Chrysler living within our means?

If we “freeze” spending at bloated levels that quadrupled the Bush deficits, how does that “cut” anything? Even if the deficit were cut from $1.8 Trillion to $1.4 Trillion by 2021, that’s still triple the last Bush deficit !

It’s called: robbing Peter to pay Paul. We’re Peter.

kingsjester on February 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM

It’s time for all the Peters to stand up! We’re getting screwed…

Steve Z on February 15, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Winning the Future?
The Future will kick our ass…
The way ‘Bam wants it.

Haiku Guy on February 15, 2011 at 11:48 AM

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 8:52 AM

I remember yelling at John McCain to ask him if he had stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

You know:
McCain:Have you ever performed economic surgery before?
Obama: No.
McCain: Have you ever made any executive decisions before?
Obama: No.
McCain: Have you ever played an Executive on TV?
Obama: No.
McCain: So why should we trust you to cut government spending in a responsible manner?
Obama: Well, I did stay at ….

rwenger43 on February 15, 2011 at 12:30 PM

FY 2008 deficit about $440 billion
FY 2009 deficit about $1.4 trillion
So, which was the deficit when he came in? And if he is going to cut the deficit by 1/2 by the end of his first (and hopefully last) term, will the deficit be $700 billion or $220 billion? I have yet to see anything that shows his deficits going below $1 trillion. So how is he on track to meet his “goal”?
Cutting by $400 billion over 10 years is nowhere close. Give me a break!

duggersd on February 15, 2011 at 12:56 PM

WTF or STFU

it’s all this with Obama.

President Obama flubs “lowest sh**” when he meant to say “lowest share.”

OBAMA: “.. bring annual domestic spending to its lowest sh** — lowest share to the economy since Dwight Eisenhower.”

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Yeah, Bawawahahahahaha! From 1.3 trillion when you entered office to 14 trillion now. You’re gonna cut it back to 7 trillion???? Gee, thanks Mr. President.

Susanboo on February 15, 2011 at 2:12 PM

hawkdriver on February 15, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Congratulations- You’ve won the future!
To collect, just bend over and grab your ankles.

justltl on February 15, 2011 at 4:36 PM