Here we go: House GOP vows to tackle entitlements in new budget

posted at 5:35 pm on February 15, 2011 by Allahpundit

Ryan’s hour has come.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA), Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), Conference Chairman Jeb Hensarling (R-TX), and Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-WI) issued the following statement after President Obama’s press conference today:

“The American people are ready to get serious about tackling our fiscal challenges, but President Obama’s budget fails to lead. The President’s budget punts on entitlement reform and actually makes matters worse by spending too much, taxing too much, and borrowing too much – stifling job growth today and threatening our economic future.

“The President says that he wants to win the future, but we can’t win the future by repeating the mistakes of the past or putting off our responsibilities in the present. Our budget will lead where the President has failed, and it will include real entitlement reforms so that we can have a conversation with the American people about the challenges we face and the need to chart a new path to prosperity. Our reforms will focus both on saving these programs for current and future generations of Americans and on getting our debt under control and our economy growing. By taking critical steps forward now, we can fulfill the mission of health and retirement security for all Americans without making changes for those in or near retirement. We hope the President and Democratic leaders in Congress will demonstrate leadership and join us in working toward responsible solutions to confront the fiscal and economic challenges before us.”

Stephen Hayes has the lowdown on behind-the-scenes wrangling between Ryan, who wanted to tackle entitlements in the budget and was supported by GOP freshmen, and other members worried about alienating seniors right before a presidential election. Money graf:

Several Republicans said the decision to embrace entitlement reform came for two reasons. First, the problem is too big to be ignored. And, second, the failure of the White House to engage on entitlements in any way, even with the political cover provided by Obama’s deficit commission, created a political opportunity for Republicans to point out a “failure of leadership.” (Expect to hear that phrase a lot in the coming weeks.)

I take it, then, that there really isn’t a “grand bargain” being drawn up. If they’re going to call Obama gutless for not tackling entitlements — which he is — then he can’t very well turn around and make a deal with the GOP on Social Security and Medicare. It’d look like a total cave; his base would go nuts. Better for him to stay away and accuse Republicans during the campaign of wanting to raid granny’s bank account because they hate old people or whatever. Because, see, that’s what a leader who’d ostensibly rather be a great one-term president than a mediocre two-termer would do. He’d duck the biggest issue of his time, then demagogue the hell out of it for electoral gain. That’s what Lincoln would do, no?

In other budget news, it’s apparently quite a revelation that our unsustainable federal government may see a few layoffs before the books are balanced. Alert the media. For your viewing pleasure, here’s Ryan from today’s budget hearing politely inquiring of White House Budget Director Jack Lew whether he occupies the same sphere of reality as the rest of us.

Comments

Good.

But why did he have to say there will not be a shutdown?

angryed on February 15, 2011 at 5:38 PM

“Their defenses are broken, let the slaughter begin!” – Megatron

livefreerdie on February 15, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Never happen.

albill on February 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Watch forthe “T” word

Neither party has put forward specific proposals to begin grappling with the most pressing long-term budget problem: the huge costs in the Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security programs as the population ages and medical costs rise, a bill that could overwhelm the government and crimp the economy if not addressed

William Amos on February 15, 2011 at 5:42 PM

believe in the americsn people. do it.

rob verdi on February 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I don’t care if you are a candy-ass Rino, AP. You put on a free Master’s level snark clinic daily.

Kataklysmic on February 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM

This will be a repeat of the tax cuts in December. The GOP will press him and he will fold faster than a Chinese laundry.

Chuck Schick on February 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Thank God. Sanity. Do it now. We are as close as we will ever come to the American people being ready for this to happen. Next stop is collapse if we do not get it under control right now.

Show the leadership that Obama so sorely lacks.

Show that there are some still willing to put the good of the nation ahead of personal ambition.

Lay it on the table and take the votes.

ginaswo on February 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM

nice spelling

rob verdi on February 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Trickle Down Federal Government

(BTW thought Romney Care fixed Mass Healthcare ?)

Stimulus funds have provided full- or part-time paychecks to 71,000 Massachusetts residents through Dec. 31, while also providing extended unemployment benefits to more than 663,000 people and job counseling services to 132,000 seeking work, according to figures provided by the recovery and reinvestment office.

The funding has gone toward everything from highway reconstruction projects to weatherizing of thousands of homes. The lion’s share of the funding, however, has come in two areas: Medicaid reimbursement and education, the report said.

The state has received more than $3.1 billion above and beyond the normal federal reimbursement for Medicaid, an area where spending has been growing more rapidly than the state’s ability to rein in costs.

William Amos on February 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Believe it when I see it.

rjl1999 on February 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM

8-track tapes, the barter currency in the new world order.

And to think people called me dumb for hoarding them, well who’s laughing now?

Bishop on February 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM

livefreerdie on February 15, 2011 at 5:39 PM

You’ve got the touch. You’ve got the power.

lorien1973 on February 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Harry Reid is mumbling about a shutdown now.

Call his bluff GOP.

As the recovering Democrat on the board, let me tell you, we are SOO READY to shut this mutha down. Do it.

When we survive the shutdown we will see the cuts can be made.

The Tea Party has been begging for a shut down since I held my first sign up 4/15/09.

ginaswo on February 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I don’t understand the GOP’s gutlessness. Lead; don’t follow.

You grandfather the elderly down to a certain age. Then refashion the system for those under that age.

The choice? Much less or nothing down the road.

BuckeyeSam on February 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM

This is sounding more and more like the newspaper headline from Atlas Shrugged: “John Galt Promises Prosperity.”

Once again, I’m eager to see the Republicans actually, you know, put a proposal on the table and push it through, not tell us what we’re going to see on some un-named future day.

We’ve heard this long enough. Get to it, “servants of the people.” Osama Obama isn’t waiting for you….

MrScribbler on February 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I’m 46. Raise social security age for me & younger to 72.

rbj on February 15, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I’m pretty sure I saw someone who looked just like Jack Lew down at Jackson Square in New Orleans some time back. He had a little table, three shells, a pea, a fast line of patter, and unbelievably quick hands. Same guy?

a capella on February 15, 2011 at 5:48 PM

1:35 is essentially the main point: Ryan asking how do you expect an explosion of growth when you’re holding businesses down by raising taxes across the board?

Lew’s Answer (2:40): Hey, we’re only taxing the rich.

When all you have is a hammer…

LastRick on February 15, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I want to believe. Really I do.

portlandon on February 15, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I want to believe. Really I do.

portlandon on February 15, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Me too … I just hope I don’t have to click my heels together three times.

darwin on February 15, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Because when we did do that, we got our arse’s kicked, kicked real hard by the demagoguery of the dems…it took years to recover and lost elections.

right2bright on February 15, 2011 at 5:56 PM

But why did he have to say there will not be a shutdown?

angryed on February 15, 2011 at 5:38 PM

right2bright on February 15, 2011 at 5:56 PM
There, the quote makes it work…

right2bright on February 15, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Lew’s Answer (2:40): Hey, we’re only taxing the rich.

or, to paraphrase: Clinton was the awesome. The fact that he lucked into being president during the internet boom and cooked the books for the last year he was in office surely makes everything about him golden.

joeindc44 on February 15, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I’m just not buying it.

JavelinaBomb on February 15, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Bishop on February 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM

livefreerdie on February 15, 2011 at 5:39 PM
You’ve got the touch. You’ve got the power.

lorien1973 on February 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Who is out Rodimus Prime?

TheVer on February 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM

our

TheVer on February 15, 2011 at 6:03 PM

It’s good to see Ryan got some reinforcements. This should have been dealt with 6 years ago when the Disability Insurance had just started slipping beneath the waves and the Old-Age and Survivors Insurance was still flying high (and indeed, setting records for fund growth).

steveegg on February 15, 2011 at 6:03 PM

I’m 46. Raise social security age for me & younger to 72.

rbj on February 15, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Means testing should also be on the table except the present f**ked up financial/tax enviorment means retirement investment returns
can’t carry the load as they could in the past. Then, there is also the huge forthcoming inflationary bite, thanks to Helicopter Ben, which, of course, also hits nonretirees.

a capella on February 15, 2011 at 6:04 PM

THEN DEFUND OBAMACARE NOW you spineless $100 billion a year in “cuts” Congressional “leaders”.

Fiddling while Rome burns and the Emperor just throws more gasoline on the fiscal inferno.

PappyD61 on February 15, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Natalie Wood as the annoying little girl in Miracle on 34th street…”I believe, I believe, I believe…”

JAM on February 15, 2011 at 6:08 PM

IF they were serious about restoring fiscal integrity to the U.S. they would CLOSE/SEAL/SHUT the U.S. Border with Mexico.

Until you stop the flood of illegals coming over for the Benefits Candy they can get like Social Security and Welfare and all the other goodies we’ll never fix the mess we’re in.

THAT is why we have the PAPPY PLAN.

1. Seal the border.

2. Cut all federal spending across the board 10%.

FAIR and easily understandable.

Pass it in the HOUSE and force the Senate to vote it down.

PappyD61 on February 15, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I’m 46. Raise social security age for me & younger to 72.

rbj on February 15, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I’m 60. Do what needs to be done. Just take care of those now existing solely on ss.

Rod on February 15, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Did you see Jake Tapper reporting that Obama has threatened to veto this year’s budget?

MayBee on February 15, 2011 at 6:09 PM

8-track tapes, the barter currency in the new world order.

And to think people called me dumb for hoarding them, well who’s laughing now?

Bishop on February 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM

LOL!

I got some Credence, Some BTO, Savoy Brown, & George Jones 8-tracks.

Let’s Roll.

portlandon on February 15, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Color me skeptical, but I doubt much [meaningful] cuts will happen.

modnar on February 15, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Economy Flight 666 – Our One-Way Ticket To Zimbabwe

Congressman Ryan is working to solve it. As much as I like, admire and respect Representative Ryan – I have to say: He epitomizes Walker’s illustration of our biggest deficit. He does not have the economic vision to see the picture and he is therefore stunted from forming a dynamic and cohesive plan that will solve our problems.
[...]
Bernanke is by definition a weak link. Obama should have fired him. He and Greenspan created the housing bubble. They deserve no rewards for ordering a 10.4 trillion dollar carpet to sweep their mess under in order to hide and prolong the disaster. Paul Ryan should have used this opportunity to publicly condemn the man and demand the idiot’s resignation.
[...]
We can’t get to a stable monetary system stuck on this flight to hell. I am deeply saddened that Paul Ryan won’t be a good leader until after he learns from this colossal failure.

Alas…

Rae on February 15, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Lew’s Answer (2:40): Hey, we’re only taxing the rich.

joeindc44 on February 15, 2011 at 5:58 PM

So sick of the canard that during Clinton’s time we had higher tax rates and managed to have growth. Why doesn’t anyone ever say in response to that statement, Why don’t we go back to the spending of the Clinton era then? What were the percentages of debt to GDP and revenue to GDP back then? Not what it is now.

txmomof6 on February 15, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I’m 51. Do what you have to do.

Fallon on February 15, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Talking Points in OverDrive!
================================

“Mandate”

“Priorities”

“Mandatory Savings”

“Sustainable”

“Down Payment Acknowlegement”

“Tax Rate at the Top End”

“Long Period of UnInterrupted Growth in American History”

canopfor on February 15, 2011 at 6:20 PM

The Right:
********** Living in Reality!

The Left:
********* Utopian Social Justice Masquerade ala Ruse!!

canopfor on February 15, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Dedicated to the UnReasonAble!
=================================

Styx – Grand Illusion

canopfor on February 15, 2011 at 6:25 PM

8-track tapes, the barter currency in the new world order.

And to think people called me dumb for hoarding them, well who’s laughing now?

Bishop on February 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM

LOL!

I got some Credence, Some BTO, Savoy Brown, & George Jones 8-tracks.

Let’s Roll.

portlandon on February 15, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Will Led Zeppelin IV be the new gold standard?

steveegg on February 15, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Our reforms will focus both on saving these programs for current and future generations of Americans and on getting our debt under control blah blah blah…

Guess I’m a cynic, but that there is the heart of the whole matter.

DON’T SAVE THE FRIGGIN’ PROGRAMS!!!!!!

txhsdad on February 15, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Obamas plan:

Green energy + high speed rail = economic boom -> soak the rich -> crisis solved.

WisCon on February 15, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I got some Credence, Some BTO, Savoy Brown, & George Jones 8-tracks.
Let’s Roll.
portlandon on February 15, 2011 at 6:09 PM

You should sell them to me. Seriously.

Bishop on February 15, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I’m pushing 60. Do what you have to do to Rod and Fallon. :-)

Peri Winkle on February 15, 2011 at 6:31 PM

I’m not 46 or 50 or 60 and I say do what has to be done, but do it equally. The younger generations will come to power one fine day and they might just decide to let the oldsters rot for what they did, and they would be justified in doing so.

Fix it now or have it fixed for us later under very different and more unfavorable circumstances. I’ll do without if it means my younglings won’t have to suffer to pay my bills.

Bishop on February 15, 2011 at 6:32 PM

President Barack Obama on Wednesday threatened to veto a House Republican effort to slash about $100 billion from this year’s budget – a largely symbolic move meant as a warning to Republicans seeking to extract big new spending cuts from the White House.

William Amos on February 15, 2011 at 6:35 PM

I’ve sunk several hundred thousand dollars into FICA already. I would gladly forego any and all payout if they would just stop taxing me NOW.

Peri Winkle on February 15, 2011 at 6:35 PM

People who need entitlements from the all powerful government are not citizens of said state. They are slaves to it.

Turn it all off. Shut it all down. The new world order is that you get nothing.

tjexcite on February 15, 2011 at 6:38 PM

HOPE all you want, they ain’t gonna CHANGE.

But they will snipe from the sidelines – ’cause you’re picking on the old people and old people vote. It just remains to be seen if old people are also stupid enough to believe in Barry and Company.

GarandFan on February 15, 2011 at 6:38 PM

The missus and I are in our mid-fifties, and don’t exactly live like Lords of the Manor. I have no idea how we’d get along at, *ahem*, “retirement”, but we’ve got to take off the blinders and/or rose-colored glasses and start doing a severe makeover of the entitlements programs. I know there’s gonna be pain in this, but we set ourselves up for it over many decades.

bandarlog on February 15, 2011 at 6:41 PM

I’m 46. Raise social security age for me & younger to 72.

rbj on February 15, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I’m 41. End the system for everyone my age and younger. Allow everyone my age and older the freedom to opt out of the system, now. Pay the balance of the obligations out of what’s left from the fund, including the IOU’s if you must, until it’s gone, to those who chose to remain in the system. Once the fund is depleted, all payments cease.

TexasDan on February 15, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Mark Halprin must be crying in a corner somewhere. He’s been so sure that Barry was going to be serious about the fiscal mess for months & months, he just needed a serious partner, aka Paul Ryan & co., as a dance partner. He looked a little down this morning on Morning Joe, but was still trying to believe. I wonder what happens when the believing stops? Will he go Sully?

lizzie beth on February 15, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Kataklysmic on February 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM

AP is the Rocky Balboa of cleaver snark.

“He eats politics and craps snark!”

csdeven on February 15, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Bishop

I agree.

And was wondering if you might also be interested in my vegetable crates of vinals?

Rod on February 15, 2011 at 6:52 PM

The press and Barry can hardly wait for the Rs to impale themselves on this issue. They have their headlines already written…hell they have the stories mostly written.

Rs are Evil…Barry is our protector

There is only one way to save the R party….name the bill SAVE S/S For the YOUNG

r keller on February 15, 2011 at 6:55 PM

btw, the presser that the Obama guy did for the budget talked about this.

He said SS will be in SURPLUS for five or ten years…which is TRUE.

DON’T JUMP OFF THE CLIFF, PAUL

r keller on February 15, 2011 at 6:57 PM

hear it last night on fox, and it bears repeating.

obama really is all about the status quo.

still waiting for him to deliver my unicorn.

DrW on February 15, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Skittles and Rainbows too.

csdeven on February 15, 2011 at 7:01 PM

rbj on February 15, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Heck, I’m 59 and would accept the same thing. I don’t know if the rest of hind quarters of the baby boom would accept but we have to do something different.

chemman on February 15, 2011 at 7:18 PM

r keller on February 15, 2011 at 6:57 PM

If they are cashing in the so called IOU’s already, which they are, then it isn’t in surplus.

chemman on February 15, 2011 at 7:20 PM

THAT is why we have the PAPPY PLAN.

1. Seal the border.

2. Cut all federal spending across the board 10%.

FAIR and easily understandable.

Pass it in the HOUSE and force the Senate to vote it down.

PappyD61 on February 15, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I’m with Pappy!
PLUS:

Take the SSI fund away fro the politicians and allow only SSI payments.

Reform the SSI disability rules.
Make the Obestities get skinny by not payin em to sit around same with addicts and alcoholics….No Dough fro the taxpayers! Clean up and get a job!

Flat tax on ALL transactions including stock trades, corporate buyouts and consolidations, all purchases!

Put congress critters Senate scum and Presidents on SSI and take away their lavish pensions!

Leave my IRA and 401 ks alone I played by the rules and the political crooks broke the system make them pay! I invested in MY future forgoing the niceties of the moment don’t punish me for the folly of the irresponsible!

dhunter on February 15, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Our guys must enter the room knowing that they are dealing with people who will not budge one bit, not under this manchild thug. Our guys must bring it, bring the big stick every day and beat these wipes over the head repeatedly, and then take the argument directly to the people. Our guys need to work with us on their team, and realize that the other guys are more like an enemy than anything else.

Honestly, there will be no victories if our guys are concerned with playing nice. In the end, we all lose if our guys don’t get dead serious about the task at hand.

Keemo on February 15, 2011 at 7:31 PM

There never has been, and there never will be a rational way to decide how much government-enforced wealth redistribution is “enough.”

If the “solution” to the current financial meltdown is to back down entitlement spending back to the edge of bankruptcy and leave it there indefinitely, we have made zero progress.

Government-enforced “charity” is tyranny. ANY amount of it is completely unConstitutional and unacceptable to anyone who believes in the concept of liberty. It always has been and it always will be.

logis on February 15, 2011 at 8:02 PM

It holds promise, but in the current situation I have yet to see any real buckling down. It would be very refreshing to hear a budget worked up with either static -or- a continued decline in economic “projections” to work with to help us get out from under this mountain of debt. Instead the budget proposals to date are all worked off fo some magical “spurring” of the economy that occurs at some point in the future with which they balance and justify their number on.

Koa on February 15, 2011 at 8:05 PM

OREALLY? never heard the Repugnantcans say they wanted to roll back spending to 2008 levels. WTF does OREALLY? watch, read or listen to, himself only?

Endless reruns of himself like OBlahBLah.

This tool is for real a fool!

dhunter on February 15, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Trickle Down Federal Government

(BTW thought Romney Care fixed Mass Healthcare ?)

William Amos on February 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM

That is not Mitt Romney’s fault.

Lets read the first paragraph of the article:

More than $7 billion in federal stimulus funds have flowed into Massachusetts over the past two years, money that has helped plug gaping holes in state and municipal budgets and created tens of thousands of temporary jobs, state officials said Tuesday

Mitt Romney Left office in 2007 with a $2 billion dollar surplus.

Governor Patrick Deval has taken Mitt Romney’s surplus and squandered it. Massachusetts is now back in debt with a $1 Billion state deficit and potentially facing a 1.5 or 2 billion dollar deficit.

Conservative Samizdat on February 15, 2011 at 8:12 PM

I’m 24. I will GLADLY forfeit any benefits from SS or Medicare and support those currently on it. Just END THE MADNESS. My generation is doomed to indentured servitude if nothing is done. Phase the programs out, NOW!!!

nmlaw2012 on February 15, 2011 at 8:36 PM

nmlaw you a law student? you need to talk to Crr asap. /

CWforFreedom on February 15, 2011 at 8:57 PM

CWforFreedom, yes I am. The rare young, conservative law student. I’ve seen plenty of crr6′s stupidity on display. However, given what little luck you all have had arguing with him/her, I prefer to just watch.

nmlaw2012 on February 15, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Jack Lew demonstrates the ultimate crust of spewing economic gobbledygook with a straight face.

Doesn’t it become tiresome to hear of the “good old days” when Clinton ushered in the days of prosperity with his higher taxes? Bubba was riding high on an Internet bubble, and he crippled our intelligence agencies and our military to produce those golden numbers.

Times have changed, Mr. Lew. The numbers of people dependent on government entitlements have grown exponentially. Bubba himself is in the senior citizen category, but he has grifted his own way into a comfortable future.

Come on, Republicans. Expose those lies about economic nirvana of the Clinton years to bright sunlight.

onlineanalyst on February 15, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I’m 61 and say, fix the entitlements. I would rather wait than have SS go broke when I’m 75!

They did so in the ’80s and there was not revolution, so just do it.

PattyJ on February 15, 2011 at 10:27 PM

He says the longest period of uninterrupted growth in the US was under Clinton. No, it was under Bush, after the Bush tax cuts.

YehuditTX on February 15, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Who is out Rodimus Prime?

TheVer on February 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM

HERMAN CAIN

IowaWoman on February 16, 2011 at 12:19 AM

William Amos on February 15, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Make him veto it.

Then rework the budget, replacing the $100 billion in cuts with Rand Paul’s $500 billion. And threaten to put Ron Paul in charge of reworking it if Obama vetoes again.

In poker, this is called “going over the top”.

All the while, of course, the Republicans should be demagoguing the hell out of the President as obstructionist, endangering the country with his vetoes, stealing bread from the mouths of orphans and the elderly, etc.

Harpazo on February 16, 2011 at 1:17 AM

There comes a time when the facts prove you are right but to correct the problem you still have to lose. That is where we are on Social Security, we know that the Government used the money we paid in and put Government Bonds in the file cabinet. This would have been illegal for an independent Corporation to do but the Government does not have to foll ow the laws we do. Now, when we are ready to draw the money that is supposed to be there it ain’t. We can sit and cry in our beer or we can put on our big boy drawers and fix the problem. We are Americans, we have overcome more, invented more, produced more, and beaten more than any other country in the World. In the future people are going to have to retire later and the Social Security may have to increase the % that employees and employers pay into the fund. Most of it can be fixed without affecting the present retires but in the future, maybe 15 years there are going to be major changes. I do not think that means testing is fair, everyone pays everyone collects. The main thing is people should never depend on the Government to run a retirement plan. Develop your own and count on Social Security as a supplement as it was intended.

old war horse on February 16, 2011 at 1:59 AM

The House GOP has some cards to play here.

Obama’s budget was politically inept. No one can defend it except by saying debt doesn’t matter at all.

It won’t be Obama who shuts down the government, it will be Congress when the Republican House and Democratic Senate can’t agree on a bill.

As usual, Obama will be out golfing while all the work is done.

But the usual Democratic tactics to fight spending cuts may no longer be effective. One way or the other, we shall soon see.

Adjoran on February 16, 2011 at 4:06 AM

I believe there is an opportunity here. Obama and the media think he is being oh so clever by letting the GOP takes the first step, in reality he is leaving a vacuum for the Repubs to fill, will he attack, sure, but if the goal is to get policies you support adopted step one is to define the debate by making your proposals the only ones talked about.

rob verdi on February 16, 2011 at 5:54 AM

You want over a hundred billion cut? By pass the Zars and eliminate the Dept. of Education and the Dept of Energy and the EPA. Let this POTUS know we are serious.

mixplix on February 16, 2011 at 7:11 AM

First, the R’s so-called leadership needs to stop frackin around with this year’s budget! NO CONTINUING RESOLUTION! Do your flippin Constitutional jobs and pass a real FY11 budget!

Second, rule out of order any use of the terms “Mandatory” and “Discretionary”! There is not one penny in the entire Federal budget that is truly mandatory. Defense (& DHS), State, Treasury, Justice, and perhaps some bits & pieces of a few other Cabinet Depts at least have Constitutional standing and represent legitimate areas for the Federal Gov’t to consider spending on. But even in that category, there’s no requirement that We the People spend money on anything.

fyzycyst on February 16, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I’d just like to point out that, so far, not one thin dime has been cut out of the federal budget. Not one.

runawayyyy on February 16, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Seems Jabob Lew doesn’t believe what he is saying either.

AshleyTKing on February 17, 2011 at 9:29 PM