Video: The flub heard ’round the world

posted at 4:12 pm on February 14, 2011 by Allahpundit

Early this morning, when the clip first started circulating, people were goofing on it as an immortal Burgundy-esque tongue-tied gaffe. Then the Telegraph reported that she’d been hospitalized with a suspected stroke, which brought the merriment to a screeching halt. And now, from her station’s management, another plot twist:

Serene Branson was examined by paramedics on scene immediately after her broadcast. Her vital signs were normal. She was not hospitalized. As a precautionary measure, a colleague gave her a ride home and she says that she is feeling fine this morning.

Question for the M.D.s in the audience: Is it even remotely possible that paramedics would conclude that she did suffer a very slight stroke and would send her home instead of to the hospital? (Strokes aren’t as uncommon in people her age as you might think.) And if it wasn’t a stroke, what could it have been? Aphasia isn’t something that suddenly strikes and then you’re back to normal, “feeling fine” the next morning, is it? Poor woman.

Update: A reader e-mails to say that it could have been a Transient Ischemic Attack, a.k.a. a mini-stroke, from which people can recover in less than 24 hours. A TIA is, however, “a serious warning sign of stroke,” and according to the National Stroke Association, a person showing signs should be hospitalized immediately.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Geez! I’m not a doctor but something happened to this poor lady.

Vince on February 14, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Reminds me of that clip of Ted Kennedy introducing Clinton at a rally in 1994 and speaking a bunch of gibberish. Maybe she was hammered.

Doughboy on February 14, 2011 at 4:16 PM

This is what a Ron Paul supporter sounds like to a normal person.

catmman on February 14, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Something similar happened to Mrs. IDP several years ago, when she was in her early 30s. She suffers from migraines, and the doctor attributed the unusual symptoms to migraine.

Her speech slurred. She was writing a list at the time, and forgot how to spell simple words. It lasted about a minute, followed by migraine aura, and it was over.

We were very concerned about stroke, or “mini-stroke”. They ran a boatload of tests, and concluded that migraine was the most likely culprit, as there was no sign of stroke.

IronDioPriest on February 14, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Diet sodas.

Or pre-party at Charlie Sheen’s house?

BKeyser on February 14, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Possible “MINI-STROKE.” Evaluation by a dedicated stroke specialist is absolutely needed.

AmericanDad on February 14, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Since when are paramiracles (as we used to call them) MD’s? Get thee to a hospital!

GarandFan on February 14, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Something was seriously wrong with her.

I don’t even think booze or drugs could get you that far out there. They need to look her over real good. Could be serious.

gary4205 on February 14, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I hope she is getting a CAT Scan done; this isn’t anything to joke about. The first symptoms of a brain tumor are often confused speech.

PrincipleStand on February 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM

That certainly appeared to be a TIA. I hope she gets a thorough follow-up.

novaculus on February 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM

catmman

LOLOLOL

The Notorious G.O.P on February 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Poor girl. Hope she’s well.

El_Terrible on February 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Oh Joanna… I thought we were friends… I thought we were friends… friends… coffee… how could you do a thing like that? Like that? Like that? Like that? Friends… friends…

Bat Chain Puller on February 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM

IronDioPriest on February 14, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I’ve had one of those. I practically never get migraines, but I was in a partner’s office trying to explain my research and suddenly I couldn’t speak or remember what I was doing, and I saw the migraine aura. It was all gone ten minutes later. I am still embarrassed about looking like a moron in front of a firm partner, but at least it got better.

alwaysfiredup on February 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM

No snarky remarks from me, there is obviously something very wrong here with her.

Kermit on February 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Mini-strokes can cause a brittish accent?

“BAD 44!! BAD BAD 44″ (smack smack smack smack smack)

Ok. I’m going to hell now.

44Magnum on February 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM

How in the world Telegraph thinks an auto-playing video player in this day and age is a smart idea I have no idea. Ugh.

jimmy the notable on February 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Seems normal. I, too, thought the Grammys were characterized by a very heavy burtation and very darrison. Terrin tasin hit to the pit. Know what I’m sayin!?

Greek Fire on February 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I thought it was a clip for Dr. Gregory House. wow. Poor girl, she looks really scared. Can’t believe she isn’t in the hospital.

TN Mom on February 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Possible Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA). Evaluation needed.

AcronisF on February 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Sorely needed….

…..Speech Translator Device…

……to filter out….

……Impendements/Alcohol/Drugs/Foreign
Particles in da Mouth….

…and a Wording Re-Arrangement Unit to make
Sense of it!!!!!!!!!!!!(sarc).

canopfor on February 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Hope she’s OK. That was kinda freaky.

SKYFOX on February 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Two other possibilities from my personal experience:
1. sleep deprivation;
2. drug interaction (including legitimate prescriptions).

RegularJoe on February 14, 2011 at 4:24 PM

My mother had one of these episodes Jan 2nd. It took 6 or 8 hours for her to come bnack to reality. Doctors ran all kinds of tests and didn’t find anything wrong. I knew it was a stroke, but… Still no explanation.

odat on February 14, 2011 at 4:24 PM

That had Four Loko written all over it.

Chuck Schick on February 14, 2011 at 4:24 PM

A brain short circuit like that should not be left to a paramedic. Good vitals is not enough to release someone who clearly had this degree of brain malfunction.

Get this woman a battery of tests for crying out loud!

katy on February 14, 2011 at 4:24 PM

They shouldn’t have done it, but I can’t say it’s impossible. Anyone with her symptoms even if she quickly recovered and her vital signs were normal should have been taken to the ED for further evaluation.

She could have had a TIA (transient ischeemic attack). The symptoms would include any symptoms you might expect in a common stroke, (slurred/incomprehensible speech, one-sided weakness, temporary inability to swallow, etc) but the symptoms would wear off spontaneously, and often quickly.

DrAllecon on February 14, 2011 at 4:24 PM

GarandFan on February 14, 2011 at 4:18 PM

it’s the new Obowmao care standard. Paramedics now give the medical screening exam and transports to the hospital are like points on a drivers license. /s

screwauger on February 14, 2011 at 4:25 PM

They didn’t take her to the hospital?! She can still stroke out and die. It happened to my mother’s doctor, of all people.

catmman on February 14, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Please, seek professional help for your RPDS immediately!

Rae on February 14, 2011 at 4:25 PM

57 states…? I think…one more to go.

Western_Civ on February 14, 2011 at 4:25 PM

A co-worker gave her a ride home and now she’s just fine? I have feeling we’re not getting the whole story.

vcferlita on February 14, 2011 at 4:25 PM

yikes. hope she is ok.

search4truth on February 14, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA). I don’t know what to think since she didn’t go to the hospital for further testing which is what I would have expected.

Blake on February 14, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Obviously the Bajoran Resistance has been messing with the replicators.

Rude on February 14, 2011 at 4:27 PM

BUBBLEHEADEDBLEACHBLONDEITIS

SDarchitect on February 14, 2011 at 4:27 PM

In the paramedics’ defense, consider that they didn’t see this video clip. If, by the time they arrived, she seemed lucid, they’d have to allow her to refuse transport.

RegularJoe on February 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM

OR she needs a TOTUS….I know where she can get a great deal on hundreds of them if she can wait until January 2013?

SDarchitect on February 14, 2011 at 4:29 PM

(Strokes aren’t as uncommon in people her age as you might think.)

You’re right AP, and even if she was in perfect health, if she was on a birth control pill AND is a smoker, the risk of stroke/blot clot is surprisingly high.

DrAllecon on February 14, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Mini-strokes can cause a brittish accent?

“BAD 44!! BAD BAD 44″ (smack smack smack smack smack)

Ok. I’m going to hell now.

44Magnum on February 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM

44Magnum:I’ll accompany to h*ll,and suggest a French
ahem,Canadian,haha!

canopfor on February 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM

IronDioPriest on February 14, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I used to have the exact same strange happenings when I got migraines, which was often. Slurred speech, blurred vision, unable to think logically.

The good news, the migraines disappeared when menopause struck and I haven’t had one in years.

Crazy hormones!

Knucklehead on February 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM

That was not funny at all. How can any reasonable person cracks jokes about that? And Hotair, Christina Aguilera’s rendition of the National Anthem was a flub…that was no “flub.” Poor woman, I hope all is well.

Speechlesstx on February 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I had a TIA last year. I did go to the hospital, but after they ran all sorts of tests they released me without giving me any sort of treatment.

Vera on February 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM

People would forward this around and call it funny.

joe_doufu on February 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I think this poor woman was afflicted with some kind of medical condition.

What was Max’s excuse for this?

pain train on February 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM

The look of abject terror on her face tells the tale. She short-circuited. If she were mine, I wouldn’t have even asked her if she wanted evaluation – off we’d go to the ER. Scary s***.

turfmann on February 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I know what it was!

Jim Carrey was off camera, doing his “Bruce Almighty” shtick!

CurtZHP on February 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM

The poor thing. She needs to be in the hospital.

On a more selfish note, I can’t help thinking that when I submit this comment I’m going to be subjected to that video again.

pugwriter on February 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM

The guy in the office next to me had a stroke right before Christmas. He was at his desk, and speaking to a co-worker when he started speaking gibberish. It was scary. He didn’t know he was doing it either. He didn’t believe us when we told him he was having a problem.

He’s back to work now. But his C-Scan & dye injection Scan totally shows a dark spot where the stroke happened. He got a cool DVD of it he brought to work to show us.

portlandon on February 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM

When my migraines are bad enough, I apparently start babbling and think I’m somewhere in my past. Got run to the ER a couple times before they figured out it was migraines. Almost had me on blood-pressure meds before I found my trigger was peanuts.

Let’s hope it’s just migraines

Sekhmet on February 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Doughboy on February 14, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Rush Limbaugh used to play the hell out of that one. I’d laugh my @$$ off every time. Never got old.

CurtZHP on February 14, 2011 at 4:33 PM

You can see from the look on her face she is terrified/confused by what’s happening. Just because her vitals are normal doesn’t mean there wasn’t something medically wrong with her.

How many people end up back in the ER after clearing a routine exam? She needs a thorough check up.

postaldog on February 14, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Greek Fire on February 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I couldn’t understand a word of Arcade Fire’s songs either.

slickwillie2001 on February 14, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Mild incidents like this have happened to me as well. Suddenly I can’t quite think straight, and I have difficultly formulating words. It’s happened pretty rarely, but I worry that it’s a sign of a larger problem. Sounds like it’s not terribly uncommon.

paulzummo on February 14, 2011 at 4:35 PM

She wasn’t drunk. She didn’t slur. Her brain wasn’t slow to react, it was misfiring.

katy on February 14, 2011 at 4:35 PM

She could have had a TIA.

mizflame98 on February 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM

She’s gorgeous. She sure doesn’t look sleep-deprived. Stuff like that actually happens to me when I’m EXTREMELY sleep deprived.

Must be something else. I hope it wasn’t anything serious.

UltimateBob on February 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I agree. This looks more like a mini-stroke of some kind, not that my medical opinion accounts for much. She reminds me of the elderly people in my family after a stroke who try to talk but can’t remember what words actually mean.

jeffn21 on February 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Let’s hope it’s just migraines

Sekhmet on February 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM

The same co-worker who had the stroke has had Migraines all his life. He has had a TIA or Mini-stroke which affected his vision. He has a small blind spot in his lower left quadrant. He went to a migrane specialist and explained it as a vessel that over the years gets used to constricting which causes the migraine and releases. The stroke or TIA happens when the vessel doesn’t release and eventually bursts.

portlandon on February 14, 2011 at 4:37 PM

So, what’s Obama’s excuse?

Roy Rogers on February 14, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Two things- One, I guess all TIA’s are different because the several I witnessed with my mother were that she just stared straight ahead and seemed to lose all conciousness with her surroundings, (with her eyes wide open) and two- that “out of no where” gibberish talk is something I saw with a co-worker who was a few weeks later diagnosed with a brain tumor. He didn’t go to the hospital when he did the gibberish, but did when he absolutely could not remember the multiplication tables. Very sad, I hope she see’s a specialist.

anniekc on February 14, 2011 at 4:39 PM

This article links to that Miss South Carolina Teen USA video clip.

That old clip is not nearly as funny as before when viewed in this light.

pedestrian on February 14, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Is that lady crr6 in drag?

Seriously, hope she is O.K.; that’s some freaky & creepy stuff right there..

Keemo on February 14, 2011 at 4:39 PM

So, what’s Obama’s excuse?

Roy Rogers on February 14, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I was going to say impression of Obama when the prompter malfunctions.

Caper29 on February 14, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Not an MD, but have served as medic. The answer might be what is a very frequent occurance in the field, and is refered to here as an SOR, which means service offered and refused. If a person is awake, and alert and decides not to go in for treatment, there is nothing else the medics and do.

MikeA on February 14, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Paramedics might’ve concluded that, but they wouldn’t release her without the OK of a physician. Although the paramedics specialize in prehospital care, they are under the control of a physician who approves their care algorithms. If she was released with the suspicion, then the physician in the ER ordered her to followup with her own physician either that day or soon thereafter and she was released under the care of another person after undergoing a field exam that was normal >2-3x on site. If released, she also likely signed a waiver of care.

ted c on February 14, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I’d be far more likely to believe the cbs report than anyone else’s. My immediate first impression of this was it looked like a bad case of nervousness, but it seems this woman isn’t new to broadcasting in front of the camera at all. Or it could be she simply lost track of her train of thought. I can’t find if she did a wrap up of the story she was doing or not, or was that it…

JetBoy on February 14, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Personally, I can find nothing humorous about this.

Gothguy on February 14, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I really suspect a TIA too. That’s the first thing I thought of this morning when I first saw the clip. I thought the left side of her face appeared to have been affected.

Oink on February 14, 2011 at 4:42 PM

It could also have been caused by epilepsy. In any event, she needs to see a neurologist pronto!

Jonas Parker on February 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Something is not right. This is way more than a gaffe.

Terrye on February 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM

don’t dismiss a migraine attack either… those can be very tricky with wacky neurological events occurring before the onset (typically, though not always) of the migraine pain.

gatorboy on February 14, 2011 at 4:45 PM

44Magnum:I’ll accompany to h*ll,and suggest a French
ahem,Canadian,haha!

canopfor on February 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Just remember, when we get there, and they give us a choice between three rooms to spend eternity, DON’T pick the one where everyone is standing around in waist deep bubbling hot diarreah drinking coffee.

44Magnum on February 14, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Not a newbie: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/personality/serene-branson/

slickwillie2001 on February 14, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I hope she’s okay. At worst, it’s some undiagnosed neuro event, a TIA perhaps. At best, it was a badly timed brain fart on an early, cold morning before the cup of coffee kicks in. If someone shoved a mike in my face at 0600 most days, there’d be several times I’d be incoherent (and I’d look nowhere near as good)…

ted c on February 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM

people were goofing on it

Shame on them. This isn’t funny. I pray she will get thorough & competent medical care. Also, shame on the people who decided to make this video an auto-play.

redwhiteblue on February 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Sorry, a little distracted…..

Just saw the new tax increases in the 2012 budget of the Wrecking Ball

706 days
706 days
706 days
706 days…..

Okay I’m better now, what was this thread about?

PappyD61 on February 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I will add my vote to the brain tumor crowd. My sister has a small, mostly harmless brain tumor near the speech center in her brain. They discovered it after she had a few episodes where she lost her ability to talk. She apparently could mouth words and whisper very quietly, but not talk. The episodes came without warning and subsided on their own. A brain scan revealed the tumor, but they’ve opted to just keep an eye on it rather than any treatment since this was the only symptom.

Polynath on February 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM

postaldog on February 14, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Agree 100%. This is not funny, it’s not stupidity; something serious happened here and she knew it. Let’s hope that whatever happened is discovered and treated.

Chuckles3 on February 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM

gatorboy on February 14, 2011 at 4:45 PM

You’re right. Happened to me in 1993. I was sitting at my desk talking to my co-worker when all of a sudden I could not see and I started babbling and drooling. After exhaustive testing they diagnosed a complicated migraine and TIA brought on by migraine onset… Scary stuff!

Key West Reader on February 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Poor thing looked mortified.

ronsfi on February 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Bless her heart. That fear that shows in her eyes is just so sad.

I hope she gets well.

TiminPhx on February 14, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I wish her well.

I wish Obama’s teleprompter would pull that off on him.

Shy Guy on February 14, 2011 at 4:55 PM

She made more sense than Obama usually does.

Erich66 on February 14, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Key West Reader on February 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM

DAMN, so THAT’s what’s happening to my liberal democrat friend when I mention Sarah Palin….

(OK, OKAYY, I’m going to hell, I might as well knock out a few more. )

44Magnum on February 14, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Looks psychogenic to me.

She starts screwing up, being the experienced reporter that she is, she doesn’t pause and gather herself, and tries to recover mid-sentence and then screws up all her words.

Her crew probably corroborated that she conversed normally as soon as she ended the segment.

Going to the ED would be a waste of time and money, she’d get some tests, get observed and get released.

pirateoftheperineum on February 14, 2011 at 5:01 PM

It was Satan.

unseen on February 14, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I really dislike autostart video clips.

WisRich on February 14, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I blame it on Red Bull. :-)

coldwarrior on February 14, 2011 at 5:01 PM

She didn’t get treated because she assumed Obamacare was in effect and didn’t want to face a death panel.

csdeven on February 14, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Jessica Savitch unavailable for comment.

playblu on February 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM

On the snarky side, perhaps it is the result of brain damage from listening to some of that crap they call music at the event she was working.

MikeA on February 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM

canopfor on February 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM
=======================

44Magnum on February 14, 2011 at 4:47 PM

44Magnum:Hehe,the standing around the waste deep,reminds
me of Sheps interview with PlayBoy Bunny whats-her
name,talking about the mysterious sickness thingy
at the PlayBoy Mansion,and the ahem,grotto!!

44Magnum:

canopfor on February 14, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Poor girl. Her face goes from happy and lively to scared and confused by the end of the clip.

TheBlueSite on February 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I am a physician (trained and worked in Los Angeles)…..no paramedic would claim a stroke and then tell her to go home: She can go AMA – against medical advice.

And if she showed up in my emergency department she’d get the million dollar stroke workup (but I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that alcohol or drugs were involved).

HBowmanMD on February 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Shame on those of you making joke comments. It is obvious something was wrong with this poor gal. I hope it is nothing serious and she’s back on the air soon.

redstatelibrarian on February 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Robert Gibbs watched in awe. Jay Carney in fear of losing his new gig.

Seriously, I hope she gets examined. That was weird and scary.

Fallon on February 14, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Does anyone know exactly how DCMA takedown notices work? Is YouTube legally obliged to remove videos based solely on a copyright claim only? They pulled this video from YouTube as CBS claimed copyright violation. I’m so sick of that. This video is clearly newsworthy and so clearly meets the guidelines for a fair use defense. No judge on the planet would ever rule posting this video a copyright violation.

Yet YouTube gets a claim from one person, no matter how bogus, and bam- it’s gone like it never happened.

TheBlueSite on February 14, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I was listening to CoastToCoast,awhile back,and George Noory,called up,Ian Punnett,for a promo,on up coming
show,and Ian stated that he just woke up from a nap,
waiting for the call,and it too,was all over the map!
========================================================

Ian Punnett Drunk Live On Coast To Coast AM (7-09-2010)

canopfor on February 14, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Not exactly the 15 minutes of fame she was looking for…

right2bright on February 14, 2011 at 5:28 PM