Video: The flub heard ’round the world

posted at 4:12 pm on February 14, 2011 by Allahpundit

Early this morning, when the clip first started circulating, people were goofing on it as an immortal Burgundy-esque tongue-tied gaffe. Then the Telegraph reported that she’d been hospitalized with a suspected stroke, which brought the merriment to a screeching halt. And now, from her station’s management, another plot twist:

Serene Branson was examined by paramedics on scene immediately after her broadcast. Her vital signs were normal. She was not hospitalized. As a precautionary measure, a colleague gave her a ride home and she says that she is feeling fine this morning.

Question for the M.D.s in the audience: Is it even remotely possible that paramedics would conclude that she did suffer a very slight stroke and would send her home instead of to the hospital? (Strokes aren’t as uncommon in people her age as you might think.) And if it wasn’t a stroke, what could it have been? Aphasia isn’t something that suddenly strikes and then you’re back to normal, “feeling fine” the next morning, is it? Poor woman.

Update: A reader e-mails to say that it could have been a Transient Ischemic Attack, a.k.a. a mini-stroke, from which people can recover in less than 24 hours. A TIA is, however, “a serious warning sign of stroke,” and according to the National Stroke Association, a person showing signs should be hospitalized immediately.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Possible “MINI-STROKE.” Evaluation by a dedicated stroke specialist is absolutely needed.

AmericanDad on February 14, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Since when are paramiracles (as we used to call them) MD’s? Get thee to a hospital!

GarandFan on February 14, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I hope she is getting a CAT Scan done; this isn’t anything to joke about. The first symptoms of a brain tumor are often confused speech.

PrincipleStand on February 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM

——cough—– National Health Care —–cough —–

hillbillyjim on February 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM

What’s awful about this is that paramedics let her go and it seems clear that CBS and Serene are not taking it seriously. These kinds of things are usually indicative of a larger problem and is just the beginning of the matter. I hope CBS nudges her to take it more seriously than taking a day off to lie down.

Sultry Beauty on February 14, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I don’t have the medical degree to diagnose anything, but anyone can see that what happened is not normal. A totally normal speech pattern suddenly going into jumbled overdrive is scary stuff.

She may feel fine, but she needs to see a competent neurologist pronto.

Tennman on February 14, 2011 at 5:43 PM

This reminds me of when my husband had a stroke. His speech was slurred less than 30 seconds, his facial expression changed for just a moment or two. We thought maybe he had a TIA, but the doctors told us it was actually a stroke.

I hope this woman seeks medical care. They told us there is a great risk of having a serious stroke within 24 hours of an incident like that.

GrannySunni on February 14, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Watching it again, it looks a little like the left side of her face isn’t working right — in addition to gibberish words, she seems to be sort of mush-mouthed, especially on the left. The more I watch this, the more I (though totally unqualified in this area) think she did have some sort of stroke.

RegularJoe on February 14, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Someone on the left blames Bush in 5…4…3…2

angryed on February 14, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Heard about it all morning – first I’ve seen it.

Exactly whose idea is it to make fun of this? Shame on you.

TIA’s are very serious as they portend much more serious episodes to come.

Hope she’s alright.

Pablo Snooze on February 14, 2011 at 5:48 PM

BTW–Those of you make snide comments about her being a blonde female might want to note that she’s not a newbie that got nervous or even the type to have one to many before going on air:

Branson is a two time Emmy nominee and the recipient of the Frank Shakespeare Award for Outstanding Achievement in Journalism.[1]

Branson previously worked in a CBS affiliate station in Sacramento, where she had the opportunity to cover state politics and Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. She was one of only a handful of media witnesses chosen to watch the execution of convicted killer Clarence Ray Allen at San Quentin State Prison. She also landed an exclusive interview with one of the few sexually violent predators released from the Atascadero State Hospital. She has covered some of California’s largest natural disasters including wildfires and floods.

Branson started her career as an intern at KCAL 9. She has also worked as a reporter/anchor in Palm Springs and a reporter in Santa Barbara.

Sultry Beauty on February 14, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Does anyone know exactly how DCMA takedown notices work? Is YouTube legally obliged to remove videos based solely on a copyright claim only? They pulled this video from YouTube as CBS claimed copyright violation. I’m so sick of that. This video is clearly newsworthy and so clearly meets the guidelines for a fair use defense. No judge on the planet would ever rule posting this video a copyright violation.

Yet YouTube gets a claim from one person, no matter how bogus, and bam- it’s gone like it never happened.

TheBlueSite on February 14, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Working in Adv. Design, I’m all too well familiar with copyright laws. It never ends, it seems, that people/companies claim infringement over the most ridiculous things…but it keeps the attorneys in business.

Ever since Google acquired YouTube, they’ve had pretty much a “zero tolerance” policy on copyright issues…as they too were getting slammed with complaints. So they decided the best way to deal with it was to simply pull a video than have to defend users.

It stinks, but it’s a part of life we just have to deal with.

JetBoy on February 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Obviously we need an even more comprehensive universal healthcare plan, immediately.

Someone start crafting Obamacare 2.0, the 5,000 page version – NO TIME TO LOSE!

Midas on February 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Could the stress of being on TV have made it worse?

How very odd to catch something like that on camera.

I have a friend who had a brain aneurysm. I don’t have any idea what the first symptoms were but after recovery she was often much like this.

petunia on February 14, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Seriously can the word flub be removed from the headline?

CWforFreedom on February 14, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Jessica Savitch unavailable for comment.
playblu on February 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM

That’s a sick joke, dude/ameoba and I don’t mean in the cool, hip way that kids say it.

Buy Danish on February 14, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I heard that Democrats are trying to get her to run for Kyl’s seat.

Mark1971 on February 14, 2011 at 5:58 PM

She needs a full neuro workup for this. TIA sounds most likely but an epileptic focus also comes to mind. I’m long retired but this is no joking matter, especially in a person that young. Stress would be a diagnosis of exclusion after ruling other things out.

DaMav on February 14, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Someone on the left blames Bush in 5…4…3…2

angryed on February 14, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Even so, they are way too late to the party. The story was posted at 4:12, and it only took 13 minutes for screwauger to blame Obama at 4:25. Apparently, Democrats suck even at tastelessly politicizing the possible devastating illness of innocent stangers.

factoid on February 14, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Whoa!!! Just saw this…I’m an MD and all I have to say is she should have been seen in the Emergency Department and had a brain scan and a full court press of diagnostic tests. That is way not normal.

jawbone on February 14, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I’d heard a bit about this , this morning on the radio. I have no idea who this is, but my prayers go out to her. She’s so young, but even the young can be stricken with things like strokes, and heart attacks and other assorted maladies. I’ve seen it happen in my own family.

Prayers to her, and I hope she seeks treatment, immediately. It would be a shame to ignore this, and something worse was lurking around the corner for her health. :(

capejasmine on February 14, 2011 at 6:18 PM

It was Satan.

unseen on February 14, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Hahahahahahaaaaaa Hahahahahahaaa!!!

/Thanks, I really needed a good laugh-o-the-day

Key West Reader on February 14, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Could the stress of being on TV have made it worse?

Not if it were a TIA. When I had mine I knew what I wanted to say, but it all came out as gibberish.

I was trying to tell my husband that my arm was numb and it came out “byn door food.” I realized that it was gibberish, but I couldn’t make it come out right.

It was easily the most frightening thing that’s ever happened to me. After about 2 hours I was ok, just left with a head ache.

Vera on February 14, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Well she is now qualified to be a democrat congresswoman and is on a fast track for leadership…

JIMV on February 14, 2011 at 6:32 PM

RegularJoe on February 14, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I agree with you. The left side of her face looks like is slacks to me. She definitely has something going on. That is just beyond flubbing your lines.

sarainitaly on February 14, 2011 at 6:50 PM

44Magnum:Hehe,the standing around the waste deep,reminds
me of Sheps interview with PlayBoy Bunny whats-her
name,talking about the mysterious sickness thingy
at the PlayBoy Mansion,and the ahem,grotto!!

44Magnum:

canopfor on February 14, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Its the leadin to the punchline of a sick joke.

Ok, OKAY, the reader’s digest condensed version.

Guy dies, goes to hell, meets Satan who says welcome to hell. You get to choose where you spend eternity. guys says wow, cool. Satan shows him 3 rooms, first room, people being burned alive, terrible agony. NAW guy says, ok, Room 2. People being stabbed and cut up and bludgeoned to pieces. ACK! guy says, Ok, 3rd room, everybody waist deep in bubbling hot poop drinking coffeee and yakin. “I’ll take his one guy says. OK Satan says, door slams behind the guy, and then a big bell goes off and a demon yells “OK, coffee break’s over, EVERYBODY BACK ON YER HEADS!!!”

Like I said. sick joke.

44Magnum on February 14, 2011 at 6:53 PM

God bless her. I hope she’s okay

deedtrader on February 14, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Yeah, I can’t joke about this. My mom’s second husband died almost immediately from a massive stroke and my mom has had several mini strokes and my fiance’s dad shows signs of having had mini strokes. I hope she gets the medical attention she needs and that she comes through this.

aikidoka on February 14, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Bless her heart. I really hope she is ok. I could never get in front of a camera and do her job, but she did seem to have a major medical problem.
L

letget on February 14, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I am a doctor and that was enough of a TIA to warrant:

1) An MRI of the brain with diffusion sequence to look for any residual of damaged brain tissue.

2) An MRA including the head, neck and aortic arch to look for aneurysms, dissections and stenosis. All can flip clumps of platelets and cause symptoms of this sort.

speed on February 14, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Terrible. Could be a stroke deep to Superior Temporal Gyrus.

Wernickes aphasia

Gives you what is called “word salad”

Would have to be deep to get the Facial Motor Nucleus, where if it did an injury to the right brain/brainstem would affect the left lower facial muscles.

chicagotrauma on February 14, 2011 at 7:50 PM

No, it’s not. She needs to see a Neurologist; they will be able to tell if her speech is Aphasia, Dysphasia or Dysarthria. They will also do a CT, MRA, MRI, and a CTA to see if it is a stroke or a head injury. But it can also come on gradually, from a slowly growing brain tumor or a degenerative disease.

BDU-33 on February 14, 2011 at 7:54 PM

These are serious warning signs. Further testing is warranted, MRI/MRA/CT scans–if not an admission for those tests. TIA definitely on the list.

SusanAnne Hiller on February 14, 2011 at 7:55 PM

canopfor on February 14, 2011 at 5:11 PM
=========================
Its the leadin to the punchline of a sick joke.

Ok, OKAY, the reader’s digest condensed version.

EVERYBODY BACK ON YER HEADS!!!”

Like I said. sick joke.

44Magnum on February 14, 2011 at 6:53 PM

44Magnum:Hehe,ahem,yes,I tend to go over board now and then,
cute joke,and hopefully,other posters know were
just funning around!!:)

canopfor on February 14, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Having the word “flub” in the title is pretty tasteless and almost seems to mock what looks like a legitimate medical event. Show a little decency and change the title of this post.

diditagain on February 14, 2011 at 8:13 PM

I really felt bad for her. Jokes about this are not appropriate. You hear about this all the time, but what are the chances of catching it on camera, AND broadcasting it live?

I knew what was happening, but besides the shock of witnessing a stroke in progress, I was reminded of a scene in C.S. Lewis’ book That Hideous Strength, in Chapter 16 the Banquet at Belbury, when Merlin casts a spell on the speakers just before the evil N.I.C.E. is destroyed. After the key note speaker starts speaking nonsense, the “deputy Director” stand up and says, “Tidies and Fugalman, I sheel fool that we all most steeply rebut the defensible though, I trust lavatory….” It is a powerful scene and watching her struggle made me sad and brought that scene to mind.

Grunch42 on February 14, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Gee the Grammys and demon possession who would have thought.
Stroke, it should be that easy.

KF Peters on February 14, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Not sure if it’s a ‘word salad’ but I mix up my words sometimes: I say “bird” when I mean to say “table”. It tends to happen more when I’m tired, excited/nervous or eat sugar.

If I consume sugar, especially on an empty stomach, I get a “high” that last hours, then without warning I crash. Leaves me shaky, sweating, confused, & disoriented. I’m in great health otherwise, and learned to avoid sugar/processed foods, unless I eat meat.

Wonder if she has low blood sugar issues??

TN Mom on February 14, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Gee the Grammys and demon possession who would have thought.
Stroke, it should be that easy.

KF Peters on February 14, 2011 at 8:28 PM

huh?

equanimous on February 14, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Who knew that there were this many doctors hanging around at HA?

turfmann on February 14, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Key West Reader on February 14, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Hey, this is totally OT, but I have a question for you. I’m a long-time, daily reader (not as often commenter) and am getting married in October. We are thinking about going to Key West for our honeymoon, do you have any tips and or thoughts on that?

Sorry for the OT folks.

hollygolightly on February 14, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Just watched the video for the first time and even before the stroke rumors I never would have found this funny. There are some things that instinctually you should just know are no laughing matter, I hope she’s ok.

Daemonocracy on February 14, 2011 at 9:13 PM

It was Satan.

unseen on February 14, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Hahahahahahaaaaaa Hahahahahahaaa!!!

/Thanks, I really needed a good laugh-o-the-day

Key West Reader on February 14, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Mick Jagger was at the Grammy show.

slickwillie2001 on February 14, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Not a doctor and it looks like some of the docs on here are saying stroke. Given her age though, is this possibly symptomatic of a brain tumor? Lost a work acquaintance several years ago to a brain tumor, and the symptoms seem similar to what his colleagues reported happened to him when it manifested itself.

Sure seems like her employer and she are not treating this as seriously as they should. Or maybe they just aren’t publicizing it.

AZfederalist on February 14, 2011 at 9:27 PM

She looks frightened – that’s reason enough not to laugh.

Nice to see so many docs hanging at headquarters Hot Air =)

ace tomato on February 14, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Aphasia – left side occlusion – restricted blood flow from stroke

Ms. faraway works with stroke patients every day

faraway on February 14, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Wow, had she just gotten her flu shot?

…(ducking for cover)

jjjen on February 14, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Well, I hate to be the crude one… but couldn’t it just be that she screwed up really badly? That she messed up her initial lines and then panicked and couldn’t form coherent words…?

acrolite on February 14, 2011 at 11:14 PM

From Mr. PPF’s perspective and knowledge of the matter; it’s not the paramedics’ job to perform a diagnosis of the patient. If she said she’s fine, still their job is to stabilize the patient and send her to the hospital to be evaluated then diagnosed by a doctor.

Mr. PPF does not know he is very conscientious that he’s not qualified to diagnose a patient with a heart condition; he runs the heart lung machines. Looks like the TIA but the migraine post above with the aura sounds like the onset of a seizure as well (I get those w/o the aura and have gone under SERIOUS duress. I just pass out. I do get headaches, blinding as it gets my right eyeball and I have my own techniques to fix them.

Where Mr. PPF works she’d have been scanned, poked and checked to the max. They don’t let stuff like this go easy. Mr. PPF’s seen some of them leave us too soon and this troubles him sometimes.

ProudPalinFan on February 14, 2011 at 11:14 PM

The look of terror on her face at the end does kind of take the fun out of it.

DFCtomm on February 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM

In the paramedics’ defense, consider that they didn’t see this video clip. If, by the time they arrived, she seemed lucid, they’d have to allow her to refuse transport.

RegularJoe on February 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Mr. PPF said this is true.

ProudPalinFan on February 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Blame Bush!

OR look at the dilation of her pupils and BLAME THE PRE-PARTY, PARTY!!!

What’s that “legal” weed the left coast is burning up these days???

Roy Rogers on February 14, 2011 at 11:27 PM

A hot incoherent woman, I’m in love.

Inanemergencydial on February 14, 2011 at 11:36 PM

To the point:
Differential diagnosis would include a transient ischemic attack (vs cerebrovascular accident [aka stroke]) vs a focal seizure would need to be considered… and yes, perhaps even closely observed in a monitored hospital unit.

In fact, this is a neurologic equivalent of what chest pain is to the heart – which should warrant a trip by ambulance to the nearest hospital.

Additional blabbery:
She needs (or needed I should say) a stat neurologic evaluation.

Unrequested snark:
I guess rationing has already started in earnest. If they are not going to take a relatively young woman to the hospital for a basic evaluation, f- the rest of us.
As for me, I’m already taking a daily aspirin. I’ll start taking a statin tomorrow.

Additional snark – including poor taste:
She still made more sense than Obama has with any economic related topic… the difference is that towards the end of the video – she is recognizing that something is very wrong….

Final wishes:
Hope she is okay and gets the evaluation/follow-up that she needs.

Danny on February 15, 2011 at 12:02 AM

My husband had a stroke with major aphasia a few years ago — he sounded like the muppet’s Swedish chef but thought he was talking fine — but the ER took hours ruling out things like migraines and TIA before they concluded it was a stroke. It took months of therapy to recover his speech and writing, but he did recover with few cognitive deficits. (Good news for Gabby Giffords!) I was astonished to learn that there were things other than stroke that can cause temporary aphasia, though.

starboardhelm on February 15, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Oh, dear gods, how unnerving!

Agreed that the look of horror on her face said it all: expressive speech was good and scrambled, but receptive seemed unaffected (i.e., she could process the lead-in, and could hear herself mangling her words). I too am thinking TIA or focal seizure affecting Broca’s area. Possibility of a lesion, though, can’t be ruled out (tumor?). Definitely a ‘hardware problem,’ and, while I cast no blame on the EMTs, whose hands *are* tied when the patient refuses treatment, I do hope that her friends and family and co-workers are riding her most diligently to follow up on this, post-haste!

Much sympathy and concern for this poor woman!

Noocyte on February 15, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Interesting, though, that the prosody of her delivery was also broadly intact; the cadences and rhythms of her Journalistic Voice (right down to the chunked “Let’s go ahead and…”) survived, even as the semantic content was hosed. Broca’s aphasics can frequently sing the words of songs, even as they are incapable of reciting sentences in normal speech.

Wow.

Noocyte on February 15, 2011 at 1:59 AM

She needs to get on Lovenox immediately.

flyoverland on February 15, 2011 at 2:12 AM

I hope she is ok long term and gets a better medical screening than just asking for a ride home.

As a side note, HOTAIR! The auto-play of video when one opens the link is bad, mmmk? If I want to play the video, I’ll press play.

tx2654 on February 15, 2011 at 8:16 AM

I just played this clip for my wife, who is an MD (Internal Medicine), who said, “She’s having a stroke. She should be in the hospital for a full workup.”

I hope she is.

MrLynn on February 15, 2011 at 8:23 AM

I didn’t think it was very funny. Kind of like watching someone fall down a flight of stairs or get hit by car.

Hope she does better and seeks medical attention.

CrazyFool on February 15, 2011 at 8:41 AM

I was reading some comments on another site, and someone made an excellent point. We don’t have any reason to assume this is her first episode. She might very well have had a diagnosis and been undergoing treatment for some time, but doing so (as we all would in her situation) privately. The ‘look of horror’ might simply be “oh, no, not now, not when I’m on a live shot!”

RegularJoe on February 15, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Doesn’t sound like a flub.

Wishing her a speedy total recovery.

TimBuk3 on February 15, 2011 at 9:14 AM

44Magnum:Hehe,ahem,yes,I tend to go over board now and then,
cute joke,and hopefully,other posters know were
just funning around!!:)

canopfor on February 14, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Yeah, agreed. I think this gal need to get to a neurologist ASAP as well. Her left side of her mouth and cheek did sag just a scosh, and though I’m no doctor, I did stay a a holiday inn express once, so I’m at least qualified to agree with HA docs that have recomended her getting more indepth treatment.

All joking aside.

44Magnum on February 15, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Birth Control Pills + Tobacco = increased susceptibility to Strokes

maverick muse on February 15, 2011 at 9:33 AM

…or the Gift of Tongues, minus the flames.

maverick muse on February 15, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I think a few people need to write her station manager and express concern. If I were a family member or co-worker I’d drag her to a hospital pronto. This could be a variety of things, most from a parade of horribles. Nothing to screw around with.

Younger women do have strokes. My wife had one at 29.

DrSteve on February 15, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Just read that she is having TESTS that have been ordered by her doctor and that she not been admitted to a hospital.

SC.Charlie on February 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I showed the clip to a “friend” and he actually laughed. It infuriated me. It’s obvious something’s wrong and it certainly seemed like a stroke. My 75 year old father had a stroke and went through a similar speech struggle.

Why would someone laugh at that? I asked him, “What the hell is wrong with you? She’s having a stroke you jackass.”

Prayers go out to her.

Amy Proctor on February 15, 2011 at 10:58 AM

One doctor said drugs and alcohol can have the same effect…that is why some people aren’t taking it serious.
Do you think drugs and alcohol is more prevalent in someone her age or having a stroke?
I would take the odds on drugs…hope it’s not, but odds are it is.

right2bright on February 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Not easy stuff. My father was diagnosed with mini-strokes after a bad car wreck. They were dismissed later as “anomalies” on his scan. His symptoms, weak right arm and hand was attributed later to an incorrectly applied BP cuff which caused minor and temporary nerve damage.

Why would anyone else but my family care? Because my father is a saint. His own words, “These people saved my life. I’m not going to ruin theirs because the care wasn’t perfect. No one’s perfect.”

Medicine is tough. So is my Dad.

hawkdriver on February 15, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Allah! It’s time to remove the “FLUB” from your title! This type of blogging gives the rest of the blogosphere a bad name! You are truly showing your ignorance!

tomshup on February 15, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I know it’s been said many times, but it must be repeated. It is very common for a TIA victim to seem perfectly fine within as little as ONE HOUR following the event, and therefore to decide nothing is “really” wrong. But medical professionals, including paramedics would never diagnose a TIA and then release the subject without a thorough examination, and likely a minimum of 24 hours observatory hospitalization.

In the midst of a TIA, the victim can exhibit a very wide range of behavioral impacts: Slurred/loss of speech; temporary tunnel vision or blindness in one eye; apparent or actual partial to complete paralysis of one side of the body, from the limbs up to including the muscles of the face (this is important, as an observer can get an early clue to Stroke/TIA by noticing a non-parallel behavior of the facial muscles, especially around the cheek and mouth); partial or complete loss of consciousness; partail loss of lucidity; etc.

Never mistake an apparently fast and complete “recovery” for an indicator of good health. Trust the bad signs, they point to a serious problem with potentially catastrophic results.

Freelancer on February 15, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Just because she wasn’t taken to the hospitaldoesn’t mean a damned thing. Many timespeople who should end up at the hospital don’t wind up therebecause employers convince them not to go or that there’s nothing wrong. And as young as she is, I just betcha she was concerned about keeping her job. TIAs come and go very quickly sometimes leaving the victim confused and unclear on what’s going on. My mother in law had several of these a year ago and it was a real struggle to get anything done.

I hope this poor girl gets a decent check up and someone cares enough about herto make sure she’s under a doctor’s care. These things can escalate into a situation which ends in death and that would sure be sad. You could definitely see the fear in her face. I hope she does ok. Bless her.

Mad Mad Monica on February 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Teleprompter malfunctions = stroke???

OMG!! Someone save the President!!!!

Roy Rogers on February 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM

My dad had Alzheimer’s and would lose the thread in mid-sentence. Not like this, but terrifying for him. And me, watching the person I knew going away while I stood there.

Harry Schell on February 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM

this is funny? judas…

james23 on February 15, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I heard someone say that initial symptoms/attacks of MS can look this way. Does anyone know anything about that? I know a little about ALS and it eventually attacks the speach but I think that’s somewhere down the list of symptoms and doesn’t happen first.

I don’t know how anyone could see this, see the terror in her eyes, and think this was funny.

peacenprosperity on February 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM

jawbone on February 14, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Agreed. I was a LMHC and have also been a paramedic. Fatigue, stress, emotional trauma etc can cause speech difficulties, but she was unable to even enunciate words. This is neurological – could be as serious as stroke – or as simple as a adverse reaction to meds. EMT’s always begin checking vitals, which they did, but with a possible neurological problem you’d check the pupils for excessive or unequal dialation, eye motion tracking, basic motor skills etc. It’s hard to believe they didn’t, but bottom line is you can’t force someone who is alert and responsive to get treatment – but friends/family should get her to the neurologist – YESTERDAY!

Anyone who finds this amusing is SICK. This girl could be in serious trouble.

swede7 on February 15, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Surfing the Net this morning, I noticed that so many people were seeing this clip as entertaining more than frightening. Maybe they know nothing about TIAs or other neurological problems, but their first reaction seemed to be to laugh. People nowadays are taking cell phone videos of people who are having all manner of problems, including being hit by cars. Not helping, not feeling compassion — laughing, or thinking “Oh boy, I’ve got to video this!”

Catch anyone in a flub, and pass it on to others. Whatever happened to “treat others as you would want them to treat you”?

KyMouse on February 15, 2011 at 3:02 PM

1. PLEASE put a link instead of an auto-playing video. It’s extremely LOUD and unexpected and sometimes GLITCHED and scary and plays every time you load the page or flip thru the comment pages.

2. Get over “flub,” people. Serene isn’t sitting around reading blogs thinking, “Wah, they are calling it a flub!” I’m pretty sure she doesn’t care right now.

3. It’s nice that people are concerned, but the armchair doctor brigade, that thinks it can make a serious medical diagnosis after a ten second video clip is pretty ridiculous.

4. How bout we respect her privacy?

Polynath on February 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Brain researcher Jill Bolte Taylor got a research opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: She had a massive stroke, and watched as her brain functions — motion, speech, self-awareness — shut down one by one. An astonishing story.

BDU-33 on February 15, 2011 at 3:19 PM

That’s interesting, but I think her sense of perspective accompanying her reasoning probably isn’t much better than that of her schizophrenic brother.

elfman on February 15, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Had two of them myself. Not serious and not permanent, but probably more effing scary than anything you goofs have ever experienced so lay off!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Grump on February 15, 2011 at 6:59 PM

When I commented earlier I was at work, and the filters there block embedded youtube clips very effectively. Just saw the video, and it’s exactly as I listed in possible effects. You can see one side of her mouth droop while the other obeys as she tries to hold a smile. One cheek relaxes, and there is a definite look of fear in her eyes when she senses that what is coming out of her mouth isn’t right. Not a trained medical professional, but spent five years as a parental caregiver, and the signs are identical.

If you laughed before you understood that she was having medical difficulties, ok. If you laughed after knowing same, shame on you.

Freelancer on February 16, 2011 at 6:01 AM

Any update on her condition?

I pray that she is being given proper care/advice and that she is taking this event seriously to prevent any further possible events.

Geministorm on February 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Wow. Truly scary. Get to a friggin’ neurologist!

Take care of yourself, and get well soon.

Tim_CA on February 16, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Wow, This is the first time I have been able to see and hear the video…….

That is scary.

Another thought that comes to mind is but for the grace of God go I. I wish her a speedy recovery….

RealMc on February 16, 2011 at 5:16 PM

…and still more coherent than the President!

cableguy615 on February 16, 2011 at 8:19 PM