Video: Obama unveils surreal, catastrophic new budget

posted at 6:12 pm on February 14, 2011 by Allahpundit

How bad is it? Try to guess who wrote the following:

[Senators] have to lead, because this president is too weak, too cautious, too beholden to politics over policy to lead. In this budget, in his refusal to do anything concrete to tackle the looming entitlement debt, in his failure to address the generational injustice, in his blithe indifference to the increasing danger of default, he has betrayed those of us who took him to be a serious president prepared to put the good of the country before his short term political interests. Like his State of the Union, this budget is good short term politics but such a massive pile of fiscal bullshit it makes it perfectly clear that Obama is kicking this vital issue down the road.

To all those under 30 who worked so hard to get this man elected, know this: he just screwed you over. He thinks you’re fools. Either the US will go into default because of Obama’s cowardice, or you will be paying far far more for far far less because this president has no courage when it counts. He let you down. On the critical issue of America’s fiscal crisis, he represents no hope and no change. Just the same old Washington politics he once promised to end.

That’s Andrew Sullivan, formerly Obama fan numero uno in the blogosphere, now coping for the second time in eight years with crushing disappointment from a president he ardently supported. Ed’s already written a bunch about the budget today so I won’t belabor it, but have a look at Andrew Stiles’s bullet-point list of the lowlights if you missed it. $26.3 trillion in new debt — repeat, new debt — alone over the next decade. Says Jake Tapper, summing things up in a single harrowing line, “At no point in the president’s 10-year projection would the U.S. government spend less than it’s taking in.”

I’m preaching to the choir but let’s make sure we all understand the magnitude of what we’re seeing here: On the seminal issue of his time, the long-term fiscal sustainability of the United States, this guy has completely abdicated. In fact, I’m tempted to say that this, not ObamaCare, will be the cornerstone of his legacy, but that’s really a false choice. They’re two sides of the same coin: He has a policy agenda but we don’t have the money to pay for it, and so one or the other must yield. Guess which one he thinks it should be. Remember too that O once famously said he’d rather be a good one-term president than a mediocre two-termer. Today’s budget exposes that canard for the total fraud that it is. He could have dealt with Social Security and Medicare here but seniors won’t stand for that, and, well, there’s an election coming up and we all know how high turnout is among seniors…

It is, as Yuval Levin says, “an appalling failure of leadership,” one which forces the GOP to lead on entitlements. Think they have the guts to do it? I don’t, and evidently neither does NRO’s Dan Foster. Read his post in full, please, because I keep seeing conservatives high-fiving over last week’s tea-party insurrection in the House over budget cuts and I can’t understand why. It’s a cosmetic win. It means next to nothing. But here’s the difference between Obama and the GOP: Even though there’s an election next year, congressional Republicans would, I think, be willing to tackle entitlements if Obama went all-in with them, simply because they’ve invested so much of their brand in fiscal responsibility to woo tea partiers that they couldn’t risk walking away. They need some bipartisan cover on it, though; they can’t make enemies of seniors all alone right before a presidential contest. The linchpin, then, is Obama. He could provide that bipartisan cover by making an impassioned push to deal with this issue now, together, and would probably impress a lot of independents in the process. But seniors’ reaction would be unpredictable and his base would despise him for trimming the “social safety net” instead of propping it up with more Monopoly money, so he’s walking away to get elected. Devastating. Thanks to Breitbart for the clip.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Danny on February 15, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Danny, I am going to shamelessly steal everything you’ve written (no, I will not–I’ll give you credit). A hearty “Hear, hear” to what you wrote.

DrMagnolias on February 15, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Really, though, how many Tea Partiers would really want their social security cut or their medicare? It’s one thing to talk a good game, but when it comes to self-sacrifice, that is where the Lefties win the game. Their strength is in their bet that Americans will not self-sacrifice. That is a safe bet.

keep the change on February 14, 2011 at 6:57 PM

[raises hand] I would!

There’s not a snowball’s chance in Hell that I’ll see anything from either of these programs… even though I had $6K stolen from me this past year for SS alone.

I would be perfectly happy with splitting my SS taxes… half going to existing seniors, and half going to a 401K that I manage… with the full expectation that I won’t receive any payments.

Also with a 401K, I can take out loans against it if I absolutely have to, and can pass it down to my spouse/kids if I die before I get to use it. I don’t with SS…

And since when have Lefties sacrificed anything? They are all about everyone ELSE sacrificing for their principles, but not them! (Note their consistent lack of charitable giving.)

dominigan on February 15, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Rs are making a huge mistake in talking about SS. HUGE. SS is in surplus for the next ten years.

r keller on February 14, 2011 at 7:19 PM

NOT TRUE! SS is in the red THIS YEAR. And there is no surplus. SS is in the general fund, which means any surplus gets spent every year.

You might want to learn a little more about SS before you comment…

dominigan on February 15, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I heard Obama slipped up at some interview and uttered the four letter S word. This word pretty much sums up his budget, which is rigged to cut entitlements for the poor.

These entitlement cuts will become center of the debate in the floor, and the DEMs hope to position the GOP as enemies of the poor and lovers of the rich. Obama wants a shutdown to become a chmapion of the poor

This is a cheap game in good years, but tragic when it is about our last chance to save what’s left of the dollar and retain some kind of future for younger generations

The PR coming out of the GOP, a la CPAC, about America’s sole interest being a better business climate to generate jobs, has put GOP in a corner. They will need some big shovels to dig themselves out

One way to fight back is to trade the proposed entitlement cuts in return for drastic agency cuts at places like Education, which could be replaced with a CPA and about a hundred lawyers. Throw in promises to give back 30 percent of what is ‘saved’ in direct cash to the States, no strings attached. Nothing works like greed when fighting greed

Throw in another 10 weeks unemployment. What the heck. There wont be jobs until the borrowing stops. The market is set for a correction as inflation widens, and bonds gain value. It is going to happen regardess of QE3 or 4 or 5, because the QE is spent. There is a point where printing money becomes self defeating and the adjustment is coming although they will try to stave it off until after election.

Nasty situation, betting the bread on your plate on a roll of the dice

entagor on February 15, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Most gutless slab of meat to ever inhabit the White House Country

MyImamToldMeToDoIt on February 14, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Susanboo on February 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Just wondering why these so-called ‘leaders’ *saracsm drips from my tongue* cannot do something for the good of the country instead of worrying about who they’re going to pi** off in fear of losing their seat.
This is why term limits is such a beautiful notion.
They can’t be in long enough for this to be a motivation.
Remember when public service was a privilege?

Badger40 on February 15, 2011 at 2:17 PM