Quotes of the day

posted at 10:55 pm on February 14, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Purity in martyrdom is for suicide bombers. King Pyrrhus is remembered, but his nation disappeared. Winston Churchill set aside his lifetime loathing of Communism in order to fight World War II. Challenged as a hypocrite, he said that when the safety of Britain was at stake, his ‘conscience became a good girl.’ We are at such a moment. I for one have no interest in standing in the wreckage of our Republic saying ‘I told you so’ or ‘You should’ve done it my way.’

“We must be the vanguard of recovery, but we cannot do it alone. We have learned in Indiana, big change requires big majorities. We will need people who never tune in to Rush or Glenn or Laura or Sean. Who surf past C-SPAN to get to SportsCenter. Who, if they’d ever heard of CPAC, would assume it was a cruise ship accessory.”

***
“Haley Barbour is warning the GOP to not get too hung up on finding a perfect candidate, saying that ‘unity’ over ‘purity’ will beat Obama in 2012.

“The Mississippi governor has joined Mitch Daniels in suggesting that a truce on social issues would do the Republicans well at the ballot box – and seemed to argue that point during an interview at CPAC with Human Events posted on Monday.

“‘We need to all work together,’ Barbour said. ‘Unity is what we need to help us win. Purity is not a winner in politics.’”

***
“‘You don’t diss the people who are already audiences of those shows — you don’t say that they’re irrelevant or unnecessary,’ Limbaugh said on his show Monday afternoon when asked about Daniels’ comments. ‘Who won elections for your party year after year after year?’…

“‘The Republican Party establishment group is really not thrilled with talk radio, they’re not thrilled with the tea party — they don’t like it, they’re trying to find ways around it,’ he said.

“‘I don’t think that we can only win by watering ourselves down and diluting ourselves,’ Limbaugh said, adding that he thinks Daniels does. ‘He has this overriding notion that conservatism is not enough to win. That bothers me, because clearly it is.’”

***
Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Petunia, I know you long enough that you are rabid about Romney only because of religion. I also know that you are a great patriot, so don’t let your religious affiliation trump your patriotism.

promachus on February 15, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Since you are willing to pick flawed candidates, would your logic be applicable to Gov.Palin? Just askin.

promachus on February 15, 2011 at 12:04 AM

I have said time and again if Palin is the nominee I will support her 100%. I don’t think she has enough experience. And I think she is weird. If she were just a talking head I would love her. But as President I think she is a disaster waiting to happen and an embarrassment.

But she is way better than Obama and she at least claims to believe the same things I do.

I will vote for her. And do I have to get into how badly she has been mistreated by the press????? Yes yes it’s true the press is awful. But revenge is not a good reason to support someone for President.

She is among the many flawed candidates who I would support.

So is Huckabee who I despise. For the good of the country we have to get the power out of the hands of the socialists. So if Huck is it then I am there… and I will find the good stuff about who ever it is and I will do what I can to get them elected.

Your devotion to Palin is sick, by the way.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Unity is why we can’t afford Palin or Huck. Job one is beating Obama.

JeffB. on February 15, 2011 at 12:16 AM

I do think its within another month or two the stage will be set and the players will be on the field. i doubt a white knight come sout of no where…

unseen on February 14, 2011 at 11:52 PM

A little bit early for me but so be it and I hope there is a huge opening cast with many different views. Conservative will win the day! The polls and feelings on the ground I feel are definitely opposites.

bluemarlin on February 15, 2011 at 12:16 AM

I hope for purity on social issues but Rush probably cost us the last election because he refused to get behind Romney soon enough and allowed Huckabee to stay relevant after his dirty tricks far too long.

petunia on February 14, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Yawn. This canard is really lame. McCain suspending his campaign and backing TARP didn’t cost us the election, it was Rush Limbaugh?

Some of you need to stop smoking ganja.

fossten on February 15, 2011 at 12:16 AM

You can’t sway the moderates by doing nothing but Fox News and talk radio appearances — you’re going to have to go to the places they hang out, and in a lot of cases those are places where you’re going to have to be very on-point and firm with your message, because that’s where the big media types are going to be, attempting to act as gatekeepers to make sure Obama stays in office.

jon1979 on February 15, 2011 at 12:11 AM

You mean places like DWTS and TLC? and college universities and bowling conferences etc?

Seems it might be better to do it than talk about it….

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Understand this.

Daniels was Bush’s budget director. He and a whole host of other Establishment GOP types look at the rank and file and think to themselves that the Unwashed Masses need to be led and herded about, only with a kinder, gentler whip.

All those conservatives who fall for this con game every two years have something to answer for! But they never do, because the News Media likes this knd of Republican. And this kind of Republican always wants to be liked by the News Media.

So, they diss their most loyal potential voting bloc.

victor82 on February 15, 2011 at 12:16 AM

fossten on February 15, 2011 at 12:16 AM

It was disunity. Just like what is going to cost us next time.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Your devotion to Palin is sick, by the way.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Your obsession with Romney is worse, considering you threw Limbaugh under the bus in order to excuse Romney’s lack of popularity with the base.

fossten on February 15, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Alt is flexible, open minded. She is not dogmatic; even though she loves dogs, and, oddly, sharks too.

Geochelone on February 15, 2011 at 12:11 AM

There’s a type of shark called a ‘Dogfish’ which-strangely enough-is actually part of the catshark family.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 15, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Unity is why we can’t afford Palin or Huck. Job one is beating Obama.

JeffB. on February 15, 2011 at 12:16 AM

unity is why we can’t afford Mitt or Daniels. job one is beating Obama. not adopting his polices as are own…

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Unity is why we can’t afford Palin or Huck. Job one is beating Obama.

JeffB. on February 15, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Job one should be saving the nation. And choosing a candidate that will buy us more time is not fixing the problem.

portlandon on February 15, 2011 at 12:18 AM

It was disunity. Just like what is going to cost us next time.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:17 AM

It’s not Rush’s job to ‘get behind a candidate.’ It’s the candidate’s job to attract votes.

fossten on February 15, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Petunia, I wouldn’t worry about the Palin supporters voting for Obama.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I am supporting the GOP nominee, whoever it ends up being, with my time, money, and vote.

No way I stay home or vote Obama. We have Senate & House seats to battle for in addition to a presidential race. If we can’t come together in 2012 and continue the push we started in 2010 then we are all screwed.

chief on February 15, 2011 at 12:21 AM

So for most of you it is Palin or you vote Obama.

That’s just wonderful. You have not a shred of love for this country.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Where do you get that? Most Palin fans will support whoever is against Obama, they just hope it is Palin against Obama. Seems to me anyway, I could be wrong.

bluemarlin on February 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM

All I can say is I can’t wait until the primaries start. This is gonna be some interesting sheeyat.

John the Libertarian on February 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM

anyone else thing Mitt isn’t going to run after his terrible showing at CPAC.? I mean the MSM was snickering at Mitt’s speech…..

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM

There are reasons Palin’s negitives are so high. But your infatuation with her has blinded you to her flaws.

But if she is it… I’ll find her good points, even though I can’t imagine how someone with her lack of experience in everything is going to do any better than Obama is doing in foreign policy!

And the way she has alienated the people who do know stuff is not going to help her either. She hates people who know anything about anything. She has a blind spot to thinking people who have experience or education about something could possibly know more than she does. That is not a strength. That is ego. And an ego that big is trouble.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM

wow I don’t think we are talking about the same Palin. yours sounds like someone form outer-space.

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 12:25 AM

bluemarlin on February 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Come off it. You think half the commenters here will get behind Mitt? He is far more likely than Palin yet if he wins the Hot Air crowd will go to bed and put the covers over their heads!

No I think most Palin people have so much hate for some candidates that they are willing to see the country burn before they would support them.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Conservatives are supposed to shut up and vote.

bluemarlin on February 14, 2011 at 11:45 PM

That is what the establishment expects of conservatives but the “moderates” aren’t expected to toe the line for a conservative candidate. We are suffering the Medicare meltdown because of the establishment GOPers voting for LBJ instead of Goldwater. We still have Reid thanks to establishment GOPers for for him instead of Angle. We have the communist in Conn. because of the establishment GOPers voting for him instead of the conservative. If they are free to vote their conscience them I am free to vote mine.

chemman on February 15, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Before the Election for United States Senate out of Florida took place, I measured the ‘Sociability’ of each candidate using Social Metrics on HowSocialable.com… The metrics measured the ‘brand visibility’ of their names on search engines, social media sites, and other media platforms. This time, many of you emailed me asking to do the same for the ‘possible’ GOP Presidential Candidates for 2012… Palin’s score is beyond strong. She has become a ‘Power House’ in Media.”

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Petunia

I don’t support Romney because he lied about his faith in an interview while he was running for the Senate in MA. It wasn’t an omission or a political sidestep it was a lie. When asked about a living prophet that speaks to God Romney said he didn’t believe God had spoken to anyone since the time of Moses.

He has been a Stake President and a Bishop and he was either lying then or he is lying now. If he can so easily lie about one of the central tenets of his faith I believe that he has no core. This brings me no pleasure in saying this but I cannot in good conscience support a man like this. I would rather have him renounce his faith than misrepresent the faith out of a desire for political expediency.

I don’t believe that we do anything for the betterment of the faith if we support a man who is not worthy of that support. I think it is also harmful if we support people based on a shared faith rather than by doing an objective analysis of the of those people.

Forgive me if I have misread your sentiment about Gov Romney.

Mormon Doc on February 15, 2011 at 12:27 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 12:25 AM

And I don’t recognize the candidates you hate. You talk like they are cartoons and not people.

I see Palin’s faults but I still support her if she wins… my head isn’t too in love to see straight.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:27 AM

R. H. Limbaugh is right. Like Reagan, you create a huge majority by inclusiveness. And by that I don’t mean, as would Daniels suggest, by spreading a larger, yet weaker, tent. No, your goal is to get the majority of voters to understand that their best place to be is in that smaller but stronger tent in which you live.

Hence, true inclusiveness.

TXUS on February 15, 2011 at 12:29 AM

jon1979 on February 15, 2011 at 12:11 AM

I would guard against conflating Independents and Moderates.
If I’m not mistaken, Independents went Tea Party Conservative, big time, in the last election. Moderates are moderates because they have no convictions. On election day you can find them standing outside their polling place with wet fingers pointing skyward.

P. Monk on February 15, 2011 at 12:32 AM

That’s just wonderful. You have not a shred of love for this country.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:04 AM

And you aren’t God to know what other people feel about this country. Just because they disagree with you doesn’t give you the right to pass judgement upon them.

chemman on February 15, 2011 at 12:32 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM

I’m not a Gov. Palin supporter…in the primaries… but I must say that I know plenty of highly-educated idiots.
Just because someone’s book-smart doesn’t mean that they possess common sense.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 15, 2011 at 12:32 AM

I thought it worked well during the mid-terms! A smashing success :)

The little Tea Party that could…

TN Mom on February 15, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Did they send the WMD thread down the memory hole?

abobo on February 15, 2011 at 12:33 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Mitt I dislike because he makes a used car salesman seem honest. You seem unable to see that fault in mitt. and that is a central fault. If you can not trust a person what matters what his policies are. Obama is the same way. You don’t like his policies wait awhile and they will change….Mitt reminds me of Obama so much I think he is the white Obama. Knowing that why would I support him. Will I vote for mitt? It depends on the congress makeup more than anything. the SCOTUS will factor into it. I fear with Mitt on the top of the ticket we will lose the seats we gained in 2010 as conservatives stay home.

and as far as Palin’s faults I never considered it a supporters job to point out their candidates faults. that is the job for their opponents not supporters…

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 12:34 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:26 AM

I disagree with you on this and that is ok by me. My question to you is why the vitriol against Palin supporters, you did say in post above (I THINK)that you would support her if she were the nominee. Why can`t you believe a Palin supporter would come around to the same attitude against another 4 yrs of Obama? I do not like Mitt for president and would support Palin over him, however; if he wins the nomination I will pull the lever against Obama.

bluemarlin on February 15, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Unity is why we can’t afford Palin

JeffB. on February 15, 2011 at 12:16 AM

So those with convictions are supposed to put aside their convictions for someone without convictions so we don’t offend the convictions of those who don’t have convictions? Really? THAT’S unity?!?

miConsevative on February 15, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Mormon Doc on February 15, 2011 at 12:27 AM

I’m not supporting Romeny either, unless he comes up with some good explanation about his Healthcare thing. So far I don’t like what he says. Or he’s the last man standing.

You know,I slighly remember the quote you are talking about and I thought it was way blown out of the realm of what he said. He didn’t lie as far as I could tell, he just didn’t throw pearls before swine. It was a personal question meant to trap him and you bought the trap. It was much ado about nothing.

But I’m not behind Romney or any of the rest of them yet.
I hope he doesn’t run at all but if he’s the nominee I’m behind him 100% just like the rest of them.

What is happening to this country is far more important than any one person!

I don’t even recognize this country today. What is our stand on Egypt? If I don’t know how is Israel suposed to decide what to do? How about the Saudis?

I want anyone in there who has some experience and knows how to run a government. And who loves the country.

Any of the proposed Republican canidates… no matter what mistakes they make when answering invalid questions to people trying to trap them–will do.

Does Huckabee love America? Yes.
Does Palin? Yes.
Does Romney? Yes.
Does Gingrich? Yes.
Does Trump? Probably.
Does Ron Paul? Maybe.
Does Obama? Definitely not.

My list of critieria is pretty short right now. I’m sure I’ll find a favorite but I can not imagine running any of them down like people do. Not when the stakes are so very high.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:38 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM

There’s nothing weird about Palin. She’s a very genuine person with great integrity. If anything, there’ something very weird about Romney, who looks like psycho stalker with a very a good mien. I mean how many conviction changes has the man gone through? Does he have any core values at all, except for longing for presidency? He’s political version of the hero of A kiss before Dying.

I don’t where you got the idea that she doesn’t respect people who know better. Is that why she admires and alludes to Art Laffer, Ronald Reagan and a host of conservative thinkers?

Her negatives are in teh same territory as Newt Gingrich’s even though he has face nowhere the same scruitny. It’s because both of them had to go against democratic incumbent and the dems and mod pubs didn’t like it. Once the campaign starts, she will run a positive campaign and these will go away. Which is why it is frustrating to see GOP pundits to play nicey nice with Obama. If they take him to task, our presidential candidates need not.

promachus on February 15, 2011 at 12:39 AM

I want someone who fights on offense. Most of these squishies are all defense campaigners. That is why I support Palin. She brings the fight to the enemy.

karenhasfreedom on February 15, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Unity is why we can’t afford Palin or Huck. Job one is beating Obama.

JeffB. on February 15, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Why? if it’s unity you want, why only ask for that from Palin supporters or Huck supporters or anybody you don’t like supporters.

Vince on February 15, 2011 at 12:43 AM

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 12:34 AM

I don’t see Palin as all that honest either really. I don’t even like her well enough to track all the stuff. But I remember she was pretty dishonest in that talk about the bridge to no where and taking money from the feds and all that stuff… I dont’ remember but it didn’t make a very good impression.

But she is a politician and a human. She makes decisions and says things. I don’t know that I’d buy a car from her. I don’t think she is a with different in that respect. I can’t imagine how she seems so honest to you. She is just a politician who says snarky things that are occasionally funny.

I think you all must feel sorry for her. Like she’s the ugly duckling running for homecomming queen. I really don’t understand why people are so nuts for her. She is nothing special. And she has made so many stupid mistakes and she has let the media take control of her life. She is not very good. And she has next to no experience. And she has done nothing to make up for her lack of experience and knowledge. She doesn’t even try to educate herself. Having her in the Whitehouse would be such a circus. We don’t need a circus.

That said… as a talking head she is great. I love snark and witty little slogans in a talking head. But as the leader of the free world? If she is the best we have then…

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:46 AM

miConsevative on February 15, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Yeah. Where was the unity brigade when Specter, Murkowski, Crist et al turned GOP away?

promachus on February 15, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Unity is why we can’t afford Palin or Huck. Job one is beating Obama.

JeffB. on February 15, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Vince on February 15, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Good Point. Why is it all the people who look for ‘unity above everything else’ who expect everyone else to drop their principles to be in unity with them? If they are all about unity, they should be the ones proclaiming the good points of the other candidates and getting behind them instead of them constantly spouting their divisive talk about how everyone else is so divisive.

While they are all about ‘unity’ they tear down all the others in the GOP field where the ‘divisive’ Palin hasn’t said a negative word about anyone else in the party except the few times she’s spoken up in her own defense at one of them tearing her down.

miConsevative on February 15, 2011 at 12:48 AM

MUST DEFEAT OBAMA…

Keep your eyes on the prize…

Khun Joe on February 15, 2011 at 12:50 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Oh she has no experience at all. She didn’t face off corruption in her own party or fight Big Oil companies, no she didn’t slay the healthcare juggernaut with great arguments, she didn’t design new tax sturcture for her state, decrease the budgets, increase the savings, no she didn’t do any of these at all. Why she’s just a talking show host because she says funny things. But Mitt is presidential material because he’s very boring. We love boring.

Did it occur to you we’re living in twitter/facebook age and she’s the first republican to face the onslaught of not just MSM but a fully intergated attack machine of Daily kos, Jornolist Huff Poo and the MSM? No, it’s her faultreally that the media trashes her, stalks her family etc.

promachus on February 15, 2011 at 12:51 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Wow. You managed to fit almost all the unsupported lefty talking points about her into one comment – though you lose points for leaving out the ‘quitter’ meme. That’s really the only thing from qualifying you as a complete ignoramus on the subject of Sarah Palin. Wear your award with pride.

miConsevative on February 15, 2011 at 12:52 AM

I have never been where the Palin supporters are. I have never been so in love with a candidate that I could not see them.

I do truly think that many of you do not see Sarah Palin.

I don’t think most of the country sees what you do.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:53 AM

miConsevative on February 15, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Maybe if lots of different people from different political spectrums are seeing the same faults in her there is a little tiny bit of truth behind them?

Of course not she’s your personal Sarah Palin… she’s just wonderful.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:55 AM

She’s not honest because she claimed rightly that she struck the bridge to nowhere while a governor but she may’ve supported it initially when still a local activist. Why, she should have just let the waste continue instead of changing her mind and that’d be honest. She should have followed mittens, pro-life one day, pro-choice the next, capitalist one day, socialist the next. taht’d be hnest enough for you.

promachus on February 15, 2011 at 12:55 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:46 AM

You don’t like her well enough to track all that stuff, but you’ll go right ahead and say she’s dishonest even though you don’t remember the specifics.

That doesn’t say a whole lot for your integrity, you know. Why should anyone pay any attention to anything you say about anyone?

INC on February 15, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Eh Petunia, the standard of truth group consensus now?

promachus on February 15, 2011 at 12:56 AM

bluemarlin on February 15, 2011 at 12:35 AM

You are one of the few.

I say that from months of avoiding Palin threads because they are full of hate for anyone that doesn’t gravel at her feet. They are truly a crazed lot.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:57 AM

I like Mitt’s business acumen, but he’s no Reagan.
I like Daniels’ speech, but he’s no Reagan.
I like Newt’s intellect, but he’s no Reagan.
I like Pawlenty’s wonky fiscal solutions, but he’s no Reagan.

After Carter on steroids, don’t we deserve a Reagan?

John the Libertarian on February 15, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Fortunately, some people did care enough to track what happened on the Bridge to Nowhere.

This is from Dan McLaughlin. He has numerous embedded links at his site:

Palin entered office in December 2006 with the federal funds in hand but discretion whether to use them on the Ketchikan Bridge or less wasteful projects, as a result of the funds being provided without being earmarked. And from then on, as her budget team reviewed the project in the context of competing priorities, she began casting a more skeptical eye, building up to her killing of the project. 11 days into her term, she proposed her first budget which included no additional funds for the “Bridge to Nowhere” saying, “We need to make wise, sensible choices.” State funds would have been needed because the federal dollars were not enough to keep up with the escalating cost estimates for the bridge.

In February 2007, National Review noted that the bridge’s cost estimate had reached $395 million and that opponents were encouraged by Palin’s hesitancy to fund the out-of-control project…

The necessary state money was not included in the state budget in May, and the DOT put the project on hold in August. Finally, on September 21, 2007, Palin officially killed the bridge project, although her statement was couched in conciliatory terms…

Palin’s decision instantly split those who had followed the saga, but nobody had any doubt who killed the bridge. ABC News reported on September 21, 2007:

Friday, the state of Alaska officially sank the Bridge to Nowhere. Governor Sarah Palin, also a Republican, said “Ketchikan desires a better way to reach the airport.” “But,” she said, the bridge “is not the answer.” Palin has told state transportation officials to look for the most “fiscally responsible” alternative.

INC on February 15, 2011 at 12:59 AM

INC on February 15, 2011 at 12:56 AM

I haven’t followed her because she is not interesting. She has not done anything to improve herself since 2008, unless you call hunting and fishing on TV good prep…

Have you followed all the canidates you don’t especially like?

No but I am dishonest in my dislike… because we all know that she is perfect.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Just because someone’s book-smart doesn’t mean that they possess common sense.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 15, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Quoted For Agreement.
The question people who don’t get the “Palin Thing”, should be asking is, is she smart enough to know that she is not the smartest person in the room. If Palin has the character to realize that she is not the smartest person in the room, then she will seek out the smartest people for guidance. This, in my opinion, is Obama’s biggest short coming, he in his opinion is always the smartest.
Palin has more than demonstrated her leadership qualities.
Even her biggest detractors would grant her that, I believe.
What I believe that this country needs is a strong leader with the ability to give us the confidence that this countries finest days are not behind her. The problem that many Palinistas have with the other pretenders is that they either refuse to lead or that they have no leadership capabilites.

P. Monk on February 15, 2011 at 1:01 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Sorry Hun. I’m not getting into any extended debate with you as I’m smart enough to see from the start that to you, what you ‘feel’ about a subject is the trump card in any discussion, facts be damned.

I foresee the noises my head make hitting a brick wall would be a more intelligent conversation than any back and forth with you, so have a nice night.

miConsevative on February 15, 2011 at 1:01 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:57 AM

While Sarah Palin certainly has her supporters, lately I can only remember one who takes on all comers.

You, on the other hand, seem to be going out of your way to try to stir up a fight.

People has disagreed with you on this thread, but I have yet to see anyone “hate”.

INC on February 15, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Here’s how I picture the argument.

Daniels is for the Salad Bowl theory (if you are in political science, you know this) of conservatism (often called big tent). The idea is that we have all these different types of conservatism that different people can latch onto. The buzzword becomes “diversity” and we respect each others’ “differences” among us. “Individuality” is king.

I am (and I believe Palin is too) of the melting pot theory of conservatism. Anyone can come in and bring some of their own flavor to the pot, but they are going to have to meld into the same mold. The buzzword here is “similarites” and we celebrate a “conformity” to a standard set of principles. “Unity” is king.

In the Salad Bowl, you see even in the definition how it cannot work. Words like “diverse” and “differences” are inherently divisive. Individuality is great at times, but few good teams are made up of individuals.

The melting pot, on the other hand, requires a sacrifice of those wishing to enter. They must give up some of their “individuality” for “unity” and “conformity.” The base of the pot stays the same no matter what you put into it and it becomes one blend. The basic ingredients to the brew are never rejected, but the new elements, rather, conform to them. If you want to show a united front, get in the pot and leave the salad bowl to its eventual demise.

A salad can be taken apart by removing one element at a time. It takes a lot more work and effort to break apart a blend of ingredients melted together in a pot. In other words, the brew, no matter how small, will still be stronger than the Salad, no matter how large.

The Salad Bowl doesn’t work in culture and it won’t win an election. If you are serious about 2012, get out of the bowl and jump in the pot. There are no -cons in the pot, but there are a set of principles you’ll have to accept, but trust me, in the end you’ll be full and satisfied.

Pattosensei on February 15, 2011 at 1:02 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:00 AM

If you haven’t followed her, then it behooves you to refrain from saying she is dishonest unless you provide link and information.

Otherwise you sound like someone from MSNBC.

INC on February 15, 2011 at 1:03 AM

John the Libertarian on February 15, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Please tell me you don’t mean Palin. That makes me want to throw up.

Maybe if she runs California for what 12 years and runs the actors union full of communists. And has a economics degree from just one school in four years… and runs when she is 65 or so after she gets some experience.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Petunia, forgive me if I don’t believe your sincerity to supporting Palin if she is the nominee. Here are some of your lovely Palin-droppings from just this thread:

She does not walk on water either.

And I think she is weird.

Your devotion to Palin is sick, by the way.

But your infatuation with her has blinded you to her flaws.

She hates people who know anything about anything.

She has a blind spot to thinking people who have experience or education

You have not a shred of love for this country.

But I remember she was pretty dishonest

I don’t know that I’d buy a car from her.

I can’t imagine how she seems so honest to you.

She doesn’t even try to educate herself.

Having her in the Whitehouse would be such a circus.

I do truly think that many of you do not see Sarah Palin.

With all your ranting, I can tell you are very jealous of Sarah Palin. She is a successful, conservative woman who is not tied down by some of the restrictions that you Petunia have done to yourself.

Petunia is a woman who is shackled to primitive thinking. That woman have their place, and that is in the home. Women are to be servants to their husbands, and her petty snipping at Palin in the quotes I have offered as proof are very revealing.

Petunia, stay at home. Be happy. Perform your calling in the Relief Society. Maybe your daughter(s) will enjoy the enlightenment you so freely shun.

portlandon on February 15, 2011 at 1:04 AM

bluemarlin on February 15, 2011 at 12:35 AM

You are one of the few.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:57 AM

I’m not a Palin supporter either but I get along with most of the people here that are.
When I disagree, I try to do it respectfully and with a smile. I also not to take myself too seriously.
I have stepped into it more than once, and had to make my peace with a few people-but that’s water under the bridge now.
Come November 2012 they know that I’ll support Gov. Palin if she’s the nominee and I know they’ll support T-Paw if HE’S the nominee.
I even get along well with Gary.
It’s all in how you approach the subject.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 15, 2011 at 1:07 AM

I don’t find her particularly dishonest for a politician, certainly not more dishonest than say Huckabee, or Gingrich. They all spin. She is the same. She is not more or less honest than the rest. Neither was Reagan really, they tell you what you want to hear. She is better at it than Mitt is… the spin I mean.

I still don’t think I’d buy a car from her.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Please tell me you don’t mean Palin. That makes me want to throw up.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Somebody took the bait… somebody took the baaaait.

John the Libertarian on February 15, 2011 at 1:10 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:57 AM

You are an absolute self made Palin Martyr. You have been coming to Palin threads for years now, dumping on Palin, promoting Mitt Romney since ’08. You leave snide remarks, and if anyone ever tries to push you on your irrational arguments you whine about Palin supporters being “mean” to you.

This whole thread has is full of you poking Palin supporters in the eye. Don’t be surprised if they happen to respond to you.

portlandon on February 15, 2011 at 1:11 AM

For any interested in some good bookmarks, back in October of 2008, Dan McLaughlin did a lengthy series called The Integrity Gap. If there was justice in journalism, then he should have been awarded a prize.

There are numerous embedded links in his posts. When I need details about what BHO was up to while he was in the IL legislature I frequently go back to the things he wrote.

Part I was about Sarah Palin.

Part II was about BHO. This was the lengthiest part of the series with an intro post and six separate posts about BHO’s life, education and career. There’s a lot here about IL politics and the Chicago machine.

I think he lumped McCain and Biden together in Part III because their pasts and their careers were already known.

INC on February 15, 2011 at 1:11 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:09 AM

So, let us say Mitt can apply for the job when he has governed MA for 12 years okay?

promachus on February 15, 2011 at 1:12 AM

portlandon on February 15, 2011 at 1:04 AM

See you take anything I say against Palin as a personal attack and so you attack me.

You don’t think you are a bit too tied up in the woman?

I wish you people could see yourselves. You are exactly like the Obama people.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:12 AM

I know better than to expect the GOP to demonstrate conservative purity anytime soon. However, if the party wants my vote & my money, in 2012 then it’s time to demonstrate a meaningful, significant distinction between the behavior of the GOP & the behavior of progressives. Act. Stop trying to bull**** me.

Slash all spending. Cut taxes. Cut regulations. Strengthen our combat capabilities. Devolve authority to the States & to the people. Celebrate the Judeo-Christian foundation of our culture.

Do something on that list. Or we’ll replace you.

OhioCoastie on February 15, 2011 at 1:12 AM

promachus on February 15, 2011 at 1:12 AM

I expressed my problems with Mitt and I am not supporting him.

I can support a person on policy. And not become cultish.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:13 AM

unseen

Terrible showing? He came in second. No wonder you think Palin will win. You think the lower you finish, the better, lol.

Oh, wait, was that a sarcastic attempt at equating Palin’s plummeting appeal at the hands of the media to Mitt? Lame.

xblade on February 15, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Please tell me you don’t mean Palin. That makes me want to throw up.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:03 AM

That’s it, let out the hate, you’ll feel better in the morning.

P. Monk on February 15, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Have you followed all the canidates you don’t especially like?

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:00 Am

why yes yes I have because as a person that loves my country I think its my civic duty to be knowledgeable on all the candidates. when I attack another candidate I do so from knowledge not feelings. when I call out people like Daniels for talking democrat talking points like means testing and death panels and union friendliness it’s because I know that is what he said. when I say Mitt was against Reagan before he was for Reagan i do it from my study of the candidates. And when i say Palin is honest I do that from knowledge of her record not from the MSM lefty talking points.

you say you don’t follow Palin because you don’t find her interesting…fair enough but then you should not pretend to know anything about the woman. Like I said before you Palin seems like she is from outerspace because you have failed to take the time to research her and know who she is.

Her supporters, supporter her because they have taken the time to do that research. Yet you fail to see that and make snide comments on her supporters level of support for the woman.

Did you ever stop to think maybe there is something there as too why Palin garners the depth and quaniity of support she does?

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Keep your eyes on the prize…

Khun Joe on February 15, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Right now, I don’t care about who defeats Obama, unless the left can put Hillary up against Obama, then we can substitute one socialist for another, like a bad change of underwear.

Imagine the worst possible scenario, Obama gets reelected.

Now imagine the MSM, the beltway elites, talking heads, all telling us who to vote for. I’m seeing this now.

Kini on February 15, 2011 at 1:15 AM

terrible showing? He came in second. No wonder you think Palin will win. You think the lower you finish, the better, lol.

xblade on February 15, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Mitt bought enough votes to finish second. Yet his speech bombed. Rubin panned it. Salon.com snickered at it. no one was talking about it and Mitt got upstaged by a fake Palin on the day he gave his speech. Mitt’s showing at CPAc was a very sad day for Mitt supporters. No one even remembers the speech. I doubt Mitt runs this is the second year in a row he bombed at CPAC.

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 1:17 AM

I can support a person on policy. And not become cultish.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:13 AM

What is policy? Because I didn’t see any policy in your childish ignorant rants.

promachus on February 15, 2011 at 1:18 AM

INC on February 15, 2011 at 1:11 AM

thx for the links….good stuff

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 1:19 AM

INC on February 15, 2011 at 1:01 AM

portlandon on February 15, 2011 at 1:04 AM

This person is a hater. She has attack me before. And she is truly vile in doing it.

But I suppose that’s fine because anyone who would vote for Palin, but whose heart is impure… deserves this treatment.

In person she would stone me, for ifidelity and lack of integrity… an accusation I believe you made… although I tthink I was perfectly honest in telling you I wasn’t interested to follow her closely… she has made a bad impression and I lost interest.

But yet I lack integrity. Yes I call that hate.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:19 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Wow, this is just astonishing to me. The reason why MOST of us support Palin is because of her love of country, God and her family. She has the right values. None of use would want to petulantly see the “country burn” because we don’t get our way in the primary. Remember, we can “reload” and put her forward again in 2016 or 2020.

Petunia, I think you are not a rational person.

karenhasfreedom on February 15, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Wow… what happened here? Petunia is being paid for her services to Romney Obama, right?

MeatHeadinCA on February 15, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Petunia, I think you are not a rational person.

karenhasfreedom on February 15, 2011 at 1:21 AM

hater /

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 1:22 AM

damn flu.

unseen on February 15, 2011 at 1:23 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:19 AM

If you’ll look at the time stamp on the comments, mine was made before the one you quoted after mine.

You can’t disprove my comment after the fact by claiming it applies to everything said later.

INC on February 15, 2011 at 1:23 AM

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Oh dear, we don’t have the right of the way to attack a leading presidential candidate, do we? We can dump on the governor but anybody returns the favor, they are haters.

From your childish rants, only you come across as a hater. I dunno about others but my support for Palin stems from convictions and research, not feelings. I don’t think she’s particularly beautiful or anything of the sort. I don’t hero worship her. She has a great record, she is the exact deal required and she has shown she can do things necessary, she’s the right person for the right time. Unlike Mitt, huck or others.

promachus on February 15, 2011 at 1:23 AM

I still don’t think I’d buy a car from her.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:09 AM

For me, the question is more, “would she buy a car company, with my tax money?”

The answer’s clearly no, which already makes her better than our current WH occupant.

Make no mistake, I would vote for a chicken sandwitch over the Dem. nominee in ’12. But until another candidate comes forward who is willing to talk the talk that Palin has done so far, she’s my choice. And just as I hoped (to no avail) that people would support the primary winners in some of the elections that didn’t wind up going our way, I actually WOULD support the primary winner no matter who it is. I’d just be more enthusiastic about some than others.

Despite what you’ve convinced yourself to believe, I don’t “worship” her, I don’t think she “walks on water,” I don’t think she’s flawless, and I don’t agree with everything she says. But boy oh boy do I like most of what she says and how she says it, and the fact that she says it without running it by a focus group after a week of polling. Although that does lead to the occasional e-mail with less than perfect grammer (heaven forbid!)

I’d comment on what other candidates have to say…but they’re really not saying all that much. Even when you, me, and nearly everyone else in this forum have been accused of being an accessory to murder.

DrAllecon on February 15, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Oh, good grief. Cut the martyr act, petunia. You’re not persuading anybody with that.

OhioCoastie on February 15, 2011 at 1:23 AM

MeatHeadinCA on February 15, 2011 at 1:21 AM

I am beginning to think so, WOW!

bluemarlin on February 15, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Petunia,

Anyway, you remind me of one of my kids who would irritate the other one until the second got mad.

Then the first would run to me complaining about the second.

You’ve been trying to stir up a hornet’s nest for a while just so you can then conclude you were right all along.

INC on February 15, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Remember, we can “reload” and put her forward again in 2016 or 2020.

Petunia, I think you are not a rational person.

karenhasfreedom on February 15, 2011 at 1:21 AM

With palin, we can wait. The urgencys tems from the fact that the GOp doesn’t have a deep bench of reliable political performers like her.

promachus on February 15, 2011 at 1:24 AM

I still don’t think I’d buy a car from her.

petunia on February 15, 2011 at 1:09 AM

How about a snow machine? Do you know what I am asking about?

bluemarlin on February 15, 2011 at 1:25 AM

MeatHeadinCA on February 15, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Hi Meaty.
*offers bag of oyster crackers*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 15, 2011 at 1:26 AM

I am beginning to think so, WOW!

bluemarlin on February 15, 2011 at 1:24 AM

I have little doubt that that sheryl chick on the other night has some sort of connections to either Axelrod or Romney.

The Palinistas can come off overly devoted at times … but the Mittbots can be downright frothing at the mouth.

MeatHeadinCA on February 15, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Petunia

Saying that a question about one of the cornerstones is asking Romney to cast pearls before swine then you can justify any act, statement, financial and philosophical support of abortion and betrayal of his promises. He has done nothing but pander and obfuscate. He has no core beliefs.

To stack him up against Gov Palin and pretend that the comparison leaves her wanting means that you are either blinded by devotion or governed by irrationality.

Mormon Doc on February 15, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Hi Meaty.
*offers bag of oyster crackers*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 15, 2011 at 1:26 AM

*munch munch

Uhhh… maybe too much chocolate today.

MeatHeadinCA on February 15, 2011 at 1:29 AM

MeatHeadinCA on February 15, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Petunia is a Mormon. That should explain everything.

promachus on February 15, 2011 at 1:30 AM

MeatHeadinCA on February 15, 2011 at 1:27 AM

And let me guess…’we’ T-Pawrrr’s put people to sleep-right?
LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on February 15, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Petunia,

You’re the one who called Palin dishonest despite the fact you said you didn’t follow her closely. You then tried to deflect my critique of that statement by finding something you thought I was wrong about.

What’s with you?

If you don’t like Palin, then give specifics, not smears and support what you have to say with some facts.

INC on February 15, 2011 at 1:31 AM

And let me guess…’we’ T-Pawrrr’s put people to sleep-right?
LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on February 15, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Well, we need somebody to help spread a little calm around here sometimes! :)

INC on February 15, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Petunia is a Mormon. That should explain everything.

promachus on February 15, 2011 at 1:30 AM

So is Mormon Doc … uh oh … rift?

MeatHeadinCA on February 15, 2011 at 1:32 AM

I like Mitt’s business acumen, but he’s no Reagan.
I like Daniels’ speech, but he’s no Reagan.
I like Newt’s intellect, but he’s no Reagan.
I like Pawlenty’s wonky fiscal solutions, but he’s no Reagan.

After Carter on steroids, don’t we deserve a Reagan?

John the Libertarian

Meanwhile, back in the real world.

What we deserve, and what we can get aren’t necessarily the same things. Sadly, there IS no Reagan out there.

xblade on February 15, 2011 at 1:33 AM

@alt

Not you guys … your man, TPaw. Plus, he really comes off awkward when trying to dodge a question.

MeatHeadinCA on February 15, 2011 at 1:33 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 15, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Nah, you are just like your name, annoying. As long as you don’t stoop to smears, I don’t mind your tpaw worship. I find it ridiculous. I thought well of the man until he waded in the Giffords lynching.

promachus on February 15, 2011 at 1:33 AM