Post-CPAC Straw Poll

posted at 2:55 pm on February 14, 2011 by Patrick Ishmael

I can appreciate everyone’s interest in promoting their candidates. I am not, however, keen on folks trying to vote multiple times to throw the results. It’s very, very easy to figure out if certain candidate backers are trying to stuff the ballot box, 1.) through the source of the vote, 2.) the combination of candidates chosen, particularly at the top of the ticket, and 3.) the timestamp on those votes. When people violate the clearly stated rules, their votes are removed from the published totals.

To reiterate: It is not to your advantage to try and fail to get more than one vote through; in fact, it hurts your candidate. I want this to be a fairly representative poll, but as I’ve indicated, there have been some real consequences to the ACORN-ing major candidate backers out there. (Side note: Whose backers are trying to game this poll is revealing in its own way.)

So we’re going to try this again. I’ve added three new candidates to the mix: Rudy Giuliani, Jon Huntsman, and Michele Bachmann. I’ve also added a pair of security questions to hopefully deter double-, triple-, or several-dozen-times-over voters. It’s already easy to find these voters; hopefully the security questions will make it less palatable to try it anyway.

I hope voters don’t try to game the system this time around. Please abide by the rules.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Do we start over again?

Fallon on February 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Hey there… I voted on this over when it was in the Green Room, both the first time and when it was reset to add more folks.

Has it been reset again with its promotion to the main article section or does my vote from the Green Room stand?

powerpro on February 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM

I voted yesterday. When do we get to see the results?

Knucklehead on February 14, 2011 at 3:00 PM

I’m assuming that the votes from yesterday’s (second) poll at the Green Room are still tallied.

Is that right, Patrick?

Y-not on February 14, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I’m like others here, do I vote again? I voted in the first and this poll.
L

letget on February 14, 2011 at 3:04 PM

powerpro on February 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Nope, not reset. If you voted in the Greenroom on this post, your vote’s in and you’re good to go; please don’t vote a second time. I appreciate you asking!

Patrick Ishmael on February 14, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Patrick Ishmael on February 14, 2011 at 3:05 PM

You might have mentioned that. I assumed from the gaming you were going to toss the others and voted again.

Rocks on February 14, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I didn’t see either Castle or Crist on that list so I’m not voting.

Bishop on February 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Patrick Ishmael on February 14, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Sure thing and thank you for setting up this poll. It’ll be fun to see how things go! :)

My choice? Palin/West. And I’m very committed to doing whatever I need to do to help make President Palin happen.

powerpro on February 14, 2011 at 3:12 PM

In that case I think I’ll vote for Ron Paul 20 times!

DarkCurrent on February 14, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I didn’t see either Castle or Crist on that list so I’m not voting.

Bishop on February 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM

You forgot Clinton, Obama, Dodd, Frank, Kennedy, Murtha, Byrd, etc.!! lol

nwsseeker on February 14, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Is the poll open to HotAir registered viewers or to anyone on the site?

portlandon on February 14, 2011 at 3:15 PM

There are others who would be viable VPs apart from your list as well.

I’m thinking specifically about Martinez, Sandoval, and Fortuño. VPs are more than just prospective presidential candidates.

KingGold on February 14, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I didn’t see either Castle or Crist on that list so I’m not voting.

Bishop on February 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Where is John McCain on that list?

portlandon on February 14, 2011 at 3:16 PM

portlandon on February 14, 2011 at 3:15 PM

You mean the Paulians who seem to have appeared out of nowhere on the other thread?

kingsjester on February 14, 2011 at 3:17 PM

For the future, the VP list should be somewhat different. It should include people like Martinez, Fallin, Haley, Ayotte, Sandoval, Kasich, etc. Thanks for doing this!

IR-MN on February 14, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I can only guess who has tried to game the system. Human spambots

Kermit on February 14, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I didn’t see either Castle or Crist on that list so I’m not voting.

Bishop on February 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM

That’s true. Who’s Allah going to vote for now? Never mind, I see you have Trump and Giuliani.

Rocks on February 14, 2011 at 3:23 PM

IR-MN on February 14, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Just added “Other” and an open blank on the VP question. If you’ve already voted, please don’t vote again to change your VP choice. I’ll make sure an open VP option is standard in future polls. I’m open to adding names to the VP list that aren’t going to be on the President list; just lay them out here.

Patrick Ishmael on February 14, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I voted yesterday. When do we get to see the results?

Knucklehead on February 14, 2011 at 3:00 PM

When results meet the approval of the editors.

maverick muse on February 14, 2011 at 3:24 PM

In that case I think I’ll vote for Ron Paul 20 times!

DarkCurrent on February 14, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Sorry! No can do. He’s not an option.

Americans: It’s the economy, stupid!

GOP: WAR!!!!!!!

Rae on February 14, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I also voted again thinking the poll from the other day was thrown out. Sorry!

bigmike87 on February 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I was gonna pick Santorum, but he told me that Arlen Specter would be a better pick.

mankai on February 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM

ROFL…..had to redo the poll? wow someone must have been running away with it….

unseen on February 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Will Jimmy Carter certify the results…?

d1carter on February 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM

When results meet the approval of the editors.

maverick muse on February 14, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Oh Snap!

portlandon on February 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Ryan/West

The debates would be awesome….

mankai on February 14, 2011 at 3:28 PM

If I vote twice does that mean that I’m dead, buried in a Chicago cemetery?

*pinches self, takes own pulse*

I’m good.

turfmann on February 14, 2011 at 3:28 PM

When results meet the approval of the editors.

maverick muse on February 14, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Oh no, you di’it!

kingsjester on February 14, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Is the poll open to HotAir registered viewers or to anyone on the site?

portlandon on February 14, 2011 at 3:15 PM

no and most of those 3 things can be explained by other posters linking to the poll. It cause a massive influx of procandidate votes say if you link this poll to MITTisgreat.com or Conservatives4palin.com website….

unseen on February 14, 2011 at 3:31 PM

ROFL…..had to redo the poll? wow someone must have been running away with it….

unseen on February 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Here’s a clue…it wasn’t Mittens.

kingsjester on February 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM

For me at this early date:
#1 choice Palin/Rubio or West
#2 ???????????????
#3 choice Daniels/West or Rubio

3dpuzzman on February 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I can only guess who has tried to game the system. Human spambots

Kermit on February 14, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Round up the usual supects.

katy the mean old lady on February 14, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Patrick Ishmael on February 14, 2011 at 3:23 PM

that will give you skewed results. either leave all names off or place all names on. An “other check gives bad results”

I would think just leaving a blank space and allowing all voters to writein thier choice on VP would give you better real results on who is bubbling up in the country….

unseen on February 14, 2011 at 3:34 PM

#3 choice Daniels/West or Rubio

3dpuzzman on February 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I don’t know…Danials coming out for means testing of SS and medicare and death panels pretty much destoryed any hope he ever had of me casting a vote for him. If I wanted a dem in office I’ll just vote for the dem…

unseen on February 14, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I was wondering…what is the going rate for spamming HA? You know with the recession and all…/

d1carter on February 14, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Here’s a clue…it wasn’t Mittens.

kingsjester on February 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I think it’s funny in a way because the entire CPAC straw poll was gamed by Mitt and Ron Paul…..now we are told with a post straw-poll we should follow rules not in effect for the real CPAC poll.

unseen on February 14, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I think that CPAC will lose any relevency if it gets taken over by Pauliens.

Voter from WA State on February 14, 2011 at 3:36 PM

CPAC has always been an attempt by the establishment to pick the “true conservative” for the base. Most of those speaking at CPAc this year was more establishment than conservative.

unseen on February 14, 2011 at 3:38 PM

d1carter on February 14, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I don’t know. Ask that dude that took over the Ron Paul CPAC Thread.

kingsjester on February 14, 2011 at 3:38 PM

You know you have made it to the top when you have the Paul-Bots spamming a poll on your site!

upinak on February 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Does anyone think Mitt had a good speech at CPAC. m,ost reviews I have seen panned it along with Thunes. The rino’s got all excited with Mitch’s speech where he come out as a democrat. Other than that I think Rand Paul and Alan West’s were the best speeches….

unseen on February 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Which ones are the candidates of the Libertarian Brotherhood?

BL@KBIRD on February 14, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Which ones are the candidates of the Libertarian Brotherhood?

BL@KBIRD on February 14, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I think we need a caniddate that is mixed libertarian/social conservative/fiscal and defense issues.

A pure libertarian is a lost cause…i think Rand Paul is trying to thread the needle but he is failing on defense issues and he hasn’t really made an effort at social issues.

West looks good and of course Palin is pretty much in the sweet spot as far as I see…

unseen on February 14, 2011 at 3:48 PM

The warning about multiple submissions is for you Paulbots.

The Notorious G.O.P on February 14, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Voted Pawlenty(That’s one vote. *sigh*) and West.
Jindal was actually my first choice for President…but he ain’t running.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 14, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Awwww….

Some of the Paultards are mad their messiah isn’t on the poll. Shouldn’t have spammed the damn thing then…

catmman on February 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Hey-I just noticed that Herr Doktor wasn’t included.
Good times!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 14, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I’m not strongly committed to the lady I selected in this poll….if someone better comes along, great. I agree with Coulter that if Romney gets the nod, we’re looking at four more years of Barry.

….and before you yell at me, of course I’d vote for Romney, Daniels, or a half eaten dill pickle over Obama.

ElectricPhase on February 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Ron Paul wins the biggest wacko still in office straw poll….unanimously!

search4truth on February 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Cain-West 2012 Dream Ticket

Key West Reader on February 14, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Cain-West 2012 Dream Ticket

Key West Reader on February 14, 2011 at 4:49 PM

That’s my second string dream ticket. West for me is locked in as my VP choice though.

powerpro on February 14, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I vote for Ron Paul.

Since he’s taken off this list, I assume this poll is about 2nd place?

iamse7en on February 14, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I am going with Daniels, but in the end would even vote for Huckabee if it was a vote against Obama.

bopbottle on February 14, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Uh oh. Get the waaaahhhhhhhlmbuance.

Really? This is as pitiful as if the Steeler cried and whined and had a second super bowl, except not against the Packers because they beat them. Don’t pay much attention to the Green Room, must be slim pickins.

LevStrauss on February 14, 2011 at 5:01 PM

My vote: Petraeus/Cain (military/economy)

I’d like to see John Bolton in either of the lists.

I am a Palin supporter who honestly thinks she is better set up as a kingmaker, not a candidate. I like her in that role – fundraising, speechifying, and generally keeping the GOP angling to the right. If she ran, I would support her.

However, since I don’t believe she will, I’m hoping for Petraeus. I think he’s one of the few men on that list who could top a ticket with Cain and not look like the cliche of an old, wrinkly white guy (the usual GOP fare) with a feisty black sidekick. Petraeus would bring gravitas and clarity to our foreign policy (something Obama has turned into a running gag). And with Cain there to bring the economic sense and common sense, I have to say I love the pairing.

I think Bolton could also pull off that pairing.

I really love West, too, but as a freshman Congressman, I’d like to see him firing up Congress a little longer.

Redhead Infidel on February 14, 2011 at 5:03 PM

This will shock you Palinistas who think my every comment is because I’m trying to diminish her to make Mitt look better:

I went with Christie/Cain.

Buy Danish on February 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM

powerpro on February 14, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Happy Valentine’s Day! :)

Geochelone on February 14, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Another volley fired by Fort Palin:

The Truth Behind the White House’s Budget Spin
by Sarah Palin on Monday, February 14, 2011 at 12:12pm

Today the White House finally produced its proposal for the 2012 budget. Beware of the left’s attempt to sell this as “getting tough on the deficit,” because as an analysis from Americans for Tax Reform shows, the White House’s plans are more about raising taxes and growing more government than reducing budget shortfalls.

The fine print reveals a White House proposal to increase taxes by at least $1.5 trillion over the next decade. If you want to know how minuscule their proposed $775 million-a-year budget “cuts” really are, please look at this chart. The proposed cuts are so insignificant – less than 1/10 of 1% of this year’s $1.65 trillion budget deficit – that they are essentially invisible on the pie chart. That speaks volumes about today’s budget.

- Sarah Palin

There are links embedded in that post.

Happy Valentine’s Day! :)

Geochelone on February 14, 2011 at 5:11 PM

To you too, sweetness!

powerpro on February 14, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I vote for Ron Paul.

iamse7en on February 14, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I just gotta ask… Who would be your second choice?

Fallon on February 14, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Palin/West 2012

hawkman on February 14, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Cain-West 2012 Dream Ticket

Key West Reader on February 14, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I had Cain-Ryan, but I’d be just fine with West instead.

ReformedAndDangerous on February 14, 2011 at 10:10 PM

So if Paul wins, it’s spam.
If Romney wins, it’s the will of the HotAir faithful.
LOL.

Let’s exclude the actual CPAC winner, cuz we don’t want no limited gubmint round here. That’s downright kooky!

shawk on February 15, 2011 at 6:11 AM

You know, I come to this site every day for information. I understand that Paul can evoke strong emotions on both sides. But, excluding him from the list because you don’t care for the results of the original poll? Or, more importantly, because you don’t care for his politics? That is like something straight out of the Democrat playbook. Whether you like him or not, he’s got a strong group of supporters who consider themselves limited-government conservatives. That inconvenient fact isn’t going away anytime soon for you – no matter how much you try and censor him from the record. I can honestly say that I’m really disappointed in Hotair today. While I’ve had problems with some of the past comment censorship, I didn’t think you guys would ever sink to this low.

RobbBond on February 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM

When do we get to see the results of the poll? I hope it doesn’t fall into a black hole because AP’s/Ed’s favorite didn’t finish first like the last poll.

You wouldn’t do that again would you Ed?

WisRich on February 15, 2011 at 11:31 AM

You wouldn’t do that again would you Ed?

WisRich on February 15, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Uh, when did Ed ever do that?

Patrick Ishmael on February 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Palin/West 2012

hawkman on February 14, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Me, too, but the world may never know

Fallon on February 15, 2011 at 4:23 PM