Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:00 am on February 13, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Time to watch history unfold and impose your system of determining the Obamateurism of the Week on our poll!  You can and should celebrate these WTF moments, properly quoted of course — it’s an obligation!

Previous 2011 “winners”:

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me atobamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

“You took one for the Gipper.”

JellyToast on February 13, 2011 at 9:02 AM

dang, tough choice this am between 2 and 4…they are both the same, just a different audience…

cmsinaz on February 13, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Have to go with WTF statement from the photo negative of Pee Wee Herman.

50sGuy on February 13, 2011 at 9:03 AM

A “Community Organizer” telling business leaders what their obligation is – no wonder we’re in this mess!

PatMac on February 13, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I have to pick the quote from the Chamber of Commerce. At best, it shows his ignorance of basic economics; at worst, it demonstrates his (national) socialist world view.

Cairo is a close second, which continues to demonstrate the administrations “Do as I say, not as I do” philosophy.

EliTheBean on February 13, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Even with a “laser focus on the economy,” he still can’t figure out the why and how of job creation.

nogooddeed on February 13, 2011 at 9:18 AM

He can tell businesses whatever he wants to tell them. because he is completely unencumbered by any knowledge of how and what businesses actually do.

iurockhead on February 13, 2011 at 9:20 AM

“But what is absolutely clear is that we are witnessing history unfold.”

This vacuous statement is certainly not one that I would vote for, but seriously what does it mean? Good grief, every moment of time that passes adds to history-making.

What is with this jerk? Every event that occurs is somehow “historical” for ObaMao. Does he make these pronouncements after each of his morning bowel movements, too?

onlineanalyst on February 13, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Obviously, the solution is new federal regulations that force struggling companies to hire new people. Is there any other way to create jobs? I can’t remember. It was so long ago.

RBMN on February 13, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I wish the poll had been separated into 2 parts: Foreign policy and domestic. Because there is a superduper Obamateurism in each area.

VBMax on February 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Really tough choices this week. How does the guy manage to keep topping his last gaff? And then do it with such frequency? Amazing. He reall is the one./s

JimP on February 13, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Everyone of them are vote-worthy and have been since the beginning. I long for the day this guy is out of the WH, but then we would have Slo Jo…………………..never mind.

BetseyRoss on February 13, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Never in the history of our media has one person’s conflicting conglomeration of contrariety been so ignored. And to think, (in the minds of the liberal media), Bush was the idiot.

Rovin on February 13, 2011 at 9:39 AM

As a Christian who has studied the Bible for 31 yrs, I find the Obama Bible misquote “much ado about nothing”.
(No, that’s not a Bible quote)

itsnotaboutme on February 13, 2011 at 9:40 AM

This is another close one with a field of “excellent” choices, so I will finish my coffee before I render a decision. I can’t believe this clown is the president.

Philly on February 13, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I think a special award should go to Clapper for his secular Muslim Brotherhood statement.

kingsjester on February 13, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Obama tells Egypt to change govts almost 2 years after saying in Cairo that “no system of government can or should be imposed on one nation by any other.(unless it fits MYvision of worldwide islamist rule)”

FIFY

NY Conservative on February 13, 2011 at 10:00 AM

It’s option number #4 this week for me in the ongoing saga of Obama’s dumbfounding hypocrisy. Now that he’s in a position of untold power and influence he flexes that proverbial white-western male “imperialist” muscle. But of course, it isn’t imperialism by any stretch of the imagination cuz it’s Barack Big Daddy.

RepubChica on February 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM

onlineanalyst on February 13, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Well they were the first bowel movements from a black president…..history has to start somewhere!

thebrokenrattle on February 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Jester, you are correct, sir. Unbelievable.

From the tough field, I chose the businesses have an obligation to create jobs. This comment further proves that President Jackass knows nothing about how the free market works, nor does he care. He’s a socialist, so that figures.

I thought it was the president’s job to save or create jobs via huge mountains of debt.

Philly on February 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM

This guy is so vain that he actually believes the internet won’t catch his hypocrisy or is it the combination of amateurism and hypocrisy?

Whats unbelievable is his staff must be either in such awe or so pathetic that they don’t keep him from making so many new mistakes he doesn’t have to worry about repeating them, so much.

This is what happens when bobbleheaded liberal loons attack.

Speakup on February 13, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Didn’t he say this during that speech he gave that had Wolf Blitzer practically filling his pants over this week in proclaiming that it was what Obama said here that led to the protests that eventually overthrew the Egyptian goverment?

Anyone want to take bets that no one in Egypt even remembers Obama speaking there in the first place?

pilamaye on February 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Ed, you left out the hands-down winner this week, Gibbs going away gift – his own tie and a couple of pictures of Obama. And the presentation – a story about Obama in which Gibbs had a bit part – typical “it’s ALL about me” Obamateurism.

NavyMom on February 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM

That was a tough one, I went with the chamber of commerce quote because that one has the most direct impact on the US economy.

This president thinks that businesses are nothing more than private sector jobs programs that exist for the sole purpose of providing jobs for the “workers”. He’s a pure socialist.

Mord on February 13, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I think Obuma should wait and see if the Muslim Brotherhood takes Egypt to sharia law before he claims credit for something he had absolutely nothing to do with. This guy is a constant embarassment with his naivete and incompetence.

volsense on February 13, 2011 at 10:18 AM

This needs to be re-named the “Punk Assed Remark” of the week.

darwin-t on February 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Obama tells Egypt to change govts almost 2 years after saying in Cairo that “no system of government can or should be imposed on one nation by any other.”

How is this a blunder? Obama asked the gov’t to change in response to its own people marching in the streets. Use common sense. Ed, like many of your readers, I think you have ODS.

underceij on February 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

This needs to be re-named the “Punk Assed Remark” of the week.

darwin-t on February 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Then we could honestly say that the winner would be par for the course.

onlineanalyst on February 13, 2011 at 10:28 AM

The Cairo remarks… all of them…

Khun Joe on February 13, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Businesses have “obligation” to create jobs and “pay decent wages”

Having a real tough time deciding what is amatuerish and what is ignorance so I picked #2 but even that is ignorant.

fourdeucer on February 13, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Two real clear choices this week… Both make one shake the head in disbelief.

Keemo on February 13, 2011 at 10:52 AM

JimP on February 13, 2011 at 9:35 AM

When you lie, you have to remember the lies. When you are insincere, you will always, eventually look like a fool.

Vince on February 13, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I chose 4 as a proxy not just for this bit of hypocrisy that it is, but for his entire admin’s bumbling of the whole affair. Every time some admin spokesman, be it PBHO himself or Hillary or Clapper or Biden or ANYONE it was to contradict dome other spokesman and beclown themselves further. Pure amateurism from soup to nuts.

MJBrutus on February 13, 2011 at 10:53 AM

NavyMom on February 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM

That one was a classic example of narcissist behavior 101.

Keemo on February 13, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I’m kind of stuck with Media Matters using pretzel logic to prove President Obama did verily quoteh the Bible correctly, when nay, verily he did not.

Can I vote Media Matters get’s it this week?

hawkdriver on February 13, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Both strong choices. But, governments don’t fall every week. Obama bashes businesses all the time.

Pablo Snooze on February 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM

underceij on February 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Dolt! You obviously haven’t been here long enough to understand the concept. This is a take-off on what was done to President Bush.

Vince on February 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM

underceij on February 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

You think we should change governments whenever our citizens take to the streets?

Wow.

ss396 on February 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Use common sense.

underceij on February 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Only if you show some first…

right2bright on February 13, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I voted for the “absolutely clear” because it’s Obama’s pet meaningless throwaway line. Whenever he says “let me be clear”, I go to the bathroom to throw up. And, we are witnessing history? Notice how Obama can talk and say absolutely NOTHING?

But his misquoting the bible, he did that a couple of years ago. From a 9/29/08 report:

President Obama: You know, I’m a Christian by choice. My family didn’t — frankly, they weren’t folks who went to church every week. And my mother was one of the most spiritual people I knew, but she didn’t raise me in the church.

So I came to my Christian faith later in life and it was because the precepts of Jesus Christ spoke to me in terms of the kind of life that I would want to lead — being my brothers’ and sisters’ keeper, treating others as they would treat me.

Treating others as they would treat you?? Good Lord, man. That’s “an eye for an eye”. That’s not Christianity. Let me be clear. You don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve said this all along. :)

Paul-Cincy on February 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM

“But what is absolutely clear is that we are witnessing history unfold.”

onlineanalyst on February 13, 2011 at 9:20 AM

The history of the world now starts with obama, didn’t you get the memo?

tinkerthinker on February 13, 2011 at 11:06 AM

This was a tough one between Egypt and instructing business how to do business.
Both business and foreign affairs, we have never had a more incompetent “leader”.
This man has absolutely no idea what business actually does…there is a complete disconnect between business and employment. He actually thinks he can achieve unemployment and stifle business…what a putz…

right2bright on February 13, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Again, hard to pick. I chose Egypt speech.

He can’t misquote the Bible because he thinks he is the protagonist in it….

Caper29 on February 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Vince on February 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Exactly. Which is why Obama Derangement Syndrome is apt here.

ss396 on February 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM

The people in the streets were demanding that a dictator who reigned for 30 years step down and open up the opportunity for democracy. In a case such as this, yes, it is incumbent upon our President to endorse the demands of the protesters in a way that will minimize the chances of a violent crackdown on the protesters and maximize the chances of the dictator stepping down. That’s exactly what Obama did, and the dictator did in fact leave! Where’s the amateurism in that? Is this not the best scenario freedom-loving conservatives could hope for?

right2bright on February 13, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Please point out where I haven’t used common sense. My common sense right now leads me to believe your response was based on not on truth, but just on some schoolyard “I know you are but what am I?” impulse to insult someone who expresses a pov different from yours.

underceij on February 13, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Democrats problem is now they will look the other way and then complain later. They aren’t willing to do the hard work after the change. We have seen this year after year. This is why our cities are in such a mess. They want a moment not a movement.

tomas on February 13, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Vince on February 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM
Exactly. Which is why Obama Derangement Syndrome is apt here.

ss396 on February 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM

right2bright on February 13, 2011 at 11:04 AM

underceij on February 13, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Nope! This is a mocking response to what the left called Bushisms so in that regard BDS/ODS may be correct but he did nothing except back the regime in Iran when they had protests. He can’t pick and choose, he needs to be consistent.

Vince on February 13, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Anyway, I chose #2.

Vince on February 13, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Businesses have “obligation” to create jobs and “pay decent wages”

OmahaConservative on February 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM

He doesn’t know how to run a business and knows nothing about foreign policy and the impact of his words. Tell me again how smart this guy is.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2011 at 12:25 PM

You would think finding five Obamamateurism of the Week would be difficult, but the difficult part comes from picking the best one.

PhiKapMom on February 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Emptiest suit ever.

OmahaConservative on February 13, 2011 at 12:31 PM

onlineanalyst on February 13, 2011 at 9:20 AM

You said it….vacuous. The turd is an empty suit because he wants to be everything to everyone. In reality he is a nobody.

csdeven on February 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM

That was not supposed to have a strike through it.

csdeven on February 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Vince on February 13, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Iran in 2009 and Egypt in 2011 are two different situations. The regime is Iran was historically much more oppressive than Mubarak was in Egypt and Ahmadenijad was much more disposed to using American encouragemnt of the Green revolution to use violence against their own people, so the Administration had to take that into account. Even with the relatively quiet response of the Administration to the Green revolution, the Iranian regime’s response was much more violent than Mubarak’s response. Now that the events in Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria, etc. have placed the Iranian regime in a weakened position, using these events as leverage against Iran to encourage the Iranian people to peacefully assemble is the best chance there is to bring about a peaceful regime change, which is what the Administration is doing. Picking and choosing how to react to different stimuli is exactly what the Administration should have done and should continue to do. Again, use common sense instead of always trying to demean and insult the President regardless of the facts.

underceij on February 13, 2011 at 1:05 PM

“But what is absolutely clear is that we are witnessing history unfold the resurrection of Jimminey Carters reputation as he has been surpassed by “The Jackass” as the worst President evah!.”

dhunter on February 13, 2011 at 1:55 PM

underceij on February 13, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Been watching Oprah?

katy the mean old lady on February 13, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Obama misquotes well-known Bible verse at National Prayer Breakfast

See Bill Maher…

Fallon on February 13, 2011 at 2:17 PM

The history unfolding thing caught got my vote. The Head Clown In Charge can utter the most inane things and they pass un-noticed by the fawning Liberal, Uber-intelligentsia.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM

“Obama misquotes well-known Bible verse at National Prayer Breakfast”

He is not Christian – HERE IS A VIDEO OF HIS #1 FAN OPRAH DENYING THAT JESUS THE SAVIOR

Nearly Nobody on February 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM

“Obama misquotes well-known Bible verse at National Prayer Breakfast”

Nearly Nobody on February 13, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Ill go with “Businesses have “obligation” to create jobs and “pay decent wages” as this shows a complete moronic understanding of
“Businesses”,
“jobs” and
“wages”!

“But what is absolutely clear is that we are witnessing history unfold.”

Seriously, Obama, are you an idiot?
Everyday we witness history unfold!
The future becomes the present becomes history in the blink of an eye!

DSchoen on February 13, 2011 at 4:14 PM

#2 is the clear winner for me. It’s a fabulous little nugget of socialist thought wrapped in a tasty layer of tragi-comic ignorance of free market economics. Teh socialism usually gets my vote for Obamateurism OTW.

bitsy on February 13, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Obama reincarnates the Know-Nothing Party, himself!

#4, because it’s a little more telling and dangerous than #2.

An Uber-Goober in both domestic and foreign policy.

profitsbeard on February 13, 2011 at 5:41 PM

As usual, this could have gone ‘All of the above,’ but I sucked it up and chose #4 after seriously considering #2.

stvnscott on February 13, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I vote for him calling himself the Gipper

American Elephant on February 13, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Once again, a target rich environment. Only a government employee could think jobs are “produced” for the people

Fynxbell on February 13, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Proving that I can connect any two things..I ran into a liberal lady who, completely unsolicited and unprovoked, launched into a discussion of that congressman who got caught with his shirt off look for action in a Craig’s List Ad. Now I had been warned away from Craigslist by an actress and an expensive hooker, but I digress.

Now that poor congressman was likely looking for a self esteem fix and enjoying the cheap thrill and risk of the ad. Not too good for his wife or single females. Then we have the dems rejoycing in such failures. (Notice how they do that?) They should look at 1600 PA Avenue and the twisted ego tripping and narcissism running rampant.

Worse than Craig’s List.