Video: Herman Cain’s speech to CPAC

posted at 10:00 am on February 12, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

If you watch one speech in its entirety, this may be the one to choose. Herman Cain, so far the only declared candidate for the GOP presidential nomination, stole the show yesterday with his speech in the late afternoon. People left the ballroom saying that he moved them to tears. Whether one thinks that Cain has a chance of making inroads for the nomination or not, there is no doubt at all of Cain’s value to the conservative movement. In this speech, Cain delivers a stirring stemwinder, reminding people to “stay informed, stay involved” — and ruffled some feathers by telling CPAC that “stupid people are ruining America”:

Cain said that the American Dream is being attacked by what he calls “the -ations” — legislation, regulation, and taxation. He continued that Republicans need to repeal and replace health care reform, and also “throw out” the “messed up tax code” and replace it with a new system.

The “objective of the liberals is to destroy America,” he Cain continued, but “if you can get a liberal to engage in an intelligent in the first place, ask them to strip away labels.”

Like, for example, Cain said, when liberals call anyone who disagrees with Obama a “racist.”

“They call me racist too just because I disagree with a President who happens to be black,” he continued. He told the crowd: “You are not racists — you are patriots.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

what time is the straw poll?

i wonder if it will be another ron paul win….

cmsinaz on February 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM

LOL.. Fortune teller!

/Ron Paul wins every poll. Be it online, or anywhere else. Paulians…. kinda cool and freaky, too.

Key West Reader on February 12, 2011 at 1:02 PM

She’s gonna break your pea-pickin’ heart when she backs away.

darwin-t on February 12, 2011 at 12:57 PM

His head will explode but I doubt there will be much of a mess as that brain is the size of a pea.

Knucklehead on February 12, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Key West Reader on February 12, 2011 at 1:02 PM

how do they do it?

cmsinaz on February 12, 2011 at 1:05 PM

“Stupid people are ruining this country.”

LOL! Awesome.

Jewels on February 12, 2011 at 1:07 PM

well Cain would be a hell of a lot better than mitt or Danials….still think Palin is the better all round package.

unseen on February 12, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I doubt Cain being a business man will run if his poll numbers don’t improve. I hope he does though. with vocies like his and Pal;in’s the gop will be able to drown out the liberal wing of the GOP in the form of Mitt or danials. Palin and Cain together will drive the debate to the right.

But I doubt Cain will run unless of course his fundraising and poll numbers climb. It just isn’t a good risk/reward for him

unseen on February 12, 2011 at 1:19 PM

That fact that you’re in a Cain thread writing novel sized posts about how Cain can’t win. But you’re slipping, you haven’t mentioned that Sarah Palin is the only one who can save this country.
Knucklehead on February 12, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Ooooooh, legit burn.

But kind of in gary’s defense, he writes novel-length posts. About EVERYTHING. I have never seen a man more in love with the return key.

Vyce on February 12, 2011 at 1:22 PM

He was the CEO of Godfathers Pizza. You can’t get more executive experience than being a CEO and sitting on a board of directors.
Knucklehead on February 12, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I understand that, but I think the perception, and a somewhat justified one, is that “civilian” exec experience and political experience are not quite the same thing.

Although his experience as a businessman would immediately give him more cred than Obama on business matters.

Vyce on February 12, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Vyce on February 12, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Civilian executive experienc is more valuable in that you are expected to turn a profit. Political executive experience just proves that you can disguise your failures in a positive manner.

Always remember that government does not build wealth it destroys it.

darwin-t on February 12, 2011 at 1:32 PM

You keep saying that. Here’s the clip from Greta.. Softballs? Yes. But where exactly did Herman fold, other than in your own mind?

TedInATL on February 12, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Up to 1:05 rambling on and saying nothing.

Starting at 1:44 BS’ing about his Senate run. And by BS, I mean as in total BS. Cause he was “impressive” and “almost forced a run-off.” Pretty immature sounding. I personally expected a hell of a lot better, based on what I had seen before.

Starting at 2:36 I like his personal story. Who wouldn’t.

3:20, rips off Palin’s “unconventional candidate” line. There’s nothing particularly “unconventional” about the man.

3:37 “Don’t know how Washington works.” This isn’t a hit on Cain, but it sums up why he won’t be POTUS. You kinda gotta know how Washington works to navigate the waters.

This is the problem with Mitt Romney. He was a decent businessman, but totally clueless as governor.

I think Herman Cain is infinitely more talented and capable than Mitt Romney, but the fact is, as much as we all hate the federal government, one MUST know how it works to get things done. To be effective. To know how to work not only within the system, but to go around it, as well.

At least Cain knows that he doesn’t know. That show great maturity. But it also shows why he isn’t prepared to be POTUS.

Of course he adds “If you go to Washington knowing how it works, you might try to work the way Washington works rather than change the way Washington works.”

WTF?

A leader knows how things work, and knows how to CHANGE the way things work, and won’t be distracted or temped to fall into doing the same old thing.

I was only mildly disappointed until we got here. Then I started shaking my head.

BTW, one of the reasons I support Palin so strongly is the fact she not only KNOWS how government works, she’s CHANGED how government works before. This is why the GOP elites fear her. They know what she’s capable of.

Cain comes of as inexperienced as he is.

4:30 ground game, blah, blah, blah.

Look, Herman Cain is a good guy, but he’s just not THE guy.

He’s too inexperienced and a bit naive.

He may have the right ideas, but so do most of us here.

It all comes down to the fact he just doesn’t have the experience needed. Not as a candidate, and not as a solid elected official with an understand of how things work. He has no record of bringing reform to government.

Palin has, and lots of it.

It’s damned simple to turn a company around, especially as a CEO, as compared to government. Cain was an effective CEO because he could hire and fire. Changes things up. It was relatively easy to turn things around. The people who stand in your way of reform can be run off.

During my career I worked with a team that specialized in turning failing automobile dealership around. It can be a real challenge, but the ability to replace people who aren’t effective with those that are sure makes life easier. The ability to have carte blanche to do whatever is needed is nice.

As POTUS Cain won’t have that luxury. he’ll have to work with those who are in place. Some for decades, and many who will fight him tooth and nail.

He’ll need serious experience to navigate those waters, and he doesn’t have it. I can’t read the man’s mind, but listening to him talk, it seems he thinks he won’t need it either.

Cain has a very important part to play, but not as POTUS. Won’t happen. Too inexperienced.

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Knucklehead on February 12, 2011 at 11:17 AM

the POTUS is not a CEO position. it has parts of that job description in it but there are many more facuets of it than simply CEO. We had a CEO as presidnet in Bush that didn’t turn out very well. Egos must be stroked, compromises must be made, CinC is not a CEO job. sometimes the bottom line is the least of the priporites.

I would love to have all congresscritters as CEO’s for the president I want a more well rounded character.

unseen on February 12, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I actually like Cain, but the lack of name recognition or political executive experience is a killer.
Vyce on February 12, 2011 at 11:09 AM
Didn’t hurt Barry. I had not heard of him before 2008.
Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 12, 2011 at 11:10 AM

No offense, but maybe you weren’t paying attention. Barry was a rising star from the moment he gave the keynote address at the 2004 DNC. Immediately after that began the “he should run for president!” campaign that lead us down the tortuous road to the sorry state we’re in now.

Vyce on February 12, 2011 at 1:36 PM

ha, Fox ran their own scientific poll to counter the bogus/bought straw poll coming

jp on February 12, 2011 at 1:37 PM

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Wow, a novella sized post this time. The longer your posts, the more fear I smell coming from your keyboard.

Knucklehead on February 12, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Always remember that government does not build wealth it destroys it.

darwin-t on February 12, 2011 at 1:32 PM

no government is not in the business of building or destroying wealth. they are in the business of power and its use. Wealth, money etc are tools they use to increas e or decrease their power. The government is not a business and business techinques will not work in a government setting.

the most important quailification a POTUS should have is character. Trustworhtiness, core bedrock beliefs they can turn to in the hour of choosing. Ability to multi-task, high energy and a mind able to see the big picture.

unseen on February 12, 2011 at 1:41 PM

LOVED it! Most motivational speech yet. The first speaker I saw that I thought, now he could win. We need a candidate with a pair, and as far as that goes, there’s Christie who isn’t gonna run, Palin– whom liberals have made so divisive, that she cant win, and this guy. He has a lot to prove first though.

American Elephant on February 12, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Knucklehead on February 12, 2011 at 1:39 PM

So when you’re on a Palin thread, is it because you’re filled with fear?

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 1:45 PM

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I think he would be great in Gibbs position.

unseen on February 12, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Knucklehead on February 12, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Pssst. Maybe it’s Ezra Klein.

Key West Reader on February 12, 2011 at 1:46 PM

American Elephant on February 12, 2011 at 1:42 PM

If we let liberals pick our candidate, Obama deserves another four years.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2011 at 1:47 PM

If we let liberals pick our candidate, Obama deserves another four years.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Well, the media does seem to have a hankerin’ for Huckabee.

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Yet you still think Palin is a shoo-in.

That’s not the real world pal.

She’s gonna break your pea-pickin’ heart when she backs away.

darwin-t on February 12, 2011 at 12:57 PM

What are you 12? “Pea pickin’ heart” Really?

FYI, she just hired an hand to be her Chief-of-Staff. The kind of guy you don’t hire unless you are ramping up for a presidential run.

It seems that you will be the disappointed one.

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 1:51 PM

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Many of your points are valid and are perceptions Herman will have to counter to get the nomination. If he can’t, then maybe you’re right and he’s not the man. Nothing in your entire critique, however, qualifies as “folding under pressure”, which you tried to mislead readers into thinking until evidence to the contrary was introduced.

TedInATL on February 12, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Well, the media does seem to have a hankerin’ for Huckabee.

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I’m referring specifically to the “liberals have made Palin too divisive” meme. If “conservatives” can’t take personal responsibility for the supposed clusterf**k that a Sarah Palin candidacy would mean, are they really conservative?

gryphon202 on February 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Pres – Cain
VP – West? Bolton? Bauchmann
Treasury – Daniels or Christie
OMB – Paul Ryan
State – Bolton
Defense – West
Energy – Palin
White House Barber – Romney

beancounter on February 12, 2011 at 11:41 AM

FIFY

ms on February 12, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Another plus for Herman Cain – there aren’t any cast members on SNL who look enough like him to impersonate him. Or did they cancel that show?

redwhiteblue on February 12, 2011 at 1:55 PM

It seems that you will be the disappointed one.

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Not so much. I like Mrs. Palin but I haven’t my mind, or ability to reason, as you seem to have.

darwin-t on February 12, 2011 at 1:56 PM

unseen on February 12, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Now don’t YOU go bringing logic and reason into this deal. YOU’RE one of those Palinistas!!!!!11!!!!!

I WANT Herman Cain in the fight. I WANT him out there speaking up. He’s great at it.

He’s just not POTUS material. That’s not a knock on the man. Just fact.

And as you said above, he’d be a billion times better than what we have now, and better than the Daniels, Huckabee, Pawlety, Romney, Huntsman, Thune, Gingrich, RINO Brigade.

But that’s a pretty low bar to have to clear.

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Herman Cain is awesome and at this point is my favorite candidate in the discussion about the nomination in 2012.

Anyone can win, and we need someone not part of the establishment to break the GOP tradition of nominating the next moderate.

Back Cain for a better America.

alecj on February 12, 2011 at 1:57 PM

are they really conservative?

gryphon202 on February 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM

oh come on gryph. If you don’t support Sarah 100% you aren’t conservative. I call BS.

upinak on February 12, 2011 at 1:57 PM

s/b haven’t lost my mind,

darwin-t on February 12, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Knucklehead on February 12, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Look a-hole, I was asked to watch the video of the interview (which I had seen live) and explain WHY I felt like I felt.

I was giving the commenter an honest answer to an honest question.

Unlike YOU who are only here to troll and start fights, I’ll answer honest questions asked and give an honest opinion.

I can’t help if you can’t handle the truth, OR my opinion. In fact, I don’t care that you can’t handle it.

The only thing you are good at is being a wise ass and a whiner.

Go pound sound.

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Back Cain for a better America.

alecj on February 12, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Mr. Cain has yet to meet the media. I’m sure they’re working like busy little drone bees to portray Mr. Cain in a objective light.

What Cain does have going for him at the moment is Sarah Palin. The media wants her dead, the left wants her dead, so Cain may be able to to avoid the attention the media would normally give him.

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 2:04 PM

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Hey, girl… How YOU doin’?

Key West Reader on February 12, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I am impressed with Herman Cain resume. Great business background that fit’s right into what America needs.

hawkman on February 12, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Looks like Herman Cain gave a heck of a speech..Hopefully he can pick up steam and make a run..:)

Dire Straits on February 12, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I was giving the commenter an honest answer to an honest question.

The only thing you are good at is being a wise ass and a whiner.

Go pound sound.

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 2:02 PM

And now the name calling begins. More fear from the little girl?

Your honest answer is not honest because you are too biased and have no credibility.

Knucklehead on February 12, 2011 at 2:09 PM

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I think he would be great in Gibbs position.

unseen on February 12, 2011 at 1:45 PM

No, he’s too important for that. The man has a real role to play. If he had any kind of the necessary skills I’d say VP, and in fact, before most around here knew who he was, I was saying Herman should be on Palin’s short list. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

There are several Cabinet positions he could take and be a rock star at though. Can you imagine him as Commerce Secretary? Of course the whole “not knowing how Washington works” thing still comes into play, but he’d have the backing of the President on his side.

I think he has many, many ways he can make a real difference. POTUS isn’t one of them.

BTW, you brought up an important thing earlier. The President is also Commander-in-Chief. Does ANYONE now where Cain is at on foreign policy? Anyone? Bueller?

The ONLY thing he talks about in detail is the economy. That’s essential, of course, but the entire world is about to implode. Might be a good idea to have someone find out if Cain knows and understands this, huh?

What exactly are his positions.

So far the only one speaking up and out, is Palin. And she was right.

What are Cain’s position on energy independence?

Schools? Health care? The border? National security?

Again, people are making Cain a blank canvas. Very dangerous.

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 2:14 PM

And now the name calling begins. More fear from the little girl?

Knucklehead on February 12, 2011 at 2:09 PM

So you chastise gary for name calling, yet keep calling him a “little girl”.

Am I missing something here or are you playing tit for tat?

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Again, people are making Cain a blank canvas. Very dangerous.

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 2:14 PM

I’m aware of the blank canvas syndrome. Ross Perot and our current president both benefitted from it. Herman Cain is reliably conservative over the full spectrum, with the possible exception of affirmative action. He’s actually more socially conservative than would be my ideal candidate, but I’ll let that go because I believe he has the skills, character, and experience to be a great executive and change the course of the US for the better.

TedInATL on February 12, 2011 at 2:23 PM

TedInATL on February 12, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Here’s the thing, I like Cain, but the man is just too inexperienced.

Again, I was talking about the man favorably before most around here knew who he was.

Of course I did what I jump on other people for. I saw him on Cavuto and shows like that and got pumped up without even bothering to check him out or even give him a critical look over. I just immediately liked the man and what he was saying.

Of course, I would have never considered him for President, as I have a far more experienced and greatly more qualified candidate with a proven track record of doing exactly what needs to be done in Washington. She’s already done it over and over in Alaska, against some of the most corrupt SOBs that ever breathed.

The guy is sharp, but he simply doesn’t have the experience to be POTUS.

And I must admit, that I felt slightly less disappointed after watching the video, than I did when I saw the interview live. After seeing Herman do so well in shorter interviews (and talking about economic issues) I was incredibly disappointed. Now I’m just disappointed. If that makes sense.

Herman Cain has an important role to play in restoring America. It just isn’t this one.

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 2:25 PM

So you chastise gary for name calling, yet keep calling him a “little girl”.

Am I missing something here or are you playing tit for tat?

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 2:14 PM

It’s because she’s got nothing else. Never has.

She trolls Palin threads and smears her crap around,and gets mad when she gets called out by everyone for it.

Funny though, when people offer up opinions on someone who isn’t Palin, she thinks it’s OK to jump on them and call them names.

Personally I don’t care. If a dumb broad thinks I’m a girl, OK.

But this one can never offer up a reasoned debate. She’s one of the ones who is too chicken to even declare who she supports. You know they type. Sure loves to snark on Palin in a fact free manner though.

I usually have this loon on ignore, but sometimes she just needs to be set straight.

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 2:31 PM

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 2:25 PM

We really aren’t that far apart. We agree that his presence in the arena of ideas is a very positive thing. The difference between us is the level of optimism and enthusiasm we hold for his success in the primaries. I can live with that.

TedInATL on February 12, 2011 at 2:34 PM

This was a very good speech. I watched it on another blog yesterday.

I have been following Cain on Facebook for over a year. He does this all the time. You should check out his speeches at some of the Tea Party rallies he has attended.

He is a very passionate speaker and a rising star within the GOP. I have been very impressed with Cain everytime I have listened to him. Solid business background and right on the main issues from what I have seen.

If Cain decides to run for the GOP nomination then more power to him. I hope he decides to run. We need as many voices on stage as we can get.

chief on February 12, 2011 at 2:38 PM

So far the only one speaking up and out, is Palin. And she was right.

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 2:14 PM

well mitt came out and said he agreed with Obama on egypt. danials thinks the biggest threat we face is debt not china or the islamists. Newt is all over the board on everything and anything depends on who has the morcophone in front of his face but as far as Cain don’t know what he things about those things.

the problem with CPAC this year is notice every speaker is talking about the same thing. It’s as if they conducted polls or something and decided just to talk about what the polls showed them people were concerned about.

this is the trap of doing politics by polls. It makes you a one sided flat candidate. yes the debt and spending are important but there are many things that are as important. And so far none of these candidates at least form what i have seen have addressed anything but the debt…..

I doubt in 2012 we will be talking only about the debt…

unseen on February 12, 2011 at 2:43 PM

“… there is no doubt at all of Cain’s value to the conservative movement.”

… +7%!

Seven Percent Solution on February 12, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Herman Cain and Mitt Romney are the top two people I can support in 2012.

Conservative Samizdat on February 12, 2011 at 3:11 PM

I’m not a Romney-bot (nor probably even a Romney supporter this round) but here is a video link to his CPAC speech.

SgtSVJones on February 12, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I hope Herman Cain stays in the public eye. He has a lot to offer. I hope we find a place for him our government whatever it may be.

d1carter on February 12, 2011 at 3:15 PM

The guy is solid, charismatic, and smart. I really like him. Can he stop thumping the bible and drop the pulpit cadence when speaking to a more general audience?

ElectricPhase on February 12, 2011 at 10:51 AM

FWIW, from what I know of him so far, this atheist thinks he’s great! I say he should keep his pulpit cadence if that’s who he is.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 3:19 PM

A little unnerving to see so many swooning over an individual speech.

Ross Perot gave ones about as good. And he was nuts.

rrpjr on February 12, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Vyce on February 12, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I’m assuming you’ve never worked inside a large corporation where politics are as important (if not more) than how well you do your job.

ButterflyDragon on February 12, 2011 at 3:24 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 3:19 PM

This atheist doesn’t mind his presentation either, but between us that would be two votes. Well, he’s certainly gotten my attention.

If Cain shook hands with Obama would the universe be vaporized in a matter/anti-matter explosion?

ElectricPhase on February 12, 2011 at 3:31 PM

ButterflyDragon on February 12, 2011 at 3:24 PM

??? He’s never held elected office, regardless of corporate politics.

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 3:33 PM

ElectricPhase on February 12, 2011 at 3:31 PM

LOL! I don’t know, but if the handshake is PBHO’s concession I would love to see it anyway :-)

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 3:35 PM

??? He’s never held elected office, regardless of corporate politics.

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 3:33 PM

cain served on a board or was a elected commission for a naval board, because I can’t remember. Wiki use to have it, and I noticed his wiki page has been stripped clean from the last time I looked at it.

Very odd.

upinak on February 12, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Vyce on February 12, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I have birds at the sunflower feeder outside my window who possess “…more cred than Obama on business matters.” They also possess more integrity, at least they’re honest about using me.

oldleprechaun on February 12, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I LOVE this guy.

If Palin doesn’t run, I’ll wholeheartedly support him.

powerpro on February 12, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I LOVE this guy.

If Palin doesn’t run, I’ll wholeheartedly support him.

powerpro on February 12, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Me too, SugarMuffin.

Geochelone on February 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM

He is pretty good. Romney/Cain seems like a great match

PrezHussein on February 12, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Great speech. The more he speaks, the better.

DrAllecon on February 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Fox getting ready to carry Allen West live

Dingbat63 on February 12, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I actually liked Daniels more.

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM

He is pretty good. Romney/Cain seems like a great match

PrezHussein on February 12, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Despite my having been a Romney supporter for quite a while, I must respectfully disagree. I think the ticket should be Cain / Romney.

Herman Cain knows how to craft and deliver a masterful speech, and the man knows how to inspire an audience, something I have yet to see from any other potential GOP contenders.

BTW, Ed, Mr. Cain has not declared his candidacy yet. He has only formed an exploratory committee at this time. See Herman Cain’s home web page. But I certainly hope he DOES formally declare his candidacy. If he does, I will throw all my support behind him.

OneVision on February 12, 2011 at 6:07 PM

I must be listening to the right radio programs. I’ve heard of Cain for years and have always found comfort and inspiration in his speeches and interviews. I’m surprised more folks on the right weren’t aware. Well, it looks like that’s changing. Good.

princetrumpet on February 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Inspirational speech. This speech contained “real hope”.

Thank You Herman!

DeathB4Tyranny on February 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM

THIS is what American’s wanted when they voted for Obama. Little did they know OB was selling them down the river. My only concern is that Cain needs to do MASSIVE AND MAJOR brush up on international… Maybe he already knows. Meantime how does this look:

PALIN/CAIN I think that would work (yes, I know she was drummed out of the corp)…. still a crime but try that on for size…

PALIN/CAIN or CAIN/PALIN ???? what????

highninside on February 12, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Nice, but no thanks, not yet anyway. What happened to potential candidates paying their dues and working their way up? How about a term or two as mayor and/or governor? Congress? Some foreign policy experience?

There’s more to being POTUS than inspiring speeches.

Common Sense on February 12, 2011 at 11:53 PM

It would be great to see Herman Cain debate President Obama. I like Cain’s story about the birth of his granddaughter. The birth of my daughter had a similar effect on me.

There is a lot of talk about confronting Liberalism at CPAC but it is only focusing on the philosophical and political aspect of it. Liberal theology is what lies underneath all this and that must be confronted as well. The theology in which Obama came to “faith” is drenched in Liberalism. One of his advisers, Jim Wallis, is an advocate of Liberal Theology which justifies the empowerment of the State. We need to confront a theology that is comfortable in the bed of tyrants and dictators, otherwise we may have one of our own sooner than we think.

Blue Collar Todd on February 13, 2011 at 12:19 AM

If Sarah Palin did not already exist, then those who hate her and talk about her 24/7, and try to demonize her, would have to invent her.

The “Boys’ Club” members of the Republican and NeoCon party need her to feel secure in their position. Insecure people often attack others, belittling them so there is someone “lower” than themselves. For those “Good ‘ol Boys” of the so-called “Republican-Conservative” stripe, Sarah Palin provides that outlet.

For leftist, baby hating – butcher-slaughter of baby – abortion loving freaks who hate Conservative women, hate pro-lifers, hate fiscally conservative women, Sarah Palin is their attack target. They hate women who are Conservative, have positions of authority, are pro-life and oppose aborting babies, and who people listen to. For leftists all women must be members of the Religion-Cult of Abortionism. If you don’t worship at the altar of elective slaughter of innocent new babies still residing in the womb, or on their way out of the womb, or even just born, then you are somehow their version satan. you must be attacked, no matter how farbricated, no matter how vitriolic, no matter how venemous, no matter how unjust, dishonest, or vindictive.

Sarah Palin might not be Marilyn vos Savant, but she is influential, and the left HATES her for it. She lives in their hearts, their minds, their thoughts, and they can’t get her out, which is why they talk about her so frequently.

It would be fun to see her win the Presidency by a record setting, super landslide of 50 states, and 97% of the popular vote, and serve as the best president ever, renewing our nation’s prosperity, respect, and productivity, and bringing a new found feeling of pride in our nation, as well as finding other nations wanting to be like us, as a result of her presidency.

William2006 on February 13, 2011 at 2:48 AM

Isn’t much of the problem with our leaders that they are DC insiders? You know, the dues payers who have traded all the horseflesh acd made us poorer?

There’s more to being POTUS than inspiring speeches.

Common Sense on February 12, 2011 at 11:53 PM

And that’s all Cain has to offer, right? It isn’t though he has tons of leadership and financial experience in the private sector and become an excellent communicator in the broadcasting world or anything.

MJBrutus on February 13, 2011 at 1:27 PM

That was a very good speech.

AshleyTKing on February 13, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Cain is wonderful!

IowaWoman on February 13, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I cannot wait to see this man in the debates.

Herman is my top pick at the moment.

Thune on February 14, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Wow! So now all you folks think that you have to have been a Governor or a Senator to have just the RIGHT kind of executive experience. YET… some of you folks think Palin didn’t have ENOUGH experience AND Obama PROVES everyday he doesn’t know what the hell he is doing. By all merits those folks should fit your bill! LOL! You guys twist yourselves into pretzels trying to keep up with your own “principles” on the RIGHT kind of Conservative to lead. You all, back in the day, probably believed that an actor with the nickname The Gipper was a moron right along with all those Democrats. You folks utterly FAIL!

BTW–Turning around a company as a CEO isn’t ALL that easy. Look at Fiorina! You SAME folks told me she could beat Boxer. She lost because Boxer reminded folks what a loser she was as a CEO.

Herman Cain is a heck of a lot better than the freaking Career Politicians you folks are peddling to me. You ALL complain that the folks in Congress need to GO! That they’re ALL corrupt AND don’t LISTEN to the voters. Then out of the other side of your mouths you say that the only folks we can select and vote for are those SAME CORRUPT, NON-LISTENING, CAREER POLITICIANS.

I need an Advil, you make my head hurt and spin. pfft….

Sultry Beauty on February 14, 2011 at 1:08 PM

And one last point: Did any of you even LISTEN to the speech? You might wanna re-listen to the section where he talks about how we lost in 2008 since too many people sat home because they didn’t see the PERFECT candidate.

When I read all these comment posts it reminds me of teh Fred! and Mitt the Mormon etc. Folks spent all their time tearing everybody a part rather than just advocating for their candidate. They said horrible things about the other guys a now look what we are left with. Why would any respectable person want to put themselves through the gauntlet? It’s February, 2011 and it’s starting all over again. This President withstood attack ads that showed he sat in the pews of Jeremiah Wrights Church. If you think a batter primary candidate who comes out of a mudslinging contest amongst Conservatives and RINOs will win against this guy easily, you are NOT prepared whatsoever for the battle that lies ahead.

Think before you write and remember that there is no such thing as the PERFECT candidate. Just the one who represents your ideals most closely. I didn’t agree with Reagan 100% of the time. But I wouldn’t have traded him and ALL he did for my country for those 5% moments we disagreed. OR because some Liberal Media Newscaster referred to him as a dumb actor without the RIGHT experience.

It’s NOT a personality contest folks, even though that’s ALL you guys seem interested in. Thanks to you Noonan, Christopher Buckley type Republicans that go for stylized oratories we got a guy who wins the popularity contest but not much more. I prefer substance over flash.

Sultry Beauty on February 14, 2011 at 1:49 PM

From the MoTown song to his last word: I love Herman Cain!

If the ruling elite would give us a real choice, Herman Cain, a real, patriotic American who happens to really be a black man could really be the President of the United States…
His skin color is irrelevant, but imagine the feeding frenzy the RINOs and lefties would engage in if he were to even get close to the nomination.
If Barry can do it, why not Herman? Answer: He’s a conservative who knows how to run a business and wants to save our beloved Republic. They can’t abide that.
God Bless Herman Cain.

Christine on February 15, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Start, sounds like a preacher. Not a positive characteristic for me.

I like his “-ations” “legislation, regulation, and taxation.”

Now talking about regulation, he is starting to sound like a teacher, voice inflections are not fitting for him.

He is for full “repeal and replace” and this is very positive.

$10,000 regulation compliance per employee. “just to open a business”

Talks about business not expanding due to “uncertainty” of future regulation.

Throw out the whole tax code and replace with “Fair Tax” There have been so many fair tax schemes, I will need to know more about the one he is pushing.

“Stupid people are ruining America” And this is true.

HermanCain.com plug plug. Nice…

Shift Subject, Ignore the Facts and Name Call. The SIN tactics.

His “Patriots” meme would be much better as the following: “Because you are willing to stand up for what you believe in” replace with ” Because you are willing to stand up for the American Ideals that have led this nation to greatness.” “What you believe in” is way to open to interpretation.

“It may surprise you and a lot of folks that some black people can think for themselves without having somebody else think for them.” Which is good, because there are a lot of blacks incapable to think for themselves, which is bad. Education in this country really needs to be improved and the family rebuilt so all people grow up being able to think for themselves.

“When this nation reaches a point where its citizens can not constructively criticize its leaders we are no longer a democratic republic we have become a nation a tyranny” Republic, I like the fact that he says this, way way too many people who have spoken so far have completely forgotten this aspect of our nations constitution.

“When your grandchildren are born, you focus on the future of the nation” and then “Ask any grandparent and they will tell you”, and I have to say no, that does not seem to be the case, because it is the baby boomers who have screwed this country up, and now that they are retiring, they are only interested to see that they get their entitlements. Entitlements that will destroy this nation and the grandchildren’s future.

Overall, the things he hits upon, he is rock solid. But he is very light on overall policy issues. Which is not horrible, but leaves much for me to wait and see on him. I am not sure if he tailored the speech to show no ambiguity in his positions, and to stake out only popular positions, or if it just came out that way. It always comes down to execution, all the talk in the world means nothing if you got nothing backing it up.

I am going to move him into a likely I would vote for. He has not earned I would vote for certain with just the one speech I have seen of him.

astonerii on February 15, 2011 at 9:50 PM

“When this nation reaches a point where its citizens can not constructively criticize its leaders we are no longer a democratic republic we have become a nation of tyranny” Republic, I like the fact that he says this, way way too many people who have spoken so far have completely forgotten this aspect of our nations constitution.

This line of thought would work well like this.

It may surprise you and a lot of folks that some black people can think for themselves without having somebody else think for them. What we need is to educate the rest so that they too can think critically.

When this nation reaches a point where its citizens no longer possess the critical thinking skills required to evaluate the government and then constructively criticize its leaders we are no longer a democratic republic, we have become a nation of sheep and tyranny.

astonerii on February 15, 2011 at 9:55 PM

I want to have this man’s puppies, but I mean that in a very pure way!

Chewy the Lab on February 17, 2011 at 10:08 PM