CPAC Interviews: Michael Williams and Ted Cruz

posted at 9:00 am on February 12, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

A few weeks ago, Kay Bailey Hutchison announced that she would retire from the US Senate at the end of her term. Texas now needs to find its next Senator, and with the state becoming ever more Republican, that means the Republican primary will be a great opportunity for conservatives, especially Tea Party grassroots, to send a strong conservative to replace Hutchison. Two of the announced candidates for the race came to CPAC, both of whom believe that this Senate race will be nationalized and that garnering support from forums like CPAC will be critical.

First, I interviewed Michael Williams, currently serving his third term on the Texas Railroad Commission, a prominent and powerful board in the state. Williams has spoken at conservative conferences for years, and found himself in his element at CPAC. This is my first interview with Williams, but definitely not his first CPAC interview; he spoke with a number of bloggers yesterday:

Ted Cruz is a former Solicitor General in Texas, and has been ramping up for a high-profile campaign for quite a while. I first spoke with Ted at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference ten months ago (which you can see here), and by a weird coincidence, we ended up sharing the same cab from the FreedomWorks blogger bash back to the hotel on Thursday night, so I got a chance to catch up with him earlier.  He insisted that his record of accomplishment for conservative causes will put him in good position to win both the primary and the general election:

Be sure to check out their websites for more information.  Both men are impressive.  I’m actually a little jealous of Texas voters, who get to choose between good candidates in the primary.  We could use a little more of either or both men in Minnesota, California, New York …

Comments

Can I haz good candy-date?

blatantblue on February 12, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Never trust a politician with perfect hair.

Of course, if they were all bald….chuckle

percysunshine on February 12, 2011 at 9:49 AM

I’d be happy for either man to be my next senator (at this point)but I still lean heavily toward Williams. Then maybe Cruz will run against Cornyn in ’14.

cartooner on February 12, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Michael L. Williams

canopfor on February 12, 2011 at 9:55 AM

It will be a hard choice on who we will vote for, but we are leaning for Michael. I’m just happy dear kay will soon be gone! Too bad we can’t boot jackson-lee out.
L

letget on February 12, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Perry should shave his head before running for President.

percysunshine on February 12, 2011 at 9:56 AM

“Don’t Mess with Texas” Tea Party

********************************************

canopfor on February 12, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Problem at the moment is the big money is going towards David Dewhurst, since as Lt. Governor of Texas he basically has authority over what does and doesn’t get done during the next 3 1/2 months that the Legislature’s still in session. That’s a strong incentive to contribute for people with business before the Senate, at least up until Memorial Day.

From a financial standpoint, he’s likely to have the most money to do TV and other media blitzes this time next year, in the run-up to the March Republican primary. But Perry showed during the November election against Bill White it’s possible to do a work-around from the old media using new media options, so combined with enough passion either Williams or Cruz could break through with less funding than Dewhurst (though odds are he and either Williams or Cruz are going to end up in an April Senate runoff, since the odds are no candidate’s going to get 50 percent of the vote in March).

jon1979 on February 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Both sound good. I’d like to hear Cruz talk a little less about the cases he’s won than where he actually stands on issues. From what I’ve heard before from Michael Williams, I’m more inclined to vote for him than any of the other candidates.

Eren on February 12, 2011 at 10:08 AM

L

letget on February 12, 2011 at 9:55 AM

letget:Heres the latest Jackson Lee SNAFU!!
===========================================================

Republicans turn Congress into ‘clogged toilet,’ says Democratic lawmaker
02/11/11 11:24 AM ET
*********************

One of the Democrats’ fieriest voices on Capitol Hill accused the Republicans of turning Congress into a “clogged toilet.”

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) said Friday that House Republicans were blocking the proper functioning of the lower chamber by debating a bill instructing committees to give closer scrutiny to regulations.

canopfor on February 12, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Ted Cruz, former Texas Solicitor General, at the Hands Off Texas! Rally

===========================

Texas Republican House Cmte

=============================

canopfor on February 12, 2011 at 10:17 AM

canopfor@10:11,
I heard this yesterday and saw this at the top of HA today. jackson-lee really is one out of sorts female!
L

letget on February 12, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Both seem fine to me, although Williams sounded less politiany to me which I prefer. And he looks and sounds like Michael Clarke Duncan, which is pretty cool, imo.

Dig the bow tie and cowboy boots too.

Dongemaharu on February 12, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Thanks Ed!

I loves me some Michael Williams He is sharp, sharp, sharp.

BTW, the job he’s doing is the same Sarah Palin once did in Alaska as AOGCC Chair.

I love that he turned down pay raises. She did the same thing as Governor.

That’s the sign of someone who is in it for the right reasons.

Texas must elect Williams. He is the right man for the job.

gary4205 on February 12, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Williams will get our vote. He is an honest conservative candidate.

Aggie85 on February 12, 2011 at 12:07 PM

canopfor on February 12, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Thanks for the Ted Cruz links, Canopfor. Cruz seems to be a very strong candidate. I’ll be paying more attention to him!

But I’m still partial to Michael Williams. His positive attitude and strong conservatism and the excellent example he’s shown just seem unbeatable.

Eren on February 12, 2011 at 12:11 PM

canopfor@10:11,

L

letget on February 12, 2011 at 10:17 AM

letget:Yup,she is in her own league,like Gaum Tipping Over
Guy!!:)

canopfor on February 12, 2011 at 12:17 PM

canopfor on February 12, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Eren on February 12, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Eren:Both look good,the US future is looking brighter!:)

canopfor on February 12, 2011 at 12:19 PM

canopfor on February 12, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Hey, careful with SJL. As long as we have her around, there’s no need to supply all the villages with an idiot, she suffices for all.

Eren on February 12, 2011 at 12:56 PM