CPAC interview with PJM’s Roger Simon

posted at 8:00 am on February 12, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

On Thursday, I caught up with Pajamas Media chief Roger Simon and had a few moments to chat with him about the new edition of his memoirs, Turning Right at Hollywood and Vine: The Perils of Coming Out Conservative in Tinseltown.  According to Roger, those perils have somewhat lessened in the years since he first wrote the memoir, and Hollywood conservatives have asserted themselves in the industry. Even the Bush-bashing has declined.

At the same time, the love affair between Tinseltown and Barack Obama seems to have faded, Roger tells us, and for a couple of reasons. That love affair never got past the stump speeches, and Obama’s lack of success seems to have dimmed the ardor considerably for him in the entertainment industry. Hollywood loves success, after all, and in the end that town is run by capitalists; Roger calls this the “great masquerade” in his book.  I refer to the phenomenon as “limousine liberal[ism],” which Roger says is “the polite term” for it.

The lesson for conservatives in Hollywood, Roger advises, is not to take a page from liberals and become “victicrats,” attempt to trade on victimhood to demand. They need to produce good product, and Roger says that the product from Hollywood has already begun to reflect their influence.  I mention The Blind Side, which won an Academy award for Sandra Bullock, and I could have mentioned The Hurt Locker, which won the Best Picture, and Roger mention’s The King’s Speech, which Roger considers a great movie with solid conservative values (which I have yet to see).

Comments

Off topic but since hotair is not going down the Valentine’s Day road I am going to try to squeeze this on in – from a really hot conservative blogger… btw

Guys’ Guide To Valentine’s Day

Nearly Nobody on February 12, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Oh goodie, Ed’s up already! Early Saturday posting at HA.

petefrt on February 12, 2011 at 8:36 AM

I plan to see it too.
Even the queen liked it.

OmahaConservative on February 12, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Sandra Bullock?

*swoon*

petefrt on February 12, 2011 at 8:45 AM

petefrt on February 12, 2011 at 8:45 AM

*HOT*

OmahaConservative on February 12, 2011 at 8:48 AM

From the screen shot it looks like you guys may have been separated at birth.

vcferlita on February 12, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Sandra will always be *HOT* in my book.

OmahaConservative on February 12, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I think it’s weird that Hollywood can’t come up with anything new, but I seldom go to the movies so I don’t know what I’m whining about.

Cindy Munford on February 12, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Cindy Munford on February 12, 2011 at 10:00 AM

LOL, I feel the same way. It’s kind of a chicken or the egg thing isn’t it? I can’t remember which came first.

P. Monk on February 12, 2011 at 10:18 AM

My theory is that Hollywood is starting to get antsy with all this talk against rich people.

And I don’t blame them.

Alana on February 12, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Cindy Munford on February 12, 2011 at 10:00 AM

The last two movies I went to in a theater were “The Passion of The Christ” and “The Nativity”, so I look fw to The king’s speech.

OmahaConservative on February 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Sandra will always be *HOT* in my book.

OmahaConservative on February 12, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Same here. I was swooning for Sandra Bullock before she became a big star. Imagine my delight when I later found she had conservative leanings! Now it’s …

*swoon* x 2

petefrt on February 12, 2011 at 11:01 AM

The matter of Conservative Values in the movies is one of the Left’s great disconnects. An actor plays Aragorn, a man fighting an evil that threatens the world. But the same actor points to the people trying to unseat a ruler who picks women out of crowds to rape them while their husbands are made to watch, a ruler who is part of an unholy arc in the most unstable part of the world, and that actor declares that the people trying to unseat this man are evil. Not misguided, not in grave error as to means and ends, but evil.

I recently saw Tron Legacy several times. Several because I’m not skilled enough to pick it apart while on the thrill ride that is the IMAX 3D presentation. At one point in the film, the character who has just entered the virtual reality gets to tell the one trapped in it what’s been happening. He runs down a list of popular, discredited, talking points: glaciers melting, rich getting richer/poor getting poorer, etc. But in spite of that, the core themes of the film are rock-solid conservative: genocide in the attempt to create a perfect society from above and the Law of Unintended Consequences, which the Old Guy faces by diving into Zen, and finally expiates himself by personal sacrifice.

G.K.Chesterton wrote Literature is a luxury, fiction a necessity. It is by exploring fiction that we learn to exercise our moral judgement and our capacity to predict what evil people will do.

We can’t help writing myth—fiction—into our stories. It’s who we are. It’s what we are. I rather doubt that the authors of Tron Legacy actually wanted to play the Earth Mother/Sky Father myth, but “Q”‘s ontology practically demands it. And if either Old Man or Old Man’s creation is her Earth-Mother, then the her relationship to Young Man at the end is bordering on creepy.

njcommuter on February 12, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I’d appreciate this a lot more if you were to focus upon the comic book industry as well, which has had its own problems with hostility to conservatives, selectively anyway. Example: Chuck Dixon, who’s conservative, was fired by DC, and not only that, they’ve been trying to obliterate all the good he tried to bring them when he was more of a writer there in the 1990s. I’d strongly advise NOT to buy 75 Years of DC, because they omitted his name from the book entirely, and wouldn’t even credit him as the creator of Bane. On the other hand, they seem to be quite okay with Bill Willingham, who actually took part in some of these attempts to demolish Dixon’s works (example: Stephanie Brown). I suspect this is because he’s quite willing to be a yes-man. Not that it helped him sales-wise.

Also take note of how Warner may be featuring Bane in the third of Chris Nolan’s Batman movies, but the question is whether they’ll actually give Dixon any credit. I won’t be surprised if they don’t. Maybe that’s why it’s up to you, folks, to remind everyone?

Let that be an example to you of how there’s another industry in the midst of destruction that I do think deserves attention, and if you’re willing to bring it up as a major topic, that could help tremendously.

Avi Green on February 12, 2011 at 1:01 PM