Coulter at CPAC: If we don’t run Chris Christie, Romney will be the nominee — and he’ll lose

posted at 5:10 pm on February 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

An amazing clip considering Romney finished second, way ahead of the rest of the major GOP candidates (but behind predictable winner Ron Paul), in the CPAC straw poll. Plenty of grassroots righties would agree with the second part of Coulter’s statement (and some with the first part too), but for someone of her “true conservative” stature to drop it on a frontrunner at CPAC is shocking. And Mitt gets off relatively easy here, I think: Remember who it was who wrote the piece at Human Events in 2008 crowning Palin “conservative of the year”? Sarahcuda’s an afterthought in her formulation. Wow.

Around the same time that this was breaking on Twitter, Melissa Clouthier of Red State (who’s at the conference) claimed that Allen West answered a blogger’s question about GOProud by saying he’s for liberty for all Americans. We’ll have to wait for a direct quote to parse that further, but between him and Coulter, let me just say on behalf of myself and other RINOs everywhere: RINO-tastic! Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I don’t think Palin is running……..but PLEASE LET’S KEEP IT REAL HERE…none….NONE of these other Republicans have even had a glove laid on them by the Marxist Mainstream Media.

Wait until they start piling on some of the GOPers. By the time November 2012 rolls around it will be Jesus against the Devil.

If you don’t think that you’re just wrong wrong wrong.

PappyD61 on February 13, 2011 at 6:55 PM

True, and when that happens we who’ve been called unthinking cultists are going to sit back and have SUCH a good laugh.

ddrintn on February 13, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Just so long as no pic of CC wandering around topless on a beach doesn’t pop up…

CC is still the only GOP who has perfected the art of taking on liberals and leaving them as dust.

drfredc on February 13, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Give me an example among those where she has shown a lack of understanding of the policy issue at hand. I don’t care about the aesthetics, which is a subjective thing anyway. That wasn’t the question; her grasp of policy issues is the question, especially as compared with other candidates to whom I’m sure you apply the same very strict standards.

ddrintn on February 13, 2011 at 12:55 AM

The Wall Street Journal op-ed I spoke of earlier was an example-unless you consider spouting platitudes and cliches as a “grasp of policy issues”.

Want another example? Her embarrassing response to Obama’a equally idiotic “Sputnik Moment” part of his SOTU, where she managed to show a complete ignorance of history.

The example of the unfair criticism of Palin being conflated to “taking away first amendment rights” that lexhamfox commented on, is another example.

She continually talks about Obama treating terrorism as a “legal matter”, rather than a war. That was a fear a lot of people had, including myself, but honestly, so far it doesn’t really seem to be the case. Maybe I’m wrong-but I’ve heard Palin say this twice, and yet never give any concrete examples of how Obama is doing this. If she wants to convince people-give them some examples.

There are many many more examples.

Here is a better question: can somebody show me an example of where she talked about an issue, where she actually showed some decent knowledge of details? I don’t follow Palin’s every word closely, so maybe I’ve missed something.

Dreadnought on February 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM

^ As much a failure as my linking abilities. Maybe though you should get your anti-Palin goodies from somewhere other than DKos. Here’s what Palin said:

That was another one of those WTF moments, when he so often repeated this Sputnik moment that he would aspire Americans to celebrate. And he needs to remember that what happened back then with the former communist USSR and their victory in that race to space, yes, they won, but they also incurred so much debt at the time that it resulted in the inevitable collapse of the Soviet Union.

Cf. with column mentioned above. Harsanyi is sooooooo embarrassing.

ddrintn on February 13, 2011 at 11:15 PM

There are many many more examples.

Dreadnought on February 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Give me a few.

Maybe I’m wrong-but I’ve heard Palin say this twice…

Dreadnought on February 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Without a quote and context, can’t help you.

It seems to do pretty well for Romney’s reputation for “brilliance”.

ddrintn on February 13, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Romney is still the smartest and most articulate candidate out there and still a formidable candidate. As smart as Coulter is, I consider this to be one of her dumber and more rash statements. There’s a lot of time left and Christie has already stepped in it a few times himself.

Goodale on February 14, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Here we go again! We were told that McCain was the best candidate appealing to both sides of the aisle and we see how well that worked out. The media is starting to dictate who the republican candidate should be – pushing the sure losers and Romney has had his chance and is damaged goods. We need someone that will excite and rally people to vote for him/her and Romney ain’t it. Christie may still need a bit of seasoning in his mind, but Romney is way over-done! Anyone but Obama and Romney!

mozalf on February 14, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Ann Coulter IS a true conservative, and she HAS made some made some embarrassing statements of her own, but she may have a point here. While Romney is both good-looking and articulate, his signing into law in MA something very similar to ObamaCare (which is despised by a majority of Americans) would lose him many crucial votes among Independent voters. Sarah Palin was a great choice for VP in 2008, but she lost Independent voters with two disastrous interviews, and her quitting as Governor of Alaska doesn’t sit well with many of them.

Chris Christie may not be a “pure” conservative on all issues, but he has boldly and convincingly taken on several “third rails” in blue-state New Jersey, and has retained popular support with common-sense straight-talk. Unlike Palin and Romney, Christie is a CURRENT Governor, who is willing to confront unions head-on, and could successfully confront Obama on the GM and Chrysler bailout/giveaways.

There could be another strategic reason why Christie may be the GOP’s best candidate in 2012. He is probably the only GOP candidate who could carry New Jersey’s 15 electoral votes, and his popularity spills over into the Philly media market, which could help him carry PA as well (both Bush and McCain lost Philly, but won the rest of PA). Since the national electorate is to the right of that of NJ, if Obama loses NJ and PA, he’s toast.

Steve Z on February 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Short memories. The left depends on folks having those short memories. In January of 1992, William Jefferson Blythe Clinton was “unelectable”. He had “too much baggage”. There were “too many questions of character”. There was the “Arkansas Death List”. There was the “bimbo eruption”.

And then he spent 8 years destroying our nation from the Oval Office, only slowed in his efforts by the 1994 congressional juggernaut led by Newt Gingrich’s Contract with America.

Nobody can quite see November 2012 from their front porch yet. There is no way to tell, TODAY, who is electable and who is not. Refuse the Kool-Aid, and support your conscience. If that means Allen West, so be it. If that means Herman Cain, so be it. If that means Tim Pawlenty, so be it. If that means Gov. Palin, so be it. Heck, if it means Fred Thompson, SO BE IT!

Let nobody decide your political mind for you. Listen to what the proto-candidates say, research their integrity and consistency to principles, and vote your conscience.

Freelancer on February 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Wow, I had totally missed this over the weekend.

I do wish he’d enter the race.

Y-not on February 14, 2011 at 12:29 PM

So the schism continues as the country clubbers unveil a new coaltion, or so they think, of the GoProuders, the globalists (pro amnesty) and the young radical energetics seeking a haven devoid of the nasty Socials and Religies

So they move their cameras to Christie , maybe McConnell and the usual suspects, the group who declare we must set aside social issues, because all the nation wishes to hear is economy and jobs.

Otherwise we get Romney, and lord knows how hard they worked to keep him off the ballot the last election so the McCain could launch. But when McCain was sinking he had enough brains to bring in Palin, who is not in the club either, because the club alone is too small to win

The club carries a burden too big to sell, amnesty in a jobless economy, openly gay military in a nation losing direction and security, and a refusal to pay lip service to the moralists

CPAC was staged so that Paul, whose supporters bought the most tickets, wins the straw poll but loses the Country club promos.

The biggest loser is trust, in a time when trust is gold. Cpac spinners can declare the era of the social issues is dead, and all the living breathing voters who see decay in America as the cause of America’s slide only understand that the clubbers are lying

CPAC is not dead at all , but the CPAC spin is a better indicator of the coming intentions of the factions, then the votes of the audience

Palin was smart to stay out of CPAC because the CPAC spin sounds identical to the last election, and that is toxic. In some cases, spin kills

entagor on February 14, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Christie would play a heck of a lot better in the South than Palin would play in the Northeast, say Pennsylvania or New Hampshire. Probably Ohio as well.

Dreadnought on February 12, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Absolutely not true! I attended several TEA Parties in Columbus OH and I have to say that of any potential candidate, her name was mentioned more often, to more cheers, than any other. Have you forgotten that she announced her VP candidate acceptance in Dayton OH?

dominigan on February 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Look, here’s my opinion on the people being floated…

Cain… never heard of him, although several people say he’s built a business before; no government executive experience, no military experience, no name recognition. I’ll vote for him quietly… because I don’t know much about him.

Bolton… love the man, but I don’t think he can pull it off since he hasn’t run before. I don’t think he has the infrastructure for the race. He would make a great Secretary of State (with the goal of cutting off the UN!). Experienced, but I’ve got no real enthusiasm.

Various other names… will vote quietly for them, because I just don’t know much about them. I may talk a little bit to my liberal friends, but there’s just no enthusiasm.

Romney… Voted for a Constitutional socialized medicine program for his state… which has sunk their budget and endangered the state he was supposed to promote as Governor. Very poor choice in my mind. He always has his finger in the wind, waiting for someone else to lead; must not have the principles. Will not vote for him, would probably write in someone else’s name instead.

Palin… Followed her extensively; I like that she took on corruption in her own party and thinks outside the box. She has executive government experience, with strong knowledge on energy issues. I would vote for her, I would talk to my liberal friends about her, I would donate to her, I would man phones or go door-to-door for her.

In 2012 we need experience, money, and enthusiasm. Even if other candidates could overcome the first two, right now, I only have enthusiasm for one.

dominigan on February 14, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Freelancer on February 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Well said. My feelings exactly when I didn’t pull the lever for Captain Amnesty in 2008. I’d rather lose an election than support someone I loathe and don’t believe in. Try saying this when the idiots have chosen another loser like McCain or Huckabee, and you’ll have party loyalists shrieking at you like 4 year olds.

austinnelly on February 14, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Can someone please explain to me why even the Conservatives are saying that Obama cannot be beat in 2012 except by someone like Chris Christie? I have nothing against Ann Coulter, and I personally love Christie, and wish he would run, but how can a man as incompetent as Obama, who manages to make the U.S. look like total idiots at every turn, ever get elected as anything again? I just don’t get it, and even though Obama was elected for a first term, can the citizens of this Country really be so stupid as to do it again? After idiocy like he pulled with Egypt?

I cannot believe that some who posted here would rather let Obama continue to ruin the Country with another term, then vote for someone who may not be their ideal candidate. At least with RINO McCain, we would have avoided being the laughing stock of the world with our Foreign policy.

Susanboo on February 14, 2011 at

Susanboo on February 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Obama had 96% of the black vote, 100% of the dead vote
and the illegal vote. Then there was the white guilt
vote – let’s vote for a black man and perhaps we won’t be called racist again – ha! fat chance – it didn’t take 5 mins. Then there was the I can’t vote for an old man
and McCain is a RINO vote; I will stay home and not vote. Obama has nice clothes and speaks well, is an intellectual, went to Harvard, soI will vote for the other team (just this one time)

What scenarios won’t happen in 2012? That is the difference maker.

Who is the republican candidate for whom voters will come
out in droves to vote for?

Amjean on February 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I normally love Ann Coulter, but this smacks of greasing the wheels for a new book release to me.

Tennman on February 14, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I still don’t think Romney got snookered.
Conservative Samizdat on February 12, 2011 at 7:43 PM

“Every uninsured citizen in Massachusetts will soon have affordable health insurance and the costs of health care will be reduced.” – Mitt Romney on the bill he signed…

…insurance premiums in the state are expected to rise 10–12 percent next year, double the national average.

Originally, the plan was projected to cost $1.8 billion this year. Now it is expected to exceed those estimates by $150 million. Over the next 10 years, projections suggest that Romney- Care will cost about $2 billion more than was budgeted

So he said it would lower costs; it raised costs; insruance premiums are rising at double the national rate… and you don’t think he got “snookered”?

So he lied on purpose to get a bloated big government policy passed? And that is why you like him for President?

If only we already had a President who would pass a huge bill that will go over budget and raise health care costs while claiming it would lower them…

Color me underimpressed with Romney as an alternative to Obama.

gekkobear on February 14, 2011 at 6:21 PM

There are many many more examples.

Dreadnought on February 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM
Give me a few.

ddrintn on February 13, 2011 at 11:26 PM

I gave you four. Should I write a book?

Maybe I’m wrong-but I’ve heard Palin say this twice…

Dreadnought on February 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Without a quote and context, can’t help you.

It seems to do pretty well for Romney’s reputation for “brilliance”.

ddrintn on February 13, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Romney gets a lot more specific in terms of policy, you (and I) may not always agree with him, but at least I get a better idea of what he would actually propose to do.

Dreadnought on February 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Dreadnought on February 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM
Which was sort of like this equally embarrassing column:

I know, this is a “Sputnik moment,” and being cynical is unpatriotic. And maybe the Sputnik analogy can be instructive in other ways. Yes, the Soviets were the first to send junk and animals into space — a race they lost in impressive fashion when it was all over. But were we really ever “behind”?

Of course not. The Soviet Union’s intense effort to erect a facade of accomplishment was achieved by investing in an unnecessary, costly, symbolic, ideology-driven project that did nothing for the aspirations of its citizens or its stagnant, dying economy.

Let’s be sure we’re not on the wrong side of the Sputnik moment.
Fail.

ddrintn on February 13, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Both Harsanyi and Palin make no sense. Are they saying that the United States ultimately won the Space Race without the US government investing huge amounts of money and resources into winning? Both before and after Sputnik was launched?

If they are saying that, they are both very ignorant of history.

Sputnik was a waste for the Soviet Union, only because their economic system and form of government was lacking the ingredients for technological superiority vis-a-vis the USA.

Over the long run, it was senseless for the Soviet Union to try to compete with their faulty economic system. The United States on the other hand could afford to do so, because of our superior economic system. Are Palin and Harsanyi saying that the United States is in the same position now, as the Soviet Union was in the late 1950′s? A second rate power with a faulty economic system trying to outdo a Superpower?

That’s the only way that saying that the United States “shouldn’t be on the wrong side of the Sputnik moment” would make any sense. But that’s not the situation the US is in.

A better argument would be simply to say that the United States is not experiencing a “Sputnik moment”. We are not facing an opponent that requires us to invest large amounts of resources to improve our level of technology. Obama’s premise was faulty, but both Palin and Harsanyi were ignorant as to the meaning of his analogy, and presented silly counter-arguments.

Dreadnought on February 14, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I gave you four. Should I write a book?

You gave me one legit one, the tweet about the First Amendment. On the QEII article, the WSJ clearly disagrees with you:

According to the prepared text of remarks that she released to National Review online, Mrs. Palin also exhibited a more sophisticated knowledge of monetary policy than any major Republican this side of Wisconsin Representative Paul Ryan.

Dreadnought on February 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM

No, he doesn’t. I defy you to give me some specific Romney policy proposals that go beyond the “China is an unfair trading partner-we need to get our financial house in order” stuff.

Both Harsanyi and Palin make no sense.

Dreadnought on February 14, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Sure they do, it’s just your zeal to show Palin to be an idiot that’s in the way. They’re both saying that we don’t have the luxury anymore of spending money on symbolic or otherwise worthless garbage. Which side of the “Sputnik” thing you want to take, the objection makes perfect sense.

Now, I’ve been specific. YOU be specific.

ddrintn on February 15, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Christie is another Guiliani, (best staying in New York/New Jersey)

I worry for our great nation. I support Mitt, but I’m tired of arguing with the Hot Air crowd on this. Do what you feel is right.

scotash on February 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM