Video: Pawlenty’s meeting with CPAC bloggers

posted at 2:15 pm on February 11, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier today, Tim Pawlenty met with the bloggers at CPAC to answer questions about his record and his campaign ahead of his speech this afternoon at 3 ET today. Pawlenty didn’t preview his speech, but instead chose to take questions from the bloggers — and the questions were definitely pointed in some aspects. Below, I have eighteen minutes of the 45-minute Q&A session Pawlenty conducted, including my question on doubts expressed about his ability to excite voters:

A few points in and outside of this video:

• The word I used was “taciturn,” and I never went to Princeton.  At least he didn’t tell my wife to make me take her to nicer restaurants, like he did last year.
  • Pawlenty was asked twice about his previous support for cap-and-trade (one time in this video), and both times said he was flat-out wrong to support it.  He also said that he wouldn’t attempt to get “cute” about parsing it, but admits that it is just bad policy.
  • On DADT, Pawlenty objects to repealing it during the prosecution of two wars, especially when combat units clearly object to the repeal, as Pawlenty says the Pentagon survey demonstrated.  I asked him (outside of this video) how he proposed rolling it back if DADT ends before the 2012 election, and Pawlenty agreed that it would be “difficult” to unring the bell at that point — and he thinks the Obama administration will rush it through for that reason.
  • The video captures a lengthy response on the crisis in Egypt, in which Pawlenty not only criticizes the incoherent American response, but also the lack of preparation over “the last five to ten years” for the obvious issue of an aging Mubarak reaching the end of his life, if not his position.  Cairo is the “third largest American embassy in the world,” Pawlenty stated, wondering why no one seems to have cultivated a Plan B and identified democratization elements within Egypt during that period.

Later, I’ll try to poll the other bloggers who attended to get their reaction; I know a number of them entered the room skeptical of Pawlenty’s candidacy.

Comments

There’s better video/sound quality coming out of Liberation Square right now.

It’s a bit off-putting, no matter how exciting he might have come off.

Abby Adams on February 11, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Pawlenty was asked twice about his previous support for cap-and-trade (one time in this video), and both times said he was flat-out wrong to support it. He also said that he wouldn’t attempt to get “cute” about parsing it, but admits that it is just bad policy.

TPaw’s figured out when you’re in a hole, stop digging. A former Massachusetts governor would be wise to learn this lesson when it comes to state-run health care plans.

jon1979 on February 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Despite the deserved self-flogging over cap-n-tax, TPaw is an also-ran unless you-know-who decides not to run. It is what it is.

pugwriter on February 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Abby Adams on February 11, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Relax, Miss Muffet

:P

blatantblue on February 11, 2011 at 2:28 PM

My gut tells me this guy will be the R nominee in 2012. I can’t say I have always thought that was a good idea but I feel better about it if he is sincere about his rejection of Cap and Trade.

Rocks on February 11, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I just don’t trust the guy. He’s the same one that said that everything was on the up and up with regards to the recount between Al Franken and Norm Coleman. We all know that was rigged.

mizflame98 on February 11, 2011 at 2:48 PM

What’s with all the bottled water? Did the bloggers all go out an get loaded last night?

Blake on February 11, 2011 at 2:51 PM

He had the Courage to Stand.

portlandon on February 11, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Rocks on February 11, 2011 at 2:44 PM

After I heard an interview with him on Medved last week, T-Paw became my first choice for 2012. I was quite impressed by him-and the fact that he gives some Minn. liberals that I know fits-only makes me like him that much more.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 11, 2011 at 2:53 PM

TPaw so far manages nine ten comments, meanwhile the Wolf Blitzed thread is in the seventies and counting. Sums up TPaw’s electoral problems, doesn’t it?

pugwriter on February 11, 2011 at 3:28 PM

He is speaking at CPAC now. This guy is painful to watch.

P. Monk on February 11, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I’m still undecided, but I do like T-Paw very much, and it doesn’t just stem from my four years as a resident of the North Star State. His renunciation of cap-and-tax seems very heartfelt as opposed to flip-flopish.

Red Cloud on February 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Red Cloud on February 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I’m more impressed by people who opposed it in the first place and aren’t in the position to apologize for it now.

SKYFOX on February 11, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Nope, not in a Primary…Glad he has publicly stated that his luv for Cap&Tax was wrong, doubly glad that he didn’t hem and haw about saying so as many pols are want to do…

Gohawgs on February 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM

@pugwriter: Yep. T Paw is still my first choice (I mean, really, who else is there?), but he certainly doesn’t bring out the HA posters. Maybe that’s a positive thing, suggesting he has no strong negatives and would be broadly acceptable.

Gov. Pawlenty’s mea culpa on cap ‘n’ tax is, yes, courageous, as is his support of DADT. Pawlenty stood up for military preparedness while Palin retweeted lesbian Tammy Bruce’s hateful attack on soc cons.

T-PAW T in 2012!

boko fittleworth on February 11, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Is Pawlenty the reason God made Cabinet posts?

ConservativeTalkRadio on February 11, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Did he happen to say what about him is so exceptional that he is not just part of the I’m running mound? I have nothing against him per se but I do know that he should have known cap and tax was bad and that Al Franken stole the Minnesota election. There is a Democrat in the governorship now so he didn’t pave any great way for a Republican.

T Paw is not a fighter and won’t excite anybody. We need a fighter, the marxist once in power do not give it up with out a dirty nasty fight!

CCRWM on February 11, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Looks like Gov. Pawlenty’s CPAC speech went over well. Politico says the reception started slowly but built to a great deal of enthusiasm and more than one standing ovation. Perhaps a microcosm for how T-Paw’s campaign will go?

boko fittleworth on February 11, 2011 at 4:23 PM

This post is up for over 2 hours and has 19 comments. I think that says it all. Pawlenty has NO support.

huckleberryfriend on February 11, 2011 at 4:37 PM

If the response her is an indicator, he should buy himself a nice Bass Boat.

SurferDoc on February 11, 2011 at 4:38 PM

GMTA

SurferDoc on February 11, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Five words of caution to Ed…Hugh Hewitt and Mitt Romney.

d1carter on February 11, 2011 at 4:43 PM

He had the Courage to Stand.

portlandon on February 11, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Actually, he is sitting down in the video clip.

steebo77 on February 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM

CCRWM on February 11, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Pawlenty doesn’t deserve blame over the Franken thing- under MN law, the elected AG (a Dem) is the authority over elections; Pawlenty had virtually no say in the matter.

Hollowpoint on February 11, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Maybe I’m being nitpicky, but this comes off a bit like “hey, don’t you like My guy?

cs89 on February 11, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Pawlenty seems like an awfully nice, good human being. But he’s just not doing anything to increase his exposure.

therightwinger on February 11, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Palin 2012!

Done That on February 11, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I heard his speech on cspan, I was trying to avoid all of this egypt stuff. His speech started out painfully slow with very muted reception by the crowd. Eventually he got in his stride and delivered the last half pretty well, but in the general compared to obama, I think he will put Americans to sleep, no matter how mad we are at obama.

karenhasfreedom on February 11, 2011 at 5:41 PM

T-PAW T in 2012!

boko fittleworth on February 11, 2011 at 3:57 PM

DITTO!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 11, 2011 at 7:13 PM

This thread is buried and stalled, but what I wouldn’t give for a boring adult President. Less reality TV, less teh ghey drama, less hero worship, less HA clicks. More grownups. Go T Paw!

boko fittleworth on February 11, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Not a lot of comments = not a lot of interest or enthusiasm. You can’t win in 2012 without interest and enthusiasm. The cold hard truth is bring won’t cut it this time out.

Done That on February 12, 2011 at 7:01 AM