Romney supporters at CPAC pitching him as the anti-Palin

posted at 8:14 pm on February 11, 2011 by Allahpundit

Do note, while HuffPo refers to “common” swipes at Palin in the halls of CPAC this year, their evidence consists of quotes from … two people. And one guy isn’t even guilty of a “swipe.” He says he likes her but simply fears she can’t win.

Even so, as I’ve argued many times before, this dynamic in the primaries is inevitable — even if she doesn’t run. Half the field will compete for the principled “true conservative” nomination (Palin, Huck, Santorum), the other half will compete for the moderate/managerial nomination (Mitt, Daniels, Huntsman), and then there’ll be a showdown. (Pawlenty and Gingrich are more or less trying to straddle the two.) Winner take all — unless he/she alienates the other camp so badly that some Republicans stay home in the general election, in which case game over. The “Palin” candidate will paint the “anti-Palin” as a squish who’ll get rolled by the left and the “anti-Palin” will paint “Palin” as incompetent and unelectable. Right? This is all old hat. But since “anti-Palin” supporters talking smack is always good for a freakout in the comments, let’s liven up the night a bit:

“Intelligence versus not-so-intelligent,” was the pitch by Ken Merritt, a Virginia-based Romney supporter with roots in Palin’s home state of Alaska. “Fluff versus not about fluff … [Palin] does a great show on TV, though.”

Swipes like these have been common during this year’s gathering of conservative activists. A no-show at CPAC for several years running, Palin has been a popular subject among the convention crowd, her absence interpreted either as an innocent scheduling conflict or, more often, evidence that she doesn’t feel the need to placate conservative voters…

“I would much rather have him than Palin,” said Bradley Gunther, a student at the University of Delaware whose college Republican group organized buses to Washington for the conference. “I think she is a good spokesperson for the conservative movement. She’s like Howard Dean for the Democrats: she gets people fired up but can’t win an election.”…

“He does go deeper into policy than any other candidate, and sometimes going deeper into policy, because he is so much more conversant, can give the perception that he’s not perfectly consistent,” Merritt said. “But what’s not to like about him? He has the experience and credentials to know what he’s doing as well as a business background and an organizational background. He is obviously the most intellectually-gifted one in the pack.”

Red State contributor Dan McLaughlin says of course Romney is the anti-Palin: Palin, after all, has principles. Mitch Daniels almost took a shot at Mitt too, goofing on his stiffness before backing off at the last moment. It’s campaign season, amigos — time to start throwing some punches. In fact, even the new head honcho of CPAC is getting into the mix, suggesting that Palin and Huckabee mustn’t be serious about running or else they’d have showed up this weekend, wouldn’t they? Zing!

For your viewing pleasure, a few minutes of Romney’s speech this morning indicting The One for helping to bring about new Hoovervilles. (Really?) Fox News pollsters asked Republican voters which potential nominees they think would make good presidents. Only Huckabee (55 percent) and Romney (54 percent) cracked majority support. Gingrich landed at 43 percent and Palin at just 40, with Jeb Bush behind her by a single point.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

And your point is?

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 11:42 AM

What’s your point? Obama is the equivalent of Palin?

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Yes. I thought I made it clear (I said comparable not equivalent) in the post you responded to.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Well, I’m not sure how you came to that conclusion.

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM

In most respects I don’t know how one could avoid that conclusion. Neither one is qualified to be president. PBHO is a better politician, as he proved by winning and bringing in a huge number of swing voters along the way. Palin governed a state with a population about that Indianapolis and with massive oil revenues for half of a term. She did OK but that’s hardly a qualification for president. Politically, Palin has shown a good ability to piss off liberals. A good characteristic, but not for one running for president. For example, using the term, “death panel” may be justifiable in some sense, but is not any way to win over swing voters.

As I see it neither one has any business being within 100 yards of the WH grounds, but PBHO is the stronger politician.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 12:13 PM

but PBHO is the stronger politician.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Obama is president because of the media and the left. An unbiased media would have destroyed him in the runup to the election.

Palin on the other hand, has faced the other side of the media and survived.

I think we both know that one is simply a fabrication of the left and the other the real deal.

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 12:31 PM

If you want a candidate with comparable abilities to PBHO, then by all means go with her. I say we need set the bar a lot higher than either of them.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 11:28 AM

And Romney is the equivalent of what, Bob Dole? John McCain?

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 12:31 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 12:13 PM

So what exactly do you consider to be the qualifications needed to be President?

Aitch748 on February 12, 2011 at 12:40 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Aitch748 on February 12, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Whatever Palin isn’t, obviously.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Aitch748 on February 12, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Most importantly:

1. A strong understanding of economics and private sector business as demonstrated by one such as Herman Caine or yes Mitt Romney (not that I am endorsing him).

2. An ability to forge a consensus necessary to enact the kind of government reduction (including elimination and privatization of government functions and reduction of transfer payment programs like SS and medicare) we’re going to need to get out of the mess we’re in.

3. A specific and realistic plan that is politically viable to vastly simplify and reform our taxation. I would love a flat tax and no corporate taxation, but I know that would not be politically viable. Something that gets us closer to that however is imperative.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:04 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Oops, Mr. Cain does not spell his last name with an “e”. Also, I would include Daniels and Ryan in that list I provided.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:08 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:04 PM

If you think Mitt Romney would ever do either of those, you’d better quit sitting in judgement of Palin’s intellect.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Obama is president because of the media and the left.

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Obama is president because he got more votes than McCain. That’s all that matters.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:10 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:09 PM

If you would notice, I only included him as an example of point 1, not 2 or 3.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Palin governed a state with a population about that Indianapolis…

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Which would’ve been the knock against her if she had served two full terms as governor. Like clockwork.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:09 PM

If you would notice, I only included him as an example of point 1, not 2 or 3.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM

You didn’t specifically exclude him from any point, either.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:12 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Egads, consider it done and move on for Pete’s sake.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:13 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Egads, consider it done and move on for Pete’s sake.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:13 PM

OK, as soon as you tell us what a similarly worthless candidate Romney would be. Egads, hell will freeze over first.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:14 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:04 PM

George Soros and Warren Buffett have demonstrated even greater acumen in that area. I don’t care much for this particular fetish. If I don’t agree with someone’s politics, I couldn’t care less what their private sector executive experience is.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I couldn’t say yet. You asked and I told you my criteria and explained why I think Palin is no contender. I’m going to keep an open mind to see who fits the description best. If you want to continue to worship the ground she walks on see if I care.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM

If you want to continue to worship the ground she walks on see if I care.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM

The usual straw man. Wow, those anti-Palin types are razor-sharp.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:18 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Criteria 1, competence is a necessary but not sufficient qualification. Numbers 2 and 3 cannot happen without number 1. Comprende?

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:19 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:19 PM

So ONLY someone with extensive private-sector business experience is going to be able to “fix” the entitlements mess and reform the tax code? Then Connolly would’ve been the obvious choice in 1980.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:20 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:18 PM

That’s right, ignore all of what I said previously, reduce my argument against Palin to that line (which was actually about you not her) and feign dismissal.

You aren’t serious, you’re a cheerleader. Rah, rah.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:21 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:20 PM

RR demonstrated such an understanding. I did not say that one must have been a CEO, I said one must demonstrate an good understanding of the private sector.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:24 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:18 PM

You aren’t serious, you’re a cheerleader. Rah, rah.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Another straw man. You’re addicted.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:24 PM

RR demonstrated such an understanding.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:24 PM

So how does Palin not demonstrate such an understanding?

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:25 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Do you even know what is meant by the term, “straw man argument?”

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:26 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Do you even know what is meant by the term, “straw man argument?”

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:26 PM

A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent’s position.

As in “go ahead and worship the ground she works on, you drooling cultist”. Get it?

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:27 PM

*walks, not works

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:28 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:27 PM

And how does that not represent your argument? I looked through the entire thread for your posts and you have done nothing else.

Rah, rah.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Rah, rah.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:36 PM

You just can’t get away from the fallacy, can you? This question must’ve tripped you up:

So how does Palin not demonstrate such an understanding?

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Still waiting…

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Still waiting…

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:38 PM

It’s hardly the type of question that can be answered in just a few words in a blog post. Put simply, whenever I have heard her speak she cannot help but confuse supply side arguments with demand side. She is much more interested in her sound byte way of coming up with memorable “zingers” against the other side than in providing a clear statement of her own ideas.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:44 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Link?

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:45 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Paul Gigot of the WSJ would disagree, by the way.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:48 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:45 PM

No link. That’s my own recollection of when I’ve heard her. The day I hear her tell us something coherent on economics I’ll let you know.

Or better yet, why don’t you explain to me what her ideas are on taxation both individual and corporate? And where does she stand on reforming entitlement programs like SS and medicare? Or about how to form a consensus to reduce government? Let’s hear something more from you than rah, rah.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:44 PM

You know, I don’t know of any potential candidate that has released a platform stating their plans and ideas. Do you?

In fact, they all seem to speak in generalities at the moment.

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM

What are Romney’s ideas on the same? Pawlenty? Daniels? Cain? Anyone?

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 1:57 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Score one for Sarah. No candidate could possibly be viable and not be critical of helicopter Ben’s money printing.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:58 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I often wonder if Palin’s detractors actually read what she writes. Multiple op-eds in WSJ, Facebook posts (yes I know it’s FB, but many are lengthy and detailed), etc. She’s laid out clear statements on multiple topics, multiple times, but all the haters seem to only be able to focus on the soundbytes fed to them by the media.

Missy on February 12, 2011 at 2:00 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 1:48 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Way to move those goalposts.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 2:04 PM

WSJ: Sarah Palin: Why I Support The Ryan Roadmap

Missy on February 12, 2011 at 2:05 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Let’s see the definitive, detailed policy proposals of ANY of the potential candidates at this point.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 2:05 PM

WSJ: Sarah Palin: Why I Support The Ryan Roadmap

Missy on February 12, 2011 at 2:05 PM

“Pfffft. How could anyone be a viable candidate and NOT support the Ryan Roadmap?” LOL

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 2:07 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Now what? I congratulated her on getting this one right and you’re still complaining?

Or do you think that since I agree with her on this point I must therefore acknowledge her to be sufficiently savvy to hold the office of president?

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 2:07 PM

In a backhanded way, of course. “Well they’d ALL say that…”

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Demonstrate how she’s NOT savvy or “understanding”, as your criterion above would have it. I’m waiting for the supply-side/demand-side “confusion” example.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 2:09 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Dude. The entire left across the planet has had marching orders to kill Palin for a while now. She’s still alive. They’ve spent millions trying to get rid of her.

If Palin is anything she’s “sufficiently savvy to hold the office of president”.

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 2:12 PM

In a backhanded way, of course. “Well they’d ALL say that…”

If that is true (and I’m not sure it is) then how much is it a point in her favor? Why did you even bring it up if you knew it wasn’t going to distinguish her from anyone else in the field?

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Keep waiting. I told you that was my conclusion from recollection.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 2:17 PM

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 2:12 PM

You lost the context of that statement. I was referring to economics.

As for her being alive, what office does she hold? Oh that’s right, she has a Facebook page. Bravo.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I’m waiting for the supply-side/demand-side “confusion” example.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I can remember one conversation, more or less. It involved taxing the rich wrt Kerry’s yacht. She badly muddled the demand side argument of the rich spurring growth by spending with the supply side notion that money in excess of consumption is used for investment.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 2:25 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 2:21 PM

She holds no office, which makes the fact that the left is obsessed with destroying her even more remarkable. Apparently her Facebook posts have more power than most in office.

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM

But that just gets us back to my original observation on her. Her main talent is an uncanny ability to piss of leftists. A talent I admire, find quite entertaining and applaud but not one suited to winning a general election.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Well. We Palin supporters are looking for a leader. It would seem that you’d prefer a policy wonk.

Aitch748 on February 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM

What is the matter with these people? Have they learned nothing from history or even the last 20 years. These “moderate” manager types are a lost cause. They will never win against a billion dollar political machine working 24/7 to paint Obama as the “centrist” candidate.

We need someone who is an obvious “change”….there i said it. If its Obama versus Obama lite, we will get trounced. It has to be Carter versus Reagan, not Carter versus Ford.

Romney and Huckabee are both guaranteed losses, Romney will make it respectable…..Huckabee would be a disaster of Mondale proportions.

Why not play for the win, ties go to the runner, which is definitely Obama, the campaign master…..its really all he does well. We have to change the game or we cant win due to the nature of Presidential politics.

That means finding a candidate that means more than “next in line for the nomination”.

Right now, it looks like it might be Herman Cain. He is as close to game changing as i can find, and the guy is a stand up and cheer, speaker.

I suggest everyone give this guy a look before settling in on the next GOP chosen “meh” candidate.

4 more years of Obama is unacceptable.

alecj on February 12, 2011 at 2:32 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Well we’ll just have to see. I personally think she can win and win handily.
Her main talent is common sense and unshakeable principles and values. That’s what pisses off the left. They can’t get to her.

Of all the people I’ve seen go through the grinder of Washington politics, Palin is the only one I’ve ever seen that doesn’t have skeletons in her closet. The left has been digging for years only to come up empty. That is remarkable.

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 2:34 PM

alecj on February 12, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Cain’s a man I definitely want to learn more about. Every time I’ve heard him I’ve been impressed.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 2:35 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 2:35 PM

But he’s never held political office

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 2:38 PM

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 2:38 PM

That certainly is a big liability. I’ll need more time to decide if I think it’s a disqualifier.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 2:40 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 2:40 PM

It shouldn’t be. If he can lead and has unwavering principles all he needs to do is surround himself with the best advisors he can find.

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM

My concern would be his ability to win an election. I may conclude that he is ideal to govern but if he’s apt to make fatal mistakes on the campaign trail it does us no good.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 2:48 PM

good point.

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 3:07 PM

And there’s a reason for that. They’re not wasting their effort on Romney, Huck, or anyone else, because of course they are not afraid of them. They are all standard politicans who they can always take out at any time.

Gov. Palin is the one the Left fears and that tells you all you need to know going into 2012.

Sharr on February 12, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Missy on February 12, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Not every adult hangs out at (or reads on occasion) facebook posts which is where Palin posts what “she writes” to use your words.

I am finding the Palin-pushing a bit tedious, I admit it. I like her as a public person but I consider her mostly to be an entertainer, at this rate. Her teen-slang-terms she uses about other adults suggests she’s generally immature.

As I just wrote, SUGGESTS about her…any of us can only evaluate anyone else by how we present ourselves. I don’t have any interests in either “detracting” Palin NOR in crusading for her, and I’m still available as voter to see if she matures in her views and public statements, etc. Still willing to give her the benefit of the doubt but I do think that attacking voters who question what she’s about harms Palin more than those you think “detract” her.

Just saying, she’s a politician and we need to start hiring talent for the Executive Branch as also the Judicial and Legislative. I’m weary of the Big Celebrity for the President and would relish the idea of voting for someone for the Presidency who was a keen businessperson.

Palin’s striking me so far as immature. And I’m still not sure why she claims that Progressive McCain represents her own views on all, particularly calling to question her views on amnesty for illegals, national security, among other very important issues what with McCain’s troubles (that Palin supports, so she says).

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Or better yet, why don’t you explain to me what her ideas are…

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM

I and others point out specific statements of Palin’s, and you only point out vague recollections of statements she has made…and yet I’m just a “rah rah cheerleader”. Let this be a lesson to you.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Sharr on February 12, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Palin’s also the one the Left is pushing to be the GOP candidate. So caution is necessary all around, apparently.

McCain was the Left’s favored for 2008 and look how that transpired.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Palin’s striking me so far as immature.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Yeah, right. Only a child could go through that withering fire and character assassination and remain standing. Get real.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Palin’s also the one the Left is pushing to be the GOP candidate.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:01 PM

So where’s the love for Palin that they showed for McCain before he became the GOP nominee?

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:03 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:00 PM

In all due respect – and I don’t have a dog in this hunt but I’d sure like to get a GOP President elected to the White House in November 2012 – I have read these comments start to here and I what I read from you is general criticism of MJBrutus and an ongoing avoidance of being specific.

When asked for such, you changed the subject and asked rhetorically, about the positions stated by Pawlenty, etc. But you never addressed the question/s Brutus posed to you re: Palin’s positions, etc.

So I’m still undecided as to enthusiasm about a Palin as GOP nominee 2012. I think the cult-worship approach is the wrong way to go FOR ANY CANDIDATE.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:01 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:03 PM

What? Go ask “them,” b/c I’m not among their kind nor numbers.

I question the militancy among many who post the big-tire-runovers as to anyone who isn’t keen on Palin, because that’s the process used by the Left to raise McCain while destroying any other candidate last election.

Palin needs to be held to task just like every other politician who is being considered for a 2012 run. It’s a very big mistake to just toss onesself into some Palin Pool because you think she’s “nice” or “cute” or are somehow fascinated with a group-think or membership in such that you assume you’re engaged in…it suggests the Paulanistas mentality and behavior and it gives the rest of us voters the creeps as it ALSO makes Palin look unreliable or questioinable, contrary to perhaps what you think you’re doing.

I could tell little difference last election from the raging from the McCain-dedicated than I could from the Hillary or Obama-dedicated: they all were unbridled, literally, in their attempts at destroying others.

Don’t like a politician, fine, then don’t support them. But running all over others who might represent possible voters for a party that can oust Obama is not the way to go and it doesn’t do much for Palin.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:04 PM

What?? I’ve been FAR more specific than Palin detractors have been.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:10 PM

No one’s asking you to do so. Support whomever you want, but be specific in your criticism of Palin rather than just throwing around vague “she’s not very good” “criticisms”.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:13 PM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2011 at 2:35 PM

But he’s never held political office

darwin on February 12, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Agreed! He’s a great motivator, a talented speaker.

And, I like what he has to say.

HOWEVER, as with ALL politicians, if that’s what Cain is, it’s still a case of examining just how and what they’d DO with the Presidency.

Me, I’m burned out on Mr. Party in the Oval Office. We need, our country needs, a talented leader as to competitive Capitalism, as also someone with a heart for our nation’s values, Founding Fathers’ style.

Cain just may be in the spot he’s best at: talk radio host, motivator, general honorable guy who inspires others to do better if not their best.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Bill Gates or Steve Jobs.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Leadership is about inspiring people to be their better selves and frankly when comparing Palin to Romney can anyone remember anything spoken by Romney(without googling Romney quotes!)which has inspired you? Not to mention anything from his speeches which stuck with you that you could conclude was conservative in principle? As to Palin, unless you suffer from amnesia, there are a multitude of conservative statements and actions which comes to mind.

wtng2fish on February 12, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Lourdes,

Many times her FB posts are the fodder for MSM reports so, you may have “seen” them without realizing it.

Immature, unladylike, etc. are used to describe the former Governor when she responds to ah hominem attacks from both the left and the right. Maybe after 8 years of not having a Republican respond to such attacks we’ve grown unaccustomed to standing up for oneself and one’s family…

Gohawgs on February 12, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:10 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:13 PM

And I have never limited my comments about Palin as “she’s not very good.”

I think you aim condemnation far too intensely at other people who are not involved in your Palin campaign goal. You were asked many times for specifics as to what Palin’s had to offer as to her sales points as a candidate, you declined to state them and instead just criticize anyone who asks about such.

It’s one thing to love some public person but it starts sounding a bit too unstable when there’s no room for discussion, both the good and the bad, about a public person who is asking for a great deal of public investment.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:17 PM

What???? Again I pointed out to specific policy position which have been published in multiple places, and I’M the one who’s not offering specifics? You make this typical lazy-ass assumption that anyone who doesn’t buy into the whole “she’s unqualified and unelectable and just a nice person who’s an entertainer” stuff is obviously a drooling sycophant who worships the ground Palin walks on.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Lourdes,

Gohawgs on February 12, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I really do sympathize with Ms. Palin for the trials she’s been subjected to, personally and privately, by the Left. I am well aware of the worst of it, and think it’s wretched as to statement about the Left.

But since Palin uses facebook as she does, surely she must be aware that she’s going to be read by supporters and critics alike. And, facebook isn’t GENERALLY known to be an adult method for presentation of, well, someone perhaps considering the Presidency.

But it’s a workable one, so, hey, I can understand why Palin resorted to using it…builds “community” and all that.

I respect Palin’s PERSONAL values and beliefs, such that I’m aware of what they are. But at this rate, she seems more to be a celebrity-personna in relationship with the Presidency and like I’ve said, I think our nation has seen already the dangers of swooning over a celebrity as President.

So many voters are still undecided and looking for more. My main point at all with even commenting here was that the attacks on those who aren’t gung-ho (yet or ever) on Palin is not good for Palin and ya’ll might want to think twice before reaming someone who asks questions or suggests misgivings.

The Left did the same with McCain, though. It’s a process they use to both harass the support-base for potential GOP voters and to pose as supporters themselves. I saw a very bad dose of that last election which resulted in every possible candidate EXCEPT McCain being nominated…unfortunately.

What this does is keep one person in the media who the Left seems to want as GOP candidate. The criticism keeps them more active in media than others.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:10 PM

And insinuating that anyone who doesn’t share your views on Palin is some sort of creepy cultist doesn’t help the remainder of the potential field, either. Follow your own advice. No one’s forcing you to support Palin. Be specific in your policy criticisms of her, though.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Half the field will compete for the principled “true conservative” nomination (Palin, Huck, Santorum), the other half will compete for the moderate/managerial nomination (Mitt, Daniels, Huntsman),…

Did you really put Huckabee in the classification of a true conservative? What have you been smoking?

mizflame98 on February 12, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Why? Because you say so?

ElectricPhase on February 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:24 PM

She seems, and then you carp about “specifics”. She has a passionate following and is charismatic, so she must be JUST like Obama. Uh-huh.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:17 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM

See, that’s exactly the type of crud commenting that drives people away from the entire idea of Palin anywhere.

Have a nice day. I need some fresh air.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Why? Because you say so?

ElectricPhase on February 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM

My opinion, yes. We’re not all machines with harddrives where our minds should be. Some of us actually have individual opinions based upon our individual experiences and observations.

You can’t be serious in asking me that…”because you say so”. Surely you can’t be serious.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Why? Because you say so?

ElectricPhase on February 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Yeah, that’s puzzling. Lourdes might as well say that the Internet in general is not recognized as an “adult” form of presentation.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM

No, that’s the kind of “crud” that exposes phony arguments. Be as specific as you demand Palin supporters to be. “I don’t like Mitt’s hair and she SEEMS like a TV news anchor” is not a specific legitimate criticism.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:31 PM

* oops, “he”, not “she”

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:32 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Why are Palin campaigners all so rude to and about total strangers? You and a few like you do more to DISCOURAGE support for Palin than you seem able to understand.

I don’t know Sarah Palin. I donated quite a bit of time, resources, materials and talent to the GOP ticket with McCain/Palin in 2008 and did so after Palin was selected as V.P. nominee, so I have no guilt or duplicity about NOT giving it all I had to try to rally for that ticket in 2008. I like how the Palin campaigners use some of my work even today. Never once got a thanks in any capacity, either, but go ahead.

My opinion of Palin does not grow with comments such as yours, and if anything, I feel far less eager to know more about her when I read comments such as yours.

You provided little here except insults. I’ll vote as per my conscience and sense of responsibility in 2012 and I hope we among the GOP have a supportable nominee to vote for. I have no idea one way or the other if it’s Palin and at this rate, I’m not going to speculate if it will be.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I couldn’t care less if it helps Palin’s campaign or not. And you think that calling complete strangers creepy cultists is going to help Mitt?

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Yep, not the traditional method of communicating with the electorate. However, it is a method for unfiltered communication with the electorate as many of her posts read and shared with others through FB reposts and emailed links. Then there are the FB posts that are repeated by the MSM, et al…

As for the demographics of FB users…

10 years ago there was no little in the way of widely used social media. Today, there’s FB, MySpace, Twitter and more that allows people to communicate more easily and faster than before. It’s not a media that should be dismissed because it’s not my Father’s Buick…

Gohawgs on February 12, 2011 at 4:35 PM

You provided little here except insults.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I provided a link as to her positions on economic issues, as did others, and at the same time asked for the detractors to be just as specific. All I got was your going on about how Palin supporters are cultists and how she’s “immature” and how using Facebook isn’t an adult form of presentation. All of which is quite subjective.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:37 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I’ll support and vote for whoever I determine in 2012 and leading up to 2012 is the best candidate for the Presidency.

That doesn’t include any more celebrities or snarky darlings. Palin’s growing thin with me for just those reasons, her immature snarks and such about other adults — and her “supporters” who are so irresponsible to other voters in media and especially on the internet. Reminds me too much of the Paul People, very emotional, very extreme, very inexact with to many elaborations.

Palin’s stronghold is the Alaska oil possibilities: national energy development and energy independence, AS an Alaskan but not yet from what I’ve read as a possible President.

She has time to make those points clear or clearer, so she (and you as her campaigner) should be taking advantage of selling her and not trouncing anyone who isn’t on the bandwagon.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Surely you can’t be serious.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Don’t call me Shirley

Gohawgs on February 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Oh, come on. “Facebook isn’t GENERALLY known” vs. “I don’t think that Facebook is” Most of us are careful not to state personal opinions as generally accepted principles.

ElectricPhase on February 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I missed your “link” but, sorry, gotta’ run. I really do need some fresh air.

Where did I call you “Palin supporters” “cultists”? Don’t bother responding, I won’t be reading it.

You do behave moreorless like every Paul Person I’ve ever read on the internet, however, same high-strung emotional fly-offs and inability to converse with anyone. In other words, easily threatened and it’s inexplicable when most people at this stage are “simply asking” questions about who Palin is, what her positions and capabilities for the Presidency are.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM

That doesn’t include any more celebrities or snarky darlings.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Romney’s not a “snarky celebrity”? You don’t find his anti-Obama “Hooverville” snark to be “immature”? Of course not.

Get on whatever bandwagon you want to ride. That’s your decision. If it hurts your feelings to have your shallow “logic” exposed, that’s not my problem.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM

ElectricPhase on February 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM

All I know of facebook, I’ve seen in group popularity competitions and whatnot. It’s not what MOST adults, not today, would generally think of in regards a Presidential candidate. Which was my point.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Palin’s also the one the Left is pushing to be the GOP candidate.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Yeah, one tiny corner of the Left thinks that Obama will win all 57 states if his opponent is Palin, but the overwhelming majority of people on the Left, in the Journolist industry and in entertainment circles and among the Democrats, are all acting as if they believe that Palin needs to be shoved off the stage and out of public life. How is the Left pushing her to be our candidate if most of the leftists are screaming about how horrible and stupid and nasty she is and about how they’re sick to death of her? I don’t remember the Left EVER treating McCain with the kind of vitriol that they like to spew at Palin (and even at her children).

Aitch748 on February 12, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:38 PM

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Aha, so it’s your “Romney hate” that is your motivator.

I’m not sold on Romney, either. Nor anyone else for the Presidency 2012. And I provided a lot to the McCain/Palin ticket and to those individuals themselves whereas I did not to Romney, so you’re wrong to bring that/him/your nemesis into this.

Like I said, gotta’ go get some FRESH air.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I missed your “link” but, sorry, gotta’ run. I really do need some fresh air.

Maybe you should’ve looked for it before claiming that all I had done is insult and refuse to offer specifics, don’t you think?

Of course you won’t, but you insinuated it again below:

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Again, I’m the one who pointed to specifics, while you did nothing but point out vague, subjective appeals to emotionalism. Pot, kettle, etc.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Aha, so it’s your “Romney hate” that is your motivator.

I don’t hate Romney. I just want equal treatment for him…which he will get, sooner or later.

Like I said, gotta’ go get some FRESH air.

Lourdes on February 12, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Of course you’re not sold on Romney. It’s so much easier to snark in Palin threads.

Yeah, you do need some fresh air.

ddrintn on February 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM