Multiculturalism a Failure Says…Europe

posted at 1:30 pm on February 11, 2011 by John Sexton

Yesterday French President Nicolas Sarkozy said the following about multiculturalism during a television interview:

“My answer is clearly yes, it is a failure,” he said in a television interview when asked about the policy which advocates that host societies welcome and foster distinct cultural and religious immigrant groups.

“Of course we must all respect differences, but we do not want… a society where communities coexist side by side.

“If you come to France, you accept to melt into a single community, which is the national community, and if you do not want to accept that, you cannot be welcome in France,” the right-wing president said.

“The French national community cannot accept a change in its lifestyle, equality between men and women… freedom for little girls to go to school,” he said.

“We have been too concerned about the identity of the person who was arriving and not enough about the identity of the country that was receiving him,” Sarkozy said in the TFI channel show.

You might be thinking this was a gaffe, but it turns out it’s actually part of a trend. It began last October when German Chancellor Angela Merkel made much the same point:

This approach has failed, totally,” she said, adding that immigrants should integrate and adopt Germany’s culture and values. “We feel tied to Christian values. Those who don’t accept them don’t have a place here,” said the chancellor.

This was bolstered by British Prime Minister David Cameron who just a few days ago said:

Under the doctrine of state multiculturalism, we have encouraged different cultures to live separate lives, apart from each other and apart from the mainstream.  We’ve failed to provide a vision of society to which they feel they want to belong.  We’ve even tolerated these segregated communities behaving in ways that run completely counter to our values.

Some on the right have suggested that Cameron’s statements were weak. I disagree. Can you imagine any major political figure in the United States saying this?

when a white person holds objectionable views, racist views for instance, we rightly condemn them.  But when equally unacceptable views or practices come from someone who isn’t white, we’ve been too cautious frankly – frankly, even fearful – to stand up to them.

With the leaders of Europe publicly and forcefully abandoning multiculturalism, isn’t it time for America to make the same move?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

ernesto on February 11, 2011 at 2:51 PM

No, it fetishizes diversity by linking the whatever putative interesting insight they may have to the student’s being Somali-born. And if, as commonsense reality often shows, the X-born students are not particularly insightful, or bright, it ignores the finding in order to keep ideology intact, or puts it down to racism or poverty.

Fortunata on February 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Fortunata on February 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM

But ernesto absorbs diversity molecules by sitting next to a Somali student and it gives him something to crow about when he meets his buddies for lattes.

darwin on February 11, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I’d like to know why, if according to multiculturalism, all other cultures are superior to American culture … why do they come here?

darwin on February 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Fortunata on February 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM

To some degree, having lived in Mogadishu provides at least the potential for interesting insight into that conflict, no? And as far as I know, international students have to pass the same classes I do. I just like being able to take a class on the history of the modern middle east and have some former Cairo or Beirut residents in the classroom, to add to the discussion. Why the thought elicits such anger from you, I have no idea.

ernesto on February 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM

darwin on February 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Superb straw man. No one has said that.

ernesto on February 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Superb straw man. No one has said that.

ernesto on February 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Not a strawman.

darwin on February 11, 2011 at 3:17 PM

ernesto on February 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Having first hand knowledge of that particular area would do, if that’s what they were studying. How would it work if, for example, they were studying Spanish literature, or molecular engineering, and why would their insights be more interesting that say, a Texan’s?

Fortunata on February 11, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Palin/Sarkozy 2012

angryed on February 11, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Superb straw man. No one has said that.

ernesto on February 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I take it you haven’t seen a public school textbook recently. I have. And that is exactly what it says.

angryed on February 11, 2011 at 3:21 PM

It really amazes me that the LSM is still running cover for this empty suited fool in the WH. Especially when he keeps trying to implement all of the demonstrable failed policies tried by the Eurotrash. Even they have publicly acknowledged that the policies and programs are failures and don’t work.

What a maroon!

belad on February 11, 2011 at 3:22 PM

darwin on February 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM

This puzzles me also. If America is so racist, why would anyone take large risks and violate laws just to live here? If our illegal immigrants are that stupid, it’s a pretty reason to get them out of the country as soon as possible.

thuja on February 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM

For the record, I don’t speak spanish. Just callin it as I see it. Its not as if english is inherently superior to spanish, if there were millions more latinos than whites in the US, why shouldn’t spanish be the lingua franca?

ernesto on February 11, 2011 at 2:26 PM

And you turn around and say people are bigoted and paranoid.

It is your stated purpose to turn us into Mexico. What good does that do anyone? Once we are gone there isn’t any place to escape to.

Why don’t you have an interest in preserving the culture and society that draws those from failed societies?

I truly don’t understand why there is such a strong desire to destroy us. Is it merely envy?

petunia on February 11, 2011 at 3:29 PM

thuja on February 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Stop it. You’ll make ernie and PR’s brains explode with such logic.

angryed on February 11, 2011 at 3:29 PM

petunia on February 11, 2011 at 3:29 PM

You can’t use logic when debating a liberal. Ernie has no interest in keeping America a good place. He like Obama wishes to destroy it by all means necessary.

When you look at an issue like multi-culti, you look at it from a point of view that asks “does this help or hurt my country?” Ernie looks at it from a point of view of “is this hurting my country enough”.

angryed on February 11, 2011 at 3:32 PM

ernesto on February 11, 2011 at 2:26 PM

So by mob rule fiat you advocate the changing of a nation’s native language through illegal immigration & refusal to assimilate?
That’s pretty insane.
So do you agree that if we were populated by millions of muslim immigrants that the native language should be changed to Arabic & the native government should be Sharia Law?
You should keep in mind that to be ‘Hispanic’ means JACK SQUAT.
And ‘Hispanics’ or ‘Latinos’ speak a LOT of different languages.

Badger40 on February 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I lost patience with the ‘multicultural’ thing when my sample ballots started arriving with the Spanish translation in larger font than the English.

ExPat on February 11, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I can’t remember anyone in Europe ever having a problem with any religion other than Islam. Especially Germany.

Proud Rino on February 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I don’t recall German Jews in the thirties living on welfare, going on raping sprees, burning vehicles nightly, or demanding their own court system. That is one hell of a reach.

Vashta.Nerada on February 11, 2011 at 3:47 PM

angryed on February 11, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Slightly OT, but I need to vent on this issue. Some of my leftist “friends” on Facebook will tell any story and do any amount of research to concoct said story to defend Islam. It’s really off the hook how fanatic they are in their willingness to preclude serious inquiry about Islam. I was told point blank this morning that shari’a doesn’t mean what I learned it meant long ago when I was in fifth grade and continues to be what I read it means until this very day. Their willingness to lie for Islam troubles me to the point that I feel depressed today. What promotes such treason?

thuja on February 11, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Fortunata on February 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Excellently put.
All cultures are NOT =.
Unless, as I said earlier, individual rights & free will mean nothing to you & you live only by the savage law of nature: survival of the fittest.
I see no beauty in cultures that accept savageness like female circumcisions or stoning of women, or honor killings etc. I don’t care if there is a shred of beauty in them, any of it is spoiled by the true ugliness the rest of it represents.

Badger40 on February 11, 2011 at 3:48 PM

thuja on February 11, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I don’t have people as friends like that. On FB or anywhere else.
And if I found out that what I thought was a good friend insisted upon discussing such insanity with me to bring me to their side of insanity, drop them like a stone.
Why would you want to cling to a drowning person when they seek to drag you down with them?

Badger40 on February 11, 2011 at 3:50 PM

the right-wing president said

If Sarkozy had been advocating FOR multi-culturalism, no qualifier would have been included. If you wonder why this is true, you aren’t paying attention.

runawayyyy on February 11, 2011 at 3:51 PM

The progs are always telling us how ‘diversity makes us stronger’. We need to start calling BS on them, and demand an explanation of exactly how diversity makes us stronger. In fact it weakens our country.

slickwillie2001 on February 11, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I don’t have people as friends like that. On FB or anywhere else.

Badger40 on February 11, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I live in a leftist area of a liberal city. I am a Reform Jew, and my co-religionists are what you would expect. When I was younger, I was a leftist and all my old friends are leftist loons, even those who I weren’t political. I don’t have conservative friends. I don’t even know where to go to meet conservatives. This is why Hotair is so valuable to me.

thuja on February 11, 2011 at 4:00 PM

brb, filling out immigration to France papers.

rollthedice on February 11, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Proud Rino on February 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Remember the Reformation? Perhaps you were limiting your observation to the current century?

karl9000 on February 11, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Does this mean that the Great White Anglo-Saxon Protestant Guilt Trip can end now?

Because I’ve been really sick and tired of being bludgeoned with shame and guilt by the MSM and my acquiescent peers for nearly my entire life.

FlatFoot on February 11, 2011 at 4:18 PM

FlatFoot on February 11, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I like how you expressed this idea.

thuja on February 11, 2011 at 4:28 PM

What promotes such treason?

thuja on February 11, 2011 at 3:48 PM

They hate themselves.

angryed on February 11, 2011 at 4:38 PM

ernesto on February 11, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Because our nation was founded by English-speaking people?

Because our government transactions occur in English?

Because our independence was declared in English?

Because our Constitution is written in English?

Because we are the nation we are today having spoken English?

amerpundit on February 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM

amerpundit on February 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I’d go much further, I believe that there has to be something in the Anglo-Saxon gene, or bloodline, or whatever intangible, that has led America to such success not seen to date anywhere else in the world. Why is Mexico such a sh!thole and America is paradise? Two countries, side by side, rich in resources, with hard-working people, a long and very similar history, but one is hispanic and the other anglo-saxon. Why should we fiddle with the formula?

slickwillie2001 on February 11, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Slickwillie rocks

95% of what is useful in the world is because of western civilization

or more

yet it seems that the most successful has to observe the lesser

Sonosam on February 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM

No we don’t. We share the same culture. People may have a different heritage but we have the same culture. At least that’s how it should work in a healthy America. Multiculturalism elevates all cultures above American culture with the goal of dividing us and killing the American culture.

darwin on February 11, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Don’t be silly. Why do you think Chinatown exists? Little Italy? Etc. You think that was some weird accident?

Of course not, it’s our own form of multiculturalism. And it has been that way since the founding of our nation. People with different cultural backgrounds grouped together and their communities were different. With their own unique flavors.

Yes, overall they considered themselves Americans, but they still heavily identified with their heritage, which modified their viewpoints.

That is exactly how we became to be known as the “melting pot” of the world.

That’s why I specifically stated that we had our own version of multiculturalism.

ButterflyDragon on February 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM

karl9000 on February 11, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Proud Rino being utterly myopic and cherry-picking in his viewpoints? Say it ain’t so!

dmh0667 on February 11, 2011 at 5:15 PM

ButterflyDragon on February 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM

So all Chinese and Italians live in Chinatown and Little Italy?

You’re confusing culture and heritage. Sure, there may be small areas that seek to retain their homeland culture, but most immigrants adopt American culture while acknowledging their heritage.

At least that’s the way it used to be. Now we minimize America and her culture and teach immigrants that everything is superior to American culture.

darwin on February 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I became a naturalized American citizen long before “multiculturalism” and “multicultural diversity” came into vogue. America used to pride itself on being the “melting pot” wherein refugees (from something) from all over the world came to America to seek a better life, and whose parents’ dream was for their children to become fully assimilated into America….and be thus be “real” Americans (!) Indeed, the ultimate dream.

Immigrants would work at manual labor 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, but always went to class at night – to learn English. So they could begin to assimilate, but more importantly so they could pass the literacy test then required of all naturalized citizens. (Sounds quaint, doesn’t it?)

I think it was almost instinctively understood in those days that a common language was absolutely necessary in order to bind together a nation comprised of people whose ancestries had absolutely nothing in common.

We seem to have lost our way in this respect, haven’t we? I dare say we’ve surrendered it to “multiculturalism” and “multicultural diversity.”

alwyr on February 11, 2011 at 5:31 PM

That’s Europe for ya, a day late and a Euro short. They are the ones who have been pushing all this socialistic PC tolerence bull for years. It was fine for them to be progressive lefto as long as the U.S. was there to protect their rears. Ain’t looking so good in hindsight is it?

Done That on February 11, 2011 at 5:33 PM

So all Chinese and Italians live in Chinatown and Little Italy?

darwin on February 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Why do you think the Chinese Exclusion Act was passed? You really need to look at the history of those areas. They dealt with their communities on their own terms. Exacting justice in their manners and customs, forming organizations (some legal, some not) to uphold their cultures, etc.

ButterflyDragon on February 11, 2011 at 5:33 PM

It’s unanimous.

It’s too late.

galtg on February 11, 2011 at 6:06 PM

The way to bring down the winner is to put losers all around him and then demand they all be treated equally. That egalitarian/comunism thing.

Biodiversity is their other similar weapon – we are nothing but lowly animals – deny it and you’ll quickly be labelled a species-ist by the “word-control” freaks.

How to defeat them? Laugh at their absurdity right away before the glue dries on their politically-formed lies.

Don L on February 11, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Problem is we let every body in our country and it is a problem. By the way, I and many others I know will fight like h*** if they ever think about making Spanish the 1st language. How dare anyone even think we would let that happen. It is English and will stay English as 1st Language.

sheebe on February 11, 2011 at 9:10 PM

European nations have strong national characters and these will out as they have again and again throughout history. Radical Islam is a danger but Islam as a whole may well realize too late and to its regret that it has overplayed the tolerance hand. Europe itself can be quite vicious when it is of a mind to. The winds of change blow dangerously fickle over there. And they may again ….
Repressed passive anger can explode quite suddenly. I advise Islam to become a good citizen of Europe for its own good. What’s more I agree with toned down tolerance in Europe. Tolerate everything and you end up with nothing but a shambles…

Sherman1864 on February 12, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Hm. No. Can’t find a link to news on Luton riots (this year). I know because I have a nephew who lives there.

EDL versus Muslims, I think.

S. Weasel on February 11, 2011 at 2:04 PM

here

mauioriginal on February 12, 2011 at 12:39 PM

petunia on February 11, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Envy raised to the form of a perverse and perverted anti-morality is at the base of it.

Ernesto and collectivist filth like him hate the concepts of individual liberty and universal human dignity and essence, which is why they want the destruction of the classical (bourgeois) liberalism of the FF’s.

ebrown2 on February 12, 2011 at 12:53 PM

“I have a feeling there are about 10 different definitions of multiculturalism going on in this thread. Multiculturalism is not about saying American culture is inferior. It’s the idea that different cultures can live side-by-side within the same nation as equals.”

Correct, in the -freedom- that morally and intellectually self-castrated collectivist pigs HATE.

“The difference between America and the European nations is that the federal government never has and never will recognize multiculturalism as an official policy.”

ButterflyDragon on February 11, 2011 at 5:33 PM

It never has, which is why we are such a successfully prosperous and diverse culture. If O-filth like Ernesto have their way, we’ll have it as a mandated government policy and ethic conflict dialed up to 11 as a result.

ebrown2 on February 12, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Vashta.Nerada on February 11, 2011 at 3:47 PM

And yet in many European areas they set up cultural enclaves and did live according to their own legal system… partly because that was forced on them by their host nation and partly because that was the desire of their clerical leadership. Replace Islam with Amish and you can see that America has a long tradition of multiculturalism. I’m not sure how you can legislate against it within the bounds of our constitution.

lexhamfox on February 13, 2011 at 2:53 AM