Dick Cheney makes surprise appearance at CPAC event to honor Rumsfeld

posted at 7:00 pm on February 10, 2011 by John Sexton

A nice moment at CPAC…great to see Donald Rumsfeld and surprise guest Dick Cheney, looking fit and both in fine rhetorical form

Rumsfeld was here to receive the Defender of the Constitution award from the hosts of CPAC, and not surprisingly dedicated the award to the men and women serving in the armed forces, both past and present.

There was a little excitement when Cheney walked on stage. An individual who may have been a Ron Paul supporter (Rand Paul spoke about half an hour earlier in the same room) stood up and yelled “War criminal!” over the applause in the crowded conference room. Security immediately escorted him out of the room and the presentation continued.

Comments

Paultards have as much class, honor and thinking skills as their cult leader, which is to say zero.

jp on February 10, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I love Cheney!

And let me just say that the anti-semitism of some Paulians and the 9/11 truthiness of some Paulians is enough to turn me off. But yelling “war criminal” to these men in this venue is a line crossed.

myrenovations on February 10, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Did he run into Richard Dreyfuss and say “Here I am champ, go for it!!!”????

BigWyo on February 10, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Sit Down and Shut Up – Best Quote

Kini on February 10, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Ronulans tend to be the primary opportunities for the media to make the Tea Party look like kooks.

MadisonConservative on February 10, 2011 at 7:09 PM

stood up and yelled “War criminal!”

So much class. It’s amazing they don’t receive more respect from conservatives and Republicans at large.

amerpundit on February 10, 2011 at 7:09 PM

….stood up and yelled “War criminal!”

Oh, I guess Richard was in the audience.

BigWyo on February 10, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Me love Cheney

I would have had no problem with him as a CinC

I am thankful for his service and intellect which was second to few

Sonosam on February 10, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Good lord.

Way to make friends and influence people a-hole.

And here some righties are worried about them durn queers getting their gay cooties on everyone …laughable.

The Ugly American on February 10, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Just observing the events of today (Egypt, Clapper, Elmendorf), I’d give a nut (yes, one of those nuts) to have adults like these guys back in charge.

Obama administration = total clusterf*ck.

BuckeyeSam on February 10, 2011 at 7:13 PM

again, this is EXACTLY who Ron Paul and his Anarchist Movement are and what they believe.

They believed, 100% exact same thing about Reagan:

Ronald Reagan, Warmonger

by Murray N. Rothbard

^ Ron Paul’s intellectual hero wrote that in 1983, they have ALWAYS been allied with the Far-Left nuts, they are not conservatives they are Anarcho-Capitalist, philosophically Humanist and have 0 Business at CPAC!!!!

Note how in late 80′s Paul left Reagan’s GOP calling him a traitor for the LP to run for POTUS on CIA Drug conspiracies.

jp on February 10, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Any links to what Dick Cheney said?

thuja on February 10, 2011 at 7:15 PM

And the most played video tomorrow by MSM will be the “War Criminal” segment, way to to go idiot!

bluemarlin on February 10, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Instead of CPAC, it should be LPAC if groups like this are allowed in to takeover and act like far left nuts.

jp on February 10, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Is there video?

Bob's Kid on February 10, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Wish Cheney well.

I wish HE had been in charge from 2001 thru 1/20/2009.

But, he’s the past let’s move along please.

PappyD61 on February 10, 2011 at 7:23 PM

jp on February 10, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Ron Paul is chums with warmongers.

MadisonConservative on February 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Bob’s Kid on February 10, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Nice headline…

BigWyo on February 10, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Sorry for the OT, but FoxNews.com has a headline:
Dems, GOP Feud Over Who Is More Focused on Jobs

The people who are most focused on jobs are the ones cutting the most spending and taxes and regulation.

Cutting 32 or even a 100 billion should be easy for the Democrats to beat. They probably will and then pull the rug right out from the pathetic R party who will be outdone.

I have a feeling we’re going to have to primary some of the “tea party” freshmen along with more of the good ol’ boys.

FloatingRock on February 10, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Awesome!!

canopfor on February 10, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Nice headline…

BigWyo on February 10, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Bradfield said the moment showed that “half” of CPAC this year is libertarian, which means his side is winning in the civil war between “libertarians and right-wing conservatives.”

“We’re loud,” he said.

Truest words a Paultard ever spoke.

MadisonConservative on February 10, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Glad to hear there was only 1 paulnut behaving like a moonbat. This TPM report made it sound like a riot of paulnuts.

Buy Danish on February 10, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Allen West’s speach

Hope

Sonosam on February 10, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Nice headline…

BigWyo on February 10, 2011 at 7:27 PM

BigWyo:I love the line from Cheney to the heckler,

‘Alright sit down and shout up’!

canopfor on February 10, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Buy Danish on February 10, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Buy Danish:I wish Cheney would of added to his response
to the heckler…and go Boink yourself,haha!:)

canopfor on February 10, 2011 at 7:35 PM

“War criminal!”

Did Code Pink show up too or are they too busy in Egypt and Gaza?

Buy Danish on February 10, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Reason Magazine covers today’s CPAC

Spathi on February 10, 2011 at 7:38 PM

And in late 80s paul called reagan a Traitor left reagans GOP for LP

jp on February 10, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Big fan of Cheney and family. Would love to see Liz Cheney as the first female president of the US.

sherry on February 10, 2011 at 7:51 PM

“War criminal!”

Did Code Pink show up too or are they too busy in Egypt and Gaza?

Buy Danish on February 10, 2011 at 7:36 PM

It was a code pinko infiltrator. They can do two things at once. They have a full time schedule on whose job it is to follow both Cheney and Rumsfeld around. They would have one follow Bush around too but he does not get out that much.

tjexcite on February 10, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Video!Video!Video!Video!

Kaptain Amerika on February 10, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Paul was one of only 4 GOP congressman to back Reagan in 1976.

He never called Reagan a “traitor” though, but he did acknowledge that Reagan was a big government republican once he had power.

Spathi on February 10, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Buy Danish on February 10, 2011 at 7:30 PM

I clipped this out of the article:

But Team Paul — whose numbers appear to have grown at CPAC in 2011 — were not going to let that happen this time around.

Is it true that there are even more of these PaulPeople at CPAC than in 2010? They seem to come out of the woodwork. I ran into some of them out here in CA. Mainly Beach bums who can’t even surf.

Geochelone on February 10, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Hope

Sonosam on February 10, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Allen West does Rock…that there’s a man’s man….

BigWyo on February 10, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Love it. Great to see Cheney out and about. I have a Dick Cheney black velvet painting. It’s hanging above my desk as I type. One of my favorite possessions – gets some strange looks from houseguests though. :)

Missy on February 10, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I’m sure Bill Maher is just devastated over this treatment of the VP.

‘Cause Maher thinks it’s wrong to belittle public officials.

He’s just shocked at this.

SteveMG on February 10, 2011 at 7:57 PM

I will always love Cheney for telling Patrick Leahy to F off. That’s how you deal with democrats.

SouthernGent on February 10, 2011 at 7:59 PM

I never really understood why Rumsfeld was targeted for ousting.

His non committal to the surge in Iraq?

The months after 9/11 he seemed to me to be informative and re-assuring.

Oh well.

BowHuntingTexas on February 10, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Archived Video of CPAC 2011 Speeches

canopfor on February 10, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Geochelone on February 10, 2011 at 7:54 PM

They remind me of the Lyndon Larouche people with their Obama is Hitler posters who end up smearing conservatives. One I can’t help but wonder if some aren’t lefty plants posing as PaulNuts.

Buy Danish on February 10, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Spathi on February 10, 2011 at 7:53 PM

and of course he’s totally 100% in odds over Foreign Policy and brand of Economic policy and domestic in general.

jp on February 10, 2011 at 8:21 PM

link? the cpac archive isn’t working for me.

seesalrun on February 10, 2011 at 8:21 PM

MR. RUSSERT: You’re running as a Republican. In your–on your Web site, in your brochures, you make this claim: “Principled Leadership. Ron was also one of only four Republican Congressmen to endorse Ronald Reagan for president against Gerald Ford in” ’76. There’s a photograph of you, Ronald Reagan on the right, heralding your support of Ronald Reagan. And yet you divorced yourself from Ronald Reagan. You said this: “Although he was once an ardent supporter of President Reagan, Paul now speaks of him as a traitor leading the country into debt and conflicts around the world. “I want to totally disassociate myself from the Reagan Administration.” And you go on to The Dallas Morning News: “Paul now calls Reagan a `dramatic failure.’”

jp on February 10, 2011 at 8:22 PM

link? the cpac archive isn’t working for me.

seesalrun on February 10, 2011 at 8:21 PM

seesalrun:Try this!
=======================

Conservatives Meet in Washington for CPAC
Washington, DC
Thursday, February 10, 2011

canopfor on February 10, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Ron Paul is a nutcase….

Xango Annie on February 10, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Methinks there may be some Code Pinkos or other assorted Axelturfers masquerading as Ronulans at this event. It would be pretty easy to do, and very effective as they know the MSM is dying to run the “conservatives attack Cheney” story.

We really need a Breitbart to get to the bottom of this!

rockmom on February 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Archived Video of CPAC 2011 Speeches

canopfor on February 10, 2011 at 8:04 PM

had to log in but well worth it.

seesalrun on February 10, 2011 at 9:12 PM

jp on February 10, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Exactly!! They tend to be a bunch of racists too.

Ron Paul is chums with warmongers.

MadisonConservative on February 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM

He also chums with known white supremacist named Don Black and even accepted a campaign check from him.

Conservative Samizdat on February 10, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Lately it’s difficult to separate the Libertarians from Liberals. It appears they both play from the same book…

Hobbes on February 10, 2011 at 9:28 PM

rockmom on February 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Buy Danish on February 10, 2011 at 9:34 PM

PaulBots are only claiming to be on the Right I think because in High School they proved to socially inept even for the Socialist fellow traveler club. These are guys who were rejected by everyone. Frankly I suspect that their claims of autonomy and manly independence are less motivated by a civilized respect for the liberties of others that would earn admiration and respect than compensation for their isolation and ahem inadequacy. Perhaps they go into chat rooms and impress people with their rugged character playing swords and pirates games.

LifeofTheMind on February 10, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Perhaps but I think they really do hate government. Not the stoner types. E.g., Justin Raimondo who supported Dennis Kucinich (yeah, a libertarian supporting Kucinich? Please). But the older generation (more than 30).

They view just about every law or regulation as oppressive and evil. Read Murray Rothbard for example.

SteveMG on February 10, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Good to see Cheney looking stronger. *sigh*

LASue on February 10, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Conservative Samizdat on February 10, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Over on the RP thread I mentioned the Stormfront endorsement-which prompted an…interesting response.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Buy Danish on February 10, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Little me almost came to blows with a LaRouchie at the DC 9/12 rally in September. I was following them…like a shawdow.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 10:06 PM

So can we make jokes about this still since the argument has been raging the last few days? Cause this one just writes itself.

GO DICK! SOPROUD!

bluemarlin on February 10, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Can someone here give me the full story on the Valerie Plame case…

I just finished watching Fair Game and I want to filter out the truth from fiction….

TimeTraveler on February 10, 2011 at 10:25 PM

I love Cheney. When Cheney was VP I slept like a baby. I knew wholeheartedly everything that could be done to keep the United States safe was being done, damn the bleeding hearts and beta males, and the stuff we never heard about was handled with stealth and strength.

Sigh.

ace tomato on February 10, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Can someone here give me the full story on the Valerie Plame case…

TimeTraveler on February 10, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Did the name ‘Richard Armitage’ come up at least once in the movie?

slickwillie2001 on February 10, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Leaking an agent’s name is as low as it gets…..What’s the other side of the story.

Sorry, I was too busy at pre K when this all went down.

TimeTraveler on February 10, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Sorry, I was too busy at pre K when this all went down.

TimeTraveler on February 10, 2011 at 10:31 PM

She was not a covert agent and not subject to the rules that apply to said covert agents. The leaker was Richard Armitage in teh State Department who was a Clinton hold over. Fitzgerald knew Armitage was the person who put her name out there, with in a week I think, and he continued on to questions others. Scooter did not go to jail for leaking any covert information, he went to jail for not remembering what he said (perjury)about a crime that was not committed.

bluemarlin on February 10, 2011 at 10:42 PM

bluemarlin on February 10, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Excellent summary.

Missy on February 11, 2011 at 12:03 AM

I like how the Paulbots are extremely quiet.

If only they would stay this quiet all the time.

Conservative Samizdat on February 11, 2011 at 12:17 AM

SteveMG on February 10, 2011 at 9:46 PM

In fairness, how many examples are there right now where this statement isn’t true? lol

I’ll say this.

I AM a Ron Paul supporter. I agree more with him than I do most any politician currently holding public office. I’m baffled as to what within Donald Rumsfeld’s job description as Defense Secretary would have even allowed him the opportunity to win the award he did. I also think it’s beyond time to figure out what the hell we’re doing with our foreign policy and military missions halfway around the world.

But some donk screaming nonsense like this at a public forum does nothing to help bridge the rather small gap between conservatives and right-leaning libertarians.

I guess I ask this of you here who don’t have libertarian leanings. You don’t like it (and you shouldn’t, and I don’t blame you) when the left takes one example of one idiot from your part of the ideological spectrum to indict the entire conservative ideology. Don’t do it to us who support Paul and have libertarian leanings.

Wackos abound everywhere.

Badger State Dave on February 11, 2011 at 5:37 AM

rockmom on February 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM

They identical in mindset. How would you be able to tell?

hawkdriver on February 11, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Don’t do it to us who support Paul and have libertarian leanings.

Wackos abound everywhere.

Badger State Dave on February 11, 2011 at 5:37 AM

Of all my political uncertainties insofar of who I’ll be supporting in 2012, the one thing I know for a fact is I won’t vote at all for the top of the ticket if Ron Paul is on it. He hates his military and would be a disaster as CinC.

hawkdriver on February 11, 2011 at 11:35 AM