CPAC interview: Richard Dreyfuss

posted at 4:45 pm on February 10, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

If I had to guess which Hollywood film star I’d be interviewing at CPAC, I’d say that the name Richard Dreyfuss would have been rather far down the list. Dreyfuss came to CPAC in an effort to promote his non-profit project, the Dryefuss Initiative, which pushes for greater emphasis on civics instruction in primary school, as well as greater civility in politics. We mainly focused on the former, however, and Dreyfuss ends up arguing — ironically — for American exceptionalism. We both agree on the need for civics, and I bring up the Intercollegiate Studies survey results on the outcome of American education in that area:

I didn’t ask about Dreyfuss’ earlier expressed desire for the death of Dick Cheney in regards to his new push for civility, mainly because Jamie Allman did — and Dreyfuss apologized, saying, “I was wrong”:

Guy Benson interviewed Dreyfuss, too — check on Townhall later for his questions on civility.

Comments

Now there’s a dude I never thought I’d see at CPAC. Once upon a time he was a really good actor. I don’t even think it’s his politics that turned me off to his career. He just started making some really bad movies.

Doughboy on February 10, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Land shark…

Gohawgs on February 10, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Whoa.

Gonna have to watch this when I get home. Given his reputation as a die-hard lib, is age finally bestowing wisdom?

MadisonConservative on February 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Doughboy on February 10, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Come on. He gave the best evil Republican performance I’ve ever seen in The American President.

MadisonConservative on February 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Conservative…? You cannot be serious.

d1carter on February 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM

What about Bob?

ConservativePartyNow on February 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I welcome his call for the return of Civics to schools across America…

Gohawgs on February 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Dude.

amerpundit on February 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM

MadisonConservative on February 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I blame Aaron Sorkin for that one. Dude hates Republicans and everything they stand for. Even his non-political screenplays manage to get in a few digs at the right. Dreyfuss just showed up and read his lines.

Doughboy on February 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Doctor…..Leo……Marvin……

portlandon on February 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM

This should have a unexpected occurence tag.

di butler on February 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Dreyfuss is a Hollywood ultra-leftist, that he feels comfortable at CPAC is telling.

Rebar on February 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM

If Dreyfuss’ politics get under your skin, read this. I can’t come up with someone writing something classier.

Cam Winston on February 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

TRANSCRIPT:
(Ed) Remember in Jaws…when you were examining the boat under water…and when you looked through a hole in the boat and a dead man’s head scared you? (pause) That was awesome!

(Dreyfuss) Yes. Yes I do.

WashJeff on February 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

NSFW!

Akzed on February 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Dreyfuss sounds like he may have had a few too many at the luncheon.

cynccook on February 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Whoa.

MadisonConservative on February 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM

What about Bob?

ConservativePartyNow on February 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Baby steps?

dookphan on February 10, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Cam Winston on February 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Double whoa.

Indeed, truly classy, especially given that nearly all the sentiments on the left were the polar opposite.

MadisonConservative on February 10, 2011 at 5:03 PM

WashJeff on February 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I have to laugh, in my van down by the river..

Gohawgs on February 10, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Dryfus could play the Hobbit without any special affects.

RadioFreeUSA on February 10, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Doctor…..Leo……Marvin……

portlandon on February 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM

LOL!! …..love it.

Good on him for apologizing.

That closes the book as far as I’m concerned.

The Ugly American on February 10, 2011 at 5:05 PM

TRANSCRIPT:

(Dreyfuss) Yes. Yes I do.

WashJeff on February 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Greatest film ever-even if Benchley’s premise for the book was flawed-a fact that he later regretted and tried to rectify.

One positive of the book is that things end for Hooper quite…differently…than they did in the film.
*Yeah-Sharks have taken over my brain. LoL*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 5:05 PM

TRANSCRIPT:

(Dreyfuss) Yes. Yes I do.

WashJeff on February 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

(Ed) Remember when you were in Seinfeld?

(Dreyfuss) Actually that was Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

(Ed) Oh yeah. [hits himself on head] God dang it! What an idiot!

Doughboy on February 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Check out the Roger Simon interview with Dreyfuss on PJTV. Good, passionate constitutionalism.

pugwriter on February 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Hmm…

Whenever I’ve seen him interviewed about his program, I got the distinct impression he wants civics taught in schools so kids wouldn’t end up being ignorant like Republicans. Maybe I misread him, I don’t know.

MayBee on February 10, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Doughboy on February 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Aaron Sorkin, the drug-addled ex-con?

Ward Cleaver on February 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM

PJTV link of Dreyfuss.

pugwriter on February 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I welcome his call for the return of Civics to schools across America…

Gohawgs on February 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Depends. Is he in favor of actually teaching FACTS and TRUE HISTORY or having union propagandizers poisoning the next generation by peddling more pc bs?

oldleprechaun on February 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM

(Ed) Remember when you were in Seinfeld?

(Dreyfuss) Actually that was Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

(Ed) Oh yeah. [hits himself on head] God dang it! What an idiot!

Doughboy on February 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM

(Ed) Oh Sorry! How is your wife? Does she miss Seinfeld?

WashJeff on February 10, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I always get disappointed to see actors I like (or liked ) spew leftist hate but I do appreciate that he has apologized for the Cheney remark…good for him…

CCRWM on February 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM

No you didn’t misread him, that’ s exactly what this is. With the added bonus to stroke the liberals need to be better then you.

lowandslow on February 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Aaron Sorkin, the drug-addled ex-con?

Ward Cleaver on February 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM

That’s the one. He’s got talent. You don’t win that many Emmys(not to mention an Oscar later this month) without it. I just can’t stand his condescending tone in his work. That and frankly the walking and talking style of his writing is actually kind of tiresome. I love his monologues though. Jack on the stand in A Few Good Men. Alec Baldwin’s “I AM God!” speech in Malice. Martin Sheen explaining to his younger daughter in The Left Wing what were to happen to the country if she got abducted. He’s one of the best when it comes to that.

Doughboy on February 10, 2011 at 5:14 PM

oldleprechaun on February 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Regardless, it may keep people like Schumer from not knowing the 3 branches of gov’t…

Gohawgs on February 10, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Mr. Holland’s CPAC?

Kafir on February 10, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Cam Winston on February 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Very classy indeed.

tickleddragon on February 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM

MayBee on February 10, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Well, I kinda agree. Is he promoting a free and critical thinking individual or a collective?

If in the course of teaching civics he strives to promote the truth, then his cause is noble. The truth is neither bad or good, it’s simply the truth.

darwin on February 10, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Cam Winston on February 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

That was one of the classiest articles I’ve read in a while. Reading it, it sounds like Dreyfuss, but it seems completely incongruous with everything else I’ve ever heard about him.

JSGreg3 on February 10, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Civility is just a liberal code word for “conservatives shut up.”

Fred 2 on February 10, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I don’t care about his politics and I don’t care for his politics.

However, Dreyfuss is (was?) an frigging AWESOME actor.

He, and a few others, should have gotten two Oscars each just for JAWS.

As an actor, he’s got a gold medal or two.

(toss it off with “Shut up and sing?”.)

BowHuntingTexas on February 10, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Ed, you have more guts that I do. My skin would crawl knowing I was anywhere near that nutcase.

Yeah, he can sound somewhat intelligent at times, but 99% of the time he’s off in some fantasy world of his own making.

ButterflyDragon on February 10, 2011 at 5:25 PM

CCRWM on February 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Meh…he’s behind enemy lines begging for money. How else is he gonna act??

BigWyo on February 10, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Man, Bartles and Jaymes sure have changed.

The Lone Platypus on February 10, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Is Dreyfuss drunk?

IronDioPriest on February 10, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Dryfuss Is he still alive…?

Kuffar on February 10, 2011 at 5:31 PM

[Ed] Tell us a little about the initiative and why you are here at CPAC to talk to us about that

[Dick Richard] Civics is one of those issues that has no true opposition, it’s something that should be taught to all of our young, whether they be, whether they end up being liberal or conservative is irrelevant.

Mainly, though, I’m confident that if our liberal, pro-union-biased teachers can get their hands on those soft, mushy, malleable little brains and cram our socialist agenda down their throats, the vast majority of those kids will wind up full-fledged, tin hat wearing, liberals.

Hic!!

pain train on February 10, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I welcome his call for the return of Civics to schools across America…

As do I, but I’d really like to see conservatives teaching those Civics classes. If I had a load o’ money I’d start a foundation to encourage and support conservatives going into education–as teachers, as administrators, counselors, psychologists, etc.

Bob's Kid on February 10, 2011 at 5:39 PM

*Yeah-Sharks have taken over my brain. LoL*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I watched a documentary of the making of Jaws.

The reason they changed Hoopers fate in the movie as opposed to the book: Dreyfus’s underwater double was injured during filming of the scene when the shark attacks the cage underwater. To finish the footage, they had to bring in another diver who was much taller than Dreyfus and built different physically. They noticed the difference in post-production and decided to re-shoot, and ended up with the shot of Hooper surviving.

catmman on February 10, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Dreyfuss went from Mr. Holland’s Opus to Opus.

Fallon on February 10, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Civility is just a liberal code word for “conservatives shut up.”

Fred 2 on February 10, 2011 at 5:23 PM

And we have a winner!

Western_Civ on February 10, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Sean Penn wasn’t interested?

Cicero43 on February 10, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Such a nice article about Mr. Heston. I wonder if he has ever given a thought that most conservative people are genuinely nice or just those who have given him pleasure through the gift of acting? The apology about the V.P. Cheney remark was nice but he might want to give some consideration about why he thought it was not only an acceptable thing to say in the first place but to have the thought even enter his brain. He is a very gifted actor.

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2011 at 5:47 PM

He was either drunk or high…pathetic.

mathscience41 on February 10, 2011 at 6:08 PM

He doesn’t want civics, he wants mandatory lefty indoctrination. That he would attend cpac, is more proof that cpac is not all that. Blech.

Blake on February 10, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Dreyfuss sounds like he may have had a few too many at the luncheon. – cynccook on February 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Is Dreyfuss drunk? – IronDioPriest on February 10, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Michelle Bachmann’s fault!

(She was picking up all the attendees’ bar tabs today.
As a committed lib, he probably figured it was his civic duty to try to deplete her bank account.)

leilani on February 10, 2011 at 6:15 PM

A decent human being, foolish, but still decent.

I wish him all the best, I’d never get sick in his presence, even though his positions make me sick. He just seems decent and that apology was more manly than anything Hollywood’s men have done in the last 20 years.

Tim Burton on February 10, 2011 at 6:29 PM

WashJeff on February 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

LOLs. Chris Farley/ Paul McCartney/ SNL ref.

Paul-Cincy on February 10, 2011 at 6:39 PM

He’s had a long history of drug and alcohol problems including DUIs.

Decent? He’s decent like Ed Asner. Bwahhhhhhhhh!

Blake on February 10, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Couldn’t stand it anymore after about 45 seconds. Anyone who seems to be bored with his own initiative is not going to get my attention. When he talks of “civics” he probably means we need more liberal indoctrination in schools.

echosyst on February 10, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Wow. Mr. Dreyfuss exhibits some particularly odd traits (including repetitive wiping of his nose) that detract from his main point which is… what? His version of “civics” ought to be taught because the propagation of values in public education in the form of “faith” in something beyond ourselves are prohibited? He appears to find a problem while missing a perfectly reasonable (to many) solution, whether or not intentionally.

chaswv on February 10, 2011 at 6:48 PM

At the very least, Dreyfuss isn’t standing at a chalkboard instructing students or other observers about social justice and how to go about extorting money from branch offices of banks…as the guy currently occupying our White House.

BuckeyeSam on February 10, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Dreyfuss – another hypocrite heard from.

GarandFan on February 10, 2011 at 6:54 PM

BuckeyeSam on February 10, 2011 at 6:51 PM

You mean as far as you know he isn’t. Dreyfuss and his sister are very very leftwing and very very rich. They fund numerous leftard foundations.

Blake on February 10, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Blake on February 10, 2011 at 7:00 PM

See the interview on PJTV.

gh on February 10, 2011 at 7:08 PM

gh on February 10, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I don’t take homework assignments.

Blake on February 10, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Dreyfuss is a Liberal hack-Maybe he should practice what he preaches…Calling for the death of VP Cheney is beyond what I can write on this post…..

hawkman on February 10, 2011 at 7:20 PM

I have heard Dreyfuss speak live on two occasions at leftard conventions that I had to attend due to my job. Each time, he made nasty remarks towards anyone who wasn’t extreme left of center. He is not a civil man and for him to demand civility from others is a joke.

Blake on February 10, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Blake

Maybe

He

Has

Changed

hahahahaaha

CWforFreedom on February 10, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Most liberals don’t expose themselves at all to conservative milieus, which is one reason they have such outlandish stereotypes about us. So props to Dreyfuss for at least venturing into the lion’s den, as it were. Maybe some of it’ll rub off on him, or at least he’ll return to his home turf bearing the news that conservatives don’t have fangs and eat babies.

YehuditTX on February 10, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Dreyfuss sounds like he may have had a few too many at the luncheon.

cynccook on February 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM

…I hope that’s all it is…partying with the conservatives….

…funny…I don’t think of CPAC and think of partying…”party”, yes…partying, no….

…there’re folks here (and elsewhere) who’ll make it a point to mention his politics first. Fair enough…he’s been pretty plain in the past, and people have good memories, and take him at his word.

…seems that where he’s stepped over his own established line, as in the Cheney statement, and been called on it, it seems that he’s apologized. Many out there, when called on their excesses, seem to either get all weaselly or even more strident. He apologized…in one instance, at least….

…all of that notwithstanding….

…what he proposes is noble. Full stop. Noble. Practical, reasoned and noble.

…you wouldn’t step onto a diamond, bat in hand, and expect to make a contribution to your team if you didn’t know the rules of the game….

…so too, expecting that democracy means “everybody gets a pony for Christmas, and nobody’s allowed to disagree with you” isn’t democracy…and a proper grounding in civics, along with a basic commitment to civil discourse, allowing courtesy to grease the skids, reinforces democracy.

Democracy thrives on discourse and compromise, and how do you have an exchange with someone whose ideas of how the country is organized and run is selfishly childish? How do you compromise with someone you feel is an agent of the Devil?

…so, hurrah for Mr. D. Good on ‘im. So long as spin is avoided when shaping students’ reasoning skills (a possible pitfall), then I wish him every success…I, for one, will watch and wait….

…but, he did sound as if he’d been “over-served”…having a nice CPAC day, no doubt….

Puritan1648 on February 10, 2011 at 7:45 PM

If he apologizes for anything, it should be for ‘Krippendorf’s Tribe.’

snickelfritz on February 10, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Love the acting ability. Goodbye Girl is one of my ultimate faves.
But I don’t trust him as far as I can spit.

Badger40 on February 10, 2011 at 7:58 PM

YehuditTX on February 10, 2011 at 7:40 PM

No, if true to form, he’ll go back to speaking to leftard groups with more anecdotal stories about how cruel and heartless conservatives are. That’s what he does.

Blake on February 10, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Aren’t the kids brainwashed enough already?

roninacreage on February 10, 2011 at 8:11 PM

What does Dreyfuss know about any of this???

He’s pretty much proved himself a vacuous left-wing ignoramus throughout his entire life.

IMHO: It is a complete waste of time to interview someone like Dreyfuss about any serious subject.

landlines on February 10, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Good interview, Ed.

Dreyfuss seems to have honorable intentions, then, as liberals do, tends drift toward class warfare and social justice.

I suggest mister Dreyfuss educate himself to understand where the heel of that boot on the throat of the downtrodden belongs to.

Define Freedom Richard. Define it, then explain why people really leave the countries they lived in to come here, and you will find that the far left is scrambling to install the same things millions fled, here in the greatest country ever created.

cntrlfrk on February 10, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Bob Wiley(Murray): What are we doing?
Dr. Leo Marvin(Dryefuss): Death Therapy, Bob. It’s a guaranteed cure.

shick on February 10, 2011 at 9:01 PM

OMG, Dryefuss is such an ass. Is he on drugs or something? What an idiot! I could not have sat still for that interview.

What an absolute ASS. Can you hear the condescension in his voice? He doesn’t even try to hide it. Ugh, I just lost 10 brain cells listening to his monotone self-superior voice.

And then he’s going to lecture us on CIVILITY after wishing Dick Cheney dead! What a complete moron!

Amy Proctor on February 10, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Drenches is kind of like the John McEnroe of the world of Hollywood political activists — calm at times, but tightly wound and who in the heat of battle can go off script at times and say things he regrets later.

The positive thing is he actually has the capacity for self-reflection and regret. Without it, he’d simply be a more talented version of Bill Maher.

jon1979 on February 10, 2011 at 10:26 PM

My take from dreyfuss’ interviews: 1)He’s drunk or on drugs, 2) He’s laughin all the way to the bank from takin conservative’s $ for his “cause” to use against them 3) he really does think he’s an “intellect” or he spoke so slow because he was terribly afraid to let his mask slip. Just sayin….contribute at your own risk. It’ll be very interesting to see what civil things he has to say when CPAC is over!

conmo on February 10, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Our Schools are ran by Liberal’s and the Conservatives hide in the shadows. That is why Civic’s are not taught in school. Doesn’t Dryefuss know this? I cannot stand him at all and it is odd seeing a Liberal at a CPAC is crazy. He doesn’t act right guess he is OLD. Waiting for him to finish a sentence is making me want to go to sleep.

sheebe on February 10, 2011 at 11:37 PM

In the second clip, is it just me or is Dryefus drunk?

dthorny on February 11, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Too much big tent, not enough cowbell.

Why not invite those Code Pink gals?

Sure sign of a third party ascending. Conservatives and Republicans have totally lost their minds if they think I want to hear a single thing Richard Dreyfus has to say. CPAC is a mess.

Angry Dumbo on February 11, 2011 at 8:26 AM

At least he has the honor to admit he was wrong. He seems like one of those liberals who at least has beliefs and follows them. Unlike most liberals who blindly believe anything the Dems tell them.

jeffn21 on February 11, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Doctor…..Leo……Marvin……

portlandon on February 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM

“Okay Doctor M, I get it.”

“Your death therapy cured me, you genius!”

Greatest movie ever.

hawkdriver on February 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Angry Dumbo on February 11, 2011 at 8:26 AM

AS the Republican Party becomes more like the liberals in issue and policy, more left wings will be all to happy to guide us the rest of the way.

I’ve asked it before. All quite a few of us here have left is some burning desire to maintain fiscal responsibility? The supposed call for ignoring or outright abandoning of our conservative social issues really just means, we’ve sided with the lefts social issues.

hawkdriver on February 11, 2011 at 10:46 AM

The thing you have to accept about Richard Dreyfuss is this: He really is a good actor. He’s been in many bad movies, a few decent ones, and two great ones. But his best acting has never been on the screen. His best acting was trolling for kudos from the hated Right by writing the Heston Tribute. I remember an interview he did shortly after that, and if I could find it online I’d link it, but he wasn’t quite so “enthralled” by Ben Hur as his essay declares.

This is the same thing he’s doing at CPAC. He’s trolling for commonality which can be exploited to pull people leftward in his wake. (Hmm, an almost not-mixed metaphor, sorry) It’s an act. He’s saying someone else’s words and pretending their his own. Of course someone his age would be believed for having a passion for the Constitution. But all I see is that he has studied his lines well.

hawkdriver on February 11, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Indeed. As I commented on another thread last night, it’s time to call out the “fiscal conservatives” as squishy McCain types. No social conscious, no fixed values, but a superficial agreement with capitalism. And when in office, these types cave in to the left with the slightest pressure. Fiscal issues are NOT what ignited the Tea Party, and they are not what will sustain it. Conscience first, Constitution second, everything else after.

Freelancer on February 11, 2011 at 1:02 PM

PIMF.

and pretending their they’re his own.

Freelancer on February 11, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I agree with Dreyfuss about more emphasis on civics…and American History, not the cliff notes but the real deal. I don’t think that either should wait to be taught until Senior year of high school.

How many times have I heard Actors, and Movie Stars, and Celebrities say something and not apologize? A whole bunch just take a look at Bill Maher’s record. Richard Dreyfuss’s apology goes along way with me, he is walking the talk.

America is an exceptional country. Our different back grounds are our strengths not our weaknesses. The Dinosaur Media has tried to push political correctness on us with diminishing results. Instead of pandering to protected classes of people – why don’t we go with the Declaration of Independence…All men are created equal. We know that means “People” there is no need to parse the lack of gender identification – which brings me back to my point – there would be less resentment, and incivility in this country if people recognized they get to be equal – not more than equal.

As far as the coarse political discourse goes, I’m in Jon Stewart’s camp. It’s part of our American Heritage to shoot spit balls at each other. It’s fun to be loud and opinionated. In the case of Dick Cheney and Sarah Palin’s toddler son Trig, being called some ugly names, and some people on the Left saying neither have a right to be living...well that’s about boundaries isn’t it?

I am sure Mr Dreyfuss is familiar how eugenics worked out in Hitler’s Germany.

Desire to terminate inferior races grew out of book entitled “The Permission to Destroy Life Unworthy of Life” written by Alfred Ploetz and published in 1904. Ploetz argued that certain classes of humans were unworthy and should be terminated. Classes included homosexuals, mentally retarded and those who are “below the beasts.” Nazis later classified Jews as “sub-human”.

The stereotypes of Conservatives and Liberals, that the Media has foisted on the American population needs to be altered some texture added. We are all more than one dimensional caricatures.

Dr Evil on February 11, 2011 at 2:13 PM