Are you ready for … President The Donald?

posted at 12:50 pm on February 10, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

If you thought the 2008 presidential cycle was predicated on celebrity, well, how about a candidate who had a ratings hit by making people unemployed?

Rumored presidential candidate Donald Trump will make a surprise visit to the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington today.  He plans to address the convention in the afternoon. The decision to attend CPAC was pushed by Trump’s longtime political advisor Roger Stone, and indicates the billionaire real estate mogul is becoming serious about seeking the Republican nomination for president next year.

Trump has been hinting at his desire to run for months.  “For the first time in my life, I am absolutely thinking about it,” he told MSNBC in October.  According to Newsmax, Trump is “telling friends he has decided he will definitely run.”  And although he denied any involvement when someone began mysteriously polling New Hampshire residents about their thoughts on a Trump campaign, he still made sure to tell Fox News that he heard the results were “amazing.”

Somehow, I don’t see The Donald as the man to unite the clans:

Although he accepted GOProud’s invitation, the twice-divorced Trump also appears to be trying to improve his image among social conservatives. Trump, who stated that he was pro-choice when he mulled a run for president in 2000, told popular conservative radio host Laura Ingraham on Wednesday that he is, in fact, pro-life. “Oh, you didn’t know that?” Trump asked a surprised Ingraham, despite an abundance of news stories that refer to his pro-choice views.

There has also been talk of a grassroots effort to Draft Trump, although so far the loudest voice calling for The Donald to run seems to be on his payroll. Michael Cohen, an executive vice resident at the Trump Organization, is also the proprietor of a website which encourages his boss to run for the presidency.  “I am, like so many people, truly hoping Mr. Trump elects to run for president,” Cohen told Politico earlier this month.  “I have the honor of working for the Trump Organization and knowing Mr. Trump as an individual. He would make a first-rate president. He would change the playing field as far as where America stands in this global economy.”

Trump will speak today at 3 pm ET, assuming that the schedule doesn’t get too far off track.  From the limited reaction I’ve seen around CPAC, he will have to overcome considerable skepticism to be taken seriously as a presidential candidate.  He has a long track record of success in the business world, but his political and personal track record doesn’t exactly promise a smooth ride.  Doing oppo research on a real-estate tycoon shouldn’t be that hard, right?  How many toes has Trump stomped to become a multi-billionaire?

His economic prowess will, however, give Republicans a solid voice in demolishing the pretenses of Obamanomics over the next year — and let’s face it, a Trump candidacy won’t cost other candidates any donations, since he’s likely to use his own money in the short term.  It also promises to make 2011 somewhat more entertaining than it might otherwise be.  But how long before the GOP tells Trump, “You’re fired”?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Donald Trump is an extremely successful American businessman who obviously believes in capitalism and free enterprise. He has the charisma and the likeability to beat Obama.

Let’s hear what he has to say before we dismiss him out of hand.

RUDYJ on February 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Crony Capitalism. I haven’t heard the man talk about free trade that much. In fact, isn’t he talking about taxing Chinese imports?

From what I know, he represents everything that’s wrong with the so called “fiscal conservatives”

MeatHeadinCA on February 10, 2011 at 1:42 PM

BTW, Herman Cain sounds a lot more like a capitalists than Trump.

MeatHeadinCA on February 10, 2011 at 1:43 PM

pug writer on February 10, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I got my copy of The Soul of Battle by Victor Davis Hansen today.

Thanks for the reference.

Geochelone on February 10, 2011 at 1:46 PM

This is pretty funny.

So far, Donald Trump’s sole and only successful enterpreneurial skill has been to outlive his father. When Fred Trump died he was worth $400 million.

Fallon on February 10, 2011 at 1:46 PM

WHOAH! Beat me to it!

gary4205 on February 10, 2011 at 1:19 PM
Branded a Palinbot in 1..2..3..

Get real people.
I love Palin. I’m not a Palinbot.
The reason I think she probably can’t win is bcs of the good old boy establishment, mysoginist butt-heads, & those too willing to listen to gossip to really get to know her.
Is she another Reagan?
But she is inspired by him.
And I believe she is quite capable.

Badger40 on February 10, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Interesting. It seems I misjudged you.

So you think standing up for what you believe in, is an “obsession” even when others are lying about and smearing that person or thing? gotcha.

I was answering the clown that said Palin had “never signed a paycheck”

As far as her chances of winning, she’s already won the nomination. You got no one else even worth talking about running.

Huckabee isn’t gonna run, Romney is a JOKE, and the rest aren’t even capable of being POTUS, and that’s a fact.

As far as beating Obama, it will be tough because the media will provide great cover, and attack relentlessly, but they will do that no matter who we nominate.

Palin is the only one who has PROVEN that she can not only stand up to the attacks, but fight back like no one we have ever seen.

Is she Reagan, no. There was only one Ronald Reagan. But his spirit runs through her. She’s the only one who has consistently carried his mantle throughout her entire political career.

She’s the only one who can beat Obama, I’ll tell ya that.

gary4205 on February 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM

No. I don’t see the Donald as POTUS. Not now, not ever.

Urban Infidel on February 10, 2011 at 1:49 PM

For the love of God, somebody please kill that thing crawling on his head.

SKYFOX on February 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM

If I want a candidate who is big on business experience, I’d rather have Mitt Romney or Herman Cain.

I don’t want Donald Trump running for President.

Conservative Samizdat on February 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM

BTW, Herman Cain sounds a lot more like a capitalists than Trump.

MeatHeadinCA on February 10, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Of COURSE he does. he’s actually run a SUCCESSFUL enterprise too!

How anyone could get excited about Trump is beyond me.

gary4205 on February 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM

How anyone could get excited about Trump is beyond me.

gary4205 on February 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM

As SKYFOX points out, it’s his hair.

Seriously, though, Palin is somehow overexposed … but Trump, “Oh cool!”

Having Ron Paul run in the GOP primaries is less of a joke than Trump… Who’s next? Snooki?

MeatHeadinCA on February 10, 2011 at 1:52 PM

He’s got as slim a chance as Sarah in going all the way. But he is media savvy, incredibly entertaining and would force the others to show a little more candor when it comes to some issues.
I heard him on Hannity and I thought he was dead on about Iraq and how they should be giving us oil to pay for their liberation…..you hear any of the other safe candidates saying something like that?
At least I could find more than Obama’s ears and teleprompter malfunctions to laugh at.

crashman on February 10, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Bring him on……….the more the merrier.

PappyD61 on February 10, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Trump? Seriously? That should be fun.

antisocial on February 10, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Didn’t Trump go bankrupt a few times?

Count to 10 on February 10, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I’d listen to Trump and consider him a viable alternative to the mediocre candidates we may or may not have to choose from. Seeing as how none of them has quite gotten up the courage to say whether they’re running or not I don’t consider any of them real options. I don’t think declaring bankruptcy should really have anything to do with making a run for the office, it was a business decision. At least he’s run businesses, unlike the current occupant of the White House.

scalleywag on February 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Thanks, but I’ll stick with Obama…

Karmi on February 10, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Right! Just what we need. Another arrogant, narcisist, AH occupying the White House! The debates might be interesting, but that’s it. Two impersonators at each other.

tomshup on February 10, 2011 at 2:03 PM

He was CNN last night and fun hearing him talk of China as our enemy. He said his first act as President would be to impose a 25% tax on all imports from China to get them to adjust their currency and quit manipulating it.

albill on February 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Political donations from Donald Trump:

Includes: Hillary, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, Arlen Specter, Biden, Reid, Chris Dodd, Patrick Kennedy, Harold Ford Jr., Rangel, Charlie Crist (in the last election when he was running against Rubio), Weiner, Schumer, McCain, Ted Kennedy, etc…

Ummm… Really? We can’t do better than someone who contributes oodles of money to liberal democrats and is a professed fan of Hillary Clinton???

If we are going to settle for a squish because he is a businessman, then why not Romney? How about we don’t settle, and we actually elect a conservative like Herman Cain, Allen West, Bobby Jindal or someone else with some conservative creds. Trump is even worse than Romney or Huckabee. God help us if a liberal is the best the republicans can come up with in this election.

squeek71 on February 10, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Thanks, but I’ll stick with Obama…

Karmi on February 10, 2011 at 2:02 PM

The “stuck on stupid” demo weighs in?

trapeze on February 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Interesting. It seems I misjudged you.

I was answering the clown that said Palin had “never signed a paycheck”

She’s the only one who can beat Obama, I’ll tell ya that.

gary4205 on February 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I will give you some time to think about this before I go nuclear, bcs I don’t want really want to go nuclear on you. I like you.
When I said: WHOAH! Beat me to it. I MEANT whoah, somebody is already smearing you as a Palinbot before I made the prediction that someone was going to smear you.
I do not subscribe to this Palinbot, Mittens etc. crap that people spew when one of us indicates we really like one of these people.
So it is unfortunate you misunderstood my comment.

Badger40 on February 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I’m so sick of hearing about how Trump is a successful businessman. He was left a fortune by his father then went bankrupt. Then got bailed out by banks. Then got a TV show.

WOW!!

angryed on February 10, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Thanks, but I’ll stick with Obama…

Karmi on February 10, 2011 at 2:02 PM

This is your answer to the question:

Will you vote for _____________________? Doesn’t matter what name is in the blank.

Nice try.

angryed on February 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM

As compared to what is in the WH now, and the normal crony roster of Republicans, I’m not going to write Trump off at this point. He’s got attributes that I like; he is an ACTUAL savvy businessman, he knows how to say NO, he understands world business/economic trends, and he knows how to surround himself with people that are truly best for the job. Lastly, I don’t care about his personal life and what’s happened in the past. Look at the clowns that have been caught red-handed while pretending to be upstanding! Edwards, Rangel, Gore….

msmystery on February 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM

She’s the only one who can beat Obama, I’ll tell ya that.

gary4205 on February 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Repeating the same talking points on every thread, related or unrelated, will make it true.

You-Eh-Vee on February 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Anyone else think that the influence of Americal Idol is what allowed the Bamster to become president? How else to explain the lack of seriousness in elections today?

slickwillie2001 on February 10, 2011 at 2:14 PM

gary4205 on February 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM

You should note that I am in full agreement with you on Palin.
Except that I am pessimistic about her real chances of winning bcs people suck.

Badger40 on February 10, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I’ve liked him ever since he got outraged by the UN make-over.

r keller on February 10, 2011 at 2:18 PM

For the love of God, somebody please kill that thing crawling on his head.

SKYFOX on February 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Actually, I think its already dead. Can we get an official ruling from a roadkill expert?

dominigan on February 10, 2011 at 2:20 PM

You-Eh-Vee on February 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I’m curious, who do you support?

Badger40 on February 10, 2011 at 2:21 PM

squeek71 on February 10, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Absolutely! The RINOs are scared stupid and are throwing everyone at the wall, hoping someone… anyone… will stick and outlast she-who-will-not-be-named…

dominigan on February 10, 2011 at 2:23 PM

He went bankrupt due to tax policies changed by politicians. I’m sure he remembers that and would strive to prevent such things.

fossten on February 10, 2011 at 1:15 PM

and other things. He also did a Chap 13 to “re-orgainze” due to mis-using of funds. And a divorce.

upinak on February 10, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Oh…don’t forget who the losers were in his bankruptcies. It wasn’t his money that got written off.

So how many bankruptcies shall we allow him (with the US Treasury money) before we say “crap….two bad POTUSs is a row.”

BobMbx on February 10, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Is she Reagan, no. There was only one Ronald Reagan. gary4205 on February 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I realize you were not being invidious here, but have we ever asked what qualities she has that Reagan did NOT have. That is, the analogy is always made unilaterally.

For example, Reagan was more of an establishment figure than we often realize. We exaggerate his “outsider” credentials. Yes, he was a westerner and non-elite, but he very much bought into the game the way it was played.

Palin is more of an authentic outsider — in background, experience, manners, attitude. As such, she shows an inclination to be far more skeptical or even radically unfriendly to failed establishment models of government.

She has more of a record of reform. She instituted actual reforms in Alaska. Did Reagan in California? Reagan diverted resources and took bold policy steps that led to strikingly different approaches to government, but did he really institute radical reform?

Reagan never actually dismantled a bureaucracy, did he? I think Palin would. For example, I believe Palin would actually close up the Dept. of Education. I also think she might shut down the Dept. of Homeland security. I even think she would call for wholesale firings at the State dept.

Reagan surrounded himself with Washington elites and insiders. I don’t think Palin would. I think Palin would import an entirely different, more rurally and broadly “American” style and type of public servant. This would have huge impact on our government and citizens alike.

I think this is why Palin is so feared by both the elite Left and Right. They sense she would really do the things conservatives only talk about doing.

rrpjr on February 10, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Ok anikol go vote for your pet Palin or one of the other morons ie, Hucksterbee, Romney, Newt, etc and throw the presidency to Obama. Pardon me for using the word “renown” maybe it wasn’t the most appropriate usage of the word at that time but you got my point.

BrianVII on February 10, 2011 at 2:30 PM

rrpjr on February 10, 2011 at 2:29 PM

You are right about Reagan.
He apptd this guy to the USDA, a neighbor of my small town area. This guy made quite a lot of $$ farming in a time when people were losing their a$$e$ after his appointment. It was a time of struggle that killed my husband’s father through heartache in losing the farm. In fact, his death is WHY we ranch. The life insurance $$ from his death saved the family farm for his sons.
I do not think it a coincidence that this neighbor made it big. Bcs before that, he wasn’t really doing much better than anyone else.
I have always lamented that Reagan went along with these farm program schemes.

Badger40 on February 10, 2011 at 2:40 PM

bankruptcy is not running a business.

upinak on February 10, 2011 at 12:57 PM

MeatHeadinCA on February 10, 2011 at 1:04 PM

HE never went bankrupt…his companies did and for a reason. His casinos here in Atlantic City have been bankrupt THREE TIMES ALREADY. And they are still in business. He does it for a reason.

NJ Red on February 10, 2011 at 2:49 PM

gary4205 on February 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Hopefully you have read my response to your false assumption regarding me.

Badger40 on February 10, 2011 at 2:50 PM

I’m curious, who do you support?

Badger40 on February 10, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Currently, not one GOP potential interests me one iota. However, if Ryan said he was running, I’d back him in a second. I also have tremendous respect for Bolton, but am realistic as to his chances of ever getting nominated.

In the previous nomination I backed Hunter, but those dreams were reduced to powder quite shortly.

You-Eh-Vee on February 10, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Basically we got a guy who uses other peoples money to buy his own popularity, waaaaaaiittt a minute, who am i speaking about here?

anikol on February 10, 2011 at 2:57 PM

The way I see it you’d be a chump to vote for Trump.

Hellrider on February 10, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Donald Trump … laughable.

HondaV65 on February 10, 2011 at 3:27 PM

No, I am not ready for Mr. Combover to be President.

molonlabe28 on February 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM

That tie is pretty awful.

He has his own mattress collection, why not be president? Based on the current occupant in the WH, there is no experience needed.

Hening on February 10, 2011 at 3:31 PM

You-Eh-Vee on February 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I admire you, but forget it, some people will walk the plank with their unelectable candidate simply because they agree with them.

crashman on February 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Then again, there is that compromising video of him feeling up Giuliani in a dress.
Some things cannot be unwatched.
tommylotto on February 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Then again, there are the videos of Obama’s pastor of 20 years spewing anti-American, Jew baiting bile to a roaring crowd and the subsequent refusal to “throw him under the bus” like granny in the Tingles race speech.
Some things cannot be unwatched.

crashman on February 10, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Dude, you gotta give Trump cred for calling it like it about Ron Paul in front of CPAC audience.

The man keeps it real.

Vincenzo on February 10, 2011 at 3:46 PM

3:45pm – Donald Trump to the CPAC Audience:
“oh by the way – Ron Paul cannot be elected POTUS”

The crowd went nuts. What stones.

jake-the-goose on February 10, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Trump has a real chance and I really see little real competition. The rest of the to run or not to run field does not impress. Yeah Trump is for free trade but he points out rightly that is not what we have with China by any means. I think he would make a tough president. And his views on illegal immigration are plain commonsense. I mean would you choose a McCain over this guy?? Listen to what he is saying and see what he says before you judge. I give him support for now and as long as he keeps this line. If he does not meet my expectations however he obviously goes under my bus….

Sherman1864 on February 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Think “Perez Hilton” The D’s ego is bigger than the O’s.

SANTA on February 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Are you ready for Smoot-Hawley ?

esblowfeld on February 10, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Think “Perez Hilton” The D’s ego is bigger than the O’s.

SANTA on February 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I would not think so. When Donald doodles on a pad does he draw pictures of himself like Bammie does?

slickwillie2001 on February 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM

You-Eh-Vee on February 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM
crashman on February 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Sensible people will walk the plank to the point their candidate runs out of luck. Once our democratic system weeds the unelectables out their supporters then switch to best closest electable thing. Your point above is really a non-starter to begin with. Besides wouldn’t we rather elect a candidate we agree with and not the reverse??

Sherman1864 on February 10, 2011 at 4:06 PM

You know, it occurred to me that with all the idiots and dolts and spotlight seekers lining up to run for the Republican nomination, even the left wing wackos will have to conclude that Sarah Palin really does have the most gravitas when compared to this lot.
She will end up looking like the most qualified, the most intelligent, the most accomplished, and the strongest conservative and most electable of the entire group.

PhilipJames on February 10, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I find that very…unlikely.

You-Eh-Vee on February 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM

However, if Ryan said he was running, I’d back him in a second.

AMEN!

msmystery on February 10, 2011 at 4:16 PM

gary4205 on February 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Did you forget to take your meds today….slow down big boy…you are getting scary.

right2bright on February 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I could/would vote for Trump long before I would ever vote for some of the other potential contenders!

GFW on February 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM

right2bright on February 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Isn’t that par for the course? I imagine him actually shrieking at the monitor while he’s UPPER-CASING his posts.

You-Eh-Vee on February 10, 2011 at 4:21 PM

He should run as a Democrat… he has a better chance there and would force the leftists to actually go to the D primaries.

Plus it would be great fun to hear him tell Obama after winning: ‘You’re FIRED!’

Not gonna happen… his business problems in Baja might be a problem on the R side, but nothing like that would hinder him on the D.

ajacksonian on February 10, 2011 at 4:27 PM

I spit coffee out my nose, and almost dropped my Droid. No more articles like this!

KMC1 on February 10, 2011 at 4:34 PM

enough of McCain, Dole and Romney….I would vote for him in one second if it meant seeing him debate Barry Hussein off prompter…..

SDarchitect on February 10, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Trump Receives Cheers, Boos After Declaring Ron Paul Can Not Get Elected

Geochelone on February 10, 2011 at 4:40 PM

My very liberal neighbor stopped me to tell me she saw a Trump interview and will vote for him if he runs.

Rob Taylor on February 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM

slickwillie2001 on February 10, 2011 at 2:14 PM

I think 50 years of union run liberal indoctrination camps, AKA public schools, is more of a factor.

angryed on February 10, 2011 at 5:16 PM

If it takes Donald Trump to rid the nation of the Obama disaster, im all for it.

I dont know his views on some issues, but he is a heck of a lot better than Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, or Huntsman Jr.

Its going to be an economics centered election, i say we throw 1992 right back in their one term faces, and let Trump run the “its the economy, stupid” campaign.

Unless some Conservative steps up BIG time, im not sure we have a better option to unseat a sitting President.

Thats where i stand on Feb. 10th 2011. Good chance it will change but for today…..thats the scene as i see it.

alecj on February 10, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Yes, let’s make Trump our candidate….the same trump that just donated $50,000.00 to Rahm Emanuel’s campaign in Chicago. What could go wrong?

She’s the only one who can beat Obama, I’ll tell ya that.

gary4205

Drinking early today it seems. She cannot win….well, unless they start giving the election to the person who gets the least electoral votes, in which case she’d win in a landslide.

xblade on February 10, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Insane. No. Way.

ElRonaldo on February 10, 2011 at 7:55 PM

I was ready until I heard he had contributed to Rahm Emanuel’s campaign for mayor of Chicago….Whether that is true or not, I don’t know….If it isn’t true, he would be better than a lot of people I know…

theaddora on February 10, 2011 at 8:08 PM

anikol on February 10, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Thread. Freaking. Winner.

His gains have largely come from the direct suffering of others, his companies have been bankrupt multiple times, and he donates directly to shady libtard groups.

Donald-Duck Trump is the kind of guy ruling America in novels where some Megacorp runs the nation top to bottom.

Dark-Star on February 10, 2011 at 8:38 PM

WTF. I like Sarah. I like Ryan, too.
I also like Jindal.
Rubio?
No Trump. No Mitt-tho there are things about him I like-no Ron Paul-too crazy for me.
Huckabee is a POS, IMHO.
No Rand Paul-apples never fall far from the tree.
No Newt-who needs recycled garbage?
McCain-GTFO!
And Trump-think what it would be like to have a POTUS like that.
A fricking media circus every day of the week.
No thanks.

Badger40 on February 10, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Geochelone on February 10, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I’m not a fan of Donald Trump but he just made my day.

Ron Paul will never win a Presidential election EVER.

Conservative Samizdat on February 10, 2011 at 9:28 PM

But I thought we were told people with reality shows weren’t serious candidates for president?

NoLeftTurn on February 11, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Hadn’t heard Trump say he is for Universal Health Care until I went to the link. Well he is off of my thoughts now.

sheebe on February 11, 2011 at 1:21 AM