Romney revises paperback version of book to take harder line on stimulus, ObamaCare?

posted at 7:08 pm on February 9, 2011 by Allahpundit

Without having compared the hardcover to the paperback myself, I’m duty-bound to add a question mark to the headline. But his spokesman is quoted in the piece and didn’t push back hard against the allegation, so I assume it’s a fair cop.

On what planet does he gain more by doing this than he loses?

In the original hardcover, Romney tried to carefully distinguish between the Massachusetts [health-care] law and the national version that was nearing passage as he wrote.

But the Massachusetts model has become Romney’s bête noire among conservatives, who loathe the national reform they call “Obamacare.” The rewritten paperback swings much harder, proclaiming that “Obamacare will not work and should be repealed,” and “Obamacare is an unconstitutional federal incursion into the rights of states.”

Other additions in that section blame the Massachusetts legislature for altering his plan, and the current Democratic administration of Governor Deval Patrick for botching the implementation.

Asked about the changes, Eric Fehrnstrom, spokesperson for Romney’s Free and Strong America PAC, responded by e-mail: “The book was originally written in the months immediately following President Obama’s inauguration. A lot has occurred over the last two years, and these updates reflect those happenings.”

That’s true. Of course, it’s also true of many other topics in No Apology, virtually all of which is reproduced exactly from the hardcover.

Follow the link up top to see how he tweaked the stimulus section. For anyone else, this would be no big deal. The book’s a campaign prop, so why shouldn’t he be allowed to revise it as circumstances change? Candidates update their stump speech all the time and this is nothing more than a stump speech in paperback form. For Romney, though, whose timely pro-life flip before his first presidential run leaves him forever under suspicion that he’ll tell conservatives anything they want to hear? Just another nail in the coffin of inauthenticity.

Then again, at this point, maybe he figures that his reputation for pandering is so widely known among the base that he’s already lost everyone he’s going to lose because of it. Better to add a little red meat to his book, let the people who weren’t going to vote for him anyway get angry about it, and hope that enough newbie Republicans are pleased by the additions that it’s a net gain for him electorally. Although, in that case, it’s probably better for him to go the whole nine yards and repudiate RomneyCare, no? I’ve always thought that, if he did that, it would be the final, fatal bit of opportunism that finishes off his credibility, but as I say, maybe his credibility’s already finished with enough base voters that there’s nothing much left to lose by doing it. But then, if he was planning to dump RomneyCare, he would have added that to the paperback too, right? Stick to your guns, Mitt!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

If Romney wins the general, America looses.

wheelgun on February 9, 2011 at 9:23 PM

People in the South won’t reject Romney simply because he’s from the North, that’s nonsense. Southerners would gladly support Mike Pence or Rick Santorum. Romney’s problem in the South is his record on core issues.

As an aside, is Hot Air going to allow campaign sock puppets to troll every thread between now and November 2012?

flyfisher on February 9, 2011 at 9:26 PM

If Romney a socialized medicine advocate wins the general, America looses.

wheelgun on February 9, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Just thought I’d broaden that up for you a little bit, Wheel.

gryphon202 on February 9, 2011 at 9:26 PM

I’m the one that said that Southerners won’t go for Mitt. How exactly do you make a leap of logic and conclude that I said southerners are bigoted?

HondaV65 on February 9, 2011 at 9:19 PM

powerpro on February 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM

“shouldn’t McRage be the POTUS right now?”

No Mitt said the other day that he would’ve lost to Obama as well.

“Nominate someone the base dislikes.”

Romney (as does anyone) needs to be POTUS for the whole country not just the base.

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM

If Romney wins the general, America looses.

wheelgun on February 9, 2011 at 9:23 PM

He won’t win the nomination – he doesn’t have to worry about the general at all.

RINO LOGIC: (1) Never vote third party – you’re just electing democrats. (2) Never vote for who you want to win the nomination – vote for who your independent neighbor wants to win it.

That’s their logic.

Look – the Founders gave me one vote – I’ll vote for the man or woman I CHOOSE – not who my neighbor chooses.

HondaV65 on February 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM

flyfisher on February 9, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Do Palinistas count as campaign sock puppets? If so, my magic 8-ball says “all signs point to yes”.

alwaysfiredup on February 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM

HondaV65 on February 9, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Couldn’t agree with your take more. If Romney is the guy, a a conservative third party is inevitable. Heck, it may be anyway. People are sick of the GOP cocktail crowd and their toadies in Congress.

flyfisher on February 9, 2011 at 9:28 PM

HondaV65 on February 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM

I follow leaders, not trends. ;)

(not a Gryph original, but applicable)

gryphon202 on February 9, 2011 at 9:28 PM

“It’s BECAUSE we’re Southern AND we’re not supporting Mitt. Ergo, the only reason that this could possibly be is because of bigotry.

powerpro on February 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM”

powerpro, go back and look at the thread and see who made the declarative statement that a whole region would not vote for Mitt.

I’ll give you a clue. It wasn’t me.

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Go ask McCain how reliable those “independents” are. It’s a fact that a party nominee needs the support of the party base to win.

And Palin can and will attract independents if she runs.

alwaysfiredup on February 9, 2011 at 9:21 PM

The media promised that McCain would win because he’s a non-offensive middle-of-the-road kind of guy the indies just super duper <3.

Last time I checked however, we don't have President McCain living at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Of course, squishies always make this argument and they're always proven wrong. Just ask President Dole.

powerpro on February 9, 2011 at 9:29 PM

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Then why is he seeking the REPUBLICAN nomination?

Let him join the “no labels” crowd because that is EXACTLY their creedo.

HondaV65 on February 9, 2011 at 9:29 PM

I’ll give you a clue. It wasn’t me.

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Yes I know. You’re also the genius who came up with “regional racism” IIRC.

Perhaps, rather than being about bigotry or racism, as you claim, it’s because Southerners are more prone to recognize slick BS salesmen when we see them.

powerpro on February 9, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I’ll give you a clue. It wasn’t me.

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Then go back and see who flung the first accusations of regional bigotry. Maybe the south is actually smarter than most of the rest of the country…?

gryphon202 on February 9, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I’ll give you a clue. It wasn’t me.

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:29 PM

If I said the South wouldn’t vote for the Ayatollah Khomeini for the Republican nomination – would you say the south is (a) Bigoted (which is what you did) or (b) WISE?

But please – i want you to join the Mittens campaign team – he needs you.

HondaV65 on February 9, 2011 at 9:32 PM

I see Sheryl is still here demanding we vote for Mittens.

Aside from the fact that Mitt turns me off of Mitt, Sheryl goes one step further drawing me to the conclusion that I will regret ever voting for Mitt.

I mean, IF by some miracle Mitt was elected president, we would all be scolded by Sheryl when we didn’t completely support Mitt on his Crony Capitalists endeavors.

And then IF Mitt did somehow make it through the primaries but LOST to O’Barry, Sheryl would be there telling us we didn’t push his lazy arse over the line or something.

MeatHeadinCA on February 9, 2011 at 9:34 PM

MeatHeadinCA on February 9, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Meat?! I had no idea you were a Mitt-aholic. Admitting you have a problem and surrendering control is the first step in overcoming. ;)

gryphon202 on February 9, 2011 at 9:35 PM

flyfisher on February 9, 2011 at 9:26 PM

alwaysfiredup on February 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Good point. I quit reading Palin posts so long ago I had forgotten what they are like.

flyfisher on February 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM

flyfisher on February 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM

It’s kind of like going without cable TV. It’s hard at first, but then you realize life is so much more fulfilling without. ;)

gryphon202 on February 9, 2011 at 9:37 PM

“I said the south won’t go for mittens. For the one millionth time – that doesn’t make them bigots it makes them SMART.”

Oh so Mr. DeMoss from Georgia (the person who authored the memo I posted) isn’t smart?

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Very Odd that he changed the title of his book.

Guess he had to go back and revise information on Obamacare/Romneycare and his agreement with TARP.

Is this considered a flip or a flop? Guess it depends if the paperback has any buyers.

texasconserv on February 9, 2011 at 9:39 PM

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Well, the South also gave us Huckabee and Carter, so yeah, every once in awhile, even we produce a defective product.

powerpro on February 9, 2011 at 9:40 PM

“HondaV65 on February 9, 2011 at 9:32 PM”

BTW, who are you to deem who’s smart? Isn’t that rather elitist of you?

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:41 PM

BTW, who are you to deem who’s smart? Isn’t that rather elitist of you?

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:41 PM

I think not voting for a socialized medicine qualifies one as smart enough not to end up on the Darwin Awards dole.

gryphon202 on February 9, 2011 at 9:44 PM

boy is this history documenty is so slanted its terrible.

Gen Powell relly dissed Reagan.

unseen on February 9, 2011 at 9:44 PM

BTW, who are you to deem who’s smart? Isn’t that rather elitist of you?

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:41 PM

It’s not elitist to decide someone’s smart.

It’s elitist to decide someone’s smart or not smart based on the schools they go to or what social circles they’re in.

powerpro on February 9, 2011 at 9:45 PM

BTW, who are you to deem who’s smart? Isn’t that rather elitist of you?

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Why should I care about some random guy from Georgia who I’ve never heard of before today? He may be smart, he may be an idiot. Doesn’t really matter. I don’t trust Mitt and he’s given me precious few reeds to hang onto.

alwaysfiredup on February 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I’ve met Mark DeMoss and know quite a lot about him. He runs a public relations firm for faith oriented groups. His opinion can be bought–and I bet it was. That memo isn’t worth the digital ink it was printed with. Do you work for Mark?

flyfisher on February 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM

“HondaV65 on February 9, 2011 at 9:32 PM”

BTW, who are you to deem who’s smart? Isn’t that rather elitist of you?

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Hmmm …

Is it elitist of me to say that Sir Issac Newton was “smart”?

Is it elitist of me to say that Churchill was “smart”?

Then how in the hell is it elitist of me to say the South is “smart” in not going for Romney?

Romney is a fraud – this whole thread proves it with the revision of his paperback. But … you don’t have to stop there – there’s ample evidence out there – like the flip flops, RomneyCare, and the ridiculous pickup truck.

HondaV65 on February 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Not in my opinion he isn’t. You can’t be very smart and buy into all the flip flops of Mittens.

Sorry – but Mitt Romney as GOP nominee would be worse than us nominating Donald Rumsfeld.

And I love Rumsfeld.

HondaV65 on February 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM

flyfisher on February 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Oops. Well Sheryl, it Looks like your Poptech-like post is merely a Mitt Romney paid for Infomercial.

Sham-Wow-Willard strikes again.

portlandon on February 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Romney’s a northern and Bishop or Honda65 or one of you (I’ve got so many of you attacking me I can’t keep track) said most southern’s won’t vote for him.

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Don’t like being attacked, then scram. You’re making a fool out of yourself.

Knucklehead on February 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

sheryl on February 9, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Well I’m one midwesterner who won’t.

gryphon202 on February 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM

The key to remember is that the media has pretty much left Romney alone (outside of RomneyCare) because Mitt has pretty much been in hiding while letting others fight against Obama and the liberals.

Once the primaries begin Romney can no longer remain in hiding. As soon as he is forced to take stands on issues and voters learn about his flip-flops his approval ratings will be sinking like a rock.

bw222 on February 9, 2011 at 10:11 PM

MittRomney – probably a nice guy; sorry, he is not leader -he is more like a photo op.

Amjean on February 9, 2011 at 10:12 PM

bw222 on February 9, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I think that’s why we’re getting all the Jeb Bush love. Some of them know Romney is unacceptable to the base.

flyfisher on February 9, 2011 at 10:16 PM

canopfor on February 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Merci. You’re too kind. Glad you enjoyed it.

JimP on February 9, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Well I’m one midwesterner who won’t.

gryphon202 on February 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Must be more “regional racism” in action.

powerpro on February 9, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I see from several comments that Huckabee has managed to stygmatize we Southerners as anti-Mormon bigots thanks to his execrable behavior. It’s not true. Please folks, don’t judge us by Huckabee. We disapprove of him as much as the rest of y’all.

JimP on February 9, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Hey Mitt…with that move I have one piece of advise…don’t quit your day job. You are doing just find making millions of dollars doing what you do.

right2bright on February 9, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I don’t know why I didn’t read this thread earlier. Congratulations, very entertaining. I’d like to give a special acknowledgment to Bishop, he outdid himself.

Cindy Munford on February 9, 2011 at 11:02 PM

flyfisher on February 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Sham-Wow-Willard strikes again.

portlandon on February 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM

You mean this “sheryl” sock puppet is a PAID sock puppet?

Naaaaw. Whodathunkit.

We gotta give her/him/it, credit. There is no amount of money that can be paid to make me say a kind work about Willard Romney.

Romney represents the very worst American politics has to offer. No core values, no honor, no principles whatsoever.

There are two people I would actively work against if they were the “gulp” nominee. Willard is one, Huckabee the other.

Thankfully it will never happen, so the Republic is safe.

gary4205 on February 9, 2011 at 11:13 PM

It’s interesting that Sheryl was an aggressive commenter until I mentioned that Mark DeMoss runs a public relations firm and then asked her if she works for him.

flyfisher on February 9, 2011 at 11:26 PM

The guy is worse than many democrats because he won’t remain true to any any principles or positions. I think this makes him worse than many democrats because we expect them to be dirty. Any man that will lie about the fundamental tenets of his faith as Romney has is not only wrong for the GOP, he’s dangerous for the country.

Mormon Doc on February 10, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Leave ‘sheryl’ ALONE! She’s so sincere about her hero Myth and really, really means well. OTOH if you disagree you’re RACIST, SOUTHERN, REDNECK, PALINISTA, KNOW NOTHING, etc. Which group argues like this?
‘sheyl’ is a typical progressive, schoolmarmish type that would morph into a true statist if given any real power and then she/he/it would start sounding more like this, ‘off to the Gulags, shut up, no pudding for you’. The Myth Lick-spittles are as obvious as the Obama ones.

el Vaquero on February 10, 2011 at 6:39 AM

He’s looking alot like Crist in FL. And it’s a mistake.

AnninCA on February 10, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Just gettin’ on the right side of history. Whatever that means. Let the rippin’ begin.

Kissmygrits on February 10, 2011 at 10:06 AM