Quotes of the day

posted at 10:40 pm on February 9, 2011 by Allahpundit

“‘I don’t live in Alaska and I’m not the mother to all these kids and I don’t have other responsibilities that she has,’ said Santorum. I’m sure Santorum’s wife and seven children at home in … Virginia really appreciate his approach to parenting.”

***
“Santorum happens to be the father to seven children—one might assume no matter the parenting balance in the Santorum household, he does, in fact, have some responsibilities in addition to attending CPAC. But more interesting here is the criticism he’s subtly rescuscitating. In ’08, one of the few things many women on both sides of the aisle could agree on re: Palin was that she had steamrolled over the expectation that women could only go into politics in a big way once their kids were raised, and this was a good thing. Republican women and consultants told me this fall over and over again that seeing her up on the stage at the 2008 GOP convention with her young kids was a moment that everything suddenly looked different, more possible for them. It’s how the whole Mama Grizzly movement began, this version of conservative feminism that we found vexing and powerful all at once. Maybe Santorum’s comments were a one-off from a sui generis conservative, or maybe it’s a sign that the good ‘ol boys on the right (and perhaps the left, too) are no longer quite as entranced and stymied by the possibility of grizzly power.”

***
“‘Just because I’m a mom that does not mean that I didn’t want to be there,’ Palin said in an interview with Fox News’s Sean Hannity, referring to the gathering of conservatives in Washington that begins on Thursday.

“‘I’m the proud mother of five,’ Palin added. ‘My kids don’t hold me back from attending a conference.’…

“‘I will not call him the knuckle-dragging Neanderthal,’ Palin said. ‘I’ll let his wife call him that instead.’”

***
Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

OmahaConservative on February 10, 2011 at 7:41 AM

another brisk am for you OC?

cmsinaz on February 10, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Wow, six pages already… I always feel like I missed something. The cool kids are up at 3 am and I have to go to bed at 10 pm.

Santorum should know better. The allure of making points by bashing a mother of five when you’re a father of seven seems moderately sexist, or at least, not well thought out.

I love when the nicely manicured grizzly paw gently but purposefully cuffs the clueless.

Fallon on February 10, 2011 at 7:58 AM

i’m sorry, this is a nonstory…..politico took his words out of context and didn’t even ask him to comment on their story… I saw him talk with greta last night….

i blame politico on this snafu…..

cmsinaz on February 10, 2011 at 6:40 AM

Very good point!..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 8:13 AM

PappyD61 on February 10, 2011 at 7:38 AM

There are alternatives to saying nothing and name-calling. Mrs. Palin’s defenders are entitled to their views, but many traditional conservatives find her increasingly off-putting (I’m included in this group). Not everyone thinks it is a grand idea for a mother of five to say her children don’t “hold [her] back.” And Rick Santorum has been doing heavy lifting for conservatism for considerably longer than Mrs. Palin has–and he has experienced being targeted by the media and the Left for his principled positions. Mrs. Palin could have been gracious, rather than indulging in snide “Neanderthal” comments–instead, she seems insistent on being combative over everything. Some may admire this, but again, others find her increasingly shrill and less inspiring.

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 8:13 AM

mornin’ DS…

cmsinaz on February 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM

First!

John the Libertarian on February 10, 2011 at 8:21 AM

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Very good post!..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 8:22 AM

mornin’ DS…

cmsinaz on February 10, 2011 at 8:15

Good morning..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Rick Santorum used to be my Senator, and now you have agood idea why he isn’t anymore. He shoots from the lip like this all the time, and although he always talked about how many women worked on his Senate staff, he frequently said things “off the cuff” that even conservative women like me thought were sexist.

I read his book, “It Takes a Family” and it is very good. He clearly favors “women being women,” i.e. primarily wives and mothers. His book includes a lot of evidence that the growing rate of mothers working outside the home has been a net “bad” for society on all sorts of scales. But whenever he is confronted by an individual woman who has a career and a strong marriage and family life as well, he backtracksa and says he isn’t talking about everyone.

This is intellectually lazy in my opinion. If you can find more than a handful of outliers who make it work, you should ditch your generalization, find out how they make it work, and help make it work for other women and for society. This is what “conservative feminism” seeks to do. Get women out of the either/or boxes that both liberal and conservative men have put us in.

Sarah Palin exemplifies this new conservative feminism. It, and therefore she, makes a lot of traditional conservative men very uncomfortable. She fights back, she won’t let herself get objectified on one hand or demeaned on the other. She stands up for her own family and supports them while still playing in the public arena. This makes men like Rick Santorum a little crazy, and it makes them say stupid things that actually reveal a lot about their true feelings toward women.

To which I say, GOOD. Go Sarah!

rockmom on February 10, 2011 at 8:23 AM

First!

John the Libertarian on February 10, 2011 at 8:21 AM

LOL!..Good to see you..You are up early!..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 8:23 AM

cmsinaz on February 10, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Yep.
Supposed to get in the fifties and maybe sixties next week.
Mornin’ darlin’

OmahaConservative on February 10, 2011 at 8:27 AM

OmahaConservative on February 10, 2011 at 8:27 AM

mornin :)

stay warm

cmsinaz on February 10, 2011 at 8:28 AM

6″ of snow on the ground in the Mid-South…one solid sheet of ice…wind chill of 5 degrees…yeehaw.

kingsjester on February 10, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Well, thank you. :)

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 8:35 AM

rockmom on February 10, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Rock on!

OT ~ -19 outside of Chicago this morning. Dogs went out and ran back in…

Fallon on February 10, 2011 at 8:38 AM

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Thank you, Dr.M! Not the first time I’ve totally agreed with you. Wish you’d post more often, in fact.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on February 10, 2011 at 8:38 AM

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM

What , she explicitly said she wouldn’t call him a knuckledragging neanderthal….

I prefer her “combative over everything” to the “roll overs, get alongers”.

the_nile on February 10, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Fallon on February 10, 2011 at 8:38 AM

-15 where I am in Chicagoland. I think all of us here should be bolding that “-” this morning ;)

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on February 10, 2011 at 8:39 AM

the_nile on February 10, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Passive agressive is still agressive. And there’s a happy medium to “rolling over” and taking offense at everything and resorting to school-yard, childish name-calling.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on February 10, 2011 at 8:40 AM

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM

She could have been gracious, but she’s also survived the nastiest, most vicious attack on a public figure in recent history. I’ll have to defer to her judgement on this.

BTW, “shrill” is entirely descriptive of the left. It belongs to them. I don’t think anything Palin has ever said has been “shrill”.

MSNBC … that’s shrill.

darwin on February 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Aslans Girl on February 10, 2011 at 8:40 AM

“to” = “btw”.

pimf.

Aslans Girl on February 10, 2011 at 8:42 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on February 10, 2011 at 8:40 AM

The left wants her dead. Some on the right want her dead. There is no “happy medium” … yet.

darwin on February 10, 2011 at 8:44 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on February 10, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Santorium had it coming, he started the passive aggressive thing “she just wants to make money , and all those kids she needs to control”, if he cant take the heat , get out of the kitchen!

the_nile on February 10, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Hey rockmom,

Aren’t you missing a player in this commment – “women”

Don L on February 10, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Aslans Girl on February 10, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Thank you–I find myself nodding in agreement when you post, as well. I sometimes take a break for a few days, and I will also read but say nothing–it is far too easy to get drawn in and hours later find yourself still banging away on the keyboard. As much as I enjoy HA, I prefer a relationship with my husband. :)

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 8:53 AM

the_nile on February 10, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Who says he can’t take the heat?

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 8:54 AM

You are up early!..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Says the pot to the kettle!

John the Libertarian on February 10, 2011 at 8:57 AM

the_nile on February 10, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Who says he can’t take the heat?

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 8:54 AM

I wont tell you that, I let his wife tell you that.

the_nile on February 10, 2011 at 9:01 AM

That was a very strong interview by Palin. She was really quite good.

As for the insult? I don’t get him. That was gratuitous, anti-female, and just a cheap shot. Why would anyone try that?

He doesn’t seem worth checking out to me, now. I guess men like him can be sort of smart, but the arrogance and lack of tact disqualify him in my eyes.

AnninCA on February 10, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Says the pot to the kettle!

John the Libertarian on February 10, 2011 at 8:57 AM

LOL!..Good point..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 9:03 AM

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Can’t blame you for that :) And thanks, too.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on February 10, 2011 at 9:03 AM

John the Libertarian on February 10, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Missed you at last night’s “Late Night Zoo Crew”..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Be quiet everyone, the yellow bellied moderates are speaking.

wheelgun on February 10, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Fallon on February 10, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Well said and well worth repeating.

SKYFOX on February 10, 2011 at 9:15 AM

the_nile on February 10, 2011 at 9:01 AM

I guess that is cute, but what does it mean?

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 9:15 AM

i blame politico on this snafu…..

cmsinaz on February 10, 2011 at 6:40 AM

The Greta interview is here.

This is a manufactured controversy, one that Palin herself bit on – she admits to not seeing the actual clip of Santorum’s words until she went on Hannity, which means that she formed her thoughts on the matter based entirely on hearsay. No wonder she was snarky.

Bottom line: Santorum’s words were twisted out of context to make it look like he was demeaning Palin and making sexist/patronizing remarks about her being a woman by people with dark agendas.

Politico saw a golden opportunity to pit two darlings of the social conservative right against each other and fabricate a civil war among the naive and hypersensitive on the right.

And judging by the foolish, sniping, hyperventilating comments here and other places in the dextrosphere, Politico succeeded.

Harpazo on February 10, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Harpazo on February 10, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Very good post!..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Uhh thats like saying : I got beat up so I know Kung Fu.

Its funny the slant to this(the Time article) is the implication that staying home with kids rather than working 6 days a week is drawing the ‘short straw’ in a relation ship. Its hard work but a lot of fun too unless you that that view.

Raising kids is more important than most jobs. Although stopping Obama from Bankrupting us is probably up there.

DavidM on February 10, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Why. Am. I. Awake?

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Harpazo on February 10, 2011 at 9:20 AM

I beg to differ. Why mention that she had something else to do that involved making money?

A. What’s wrong with making money?

B. There are probably other things Santorum could be doing Friday mornings for The Cause besides getting paid to sit in on Bill Bennett’s radio show.

C. I saw Santorum’s clip, and he certainly was mocking her for choosing to make money doing something other than going to CPAC. He didn’t say what that might have been because he had no idea, he was just lobbing a cherry bomb into her back yard.

D. The more exposure he gets the smaller he seems.

Akzed on February 10, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Why. Am. I. Awake?

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I’m asking myself the same question!..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 9:33 AM

@rockmom: Most white women don’t have Palin’s extended family enabling them to spread their responsibilities and enjoy comprehensive career options in addition to responsible mothering. She also has an unusually stable marriage to a highly accommodating husband, who, probably not coincidentally, has native American cultural roots as well. That is what makes her an outlier and what makes her circumstances work. Most conservatives operate from the assumption that the nuclear family is the Western ideal, and realistically the mother in such a family (let alone a
single mother), would be hard pressed to
accomplish what Palin has. Palin combines modern

feminism, political conservatism and pre-modern
communalism in an extremely idiosyncratic way.

I’m not surprised that Santorum was caught asleep at the
switch. He would probably respond, if he were candid, that the exception proves the rule.

Seth Halpern on February 10, 2011 at 9:39 AM

I don’t know if Sen. Santorum meant to be a bit of a condescending jerk or not, but he came off as one. That said, I would have loved it if Gov. Palin had just brushed it off for two reasons. One, it gives her the chance to be more gracious than he and it might help cut down on the silliness. I don’t think she has to prove herself over and over again. It’s time to be more strategic in the battles waged and Sen. Santorum is not a hill I would die for.

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Seth Halpern on February 10, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Huh. So if Todd weren’t 1/8 Eximo we never woulda hearda Sarah?

Akzed on February 10, 2011 at 9:46 AM

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Like your posts, but don’t agree here.

Santorum should know that you should be careful about approaching a Grizzly when it’s been busy with a rabid pack rinowolves and libjackals.

Hes lucky he has a face,haha.

Maybe SP could have toned it down, but her adrenaline has been up gor a while and she might not have noticed it was a fellow conservative biting on her rump.

SP gets a pass and Ricky learned a valuable life lesson from the bigger bear.

Sonosam on February 10, 2011 at 9:50 AM

“I doubt Sanctorum was attacking her, simply saying he understands motherly duties take time from professional ones. As a father of 3 I can attest to this.”

that should play well with the ladies…

Sonosam on February 10, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Sarah just put the loser from VA back in his hole. He won’t be poppin’ his head out again to take a cheap shot at her anytime soon. This is politics and it gets a lot rougher. If that was Rick’s best shot, he needs to get back on the porch.

Kissmygrits on February 10, 2011 at 9:59 AM

First!

John the Libertarian on February 10, 2011 at 8:21 AM

43rd!…or something like that.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Why. Am. I. Awake?

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Mornin’, Cindy!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Regardless of the need for Palin to respond to every perceived slight, is ther a reason that we aren’t discussing her comments concerning the proposed bailout for the states or her very real concern about incorporating the Muslim Brotherhood in government talks in Egypt?

illininan on February 10, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Fallon on February 10, 2011 at 8:38 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on February 10, 2011 at 8:39 AM

It’s swimsuit weather in my neck of the Chicago ‘burbs right now….-2

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I was actually looking at Santorum as possible nominee to support – but no more.

Look – I know that Palin is his main competition here but he needs to defeat her with ideas and by fighting for conservative principles to prove he has a sack (it’s been a while since any Republican other than a female demonstrated they had a pair).

But if his only response to this challenge is to attack her personally – then … “No thanks Mr. Santorum”.

HondaV65 on February 10, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Palin may be an outlier, but that in itself is sad and frustrating, some 40 years after “women’s liberation.” Why aren’t we encouraging extended families to stick nearby each other anymore? Why aren’t more marriages strong enough to withstand both spouses pursuing major individual interests (don’t forget that Todd was famous in Alaska as a snowmachine racer well before Sarah became Governor)? Why aren’t more husbands as supportive as Todd Palin of their wives’ career interests, or as involved in their children’s upbringing?

Unfortunately, Rick Santorum has no answers to any of these questions.

single mother), would be hard pressed to
accomplish what Palin has. Palin combines modern
feminism, political conservatism and pre-modern
communalism in an extremely idiosyncratic way.

Pre-modern??? I think she is totally modern, which is why so many reactionary men – and women – don’t get her and can’t stand her. Conservatives may need to update their views of women just as much as liberals do.

I’m not surprised that Santorum was caught asleep at the

Seth Halpern on February 10, 2011 at 9:39 AM

And he would be wrong. There are thousands of other women out there who have successful marriages, great kids, helpful families, and careers outside the home. But we haven’t seen one modeled on the national stage before. It’s about damn time we did.

The more I read some of this stuff, the more inclined I am to support Palin if she runs for President. And I never would have said that even six months ago.

rockmom on February 10, 2011 at 10:32 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Good morning alt..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Why. Am. I. Awake?

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Go back to bed, darlin’

OmahaConservative on February 10, 2011 at 10:54 AM

To those who are chiding Palin for fighting back, take your message to practically EVERY OTHER GOP 2012 WANNABE, would ya’?

Thanks a bunch.

Because pretty much EVERY ONE OF THE OTHER GOP 2012 WANNABE’S has taken a swipe at Palin. I figure Palin has had enough.

As such, her “neanderthal” comment is addressed to EVERY ONE OF THE OTHER GOP 2012 WANNABE’S, who have been calling her a cheerleader, and a fundraiser, and a kingmaker. (Newt Gingerich even told her to tone it down. Newt Gingerich??!!!) In their condescending patronizing message of “but don’t bother running, because that’s the big boys job.”

And DrMagnolias? Palin has been standing up for Conservative causes – and taking heat for them – since at least 1992. Santorum has been doing it longer? Really?

And Santorum has experience taking heat for standing up for causes? Really? More than Palin, just in the last 2 1/2 years, not to mention the years since 1992?

You beclown yourself.

I also dispute your “many conservatives including me” feint. That’s classic troll, right there.

Again, I say:

Take your “Palin shouldn’t respond to attacks” and put it in EVERY OTHER GOP 2012 WANNABE’S face, would you?

Call off your dogs. Then Palin wouldn’t have to respond, get it?

Seriously.

Are you for real?

hrh40 on February 10, 2011 at 10:58 AM

OmahaConservative on February 10, 2011 at 10:54 AM

No, I’m up now. I should do something constructive.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Good Morning! I guess. (not based on you but the time).

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2011 at 11:04 AM

hrh40 on February 10, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Don’t be silly, DrMagnolias is not a troll or beclowned. Some people don’t like to be on the attack 24/7, it’s not their nature. And guess what, people who don’t believe everything you do are every bit as valid as you. You seem upset.

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Ditto to what Cindy said.
I made my peace earlier this morning with a few patriots with whom I had been having some political disagreements .

They support Palin while I like Pawlenty.
In the end we have the same goal-to send Barack Obama back to Chicago-where I hopefully will not be residing in-in 2012.
THAT’s what we need to focus on.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Got a ?? for you..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 11:20 AM

He opened his big mouth, she smacked it shut for him. Not much of a smack, either. He won’t even learn anything from it.

SurferDoc on February 10, 2011 at 11:22 AM

@rockmom: It’s one thing to have a career, another to be a national phenomenon – without even having to hire an illegal alien nanny.

I should, however, note that on the American frontier communalism was arguably a necessity for many whites, too, irrespective of American Indian influences.

As to why it hasn’t caught on or persisted generally, I would hazard two main reasons: (1) the automobile, and (2) an inverse correlation between civic voluntarism and Big Government.

Seth Halpern on February 10, 2011 at 11:25 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I like Gov. Palin, I can support her. But I want to support her as a strong proponent of conservative values not someone who is constantly reacting to the most inane garbage. All you have to do is look at Hannity last night. She said all sorts of really savvy things about current events. Does anyone remember or remark on that? No, all you hear is Rick Santorum was mean to her. Who gives a flying flip, he’s the one that looks like an a$$. Don’t get me wrong, I know she’s going to have to defend herself because it can’t be denied that she is huge target, but be above the petty stupid stuff.

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2011 at 11:26 AM

It’s swimsuit weather in my neck of the Chicago ‘burbs right now….-2

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 10:23 AM

We are up to -3. Dogs are still in the house, lol.

I don’t even know where to start here… Why don’t most white women have extended families?

One of the myths of modern feminism is that women didn’t work outside of the home before the 60′s. That’s bunk. Both of my grandmother’s had large families (7 and 8 children) and worked, one as a teacher and illustrator and the other as a cook in a logging camp. I was named after a woman who was the president of a telephone exchange in the 1940′s.

Fallon on February 10, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Got a ?? for you..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Shoot.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 11:33 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 11:33 AM

You are upset with me are you?..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 11:35 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 11:33 AM
You are not upset with me are you?..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Sorry for typo!..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Fallon on February 10, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I don’t think it has to do with feminism but more about the ease of transporting ourselves all over the country. Although I lived the majority of my married life in the same neighborhood I grew up in surrounded by family, we moved for job security. Trust me, there is a huge difference in your day to day life when you no longer have a support system around you.

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Are you aware that I have a tendency toward cartoon violence?
THWACK!
LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 11:48 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I thought you were upset..I just wanted to know if I said something to bother you?..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Most white women don’t have Palin’s extended family enabling them to spread their responsibilities and enjoy comprehensive career options in addition to responsible mothering. She also has an unusually stable marriage to a highly accommodating husband,…..

Seth Halpern on February 10, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Really? I will be sure to tell my DH that when he returns from taking our disable child to her school. Instead of begrudging Palin the reality that she has worked to make her life full and satisfying maybe you should be questioning why other “white” women are unable to do the same.

Not everyone thinks it is a grand idea for a mother of five to say her children don’t “hold [her] back.” …. Mrs. Palin could have been gracious, rather than indulging in snide “Neanderthal” comments–instead, she seems insistent on being combative over everything. Some may admire this, but again, others find her increasingly shrill and less inspiring.

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM

In spite of how many conservatives harp about how only liberals see sexism it is often clear from comments posted at HA that there is indeed sexism in the GOP. There is the expectation that Palin be “gracious” when the boys take their little snarks – she should hide her family like most male politicians do. She should not respond in kind I guess because it’s not ladylike? Seems a tad sexist to me.

I could have accepted his comment about her living in Alaska because obviously her location does impact her ability to flit around to every event. But he couldn’t stop there. He had to throw in the financial obligation – sounded a little resentful that groupswill pay her to speak to them. The implication that “a good mother of 5 has responsibilities that I wouldn’t have even though I have 7 children” was pure and simple sixism. Both of those bits were snotty and inappropriate and he deserved to be called on them. Palin can’t really expect the establishment to defend her and even the most dedicated “Palinista” posting on a blog doesn’t deal in kind to the media and establishment nitpicking at her.

katiejane on February 10, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Subtlety isn’t my strong suit.
If I have have problem with something you wrote-you’ll know it.
Like most Aspies I have trouble ‘reading’ facial expressions and body language. I used to drive my husband bonkers because I was always asking him, ‘Are you mad at me?’
THAT mad him mad. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Question, if this has so many comments, why is it so far down on the page? Is it because it is a QOTD or because it is a Palin thread? I don’t know the rules.

txmomof6 on February 10, 2011 at 12:00 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Great!..I enjoy posting with you friend!..I know sometimes folks can misread a “post”..Just making sure that did not happen..If I ever post anything you find offensive I trust you will let me know..Thanks

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 12:05 PM

txmomof6 on February 10, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I think it is down the page because it is a QOTD..The QOTD usually do not get moved to the top..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Showing all the self restraint of a Pavlovian canine, Palin just can’t resist tit-for-tat snarking. “I won’t call him a Neanderthal…” HAHAHAHAHAhahaha!

The Quitter could learn a thing or two from Hillary, who was, almost daily, subjected to the most vicious and nasty attacks on a public figure in recent history. HRC never sunk to the whining pettiness Palin.

Palin and Santorum: “Let ‘em blind each other”

chumpThreads on February 10, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Thanks DS didn’t know how that worked. Just noticed it today and the other day on a Palin thread, but the other one was probably also a QOTD also.

txmomof6 on February 10, 2011 at 12:10 PM

txmomof6 on February 10, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I think you are correct..:)

Dire Straits on February 10, 2011 at 12:11 PM

chumpThreads on February 10, 2011 at 12:10 PM

And to this very day – in spite of her getting elected to a Senate seat, in spite of her being SOS, many peope STILL talk about what a fool she was for sticking by Bill after all his womanizing. Few people respect her for that behavior rather she comes across as either an abused spouse or someone so desparate for power that she couldn’t give up the benefits of riding Bill’s coattails. But hey – if you agree that continuing to take whatever smears your opponents dish out for power you must hold her in high esteem.

katiejane on February 10, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I dunno. I still find the original post odd. Why was the qualifier “white” women brought up? What was that all about?

I’ve lived away from family and found support in the new areas. It’s not the same but I try not to begrudge anyone having family around to help. Why is that considered a negative?

Santorum should not have commented on Palin’s motives. He needlessly stepped into speculation and got cuffed in the process. Harm, foul and penalty.

Fallon on February 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Fallon on February 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Yeah, I don’t get the “white” women qualifier either. I loved being around my family and having my children grow up in that atmosphere but it really is a thing of the past. Between the mobility of the nation and the breakdown of the traditional family it is more the exception than the rule. That’s just life.

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2011 at 12:31 PM

PappyD61 on February 10, 2011 at 7:38 AM

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM

You, Asian’s girl and a few others are way too emotional about Palin. Read her record, read Obama’s and make informed decisions. Quit whining.

Amjean on February 10, 2011 at 12:42 PM

“While I will discuss polling data on Sarah Palin on this site, it should be noted that she will likely have the biggest upside in long-term polling data, should she run for President in 2012. Where she currently sits poll-wise should be considered the bottom. People who like her or support her now (with all the negative media reports out there) are unlikely to be deterred. The question is, how moved people are when (and if) they see Palin run and actually see her.”

“Palin’s big advantage is that campaigns are when people start paying attention. Palin’s favorables did not begin to drop drastically until after she was out of the public eye and the media targeted went after her. The Question is, and what we will be looking for, is how much of a bounce she gets when she begins running TV ads (test ads from her PAC were received positively) and is seen unfiltered through Primary debates. My money is that you will definitely see a big bounce and will close in on Obama greatly.”

Viator on February 10, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Re: Polling Palin: An Unknown Known
Excellent analysis. Looking forward to her 2012 campaign smack-downs of the competition. Not only does she live rent-free in the Dems and BLM’s collective heads (but I repeat myself!), the footsteps they hear are getting louder.

ornery_independent on February 10, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Seth Halpern on February 10, 2011 at 9:39 AM
Huh. So if Todd weren’t 1/8 Eximo we never woulda hearda Sarah?

Akzed on February 10, 2011 at 9:46 AM

So, out of that whole post, that’s the one item that you came away with?

Sad.

Solaratov on February 10, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Sarah Palin is a drama queen.

Chudi on February 10, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2011 at 11:08 AM
annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Thank you, both.

Amjean on February 10, 2011 at 12:42 PM

If you think disagreement is emotionalism and/or whining, you must be purely miserable here on HA.

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 3:49 PM

rockmom on February 10, 2011 at 8:23 AM

There is no such thing as conservative feminism. It’s like saying collectivist capitalism, the two words don’t go together. Feminism is a female supremacist movement. It has gone beyond equal rights and opportunities to championing special rights for women.

Sarah Palin is starting to lose her luster.

Bill C on February 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Bill C on February 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Well said.

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 5:01 PM

illininan on February 10, 2011 at 10:21 AM

The reason is Palin’s own fault. If she hadn’t been so OTT in dealing with Santorum, maybe we would be talking about her foreign policy ideas. She did this to herself with her name-calling of a fellow conservative.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on February 10, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Bill C on February 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Way back in ’0 when I found out that she was a member of “Feminists for Life” red flags went up because that word, feminism, never means anything good for women.

Before ’08, most conservatives thought highly of Phyllis Schlafly. Since then, I’ve seen many conservatives support Palin. I find the two women at odds with each other, even more so since last night. Even if Santorum meant this the way Politico twisted it (which I don’t believe), Palin’s “neanderthal” remark was uncalled for. She would then be calling quite a number of conservatives, including Phyllis Schlafly, a “neanderthal”. But since she has always called herself a feminist, I shouldn’t be surprised.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on February 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM

katiejane on February 10, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Yes, I do wish Palin would be ladylike, just as I ask for men to be gentlemanly. It’s how I was brought up, and I am grateful. There is certainly nothing “sexist” about it, although I don’t put much stock in the whole “sexism” cry anyway. I am sick to death of hearing that women are victims, we are limited by men, etc. No matter what anyone ever says or does to me, I’m no victim–we choose how we respond. Some people here cheer combativeness; I am not among them. This board is not an echo chamber, and the belligerence of those who want it to be is tiresome (this is not directed at you, but is an expression of my views).

Aslans Girl on February 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM

In my view, feminism is founded on liberal tenets, therefore, a conservative simply cannot be a feminist–there must be an acceptance of certain liberal precepts in order to call oneself a feminist. There can certainly be some parting of ways with liberal views, such as an opposition to abortion, but there is marked similarity, as well–such as taking refuge in cheap shots such as “Neanderthal.”

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 6:10 PM

It is Gov. Palin, not any of us, who is the target subject of these continuous assaults attacks smears on her integrity, her values, her faith, and her credibility. Therefore, it is her right, not any of ours, to choose to which of these issues she should and will respond.

Comments, whether inflated/conflated/twisted in their meaning by a willing media or not, which have sexist aims implications regarding Gov. Palin, should always receive a prompt and decisive response. She seems to know how to fight her own fights, and quite well without the guidance of anyone here.

Freelancer on February 10, 2011 at 6:13 PM

This kind of thing speaks volumes to me about Mrs. Palin’s disposition. I really don’t think she has the proper demeanor nor the cool-headedness necessary to interact with people, especially foreign leaders, on a national or international level. Her response to Santorum, who I think was not intending offense, was a bit too wise-ass for my tastes. And also being unnecessary, I see a singularly unfortunate pattern in her interaction with people in general.

Pilgrimsarbour on February 10, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Some of you folks are trying very hard to stamp some kind of pseudo “Liberal” label on Gov. Palin, through a misguided guilt-by-association with the term feminism.

Have you ever heard a word she has said? Have you ever read a word she has written? You who would attempt to discredit her from the right in this way, would you call John McCain a conservative? Mitt Romney? Mike Huckabee? Charlie Crist? It is completely disingenuous and callow. Try an argument of substance regarding her position on real issues, and see how well you can paint her as a liberal.

You should be ashamed.

Freelancer on February 10, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Hey, Freelancer, I wouldn’t call any of those you listed as all that “conservative” either. In other threads I most certainly have disagreed with her on substance. I’ve been studying her and don’t find her nearly as conservative as her supporters think she is. One example is her stance on DADT and gay marriage.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on February 10, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Freelancer on February 10, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I suspect she isn’t reading these boards, so this is simply a discussion of our views.

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2011 at 6:24 PM