Chump blogger already saving his money for iPad 2

posted at 9:25 pm on February 9, 2011 by Allahpundit

How long has it been since I embarrassed myself with an iPad fanboy post?

Too long, my friends. Too long.

Apple Inc. has started manufacturing a new version of its iPad tablet computer with a built-in camera and faster processor, said people familiar with the matter.

The new iPad will be thinner and lighter than the first model, these people said. It will have at least one camera on the front of the device for features like video-conferencing, but the resolution of the display will be similar to the first iPad, these people said. It will also have more memory and a more powerful graphics processor, they said.

The new iPad will initially be available through Verizon Wireless and AT&T Inc., but not Sprint Nextel Corp. or T-Mobile USA in the U.S., according to some of the people familiar with the matter…

Piper Jaffray & Co. estimates Apple will sell 27 million iPads in 2011, and some investors expect as many as 35 million units in sales. “It’s going to be a critical growth driver,” said Gene Munster, an analyst with Piper Jaffray.

I held off on getting one for months after it was released last year, swayed by umpteen thousand Hot Air commenters who insisted that only a true chump would bother with a first-gen device. Then, in the fall, I was given one for free, and the clouds parted and a light shone down. It’s a nifty device: Doesn’t do much that the iPhone doesn’t do unless you’re into the higher-end iPad games, but the pleasure of playing/reading/watching/tweeting on a big screen makes the experience qualitatively different. I used to worry that the two would be redundant but they’ve ended up serving distinct purposes, with the iPhone as the in-a-pinch portable option and the iPad the lounging-around-the-house choice. If the redundancy issue worries you too, it’s worth playing with an iPad for a few minutes when next you find yourself in an Apple store. You’ll see what I mean about the difference, how the size adds a new dimension of accessibility to the apps.

Exit question: What’s worse than a chump blogger who’s already saving his money for iPad 2? Exit answer: A chump blogger who’s already saving his money for iPad 3.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Other than being a really expensive Kindle, what else can the iPad do?

Kini on February 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Make you look reeeeeealllly cool in

a) an airport
b) San Francisco / New York coffee shop

angryed on February 9, 2011 at 10:55 PM

You-Eh-Vee on February 9, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Well you better get busy with your letter writing campaign then.

A google search of [“Retinal DisplayApple] turned up about 138,000 references.

Looks like Retinal Display is in common use but congress should get busy passing law so that people won’t use Retinal Display when they should really be saying Retina Display.

O the humanity. I’ll call Leo Laport and inform him about his error. You can do the letter writing. Deal?

Geochelone on February 9, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Make you look reeeeeealllly cool in

a) an airport
b) San Francisco / New York coffee shop

angryed on February 9, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Airports, NY and SanFran, my fav hangs!

Kini on February 9, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Well you better get busy with your letter writing campaign then.

A google search of ["Retinal Display" Apple] turned up about 138,000 references.

Geochelone on February 9, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Yes, and a google search of “barack obama is a genius” turns up 619,000 results. As you’ve proved in countless threads, the Internet is full of tools.

Goodnight.

You-Eh-Vee on February 9, 2011 at 11:10 PM

“Now with slight improvements!” Too funny.

The iPad has been really great for lounging about the house or surfing the web while at the coffee spot, but not enough to splurge on the next shiny new one with only “slight” changes. Agree with those wanting Flash; that’s the only thing would have me cave.

The Kindle is the next gadget I’ll get since the iPad isn’t the best for reading at length. But otherwise, I really do looove this thing! Typing on it now :)

EarthToZoey on February 9, 2011 at 11:16 PM

I just want them to put the apostrophe and the quotation marks on the main alpha keypad next time, instead of forcing you to do that stupid upsweep stroke on the comma and period keys (which if you don’t hit it absolutely right, you still get a comma and a period).

jon1979 on February 9, 2011 at 11:18 PM

You-Eh-Vee on February 9, 2011 at 11:10 PM

So you blow a gasket because I said Retinal Display instead of Retina Display, the former of which is used by Leo Laport (who has millions of listeners around the globe) and by reviewers of Technology Products in print publications, AND I AM THE TOOL?

That’s rich. Don’t forget your binky. nitey nite!

Geochelone on February 9, 2011 at 11:31 PM

I’ve been impressed with Motorola’s Droide entry, the Xoom. It won C/NET’s Best of CES for 2011. I think passing up the koolaid on the first go round may be beneficial for the health of my wallet. :)

itsspideyman on February 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Bought the 1st gen in June. Wouldn’t buy another one. Only does a fraction of what a net book or laptop does. Expensive iPod Touch. Nothing more. No Flash. No printing. No ports of any kind.

roninacreage on February 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM

sucka!

ted c on February 9, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Apple will NEVER allow flash (or silverlight or HTML 5) on thier devices. It would destroy the need to have apps. In many ways the iphone, ipod, ipad world is a throwback that trys to shut out the internet/cloud world that does not require you to buy apps to do really cools stuff. Why does that model make apple so much money? If I knew that I wouldn’t tell you all.

LakeLevel on February 9, 2011 at 11:57 PM

But WiFi is great. Nifty device with untapped potential. Will the new one have a better screen? I will have to check.

Yep. That’s all I use it for. Haven’t even bothered signing up for 3G, which means I’m housebound with it. But I’m pretty much housebound anyway, so it works out.

Allahpundit on February 9, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Jailbreak your iPhone and get MyWi.

kim roy on February 10, 2011 at 2:29 AM

I have iphone iPod touch 3rd gen kindle w/red leather case and led reading light iriverMp3s silent point headphones night-vision scope Chinese kanji scanner and you would be justified in calling me nuts.

I love the smell of devices in the morning.

No money in the bank and I ride a motorcycle cuz I don’t own a car and now I know why!

I will be first in line for those cybernetic implants when they become available so I can involve into a device since that seems to be the path I am on.

Oh the humanity!!

And it just might be a guy thing.

Torture is shopping for shoes with my wife!!

Sherman1864 on February 10, 2011 at 3:08 AM

Forgot to mention the flagship item: iPad ….I got that too…..

Sherman1864 on February 10, 2011 at 4:14 AM

Evolve, that is….this iphone keyboard is tough!

Sherman1864 on February 10, 2011 at 4:16 AM

See the light, my friends: Archos 101 internet tablet. Ipad coolness with an Android OS–and that means Flash compatibility. And if ten inches is too big (tee hee), go for the Archos 70. Same guts as the 101 but more compact.

This post was written from a 101.

johnny alpha on February 10, 2011 at 5:10 AM

No interest in supporting apple, just say no!

As a techie I hate closed hardware platforms.

gdonovan on February 10, 2011 at 5:55 AM

An iPad Mini
Priced about $399?
I’m all over it.

Haiku Guy on February 10, 2011 at 7:33 AM

AAPL doesn’t do Flash because, unlike Google’s Android and forthcoming Honeycomb tablet OS, it is not written in JavaME.

Google’s primary purpose in releasing Android free is not for users to watch movies or anything else, but to view ads – their primary business. All other “features” are hardware vendor tack-ons.

Why Apple can’t be too worried about Android 3.0 Honeycomb tablets taking away iPad sales: Part 1
The Android platform supremacy myth
Daniel Eran Dilger
Listen to giddy Android enthusiasts and you might get the impression that the next tablet-centric version of Google’s Android platform, named 3.0 Honeycomb, is about to destroy iPad sales. They’re wrong, here’s why.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

The putative iPad 3 is rumored to be an upscale version, as an iPhone is to an iPod Touch.

Disclaimer – I own neither an iPhone nor an iPad.

Friendly21 on February 10, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Geesh. why not get an Apple logo tattooed on your ass and get it over with? (don’t forget the caption “I belong to” above it).

There are new entries coming up in this market and I think that they will most likely beat Apples offerings hands down.

Why? Because that’s what’s happened in the past.

Almost every-time, apple has produced a trend setting appliance/electronic gadget/media doodad and sold lots and lots; until other competing companies see there’s money to be made and produce their own. Only they make them with the idea in mind of PLEASING THE CUSTOMER and one big way to do that is LOWER THE PRICE AND INCREASE THE USABILITY.

Apple never learns this lesson. They over price their products. They don’t adapt well to competition pricewise and as to usuability: Once they build a product, to them that’s it. Job done! Now gimme your money.

They did it with computers. They did it with smartphones. They’re gonna do the same thing with these enlarged smartphones/miniature computers.

Me, I’m waiting 6 mos. to 2 years for the market to shake out and for increased wireless availability (4g, 5g?) and decreased pricing along with better functionality and hardware along with better apps and linking with your existing electronics.

Then I’ll buy one and it most likely WON’T be an Apple.

jcw46 on February 10, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Xoom.

Beo on February 10, 2011 at 10:08 AM

jcw46 on February 10, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I may just get that tattoo. AAPL stock has made me a boat load of $$$ in the last two years. It’s up to $359/share and equities analysts have boosted their target price to $450-$460.

Analysts have had three weeks since Apple reported its best quarter ever to breakdown the results and the verdict is finally in: Apple should be the most valuable company on earth. CNBC Fast Money

I think I’ll continue to support Apple.

MarkM on February 10, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I’ve had my iPad for almost a year and I love it and use it constantly. And when I’m not using it my 83-year-old father uses it. He lives with me and has had a PC in his room for years but only turned it on about once a month to check his bank account. I have trouble getting the iPad away from him, though, because he loves to surf the net and listen to his smooth jazz music from his recliner. As soon as the iPad 2 comes out I’m all over it and giving him my old one.

I’ve never been an Apple guy before but I’m a total iPad fanboy.

rsrobinson on February 10, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Yes that’s it. That’s why Apple is only the 2nd most valuable company in the world, and that’s why Apple stores don’t have any customers in them. They are so useless they are opening a 5th store in Manhattan for all the customers who hate their products and can’t wait to buy the opposition stuff.

Ozwitch on February 10, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I bought IPADs for both the wife and daughter for Christmas. It’s a little irrating the proprietary crap that Apple plays with their devices.

hawkdriver on February 10, 2011 at 3:11 PM

I had heard the new iPad would have a USB port. Incorrect? Moreover isn’t android 3.0 called ‘gingerbread’ not ‘honeycomb’ as one commenter wrote?? At least that’s what I read in an article on CES. And it appears a keyboard for iPad will be marketed that turns the iPad into windows 7 when connected.
The choice to wait for the ‘next’ model of just about any successful device is always a choice most buyers must make unless they gots the cash to buy ‘em all. Judgement call.
Pure naked capitalism. I am all for it.
Oil, steel, and railroads of the 19th century.
‘There will be blood.’

Sherman1864 on February 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Sherman1864 on February 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM

honeycomb is the name for the tablet OS, not the phone OS – read the links posted and learn something.

Friendly21 on February 10, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I think I’ll continue to support Apple.

MarkM on February 10, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Um, I thought the discussion was about the IPad2 and it’s unveiling et al?

Not about the price of it’s stocks.

P.S. After I posted my comment: Apple Stocks Fell.

Did I do that?

Me as Steve Urkel

Hope you didn’t LEAP to any incorrect conclusions MarkM.

jcw46 on February 10, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Apple fanatics: Ya gotta love ‘em.

They’re so darn zealous.

I comment about the Ipad and jumping too soon on the techno band wagon and get reactions touting how much money Apple makes and how popular they are. (For now)

They’ve had the market to themselves for a few years now. (just like in the ’80′s) They’re looking like the best thing since sliced bread. However that’s only illusory and illusive.
Apple has dropped the ball before. They underestimate the ability of other companies to meet and beat their technology. They overprice their stuff (hence the high stock price. (for now). They keep their technology closed. (just like the good liberal progressive control freaks that they are, they don’t like competition and don’t like free and open markets. Apple likes control on all their products and services.)

They HAVE opened the door. (have to grant them that, they do take obscure research tech:

(In 1979, Xerox threw open its doors to anyone in the industry and press, who might be interested in seeing their developments. Several Apple Computer employees, including Steve Jobs, visited Xerox PARC that day. Jobs and the others saw the commercial potential of the WIMP (Window, Icon, Menu, and Pointing device) system and redirected development of the Apple Lisa to incorporate these technologies. Jobs is quoted as saying “They just had no idea what they had.” In 1980, Jobs invited several key PARC researchers to join his company so that they could fully develop and implement their ideas. Bill Gates, who had also been present, had similar thoughts.)

and promote it and produce it but get too complacent and greedy.
(See number of Windows PC’s compared to number of Apple PC’s.)

Who actually invented the smartphone?

In 1994, IBM and BellSouth introduced a combination phone and PDA called the Simon Personal Communicator. Often touted as the first smartphone, the Simon was costly and heavy (see personal communicator). It took another decade before smartphones became small and powerful enough to be widely used.

Not Apple. Just sayin’

jcw46 on February 10, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Who actually invented the smartphone?

Who actually invented the lightbulb?
From wikipedia: “In addressing the question of who invented the incandescent lamp, historians Robert Friedel and Paul Israel[4] list 22 inventors of incandescent lamps prior to Joseph Swan and Thomas Edison. They conclude that Edison’s version was able to outstrip the others because of a combination of three factors…” Blah Blah Blah “…Another historian, Thomas Hughes, has attributed Edison’s success to the fact that he developed an entire, integrated system of electric lighting.”

Apple wasn’t the first to make an tablet or smartphone. They were just the first to do it well.

yelnats on February 10, 2011 at 10:57 PM

gotta admit….I broke down and bought an Iphone today…..been trying to learn to set it up and use it all evening…still gotta learn to text, and try to figure out how to dump some of the icons, but it’s operating off my home wi-fi so I don’t use up all my web access, and d/l’d a couple of apps…it’s not easy but it acts like it may be interesting, entertaining and very useful…this from a hardcore Old School Phone user!

Vntnrse on February 11, 2011 at 2:18 AM