The most embarrassing Super Bowl gaffe?

posted at 9:30 am on February 7, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Was it the two picks thrown by Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger?  No, even though they were the difference in the game as the Green Bay Packers won by six points, 31-25.  Was it Christina Aguilera botching the national anthem on the world’s biggest stage?  No, not really, as I’ll explain below.  J. P. Freire at the Examiner points out the most embarrassing Super Bowl gaffe, which had nothing to do with football or the show last night:

You may have noticed that Chrysler released the longest ad in Super Bowl history on Sunday night, featuring the new Chrysler 200 driven by Detroit native rap star Eminem, an ad that CEO Sergio Marchionne says cost less than $9 million. But given that the company’s CEO also announced this past week that is seeking a “better deal” on government loans, it is likely that this ad had more to do with getting political support than selling cars. Besides, is spending millions on a Super Bowl ad appropriate for a company that received a taxpayer bailout to recover from a bankruptcy?

Not only did Chrysler spend $9 million on a long Super Bowl ad when asking for a better deal on their loan from taxpayers, the CEO of Chrysler managed to insult taxpayers for not offering more friendly terms on their government bailout:

Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said the automaker was in talks to refinance its expensive government loans — and criticized the government for charging him “shyster” rates.

Marchionne has noted that the company paid $1.2 billion in interest on its government loans and other obligations in 2010, resulting in a net loss.

“I am paying shyster rates,” Marchionne said, noting that Chrysler had no choice in 2009 but to pay the high interest rates the government set as part of its $15 billion Chrysler bailout. “We had no choice… I am going to pay the shyster loans.”

He called the loans “a thorn in my side.”

Marchionne even manages to get his insult wrong.  “Shyster” refers to attorneys, not lenders.  He may have meant “shylock,” which is slang for loan sharks, which is itself slang for usurious lenders backed with the threat of violence.  Either way, Freire dismantles Marchionne’s complaint as well as Chrysler’s claim in the ad that they and Detroit have survived the “hottest fires” to get back on their feet:

One: Chrysler didn’t go through the hottest fires. Unless, of course, “hottest fires” means “skipping bankruptcy” and asking for a handout to protect union pensions, which it got. And when Fiat was able to take control of Chrysler, it was because of a heavily politicized deal facilitated by the president’s auto task force. It even got $6.6 billion in exit financing by Uncle Sam. Most failing businesses have trouble finding buyers. Not Chrysler.

Two: Detroit may have been through a self-imposed over-taxed, over-regulated hell, but it certainly hasn’t come back. Budget numbers still show Detroit’s books in the red, despite Mayor Dave Bing’s best efforts to rein in spending. And Pew reveals that Detroit residents spend more for their municipal legislature than any other major city in the U.S. Heck, even its library is facing a dire fiscal crisis.

It’s bad enough that we spent billions to rescue Chrysler from its decades of poor labor-relations and marketing decisions.  Now we have Marchionne complaining that taxpayers damaged the rope his company wrapped around its neck when we cut them down from the gallows.

As for Aguilera, perhaps she should have focused more on learning her lines than in crafting all the vocal stylings that now apparently must accompany the national anthem wherever it is sung:

Singer Christina Aguilera got things off on the wrong foot tonight at Super Bowl XLV, when she mangled the lyrics of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” to kick off the meeting between the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers.

The pop star botched the line, “O’er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming,” repeating an earlier line of the song, though she messed up that one, too.

She sang “What so proudly we watched at the twilight’s last gleaming,” but in that line, it is supposed to be “hailed,” not “watched.”

“The Star-Spangled Banner” is a notoriously difficult song to sing, though the problem most performers have is with the range of the song, not the words.

Singers have two jobs: get the words right and hit the right notes. Aguilera certainly isn’t the first singer at a sporting event to fail the first task, nor is she the first singer to turn the national anthem into a pop ballad with ludicrous vocal flourishes, which even the ABC anchor skewers at the end of this clip. But at least she didn’t miss the words on purpose, and didn’t call American taxpayers “shysters” or “shylocks” or take money from taxpayers and then gripe that she didn’t get a better deal for it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I passed on the SB this year. Just too much hype. Aguilera is just another so-so singer with mediocre vocals putting her own spin on the national anthem. Happens about every year at the SB.

jbh45 on February 7, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Who knows which “ram part” the song is talking about anyway!

Shy Guy on February 7, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I don’t care what anyone says, but if there is one and only one celebrity who years ago single-handedly managed to butcher the National Anthem to the degree that she was literally booed off the field afterward, thus achieving legendary status, it was Roseanne Barr!

Watch and listen if you dare!

pilamaye on February 7, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Makes my blood boil, my taxdollars being used to pay Eminem to shill for Chrysler.

commodore on February 7, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Attempting a 52 yard field goal against a team that couldn’t properly catch a punt all night is my vote for biggest gaffe, but the Chrysler CEO flubbing sorta anti-Semitic slurs to insult the taxpayers who bailed him out is right up there.

forest on February 7, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Watch and listen if you dare!

pilamaye on February 7, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Er,no thanks. Once was way more than enough.Blodd pressure hit stroke level.

katy the mean old lady on February 7, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Hey, Sergio, no one held a gun to your head to buy a failing American car manufacturer just so you’d have a network to hustle your Italian rustbuckets. You knew the terms of the deal. If you’re suffering buyer’s remorse, it’s just probably a taste of what millions of your customers have already suffered.

tpitman on February 7, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Chrysler/Fiat should be embarrassed for spending that kind of money, when having their hand out to the government.

That said…that was objectively one of the best commercials of the Super Bowl…political and common sense considerations aside. As a commercial alone, it was a success.

With Aguilera, there is only one word: Failure.

neoavatara on February 7, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I got a relative a lot like Chrysler.

unlisted on February 7, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Enrico Polazzo lives!

Good Lt on February 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Let’s see Ford hasn’t wasted money on a Super Bowl ad for the last five years, Toyota for the last two. Yet GM and Chrysler’s brain trust thinks this is the best way to spend the taxpayers advertising money. That tells you something right there.

lowandslow on February 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM

We all sat in disbelief watching that commercial. A good friend looked at me and said, what was that… Gangster type commercial for a car company that got bailed out with tax payer dollars is like throwing acid on an open wound.

Keemo on February 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I did not care for the commercial that I paid for.

myrenovations on February 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM

FIAT.Fix it again Tony.

katy the mean old lady on February 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I remember watching an NFL playoff game back in the 1970s for which Glen Campbell sang the national anthem. Glen forgot a line. Oops!

Really Right on February 7, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Sergio probably won’t be thrilled with the fact that Men’s Health Magazine voted Detroit the most pissed off city in the country. Maybe that is why his commercial closed with “Imported From Detroit”, in that he wants the city to be considered a renegade sovereign nation or something.

pilamaye on February 7, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Christina Aguilera’s national anthem sounded like a bad American Idol audition. Why do the pop singers always have to “style” everything?

Ward Cleaver on February 7, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Enrico Polazzo lives!

Good Lt on February 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Yeah, but at least he made up for it by saving the Queen later on.

My favorite “botched” national anthem rendition was when Jamie Kennedy did it at a minor league baseball game for his prank show. He was disguised as a country singer(and he actually sang well) and went through every verse of the song. Every time the crowd thought he was done, he’d go into the next verse and they’d be forced to stand back up. Eventually I think the mascot chased him off the field.

Doughboy on February 7, 2011 at 9:50 AM

The SB SUCKED this year.

Awful half time show

awful commercials

blatantblue on February 7, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Christina is a professional singer. She has performed the National Anthem before.

After it was announced that Aguilera would be singing the national anthem for the 2011 Super Bowl, she said in a news release that she had been performing the song since she was 7 and was “excited to be part of such an iconic event.”

Now, we all make mistakes, even on the biggest stages. But trying for singing stylistics while screwing up the lyrics is dumb.

I don’t know which was worse, the Chrysler ad or the GM “extended range” Chevy volt ad. What, it comes with an extra long extension cord?

rbj on February 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I was ready to turn the game off by the time kickoff finally arrived because of the stupid, dragged-out, America Idol-version of the pregame show. Dump the bimbo form Glee, please. As for Aguilera, I could forgive the lyrics slipup more easily than than I can turning the national anthem into an R&B vocal demonstration. Who’s up next year? Eminem? And then there was Michael Douglas droning on and on about our collective journey. Jeezis, this was a football game.

We watched the first half and then went to bed early.

DaydreamBeliever on February 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM

It sounds like Mr. Sergio Marchionne is doing it wrong.

Cindy Munford on February 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Ward Cleaver on February 7, 2011 at 9:49 AM

If they couldn’t find anybody “celebrity” wise they should have had the guy who sang at the NFC championship game. That gave me the chills.

On that big of stage – people shouldn’t be talking about how horrible the anthem was. Regardless of the flub – it was horrendous.

gophergirl on February 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM

There was a prep meeting where some guy said this:

How about the Black Eyed Peas?

That’s the biggest gaffe.

mudskipper on February 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM

You may have noticed that Chrysler released the longest ad in Super Bowl history on Sunday night, featuring the new Chrysler 200 driven by Detroit native rap star Eminem, an ad that CEO Sergio Marchionne says cost less than $9 million.

The Chrysler 200 isn’t even a new car. It’s a facelifted Chrysler Sebring, a notoriously craptastic car.

Ward Cleaver on February 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I liked the ad where the little boy was dressed as Darth Vader and told his dad that he’d go out and start the car again. Then the little kid goes out and stands in front of the car with his arms out —- and dad starts it with a remote control through the kitchen window.

Not every commercial sucked.

Marcus on February 7, 2011 at 9:55 AM

@Ed,

You forgot to mention the Groupon “Tibet” ad. Very bad taste IMO.

JVelez on February 7, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Re Aguilera: I’ve sung the National Anthem few few times as a soloist.
Since I’m a second soprano/first alto I transpose it down a few keys so I don’t sound like a yowling cat on ‘…and the rockets red glare…’

I also realize that there is a time and a place for showing off my pipes. Singing the National Anthem is not one of those times.
As far as the lyrics go-they’re not that difficult. Aguilera could have learned them but her priority was playing ‘diva’-not honoring her country.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 7, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Enrico Polazzo lives!

Good Lt on February 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I thought it was more like Bleeding Gums Murphy

JetBoy on February 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM

So, Eminem has entered the “shilling for cars and soda pop” phase of his career? Can Vegas be far off?

tommyboy on February 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM

My wife and I watched that ad and were quite mad. All I could think was how that company received tax payer money, protected unions, and screwed bond holders. And all this, “Detroit is a tough city; a city that’s been through the fire; the motor city” was just insulting. I’ve never liked Ford, but I became a Ford man in 2008.

Weight of Glory on February 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Marcus on February 7, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I like the ‘House’ spoof of the Mean Joe Green ad from the ’70′s.
‘Vader’ was also funny.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM

What is the “shyster/shylock” %? I see they don’t publicize that, what do you want to bet it is better then any one of us could get?
I have stated this time and time again, usually regarding atheists and there greedy attitude of accepting what the faithful has created and not being thankful.
But here it is in this context:
“Beggars never are thankful for what they are given, they are takers, not givers”.

right2bright on February 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Morning Joe was spinning a statement from Aguilera in which she expressed regret but hopes that viewers could understand how she got swept up in the patriotic moment.

Yeah, right. Sk*nky CA just oozes patriotism.

BuckeyeSam on February 7, 2011 at 9:59 AM

They do it because (in their “minds”) it’s all about them.

50sGuy on February 7, 2011 at 9:59 AM

I liked the Doritos ad… Sick and funny at the same time…

Khun Joe on February 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM

@Ed,

You forgot to mention the Groupon “Tibet” ad. Very bad taste IMO.

JVelez on February 7, 2011 at 9:55 AM

GroupOn is located in Chicago, so the Chicago Tribune is taking them to task this morning for that boneheaded ad!

pilamaye on February 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I thought it was more like Bleeding Gums Murphy…

JetBoy on February 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Exactly…hardly a difference in the two.

right2bright on February 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM

I liked the Doritos ad… Sick and funny at the same time…

Khun Joe on February 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM

You forgot to mention it was also perverted.

pilamaye on February 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Yeah, right. Sk*nky CA just oozes patriotism.

BuckeyeSam on February 7, 2011 at 9:59 AM

I watched it @ a church and the Pastor spent a lot of time-especially- during commercials-standing in front of the screen.
What a freekin’ ‘rhymes with bore’ fest.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 7, 2011 at 9:56 AM

You’re right, twerp. The Star Spangled Banner is not “notoriously difficult”; that has just become a cliche made up by people who want to get rid of it. As a matter of fact, Aquilera made it a lot harder by adding all that crap to it. No wonder she forgot the words.

DaydreamBeliever on February 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I dislike renditions of our anthem….just sing it the way it was written

cmsinaz on February 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I wouldn’t buy a Chrysler even if you held a gun to the tank of my favorite bike. A rebadged Sebring clunker, “imported” from the decaying craphole of Detroit, no thanks.

Bishop on February 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM

In general, the ads were lousy.

All the same, I liked the early Audi ad with the guys breaking out of the ritzy prison. I really like the VW ad with the little Darth Vader–it reminded me of a nephew of mine. I also liked the Coke ad with the two border guards–unless, of course, there was a subliminal message in support of illegal immigration, amnesty, or the DREAM Act.

BuckeyeSam on February 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM

I played Black Ops instead of SB with no regrets.

Hening on February 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Also, was watching the game at a Stiller fan’s house, and he said she wore black because she’s from Pittsburgh… Black dress, yellow hair… unconfirmed, but interesting…

Khun Joe on February 7, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Nobody put a gun to your head.

As I’ve always argued, Exxon can’t put me in prison. That is, as much as leftists groan about oil companies (and anybody who makes a profit really), NONE of these companies wields the power of the federal government.

You laid down with the devil, Chrysler, now live with him.

mankai on February 7, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Was I the only one who was more pissed at whoever was in control of the soundboard and lighting during the halftime show? I swear, their mikes were cutting out, potted down too much, and half of the damned “V” in the “LOVE” platforms was burnt out. Who the hell was in charge there?

MadisonConservative on February 7, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I liked the Doritos ad… Sick and funny at the same time…

Khun Joe on February 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I liked the one with the pug.
I also thought the VW Beetle ad was cute because the little beetle bug was smiling. If I can ever GET MY LICENSE I’d like to get a ‘Bug’. It’s a cute chick car.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 7, 2011 at 10:04 AM

At least she didn’t try to “Cram it in the Boot” :-)

Dasher on February 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM

The SB SUCKED this year.

Awful half time show

awful commercials

blatantblue on February 7, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Loved the final score tho.

fossten on February 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Off to *Re-Education camp* to teach her how to sing the song properly. Hates people who throw their own version on the song..utterly makes my skin curl up, like running fingernails on the chalkboard.

hawkman on February 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM

CA changed the words to the Natl Anthem, next they’ll want to change the words to the Constitution. Maybe she should call our shyster in chief to handle that one.

Kissmygrits on February 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM

which is itself slang for usurious lenders backed with the threat of violence.

Mr. Marchionne was in a parking lot one day when a dark man wearing a suit walked up and offered him a car company at an unbelievable price. He eagerly reached into his wallet and bought the goods, which happened to have been stolen from a bunch of old folks over on Main Street. Now he complains about problems with the stuff he bought.

Good. I hope there’s even more problems before the dust settles.

unclesmrgol on February 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM

MadisonConservative on February 7, 2011 at 10:04 AM

You actually watched the halftime disaster previously touted as the greatest that would ever be? Man, they drag it on so long I’m surprised half the football players don’t cramp-up from the waiting.

Bishop on February 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Bishop on February 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Flew with my wife to Seattle one year for a seminar. Rented a Sebring convertible because I thought it would be cool. Damn seat had a raised plastic arch on the side that hurt my leg every time I got into the car. Terrible design. I couldn’t believe it – I had a bruise on my thigh after the weekend.

fossten on February 7, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Bishop on February 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Rarely watch football, so I figured I’d give it a chance. Besides, Fergie.

MadisonConservative on February 7, 2011 at 10:10 AM

The Pea-brained Black Eyes at half time were brutal. Especially the Maobama rap. Combining the musical chops of Milli Vanilli with the costumes of KiSS. Brutal.

james23 on February 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Ludicrous vocal flourishes says it well. I hate it when they do that to our heritage music. It’s very offensive.

To me, the ludicrous vocal flourishes are far more offensive than messing up the lyrics.

petefrt on February 7, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Does anyone know what rate he is paying?

right2bright on February 7, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I found the Jamie Kennedy prank(you may need Divx installed to view it). Give the dude props. He managed to sing all 4 verses of the anthem.

Doughboy on February 7, 2011 at 10:12 AM

As for Aiguilera–horrible. As soon as someone starts up with the Patti LaBelle styling of any song, I hit the clicker.

james23 on February 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Loved the final score tho.

fossten on February 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM

That was the worst part.

If your mother’s from Pittsburgh and you live near Chicago you just don’t. root. for. the. Packers.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM

james23 on February 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Me too. Can’t get to the clicker fast enough.

petefrt on February 7, 2011 at 10:14 AM

fossten on February 7, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I rented a Sebring convertible in Hawaii. The roof mechanism worked flawlessly but the check engine light was on the entire time we had it. The rental company told us if the car suddenly died they would provide another, apparently it was a normal occurrence.

Bishop on February 7, 2011 at 10:15 AM

So Ed hates Chrysler.

This is news?

One thing that can be counted on at Hotair: Just about any commercial from Mother Mopar is going to take some potshots from Ed.

As a Mopar guy all my life, while I’m philosophically opposed the the bailout, I’m glad there are still Mopars to buy, and I think Fiat’s doing a pretty good job with the legacy of the company, with new products, and with advertising.

That commercial was very well done.

To me, the biggest embarrassment of the Super Bowl was the condition of the field.

Typhoon on February 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Google Eminem lyrics.

What a stroke of genius, hiring white trash to promote the Chrysler and Detroit brands.

Akzed on February 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM

petefrt on February 7, 2011 at 10:12 AM

As I said earlier-it’s got to be sung straight.
My pipes aren’t as good as CA-but I’ve yet to hear a complaint about the way I’ve sung it.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I think that the guy from Shrysler makes a valid point… AKA.. ‘takes one to know one’.

RalphyBoy on February 7, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Leave Christina alone!

Knott Buyinit on February 7, 2011 at 10:19 AM

So Ed hates Chrysler.
Typhoon on February 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Seems he’s only one. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on February 7, 2011 at 10:20 AM

The chimps parking cars was the best commercial

chimps and car crushing is always great

Check out this video on YouTube:

Sent from my iPhone

Sonosam on February 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I played Black Ops instead of SB with no regrets.

Hening on February 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM

I stopped playing Black Ops to watch the SB. I regret it.

strictnein on February 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Seems he’s only one. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on February 7, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Seems he’s not the only one.
Preview is my friend.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I was napping, until she got the words wrong… it woke me right up! I don’t know why it made me angry but it did.

I’m happy Green Bay won… I could careless neither team is one I follow, but I had a neighbor in Phoenix who had Green Bay everything, down to the car in the drive and the towels in the kitchen.

So I cheered for my neighbor.

petunia on February 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Frankly, that spending and ungrateful behavior by the Chrysler CEO tells me that we ought to *increase* the payments they’re expected to pay.

I want us to get the government’s “investment” OUT of that company. Doing so will help pay down the deficit, a good chunk of which was incurred saving Chrysler and GM from their own stupidity and sweetheart deals for the UAW.

teke184 on February 7, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I dislike renditions of our anthem….just sing it the way it was written

cmsinaz on February 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Every playing of the Anthem is a rendition (in musical terms, a performance). What you mean is that you do not like embellishment in the rendition. It seems that the singing of the National Anthem at the Super Bowl has a .5 probability of something going wrong. At least she tried to sing it live — not recorded like a lot of other celebrities do. Of course, the advantage of recording is that it’s never gotten wrong…

unclesmrgol on February 7, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Ed, you missed the real irony:this is precisely the model that Obama’s stimulus follows – spend until you’re bankrupt and then demand more to avoid bankruptcy.

Don L on February 7, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Anyone else getting damned tired of hearing “the ARTISTS version”? I’m not interested in their ‘version’.

GarandFan on February 7, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Yes, Chrysler should not be allowed to make fantastic ads, expensive as they may be, and run them during the Super Bowl in an attempt to improve their brand image and hence sell more cars. We should prevent that so they fail completely and never pay us back a dime. Brilliant.

TheBigOldDog on February 7, 2011 at 10:26 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Me too. In fact, my version is so good that the dog always sings along.

unclesmrgol on February 7, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Aguillera pretty much delivered the performance I expected when I heard that she was singing the anthem. Hire her, or Mariah Carey, or any of their ilk, and that’s what you get.

It would have been far more surprising if she had sung it straight.

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 7, 2011 at 10:28 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 7, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Yeah, that was hilarious alright. Especially the last graphic, the one of the US flag with a swastika on it. Yeah, real funny stuff.

Typhoon on February 7, 2011 at 10:29 AM

TheBigOldDog on February 7, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Well then why not have them make a billion dollar ad…you have a difficult time with a simple analysis…
It’s the excess, not the ad…

right2bright on February 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Me too. In fact, my version is so good that the dog always sings along.

unclesmrgol on February 7, 2011 at 10:26 AM

My cats yowl when I practice my cantor music.
Everyone’s a critic.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 7, 2011 at 10:32 AM

It’s the excess, not the ad…

right2bright on February 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I’d don’t care what they spend or how they spend it. I care that they do what’s necessary to make a profit so they can pay back their loans. That’s the goal. Not controlling their activities or micromanaging their operations.

This is why governments have to stay out of private business. The citizens pressure the government to actually run the business and the politicians natural inclination is to control everything.

TheBigOldDog on February 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Leave Christina alone!

Knott Buyinit on February 7, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Tell Christina to get it right. Its a simple song. Unfortunately for her, the word “booty” doesn’t appear in it anywhere, so she is unable to relate to it in any way.

BobMbx on February 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I knew she’d yodel through it and left the room as she began. I heard enough to know I was right. I can’t stand modern pop “artists.”

CantCureStupid on February 7, 2011 at 10:36 AM

unclesmrgol on February 7, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Credit where its due: She did sing it acapella (sp?), so there was no hiding behind the drums or cannons.

BobMbx on February 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM

The SB SUCKED this year.

Awful half time show

awful commercials

blatantblue on February 7, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Ah but the game was good!

dczombie on February 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM

It’s the excess, not the ad…

right2bright on February 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM

PS – Go tell every company that runs Super Bowl ads that it’s “excessive.” They’ll laugh at you. Especially companies like GoDaddy who’s business was made by “excessive” Super Bowl ads.

I remember F. Ross Johnson, then CEO of RJR Nabisco, saying something like, “Every penny you think I’m pissing away here, comes back to us dressed up like a nickel.”

The attitude that marketing and advertising spending is excessive or frivolous among the population is an interesting phenomenon given how America is built upon it.

TheBigOldDog on February 7, 2011 at 10:42 AM

The SB SUCKED this year.

Awful half time show

awful commercials

blatantblue on February 7, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Ah but the game was good!

dczombie on February 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM

There was a game too?

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 7, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Free market forces work at the Super Bowl too. They can charge $5M to run an ad becuase history shows it’s worth it to the advertiser. And history shows it’s worth it for those advertisers to make memorable ads. For example, the Apple 1984 Ad ran once during SB XVIII yet it’s still talked about to this day.

Those same forces make Rush Limbaugh wealthy. His ad rates are high b/c history shows it’s worth every penny b/c every one comes back dressed up like a nickle.

TheBigOldDog on February 7, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Speaking of interceptions, the difference in the game was…

“The Green Bay Packers defense defeated Ben Rothlisberger in the film room before the game began.” – Trevor Matich, ESPN Analyst

WordsMatter on February 7, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Cactus Cuties were booked elsewhere?

The problem with pop stars is that they usually aren’t very good at singing. They can perform, they can have their voice digitially altered in the recording studio, they can dress like strippers, etc… but sing?

The girl from Glee was 1000 times better than a world famous “pop star”. Maybe she’s famoous, too – I had to ask my wife who it was.

Like I posted in the open thread, still my favorite “improv” version.

reaganaut on February 7, 2011 at 10:52 AM

C’mon folks, did anyone really think that Christina would sing the anthem correctly? I mean, her whole act is over the top vocalizations. I save myself the agita and don’t even watch the tv until kickoff.

As far as the Chrysler ad goes, wouldn’t it have been funny if instead of Eminem driving around downtown, they showed the devastated “farmland” of the surrounding area.

walkingboss on February 7, 2011 at 10:52 AM

TheBigOldDog on February 7, 2011 at 10:48 AM

The point, you miss it.

It’s not that Chrysler spent $9 million on the commercial that’s the problem. It’s that they did so, on the taxpayer’s dime, and the company still has the gall to piss and moan about the installment costs they’re paying on the sweetheart deal they got from the government.

That kind of attitude rankles people like myself who weren’t happy with giving Chrysler a bailout to begin with, let alone one structured to give certain players like the UAW a better deal at the expense of secured creditors.

teke184 on February 7, 2011 at 10:53 AM

At what point did all this caterwauling become considered singing? It’s everywhere and is what passes for singing theses days. Just watch any episode of American Idol. These “singers” sound more like cats in heat.

Big John on February 7, 2011 at 10:56 AM

The ad was upsetting – reminded me of how ODumbAss gave all that bailout money to the unions. They are the ones who own GM and Chrysler now, are they not? Did not the original creditors get shafted?

And I was disgusted by Aguilera’s performance.

dogsoldier on February 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM