Live: Palin’s address at Reagan Center

posted at 10:00 pm on February 4, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Sarah Palin provides the opening speech for the Young America’s Foundation event at the Reagan Center, celebrating the centennial of Ronald Reagan. Tomorrow will be Dick Cheney’s turn, as he concludes the two-day retrospective on the nation’s 40th President. YAF will broadcast the speech live through its Ustream channel starting at 11 pm ET, so we’ll set up the post as an open thread for Hot Air readers who want to watch the speech.

Not everyone is a fan of this idea.  For instance, the man who just promoted his new book by claiming Reagan was suffering from Alzheimer’s in office — despite an avalanche of denials from doctors, aides, and even Barbara Walters — says the notion offends him:

But his son, Ron Reagan, tells The Associated Press he doesn’t see anything in common between his dad and the 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate, who was invited to speak by the event’s sponsor, the conservative Young America’s Foundation.

Sarah Palin is a soap opera, basically. She’s doing mostly what she does to make money and keep her name in the news,” Reagan says.

“She is not a serious candidate for president and never has been,” said Reagan, a political independent whose politics lean left.

Er, sure, dude.  He writes a gossipy book about his own father with the sensational allegation of dementia in office, and Palin’s the “soap opera.”  Riiiiiight.  Want to bet that more people watch this speech than buy Ron’s book?  Right now, two weeks after its release, it’s at … #594 on Amazon.

Live Streaming by Ustream.TV

Update: I wrote Reagan Ranch, but of course it’s at the Reagan Center.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

My gut tells me Rick Perry will be her first choice. That one makes the most sense. They are good friends, share a philosophy of small federal government, and states rights.

Two solid EXPERIENCED CEOs on one ticket would be unstoppable.

gary4205 on February 5, 2011 at 2:25 PM

This scenario makes the most sense to me also. A Palin/Perry ticket would be super-strong.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Thank you! Bookmarking it.

Missy on February 5, 2011 at 3:41 PM

You’re welcome. Happy to help.

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 4:02 PM

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 3:49 PM

While this duo would look very appealing to Tea Party Movement type conservatives(include myself), how does it broaden her appeal? Generally speaking a candidate would try and balance the ticket with a complimentary type, not a clone. I’m not saying that you are wrong, just curious.

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 4:13 PM

They come into a thread, smash Palin, and than say that anyone who responds to them are a cult following ‘Nista. Then they pine on about how badly they get treated by Palin supporters and whine louder until other Anti-Palin martyrs come to the rescue.

portlandon on February 5, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I’ve said this before but it bears repeating. All the people so busy bashing Palin and her supporters seem to forget that if she doesn’t run or doesn’t get the nomination and their choice does, they’re going to want Palin’s base to get behind that white bread boring guy. Insulting people and calling them stupid is NOT the way to do that. If they were any smarter than libs they’d let the nomination process play out and hope Palin looks bad during the debates.

Some people seem so eager to court those lovely moderates and Independents and apparently think Palin supporters will be good little children and hold their noses once again vote for a squish because the anybody but Palin people think it’s important. The Palin supporters will be expected to forget being insulted and called stupid when the GOP wants their vote. Some may oblige but their support may also be half-hearted.

katiejane on February 5, 2011 at 4:42 PM

katiejane on February 5, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Zackly.

Geochelone on February 5, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I was slightly disappointed by the speech. I don’t believe she developed her points along a line of focus and emphases and force. It was too conversational and sing-song a compilation. I found myself drifting. She needs to find her gravity. She needs to bear down. I know she can.

rrpjr on February 5, 2011 at 5:07 PM

rrpjr on February 5, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Palin had about 3-5 really good policy speeches cooking within this one speech. I think she is painting with broad strokes right now, and each stroke is on the right side of constitutional conservatism. I think she can, will and has to expand on these themes….time will tell….

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM

rrpjr on February 5, 2011 at 5:07 PM

She was there to honor President Reagan. It wasn’t the time or place to get into the finer points. She did a great job of painting a larger picture, highlighting Reagan’s principles, their success when applied, and their relevance to our current situation. Expect much more focus and elaboration in future speeches and writings.

As for her tone, I thought it was well suited to the audience and the occasion. If you didn’t think it was emphatic or forceful enough, then I don’t know what speech you were watching.

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 5:36 PM

rrpjr on February 5, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I won’t say that I was disappointed, I agree that it wasn’t
her finest. As to the rest of your points, I’m wondering if
the small venue and crowd put her off of her game? I’m used to seeing her in front of large enthusiastic crowds, so maybe it’s just me?

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 5:40 PM

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 5:36 P

Out of curiosity, where did you watch? I watched a replay on
C-Span and the quality was horrible in my opinion. Possibly
that is affecting my judgment.

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Georgetown Law Professor Randy Barnett on Governor Palin’s Speech: “Reaganesque Even

Geochelone on February 5, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Out of curiosity, where did you watch? I watched a replay on C-Span and the quality was horrible in my opinion. Possibly that is affecting my judgment.

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 5:47 PM

First I watched here:

I think the sound quality was okay. Probably better than C-SPAN.

But then I watched here:

The quality wasn’t as good, but this clip included Kate Obenshain’s introduction of the Governor, which was missing in the previous version and I think is worth watching.

I will grant that the speech started off a little bit slow, but it didn’t take too long for Palin to hit her stride. I think there were some choice quotes, especially in the latter half. And the delivery was mostly excellent.

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 5:54 PM

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 3:49 PM

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 4:13 PM

In November 2010, Sarah Palin, the Tea Party and constitutional conservatives brought home the most historic turnover of seats throughout all levels of govt. since the 1930′s. This was not achieved by a group that represented “broad appeal” – no, it was the Tea Party and constitutional conservatives, which represented and represents a laser focus return to constitutional conservatism, respect for life and an end to the Federal stranglehold on American lives, especially through unjust taxation and regulation.

Nothing succeeds like success, they say. Rick Perry would fit with the Palin/TP/constitutional conservative formula for success like a hand in a glove. As to those who need to be placated or appealed to: they would be rinos, gop establishment and “moderates”, no? These are the people who have tried to destroy Palin along with the Left. No one with any sense has time for them. Rinos, moderates and the gop establishment had nothing to do with the November tsunami, in fact, they tried to prevent it. They will remain true to destructive form for 2012. They signalled that loud and clear when they let Palin twist in the wind after Tuscon.

We can’t let them drag the message or momentum downward at this critical juncture. 2010 is the mandate. Forge ahead playing to our mandate. We must build and move from strength to strength. And mods, rinos and the establishment gop need to get with the program or get out of the way. Because 2012 is as serious as a heart attack and these political hacks and hangers-on aren’t going to pick either POTUS or VPOTUS this time. No more McCains, no more Doles, no more Bushes.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Thank you for filling out your point of you.

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 6:05 PM

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 5:54 PM

I think Palin is laying down definitive markers and she’ll double back in later speeches to lay down detailed policy in regard to these markers, i.e, the Feds killing the CA central valley, energy, the middle class destruction, our “insane” debt level, etc.

Right now she’s staking her territory and she’ll develop/expand as appropriate for her timeline. She has consistently spoken since ’08, whereas Mittens, the Huckleberry and others have hidden away not having the courage to utter a peep, while Sarah has hammered away. She also has called her army of Davids to arms and has handed the mantle of Reagan to all- super smart – there is so much packed into one speech, it really does take more than one listen to get it all. Her delivery was a little off pace for her, but anyone can have a not so great day.
The content more than makes up for the not quite spot-on delivery, imo.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Someone on this thread has accused Gov Palin as being a Celebrity.

Well Ronald Reagan was a celebrity. So Eat That.

Geochelone on February 5, 2011 at 6:12 PM

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Thank you for filling out your point of you.

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 6:05 PM

You’re very welcome.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:11 PM

The Twerp has become something of a Tramster.

Geochelone on February 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

The Twerp has become something of a Tramster.

Geochelone on February 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Tramster? Please define.

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Thanks for the links. Yes I saw the Kate Obenshain intro,
maintain competitiveness. Anyway, I’m looking forward to hearing the Gov’s solutions.

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Precisely. It’s kind of like she’s laying out her campaign blueprint.

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Geochelone on February 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

true dat.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Thank you for filling out your point of youview.

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 6:05 PM

What an idiot, sorry.

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Precisely. It’s kind of like she’s laying out her campaign blueprint.

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

you betcha.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Tramster? Please define.

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

O its one of Tigerlily’s neologisms.

She and I have this ongoing, and very amusing, dialog (at least to ourselves) about hamsters running on treadmills; like trams. They spin their wheels. Hence Tramsters. Its all chronicled on this thread a couple of pages back.

Geochelone on February 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I won’t say that I was disappointed, I agree that it wasn’t
her finest. As to the rest of your points, I’m wondering if

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I was wondering the same thing. It’s not a big deal, but there it is.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:31 PM

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:11 PM

She is supposed to be giving a speech in the San Joaquin on May 1. The epicenter of what once was CAs booming agriculture.

Its been wrecked by Lib policies. Largely enviromaxism.

Geochelone on February 5, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Geochelone on February 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I like.

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Geochelone on February 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM

also, it’s a conflation of the term “troll”, whose purpose is to hijack threads while wasting other commenters’ time by getting them to argue endlessly with them; and like “hamsters”, entincing said commenters into their endlessly spinning, yet going nowhere, hamster wheels.
Ergo, hamster + troll = “tramster”

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Its been wrecked by Lib policies. Largely enviromaxism.

Geochelone on February 5, 2011 at 6:31 PM

That will be the opportunity for her to give a barnburner.
The travesty of what the feds did to the families, generations of farmers, orchards …. not to mention the food shortages and price spikes nationally and internationally caused by this. The Central Valley produces an insane amount of food for the nation and the world. She can tie in the Latin community, many farmers of this ethnicity, and she can nail obama to the wall as the central control destroyer of the American middle class, independent businesses…etc., This should be off the charts. Watch for an AllahP blackout!! :)

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM

And when said hamster trolls continually spout bogus poll numbers, do they become “trollsters?”

Speaking of hamsters

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 6:45 PM

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Wouldn’t it be funny if it became part of the internet vernacular?

Geochelone on February 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Thanks for the links. Yes I saw the Kate Obenshain intro,
it was worth watching, I agree. There is a topic that I’m looking forward to hearing more of; Corporate Cronyism.I have long contended that this is why Federalism is so important. As it stands now it’s one stop shopping for big corporations and special interests. With states having more power it would at least force them to deal with 50 different governments. I realize the potential negative side effects and that solutions would be required to

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

imho, the term “corporate cronyism” is a little too mild and evokes no legitimate outrage, nor understanding of what it is by it’s own terminology, nor any visceral reation.

Same with the term “crony capitalism”. Firstly, there is nothing capitalistic about what is going on with obama’s policies. They are straight out of the socialist/communist handbook. I would like to see Palin use the term “obama’s crony socialism”. I hope she’s waiting to spring it.

As for “corporate cronyism”, if she’s referring to the generational debt and theft that the government has perpetrated by granting multi-hundreds of billions of dollars to private corporations and banks, i.e., G.E., AIG, Goldmann Sachs, as well as international banks, all of these private businesses that need to go under if they have blown it, or need to find their own funds for “green projects” or to survive, then she needs to call this what it is. The People have been looted.

If any of us owned a business and made business decisions that would take our businesses out, do you think we could steal the money to make up for our malfeasance/poor judgement from our neighbors? If not, then why should obama’s pals be able to have obama steal the money from us to give to them? This looting is nothing short of criminal, unconstitutionally legalized by political criminals.

imo, “Corporate cronyism” should be translated to: “the unconstitutional transfer of The Peoples’ money to private businesses”.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 7:02 PM

That will be the opportunity for her to give a barnburner.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM

The travesty of it all is that it seems to receive no attention. I read VDH’s report of a drive through that
he did and the devastation that he saw and that is it.
Oh, and now I remember Hannity to a show on it but I believe that that was before the consequences.

I agree, she should be able to tear Obama up.

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Speaking of hamsters…

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Yes. “trollsters” would be the bogus types whose polls from their questionable samplings and sources our own AllahP displays here from time to time…

P.S. dancing hamsters were cute….now if we could find a rabid one to represent barackalicious….(that’s a tramster here who goes by the audiculous handle but who Key West named barackalicious. Too funny)

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 7:09 PM

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Wouldn’t it be funny if it became part of the internet vernacular?

Geochelone on February 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Yeah. I’ve always wondered how popular terms come and go.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 7:10 PM

II watched Sarah Palin’s speech on C-Span and was very annoyed with the sound that kept fading in and out.
Perhaps there was something going on with the mic that distracted her in the beginning – then she got in stride.
Her speech was very good; portions had timing that was off
as far as voice inflection and pausing for applause. The
end of the speech was a little disjointed I thought.

There are some who are critical because they want her to
fail; others are critical because they want her to succeed.

For me, a speech is just a speech – words. What I want
to see is someone “walking the talk”. Look at Palin’s
18-20 year record in government service and as a small
business owner with husband, Todd. Compare that with
other candidate’s records and business experience. Comments
for or against should be backed with facts or they should have no value.

Amjean on February 5, 2011 at 7:11 PM

The travesty of it all is that it seems to receive no

attention. I read VDH’s report of a drive through that
he did and the devastation that he saw and that is it.

I agree, she should be able to tear Obama up.

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Yes, the California Central Valley destruction is Soviet Union level destruction. They have turned the Central Valley into Chernobyl. I don’t use that term lightly. The government literally destroyed businesses, families, lands and economies, because they could. And the fish was just the flimsiest of covers. It is pure, tyranncial, raw and unconstitutional; the worst of untethered Federal power at work. IOW, tailor made for obama.

The Central Valley is the preview for the nation. I hope Palin gets into all of this too.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 7:16 PM

P.S. “ADHD” Hannity needs to go back there and while Glenn Beck has already done about five shows on a midwest town’s food pantry, self-help program, prayer program etc., he has yet to go to the Central Valley. Beck needs to get out there ASAP. This story has not been told and it must be.
Over and over and over.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 7:19 PM

This story has not been told and it must be.
Over and over and over.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 7:19 PM

If anyone can make sure that the Central Valley’s story is not forgotten, it’s Sarah.

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Over and over and over.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I could not agree more!

P. Monk on February 5, 2011 at 7:26 PM

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I have to say, audiculous is one of my favorite tramsteres. Right up there with crr6 and rickyricardo. Any aliases for them yet?

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Anyone know for sure what time Dick Cheney is on? I thought they said come back at 5:30 on the ustream feed but MM says it is 10:30 EST at her site. So there’s 2 hour discrepancy (since 5:30 in CA is 8:30 EST).

gh on February 5, 2011 at 7:28 PM

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Not that I know of. However, perhaps all of these tramsters could go by the alias “barackalicious”, thereby denying them the individual infamy that they crave and reinforcing their lockstep, borg-like, unable to reason independent of the Leftist plantation, existances.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 7:42 PM

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Their existence is futile. They have been assimilated.

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Never mind … the video feed shows them setting up for dinner. So MM is likely correct.

gh on February 5, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Their existence is futile. They have been assimilated.

steebo77 on February 5, 2011 at 7:48 PM

not insane, but worse: hussein.

tigerlily on February 5, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Video just started: 9:45 EST.

gh on February 5, 2011 at 9:44 PM

CSPAN feed of Dick Cheney is back.

Philly on February 5, 2011 at 11:02 PM

DS, do you think Palin supporters are cultists? Just curious. :)

Geochelone on February 5, 2011 at 3:17 PM

NO I do not!..:)

Dire Straits on February 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Geochelone on February 5, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I was wishing alt congrats on her move to a new place when I said “Sounds good”..:)

Dire Straits on February 5, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Dire Straits on February 5, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Hey rabble rouser, where’s alt moving to — tejas or cheese land?

Gohawgs on February 6, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Hey rabble rouser, where’s alt moving to — tejas or cheese land?

Gohawgs on February 6, 2011 at 12:02 AM

LOL!..She is moving to tejas!..:)

Dire Straits on February 6, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Dire Straits on February 6, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Good for her, a little plateau living should do her good…Not to mention the oil pumps, cotton fields and no state income tax…

Gohawgs on February 6, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Gohawgs on February 6, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Bummer that there is no QOTD post..:(

Dire Straits on February 6, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Ed’s old, he goes to bed early…

Gohawgs on February 6, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Ed’s old, he goes to bed early…

Gohawgs on February 6, 2011 at 12:57 AM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on February 6, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Gohawgs on February 6, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Looks like the Palin clothes thread is fixing to pick up steam..:)

Dire Straits on February 6, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Dire Straits on February 6, 2011 at 1:01 AM

riduculous, aka the lil drummer boy, is a waste of my time. Kinda reminds me of gotnolife or notaboy, they type just for effect and to see their words in print…

Gohawgs on February 6, 2011 at 2:27 AM