Gabrielle Gifford’s Husband Expresses Newfound Faith

posted at 9:30 am on February 4, 2011 by John Sexton

Gabrielle Gifford’s husband Mark Kelly spoke at the National Prayer Breakfast yesterday. In his brief speech he expressed his own turn to faith to support him during the most difficult time of his life:

I was telling Gabby just the other night, two nights ago, that you know maybe this event, this terrible event, maybe it was fate. I hadn’t been a big believer in fate until recently. I thought the world just spins and the clock just ticks and things happen for no particular reason. But from space, far above that traffic on the New Jersey turnpike, you have an entirely different perspective of life on our planet. It’s humbling to see the earth as God created it in the context of God’s vast universe…

He closed his talk with an appeal to prayer. Although the words were a bit jumbled his meaning and sincerity were clear:

God bless you and please, please, please continue to keep Gabby’s thoughts and prayers in your heart. It is really helping.

Gabrielle Giffords condition continues to improve at a rehab center in Houston.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

I see where Kelly will command the final Shuttle flight in August.

The best of times – the worst of times.

jake-the-goose on February 4, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Well good for him.

Now if only my wife’s church didn’t insist on having the band sing 15 songs before the service even starts, I might attend too.

Bishop on February 4, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Democrats hardest hit?

SouthernGent on February 4, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Prayer. It does a body (and a soul) good.

pugwriter on February 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM

How about the families and relatives of the victims that didn’t survive?

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM

His class and grace are refreshing.

forest on February 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Tough decision to make … fly the very last shuttle mission … or … stay with injured wife in the hospital.

Tony737 on February 4, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Bishop on February 4, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I don’t mind the “warm-up band” before mass. I’ll take that over the boring, lame-ass priest’s homilies. How I wish we could trade him for a Baptist preacher just for that part. It’s the same New Testament, but the Baptists know how to bring it.

SKYFOX on February 4, 2011 at 9:44 AM

How about the families and relatives of the victims that didn’t survive?

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM

They’re of little use to the Dems/msm.

artist on February 4, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Keep building on that faith Mark, it’s a free Shuttle pass to eternal life.

Rovin on February 4, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Stories like these should have been the media’s focus right from the beginning. Stories about the families and the victims would have naturally been a part of the focus if the MSM would have not been on its immoral and malicious mission to pin this on Sarah Palin and conservative talk radio. I am not forgetting what they did not, and I am not accepting lame apologies from them.

Thanks for posting this, John.

mwbri on February 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I wonder why Maureen Roll wasn’t invited to speak as well? Assuming she was even invited as a guest./

andycanuck on February 4, 2011 at 10:05 AM

There was a scrawl on Fox the other day from Commander Kelly saying Rep. Giffords had had a huge day but they didn’t expand on it. I am so glad she continues to improve and at what appears to be an almost miraculous rate. I am sure his faith has helped.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Bishop on February 4, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Go late. Lose a shoe.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Ed, the congresswoman’s (and her husband’s) name is Giffords, not Gifford.

TouchingTophet on February 4, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Christopher Hitchens laughs at this man’s faith.

pseudonominus on February 4, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Keep building on that faith Mark, it’s a free Shuttle pass to eternal life.

Rovin on February 4, 2011 at 9:48 AM

This.

Bob's Kid on February 4, 2011 at 10:16 AM

As an atheist, I would just say that I hope he finds the hope, comfort, peace of mind or whatever else it is that he is looking for from the exercise of his faith.

MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I think astronauts, when they are in space looking down at the Earth, have a more distinct view of God than any of the rest of us ever could.

princetrumpet on February 4, 2011 at 10:20 AM

First his disabled wife is made a propaganda tool by the foul leftist democrat party and now he is finding time to jet to washington. His wife is lying in a bed trying to learn how to not drool and he is off making speaches. Next year when it is revealed that she has “decided” not to run for reelection, guess who will run for her seat. Shameful and disgusting.

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:25 AM

princetrumpet on February 4, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Funny, but when I look at pictures of earth from space I see in the imagery the greatest refutation of religion. I see the smallness of our lonely planet and the its insignificance to the cosmos. I find it to be the supreme act of hubris to think that the vastness of our universe was created for or cares in the least about us tiny bits of hydrogen, oxygen and carbon.

MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM

And she is…just because you don’t want someone’s ideas to succeed, doesn’t mean you can’t wish them well, and a peaceful and fulfilling life…may it happen to her and her family.

right2bright on February 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:25 AM

So let me get this straight. You are now condemning this man for committing the future crime of running for his wife’s office? Why don’t you relax and wait until AFTER he commits this horrible offense to humanity?

MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM

had had a huge day

she continues to improve and at what appears to be an almost miraculous rate

I’m sorry Cindy, but they won’t even photograph her face. This horrible crime has been turned into a horrible propaganda story. My prayer is that her care will not be compromised by her value to the leftists as a tragedy. She will never cast a vote in congress again.

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM

MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I am condemning, and not falling for, the lefts use of a horrible crime and this victim to attack innocent Americans. If my wife was incapacitated in a bed and I did not have to go to work to pay the bills I would not be flying across the country to give a speach and having a press conference to let people know when I am going back to work. So yes, I guess I am condemning him for not keeping his priorities straight.

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Go late. Lose a shoe.
Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 10:08 AM

They sing 15 songs at the end too.

Bishop on February 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM

MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM

And I can’t question his actions or intentions but you can question the intentions of most of the people on the planet?

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:35 AM

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:25 AM

You are a fool…this was at a National Prayer Breakfast, he was asked to give a speech on hope and living through tragedy.
I have a feeling, by your post, that you have done neither, that no one would ever consider you to give a speech on hope.
Really, sometimes you kids should sit down, and learn humility…learn about pain and suffering, learn that at times you reach out and comfort each other.

right2bright on February 4, 2011 at 10:36 AM

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Did Kelly participate in the scurrilous Leftist accusations? I fail to see why you should scandalize this man aside from your own raging ideological hatred. You are not in his shoes and you have no f–king standing to tell him how to deal with his grief.

MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Bishop on February 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I got nothing!

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM

So yes, I guess I am condemning him for not keeping his priorities straight.

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:33 AM

More stupid, you have no idea what the National Prayer Breakfast is, do you?

right2bright on February 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Tony737 on February 4, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I hope you are being sarcastic because I don’t see any decision at all.

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM

More stupid, you have no idea what the National Prayer Breakfast is, do you?

And his wife is benefitted how?

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:39 AM

MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM

And because you are angry and empty you have no right to question anyone else’s faith?

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Easy, easy! You’ll never have the peace you wish for if you tear up your insides with visions of the future like that.

Vince on February 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM

reach out and comfort each other.
right2bright on February 4, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Right, Giffords and his wife were left alone to deal with this, right, no one reached out to them to support them, right, millions of Americans haven’t said prayers for them, right. Maybe people like you think that people who are dealing with tragedy need to go public, you probably spend a lot of time watching reality tv, but there are still those believe in dignity and quiet strength.

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Scientific studies show that prayer helps the sick. Even if it’s all in our heads, doesn’t that make it worthwhile?

hawksruleva on February 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Go late. Lose a shoe.
Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 10:08 AM
They sing 15 songs at the end too.

Bishop on February 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Leave early.

Vince on February 4, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Belief in fate or in a general idea of “God” is not enough.

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life…He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is already condemned, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.” — John 3:16, 18

“If you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.” — Romans 10:9

“Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life: He who believes in Me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. And whosoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?’” — John 11:25-26

I do. Do you?

KyMouse on February 4, 2011 at 10:47 AM

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I realize that a lot your anger is justified, they are the ones who tried to pin this on conservatives and Tea Parties right out of the gate. It is hard to get past being called an accessory or promoter of murder. From what I have seen about this lady, she is a decent woman who really did try to represent her constituents the best she could. Remember that she was targeted, for a lack of a better word, by her own party because she is to moderate. And even if she was a flaming liberal, I could still only wish the best for her. As for a photo of her face, that would be a deeply personal decision, I will bow to her or her family’s wishes. As for her husband getting a sympathy seat in Congress, that’s for the people of her district to decide. I have faith in the people, even when they get it wrong.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Vince on February 4, 2011 at 10:46 AM

We’re getting to obvious here. Earplugs?

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM

visions of the future like that.

What does the future have to do with it? It is the present. Reality is what the left determines it should and communicates it through the msm and a large portion of America accepts it. They gave a state funeral to ted kennedy. charlie rangel got reelected. barrack obama is president.

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:50 AM

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Depending on how cognizant she is, if it were me, I would want him to go. This is his job, his duty and his passion coming to an end, she’ll be there when he gets back.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Bishop, you know those 15 songs have a purpose, don’t you?

cjtony97 on February 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Well, we certainly aren’t perfect are we? What would be blog about if these things didn’t happen?

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 10:55 AM

And they have not stopped, Cindy. They are still pushing the “talk radio as the cause” meme. This morning on bill bennett, michael gerson was talking about how sincere obama was in avowing his faith at the same breakfast and how gerson thought obama made a great connection with evangelical Americans. That evangelicals fell for it is likely true in alot of cases but if the country was not under the thumb of the left then someone in the next press conference would ask barry where in the scheme of things did his enthusiastic fight against giving aid and comfort to babies who survived abortions fall in context to his conversion? This was the same prayer breakfast where Giffords husband spoke. This was the same prayer breakfast where barry chose not to espouse his deep spirituality last year. No matter what people wanted the prayer breakfast to be, it was a propaganda event for a president who doesn’t even have a church after being in washington for two years.

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM

How about the families and relatives of the victims that didn’t survive?

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM

They need prayers also and I hope their perspective would change if they do not agree Mark Kelly that there is a God and the evil in this world does not change that, but gives us the hope that it will not get the last word and is not in vain.

RonDelDon on February 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM

It’s kind of interesting (if irrelevant), but Kelly and Giffords don’t share a religion.

YYZ on February 4, 2011 at 11:00 AM

It’s reassuring to know all the genocide, rape, abortion, torture, war, cancer, etc. is not just random and that God is overseeing it all.

deewhybee on February 4, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Cindy, she was shot through the head. A few days ago I heard one of the doctors from the center where she is staying slip up and say “Thought and speach are the last things to return in this type of injury.”

his duty and his passion

I have no doubt that if you ask your husband tonite what he thinks his duty and passion is he will tell you that it is you and your children.

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM

How about the families and relatives of the victims that didn’t survive?

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM

They’re of little use to the Dems/msm.

artist on February 4, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Hey, geniuses. See that little picture up there on your screen? That’s actually a video (with audio) from a site called Youtube. You may want to listen to it before spouting off.

YYZ on February 4, 2011 at 11:04 AM

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I think most of us know that everything is a propaganda event for this president. To annoy the non-believers on the site, this is when God shows up and makes the truth known. Now if only people will notice.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:05 AM

deewhybee on February 4, 2011 at 11:01 AM

What’s comforting is that He’s there to comfort and guide us when all those horrible things happen.

cjtony97 on February 4, 2011 at 11:08 AM

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM

You are probably right about what my husband would say and I am still right about what I would want him to do. I think that’s the very essence of marriage, both partners wanting the other to be happy. For some reason, based on nothing, I am more optimistic about her. But as I have said before, in a barn full of sh!t, I know there is a pony in there somewhere.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:05 AM

You’ll let me know when she does show up, won’t you? I’d hate to miss it :-)

MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM

YYZ on February 4, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Hey genius.

The point wasn’t about the media or Dems using anybody for anything.

It was about “newfound faith.” I’d be interested to know if any of the families of the victims who didn’t survive had this newfound faith.

That’s all.

I’m glad she’s recovering. I give credit to the fabulous doctors she had.

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM

this is when God shows up and makes the truth known

Cindy, I agree 100% with you there. I just think that the husband should be at her side protecting her in the meanwhile. For rational, humane Americans politics stopped the minute that madman pulled the trigger. This woman should be allowed to travel the road in front of her now without a political party using her for their own purposes.

I’ve got to get to work. Sorry I missed you guys last week but I’m going to keep a look out for when the band plays again and try to visit.

By the way, this post reminds me of a joke; If there is an atheist and a theist in a room how do you know which is which?

The atheist is preaching.

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 11:12 AM

RonDelDon on February 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM

This is what I was getting at.

Why weren’t their lives important enough to be spared? What is it that makes this life “so miserable” that ridding somebody of it – even if its 9-year-old girl – is somehow “OK” because, um, they’ll get a better deal in “another life?”

Seem like a raw deal for those on the receiving end, and those related to them.

The atheist is preaching.

Atheists don’t preach.

They question.

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 11:15 AM

The atheist is preaching.

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Laugh on Skippy, but if you look at this thread, you’ll see the atheists wishing them well and encouraging others to allow them to process their grief in their own way. You’re the pig-headed preacher boy telling them how to live their lives and deal with this tragedy.

MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 11:16 AM

MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM

I see God everywhere I look so the updates would be continual and I am sure insufficient to your requirements. And now I am going to annoy my fellow believers by telling you that I have no desire to change your mind about your beliefs. You are an adult, you know the scoop, you are on your own.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Atheists don’t preach.

You’re funny! Take a look in the mirror.

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 11:17 AM

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I hope we can meet soon also, although it doesn’t seem fair that noise and a cover charge should be involved. We need to come up with a different plan.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:18 AM

YYZ on February 4, 2011 at 11:00 AM

But they do share a God.

txmomof6 on February 4, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Those 15 “warm up songs” before service are part of the service. It’s called, “worship!”

CH on February 4, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Those are tough questions indeed. Turn it around and add the lives of children living because of the organ donations. I’m not a believer in the preordained but in free will.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:22 AM

But I can turn it around again and point to children who die even after getting organ transplants.

Now we’re just picking and choosing what we want to scribe to the “divine” – and seem to be ignoring all the bad things. Counting the hits and ignoring the misses, so to speak.

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:22 AM
Well said

txmomof6 on February 4, 2011 at 11:25 AM

you’ll see the atheists wishing them well and encouraging others to allow them to process their grief in their own way. MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 11:16 AM

I think the argument is that “their own way” seems to involve a lot of public posturing. I don’t have a problem with that, because I am interested in her progress, but I wouldn’t feel that way if I was a high profile victim. All of these are just differences in human behavior and should be understandable.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM

No one is ignoring the “misses”, the two things are magnified by the type of person counting. Everyone sees what they want to see.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM

You’ll let me know when she does show up, won’t you? I’d hate to miss it :-)

MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Oh, you won’t.

darwin-t on February 4, 2011 at 11:34 AM

They sing 15 songs at the end too.

Bishop on February 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Drop a note in the collection basket letting them know that you would enjoy less music and more message. Also suggest that you may even bring friends to church next Sunday. I worked at my little church.

darwin-t on February 4, 2011 at 11:38 AM

…no one reached out to them to support them,…

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I guess you don’t understand…a husband comforting his wife is different from other people.
You seem to be about 24 years old…you seem to miss the context of what the Prayer Breakfast is all about…this is a good time for kids like you to sit back and read and educate yourself on humility, love, prayer, support…and try to understand that in the future, when faced with these type of events, your life and perspective will change, until then, you are what you are, a naive, youthful kid, full of P!ss and vinegar.

right2bright on February 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM

In the case of the believer ascribing a speedy recovery of one individual to faith/divine intervention, they have to be reminded that this didn’t apply to everyone in that horrible tragedy, for some reason.

Aren’t you conceding that you’re just seeing what you want to see, and that you’re ignoring the rest?

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Oh, you won’t.

darwin-t on February 4, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Is that supposed to scare somebody?

As with, you know, a threat?

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 11:42 AM

deewhybee on February 4, 2011 at 11:01 AM

cjtony97 on February 4, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I’m glad to know God was there comforting and guiding all those kids that ended up in John Wayne Gacy’s crawlspace.

deewhybee on February 4, 2011 at 11:43 AM

right2bright on February 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM

He is an adult man with older children. He also has an opinion and his own set of priorities. I disagree with some of them myself but managed not to insult him.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:45 AM

MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM

When seen from the dry, airless, and dead Moon, and compared with the toxic atmospheres of other planets, the Earth appears exceptionally beautiful with its abundant oceans and rich, luxuriant life, and suggests that it had a special purpose in the unfathomable mind of the creator.

Maybe He created the other dead worlds so that we could truly appreciate the wonderful home He gave us.

Steve Z on February 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM
deewhybee on February 4, 2011 at 11:43 AM

God is a good God, so everything good comes from Him. Bad things come because there is an enemy and the fallen nature of the world. But He uses even the bad things to serve His purposes. You don’t have to like it. It’s just the way it is. So, rail against it all you want. Nobody’s stopping you.

cjtony97 on February 4, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 11:41 AM

No more or less than you are. That’s why the debates are pretty much useless. For me, the difference is that I have no intention of trying to insult you. If there is no God, than your concern for inequity and my embrace of all they we have been given is moot.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:50 AM

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Have you thought that she wants him to go?

ladyingray on February 4, 2011 at 11:57 AM

And that purpose, in the infinite reaches and regions of all the universe, on this tiny rock in our remote corner of the universe, with our humble little branch of the evolutionary tree in the great web of life here, could be…what?

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:45 AM

That’s because you are a nice person.

ladyingray on February 4, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:50 AM

We both embrace life, to be sure – we just arrive at the embrace from different angles. :-)

I’m not saying that her recovery isn’t a wonderful thing. It surely is. I’m not saying that her husband drawing inner strength from wherever he can isn’t a good thing, either.

I’m just positing that before everyone gets swept up in a “oh, this is divine intervention” spell, that we consider that A) the doctors had more to do with her care and recovery than a divine being did, and B) there were 9 others – including a small girl – who were (apparently) not deemed worthy enough to receive the same divine intervention that you’re ascribing to the same divine entity.

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 12:05 PM

cjtony97 on February 4, 2011 at 11:48 AM

If god is only responsible for the good then he is not in charge and he is only a co-creator. Not a very impressive deity. The Greeks gods had a better system of plausible deniability. It sounds like the Christian god should join their union.

deewhybee on February 4, 2011 at 12:06 PM

In what way does this advance Obama’s stated goal for NASA (and, presumably, every other federal agency): Advancing the glory of Islam?

logis on February 4, 2011 at 12:06 PM

I predict that Rep. Giffords has had, or will have a life changing epiphany as it relates to her Leftist Political viewpoint.

I also expect that the Left will become increasingly shrill and violent as they see their world dismantled. I am so looking forward to the opportunity to give these vile creatures back some of what they have been dishing for as long as I can remember.

PakviRoti on February 4, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Tony737 on February 4, 2011 at 9:43 AM

It all depends on what you think is more important…I just hope he comes back alive….

theaddora on February 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Not at all. I think the problem is… you are looking at it from your perspective and not from God’s.

If death is the end, then all (or nearly all) deaths are tragic. If death is not the end, then a death can have an everlasting impact for good.

Consider…

My sister-in-law’s friend died at the age of 16 in a car accident. I knew her because we had taken them both to an amusement park a few months before. I was the only one who would ride all the rollercoasters with her. (The others chickened out.) Over the course of the day, we had a lot of fun and I will always remember how happy and excited she was.

We went to her viewing and funeral. At the funeral, her dad spoke about her. He described how she would get up every morning to do Christian devotions with her dad. She was strong in her faith and looked forward to every morning. Unlike some funerals where people just assume the departed has gone to heaven, her dad knew for a fact where she was that day. He urged everyone not to wait, but to consider the decision before them… not everyone has years and years to decide where they will spend eternity.

So how could this be viewed as anything other than a tragedy… ?

She was popular in school, and over 1200 people showed up for her viewing from her small hometown. The line wrapped around the funeral home TWICE, and the viewing lasted 2 hours past when it was scheduled to end. Many of those people attended the funeral, and heard her father “preach”.

To God, the demonstration of her father’s faith to others, her life of faithfulness on display, to urge others to consider the decision of what awaits them… was a good thing.

Her dad, and the rest of her family, still miss her. But they know where she is, that they will see her again, and that her brief life touched hundreds of people… causing many to turn to God and make their own decision.

And that, is a good thing…

dominigan on February 4, 2011 at 12:20 PM

When I was 24 the man of my dreams was killed instantly in a senseless, careless accident…I am 56, unmarried and never had another love like the one I lost.

I have learned since then that Faith is trusting God when we do not understand why and how-

because HE understands why and is in control.

Romans 8:28
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his
purpose.”

We must all pray without ceasing and trust God completely…

I am praying for Gabrielle Gifford and all the families of the other victims everyday.

djn on February 4, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 12:01 PM

To recognize that all of creation calls out that there is a Creator, and that we can know Him personally. Our purpose is to learn of Him, choose to follow Him, fellowship with Him, and when death finally takes us… to be resurrected to enjoy eternity with Him.

Everything else eventually turns to dust… the things we’ve built in the world, all our accomplishments, even history forgets that we even existed… which is why we say that faith brings forth purpose.

If all things turn to dust, what do you claim to be your purpose here on earth?

dominigan on February 4, 2011 at 12:28 PM

. I disagree with some of them myself but managed not to insult him.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:45 AM

AI get the ideas…but a man honoring is wife, a wife fighting for survival, is called “Shameful and disgusting” doesn’t deserve any more respect then they are giving.
It is naive to think that a man who is surviving through a life changing event, is asked to give a speech at the National Prayer Breakfast, is considered headline grabber, and “shameful and disgusting”.
No matter what his actual age…this is the thinking of a naive young man who has not faced these life changing consequences, and has no clue as to what the National Prayer Breakfast is about.
You can excuse the poster for having a different “opinion”, but maybe my 10:29 post is more to you liking.
Appeasing haters may be your way of “getting along”, good for you.

right2bright on February 4, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Tony737 on February 4, 2011 at 9:43 AM

theaddora on February 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM

If it was a combat mission, he would be grounded…he has lived and is living through a huge distraction, other lives besides his is at stake.
As much as I admire him and his loyalty to his wife…he can’t be 100%.

right2bright on February 4, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Ain’t that the truth!

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God -Romans 8:28

How could people who don’t believe that’s true relate to the minds of people who do? They can’t – all they’re left with is their belief, of which they cannot fully appreciate the irony, that people who experience joy in God are delusional because those believers are trying to deny the sadness that’s inherent in a purely material world, unlike the sober-minded realists such as they.

What a pessimistic, unpleasant way to look at life.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 4, 2011 at 12:41 PM

right2bright on February 4, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Presumably a staff of psychologists have and will continue to evaluate him extensively. I would find it rather difficult to gainsay their opinion lacking a) their training and experise, b) access to the man himself, c) access to the man’s medical history and psychological evaluations. I know that armchair opining is a fun sport, but let’s touch ground once in a while.

MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Romans 8:28
purpose.”

We must all pray without ceasing and trust God completely…

djn on February 4, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I promise you I hadn’t yet read your post when I was constructing mine mentioning the same verse! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on February 4, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on February 4, 2011 at 12:45 PM

And thus spake Hickory unto Dock, “Run thee Dock. Run thee up thine clock.”

MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM

That’s probably because I am not God, I don’t claim to know the mind of God (I question those who do), and I would not be so presumptuous to claim that anything bad that happens to good people in this world is the result of “some divine plan” and that I must shut up and never question it.

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 12:54 PM

MJBrutus on February 4, 2011 at 12:44 PM

While my ex was in the Navy, the men on submarines were required to have all their paperwork in order – wills, named guardians of their children, etc., because if something happened to their spouse during the 6 month mission, they wouldn’t be coming home for any reason.

I’m not certain things are still like that or not.

If I was his wife, I would want him to go. This is what he’s trained his entire life for. Why would I want him to miss out on that because some lunatic lost it. That would be like letting that nut win!

ladyingray on February 4, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Appeasing haters may be your way of “getting along”, good for you.

Ah, the language of the simple minded sheep that live by the creed and mentality deigned by their masters to be correct. I have been around here long enough to see that your posts are always filled with anger and bigotry and your presence usually culminates in conflict with someone. Go back to your tv, old man, it is obvious that you have given up.

peacenprosperity on February 4, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Good Lt on February 4, 2011 at 12:54 PM

1. Bad things don’t happen to good people because there is a “Divine” plan for them to happen.
2. Who is telling you to shut up and never question it?
3. In questioning it, are you looking for an answer?

cjtony97 on February 4, 2011 at 1:06 PM