Rand Paul’s first floor speech: “Is compromise a noble position?”

posted at 5:07 pm on February 2, 2011 by Allahpundit

A savvy debut that’s getting lots of play online today, including at CNN (which continues to flirt with tea partiers after making a horrible first impression). His subject: Are tea-party senators prepared to deal, or will they insist on principled conservative stands that no Democrat will ever agree to? To compromise or not to compromise; that is the question. Watch how cleverly he pulls from his home state’s history to frame the answer. Yes, there can be compromise on the nuts and bolts of solving a national problem, but on the essential question of whether there’s a problem and whether we’re morally bound to solve it ASAP, there’s no room for deals.

And in case you’re not yet convinced there’s a problem, especially in how ill-informed the public is about the magnitude of our fiscal predicament and what’s causing it, compare column one of the following table taken from Larry Bartels’s piece yesterday at YouGov to columns two and three. Even when you frame the question explicitly in terms of the dire need to reduce the deficit, you still see support for holding spending steady or even increasing it — except, of course, for defense, the environment, and the arts. We could eliminate the Defense Department and we still wouldn’t get out of this hole, and yet the public continues to labor under the idea that if we cancel some Air Force jets and cut off NPR, we’ll be back on track. Paul and his allies have a long, long way to go.

Comments

Obligatory Ron Paul is a crazy paleo-con antisemite post /s

_______________________________________________________

Man, I do like me some Randal.

MeatHeadinCA on February 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM

What we need is a Mike Castle type to come in here and take over the presidency, a guy everyone can love and who will make sure that everyone stays fat and happy while the nation dies around them.

Bishop on February 2, 2011 at 5:14 PM

If you’re a zebra, you can compromise with the antelope, but you don’t compromise with the lion. A compromise with the lion is whether he eats you today, or eats you next week.

RBMN on February 2, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I got kidnapped during his speech!!11!1!!1

SouthernGent on February 2, 2011 at 5:15 PM

More of this, please…

steebo77 on February 2, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Compromise = $14T in debt.

BobMbx on February 2, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Loved it.

portlandon on February 2, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Rand Paul is my Senator. He rocks. I don’t agree with him on everything, but I agree with him on most things. He is absolutely right about compromise. Compromising on principles is a non-starter.

NoNails on February 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Great speech.

WisRich on February 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM

If you’re a zebra, you can compromise with the antelope, but you don’t compromise with the lion. A compromise with the lion is whether he eats you today, or eats you next week whether he eats you right now or chase you around for a few minutes and then rip you apart once you are out of breath and not able to run anymore.

RBMN on February 2, 2011 at 5:15 PM

antisocial on February 2, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I think the key we face is changing the question from

Should we spend money on X, Y, and Z?

To

Should we spend our limited tax dollars on X, Y or Z?

Most people understand living understand a budget. Thanks to the Entertainment-Media complex they don’t understand that the government has to also.

18-1 on February 2, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Compromise

Why does Goldwater come to mind?

Tzetzes on February 2, 2011 at 5:25 PM

There are just some things that are so basic, no compromise is possible.

How do you compromise with “Spend more money than we have. And do it forever or you are a racist and hate old people” position? It’s not possible. They call us names for even pointing out the problem. Scaremonger! Doomsayer!

They distort our actual plans and motivations. Yet the GOP does nothing.

Mord on February 2, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Well done, Mr. Paul.

pugwriter on February 2, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Mark my words, after the GOP snatches defeat from the jaws of victory in 2012, that man will be elected president in 2016.

Rae on February 2, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Electing Rand Paul was a mistake.

He’s just as stupid and crazy as his father.

Conservative Samizdat on February 2, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Well done, Mr. Paul. That’s leadership.
Looks like my investment in him is paying off.

CTSherman on February 2, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Yes. 1)The Tea Party WILL compromise with those who are even farther right deficit hawks. 2)Yes they will compromise with those who want certain pols in prison for 10 lifetimes. 3)Yes they will compromise with those who want all Dems and RINOs to get one way ‘coach’ tickets to North Korea or Cuba.

1)TP says we still need the military and judiciary. Everything else is on the table.
2) One lifetime without parole seems sufficient. The TP is kinder and gentler. Are they not?
3)Coach? Why not ‘cargo’, as in C-130? Oneway ticket with HALO jumps and no O2 and no chute? Mean. Give em a chute.

The Tea Party. We’re fair and stand for being Free to Choose. You can choose freedom and free markets or go on over to N. Korea or Cuba. Your choice.

JimP on February 2, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Conservative Samizdat on February 2, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Did you listen to the speech?

CTSherman on February 2, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Ran Paul for president

keep the change on February 2, 2011 at 5:34 PM

More Cassius Clay, please!!

JAM on February 2, 2011 at 5:36 PM

How come when there’s talk of compromise, it’s always that conservatives have to compromise up to the liberal position instead of the liberals compromising down to the conservative position?

Enough of that already. I don’t even want to meet in the middle. And that’s because the middle is where the left used to be.

And then there’s the complaint that nothing will get done without compromise. To that, I say, so what? In fact, good.

SlaveDog on February 2, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Rand = Clever + Saavy!!! Sounds as if we might finally have a male congresscritter with a pair of cojones…..

huskerdiva on February 2, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I commented before watching the video….WOW! Awesome speech. I sorta hit his main point with my first sentence, lol.

Mord on February 2, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Cassius Clay hasn’t got that much air time since the Thrilla in Manila.

Ted Torgerson on February 2, 2011 at 5:37 PM

JimP on February 2, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I like the way you think!

huskerdiva on February 2, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Way to move the Overton window right. This has to happen.

GnuBreed on February 2, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Excellent speech…

…. By the way, has anyone seen Scotty B. lately?

Seven Percent Solution on February 2, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Good speech and history lesson.

I disagree when he says that there is no comparable moral crisis to slavery today. I think abortion qualifies if you believe that life begins in the womb.

ConstantSorrow on February 2, 2011 at 5:43 PM

This is why I’m a conservative… When do you ever see a Democrat give a speech with that kind of perspective? Rand is going to beca positive force to be reckoned with.

CCRWM on February 2, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Did you listen to the speech?

CTSherman on February 2, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Yes I did.

But like his father, just because he gives a good speech or has a few good ideas…it doesn’t negate his craziness or stupidity.

Conservative Samizdat on February 2, 2011 at 5:44 PM

And concerning that poll…people need to be brought out of the brainwashing that spending more money on something makes it better. When it comes to the government, often the opposite is the result.

miConsevative on February 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Good speech and history lesson.
ConstantSorrow on February 2, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I agree… I thought of that exact same thing when he said that.

CCRWM on February 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM

To be fair, Obama and the Democrats have really big hearts and they really really do love this country when all is said and done… so a little bit of compromise would really do the country a world of good.

/HA analysis

;)

mankai on February 2, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Cassiusizzle!

kevinkristy on February 2, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Now will someone tell Rand to slap his Dad back into reality!

upinak on February 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Rae on February 2, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Giving up so soon on his nutso father?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on February 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Useless. He didn’t use a lot of nutty one-liners and Hannity talking points. How are we going to win the argument with Rand Paul’s method?

/Michele Bachmann

mankai on February 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Giving up so soon on his nutso father?

Attila (Village Idiot) on February 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Palin will win before Ron does. He’s publicly and proudly stepped on too many Zionist toes for too many decades to have a snowball’s chance in heck of election.

Dark-Star on February 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Conservative Samizdat on February 2, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Well, that’s the first time I’ve ever heard Ron Paul of being accused of giving a good speech.

Well done, Senator Paul!! Bravo!!

And thank you Ron Paul, for your devotion to principle that clearly has influenced this young Senator in his life and in his politics.

JohnGalt23 on February 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM

great speech. Loved the historical context.

ted c on February 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Nicely done – and a semiotic shout-out to objectivists – today’s the anniversary of Ayn Rand’s death.

elcapt on February 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM

excuse me – anniversary of her *birth*…

elcapt on February 2, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Obligatory Ron Paul is a crazy paleo-con antisemite post /s

_______________________________________________________

MeatHeadinCA on February 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM

RON Paul IS all of the above, or am I just not getting your sarcasm? Because I’m not being sarcastic.

catmman on February 2, 2011 at 5:59 PM

No compromise with scoundrels!

erp on February 2, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Compromise for 70 years has equated to “bend over.”

That era needs to end. Hopefully it has.

dogsoldier on February 2, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Dark-Star on February 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Hmmm, clever. I never realized that the “P” in Pillage Idiot could be made into a “V” for Village Idiot. But maybe it’s just my Zionist toes.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on February 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Dark-Star on February 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM

He also has a nasty habit of blaming the US without evidence.

mankai on February 2, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Honestly. Why must Rand Paul threads always devolve into a Ron Paul bashing session by you nutty neoclowns? You people are obsessed with that man.

Please, seek professional help immediately for your Ron Paul Derangement Syndrome!

And then go “build” some more Islamic states in the Middle east, why dontcha?! Then, maybe after, you can go bail out some more bankstas and hump the filthy Fed some more!

Rae on February 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Electing Rand Paul was a mistake.

He’s just as stupid and crazy as his father.

Conservative Samizdat on February 2, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Great sarcastic post…funy
Yes, that was a great speech, and he talks to the real heart of the matter.
Compromise is not a mark of a good statesman, but dialogue and agreement on certain issues is warranted.
Another great historical comparison….
Chamberlain, a compromiser, Churchill not so much…

Upon arriving back home in London, Chamberlain declared: “The settlement of the Czechoslovakian problem which has now been achieved is in my view only the prelude to a larger settlement in which all Europe may find peace.”

Few politicians in Britain disagreed. Winston Churchill voiced the loudest single protest, calling the Munich Agreement “a total, unmitigated defeat.”…Hitler stated “I did not think it possible that Czechoslovakia would be virtually served up to me on a plate by her friends.”

Notice that Churchill was a minority, a huge minority, but sounded the bell early on…so is Paul, a minority but ringing the bell, alerting us to our future.
Compromise with the liberals will bring us to the brink of economic destruction.

right2bright on February 2, 2011 at 6:11 PM

And then go “build” some more Islamic states in the Middle east, why dontcha?!

Rae on February 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Please don’t give them any ideas.

JohnGalt23 on February 2, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Rae on February 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Well, its good to see how you carry yourself above the fray.

Frickin (Ron)Paultards…

catmman on February 2, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Senator Paul, your suit is one size too big for you, and those sleeves are too long. Other than that, you rock.

Emperor Norton on February 2, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I like Rand Paul. He’s not stupid, he’s quirky. And, who in the Senate isn’t a little crazy?

I don’t agree with him on everything but that was a great speech. A compromiser, like second place, is just the first loser.

Fallon on February 2, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Leftist rhetoric is devoted to redefining the indefensible into the mandatory. They are no more interested in compromise than Stalin was. They have been pandered to and indulged like spoiled children for decades now. It is cowardly and idiotic to humor them when they are clearly being disingenuous and conniving on literally every issue.

To the Republicans in power: Stick to your principles and defend them like mature adults or a third party will arise with great speed and seriousness to do your job for you.

Django on February 2, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Rand Paul is my Senator.

NoNails on February 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Where in KY?

bighead4 on February 2, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Django on February 2, 2011 at 6:48 PM

PRINCIPLES? What fricking principles do these eunuchs hold that they would stick to?
Freedom of:
Speech?
Dissent?
Religion?
Where were they when the media put forth an all out and sustained blood libel against Rush and Sarah?
They threw dissent under the bus by agreeing to disguise the Rats historic losses and sit next to them in the SOTU!
They have allowed religion to be banned from our schools and public squares while allowing Muslim Prayer rooms complete with rugs facing Mecca!

Compromise on this:

How high to hang the corrupt skunks of both stripes as long as it is high enough that their feet don’t touch the ground!

Throw the bums out!
Tea Party Baby!

dhunter on February 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Good speech and history lesson.
ConstantSorrow on February 2, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I agree… I thought of that exact same thing when he said that.

CCRWM on February 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM

This. Great speech. I also thought of the phrase, “Everyone who ever voted for slavery was born free and everyone who ever voted for abortion was born alive.” when I heard it.

txmomof6 on February 2, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Man, I do like me some Randal.

MeatHeadinCA

long as you don’t publicly

count the ways,

chacon a son gout

audiculous on February 2, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Compromise with evil is EVIL. Compromise with dems, who are univrsally evil, is Evil.

proconstitution on February 2, 2011 at 7:55 PM

proconstitution

ever notice that democrat starts with the letter D

audiculous on February 2, 2011 at 7:58 PM

proconstitution

No, the Left is the side that sees their opponents as ‘evil.’ We on the Right don’t need to reach for over-reaching language. The Left is wrong, ‘univrsally’ if you insist, but if you are able to tell what lies in each and every soul on the Left, well, congrats. Now tell me what next week’s lotto numbers are.

chimney sweep on February 2, 2011 at 8:24 PM

chimney sweep

thank you.

audiculous on February 2, 2011 at 8:28 PM

nice speech now I hope he holds to it. If not they are just pretty words. No wonder the gop establishment tried like hell to get this guy to lose the race. We need 30 more of these guys in the Senate.

unseen on February 2, 2011 at 8:40 PM

hey you know who endorsed this guy before everyone else. You know who stepped up to the plate for this guy when the MSM was tearing him up? you know who don’t you?

That’s right. Gov palin. These are the type of people a POTUS Palin will surround herself with in office.

does anyone think Mitt will hire a Rand Paul for his inner circle? do you punk? Do we go this route in 2012 or do we return to the status quo go along to get along RINO club?

I vote for freedom, I vote for Palin.

unseen on February 2, 2011 at 8:44 PM

I vote for freedom, I vote for Palin.

unseen on February 2, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Meanwhile the Rino extraordinaire McShame is rubbin knees with OBLahBLah becoming his useful idiot and his excuse when he turns an Egyptian ally into a Mooslim Brotherhood Enemy! (Ally of Barracks)

dhunter on February 2, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Yes I did.

Conservative Samizdat on February 2, 2011 at 5:44 PM

And you’re basing this opinion on what? I have only read two of your posts and I can tell that you’re a glittering jewel of colossal ignorance.

fossten on February 2, 2011 at 10:45 PM

There is no nobility in compromise in and of itself. Nobility can only be found in any compromise based on the context of that compromise. It must be judged on a case by case basis.

To compromise one’s principles in any fashion for any reason reeks of ignobility.

If bipartisanship is compromising one’s values, then it’s also synonymous with selling one’s soul.

If standing on one’s principles regardless of result is partisanship, then I’ll be very supportive of those partisans who stand for the principles I stand for… bipartisanship be damned.

I vote for freedom, I vote for Palin.

unseen on February 2, 2011 at 8:44 PM

I agree with you because she’s the one candidate who’s got the one thing that matters in times like these: the gumption to fight for something.

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities… because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Courage is the primary virtue in today’s world. No courage… no spunk… no substance.

I only see that in one potential candidate… and that’s Sarah Palin. She ain’t perfect, but she’s the one candidate that fits the bill.

Chaz706 on February 3, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Fantastic! Rand Paul is what is going to keep our hopes alive!

Mark7788 on February 3, 2011 at 12:50 AM

fossten on February 2, 2011 at 10:45 PM

I’m basing my position on Rand Paul’s statements and positions he’s given.

I’m very familiar with Ron and Rand Paul. They’re both nuts.

Conservative Samizdat on February 3, 2011 at 2:51 AM

I’m impressed. I am VERY impressed.

There is no place for compromise unless it starts between cutting 100% and increasing 100%. Otherwise it ratchets spending upwards every compromise as we have had over the last several decades. It is time, actually, for a compromise near midway between 75% cut and 25% increase if one must negotiate and compromise. This is the reverse of the compromises of the past. It is needed to return government to sane levels.

{^_^}