Quotes of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on February 2, 2011 by Allahpundit

“The betting among Republicans is that Thune remains in the Senate, and the senator himself acknowledges he might stay put…

“‘He’s young, he’s got time,’ said one veteran Republican close to Thune. ‘He does have that Finance Committee assignment. He’s in a good place in leadership, he’s a good messenger for the party, and there’s a very good chance Republicans can get back the majority in the Senate next year…

“Another source close to Thune was candid.

“‘There’s not a lot of desire on his part or anybody’s in the organization to really ramp up or get organized, or talk to a lot of operatives,’ said the source in explaining the silence.”

***
INGRAHAM: Do you think they’ve called a truce on these issues, governor?

DANIELS: No, obviously not. I said I was thinking of them as much as my own allies when I said it.

The major point, though, was something different, and it was just this: I believe…. that the arithmetic of our times says we are headed for Niagara Falls, fiscally. You cannot run any kind of enterprise — private or public — on a self-governing basis as deeply in hawk as we now are and are going to be…

I would like to think that fixing [the debt] and saving our kids future could be a unifying moment for our country and we wouldn’t stop our disagreements or our passionate belief in these other questions, we just sort of mute them for a little while, while we try to come together on the thing that menaces us all.

***
Via Verum Serum, audio from 2008.

***
“Romney, continuing a whirlwind tour of television interviews to promote the new paperback version of his book, also talked up potential presidential rival Sarah Palin.

“‘I believe she is an extraordinarily powerful and effective voice in our party, that she has generated a great deal of support and attention,’ he said of the former Alaska governor. ‘She’d be great in a primary process.’

“When Morgan asked whether Romney could beat Palin, he said, ‘I don’t know the answer to that.’

“The host then asked whether his wife knows the answer.

“‘She probably does,’ Romney replied.”

***
“Romney also had quite a bit to say about Indiana governor Mitch Daniels‘ recent comment that China’s continued growth and rise in power could be a positive thing for the U.S:

“‘First of all their trade policies have been patently unfair. They steal our intellectual property, which is one of our greatest exports. They have artificially manipulated their currency to try and hollow out our manufacturing base and they have made it very difficult for our businesses to be successful in China without having to hand over to Chinese owners trade secrets as well as in many cases ownership. So, they have been a very difficult participant in the world trade effort.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2011 at 6:37 AM

mornin’ OC

wow, monies going to good use there…

cmsinaz on February 3, 2011 at 6:44 AM

I’d like her to go out and start cultivating the press instead of criticizing it

Ah, you want her to take the John McCain path to losing the presidency? You sleep with trash, you catch STD’s. After that last media droolfest for the fake messiah, why would any sane person court these modern day Brutuses?

Don L on February 3, 2011 at 6:47 AM

cmsinaz on February 3, 2011 at 6:44 AM

Morning darlin’
Yep a real waste of tax dollars.
I took today and tomorrow off to go to Kansas City for my birthday, but not in this weather. Just staying home.

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2011 at 6:49 AM

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Happy Birthday!

Stay safe and enjoy just relaxin in front of the fire, I want to see you here for your next birthday :)

cmsinaz on February 3, 2011 at 6:52 AM

cmsinaz on February 3, 2011 at 6:52 AM

Thanks.

cmsinaz on February 3, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Weren’t the leftard media supposed to have a moratorium or something about talking about her this month?
Lol.

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2011 at 7:05 AM

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2011 at 7:05 AM

indeed…

cmsinaz on February 3, 2011 at 7:12 AM

4 squishy Progressive get-along Rinopublicans?

Sure, we need as many of them to run as possible.

The one candidate that could beat the great Healer isn’t going to run so what diff does it make?

PappyD61 on February 3, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Oh I love that Laura Ingraham!! for playing that tape of George Bush – the transnational progressive. Romney was way too soft on Bush and the border issue. Its insane not to have a certain measure of protection to our economy. Ronald Reagan taught us that. The Bush dynasty stomped on that concept, however. DD

Darvin Dowdy on February 3, 2011 at 7:51 AM

PappyD61 on February 3, 2011 at 7:17 AM

And who would that be?

This is completely off topic but these ads are really starting to piss me off. Is anyone else in Connecticut getting the “Chris Murphy for Senate- Progressive” campaign ads. Ugh!

CTSherman on February 3, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Michelle Malkin will be on Fox & Friends next.

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2011 at 7:57 AM

The betting among Republicans is that…….

….it will be a total fist fight. Hair pulling, biting, groin shots, rocks and broken bottles. Just what the dems are counting on to keep Barry from calling a moving van.

Limerick on February 3, 2011 at 7:57 AM

too funny, msdnc host wondering why palin hasn’t commented on egypt yet

cmsinaz on February 3, 2011 at 6:58 AM

And you know as soon as she does, it will be “Why is she inserting herself into this story?”

gryphon202 on February 3, 2011 at 8:28 AM

gryphon202 on February 3, 2011 at 8:28 AM

want to bet she uses Reagan’s speech on Friday to tie his vision of peace through strength to how bad things are spinning out of control across the globe.

unseen on February 3, 2011 at 8:32 AM

too funny, msdnc host wondering why palin hasn’t commented on egypt yet

cmsinaz on February 3, 2011 at 6:58 AM

but it’s a Palin free Feb….they just can’t quit her……brokeback news.

unseen on February 3, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Thune really crashing on Intrade this morning, from $12 to $3. Must be the Politico article saying Senate GOPers think he won’t run.

Jon0815 on February 3, 2011 at 8:36 AM

…they just can’t quit her……brokeback news.

unseen on February 3, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Is it any coincidence that Dana Milbank made that promise on the shortest month of the year? That rat-bastard won’t last for 28 days, and neither will anyone else in the supposedly mainstream media.

gryphon202 on February 3, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Jon0815 on February 3, 2011 at 8:36 AM

It’s not just the Politico article. If Thune’s InTrade stock is falling, there’s insider buzz. Besides which, as a lifelong South Dakotan, I don’t think he should run. I’m getting tired of having him as a senator.

gryphon202 on February 3, 2011 at 8:40 AM

What’s Palin doing on Intrade? Rush has been really, really high on her after his sit down with the Kochies.

victor82 on February 3, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Don L on February 3, 2011 at 6:47 AM

She actually tried that with the New York Times late last year, and with Time magazine. Her reward was to be accused by the MSM of being an accessory to Mass Murder.

It’s not that she won’t reach out to the Press. It’s that she will never forget that they are the enemy.

victor82 on February 3, 2011 at 9:01 AM

gryphon202 on February 3, 2011 at 8:28 AM

but it’s a Palin free Feb….they just can’t quit her……brokeback news.

unseen on February 3, 2011 at 8:33 AM

exactamundo….

cmsinaz on February 3, 2011 at 9:07 AM

it’s weird. That is what the problem is. Kucinich has the same problem.. how he gets re-elected believing the stuff he does is just amazing but he’ll never be elected POTUS.
What’s weird and he’ll never get elected is a phoney Black man from a bigoted anti-white, anti-America church background and associations with the most corrupted anti- American people -including terrorists- and a disciple of Saul Alinsky who in a radical revolutionary who dedicated his books to Satan. He’d never become POTUS, particularly if he ran a phoney campaign as a new messiah, complete with fake presidential seals, photoshopped halos and foam pillars promising to stop the seas from rising, while aggressively demanding babies that escape the abortionist be starved to death. That would never happen in America -no sir, these people are too smart for that stuff.
Don L on February 3, 2011 at 6:13 AM

Well if you’re going to put it like that… I stand corrected I guess… That was pretty sobering. The people we’re sharing the country wit… ugh….

CCRWM on February 3, 2011 at 10:54 AM

The Romney camp began trashing Palin literally the night of the ’08 election. Nicole Wallace (Her husband Mark Wallace works for Mitt Romney ) began the “Trash Palin” crap and ran with it. They tried to Knee cap Palin to handicap her if she ever wanted to run for President.
That is who started it.
portlandon on February 3, 2011 at 12:00 AM

WRONG. The Mark Wallace who worked for Romney is from Houston and is the President/CEO of Texas Children’s Hospital. That is not the same Mark Wallace who worked for McCain! Whatever problems Nicole Wallace and her husband had with Palin have nothing to do with Romney.

Yes, but does the game work anymore is the question that will be answered come 2012. I don’t think it does. I think the majority in the base of the GOP besides Buy Danish are smart enough to see through the game. Still a few fall for the game everytime.
unseen on February 2, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Ha! I hardly think that you are a good judge of “smarts”. The GOP base won’t elect the next President. Independents far outnumber Republicans (and Democrats) and they are key to winning the general. Speaking of games, most Independents aren’t playing stupid, petty, childish games of the sort you engage in on a daily basis.

jdoubleu is upset that Palin earns her money like all us blue collar folks instead of inheriting money like Willard Romney.
Some people are self made. Others are generational “Successes”.
portlandon on February 2, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Sounds like portlandon is filled with class envy and thinks that it’s acceptable to disparage people who are successful and leave any sort of legacy for their children – which is how Socialists think. No doubt you will frown on the Palin’s leaving anything to their children.

Buy Danish on February 3, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Well said buydanish. Portlandonbis simply a liberal who thinks he’s conservative because everyone he goes to church with is. Conservatives don’t hate someone because he’s successful- they celebrate it

drballard on February 3, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Sorry to be late to the party. We were digging ourselves out of 3 feet of global warming and had ‘net problems as a result

I like John Thune. I wouldn’t mind him as the nominee. I’d vote for Mitt as well-but that whole Romneycare thing bothers me…a lot.
I’ve even-despite myself-been impressed by Huck’s understanding of the whole Egypt thing. He gets it-Obama obviously doesn’t. I still don’t want Huck as the nominee.
As far as Gov. Palin-I’m not sold yet.
The primaries are next year. I’ll leave in the hands of my Palinista peeps(smiles and waves) to convince me of the worthiness of their cause.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 3, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Some people are self made. Others are generational “Successes”.
portlandon on February 2, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Buy Danish on February 3, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I have no class envy. Just ridiculing the fact that people think Mitt Romney is a self made man or some kind of genius. He inherited huge amounts of money, and never had to struggle for anything in his life. Ever. How is he suppose to relate to me? He can’t. He will never know want, or struggle.

As for leaving money to children? How has they helped out the children? Look at the Trust fund brats running around ruining our nation. They are mostly liberal, and have no way of knowing reality from the clouds they live in.

In my OPINION, The only large amount of money the Palin’s should leave after their deaths is to their Down Syndrome son. He will need extra care for the rest of his life. The rest are able bodied, strong people. Why give them unearned millions destroy their ability to work hard and appreciate what they have?

portlandon on February 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM

People are free to leave their money to whom ever they want including their able bodied children. Sarah Palin should be free to give her children any amount she sees fit when she dies.

Something tells me that if you had a wealthy father who left you an extremely large sum of money, you wouldn’t be turning it down.

Just because someone has wealthy parents and they inherit their money upon their death doesn’t mean they’ll be automatically successful.

Mitt Romney had a wealth father, yes…but Mitt Romney’s success is of his own making.

Conservative Samizdat on February 3, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Conservative Samizdat on February 3, 2011 at 12:09 PM

1. My grand parents are wealthy. Their parents were very wealthy. After seeing members of my family turn into vultures and do things I never thought possible of them during the settling of my Great Grandparents estate, I decided to walk away from inherited money. All it does is cause hard feelings and resentment. I owe my success to nobody but God and my own hard work.

How? Did Romney have to work while he went to college? Did he have to struggle for anything he ever had? Did he have student loans to pay off? Did he start in the mail room and work his way to the board room? Or did he get the key to the executive washroom upon graduation from his Ivy League school?

I respect Mitt’s father. He was a very smart man, with high ambitions. He became the President of AMC and really made the company great. I have owned Ramblers, and they are fine cars. George Romney did great things. He built things. Mitt Romney bought things. There is a difference.

portlandon on February 3, 2011 at 12:46 PM

portlandon on February 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Ha! I think I’ll keep this revealing response on file. You really need to rethink your political affiliation. If you truly believed in self-reliance you wouldn’t think that it was the job of a politician to “relate” to your “struggle” or “know want”. (Which by the way is very presumptuous. Everyone, rich and poor alike, has adversity they must overcome in life. No one is exempt).

It is the job of a politician to represent the interests of the electorate, and conservatives believe that means promoting liberty, and free markets, and creating conditions for people to prosper and leave a legacy for their children, and their children’s children. This clearly does not describe you.

Here’s a little quote for you to ponder: “Envy according to the aspect of its object is contrary to charity, whence the soul derives its spiritual life… Charity rejoices in our neighbor’s good, while envy grieves over it.” – Thomas Aquinas

Buy Danish on February 3, 2011 at 12:55 PM

portlandon on February 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Ha! I think I’ll keep this revealing response on file. You really need to rethink your political affiliation.. If you truly believed in self-reliance you wouldn’t think that it was the job of a politician to “relate” to your “struggle” or “know want”.

Buy Danish on February 3, 2011 at 12:55 PM

So you missed the ’08 election cycle, when Mitt Romney kept trying to act like an average Joe, and try to say “Look, I’m just like you!! I wear Carharts, and I hunt, and I drive pick up trucks”???

You know, Ronald Reagan had the ability to relate to the every person in America because he had lived their lives. He took the common sense he learned from his years of living a normal life and used it while he was the most powerful man in the world. Reagan’s Common sense conservatism is what made him great. Not that he was actor. Not that he was independently wealthy. Not his fame. It wasn’t so much that Reagan could relate to us, it was that we the people could relate to HIM.

The Common sense conservatism that most people learn from living a normal life would have made Mitt Romney know that RomneyCare was a terrible boondoggle, a Trojan horse that liberals would use to destroy fiscal sanity in Mass.

But Please Buy Danish, Save my response. Keep it. Print it out and tape it over your monitor. I don’t care. If you want to obsess about Me, fine. But it won’t change the fact that Mitt Romney can’t buy a personality, or purchase the common sense that most Conservatives got for free through a lifetime of earning what we have.

portlandon on February 3, 2011 at 1:08 PM

portlandon on February 3, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I don’t think Ronald Reagan would be too impressed by your arguments.

No conservative would argue that it’s necessary to be independently wealthy, nor would they argue that it’s something worthy of derision, scorn and envy. Mitt Romney benefited from his father’s industriousness and legacy and then went on to work very hard throughout his life, but you make him out to be a spoiled slacker.

I didn’t miss a thing in the ’08 election cycle, but apparently nothing he does will satisfy you. If he wears a suit you’ll say you can’t relate to him. If he doesn’t wear a suit you’ll say he’s being phony. Dittos for what sort of cars/trucks he drives. No matter what it is, you’ll find a reason to criticize it. It’s petty and churlish.

Buy Danish on February 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM

portlandon on February 3, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Poor you. It’s all about you and what you didn’t have. The only people you can respect are people who suffered like you. Pathetic.

BTW, I don’t believe your story that your parents were wealthy and you walked away from your inheritance. You’re way too bitter about your own personal lot in life to have made a choice like that voluntarily. Nice try though.

Buy Danish on February 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM

No conservative would argue that it’s necessary to be independently wealthy

Buy Danish on February 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I didn’t say it was necessary.

nor would they argue that it’s something worthy of derision, scorn and envy.

I do not scorn people with money. I do not deride people with money. I do not envy people with money. Just people who use wealth as a measure of intelligence or importance. (like Romney)

He did benefit from is father. His father was a great man. I loved his dad. He was visionary. Show me where Mitt worked hard for anything. What is Mitt’s career? What did he do?

I have said atleat 100 times here at HotAir that Romney would be an excellent Vice President or cabinet member. I do not hate the man, just his attitude and complete inability to stand on principle. Is it my fault that Romney has changed his opinion on every major political position atleast three times in his lifetime? Mitt’s political core is weak at best and can be best described as a windsock, changing direction on whichever way the wind blows.

Mitt Romney will NEVER be president unless he serves under a conservative President for atleast 8 years for him to fully grasp what Conservatism is, because his 4 years of governing Mass displayed only his willingness to bow to liberalism.

That is all.

portlandon on February 3, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Buy Danish on February 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM

You don’t have to believe it. I don’t live to justify my life to you Buy Danish.

From your statement, I’m sure you’d be one of the first to be picking through Grandma’s jewelry box before her body is even cold.

portlandon on February 3, 2011 at 1:53 PM

portlandon on February 3, 2011 at 1:50 PM

The hell you don’t! You’re also making stuff up again about what you claim Romney does. Provide the evidence please? Okay? I’m really tired of all these unsubstantiated claims, these figments of your imagination.

portlandon on February 3, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Really? Evidence that you struggle with reading comprehension. I said I don’t believe your story. It has nothing to do with the morality of a hypothetical situation where someone walks away from an inheritance. If you were to tell me you were disowned I’d believe it. I’d disown you too for insufferable jackasserie.

You don’t know the answer to these questions? Google is your friend.

Finally: This conversation isn’t about Romney. It’s about you and your petty grievances.

Buy Danish on February 3, 2011 at 2:10 PM

You don’t know the answer to these questions? Google is your friend.

Buy Danish on February 3, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Actually, you’ve made this about me. Go ahead. Analyze me Doctor Buy Danish.

Oh Really? Here is a direct quote from you tirade of “Romney can do no wrong”!!11!!!:

Buy Danish on February 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I Never said My parents were wealthy. It seems YOUR reading comprehension has failed you:

My great grandparents were extremely wealthy cattle ranchers with land, and money. Their children (my grandparents) fought like cats and dogs for inheritance. It was disgusting. My grandparents (who are still alive) will eventually die. I have let them know that I am not interested in inheritance. Let my cousins fight like animals. I am more than happy with the time I spent with them. I am very comfortable with what I have accumulated with God’s blessing and my own hard work.

You are so ridiculous BuyDanish. And sad. It almost sounds like you are waiting to cash in on someone you are related to. Good luck with that.

portlandon on February 3, 2011 at 2:31 PM

porlandon.

You clearly harbor a lot of resentments which affect your politics and world view. The only person engaging in a “tirade” is you. I am calmly pointing out how your woe is me complaints and petty jealousies are behavior unbecoming to a conservative.

There is not a single thing I said which had anything to do with what I would do with an inheritance. Your imagination is running away with you again.

Buy Danish on February 3, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Buy Danish on February 3, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Yaaawwwnnnn.

You keep saying it. I keep denying it.

I declare this a stalemate.

Can we atleast agree that the sky is blue and end this?

portlandon on February 3, 2011 at 3:31 PM

There are few things more annoying that people who think they’re psychics and say in a whiny way, “If so and so did and said this such and such would happen and it’s not fair”.

It’s especially annoying when you know they’re right.

Palin has been criticized for a lot of things, but “empty bromides” are not on the list, so your example is idiotic from the start.

Buy Danish on February 2, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Pretty much most of her public statements have been characterized by such at various points from the Mittbot Peanut Gallery.

Why do I get the sense that any criticism of Palin is off limits but every criticism of Mitt is ok?

Why have I gotten the sense over the past 2 years that precisely the reverse is true?

By the way…what do you consider a fair criticism of Sarah Palin?

Attack her position on the issues. Hard, I know.

And out of curiosity, is there anything YOU personally disagree with or don’t like about Palin or is she that perfect?

Conservative Samizdat on February 2, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Not joining in the “she’s an unelectable joke” echo chamber equals thinking Palin is “perfect”? Hardly.

I disagree with her on the issues less frequently than I disagree with Romney. Good enough?

ddrintn on February 3, 2011 at 4:54 PM