Video: Obama somehow manages to say nothing meaningful in Egypt statement

posted at 7:44 pm on February 1, 2011 by Allahpundit

The money line that’s being picked up by news outlets and touted on Twitter is, “an orderly transition must be meaningful, it must be peaceful, and it must begin now.” But what does “now” mean? Didn’t Mubarak already begin the transition process today by agreeing not to run again in the fall? Didn’t he do precisely what Obama asked him to do, in fact? To listen to this, you’d think the White House was somehow displeased by his recalcitrance even though he’s following the advice they’ve given him. But then that’s the game we’re playing right now, I guess: On the one hand, be as gentle as possible behind the scenes in easing Mubarak out so as not to offend other Sunni leaders around the region, and on the other hand, call publicly for restraint by the Egyptian army and assure the protesters that their voices are being heard. Protesters can listen to this and assume that when Obama says “now,” he’s working hard to push Mubarak out. And allies can listen to it and assume that we’re still on track for a nice “orderly transition,” provided the Egyptian public is willing to tolerate it.

I have to say, I’m amazed that he had the balls to toss the following lines in there. Remember, we’ve backed Mubarak for 30 years, through administrations led by both Republicans and Democrats, precisely because we knew he’d keep the fanatics among the Egyptian electorate out of power:

After his speech tonight, I spoke directly to president Mubarak. He recognizes that the status quo is not sustainable and that a change must take place. Indeed all of us who are privileged to serve in political positions of power do so at the will of our people. Through thousands of years Egypt has known many moments of transformation. The voices of the Egyptian people tell us this is one of those moments; this is one of those times…

To the people of Egypt, particularly the young people of Egypt, I want to be clear. We hear your voices. I have an unyielding belief that you will determine your own destiny and seize the promise of a better future for your children and your grandchildren.

If I were Egyptian, I’d feel grievously insulted that this guy would dare pay lip service to democracy and self-determination after his country looked the other way at fascism for more than a generation. But who knows? Hopefully it’ll work, at least well enough to maintain a little American leverage over whatever comes next.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Empty suit

SouthernGent on February 1, 2011 at 8:42 PM

As Kraut said… Do not underestimate this person.

He has repeatedly stated what he intended to do to our People and our Nation.

The method has been to “de-sensitize” us from his words, which have meaning.

This man is incredibly smart and has been groomed to hold this position for years. As Kraut said, “do not underestimate him”.

There is a reason we listen to C.K. He is always reserved, always unassuming, and always right.

While we’ve all been thinking WTF, this man has been implementing the BIG.F.U. to America.

Do not, under any circumstance, underestimate him.

Key West Reader on February 1, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Say that again and I will expend every resource to find you and make you pay.

What’s the big deal??? Y’all make some good cheese and ya got that whole water park thing going on.

BigWyo on February 1, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Bishop has the unfortunate stigmata of being from Wisconsin
Say that again and I will expend every resource to find you and make you pay.

Bishop on February 1, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Bishop: Let me know,my Specially Trained Commando Canadian
Beavers can adapt to any terrian,except desert con
ditions!!(snark).

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 9:01 PM

BigWyo on February 1, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Bish is from Many Soda, you know, the guys that gave the Senate Stuart Smallbrain.

darwin-t on February 1, 2011 at 9:03 PM

The method has been to “de-sensitize” us from his words, which have meaning

Rush, I know you are reading this. Broadcast it.

Our Nation is in Peril.

There is nothing that can ever be done to this man. He has repeatedly told this Nation what he planned to do to us, and he has done everything he said he was going to do.

We have nobody to blame but the idiots.

Now, we have to face the consequences of the most consequential election in the history of our Nation. This is a teachable moment. Educate yourselves, and Educate your children. If you fail to do this, we can (will not) but we can, fall.

/Yes We Can. He forgot to add the last word… “Fall”

Absurd meaning now, huh?

Key West Reader on February 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Damn it to hell!!

I take it all back. Uncle…..

Why did it have to be beavers???

BigWyo on February 1, 2011 at 9:06 PM

darwin-t on February 1, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Yes, I know.

And BTW…so am I.

BigWyo on February 1, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Those crazy muckin fuslims are at it again.

WIKILEAKS: ‘AL-QAIDA ON BRINK OF USING NUKE BOMB’

Its on Drudge.

Geochelone on February 1, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Geochelone:Nightmarish!!:)

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 9:08 PM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 9:01 PM
==============
Damn it to hell!!

I take it all back. Uncle…..

Why did it have to be beavers???

BigWyo on February 1, 2011 at 9:06 PM

BigWyo:If I could only train them to pole dance,but,they
keep chewing it down…I dunno..hehe..(snark).

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 9:11 PM

As to the speech, has this man ever said anything meaningful, at leats in public? Can anyone remember a single line from a single speech?

rrpjr on February 1, 2011 at 8:30 PM

“This is our generation’s Sputnik moment.”

winfield on February 1, 2011 at 9:12 PM

So if we can get a million protesters to show up in Washington, D.C. this summer and demand Obama resign, he’ll do it? With an orderly transition to President Biden?

Skandia Recluse on February 1, 2011 at 7:53 PM

No, he won’t leave. But the roar of the People could put enough fear into the congresscritters to know that we will put them out and they better control barry, as per the Constitutional powers vested to them.

The People should call every day and in every way for obama to be impeached. He is setting the middle east on fire, with Isreal and America to follow. Whether we can get him to actual impeachment, although it would be more than justified, isn’t the point. The point is to create an inescapable climate of “no confidence”; to paint him as such a clear and present danger to America and the world that he becomes de-legitimized and de-fanged, in so far as possible until 2012.

At which time, we will have to wonder if enough fraud, rioting and “incidents” conveniently making hundreds of national polling places unsafe come Nov 6 and necessitating “postponement” of elections for the “safety of Americans” will come to pass. imo, it’s more than even money.

tigerlily on February 1, 2011 at 9:13 PM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Allahpundit made it a thread.

Geochelone on February 1, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I have an unyielding belief that you will determine your own destiny

As long as your destiny doesn’t involve choosing products and services to purchase with your earnings.

rogerb on February 1, 2011 at 9:17 PM

rrpjr on February 1, 2011 at 8:30 PM

I hear tell the “Rock the Casbah” speech he has planned to celebrate the MB takeover of Egypt is gonna be a corker.

tigerlily on February 1, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Every word was carefully chosen.
At times Obama used the word “must”: orderly transition must be meaningful, must be peaceful, must begin now, must include a broad spectrum….
At times he used the word “should”
Should lead to elections that are free and fair, should lead to a government which is not only grounded in democratic principles, but also responsive to the aspirations of the Egyptian people….
So, free and fair elections are optonal.
Interesting

topdog on February 1, 2011 at 7:49 PM

You’re on to him. He isn’t a liar. He is a LIE.

tigerlily on February 1, 2011 at 9:22 PM

His country looked the other way for more than a generation?? Really? How about the world looked the other way along with most Egyptians. If we had done anything else we would have been accused of interfering anyway.

Terrye on February 1, 2011 at 9:24 PM

tigerlily on February 1, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Where are the Repugnantcans?
They need to be in the hunt and on the attack as you say.

As far as violence and elections, concealed carry!

dhunter on February 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM

To the people of Egypt, particularly the young people useful idiots of Egypt, I want to be clear. We hear We’ll manipulate your voices. I have an unyielding belief that you the Muslim Brotherhood will determine your own destiny, set the Middle East ablaze and seize the promise of a better future for away from your children and your grandchildren while striking the match of WWIII. – obama

There.

tigerlily on February 1, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Just look at those fools in the background

… and the smile on Obowma’s face.

Seven Percent Solution on February 1, 2011 at 9:32 PM

His country looked the other way for more than a generation?

I don’t think the Egyptians care what Kenya thinks anyway….

Fortunata on February 1, 2011 at 9:34 PM

While I was watching Fox News after Odumba$$s’ spout-off, they again showed a picture of the Egyptians protesting. One of them held up a sign that read “YES WE CAN….TOO”. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Wonder where they got that slogan from?

sicoit on February 1, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Every word was carefully chosen.
At times he used the word “should”
So, free and fair elections are optonal.
Interesting

topdog on February 1, 2011 at 7:49 PM
You’re on to him. He isn’t a liar. He is a LIE.

tigerlily on February 1, 2011 at 9:22 PM

No, he isn’t lying. He is telling the truth to our faces; he just uses dummypops and flowers when he speaks.

We are in peril.

Key West Reader on February 1, 2011 at 9:40 PM

sicoit on February 1, 2011 at 9:36 PM

The slogan comes from the nexus of international communism/socialism and Islamism. “Social justice” is a hot commodity in both ideologies.

tigerlily: That “Rock the Casbah” video summons good times’ memories in aerobics classes many (ahem) moons ago. Good times! Who knew what was in store years later?

onlineanalyst on February 1, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Key West Reader on February 1, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I believe you are right, I also believe that the opposition has to get organized and bolder than in the past. I have truly changed my opinion of Obama. I still think he is a narcissitic party boyand I still do not think he is the brightest guy in the mosque but I do think he is single minded, goal oriented and there is nothing he thinks can stop him.
And he might be right.

ORconservative on February 1, 2011 at 9:52 PM

We are in peril.

Key West Reader on February 1, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Key West, I always get something out of your posts. I know what you’re saying, but, Oh, he’s lying. The truth is always the opposite of whatever he is saying. I took a snippet of his speech today, which was filled with hearts and flowers and fixed it. To wit:

To the people of Egypt, particularly the young people useful idiots of Egypt, I want to be clear. We hear We’ll manipulate your voices. George Soros and I have an unyielding belief that you the Muslim Brotherhood will determine your own destiny, set the Middle East ablaze and seize the promise of a better future for away from your children and your grandchildren while striking the match of WWIII. – obama

And I agree about being in peril. Armeggedon-type peril. What is happening in the ME is his preview for the U.S. He needs to be impeached now. Every conservative should be calling for it unceasingly. If his impeachment can’t be started due to the cowardice of the gop House, the very least we need to do is beat the drum LOUDLY that this president is a clear and present danger. The People need to roar one thing only, every minute of every day: Get Out, GET OUT, GET OUT!!!! If we can’t invalidate him through Constitutional remedies, as per our politicians’ spinelessness we MUST render him COMPLETELY unable to “rule” as per the voice and public court of WE the PEOPLE.

tigerlily on February 1, 2011 at 10:03 PM

ORconservative on February 1, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Personally, I don’t think that “organization” is necessary. We know who we are. We know what to do. Exercise caution, practice restraint and protect what is yours.

Best to you and God Bless America. We will not fall.

He Will.

Key West Reader on February 1, 2011 at 10:04 PM

onlineanalyst on February 1, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Ah, the days of Richard Simmons and leg warmers.

I was thinking, onlineanalyst, that the Clash would probably have a fatwah on their heads if they tried to put that song out today. Islam is controlling us, in many ways, and their power is now being enhanced steroid-like by our muzzie ‘n chief. Why we went to Iraq and Afghanipedophlia seems a question without an answer. I knew it could all be undone overnight because of the inherent instability of the region and because we are dealing with Islam. I just never thought it would be undone by the next President of the United States of America. Or that this President could well start WWIII.

tigerlily on February 1, 2011 at 10:13 PM

tigerlily on February 1, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Where are the Repugnantcans?
They need to be in the hunt and on the attack as you say.

As far as violence and elections, concealed carry!

dhunter on February 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Repugnantcans have been reported in their usual positions, under their desks, can’t stand or sit due to missing spinal columns.

Therefore, We the PEOPLE must beat the drum on every blog in every way. We have to demand that obama GET OUT. imo, we won’t last until 2012. America has a noose around her neck, and barry is the one holding the rope.

If we let him continue, and don’t take away the rope that we foolishly gave him, oh yeah, WTF won’t even begin to describe things.

Impeach Obama Now.

tigerlily on February 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM

The fascist Obama speaks. Compare this with his response to the upheaval in Iran, a country whose dictators he admires

proconstitution on February 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM

man, how many times did he say ‘let me be clear’

cmsinaz on February 2, 2011 at 7:06 AM

Consistency….consistency.

kingsjester on February 2, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Freddy
Speak and the world is full of singing,
And I’m winging Higher than the birds.
Touch and my heart begins to crumble,
The heaven’s tumble, Darling, and I’m…

Eliza
Words!
Words! Words! I’m so sick of words!
I get words all day through;
First from him, now from you! Is that all you blighters can do?
Don’t talk of stars Burning above; If you’re in love,
Show me! Tell me no dreams
Filled with desire. If you’re on fire,
Show me! Here we are together in the middle of the night!
Don’t talk of spring! Just hold me tight!
Anyone who’s ever been in love’ll tell you that
This is no time for a chat! Haven’t your lips
Longed for my touch? Don’t say how much,
Show me! Show me! Don’t talk of love lasting through time.
Make me no undying vow. Show me now!
Sing me no song! Read me no rhyme!
Don’t waste my time, Show me!
Don’t talk of June, Don’t talk of fall!
Don’t talk at all! Show me!
Never do I ever want to hear another word.
There isn’t one I haven’t heard.
Here we are together in what ought to be a dream;
Say one more word and I’ll scream!
Haven’t your arms Hungered for mine?
Please don’t “expl’ine,” Show me! Show me!
Don’t wait until wrinkles and lines
Pop out all over my brow,
Show me now!

Skipper50 on February 2, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Dear leader is trying to take credit for the overthrow of Mubarak and freeing Egyptians from tyranny. Wait til the campaigning begins in earnest and he uses this as a shining example of his leadership.

Kissmygrits on February 2, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I didn’t have the ability to get back on here last night but I did catch CK on BOR.
I do think CK is one of the smarter guys in the room but holt sh**. He said that Obama is playing this smart by waiting to see how it shakes out and not giving an opinion on who takes over.
It sure looks to me like Obama is fully behind the MB and all this talk of democracy is some bizarre code word for Sharia. WTF (ha) am I missing?

ORconservative on February 2, 2011 at 9:35 AM

“C.K. … is … always right.”

Respectfully Key West Reader, you are mistaken. CK is often wrong. He was wrong on Obama. At the beginning of O’s admin CK insisted that ‘O’ wasn’t a socialist that would take the country over the cliff. Another of CK’s goofs was his insistence that the 2nd Amendment was not an individual right. This one came just before the Heller case. CK has a brilliant mind, but he often gets things wrong. It’s a little late for CK to be warning us to beware of Obama. We should be telling him, “Welcome to the party, pal.”

JimP on February 2, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Skandia Recluse on February 1, 2011 at 7:53 PM

No, they’ll call you racist teabagger nazis.

NJ Red on February 2, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Now means now. How complicated is that? This very instant. He doesn’t want this problem to melt like a lemon drop ten minutes from now. He wants it NOW!

The real question here is what does “must” mean: It “must” happen the way the Brat-In-Chief says he wants it to happen, or else WHAT? …”Oh, and candy and unicorns must fly out of all the protesters’ butts!”

This is not a position; it is a wish list. This is the sort of speech a third-grader would give; it’s silly for a grown man to sputter meaningless platitudes like this – let alone the person who is supposed to be the leader of the free world.

logis on February 2, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Does Obama and his administration have blood on their hands. Things are getting really ugly as details emerge.

Keemo on February 2, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Quick everybody into the pyramids!!!

B.O….how convenient this is all happening two years in and with 2 years to go. hmmm?

johnnyU on February 2, 2011 at 12:07 PM

“Insert Charlie Brown’s Teacher noises here”

mojo on February 2, 2011 at 12:32 PM

All these pesky foreign affairs must be a real distraction to Barry, when all he has ever wanted to do as president was destroy the entire American culture and rebuild it in his own image. Poor baby.

UnEasyRider on February 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM

UnEasyRider on February 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM

This isn’t distracting HIM at all.

How much of Obama’s time has this taken so far? All he did was read a short “speech” written by a random platitude generator.

This distracts US; because America will now have another front of attack. As far as Obama’s concerned, the Middle East in flames is all working in his favor.

logis on February 2, 2011 at 4:29 PM