Valerie Jarrett to uniformed officer at Alfalfa Club dinner: Get me a glass of wine, would you?

posted at 5:41 pm on February 1, 2011 by Allahpundit

C’mon, this didn’t happen. No one’s this dumb and/or tactless. Are they?

According to our tipster, Jarrett was seated at the head table along with several other big-name politicians and a handful of high-ranking military officials. As an officer sporting several stars walked past Jarrett, she signaled for his attention and said, “I’d like another glass of wine.”…

White House economic adviser Austan Goolsbee, who was seated next to Jarret, began “cracking up nervously,” our tipster said, but no one pointed out to Jarrett that the man sporting a chestful of medals was not her waiter.

“The guy dutifully went up and got her a glass of wine, and then came back and gave it to her and took a seat at the table,” our tipster said. “Everyone is in tuxedos and gowns at this thing, but the military people are in full dress uniform.”

Help me figure this out. She’s sitting there at a table with military men, all of whom doubtless were fully adorned with decorations. Which means she (a) knows the military is there and in uniform and (b) surely realizes that the officers around her would be gravely and rightly offended at being treated like gophers for some overrated Obama Chicago crony. Which in turn means this never happened, or at least that it didn’t happen quite like this. Maybe she was kidding with the guy? Or maybe she’d grabbed him a drink earlier in the evening and assumed he’d repay the favor? Waiters don’t usually wear medals, do they? C’mon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

dhunter on February 1, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Look, I don’t mean to be rude, but dog training is not my mission here. It is, or I thought is was, showing good manners and consideration for those who work for you. Yes, I’ll pass on your helpful advice on how to handle recalcitrant dogs. Okay?

jeanie on February 1, 2011 at 9:21 PM

OKAY, Sorry! ARFF!

dhunter on February 1, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Jarrett like so many libs, is a sociopathic, socialist, socialite. This wouldn’t surprise me in the least, if it didn’t play out exactly as the source said. Even with Jarrett knowing full well whom she was ordering around.

Is it all that shocking, considering what the left really thinks of our men and women in uniform? She’s an elitist Miss Piggy!

capejasmine on February 1, 2011 at 9:52 PM

I am not going to be able to give this in credence or I will become openly hostile and say many unbecoming things. This has to be a mistake.

Cindy Munford on February 1, 2011 at 9:58 PM

in = any. For goodness sakes.

Cindy Munford on February 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Know for a fact, first hand info, of one story

jeanie on February 1, 2011 at 8:48 PM

I don’t think “first hand” means what you think that it means. If you weren’t literally standing on the White House lawn when this anecdote supposedly occurred then you can’t possibly call it “first hand”.

fronclynne on February 1, 2011 at 10:09 PM

This is sad to see this here and just for the page views. Can Hot Air stick to factual reality based news, and let Slate and Fire Dog Lake be the rumor mill? So sad.

paulsur on February 1, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Wasn’t on the lawn, was inside. But since this is picky, picky night apparently–okay second hand but totally accurate. Why does it bother y’all so. Because is was the Bush seniors? And they’re GOP?

jeanie on February 1, 2011 at 10:31 PM

She was hittin on him. When we went out in uniform it was all the divorcees and old cougars who’d hit on us. The uniform drives them crazy.

Alden Pyle on February 1, 2011 at 10:39 PM

She works for a dem, not to mention Obama. Therefore, she lacks morality.

proconstitution on February 1, 2011 at 10:55 PM

jeanie on February 1, 2011 at 10:31 PM
Not because it was Bush or because their GOP, because it doesn’t pass the smell test that the Secret Service in charge of protecting the President has to have close access gets harrassed by a the dogs.
The SS is to be as unnoticeable as possible but in close proximity, to allow a dog to get hufty would be out of the norm and easily controlled by showing said animal its rightful place in the pecking order and I’m not talking about kickin its ass, necessarily!

dhunter on February 1, 2011 at 10:57 PM

No one’s this dumb and/or tactless. Are they?

You are far too gracious, AP. Or maybe you are incapable of understanding how sleazy Chicago is. But yes, this know-nothing, talentless, affirmative-action skank is that stupid and could easily pull a stunt like that.

Jaibones on February 1, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Sorry, but it’s true. If you choose not to believe it, go ahead, I can’t stop you and I have no proof. But it doesn’t change that it’s fact.

jeanie on February 1, 2011 at 11:00 PM

She then threw a 3-star general her valet ticket and a 10-spot and told him to “mind the fenders”.

This is fun…..and anyone can play.

Tim_CA on February 1, 2011 at 11:05 PM

This is the same POS that called the US and Imperialist nation. I have no time for her or her lack of respect for other people.

Army Brat on February 1, 2011 at 11:24 PM

I’d have gotten her the drink. Of course, that drink would have been accompanied by 50 bucks and a hotel room key.

trigon on February 1, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Dam desperate I see!
What would ya pay the Sec. of State?

dhunter on February 1, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Have you seen the Hildabeast these days? I’d be the one that would have to be paid.

trigon on February 1, 2011 at 11:25 PM

dammit…
“called the us AN Imperialist nation.

Army Brat on February 1, 2011 at 11:25 PM

dhunter on February 1, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I remember Barney biting a reporter but I don’t think anyone in the Bush family would think it was funny to have an unruly animal around the Secret Service. Does a man who won’t say anything bad about someone who has maligned him for three years seem like the type that would let staff take guff from a dog? I am with you on thinking there is some confusion about this story.

Cindy Munford on February 1, 2011 at 11:26 PM

I’m assuming it was a sensuous moment.

He was going that way anyway and she said, “Sensuous up, could you get me a glass of wine?”

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on February 2, 2011 at 4:39 AM

In that picture she kinda looks like Blake Griffen in drag.

Gedge on February 2, 2011 at 5:47 AM

When Jarret and other liberal military haters are lying in a MASH unit with radiation sores popping out all over them I wonder who they will be thinking of to get them water: Obama or the General?

The world is at the same point as it was with Carter and the Iranian revolution and now they have nukes.

Who let the dogs out — boom boom.

jarhead0311 on February 2, 2011 at 6:46 AM

Ms Jarret is just showing how clueless, tasteless, and breathless she can leave an audience

MSGTAS on February 2, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Hey You. Yes, you. Rub my feet. Don’t forget the Corns.

portlandon on February 1, 2011 at 5:51 PM

“Ehr, no I can’t but this girl, Katie, she’ll be right there with you”

ProudPalinFan on February 2, 2011 at 9:03 AM

C’mon, this didn’t happen. No one’s this dumb and/or tactless. Are they?

I wouldn’t be surprised considering there was a story out when Hillary Clinton was first lady she wanted to use the military detail at the White House as the wait staff since it bothered her that they just stood around doing nothing.

mizflame98 on February 2, 2011 at 9:43 AM

No way a lifelong liberal would mock a member of our armed forces. I’m sure that would never happen.

hawksruleva on February 2, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Having dealt with people of her “caliber” when I was on active duty, I believe every word of it. Many senior civilians seem to think that “civilian control of the military” makes us military members their servants.

NavyMustang on February 2, 2011 at 10:14 AM

You see, this is why I never made it past E-5 in my short 3-year stint. This enlisted man would have told her to where to go and how quickly to get there.

SKYFOX on February 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM

1. Lady to a male: “Would you mind getting me a drink?” – not out of line, could possibly have been flirting with him earlier or just expecting gentlemanly behavior. Could easily be blown out of proportion by onlookers.

2. Lady to officer: “Would you mind getting me another drink?” – knowing that military officers are often more well mannered and trained in proper behavior, could have been asking for him to be gentlemanly. Again, not out of line and could have been blown out of proportion.

3. Arrogant elitist with no respect for military, or more commonly, thought that all military are morons/buffoons that couldn’t have done anything else – “Hey, get me another drink” – completely out of line, and should be embarrassed by every media outlet for her crass behavior, general idiocy, overblown sense of self-worth, and outlandish disrespect/elitist bigotry.

4. Drunkard that couldn’t tell whom she was speaking to; “Hey, mister…get me anotha’ drink…hic!” – Social faux pax, and considering her other failures (remember who was in charge when that couple got into the White House dinner uninvited?), it certainly wouldn’t be beyond her to do so. Another miscue of this nature means that she probably needs to be relieved of her position, she just isn’t capable of representing the White House with the dignity it deserves. Imagine if she had done this to a visiting dignitary?

Geministorm on February 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Bleed’s Theorem of Liberal Parody

“It is impossible to parody a liberal”

Therefore, YES, one can believe such a thing regarding Jarret.

Bleed_thelizard on February 2, 2011 at 10:47 AM

hawksruleva on February 2, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Right there with ya hawks. Absatively Posilutely no way a drooling liberal would disrespect a member of our military. Nope nope nope… CANNNNNN’T believe it!

44Magnum on February 2, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Oh, HELL no.

tx2654 on February 2, 2011 at 11:49 AM

If she’d had as much wine as I have whiskey during National Potato Week, I wonder that she didn’t ask the potted plant to get her a glass of wine.

jakev on February 2, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Some Chick asks some Guy to get her a glass of wine …

The horror

Observation on February 2, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Jeanie must be talking about Millie’s puppies, for Heaven’s sake.

Al in St. Lou on February 2, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I believe it. After her contretemps with Desiree Rogers I suspect she’s even worse than portrayed in the news. Once someone like that reaches a certain level of power they just don’t care anymore. They are above it all.

BrideOfRove on February 2, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Its totally true, think about it. AP you just expose your willingness to give the benefit of the doubt to those who would have you washing polishing their shoes for them. Wake up already.

Viper1 on February 2, 2011 at 4:59 PM

To which the military officer responded, “You want some cheese with that whine beeeatch?”

Roy Rogers on February 2, 2011 at 7:16 PM

No one’s this dumb and/or tactless. Are they?

Well, we’d like to think so. But contempt for the military has been document among some people who should really know better, so it’s far from out of the question.

tom on February 2, 2011 at 8:53 PM

If it happened as stated & there’s no missing context which explains it, then

Jarrett has a bad case of “Do you know who I am?” disease.

Goolsbee cracking up nervously indicates he knew what was happening & was embarrassed by it.

The officer showed a lot of class & humility. Contrary to what some may think, that’s a good thing.

BD57 on February 3, 2011 at 7:37 AM

Military uniform, waiter’s uniform, it’s all the same to a liberal. At least to them the job’s the same anyway.

abcurtis on February 3, 2011 at 10:08 AM