Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on February 1, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Senate leaders from both political parties have agreed to hold a vote on legislation repealing President Obama’s health care overhaul — a top priority of GOP congressional leaders.

“The vote probably will come either Tuesday or Wednesday…

“Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, said he wanted to get the repeal effort ‘out of the system’ so the Senate could move ahead with other business. While all 47 Senate Republicans are expected to back a full repeal, the plan will not receive enough votes to clear the measure…

“The push for an outright repeal is one of several strategies the GOP leadership is using to undermine support for the law. Senate Republicans also introduced legislation Tuesday that would allow states to opt out of key provisions of the new health care law.”

***
“Senators John Barasso, R-WY, and Lindsey Graham, R-SC, have introduced The State Health Care Choice Act, written to allow states to opt out of the individual mandate, the employer mandate, expansion of Medicaid programs and “new federal requirements for regulating health insurance.” The senators, introducing the legislation at a presser, were admirably blunt…

“‘We’re opening up a third front in the challenges against Obama health care,’ said Graham. If the bill passed, ‘it would be easier for me to imagine more than half the states opting out of Obamacare. The bill would fall.’ Graham got a follow-up question, asking whether opting out would shrink the risk pool. ‘You’ve hit the point. The goal is repeal and replace.’ The goal was to bring the debate over health care into the 2012 campaign and into ‘the streets.’”

***
“Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) stopped short of guaranteeing that he would deliver all the members in his party but said he felt ‘very good’ his 53-vote caucus would stick together to defeat repeal.

“‘These Republicans are duty-bound to offer this repeal amendment,’ Durbin told reporters. ‘They did it in the House; they’re going to do it in the Senate; and we’ll just deal with it.’…

“Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said he won’t support the Republican repeal bill.

“‘I’ve always been in the mode to repair it,’ he told POLITICO on Tuesday.

“Montana Sen. Jon Tester, another moderate Democrat who has to face voters in 2012, is not expected to support repeal, either.”

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Gohawgs on February 2, 2011 at 1:53 AM

Friend, you made me laugh my a$$ off. Think I may have split my spleen.
: )

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 1:57 AM

They make it up as they go along.

John the Libertarian on February 2, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Republican:“Didn’t you say that Bush was guilty of War Crimes”..

Liberal:...”that is a strawman argument..I did not say that”

Republican: did your liberal friends say that”…

Liberal:.”yes”

Republican:
…………“do you believe that”

Liberal: …….“yes”

Republican:
……Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

That is Gold John…pure Gold.

Baxter Greene on February 2, 2011 at 1:57 AM

I think believe I deserve a wee bit more of Canuck whisky.

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 1:59 AM

By the way, the GOP establishment has officially declared that they won’t support Sarah Palin even if she wins the nomination.They have jumped the cuda.
promachus

wow. Palin wins the Republican nomination and the Republican Party closes up shop.

audiculous on February 2, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Be careful OC, a spleen is a very important organ…

Gohawgs on February 2, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Gohawgs on February 2, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Awww, hell.
Nows a good time to learn this.

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 2:02 AM

Please come and put a new tranny in for me. I will be 56 on Thursday and hate that kind of work these days.

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 1:52 AM

I should have been more specific.

I had to pay someone else to put the engine in.

……But that doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t help you with anything I could in a heartbeat.

Baxter Greene on February 2, 2011 at 2:02 AM

Baxter Greene on February 2, 2011 at 2:02 AM

Did I ever mention that I love you, my friend? I do.

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Did I ever mention that I love you, my friend? I do.

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 2:05 AM

No..but I can’t think of a better Patriot to stand with.
Stay strong Omaha.

Baxter Greene on February 2, 2011 at 2:06 AM

OC,

I once changed out the alternator in a ’78 LTD…I have NO experience with tranny’s, though…Or gear shifting thingys…

Gohawgs on February 2, 2011 at 2:06 AM

Baxter Greene on February 2, 2011 at 2:06 AM

I once blasted you and got snarky. I appreciate your rising above it.
Weak moment.

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Gohawgs on February 2, 2011 at 2:06 AM

I used to rebuild trannys. You just get to the point where you don’t want to. Wish I felt like it. I used to put water pumps in in sub-zero weather.

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 2:14 AM

I once blasted you and got snarky. I appreciate your rising above it.
Weak moment.

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Actually some of that was on point.
I listened and took in what applied.

No apologies necessary.

Baxter Greene on February 2, 2011 at 2:15 AM

The wind must be howling up in the big O, cuz that went whoosh right over your head…

Gohawgs on February 2, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Gohawgs on February 2, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Must be the whisky I keep drinking.

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Must be the whisky I keep drinking.

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 2:19 AM

I really should stop.

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 2:20 AM

I just hate spinning in neutral.

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 2:21 AM

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 2:20 AM

And put canopfor out of work?

Gohawgs on February 2, 2011 at 2:22 AM

And put canopfor out of work?

Gohawgs on February 2, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Now that is a Lolz.

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 2:23 AM

If Dems were smart, they’d vote overwhelmingly for repeal and get back to sniping at the status quo. It was a winning posture for them before, and could be a winning posture now — but by trying to hold onto the “gain” of Obamacare, they’re poisoning their position.

cthulhu on February 2, 2011 at 2:26 AM

cthulhu on February 2, 2011 at 2:26 AM

One could say the same of a “certain” politician with good hair…

Gohawgs on February 2, 2011 at 2:36 AM

pure Gold.

Baxter Greene on February 2, 2011 at 1:57 AM

You should check out the one I posted around 11:30 about Meet The Liberal Elite. That guy Battlefield has a channel on youtube with a bunch more.

John the Libertarian on February 2, 2011 at 2:36 AM

Get on topic people– the Palin/PPP commentators were obsessed with cocaine and Stevie Nicks, now it’s about fixing transmissions. UGH.

leftnomore on February 2, 2011 at 3:35 AM

Wow. Just went out to start the truck. It is bitter out there.

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 4:30 AM

now it’s about fixing transmissions. UGH.

leftnomore on February 2, 2011 at 3:35 AM

Don’t bother commenting if it annoys you.

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2011 at 4:33 AM

The Republicans should be holding up a 10-page bill that would replace Obamacare while they force repeal.

John the Libertarian on February 1, 2011 at 11:00 PM

That is funny: I can visualise the debate.

Dem: (in the usual snearing voice) Let us see what’s in that new health care bill.

Pubbie: You mean that you actually wish to see what’s in a bill this big before it is passed? When did you start that habit? Don’t you guys follow Alinsky anymore?

Don L on February 2, 2011 at 6:04 AM

good morning HA!

stay safe and warm today….

——————

what’s up with manchin?

cmsinaz on February 2, 2011 at 6:29 AM

The only way to reverse the mind set of those lock step leftist Democrats in the senate is to send them packing at the polls in 2012.

rplat on February 2, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Today the House, tomorrow, the Senate.

21 Dem Senators up for re-election, 21 short months from now.

percysunshine on February 2, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Here in Montana, Senator Tester seals his defeat with a vote against repeal. Obamacare is wildly unpopular here in Montana, and Tester knows it. One poll taken recently had Obamacare at 66% strongly dislike, and only 22% strongly like. Congressman Rehberg has decided to run for Testers Senate seat in 12…

Goodbye Tester, we won’t forget you anytime soon.
It’s smart to get every politician on record with a vote for or against this wildly unpopular bill. Tester has been in hiding for the past 18 months, won’t face the public here in Montana. Same with Baucus.

Keemo on February 2, 2011 at 7:43 AM

what’s up with manchin?

cmsinaz on February 2, 2011 at 6:29 AM

I’m of the belief that Obamacare is the Holy Grail to the Democrats, and anyone of these men/woman in that party that votes against this bill has put their own life in danger. Seriously, those who run that party are not playing games. There is a very serious worldwide move in play here.

Obamacare opens thousands of doors for big brother while closing thousands of doors for a free man.

Keemo on February 2, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Keemo on February 2, 2011 at 7:43 AM

I highly doubt the 17th Amendment will ever be repealed, but if this isn’t a perfect example of why it should be, I can’t for the life of me think of what it would be.

WesternActor on February 2, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Keemo on February 2, 2011 at 7:48 AM

scary thought…

cmsinaz on February 2, 2011 at 7:53 AM

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very Liberal Democrat, and among other liberal ideals, was very much in favor of higher taxes to support more government programs, in other words
redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to
keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the need for more government programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn’t even have time for a boyfriend, and didn’t really have many college friends, because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, ‘How is your friend Audrey doing?’ She replied, ‘ Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She’s always invited to all the parties and lots of times she doesn’t even show up for classes because she’s too hung over.’

Her wise father asked his daughter, ‘Why don’t you go to the dean’s office and ask him to deduct 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA, and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA.’ The daughter, visibly shocked by her father’s suggestion, angrily fired back, ‘That’s a crazy idea, how would that be fair! I’ve worked really hard for my grades! I’ve invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!’

The father replied, welcome to the Republican party…

audiculous = audrey

Keemo on February 2, 2011 at 8:01 AM

The father replied, welcome to the Republican party…

audiculous = audrey

Keemo on February 2, 2011 at 8:01 AM

perfect

cmsinaz on February 2, 2011 at 8:04 AM

scary thought…

cmsinaz on February 2, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Not a thought, its being forged into reality as we type about it here. Hes absolutely right. Any student of history and tyrants can see this.

orbitalair on February 2, 2011 at 8:10 AM

scary thought…

cmsinaz on February 2, 2011 at 7:53 AM

I hate to say it my friend, but that scary thought is not going to escape us here in the states. Obamacare will be repealed, wiped out and burned into ashes. The American people will not have this and are willing to fight what ever battle the Progressives throw at us. In 2012 the GOP will win back the Senate in a huge fashion, as well as taking back the White House. This leads me to ask… What is the Progressive plan to stop this from taking place. Very dangerous times lie ahead.

Unions across our nation are preparing their members for “taking it to the streets” and doing what ever it takes. If we choose to ignore what we see here in this video, we do so at our won peril. These progressives are in to win; they will not likely sit back and say oh well, we lost this time. The cash flow to unions is about to end with the GOP holding the purse strings in Congress. Union leaders have been firing up the hatred/anger buttons now for quite some time.

Keemo on February 2, 2011 at 8:12 AM

orbitalair on February 2, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Keemo on February 2, 2011 at 8:12 AM

duly noted…I’m with you guys til the end!

cmsinaz on February 2, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Cities such as LA, SF, Chicago, NY, Boston could get ugly when the flow of cash ends for the unions. There has been talk here with some of our legislators about this, and what to do if all hell breaks loose. I actually heard one of our representatives talking about the chaos and violence leading to radical choices for Obama, that this could be part of a larger plan. It blew my mind to think that our representatives have such a feeling about what Obama might do and or be planning. Paranoid, or simply trying to read the cards… For me, I’m praying for level heads to prevail, but also planning for the worst. Our basement is loaded with canned food, water, and dry food. The unsustainable nature, kicking the can down the road; it all had to end at some point in time…

Keemo on February 2, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Indeed Keemo…

cmsinaz on February 2, 2011 at 8:34 AM

We are watching Tester. I used to email his office and even called at one point, but all I got was stock talking point answers. Figured he wasn’t doing his job and had enough aides to take care of business while he went to the local buffet. He did make an appearance recently at one of the reservations to tell the people about all the govt money they will be getting from Washington after the court decision. He was also at some lib town meetings pushing his forest and land grab bill. So, yes, he does show up once in awhile.

Kissmygrits on February 2, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Kissmygrits on February 2, 2011 at 8:37 AM

That town hall meeting you referenced was tightly restrained. Members from our group were not able to get in. If you are a Montanan, check out http://www.montanashrugged.com/

Keemo on February 2, 2011 at 8:47 AM

We should not ignore what we are seeing and hearing…

Keemo on February 2, 2011 at 9:11 AM